Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,841 | Hads: 5,069

Served into a tulip.

Appearance: A superior dark amber. Light orange head comes off the body maybe 1/4".

Smell: Smell, really this beer hints of flowery pine.

Taste: Comes off bitter and piney. Kinda like a piney and flowery ale like I said above but in all honesty looks and smells like your normal IPA but serves much much more smoother than that, Almost too smooth with a hint of wood.

Mouth: Medium/heavy carbonation, but compliments the sour taste bitter taste.

Overall: Pretty good beer comes off like a watered down IPA. The way this was sold to me was like it was the best ale made since sliced bread. Stone never fails in making a good beer but this by far isn't their greatest accomplishment. (712 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%

Had this on-tap at Spike's tonight (as well as Tuesday night). I'm loving "Most Arrogant Bar in the Country" week!

Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Crystal clear orange-brown body with randomly-placed shades of red. Head is initially foamy and khaki-colored, but eventually settles as a creamy, sticky cap. Very nice head retention on the whole and lots of web-like lacing.

Smell: Big, buttery oak dominates the nose. A better description might be buttered popcorn with some sweet oak and hints of vanilla. Sweet and pleasant. Hardly comparable to regular Arrogant Bastard.

Taste: Buttery oak, caramel, and resinous piney hops. Not much bitterness unfortunately. Similar to regular Arrogant Bastard, but oakier/butterier and all around dulled.

Mouthfeel: This felt surprisingly watery. Carbonation was very low (borderline flat) and body was definitely thin. On top of that, bitterness and alcoholic kick were both weak.

Drinkability: While this was certainly smoother and easier than regular AB, I really missed that extra arrogance. Oaked Arrogant Bastard on-tap was just too flat and dull. Still tasty though. (1,130 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Welp, I'm not sure how 'special' this is for review #200, but seeing as Arrogant Bastard was one of the first beers I REALLY liked, why not review the oaked version right now; not only to compare it to regular AB, but to see how far my tastes have changed since then? 12 oz bottle poured into a tumbler pint glass.

A: Pours a reddish chestnut brown color with low translucence and extreme arrogance (at least it's supposed to be arrogant!) The head is a one finger light cream color with a fantastic texture that settles down into a thin, creamy looking film.

S: Light baker's chocolate, oak, vanilla, toffee, hazelnut, herbal hops, and caramel malt. Pleasantly aromatic, but a little weak.

T: I expected this to taste like Arrogant Bastard with slight oakiness...and indeed it does. Initial flavors are very nutty and caramel-y, before giving way to loads of oily pine resin. The oak profile only seems to plane away some of the harshness from the piny hops and help accentuate the nut flavors. Actually, this is kind of subdued in general flavor wise, even pleasant once you're accustomed to the bitterness.

M: Just like regular AB, it's medium bodied, with an oily, resinous aftertaste loaded with big hoppiness. Like I said before, its slightly tannic nature softens up the harshness slightly but gives a cleaner, drier finish...which is saying something considering how dry regular AB is. Adequate, pleasantly controlled carbonation round out the texture.

O: Arrogant Bastard is no longer one my favorite beers now, but after two misfires from Stone (Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla Bean and Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale), it's good to have them get back into my good graces again with this solid - if not amazing - drink. Long live liquid arrogance! (1,753 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark ruby brown pour with a small dense tan head. Mellow grapefruit and vanilla aroma with hints of dark fruit. Malty vanilla and oak flavor up front, slightly nutty flavor in the middle, little bit of honey, leading to a dry and bitter finish. Medium body. (257 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -16.2%

A_Pours a purplish,burgundy with a one finger tan head. Looks amazing.

S_Huge oak aroma,subdued hops,and sweet malt.

T_Really really strong oak presence. Floral hops and sweet malt. The oak dominates for sure.

M_Medium bodied. Coats the mouth nicely.

D_Decent brew. Definitely better than the regular. But with the huge amount of oak its a definite sipper. One bottle is hard enough to get through. (402 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -16.2%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic. "Best by 09 08 09" printed lightly on the bottom of the bottle.

A- Clear reddish amber. Pours with 2+ fingers of creamy tan head, which fades very slowly to a solid cap; incredible retention. Ample lacing.

S- Bit of pine/herbal hoppiness....perhaps some oaken notes. Light maltiness. Hints of metallic aroma.

T- Pine & herbal hop, hints of malty sweetness, smoky/charcoal/wood, metallic twinge. A lot going on with the interjection of oak...interesting, but not completely working for me.

M- Moderate carbonation with a pretty full feel. Actually fairly creamy, and goes down smooth....oiliness builds and coats as consumed. Quite good here.

D- Ok. The oakiness would seems to dull my palate pretty rapidly, so I don't think I'd ever opt for more than one 12 oz'er at a time.

