Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle and decided to use a chalice. Pours a clear dark ruby with a creamy off-white head with great retention and lacing. Upon first smell I thought it was reminiscent of the regular Arrogant Bastard. Very citrusy, almost pineapple hops. As it warmed you do get more of an earthy smell, presumably the oak or wood with some nut and dry malt. Taste was more like a subtle version of the regular. You have the caramel, sweet backbone with the citrusy hops but overall a slightly dulled twist. Somewhat nutty I almost think. Mouthfeel was fuller and velvety, very pleasant. Overall a great beer from Stone though I think I prefer the regular version better.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

A: Pours a deep reddish-brown, practically opaque. Great fizz head, holds for a nice long while & still clings to the edges of the glass.
S: Bold hoppy flavor, reminiscent of an American IPA, and a little oakey flavor
T: Still dominated by minty, piney, oaky hops & oaky oak
M: Medium-bodied, creamy, slight carbonation
D: A hefty mother of a beer, fills you up nicely, very satisfying but the dryness of the oak & hops left me thirsty

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured on-tap at the Stone Brewery into a pint glass. The beer is a cloudy brown/amber color with no head. Smells are earthy, with hints of nut and wood aromas. Very well blended nose. Initial taste is a hop forward flavor, which is very well balanced with a malty-sweet and wood taste. The beer is round and full bodied in mouth, with a smooth, bitter finish. The beer also maintains the bitterness with a hoppy aftertaste. It was surprisingly easy to drink despite the bold flavors.

4.03/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Filled a 64 ounce growler at Capital Ale House in Fredericksburg, VA.

A: Pours a beautiful dark reddish brown. Held up to the light reveals more of a red. After pouring there was a large, fluffy, 3 finger head of creamy white. After settling a good head still remained with a constant carbonation that kept it bubbling. An impressive, thick lacing was left on the glass as it was emptied

S: Somewhat underwhelming smell, not overpowering and hard for me to pick up. I sensed a piney and citrusy aroma from the hops and a caramel malt note. The oak from the aging process was noticeable in the nose.

T: Wonderful citrus and sharp hop flavor is very up front. Some malt kicks in the back end. Hint of oak and bitterness. The malt and hop tend to balance out as you let it sit in your mouth. Great flavors, with a sneaky sweetness that lingers after you swallow.

M: Stays with you. A good aftertaste and hop resin. Very thick but smooth.

O: Very good beer. I like it better than the normal Arrogant Bastard offering.

12 Oz Bottle poured into English Pint glass

A: Dark brown with a lot of red. Head is tan in color with about a 1 1/2 of head, very foamy.... Looks yummy... Lacing from start to finish.... Beautiful thing !!

S: Lots of hops, with a woody smokey smell mixed in some sweet caramel notes... and some toffee.

T: First thing to hit me is the hops.... with a little bitterness, then the Oaked flavor really comes on.. even has a little smokey flavor mixed into that. But the big thing is the hops they are very strong, and just as bitter as Arrogant Bastard. The bitter hops is balanced with a hint of sweet caramel... very light... Aftertaste is on the bitter side... I'll have to try another Arrogant Bastard and see if it is this bitter..

M: Feels pretty med body.... not to carbonated. Very smooth. It left my mouth a little on the dry side.

D: Very drinkable if you love some hops... Not a session beer, the ABV is up there and the overall feel is very filling.

I want to love this one but the woodiness is getting in my way.... I'll review the Reg Arrogant Bastard and then revisit this one....

4.03/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from Notes

12oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip

A: amberish-brown and opaque, 1/2 inch head recedes to a thin layer, some spotty lacing, some bubbling indicating good carbonation, fairly pleasant to look at

N: citrusy hops mix well with the oak chips, faint smoky note, don't remember liking the original arrogant bastard this much

T: grape fruit bitterness surround by full bodied oak, very DIPA like--> except the same malt note that bothers me in the original (Rye possibly)

M: very creamy and excellent for such big flavor

D: pretty good, but that malt note knocks down the score slightly for me

Overall an exceptional beer that packs an incredible amount of taste into a 7.2% beer. As I tell friends, I am just barely worthy of this beer. I enjoy the hop overload, but the malt bill always throws me slightly. I do think that the oak chip aged version does mute some of the characteristics slightly making the overall taste more cohesive and less abrasive.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

