Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -4%

Year old 12oz bottle. Pours an amber/brown with a small head. I don't care much for the look. Nose is fresh flowers, oak, brown sugar, and alcohol. Taste is dominated by oak, which leaves a lasting bitter finish. Mouthfeel is very nice, medium with perfect carbonation.

squaremile, Jul 05, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4%

on tap at varga in philly

Pours a clouded burnt amber color with a thick froth of slightly tanned head. Retains nicely with plenty of lacing and a layer of film.

Strong scents of pine hoppiness tempered by caramel and bready malt. Some vanilla and oak with slight citrus. Faint alcohol warmth.

Bitter up front with biting pine hops. Some notes of grapefruit and citrus followed by a beefy malt backbone. Bready caramel with smooth oak and vanilla tones. Slightly sweet, but balanced with the hoppy finish.

Medium body, decent carbonation, smooth and creamy on the tongue. Drinks nicely, the oak aging gives this a much better mouthfeel and adds some pleasant vanilla flavor.

xnicknj, Oct 04, 2011

Drank on: 2/21/10
7.2% ABV
12 oz. in Pint glass

A= Nice fine-bubbled head 1/8" thick leaving a complete halo. Opaque amber color darker in the middle of the glass.

S= Oak hints, with a fruity aroma (maybe pear?) and good sweetness. Whifs of spice.

T= Wonderful tour through malt after malt flavor. Good bit of earthy oak flavor with carmel and chocolate malt notes. Hints of dark berries, tabbacco and coffee. has a nice herbal and earthy hop zing.

MF= Nice dry feeling from middle through the aftertaste. Good bitterness but doesn't linger too long. Heavy weight on the tongue.

D= Dark heady brew, with great oakiness. One of these is all you will need.

Overall, a nice beer but personally i still prefer a regular Bastard.

evansrdbrew, Feb 24, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4%

12oz bottle, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: dark cherry red, 1 finger off-white head, good lacing.

S: oak notes are prominent and mask the hop and malt characters. beneath are some citrusy hops and a touch of caramel sweetness.

T: initial bitterness, followed by the oak character and caramel sweetness. the bitterness and oak remain on the palate for some time.

MF: medium-high bodied, medium carbonation, but almost creamy-like.

Drinkability: good beer. i prefer the regular (light) version over the oak, but the oak/aging does add some interesting flavors and mouthfeel.

porterwoobie, Sep 26, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -4%

On tap at the Meddlesome Moth in Dallas.

Looks brown/garnet and leaves lacing all over.

Mostly citrusy/grapefruit hops with a faint oakiness.

Big grapefruit flavor. Malt and oaky goodness lay behind the initial bitter hop punch. Leaves a hop and oak aftertaste.

Dry, faint carbonation, and a medium body.

My first foray into the Arrogant Bastard lineup and I am won over. All the hops and oak flavor got a little tiresome towards the end but still a great brew.

MattSweatshirt, Jan 13, 2012

12oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a clear dark amber color with two fingers of dense white foam. Retention and lacing are both superb.

S: Malts balanced between bready and sweet caramel are the most dominate flavors. Close behind this I get significant citrus and pine hop aroma. Spicy and vanilla oak round out the aromas.

T: Interesting, lots of flavor packed in this for the ABV. The beer starts of with lots of bready malts with a bit of toffee sweetness. On the dry side for the style, but what characterizes this style anyways? I get lots of hop bitterness and piney hop flavor. Spicy wood flavor is there, but not overbearing. It mixes well with the bready malts and piney hops.

M: Medium to low thickness with average carbonation. This is an easy drinking beer and the mouthfeel works well for it, but it's not in your face like a lot of American Strong Ale mouthfeels.

