Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
rjgbeeradvo

03-11-2012 19:48:28 | More by rjgbeeradvo
Phil_H

Wisconsin

1.25/5  rDev -70.2%

01-01-2014 01:35:01 | More by Phil_H
FoundersFanatic

1.4/5  rDev -66.7%

Not even going to waste my time listing everything. This is by far the WORST beer I have ever had that is rated as a great beer. I have NO idea how anyone could think this has taste or is a great beer. I have a very good grasp on what good beer is and can even appreciate great beer styles I don't prefer, but this is just a horrible beer. I was recommended this beer by a beer steward and told that it is a very good beer, very much worth the $18/6. It is in fact one of the worst tasting beers I've ever had including Bud light!!! It is bitter, tastes like burnt wood or charcoal, is thin, no complexities to speak of, just an overall horrible beer IMHO. This is the LAST time a try a Stone beer. I have had 4 Stone beers and ALL of them have either been a huge let down or out right horrible beers. I can't believe how bad this beer tasted. I've only had a few beers that taste this bad in my life and they are usually the ones that go for $9 for a 24 pack of cans!

12-11-2011 00:50:29 | More by FoundersFanatic

1.75/5  rDev -58.3%

06-05-2014 21:22:04 | More by mwar
B967ierhunter177

1.8/5  rDev -57.1%

This beer pours a cloudy, dark copper color with no head. The aroma is toast, molasses, raisins, and alcohol. It's flavor has notes of toast, vanilla, licorice, and brandy. The brandy taste takes over and at the same time there is a strong bitterness that gets stronger the more you drink it. It also has a nasty, bitter aftertaste. Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale is way too strong to be good and is not recommended!

10-07-2010 02:08:47 | More by B967ierhunter177
r00tarded

1.85/5  rDev -56%

I can't find the attraction to this beer. I know there are lots of people that love it, but if I wanted to suck on a grapefruit, I'd suck on a grapefruit.

I had the non-oaked version and found it barely palatable. I tried the oaked version and, while its more drinkable, it's hardly a beer that I'd say "yes please, I'd love another one!".

One of my least favorites from Stone Brewing and my least favorite strong ale.

11-09-2007 20:41:37 | More by r00tarded
waltonc

Colorado

1.88/5  rDev -55.2%

I haven't had Arrogant Bastard in years, but figured I'd try this oaked version on tap at Monk's Kettle in case my tastes have changed. Let's see...nope. Still tastes like the absurdly over-hopped Arrogant Bastard I remember. No balance at all. Just pure hops. Maybe I'll try it again a few years from now.

09-19-2008 14:19:00 | More by waltonc

mfleming98

12-24-2011 04:45:03 | More by mfleming98
beck2008

2.05/5  rDev -51.2%

This ale was quite a disappointment. My friend said this was his favorite beer so I had to try it. I had the double bastard ale and was blown away by the alcohol, I had this one and was just blown away by the nasty overall taste. The finish was a serious woody chemical taste akin to Varathane on hard rock maple.

the details

A- Pours dark amber with 1/2 finger head. semi cloudy

S- Very very malty, smooth yet very strong chemical smell

T- Strong hop on the front end

M- medium carbonation

D- Too strong on the back end, way too much oaky taste. Not sure this flavor belongs in beer.

I have a lot of respect for what Arrogant Bastard is trying to accomplish with their aggressive brand of beers but this is a bit over the top. But then again, maybe that's the whole point.

02-12-2011 18:23:46 | More by beck2008
TheOtherMike

2.13/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm on good terms with the Double Bastard, so I didn't expect this to be so different. I do not like molasses. I do not like the smell of molasses. This reminds me terribly of molasses. Fortunately, the alcohol content overpowers one's taste buds and the molasses taste fades. I got through it ok and recommended it to a friend that likes this type and he gave it a thumbs up.

12-31-2010 05:11:02 | More by TheOtherMike

jsisko01

12-17-2013 03:42:09 | More by jsisko01
Arbitrator

2.38/5  rDev -43.3%

Chilled 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a clear amber color with mahogany and ruby tones when held to the light. Has a limpid off-white head that quickly recedes to a light film and the collar of death around the drink. A few drabs of lacing but nothing spectacular.

S: Piney, resiny hops, toasted malt, caramel, and toffee, with oak and some vanilla overtones.

T: Toasted and caramel malt, with a lesser pine hop character on the initial taste. It becomes bitter very quickly as the hops take over, and the oak contributes an additional bittering character that I'm not too fond of. By the finish it lessens slightly due to a combination of vanilla and toffee, but the aftertaste is again very dry and bitter. Just not my bag.

M: Medium bodied. Carbonation is slightly high and pricks the tongue a bit.

D: Not a huge fan of this one (and, to be honest, the original form). I recognize the appeal in this one but it's not for me, and I won't get it in the future.

05-10-2009 01:35:16 | More by Arbitrator
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.