Future outlook: This was alright, but for my money, wasn't as good as "regular" AB. Probably won't revisit anytime soon. (943 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -16.2%

Bought at Parti-Pak Liqours in Indy. I got there last three 12oz bottles. The next Time I went in there, they had a big ass magnum of the stuff on sale for about $60.

My first Oaked Arrogant Bastard.... Ohhh joyous day.

Appearance- Reminds me of a Peruvian Walnut I saw at the local exotic wood store some 2 months back. Light tan head that hngs around for awhile, but digresses to a thick foam. Very light bubbling, but some sporadic lacing sticks fast to my pint glass.

Smell- For a second or two, it smelled like BO and bananas. The Bo subsides greatly after a few more sniffs. The hops mixes a bit oddly with the oak in this offereing. Give the beer an aroma tha isn't as flattering as expected. The bananas was really of putting but unique though.

Taste- Hops and oak come together in an odd marriage. Not as pleasing as I expected. The first flavor is that of stinky, Pacific hops the lend an almost musty bitterness. The oak kicks in a little later in the middle of the palate. The some bitter bisciut hit you right after the oak and its light vanilla nuance towards the end.

Very unique, ans still worth the tiume and effort to come by it. But it definetly wasn't the orgasmic brew I had expected. I'll save one bottle for aging, with no time limit set at the moment. I will get back to you on how that turns out. (1,341 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours big and bold. It didn't seem like I was going to get a head on it, so halfway through, more aggressive I became. Head was there, and it was one of those cascading beauties that you usually see with Imperial Stouts. Brownish when I look at it on the table, orange hued when held up to the light. Topped by the aforementioned head, thick and creamy, the color off-white, with bright orange highlights. Some nice lacing as the head retreats.

Aroma is strong in this one, citrus and caramel mainly.

Caramel is my first impression, followed quickly by red grapefruit. As far as the "oaking" of this beer, I have to say that it's on the low spectrum. Some general woodiness, a bit of vanilla, I'm not quite sure how to interpret, but it's pretty good. I'd like to do a side by side with the original, as well as the double. For some reason, I was under the impression that this was barrel aged, and that this would have more of a bourbon flavor. I'm happy to say it's not. I'm not a fan generally of those flavors, therefore, I'm happier with this than I anticipated. Digressions aside, this is a very tasty beer. A bit of alcohol warmth as the temperature of the beer drops, but not anywhere near a "bite." The downside here, is the hops seem quite a bit less assertive. I wish they were more up front.

Mouthfeel is good, very full bodied and surprisingly, quite refreshing.

Overall, I could drink a few, but definitely not what I'd call a session beer. More like a special occasion beer. Still, a fine beer, but I prefer the original AB much better. (1,557 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

This brew pours a dark mahogany color with a large, billowy, tannish-white head. Lacing is thorough, and sticks all over to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of grapefruit, grapes, and oak. The taste is of brash hops, and abrasive oak. It is like drinking a board. Nothing is in harmony. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer. I guess it could be considered a good beer, if you are looking for something with a lot of flavor, but don't care whether or not those flavors work well together. (539 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a dark ruby color with an off white head that dissipates quickly to lace on the sides of the glass. The smell is an odd mix of hops, pine, and grapefruit. The taste is of grapefruit and pine with a little beer in there too. I couldn't drink to many of these, in fact I like the non oak version much better. It was nice to try, but not one of my favorites. (361 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Sampled at the Winter Beerfest in Philly.

A- A very dark, ruby/emerald stone appearance. Red and orange tints throughout. No head on this, seems like it may be flat.

S- Cherry aroma is first, followed by earthy and oaky notes.

T- Tastes somewhat like cherry pitts, nice and sweet. Oak flavors and flower petals add a nice herbal flavor. Some hoppiness detected in the background.

M- Very smooth, slightly astringent. Medium bodied brew. Almost no carbonation.

D- Easily drinkable, goes down easy. I have to say I kind've put this beer on a pedestool heading into the festival as one of my must try's and was a little let down. Maybe I'll have to revesit this one later. (675 characters)

Sample: 1 bottle 2012

A: Ruby red with hints of orange, minimal internal carbonation, very minimal head, translucent

S: Quite strange in my opinion, I can appreciate elements of oak and citrus, but it's over powered by a soy sauce/asparagus menagerie of scents that I certainly can't say I enjoy

T: Despite the rave reviews I remain unimpressed, takes on a definite woody characteristic, but any real flavors seem lost this nebulous alcohol-infused void, still nice sweet and bitter balance

M: Pretty smooth, a bit deterred by the nose and flavor, but drinkable, moderate oak aftertaste, and a bit drying on the palate

O: Perhaps I got a rogue bottle, but as it is fresh and the seals are intact I'm confident in declaring this beer over-rated, and while it has some redeemable qualities, not reminiscent of the quality I've come to expect from Stone (855 characters)

2006

A: Color of a ten year tawney. Cloudy and murky, loads of toffee highlights. Head has a medium creaminess, khaki colored.