O: This has the hops of an IPA and and a great malt profile with a strong bready and toffee flavor. Very strong flavors without intense bitterness, sweetness, or ABV. The sum of the parts is what creates the intensity. Oakiness adds an additional complexity. I really enjoyed this.

coreyfmcdonald, Oct 19, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -4%

Let me start off by admitting that I am not a big fan of Arrogant Bastard. It was actually the beer that got me into Stone, but in retrospect, it's probably one of my least favorites of their offerings. I appreciate the whole "You're Not Worthy" bitterness concept, but I'll go ahead and compromise my own masculinity by saying that I guess I'm not worthy because it's just a bit too bitter for me to really enjoy it...at least until I'm about halftway through the bottle and the alcohol starts to cushion the blow.

Nonetheless, as soon as I heard that the Oaked Bastard was available in bottles (which occurred less than a week ago in my neighborhood), I had to have some. I now have two six-packs of the stuff, and I'm hoping I made a wise investment.

I poured the contents of my first bottle into my trusty Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip glass. The liquid was a deep, rich mahogany, too dark to be transparent yet perfectly clear, with a substantially tall and dense tan head that settled to about a finger's width. I swirled the glass a couple of times and the head retention was perfect.

This being the second oaked beer I've reviewed (the first being Old Yeti Oaked Imperial Stout), I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but sure enough, the odor was very similar. The smell conjured the image of being in a field of oak trees after a heavy rainstorm. More simply: wet wood. A hint of malt and even a glimpse of sweetness was also present. The overall experience was fairly appealing, but I wasn't sure how well it would translate to my taste buds.

After my first sip, I was not disappointed. Where the effects of alcohol were once required to "cushion the blow" of the bitterness of this brew, the oak aging and flavor now did the job. I could taste the gentle oak flavor up front. This was quickly chased by the trademark bitterness of the Bastard. However, whereas the normal Bastard has a tendency to burrow its way into my tongue and make me feel like someone just jammed a handful of pine needles into my tongue and then poured grapefruit juice into the wound, the oakiness seemed to leave a protective coating that provided enough of a blockade to stave off the hoppy attack while being subtle enough for my taste buds to enjoy the flavor. It's not the bitterness of the Bastard that puts me off, it's the fact that it won't go away. I could take three sips of Arrogant Bastard and the taste would linger for ten minutes. I'd rather have a chance to recover and then pummel my taste buds again at my own pace, and this Oaked variety enables me to do that.

I still can't say this is one of my favorite Stone beers: I prefer the refreshing quality of their IPA or the complexity of their Old Guardian, Ruination, or Imperial Russian Stout. I will qualify this by saying that I don't really have a basis of comparison as far as what an American Strong Ale should taste like, so I can't judge to style. I can appreciate it for what it is, though, and I will have an easy time spreading out my consumption of these over the next several months or even years and seeing how the experience evolves.

instrumentality, Nov 07, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -4%

Glad to finally get a shot at this beer after my local beer store got it in, surprisingly.

Appearance: Oaked AB pours a clear burgandy color with a couple fingers of cream colored head. Retention and lacing are both great.

Smell: Toasted malts and caramel form the base of this beer. I definitely get some hops as well, but those are really smoothed out by the oak character. I can definitely tell this beer has been mellowed a bit by the oaking.

Taste: Toasted malts and caramel, as well as some cherry-like fruits. A good amount of hops on the back end, as well as a pleasant amount of oakiness. Like I said before, the oak really smooths this beer out a lot, especially compared to its bretheren.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is slightly under medium bodied with nice fine carbonation. Not quite creamy, but still pretty good. This beer is more drinkable than the rest of the related strong ales, but not much more so. In the end though, the oak really does nice things to this beer.

zhanson88, Mar 11, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -4%

A= pours a nice brownish amber color with a beautiful off white head that is on it's way to a mocha color but doesn't make it but maybe halfway between mocha and white. The head is really nice and thick with great retention and lacing.

S= Pungent for sure. As the cap hissed when I cracked the beer I could almost immediatly smell the hoppy deliciousness. Nice piney hops to it like the regular AB bu this one is just a little different. A nice malty character to it just like the AB as well. Great caramel malts and sweetness to it. The oak is more subdued and you have to search for it but it is there. What is more noticable is a certain cinnimon smell that I would suspect is just a combination of sweet malts and oaky vanilla.