12 oz. bottle - Dark molasses color with a tint of red –head is tan , medium , small bubbles – nose of dark berries ( cherries ) , cinnamon , coffee grounds and orangey – taste of malts , gummy tar , spruce , hopps ( both bitter , and pine ) caramel , and some wood ( mostly cedar )- medium tart body – aftertaste is long earthy , malt and caramel

4.03/5  rDev -4%

12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a dirty woody brownish-ruby with a very thin fizzy dark brown head that quickly reduced down into an oily film that left sheets of sticky lacing.
S: Sweet caramel malt, light grassy hops, and an overall smokey bbq scent similar to woodchips.
T: Very rich and bold flavors assault the palate. Starts off with a bitter grapefruit hop punch that is quickly overpowered by caramely sweet malt. Then the hops comeback in the finish with bitter grassy notes. There is a touch of smokey woody flavor left in the aftertaste, and an overall ambiguous fruit flavor (pineapple?) to the beer. Aftertaste has notes of cumin seed as well.
M: Medium-heavy oily body with an oily slick mouthfeel and medium smooth carbonation. Aftertaste is dry, bitter, and smokey.
D: Stronger than AB with a heavier body. The oaked flavors add a nice touch to the flavor but I could take it or leave it. I wouldn't say better than AB, just a bit different. Great beer none the less.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

A - Beautiful mahogany in color. Has think lasting tan head. Carbonation is visible. A little lacing as well.

S - Pine and citrus hops dominate the nose. Toffee malts and alcohol are in the background trying to be noticed. Also picking up a woody character towards the end of the nose.

T - Sweet up front unlike the nose this time with a citrus bitterness in the middle with tinge of alcohol and oak.

M/D/N Medium bodied and soft, with medium carbonation. Fills nice on the palate. I could see drinking plenty of this beer with no problem. Drinkability is good. Although doesnt warrant the high price tag at 18 dollars a six pack.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Amber in appearance with some ruby hightlights. A tall off white head sits on top. the head is slow to fade and leaves some lacing on the glass.
Aroma is wet oily hops up front and caramel malts. Oak aroma is real light amd sutle.
Taste is pretty good although I don't think I'll be a fan of this one.
Drinks with a good hop bite and a desent malt presence. The oak taste is quite apparent from first sip, but something is missing. I'm waiting for the bourbon bite but there is none.
The oak chips dry out the beer and make it quite bitter and puckering.
I think Arrogant Bastard is a good beer but the addition of the wood chips takes away alot of the taste and basically the character and personally of the beer.
Just good.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Alrighty then. Big ass 3-Liter bottle with copious Stone Brewing Company rhetoric screen printed on glass. Very pompous. Lock and chain. Extremely pompous. Let's see if this one lives up to the hype...

Served at cellar temperature in a pint glass. Several times.

A - Pours a light, completely clear chestnut color with rusty highlights; looks a bit like a dark cognac. Very fluffy off-white head.

S - Toasted caramel maltiness with well rounded maple and vanillin notes. Some raisins. Some wet cardboard. Really the only place the oak shines through.

T - Maltiness takes on a dry, chocolate cake character. Aftertaste is green and hoppy - quite bitter, and just as it begins to fade, it repeats again to remind you it's there. Nice, but lacking any real bravado or standout traits.

M - Watery coming into the mouth, with a bit of fizz to fill the mouth. Turns smoother as it approaches room temperature.

D - Overall, this beer is slightly underwhelming given the hype and rarity. And the math doesn't work out in favor of the consumer. The bottle is 101.4 oz., which equals 6.33 pints... maybe 8 pints if you leave room for head. At $70 a bottle, you're talking $8.75 a glass. Now, I could justify this price for a full pint on tap... but not for a glass at home from a bottle that you inevitably have to have others pitch in to finish.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

12oz bottle poured into my cigar city snifter!

A- A beautiful beer. Pours dark amber in color. When held to the light there are flashes of ruby red. A huge billowing head that has excellent retention. There is a smashing amount of sticky lacing clinging to my glass.

A- Piny hops up in the nose right away. I could smell them as soon as I cracked this one open. The wood is subdued but is definitely present.

T- Well like I was guessing from the aroma, the hops pack a punch. They lead the way here. They are followed by a spice that I can't quite finger. There is a caramel malt profile lingering in the back row. The wood comes out as the beer warms.

M- Medium in body with a nice crisp finish.

