2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,433 | Reviews: 1,814 | Show All Ratings:
prsguitarsr4me

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Fantastic beer. I love the regular Arrogant Bastard, and this is even better. Dark maroon/brown with a decent head. Smells and tastes like Stone for sure - HOPS. Bitter and heavy and full of flavor - very complex beer - this is Stone at its best. I've had three 12oz bottles and I feel great. This is great beer.

10-19-2008 05:04:45 | More by prsguitarsr4me
ironbike1

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

This is truly one of the best Strong Ales. Beautiful dark amber color with a nice white head. Taste is quick to announce the oak , malts , hops & woods. Smooth drinker, with a nice mouth feel that is not overwhelming with any one flavor or to heavy. Easy drinker that is not to heavy yet very smooth. Just a great brew all around. Just need the stores to stock it more often here in NY.

10-20-2008 19:50:34 | More by ironbike1
johlendorf

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Worth the price if you can get it, especially in a single.

A = Thick two finger head, sticky lacing. Dark reddish brown.

S = Caramel, hops, slightly smoky wood.

T = This is by far my favorite Bastard! The oak aging really mellows the hops and lets rich malts make an appearance. Mature, complex taste (Grandpa Bastard?)

M = Medium body. The carbonation keeps things light.

D = I rarely have more than two or three beers in a sitting, but could easily put down a six rack.

Sublime balance.

03-02-2009 23:07:48 | More by johlendorf
rodney45

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

I picked up a 6 pack for 14 bucks, and honestly wanted to hate it... i was honestly blown away. Upon pour I recieved a hint of peach and grapefruit, and upon first taste i was blown away... its hoppy, but its flavor compensates for the overwhelming audacity of its marketing campaign. The notes in the beer cannot be described, and ive seen nothing short of perfection in this Ive had 4, and im pretty toppled... The stone brewery has become a favorite of mine over the years, I expect good things to come, and thank god i can get this beer on the east coast. You can taste the difference between the oak aged, and the regular brew. If you can find it, get at least two sixers... the only problem with this brew is that its hard to find. Upon tasting the first beer, i raised my hands up, and said yes.... yes....

03-07-2009 06:11:18 | More by rodney45
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured this one into a pint glass. The beer has a reddish-brown amber color to it, with a nice off-white (slightly yellowish) head. The head is nice and sudsy and leaves lacing down the sides of the glass.

The aroma is, like most Stone beers, hoppy. Lots of hop aroma for a beer that is technically not an IPA. Underneath the earthy hop aroma is a strong, sweet malt smell that lets you know there is substance to this beer. There is also a slightly woody/piney aroma mixed with vanilla that mingles with the two dominant characters.

The flavor is like heaven on earth. Or hell, if you're more into that. Wow, this stuff tastes amazing. Somewhat syrupy sweet malts mix with a strong dose of citrus-laden, bitter hops. Delicious and well balanced. Vanilla notes are there as well and help smooth things out. The most hidden flavor is the oak, but the wood taste is still there and well done. Enough oak to give this beer a more refined flavor, but not enough to turn it into a woody mess.

The mouthfeel is rich and creamy. The head sustains very well throughout the drinking of beer and aids in trapping many of the aromatics from escaping.

The drinkability is superb and somewhat scary. The 7.2% ABV is virtually unnoticeable and could easily creep up on you. I could drink this nectar of the gods all night. Excellent job Stone! The regular Arrogant Bastard is a great beer, but this has got to be one of the best beers I have ever had.

09-25-2009 02:31:56 | More by sisuspeed
Diesel76

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

I had this for the first time on tap at Stone Brewery for their Hoppy Fathers Day buffet... and ... WOW. I loved the oak flavor. It was very strong, and obviously the primary flavor of this beer. This coupled with the fantastic BBQ I was eating... well, they just went hand in hand.

All in all, I rated it high because how it accompanied my meal, it was faaan-tastic! I don't know if I would have loved it as much on its own... but my next BBQ, some Oaked Bastard is what I will be serving.

07-10-2011 20:24:21 | More by Diesel76
donmonkey1

Tennessee

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance: Dark, dark brown with a hint of red. The whitish tan head is perfect. The lacing is perfect. The carbonation is great.

Smell: It smells like a particular kind of hops that I love. The same hops are used in New Belgium's "dig" beer. It's very fruity, like mangoes and plums.

Taste: Awesome. Very complex and difficult to sort through. Perfect malt/hop balance. Woody, fruity,...

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick body, creamy, no carbonation sting (which I actually like).

I love this beer. It's in my top 5.

04-23-2012 23:34:28 | More by donmonkey1
mschind

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured in to a chalice from a 12 oz bottle. No date.

A- Great looking brew, nice two finger head, off white with a meringue consistency. Excellent retention.

