Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,841 | Hads: 5,070
3.37/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- One-finger off-white head. Several minute-long retention. Nice lacing and good carbonation. Auburn color with low clarity. Hazy and appealing.

S- Strong dark smells, yeast and some booze scents. Definitely some wood chips.

T- Bitter, deep and aggressive. Definite wooden taste that fights with the booze for control of the bitterness. Not an ideal taste, but I suppose I knew what I was getting into.

M- Smooth and very dry. Malty feel in the end.

O- Meh. Not my preferred style, but not as bad as some of the recent offerings I've had from Stone. Maybe I'm just not in the right mood to enjoy it to the extent it seems most people have. (738 characters)

Bb: 05.18.11

A: Pours dark brown when held to the light reveals beautiful cherry tones with excellent clarity. Single finger toasted peanut head falls to a quilt of the same. Persistent lacing.

S: Earthy hops, hints of vanilla from the oak, sweet backbone with sweet malts. I'm surprised by this, but so far, I'm not sensing much difference from the flagship version.

T: Now I get it! Theres so much oak sweetened vanilla, cola tones on this. It's a completely different beer. Nice surprise. Sweet, dry, fun. Not much hop presence. Earthy tones.

M: Medium to syrupy body with low carbonation. dry and....dry on the finish.

O: well done, prefer the flagship, but not bad either. (683 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed January 5th, 2012. Poured a 12 oz bottle into a JFF is my BFF novelty pint glass.

A: Poured a nice one fingered creamy head. Rusty Maroon that laces nicely.

S: A slight alcohol comes through. The head that is present almost gives this a soapy smell. I really can't smell oak coming off of this, but instead its more pine. A tree is a tree though.

T: This is presented similar to a traditional Arrogant Bastard with a malty sweetness with a bitterness (citrus) coming throughout. The oaken taste comes right before the pine hits, but then the pine flavor takes over.
Instead of pine coming though more as this warms up instead the citrus is sadly more present.

M: Because of its head a creaminess comes though. Feels full body and the carbonation is decently there.

O: Sadly the taste of this drink doesn't stay the same throughout. It starts off tasting similar to a barleywine, but then it changes to a DIPA back and forth. Even though I loved this drink the first time I had it I can't say that I would pick it up again especially since its price tag. (1,072 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19.8%

12oz bottle purchased from Claredon Wines in Boston for $3.25. Pours a ruby brown with ample head but little carbonation. Surprisingly little aroma. Flavour is of nice roasted malts. But I'm not getting much oak in the flavour. Sure, it's a nice beer - but at its price, I am hoping for something more special. I also wasn't enthralled with the regular Arrogant Bastard, so maybe I'm just not programmed right for this beer. (424 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -20%

355ml bottle bought from Beersofeurope.co.uk...

Poured a deep coppery orange colour. Mocha tan head poured tight, thick and foamy with a meringue like top then faded slowly to wispy covering... barely any carbonation... lots of sticky lacing lines...

Aroma - Lots of toasted toffee and caramel maltiness followed by noticeable oakiness, strong citrusy and peppery hop notes, dark fruits (strong blackcurrents, figs, some cherries), some booziness, toasted nuts, earthy, light liquorice, some orange, malt loaf, burnt sugar sweetness, some faint coffee traces...

Taste is a bit of a let down after the good aromas - nothing seems to meld very well... Strong and harsh oaky notes to the fore followed by toasted bready and toffee malts, noticeable alcohol burn, piney hop resin, fruit cake notes, light treacle sweetness, ripe fruits (raisins, spicy apples, bitter oranges), butterscotch and vanilla, metallic traces, some medicinal notes...

Feel - Sharp initially then a little smoothness comes through... medium... too harsh and boozy to be very drinkable..

Overall - A bit of a disappointment this one... i love AB but this just wasn't for me... (1,151 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -20%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a N'Ice Chouffe stemgoblet in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are moderately high, but Stone has disappointed me a bit in the past.

A: Pours a three finger head of decent cream, fair thickness, and pretty good retention for the above-average ABV. Colour is a nontransparent dark copper. It leaves a bit to be desired.