S: Clay, band aid, caramel, bit of vanilla and over ripe peach.

T: Begins very oakey, extremely oakey actually. Actually oak is all I can taste and not necessarily in a positive way. Its not subtle, there aren't wisps of vanilla, its just oak. That's where the band aid smell came from because its coming thru in the beer too. Finishes lightly fruity and very bitter with more oak. As it warms, some depth does break thru but too little too late.

The thing about the oak is, this beer isn't aged in barrels. Oak chips are added and you can tell. The oak completely dominates the Arrogant Bastard. A good oaking should highlight the flavors, not dominate.

M: Medium body, full mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

D: Don't get me wrong, I still finished every sip of this beer. Perhaps I got a bad bottle but I doubt it. I've got the rest of the six pack to update my reviews if I feel its necessary. I'm a huge fan of barrel aged beers...I love the complexity it adds to the brew. This one simply has too much oak. (1,151 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Attractive aroma. A sour, vinegar like smell. Nice bodied appearance, but very thin on the palate, watery. The flavor is thin too. A slight bitter, then oak with a malty finish. The poor balance is what turns me off. The different aspects of beer are not working in harmony. (274 characters)

Cask @ Real Ale Fest 6/04 Carlsbad

This beer is a hazy/murky brown, with a big bubbled foam. The aroma was just slightly hoppy, with some malt, and the smell of wet wood. On tasting, I got a restrained bitterness coupled with sweet malt and a mild roastiness. It seem to change on me and was sometimes sweet, sometimes dry. I'm not good at picking out vanilla. I just couldn't get a hold of this beer -- not clean enough, not hoppy enough...

I almost wet my pants when this beer appeared at the festival, but I was sorta disappointed when I finally got it. (562 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance: Dark red-amber, good head and lacing.

Smell: Stuck my nose in while pouring and got nothing but a kind of earthy smell.

Taste: Pine and citrus bitterness at first, then a splash of oaky flavor before a long bitter finish.

Drinkability: I like the 12oz bottle, I don't like the price tag.

Picked up a single of this to try over in Wiscoland. Other than the disappointing smell, this was a pretty solid beer. The oak is present, but not over the top. (464 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a ruddy brown color with a dirty sheet colored, finger high head. Tight froth with both great retention and lacing.

Caramel malt with some light chocolate aroma an even mix of vinous dark fruit, medicinal hops, alcohol and oak chips. Steady and heavy aroma that highlights more alcohol and medicinal hops and grape than the chocolate and oak.

Molasses, toffee, simple syrup malt profile. Very sweet in the forefront before medicinal and pine hops smash down the sweetness with a bitter kick that never really gets to it's potential as the oak smooths out this beer. The oak really aids in keeping this going as the sweetness and the bitterness don't get to follow through in the after taste.

Syrupy, viscous but less heavy than it feels on the tongue. Carbonation is average and the oak attempts to create a drying feel. Alcohol is evident despite the strong malt profile.

Higher marks overall because I know in my head that this beer is well built with full flavor and is balanced. The combination of grapey fruit, syrupy malt and medicinal/pine hops is not my favorite. The oak brings out an interesting dimension but only serves to increase the booze and palate bashing flavors. More of a double ESB with oak, not my favorite. (1,240 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

Two fingers easy of light tan colored foam, islands of larger bubbles, however, displays very good retention and density, thick brushes of lacing. Light cloud to the redwood colored liquid, near to opaque, more of a zinc orange further out. There's a flatness to the nose, not necessarily a lack of scents per se, just a certain lack of vigor in the vanilla, chocolate base as well as the creamy whiskey notes and golden raisin, red cherry, apricot scents, this leaves extra room for the hops, grains and grasses to assert themselves whereas otherwise they would come off as more contained. Medium-bodied, whipped up and foamy in the mouth to no obvious specific end, More oomph in the caramel, vanilla fudge, mocha flavors, some sweet cedar as well. Same goes for a mild elevation in the nectarine, apricot, pineapple, peach fruit but, truly, not much. Some orange to lemon citrus yet surprisingly light. Seems to depend more on brute power than offering a richer array of flavors. Telltale astringency through the finish puts out any final thought of flavors reverberating. (1,075 characters)

Sampled: 1.5.07

Appearance of this brew is of reddish liquefied light caramel underneath a thick head. Head is dense and colored of a darker shade of eggnog. Some lacing clings.