D- Pretty good, I dont know if I'd choose to drink it all night, but I was definitely wishing I had a bomber and not just a 12oz bottle.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

I'm a big fan of the original Arrogant Bastard. This one is excellent too, but I think I like the original better. This one pours nicely, and the deep red color is beautiful. The oaky flavor is lovely, but the original AB is really special. The added oak flavor is a nice twist, but not needed.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A heavy reddish-brown ale. Almost a tarnished penny or cola color. From the tap, the beer forms a thick creamy head. Unfortunately, it fades away to a wispy sheet covering the suface. A strong lace remains on the glass long after the beer is gone.

Smell: I smell ripe fruit, figs. There is an abundance of alcohol esters and yeasty malts. Not sure if it was intended, but I get a slight bit of vanilla.

Taste: A hint of a metallic taste with a woody bitterness on the end. There is an initial sweetness that mellows into a nice caramel flavor. I did catch a little bit of a yeasty aftertaste over the oak.

Mouthfeel: An ale with less carbonation than I had expected, which actually benefits this beer. A rich and creamy beer that definitely lives up to its price tag.

Drinkability: Stone puts out some great brews. I admit this was my first experience of Arrogant Bastard not to mention the first oaked beer I have tried. I was and am very impressed by this brew. I look forward to enjoying this beer at every opportunity I get.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

I couldn't resist picking this up and giving it a try.

Appearance is a gorgeous deep red/amber/brown with a rich, creamy looking head. The foam fades fairly quickly to a collar - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch in thickness. The head hangs around on your glass for a while, too.

Smell: I noticed oak in the aroma of the beer immediately. This, for me, is a bit unusual as I consider my sense of smell somewhat lacking. I picked up some caramel hints along with a traditional ale aroma. The aroma from this beer is quite unique, and is especially noticeable after the beer has breathed for a bit.

Taste: This is a very interesting and complex beer. It benefits well from an opportunity to breath, in my opinion. The effect of the oak process is certainly reflected in the taste -- for me, as the beer hits the back of my throat. The open is a nicely bittered ale, decently rich in hops with a hint of bitter citrus. The initial bitterness fades a bit, replace with some oak hints combined with malt, caramel, and a grapefruit sensation. There is a lingering hops taste, but some sips produced a long caramel/malt finish as well -- very interesting.

Mouthfeel: This beer has a bit of a "bite" to it, but as a strong ale, I would expect that. This bite isn't from aggressive carbonation (which I don't care for), but is from the power and complexity of this beer. Some people may not like the acidic feeling on the back of the throat (if they even experience it), but to me, it added to the overall experience.

Drinkability: I prefer to drink this beer slowly, allowing it to warm up a bit and to breathe. At 7.2% ABV, it might be a bit high for a session beer -- and some might find the powerful, complex character of this beer too much for a session. Nevertheless, it is an enjoyable drinking experience, and I rated it as such.

I would not recommend this as a first step for one moving away from BMCs, and perhaps not even as a second step. Just like DIPAs, it isn't going to be a beer that ushers in a gentle transition! Other selections might be recommended for that purpose. It is, however, clearly a world-class American Strong Ale, and excellently represents this style. For the experienced drinker of specialty/craft beers, this is a must-try.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Starts with a finger of brown head that slowly receders to a ring around the glass. Beautiful lacing surrounds the glass as you drink it. The beer itself is a cloudy ruby red.

Smell: The initial smell is of strong hops and malts. A oaked smell comes through the strong aroma. Could be a bit stronger in smell though.

Taste: There is a very strong complex taste to this beer that only gets better as you drink it. Besides the obvious strong malts and hops, the oak taste is present but not overwhelming. Overall, great but powerful taste.

Mouthfeel: This is hands down the best mouthfeel I'd gotten from a beer so far. It's got great carbonation and just a silky smooth finish that makes you want to drink more.

Drinkability: When I first started drinking this, I didn't think I would be able to drink more then one but the more I drink of this, the more I think I could drink a couple.

This is overall just a great beer. I can't wait to buy some more and keep it in my fridge.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Hazy, dark brown in color with a ginormous mound of froth that takes 5 minutes to decline to a blanket of tan head with monsterous lacing. The aroma suggests a boozy malted milk shake with herbal qualities and evergreen brown sugar. Nice. The flavor delivers a really wild cotton candy malt with sprucey tinges. Quite sweet with a nutty brown sugar idea. There's a slight medicinal flavor here, but still very sweet. This is solidly medium bodied but it has a bit of an aqueous feel with very delicate carbonation. Like it's original incarnation, this Arrogant Bastard is a very enjoyable brew. No disappointments here.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Dark brown ale with an expanding fizz of off white head, goes from about one finger at the end of the pour to two+ fingers that stay for several minutes. Spotty lacing.