Sm: A musty mixture of hops, oak, and yeast. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Pleasant hops balance with the surprisingly restrained oak tone and the welcome yeasty notes for a pretty good balance of flavour. No alcohol is detectable. That said, it's pretty simple - an unexpected characteristic considering Stone's preoccupation with appearing to be the big bad bastards in the room. It's good but boring, and the oak aging doesn't seem to significantly alter the beer in comparison to the regular version.

Mf: Smooth and wet, capitulating to consumer interest yet suiting the flavours. All in all, it's well made.

Dr: While it won't satisfy fans of complex, intense beers (contrary to Stone's marketing), it remains a good beer I'd have again on draught. Don't expect anything incredible; you won't find it here. It hides its ABV well. The price isn't bad here in California, but I imagine this is far from the truth in other states. (1,361 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -20%

Darker red than the arrogant bastard. Also a bit darker head that doesn't grow as high and very little lacing to it.

Smells like hops, pine,caramel malts, and a hint of bourbon at the end.

Tastes a lot like the original at first. The hops right up front then a caramel flavor followed by the piney taste. It finishes however with a weird bourbon flavor. Somehow it just doesn't taste right to me. Like they used pressboard bourbon barrels or something.

Medium bodied decent carbonation to it. Nice and smooth right up til the end when the wood chip flavor kicks in.

I truthfully wouldn't ever get this on my own. I just don't like the flavor that the "oaked" adds to it. I'll drink, but only when I am not the one paying for it. (733 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%

12 oz bottle. Pours a deep murky red with a frothy light tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is caramel, fruits and raw hops with some woody vanilla.

The flavor is sweet caramel and melon with a strong harsh grassy (almost medicinal) bitter finish that lingers into the aftertaste. The bitterness mellows as it warms and becomes more vanilla oak. The mouthfeel is medium and kind of watery.

Overall, more one-sided and harsher bitterness than I remember the regular Arrogant Bastard. (514 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%

Aroma - A mild aroma with citrus and floral hops. The oak comes through in the aroma.

Appearance - Deep copper in color with a light tan head. The head poured 1 1/2 finger widths, but dissipated to 3/4 finger widths. Slight haze. Good lacing.

Flavor - Some citrus hop flavor. Caramel. Malty, but not sweet/cloying. Smokey? Has malt backbone, but bitterness dominates. The bitterness lingers on the finish.

Mouth feel - Medium body. Average carbonation.

Overall Impression - A drinkable beer. The oak is interesting. It seems the oak subdues the hop flavor making it bitter with out the nice hop flavor. (607 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Expected more from this beer being oaked age. Poured light body, smells of malts and oak. Taste is thin with hints of vanilla with a burn from the alcohol at the end. (166 characters)

On tap at St. James Infirmary

Very dark, opaque color. Some head that retained for a couple of sips.

Smell is not too noteworthy, but there is some wood in there.

Taste is a huge slap on the tongue. A "strong" ale to be sure. The oakey finish is cool, but overall it feels very dry and bitter. It was hard to finish my 13 oz. glass because it's such a bastard! The flavor is complex and commendable, but it's just not easy to enjoy.

It's been a while since I had a regular Bastard, but if my memory serves me right, I prefer that one to this. The OAKED is a cool beer to try because it is unique and complex, but at the end of the day, the regular one is less expensive and still quite tasty. I'll be trying the Double Bastard this week and I'm excited to see how that compares.

I'm also wondering if the batch the Bros. had from 2003 is substantially different from the one I tried. I'll never know! (905 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -21%

It's really brown. Browner, certainly, than your regular ale, but far from the reddish tone I might expect from an oaky beer. The head swelled nicely as I poured this into my Flying Dog pint glass, and a full layering remained as the beverage sat, waiting on my approach. All in all, it's a darker brown (not bronze) than I expected, and that disappoints me slightly. +0.5, however, for the Stone gargoyle.

