Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,046 | Reviews: 1,848
3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark ruby brown pour with a small dense tan head. Mellow grapefruit and vanilla aroma with hints of dark fruit. Malty vanilla and oak flavor up front, slightly nutty flavor in the middle, little bit of honey, leading to a dry and bitter finish. Medium body.

3.52/5  rDev -16.2%

3.52/5  rDev -16.2%

3.51/5  rDev -16.4%

A_Pours a purplish,burgundy with a one finger tan head. Looks amazing.

S_Huge oak aroma,subdued hops,and sweet malt.

T_Really really strong oak presence. Floral hops and sweet malt. The oak dominates for sure.

M_Medium bodied. Coats the mouth nicely.

D_Decent brew. Definitely better than the regular. But with the huge amount of oak its a definite sipper. One bottle is hard enough to get through.

3.51/5  rDev -16.4%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic. "Best by 09 08 09" printed lightly on the bottom of the bottle.

A- Clear reddish amber. Pours with 2+ fingers of creamy tan head, which fades very slowly to a solid cap; incredible retention. Ample lacing.

S- Bit of pine/herbal hoppiness....perhaps some oaken notes. Light maltiness. Hints of metallic aroma.

T- Pine & herbal hop, hints of malty sweetness, smoky/charcoal/wood, metallic twinge. A lot going on with the interjection of oak...interesting, but not completely working for me.

M- Moderate carbonation with a pretty full feel. Actually fairly creamy, and goes down smooth....oiliness builds and coats as consumed. Quite good here.

D- Ok. The oakiness would seems to dull my palate pretty rapidly, so I don't think I'd ever opt for more than one 12 oz'er at a time.

Future outlook: This was alright, but for my money, wasn't as good as "regular" AB. Probably won't revisit anytime soon.

3.51/5  rDev -16.4%

Bought at Parti-Pak Liqours in Indy. I got there last three 12oz bottles. The next Time I went in there, they had a big ass magnum of the stuff on sale for about $60.

My first Oaked Arrogant Bastard.... Ohhh joyous day.

Appearance- Reminds me of a Peruvian Walnut I saw at the local exotic wood store some 2 months back. Light tan head that hngs around for awhile, but digresses to a thick foam. Very light bubbling, but some sporadic lacing sticks fast to my pint glass.

Smell- For a second or two, it smelled like BO and bananas. The Bo subsides greatly after a few more sniffs. The hops mixes a bit oddly with the oak in this offereing. Give the beer an aroma tha isn't as flattering as expected. The bananas was really of putting but unique though.

Taste- Hops and oak come together in an odd marriage. Not as pleasing as I expected. The first flavor is that of stinky, Pacific hops the lend an almost musty bitterness. The oak kicks in a little later in the middle of the palate. The some bitter bisciut hit you right after the oak and its light vanilla nuance towards the end.

Very unique, ans still worth the tiume and effort to come by it. But it definetly wasn't the orgasmic brew I had expected. I'll save one bottle for aging, with no time limit set at the moment. I will get back to you on how that turns out.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours big and bold. It didn't seem like I was going to get a head on it, so halfway through, more aggressive I became. Head was there, and it was one of those cascading beauties that you usually see with Imperial Stouts. Brownish when I look at it on the table, orange hued when held up to the light. Topped by the aforementioned head, thick and creamy, the color off-white, with bright orange highlights. Some nice lacing as the head retreats.

Aroma is strong in this one, citrus and caramel mainly.

Caramel is my first impression, followed quickly by red grapefruit. As far as the "oaking" of this beer, I have to say that it's on the low spectrum. Some general woodiness, a bit of vanilla, I'm not quite sure how to interpret, but it's pretty good. I'd like to do a side by side with the original, as well as the double. For some reason, I was under the impression that this was barrel aged, and that this would have more of a bourbon flavor. I'm happy to say it's not. I'm not a fan generally of those flavors, therefore, I'm happier with this than I anticipated. Digressions aside, this is a very tasty beer. A bit of alcohol warmth as the temperature of the beer drops, but not anywhere near a "bite." The downside here, is the hops seem quite a bit less assertive. I wish they were more up front.

Mouthfeel is good, very full bodied and surprisingly, quite refreshing.

Overall, I could drink a few, but definitely not what I'd call a session beer. More like a special occasion beer. Still, a fine beer, but I prefer the original AB much better.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.