S- This runs the gamut from caramel to biscuit to licorice with just a hint of the oak wood.

T- Fantastic flavor which is much drier than the aroma would lead you to believe. There is a nice malt sweetness that is instantly replaced by some bitterness that hits at the back of the palate. Hop bitterness as well as some oak tannins that create an astringent finish that lingers. The oak really comes through in the after taste. Oh, yeah, some alcohol too...

M- Full bodied, almost chewable. Pleasant carbonation adds to the smoothness.

O- If you are growing weary of the over exhuberant hoppiness of IPA's and DIPA's but still like something with a bitter kick, this does it. Wish I had bought a six pack. Next time I'd like to try this next to the un-oaked version just for fun. Excellent!

06-20-2012 21:35:18 | More by mschind
Ellbert

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance was just of that as the regular Arrogan Bastard Ale. A nice deep reddish color with a nice tan head that stuck to the glass.

Smell was wuite similar to the reg ABA but more mellow, not as much hops but some vanilla.

Taste: Very mellow. Good. Hops weren't as pronounced but they were there. The was a very mellow flavor to the brew. A very vanilla like flavor was there. It was really good after it warmed up.

Mouthfeel was creamy and it was very drinkable. Not harsh at all. Very good.

Not worth the $70 for a 3L bottle, but benmiliron and I split the cost and now that we did it once we don't have to do it again.

11-14-2004 06:13:05 | More by Ellbert
taez555

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Had this baby on tap at Anam Cara, served in a wineglass.

Poured a dark amber/brown body with a thick white head.

The nose was a beautiful mix of oak, big malt and some soft citrus piney hops.

Taste was along the same lines. Very rich, medium to full bodied, and extremely smooth from start to finish. A surprisingly big but mellowed caramel malt and citrus/piney hop bitterness and taste are actually very well balanced with an extremely noticeably woody oak touch in every sip. It ends with a lingering bitterness.

I’ve never been crazy about Arrogant bastard (always felt the double bastard and imperial stout from stone blew it away), but OMFG, this is one killer beer. The aging mellows it a lot and really brings out the malt notes and softens the bitterness. At the same time the woody/oak quality add a whole new dimension to the beer. Very nice. I wish they’d bring this out full time alongside the regular arrogant bastard in 22oz.

11-16-2004 08:40:57 | More by taez555
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard is a stupendous shade of sunset coral when viewed with bright sunshine behind the glass. Fat slices of tangerine orange can be seen at the edges and are a perfect color complement to the rest of the beer. The thickly creamy head (that is somewhere between pale caramel, pastel orange and golden beige) manages to slather the glass with butter-like streamers of lace. This is a gorgeous ale.

The nose is equally as good and reminds me of a caramel malty IPA, or even a DIPA, that contains boatloads of pungent, citric zesty, spruce-like hops... which is pretty much what Arrogant Bastard is. I don't remember this much fruitiness in the standard AB, but it has been a while since I treated myself to a bomber. Strangely enough, I can't really appreciate the oakiness in the nose.

My palate must have undergone a few changes (development, I hope) since my last Stone AB because the beer isn't the crazed bitter bomb that my memory tells me it was. Actually, it's more delicous than I remember. Whether that has anything to do with the oak chips is hard to say. I was almost ready to say that I can't appreciate oak on the palate either when... hot damn... there is it, making a big splash on the finish.

The beginning and middle portions of each mouthful are dominated by huge flavors of caramel, white grapefruit pith, bitter orange and pine sap. There's nothing better than Chinook unleashed. Rarely have I tasted a more aggressive ale that is so well-behaved in the mouth. Immediately after the swallow is where the caramelized sugar and oak make their move and turn a great beer into a phenomenal one.

I didn't think it was possible, but warming brings about an even greater intensity. Anyone who thinks this beer or its un-oaked brother is overrated is completely off his or her rocker. This is big beer that was brewed with bourbon-loving hopheads in mind. Since that describes me perfectly, it's no surprise that I'm in awe of what Stone has done.

How could the body/mouthfeel be anything less than fantastic? It's as firm as polished granite and is equally as smooth. It also possesses a luscious creaminess that promotes gulping rather than sipping. I find that I'm drinking waaay too fast, as much for how the beer feels as for how it tastes. Well, maybe not.

I'd have to drink Arrogant Bastard Ale and Oaked AB side by side to determine how much they actually differ. My guess is that the oak chips definitely add something of value. I did a little jig when I found out that Stone decided to release this beer in user-friendly 12 oz. bottles. I'm doing an even more enthusiastic jig now that I've had it. Smashing stuff.