Aromas are strong and woody, with an herbal backing. Lesser notes of florals and citrics from the hopping, while there is also some sweetness of thick, alcoholic malt.

Dark pine oil hopping anchors the flavor, herbals follow, featuring a bit of mint. The malt is thick and sweet, also noticeably oaky. Creamy and thick, a large beer, somewhat challenging. Dry finish with big wood notes.

Interesting twist on their Strong Ale, this is a very decent oaked brew, and a must for fans of the Bastard.

12oz bottle poured into a pint

Pours a murky mahogany color with tiny bits of yeast suspended in the body. Head was a two finger beige pillow that took a while to fade and left huge chunks of lace.

Smells of wood, smoke, vanilla, piney hops, and caramel fill the nostrils. Minus the hops, and it reminds me of a scotch I once had, whose name escapes me right now.

Taste is more sweet caramel and wood. Hints of pine and honey round out the backside of the swirl in my mouth.

This really reminds me of a scotch, very tame and mellow mouthfeel. Creamy and medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good, surprising considering the oak aging and the alcohol content.

This was a perfect celebratory beer after my alma mater Saint Joseph's routed villanova by 22. Perfect.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

A- Copper/brown. Tan, lacy foam. Looks very good.

S- Syrupy malt, grapefruit hops.

T- This brew attacks strong and straight up the middle with a dominating strike of grapefruit-bitter hops. Mid-palate is rich malt. The finish is overwhelmingly, aggressively hop bitterness. A touch of barrel char? The vanillin oak slightly attenuates the edge compared to the Arrogant.

M, D- CO2 level is very lively and gives bouyancy to the significant weight. ABV just detectable. A substantial beer, this.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Bottle from Bear World in Watertown.

A - Bright. Amber with ruby notes. A fluffy two finger head of big tight bubbles sits there with a light brown colour. Nice rings of thin lace all the way down and a half finger of retention.

S - Huge caramel mixing with citrus hops. Woody and earthy as well.

T - I can only get a bit of vanilla from the oak. Sweet caramel and earth flow towards resinous hops with a minty/herbal and grapefruity character. A distinct woody note is there after a while.

M - Nice and bitter with gentle carbonation and a medium body.

O/D - Pretty solid, yet I can't see the oak imparting too much character on this to make a significant difference. A tasty beer, but it seems like oak influence takes away from what was great about the original. Still a great beer, yet building on something that didn't need tampering with.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

I poured this beer into a pint glass, it has a nice dark amber body with not a lot of head. The smell is of roasted malts and some citrus hops comes through. The taste is a little of oak and roasted malts up front, then some bitter hops hits the back of the tongue. It has a nice mouth feel and overall a good and balanced beer.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured from the bottle, into a pub glass.

A nice rich brown, with fluffy kaki head! Very pretty beer!

Smell, to be expected, there was some Oak character in there, not as much as I would have expected, I had to search for it. Has a very sweet smell, almost like candy. Had some real bourbon/cognac quality to it. Very complex nose.

Taste was very good. Malty, with some hops to come in after. Had some fruity, citrus qualities, and again, you can taste a hint of woody oak.

A drinkable beer, but in low quantities, not one I would want more then one or two of.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Year old 12oz bottle. Pours an amber/brown with a small head. I don't care much for the look. Nose is fresh flowers, oak, brown sugar, and alcohol. Taste is dominated by oak, which leaves a lasting bitter finish. Mouthfeel is very nice, medium with perfect carbonation.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

on tap at varga in philly

Pours a clouded burnt amber color with a thick froth of slightly tanned head. Retains nicely with plenty of lacing and a layer of film.

Strong scents of pine hoppiness tempered by caramel and bready malt. Some vanilla and oak with slight citrus. Faint alcohol warmth.

Bitter up front with biting pine hops. Some notes of grapefruit and citrus followed by a beefy malt backbone. Bready caramel with smooth oak and vanilla tones. Slightly sweet, but balanced with the hoppy finish.

Medium body, decent carbonation, smooth and creamy on the tongue. Drinks nicely, the oak aging gives this a much better mouthfeel and adds some pleasant vanilla flavor.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.