I definitely smell the oak, but not as much as I had hoped. I don't know why, but this beer I have here is not very aromatic. The taste, I'm sorry to report, is also lacking. I taste an okay ale with a little oak chip flavor. It's okay, but it's not worth the hype and $17 price tag (sixer) it fetches around these parts. With no way to avoid seeing the high "A" rating this beer has before I produce my own review, I'm particularly disappointed that I don't regard this beverage more highly. With Greensboro's own Red Oak as my standard for a good oak beer, I must report that this beer is inferior to that and MAYBE slightly better than average. The gargoyle, however, won't save the rating this time.

The mouthfeel is purty good. Like I've communicated this far, I don't think this beer has a lot of character. Though I yearn for more flavor as I feel the beer, I can say that I enjoy the feel. Still, I'm determined to write an independent review. Mouthfeel is just better than average. The beer's okay, but I won't follow the first with a consecutive second. Stone is good and oak is good, but this beer is average. (1,529 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

12 oz bottle. Beer was about a month past the drink-by date when sampled. Apparently this is not supposed to matter much..

Pours translucent ruby brown, good tan head. Smell is earthy malts, a bit of must; in fact, with nice sweet notes. First taste is a sheet of (one-dimensional) hops that turns into the customary AB fruity, butterscotchy, malty thing, followed by a super-dry finish that I can only liken to "sucking on a wood chip." Not my thing, but I'm glad I tried it once. (482 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.7%

Substantially better than Arrogant Bastard.

Pours from a bottle into a snifter a nice brown color, with some red in there, too.

Smells mostly like beer. Also some non-descript fruity sweetness. Orange rind. Maybe maple syrup? Who knows.

The taste is not as complex as I had hoped. I enjoyed the woody dry finish and to a lesser extent, the nuttiness.

The mouthfeel tended to be thin and overly-carbonated, but thankfully the latter subsided over the course of the beer.

Sessionable? Absolutely not.

Interesting concept, decent flavor. Good, but I had higher hopes. (582 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -22.2%

[3.75 for a 12oz picked out of a sixer at Downtown Wine and Spirits, Somerville a couple of days ago]

Ruby beer with a killer head - not overly huge, but very pretty and long-lasting and massive lacing. Aroma is very light, actually. Pleasant, perfumy lavender and pink grapefruit. A bit of a zingy chemicalness all the way through. At first the nice caramel malts (and a little roast too) help to cover it up, but it continues past when the malt is gone. Also leaves tobacco leaves on the tongue. Medium-thick body is kind of creamy, but also becomes a bit thin and sketchy towards the end.

Eh, one is enough. This is too mellow and the finish tastes a bit like household cleanser. Overall it is a real disappointment, considering how much I like the regular bastard and most of Stone's other beers. To be honest, I would not have guessed that this was a Stone beer if I did not pour it myself, since it is not up to Stone's standard of excellence. (956 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a glass...

Went far to pick this up cold.

Nice dark amber/caramel color... warm brown head, nice lacing.

Can smell that oak aged alcohol aroma with a little bitter and sour.

Taste is quite strong, and not as sweet/malty as the non-oaked. Great pine-like and woody hop flavor... the oak takes the malts down a couple of notches.

Alcohol aftertaste.. tastes stronger than the woodless. Dry finish.

Nice to have just one. A great ale to have with dinner. (482 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

Kudos to Stone for joining the raging oak trend. I love what oak can do for a beer. I had a hard time with this one though. There was too much going on. The hops dominated my brew and really didn't seem to let much of the oak or malt body come through. Maybe aging will help but to me that seems a cop out and my score is reflective of my tasting. I preferred the regular AB to this one. Apparently I am not worthy per the bottle:-) (432 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

Appearance is dark brown with a moderate amount of foam. Smells of oak and spices. Taste was somewhat disappointing; the oak flavor dominates everything else. There was a bit of spices, maybe some cinnamon in there, but overall the flavor was on the weak side aside from the oak. It's hard to believe this is the case with a Stone beer, who make some of the best I've tasted, but this one wasn't all that impressive. It was OK to drink while taking my time, but I wouldn't have wanted another one anytime soon. (510 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