03-25-2007 15:36:57 | More by BuckeyeNation
deaconsmith

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

A.-in a thick glass mug it had a very good head, a little ove a inch thick with nice retention and good lacing. it is a deep rich amber color..almost cherry sunburst in the light..very little settlement

S.-very aromatic,has a distinct oaky smell and the hops are well defined. well balanced with the malt

T.-like the smell the taste is very simular with a medium nutty and a hint of fruit aftertaste..very tastey overall

M.-@ 41* It has a playfull crisp mouthfeel. lots of bubblesand smooth going down the throat.

D.- it is one to take slower..prety good drinkability but very rich and slightly thick.

there is a definate signature taste. I think it is a very well crafted brew..i would recomend it

09-27-2008 21:14:46 | More by deaconsmith
Drew966

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale pours a dark reddish brown with an off white head that laces nicely as it fades. It came in a brown twelve ounce bottle with graphics painted on. The aroma is all about citrusy hoppy goodness. There might even be a hint of oak too, but it's way buried. Citrusy hops dominate the flavor and as it warms the oak becomes more noticeable. Excellent beer, highly recommended.

11-24-2008 01:03:30 | More by Drew966
phishgator

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Nice thick head, beautiful amber color with a slight chill haze. Lacing on the glass the entire session. The aroma is of floral hops and an earthy bonque of hops. The taste is fruity sweet, peaches and rose hips come to mind. The body is medium to full and the alcohol is well hidden. After a pint I want more, but I can say the alcohol buzz is now there. There tends to be a smoothier fell to this brew and I can only assume that it is from the oak chips.

02-09-2009 14:29:25 | More by phishgator
SidVicious619

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured an Deep amber coler from an 12oz bottle with an offwhite lacing. Intial nose is sweet woody hops and citrus aroma. Taste is amazing filled with burst of tangy hops, vanilla and spice. Mouthfeel is great with a long lasting oaky finish. Can't put this beer down!

02-13-2009 23:36:23 | More by SidVicious619
Rhynes2

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

This beer just blew my mind. The oak aroma sets you up for a complex array of flavors. Some people were saying that it has too strong of a grapefruit taste. The grapefruit is there but balances perfectly. Great head retention when poured into a glass and the color was one of the nicest hues of red I have ever seen. My friends were eve commenting on how hilarious the bottle was. This is my perfect beer and I could drink it everyday. I was worried that my $16.00 was not going to be worth it but im getting another one this weekend. Great call on this one. Fantastic!

04-21-2009 02:31:43 | More by Rhynes2
Kromes

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a hazy amber with a thick beige head that dies to a thin line of bubbles. Nice lacing down the glass. Smells great, like oily citrus hops. A great woody citrus flavor with some sweet malts. Delicious. It is much more tamed than the original Arrogant Bastard. Even the bitter finish is more mellow, it's still there but not as strong. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth....I can't really find any faults with this beer, it is definitely up there with the best.

05-03-2009 19:17:31 | More by Kromes
NightINgale

Russian Federation

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

12oz bottle poured into a small snifter... Let's see what this is all about!

A - Pours a hazy reddish-brown body with a ruby-red glow to it. Nice creamy light golden head. Very solid head retention. Not much in the way of carbonation.

S - Incredible! I could definitely smell that vanilla oakiness to it. Apart from that, very nice pungent hoppiness, some pronounced maltiness and some pepper and fruit notes (grapefruit, cherry, maybe raisins). As intriguing as it may get.

T - Some vanilla and caramel, immediately followed by a strong hop bite (very citrus-like, mostly grapefruit notes, reminiscent of many good American IPA's) and hints of dark fruit. Also some peppercorn-like spiciness. The finish is dry; it has got some bitterness, a bit of breadiness, and plenty of oak. Delicious!

M - Medium-bodied, with very moderate carbonation. Very intense mouthfeel. The beer is literally bursting with flavour. It coats the mouth very nicely, too.

D - I only had one bottle, which went down quite smoothly, but I got the impression you would want to enjoy this one in moderation.

This was my first Stone beer, and needless to say it knocked my socks off!

11-12-2009 01:26:55 | More by NightINgale
wangbruins

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

A- Beautiful deep dark brown with a full thick head that stayed until I drank and it had the best lacing I've ever seen

S- Earthy and smokey, lots of dark fruit, some peach, and either oranges or apricots mixed in

T- Sharp and direct...earthy but with lots of the fruit I mentioned above, but all blended perfectly

M- Soft and smooth with a little bite at the end

D- In my honest opinion, this is one of the top 5 beers ever. I don't know much but it gets my vote

01-17-2010 01:49:36 | More by wangbruins
mempath

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

bright, deep apricot amber with a tannish head that retains nicely.

even with a slight cold, i catch massive wafts of grapefruit, camphor sweetness.

massive wall of hop bittersweetness...catching wood/oak in the finish. comes in wet and resonates dry. somewhat (nicely) reminded of troeg's nugget nectar. carbonation-creaminess ratio is nearly perfect.

for those who like extremes and strong ales that are hopped up but nonetheless approachable, this is quite drinkable and a near-suicidally beneficial session. just take gulps every 20 minutes and don't go over 3 hours...if you're afraid of hops and prefer watery beers, no, it will be undrinkable to you.