T= The hops hit you up front on the tip of your tongue. They flow over your tongue and give way to a nice sweet malty mid section. The great caramel and toffee flavors come through as well as some oakiness but again the oak has to be searched for a little more. The cinnimon that I smelled isn't around instead the finish leads to a slight vanilla from the oak and some woodyness. Just when you think the finish was the smoothest thing ever the hops come and bite the back of your tongue leaving a lasting finish.

M= Smooth and coating. Not too light or to heavy.

D= Pretty good. Decent beer and just a layer more complexity than the regualr AB.

jjanega08, Mar 13, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4%

georgeous looking beer. dark reddish brown with a big big off white/tan head that leaves an enormous ammount of lace. light smell of piney, grapefruity hops, some nice malt and it's all mixed in and blends pretty well with the smoky/oaky. tastes the same. pretty well blended. fairly silky smooth mouthfeel and pleasure drinking. glad i finally got to try this one. don't see it as a regular in my rotation, but delightful none the less.

timtim, Sep 22, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -4%

Last of a six pack of twelve ouncers.

Red amber color, excellent clarity, topped by a fist worth of bone-china colored froth.

Oak nose, with a bit of fresh bread. Nice, but not big.

Juicy semi-sweet malt spills across the tongue. Surprisingly quick hop bite before the oak rises to the top and rides the beer into the swallow and on to the aftertaste.

Good solid medium-plus mouthfeel. Good drinkability, particularly if you like "oak".

The impression I get is that the oak wood chips nullified the hops, removing the wonderous abrasiveness of "plain ol' Arrogant Bastard". Still a good beer, but I vastly prefer the original.

RonfromJersey, Feb 27, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -4%

I assume this is from the 06 release, but I can't find a date for the life of me.

I'm not really sure how to review this beer. I can't taste any real oak/vanilla flavor in it. At first there wasn't even any arrogant bastard here. As it's warmed (I served it fairly warm to start with) I picked up on the bitter after taste of the normal bastard.

What you do get here is a much better balanced beer than the normal bastard. You get a nice cherry flavor to start and a strong hoppy bitterness at the end. A very smooth beer and you could chug if you wanted to (not at these prices though!) or really enjoy sipping on.

It has a great head, the color looks great. It's got a very nice complex smell.

Maybe I went into this beer expecting too much as I love oaked beers and I really enjoyed the standard AB (though imo it's slightly overrated). This beer is well worth trying even at the high prices but I'm not sure if I'd buy it again.

I expected a lot more flavor and a bit more complexity. My score is high enough to tsay this is a really good beer but I expected more, especially when this costs nearly 3 dollar per 12 oz bottle.

bobhits, May 29, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -4%

So it's my 34th birthday today. Not exactly old, not exactly young. Where do I fit in? What is my place in the universe? What is the meaning of life? What should...ok enough bullshit. Leave contemplating the universe to Aristotle. I'm gonna contemplate what beers I should have today. After much thought, I decide to go with beers I haven't tried yet: Oaked Arrogant Bastard with my breakfast, Stone Imperial Russian Stout with lunch, and AleSmith Speedway Stout with dinner. Sounds like a good day to me!

Poured this puppy into a snifter so I can better sniff'er.

Looks like the color of the bottle but shows nice ruby hues in the light. Beautiful frothy head in the glass.

Smells like arrogant bastard.

Just had the arrogant bastard last night. I think this tastes slightly different, but I can't put my finger on it. I would like to claim I taste the oak, but I don't. There is a bitter alcohol warmth at the end. Nice.

Guess I'm far far too uncultured to notice a huge difference. Still a great beer and an excellent birthday morning celebratory drink.

PatronWizard, Aug 20, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Poured a dark ruby amber, clear. Three finger khaki-colored head with very good retention. Some visible carbonation. Very nice lacing.

Smell: Mild nose of amber ale maltiness. Hint of pine and grapefruit.

