Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

1.08/5  rDev -74.3%

1.25/5  rDev -70.2%

1.4/5  rDev -66.7%

Not even going to waste my time listing everything. This is by far the WORST beer I have ever had that is rated as a great beer. I have NO idea how anyone could think this has taste or is a great beer. I have a very good grasp on what good beer is and can even appreciate great beer styles I don't prefer, but this is just a horrible beer. I was recommended this beer by a beer steward and told that it is a very good beer, very much worth the $18/6. It is in fact one of the worst tasting beers I've ever had including Bud light!!! It is bitter, tastes like burnt wood or charcoal, is thin, no complexities to speak of, just an overall horrible beer IMHO. This is the LAST time a try a Stone beer. I have had 4 Stone beers and ALL of them have either been a huge let down or out right horrible beers. I can't believe how bad this beer tasted. I've only had a few beers that taste this bad in my life and they are usually the ones that go for $9 for a 24 pack of cans!

1.75/5  rDev -58.3%

1.8/5  rDev -57.1%

This beer pours a cloudy, dark copper color with no head. The aroma is toast, molasses, raisins, and alcohol. It's flavor has notes of toast, vanilla, licorice, and brandy. The brandy taste takes over and at the same time there is a strong bitterness that gets stronger the more you drink it. It also has a nasty, bitter aftertaste. Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale is way too strong to be good and is not recommended!

1.85/5  rDev -56%

I can't find the attraction to this beer. I know there are lots of people that love it, but if I wanted to suck on a grapefruit, I'd suck on a grapefruit.

I had the non-oaked version and found it barely palatable. I tried the oaked version and, while its more drinkable, it's hardly a beer that I'd say "yes please, I'd love another one!".

One of my least favorites from Stone Brewing and my least favorite strong ale.

1.88/5  rDev -55.2%

I haven't had Arrogant Bastard in years, but figured I'd try this oaked version on tap at Monk's Kettle in case my tastes have changed. Let's see...nope. Still tastes like the absurdly over-hopped Arrogant Bastard I remember. No balance at all. Just pure hops. Maybe I'll try it again a few years from now.

2.05/5  rDev -51.2%

This ale was quite a disappointment. My friend said this was his favorite beer so I had to try it. I had the double bastard ale and was blown away by the alcohol, I had this one and was just blown away by the nasty overall taste. The finish was a serious woody chemical taste akin to Varathane on hard rock maple.

the details

A- Pours dark amber with 1/2 finger head. semi cloudy

S- Very very malty, smooth yet very strong chemical smell

T- Strong hop on the front end

M- medium carbonation

D- Too strong on the back end, way too much oaky taste. Not sure this flavor belongs in beer.

I have a lot of respect for what Arrogant Bastard is trying to accomplish with their aggressive brand of beers but this is a bit over the top. But then again, maybe that's the whole point.

2.13/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm on good terms with the Double Bastard, so I didn't expect this to be so different. I do not like molasses. I do not like the smell of molasses. This reminds me terribly of molasses. Fortunately, the alcohol content overpowers one's taste buds and the molasses taste fades. I got through it ok and recommended it to a friend that likes this type and he gave it a thumbs up.

2.25/5  rDev -46.4%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.