Yawn. What oh right. This beer is pretty much like the regular bastard which is ok in its own right. Nice amber hue small weak head, low carbonation. The smell is strong alcohol mixed with some malty profile that could be anything, there is a nutty woody presence with of course plenty of hops in case. The hops seem more toned down but the oak flavor is a little to bite-y with the alcohol. It is a decent blend but I think it might need more time to mellow. I could drink a 6 pack in a week, but not something I would get regularly. (534 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -23.2%

Dark brown (tea colored when you hold it to light) not a lot of head, modest lacing. Aroma is woody grapefruit. Tastes hoppy with toasted caramel malt. The oak really comes through in the taste, I don’t think it improves on regular Arrogant Bastard without oak. The oak gives it an interesting new twist but Arrogant Bastard is already a damn good beer that is hard to improve on. That said I enjoyed drinking this beer. The flavor was interesting and complex with a nice bitter finish. The mouthfeel was full, carbonation was a little light. I probably won't drink this again since the Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard are better. (635 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

Same cough syrup red color with a decent tan head. I honestly do see my difference between this the the regular stuff. Lots of spicey and piney hop aroma. Huge bitterness. Long agressive finish. The oak here is subtle at best. For some reason, I am enjoying this more that the regular bottle I had a couple of weeks ago. (320 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

I tried a regular Arrogant Bastard about a year ago, and found myself not worthy. So, a year later, when I saw the Oaked AB, I thought I'd give it another shot, to see if my tastes had changed.

Well, they may have changed but I still don't care for the beer that much. Aside from a very, very slight hint of vanilla in the nose, I didn't find much oakiness in this beer.

Looked good, aromas were definite hop bomb, flavor was very bitter but not much else.

As much as I loved the Double Bastard Ale, I guess I'll never care much for it's little brother, oaked or not. (578 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -25.5%

First impression: Is this Kool-Aid? Damn, this beer looks red and clear, you'd almost think it was a wine cooler.

Smell: Ok, I think I've nailed it: fresh cut lumber. Yes, this beer smells like sawdust, Home Depot, and all the good memories you have from your days with a circular saw.

Taste: I almost grimaced at first, because it was so oaky and bitter, it really cuts your tongue. You wonder for a second if you just put varnish or turpentine in your mouth. The more you drink it, the more pronounced the oakiness becomes, and the beer cuts less.

This beer is one of the most unique I've ever come across. It is so oily, it really looks like a wine or some sort of wood stain. If you've ever wondered what wine afficionados mean when they note a wine as being "oaky", look no further. This beer is like the crazy uncle of the tamer wood product- maple syrup.

I paid $15.99 for a six pack. Yes, cheaper than a bar, but still a costly endeavor. (950 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -25.5%

Served on-tap to a medium wine glass at Taco Mac in Austel, Georgia. Earlier today from notes.

Looked great. A deep mahogany brown with orange highlights. A short but stunning caramel/creamy head. By the time I was finished there was lacing from top to the bottom of the glass.

Smell was malty, sweet and boozy. Tastes sweet from abundant malts with strong bitterness, particularly on the finish. A little booze. I didn't pick up on any wood whatsoever.

The mouth feel was sharp and not at all smooth like I would expect from a barrel-aged beer.

I did not want another when I was done. I switched to something else.

What a huge disappointment. Not a bad beer, but I expected something great. I'll try it again, maybe from the bottle next time. (748 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -26%

served into a pint glass from a 12oz. brown bottle with crimped-on cap,painted on logo on bottle.

Good moderate aroma,citrusy,piney,earthy, smokey,roasty,a smell of fresh cut wood,a pleasing,fresh,complex aroma.

Very citrusy taste,also piney,burnt carmell,with a taste of wood. A tart,acidy flavor a bit to my disliking.Finishes with a very sharp and bitter citrus rind note also a bit to my disliking. Too much of an acidity taste for me.

A creamy mouthfeel,medium body,prickley with tongue swelling bitterness.
The drinkability a bit down just because of all acidity,not all bad,I'd say this beer is a bit over-hyped to me. Just wasn't all that impressed with this beer. (682 characters)

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.