Taste: Moderate hops and moderate malts. Hops are are grapefruit/citrus with a dry bite at the end; somewhat "juicy". Smoky malts to balance out the flavor

Mouthfeel: Smooth, mildly carbonation, and a moderate hop bite. Very dry finish, with the hops lingering for a while.

Drinkability: Very nice drinking beer. Very smooth, but with excellent flavor and complexity. The flavor lasts a long time.

Buy Again? Yes.

jonziefle, Apr 17, 2010
4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

A bastardization of what you get when you mix some orange, amber, brown and red color ale. Looks impressive. Smell is even more impressive, not as viscious as the non oaked version.

In fact, the oak seems to mellow out the whole ale, as opposed to offering a more complex beer necessarily. The usual chinook and cascade hop dominance with a very strong malt backbone, but the oak seems almost like they dry hopped it with oak chips as well. Mouthfeel thins through the bottle, but this remains a surprisingly drinkable beer, not nearly as demanding of a drink as the other versions of bastard ale.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 27, 2009

moutai703, Sunday at 02:52 PM

Cmteagardin, Aug 18, 2014
4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz bottle with enjoy by date of 03/14/13. So about a month before its best drinking age.

Color is dark copper or almost deep ruby-brown. Huge hints of red color. Maroon or chestnut color would be a better description. About one finger thick light tan colored head that stays for only some time. Decent lacing on the sides. Some minor bubbles.

Aroma is a mix of toasty malts, resinous hops and very very slight wood. Some very vague vanilla comes through in the nose as well. Overall strength is mild. Oak aging via chips has resulted in a subdued aroma as far as oak, wooden and vanilla fragrances are concerned. Hop aroma is not strong either. Drinks like an old ale. Alcohol does not come through.

Flavor is again very subdued. Very malt forward and strictly less hops than in its non-oaked counterpart. Slight bitterness in the finish. Caramel and toasted malts along with resinous and piney hops.

Mouth feel is medium bodied. Moderate to low carbonation. Drinks very easy and smooth. Hides the alcohol, though there is not much to hide at just above 7%.

Non-Oaked version is slightly better.

AmitC, Feb 10, 2013
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

A: A fat cap of cream head tops an amber on the verge of brown body.

S: Big citrus and pine, mostly pine, burst through. A woodsy scent is coming though, with dark tannins breaking out.

T: The bitterness is bitter mix of bitter tannin and hops. I can't pick any of the fruit out of the hops however. Lots of toasty, caramel and chocolate malt lingers below with some solvent alcohol.

M: Feels pretty great on the tongue, but nothing special.

D: One of these is enough for me. Delicious but it wears down the palate.

Lazerlobe, Oct 22, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Tasted in Wells, ME on August 2nd, 2009.

The beer is dark amber color and looks, from what I remember, quite similar to the original version. Head is a little bit thin but sticks to the glass like crazy. The aroma is mainly malts with a touch of caramel. To me it is similar to the original version. My nose is not getting anything more. The taste is a bit different. The awesome bitterness is still here with a touch of woods behind. Slightly maple. The drinkability is good but I think the original has more. The beer is medium body. What still amaze me of this beer, Oaked or Un-Oaked Arrogant Bastard I mean, is the feeling in the mouth... very good.

A very good beer in my opinion. However, if I had to pick one of the two, I would pick the original... just my two cents.

ZorPrime, Aug 25, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

appearance: Handsome caramel. Slight off white head with thick lacing that recedes quickly.
smell: Buttery oak and that cutting Stone hops.
taste: As the nose advertised. This was has a year behind it. Better than the fresh version for my taste. Still not the balance I was hoping for.
mouthfeel: Full, creamy and carbonated.
I'm a relative newbie and fully respect it's probably my unrefined palate that doesn't recognize a superior beer here. All the top reviewers love this. I'll revisit in a few years.

cindyjeffsmith, Feb 20, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

At the Stone store on Pasadena.

Everything you expect from Arrogant Bastard with a soft oaky touch. Seems to moderate the hop character all around. Citrus aroma is knocked back letting the malt show a bit more, and some of the bitterness and hop flavor are replaced by a sweeter, malty woody character.

