Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours big and bold. It didn't seem like I was going to get a head on it, so halfway through, more aggressive I became. Head was there, and it was one of those cascading beauties that you usually see with Imperial Stouts. Brownish when I look at it on the table, orange hued when held up to the light. Topped by the aforementioned head, thick and creamy, the color off-white, with bright orange highlights. Some nice lacing as the head retreats.

Aroma is strong in this one, citrus and caramel mainly.

Caramel is my first impression, followed quickly by red grapefruit. As far as the "oaking" of this beer, I have to say that it's on the low spectrum. Some general woodiness, a bit of vanilla, I'm not quite sure how to interpret, but it's pretty good. I'd like to do a side by side with the original, as well as the double. For some reason, I was under the impression that this was barrel aged, and that this would have more of a bourbon flavor. I'm happy to say it's not. I'm not a fan generally of those flavors, therefore, I'm happier with this than I anticipated. Digressions aside, this is a very tasty beer. A bit of alcohol warmth as the temperature of the beer drops, but not anywhere near a "bite." The downside here, is the hops seem quite a bit less assertive. I wish they were more up front.

Mouthfeel is good, very full bodied and surprisingly, quite refreshing.

Overall, I could drink a few, but definitely not what I'd call a session beer. More like a special occasion beer. Still, a fine beer, but I prefer the original AB much better.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.