The aroma is quite hoppy, full of juicy citrus notes. A quite peculiar and unique quality comes through on deeper inhalations, that seems to be a rich earthy honey like smell. And I mean, like, real honey; as in straight from the hive. I can only assume this comes from the wood aging, as it does not smell of what I remember from regular AB.

The flavor is immediately bitter, the particular style of hops jumping up, no doubt. The earthy honey sweetness comes though, and balances with the hop fruitiness. Its carbonation is in the mid range and coats the mouth with hop oiliness.

The beer is quite rich and a slow drinker, one 12 ouncer was more than enough. I liked it, but I didn’t think it really improved upon Arrogant Bastard, so I most likely won’t get it again. With a tag of oak aging, I was hoping for more complexity. The unique aroma & flavor described, really wasn’t that appealing to me, so I was let down somewhat in that respect. But hey, you win some, you lose some. (1,177 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Copper-amber with a 2-finger tan head. Oily lace trails down the glass as the head recedes.

S: Somewhat muted, but piney hops make their way to the front. Slight oaky smell, but nothing dramatic. A solid sweet malt base can be detected.

T: Like the original Arrogant Bastard, but slightly less powerful and with a noticeable trailing woodiness. The malt base is stronger than you might expect, almost lager-like. Pretty well balanced overall.

M: Quite thin. Much thinner than I expected from a "big" beer like this. Carbonation definitely needs to be higher.

O: Meh, it's good, but definitely nothing I would seek out again. I guess I was expecting something "bigger", but in fact I found the opposite. Hints of oak, no bourbon, faint vanilla, thin body, and a reserved flavor overall. Plus, it's expensive. All things considered, I'll look elsewhere for my next brew. (875 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -17.4%

Appears a near transparent auburn toned amber with a fluffy, ivory head that slowly fades into a dense, soapy cap. Tons of hearty, scattered lace sticks around the glass.
Smell is of caramel, flowers, mild grapefruit, pineapple, light vanilla, earthy spiciness, and gentle oak tannins that may have been missed had I not known oak chips were added to the mix. Aromas were lighter than anticipated.
Taste is spicy, sweet caramel, overly bitter of grapefruit along with gentle woody tannin flavor.
Mouthfeel is astringent, bitter, medium bodied, sweet, with the balance being out of wack and very little evidence of the American Oak.
Drinkability...I'm not believing the hype with this one. This may be one of the most over-rated beers I've seen on this site IMHO. I'm just not feeling it..."I'm not worthy." (810 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -17.4%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter at 45 degrees.

A. Very dark ruby red shines through when I hold it up to the light.About a 2 finger tan head appears as I pour this aggresively,but dissapates very quickly.Decent carbonation.Good sticky laceing.

S. I,m not sure if it's because this was poured right out of the fridge,but I,m not getting to much in the smell. I get hoppy piney notes first and I definately am getting the wood chips also some caramel malts in there,a little faint.

T. Quit hoppy and bitter,Oak definately comes through along with the hop bitterness.Hints of caramel and vanilla possibly,more hopps than I expected,not much else.

M. Medium mouthfeel,carbonation stings my tounge as this goes down.

Overall its not my favorite of the Bastard line up but I like what they did with this.I want to get this again in the future.If you enjoy the style I would say get this. (887 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into a brandy snifter.

A: Rich ruby in the shade that grows lighter and more brilliant in the light. A finger of head fades quickly.

S: Soft, sweet, and round. Loads of malt. Floral vanilla? Weird fruit. Cough syrup, but no hops.

T: Completely different from what I had on tap many moons ago. Hops are present as unpleasant bitterness on the end/aftertaste. The rest is aggressively alcoholic (bourbon-y?) malty-vanilla sweetness that is oppressive, but not unpleasant.

M: Carbonation would be a welcome relief from the the vanilla-sweetness of the maintaste. A bit thick/sticky.

O: The beer grows on me, but I am still dubious as to the overall worth. This iteration is a bit malt-heavy for me, with not enough oak (just wannabe bourbon influence). (782 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%

Brown opaque with small lasting head. Aroma of smoked oak, pepper, leafy hops and vegetables. Taste is very woody and plenty of hops. Damn, so much oak. Great palate, Stone-like. This one was a little too much for me but I can say it was interesting to taste. (259 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%

A-Brilliant cherrywood colored...

S-Fruits (pears and apples) and Citrus(tangerines, oranges,) also some obvious piney notes...caramel maltiness....light vanilla/oak notes evident but it took a few sniffs...also some dark berries.

T-Not as good as the aroma....kind of a flavorless muddled taste....some decent piney bitterness but not a lot more other than a mild oak impression...

M-Medium to full....low carbonation....not as bitter on the finish as on the start...

D-The look and smell of this beer had me excited but it just doesn't do much for me after that...Ok...nothing more.. (589 characters)

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.