Interesting twist. Probably makes it more drinkable as the palate doesn't get wrecked so quickly. But then is it really still AB?

joecast, Nov 12, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

3 liter bottles shared with myself. Dark brownish red with a huge fluffy tan head that seemed to stay around forever while covering the glass was thick lace rings. Sweet caramel and fruits with that arrogant bastard hoppiness backing it up. Very light woody notes as it warmed but they were minimal. Sweet caramel covered dark fruits over some bitter citric hops. Nice balance overall. Some woody notes were more apparent here than in the nose and seemed like it came out more than when I tried it fresh. Dry citric bitter fruity finish that sticks with you for awhile. It seemed a bit to mellowed at this point though. Pretty solid mouthfeel with good thickness and creaminess. I find the regular version to be more drinkable but this was still fairly easy to get through a bottle that big. Glad I drank it now because I can’t see this getting better with more age.

meathookjones, Sep 30, 2005

12 oz. bottle:

Pours hazed brownish amber with a thin off-white head that stays around.

The smell is of brown sugar and caramel with citrus, pine and floral notes. Oaky/woody background lets you know that this was oak-aged.

The taste is a heaping of malt - brown sugar, caramel/toffee with plenty of citrus and pine backing it up. Oak and vinuous notes, with some acidity, dominate the long, very dry, finish.

Full-bodied and rich in texture.

I like this one...but, personally I would probably choose the non-oaked Arrogant Bastard over it. I had this at a tasting awhile back and wanted to have it on a fresh palate - I still feel that while the oak is interesting (and I've had barrel-conditioned brews that really enhanced the flavors) it almost interferes with its great natural taste (call me a "party-pooper" I suppose). Still in all, it's a great beer...the Double Bastard still takes it all of the three, though.

jwc215, Sep 06, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've never really cared that much for the original Arrogant Bastard. It's okay, and in a style that seems to be up my alley (I love hops, bitterness, etc.), but I always thought the brewers lived up to their hype and the beer was a dare to try something just overdone.

I got this six-pack (and another) from a friend of my wife for "fixing" her computer. A good deal for 20 minutes of work in my book, and despite some ambivalence regarding the original AB, I was intrigued by the oaking.

On occasion, I do drink wine, and I normally steer clear of Chardonnay, as I'm not crazy about drinking something that tastes like wood. Oaked AB demonstrates, though, that oaking may go better with beer than wine.

Poured into a nonic, the beer was very clear, and a flat medium-dark brown. Very little head (maybe due to the new glass, just washed) but what little there was lingered almost to the end.

Nose, just hops and maybe a light toasty malt aroma...I think I detected it only because I was looking for it. No evidence of oak in the scent.

The taste was where my appreciation for this beer took off. It seems like the oaking (assuming the formula is more or less the same as the original AB) mellows out a bit of the overly-assertive bitterness. It's still there, but, I guess I'd call it "flatter" than the normal AB. Hops are on the piney side, which I think matches well with the oak, which doesn't really stand out, but rather matches harmoniously with the other elements. Malt presence is subdued, as in the aroma. It's there, but you gotta look for it.

Mouthfeel, a bit thinner than I anticipated, but I think this supported the drinkability overall. More refreshing than I thought it would be.

I'm not sure I'd search this one out, given all the other great beers out there that I already love or have yet to try, but I wouldn't hesitate to drink it again.

Update, 11/21/07

I've since finished the remaining 5 beers in the six pack. I don't need to change the scoring overall, but I wanted to note that I think my description was off a bit. I don't know what I was smoking, but I missed out on the malt flavor in this beer. It's not nearly as subdued as I originally wrote. I think the beer is still in balance, due to the Stone proclivity for hops/bitterness, but the balance definitely tips more to the malt side than I'd originally indicated.

Although I wouldn't change my score, my respect for this beer actually grew as I finished the six-pack off. I think I'd be more likely to pick this one up, too.

SloMoSlovak, Nov 21, 2007
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.