02-11-2010 16:24:38 | More by mempath
gratedjuice

Maryland

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

A-Dark amber color with an off white head of foam, lacing throughout the drink

S-hops and floral smell is prominent

T-strong citrus and hop taste and you can taste the difference that the oak aging makes over the normal bastard.

M-Lightly carbonated with bit of an alcohol bite at the end of the drink

D-nice smooth drink with a decent ABV. This beer benefits from the aging process. Obviously not a party beer but goes well with dinner or a night in with friends

12-15-2010 03:39:58 | More by gratedjuice
Dodt

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

picked a six pack of this during my superbowl beer run finally decide to crack one open and review one.
poured from the bottle into a pint glass
appearance a dark orange color with a head that stays around
smell nice aroma that is well balanced
taste ,mouthfeel and drinkablity just wonderful

03-03-2011 04:38:23 | More by Dodt
nomad

Kansas

Had this at the 12, 12, @ 12 Stone event at the Blind Tiger
(even remembered to take notes yay for me)

Poured a strange brown, black, red color, a different color from the bottle/draught version. Had a steady carbonation to it so the head, a slight creamy color, held tight. The lace dissipated pretty quick, though.

Nose smelled of grapes, currant, oak, barley, and was rounded out by a vinuous quality. It tasted of oak, hops, cedar, and very ripe wild grapes. All the flavors rounded out as the beer opened, when the malt and oak began to come over the hops. Take everything big and snapping about AB, calm it down and make it deeper and more complex - wow.

Mouthfeel was still sharp on the tongue despite the oak-aging but still thin and pretty easy to drink. The finish was biting (at first), mostly feeling salty, winey, but altogether smooth.

In sum, very drinkable, as the oak-aging softened, rounded, and deepened this beer’s character. The oak-aging really helped this beer alot, more than it might help other ones, I feel. Really made a great turn on the bottle version, taking it to an exceptional level.

04-04-2003 11:40:21 | More by nomad
Boilermaker88

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Having heard that this fabled brew was being offered on-tap in Riverside, I knew I had to try it. So I met up with fellow BA Hopjack13 at Jag's New American Grille for a pint of what turned out to be a great beer.
Served in an Arrogant Bastard pint glass (along with a t-shirt, the total cost of beer, glass and shirt was $15), this Stone brew had a burnished copper sheen, clear to the eye, and a compact vanilla colored head that slowly shrank and left some modest lace behind.
The smell of Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard was phenomenal; the rampant hoppiness of regular AB is refined and mellowed, the sweet malty aroma is more pronounced, and there's a hint of vanilla or some fruit I couldn't quite place that added an extra, wonderful dimension to the nose. Tasting this beer had my taste buds happy from the get-go. A sweet, almost fruity, malt flavor permeated the front and the oak aging is truly notable in how it has calmed and allowed the somewhat clashing tastes of Arrogant Bastard to blend and meld together more harmoniously. The hops aren't subservient, far from it, but the bittering in the finish is smoother and more enjoyable with the aging. The feel was luscious; medium- to full-bodied, smooth, and creamy, thanks to the abundant carbonation.
Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard Ale is a wondrous brew that I could have been happy drinking all night. Alas, this was not to be but I hope to once more indulge in this great offering from Stone again soon. This is liquid gold worth going great lengths to try if given the opportunity.

02-07-2004 22:47:24 | More by Boilermaker88
FormatKid

Tennessee

4.8/5  rDev +14%

I finally got a night set aside to drink this 3L, just me and a friend taking on this monster. Once I fumbled the lock off and popped the flip top I stuck my nose right in the bottle and took a big whiff...oh yeah, that's oak...sniffing from the bottle musty oak aromas were what I detected most of all. Once poured into a glass the body of the beer is a deep ruby brown, somewhat hazy, yet slightly translucent. The head is off-white with a yellow oiliness to it. This head is a champ when it comes to retention and lace and lasts through-out practically each entire glass adding to the overall experience. The aroma in the glass is lovely, hops are a bit downplayed when compared to the bastard in his original state, husky oak undertones and of course the dense caramelly goodness of the malt. The flavor totally corresponds, dense velvetty malts, subtle hints of husky oak, tiny pokes of vanilla flavor and dense piney hops. The oak aging process does wonderful things to the bastard...if only it weren't so damned expensive in this particular packaging, I'd still recommend getting one for the experience though.

12-07-2004 00:02:53 | More by FormatKid
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.