Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

2.05/5  rDev -51.2%

This ale was quite a disappointment. My friend said this was his favorite beer so I had to try it. I had the double bastard ale and was blown away by the alcohol, I had this one and was just blown away by the nasty overall taste. The finish was a serious woody chemical taste akin to Varathane on hard rock maple.

the details

A- Pours dark amber with 1/2 finger head. semi cloudy

S- Very very malty, smooth yet very strong chemical smell

T- Strong hop on the front end

M- medium carbonation

D- Too strong on the back end, way too much oaky taste. Not sure this flavor belongs in beer.

I have a lot of respect for what Arrogant Bastard is trying to accomplish with their aggressive brand of beers but this is a bit over the top. But then again, maybe that's the whole point.

2.13/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm on good terms with the Double Bastard, so I didn't expect this to be so different. I do not like molasses. I do not like the smell of molasses. This reminds me terribly of molasses. Fortunately, the alcohol content overpowers one's taste buds and the molasses taste fades. I got through it ok and recommended it to a friend that likes this type and he gave it a thumbs up.

2.38/5  rDev -43.3%

Chilled 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a clear amber color with mahogany and ruby tones when held to the light. Has a limpid off-white head that quickly recedes to a light film and the collar of death around the drink. A few drabs of lacing but nothing spectacular.

S: Piney, resiny hops, toasted malt, caramel, and toffee, with oak and some vanilla overtones.

T: Toasted and caramel malt, with a lesser pine hop character on the initial taste. It becomes bitter very quickly as the hops take over, and the oak contributes an additional bittering character that I'm not too fond of. By the finish it lessens slightly due to a combination of vanilla and toffee, but the aftertaste is again very dry and bitter. Just not my bag.

M: Medium bodied. Carbonation is slightly high and pricks the tongue a bit.

D: Not a huge fan of this one (and, to be honest, the original form). I recognize the appeal in this one but it's not for me, and I won't get it in the future.

2.45/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours a deep amber color, enticing.

Smells like wood, not surprising given the name, but a bit overbearing.

Taste was... disappointing to say the least, reminded me more of double bastard then arrogant bastard. Too strong, tasted like a piece of driftwood dunked a cheap whiskey. Alcohol was not covered at all, and greatly interfered with enjoyment.

Mouthfeel was a bit bland too, could have used more carbonation. Flat taste.

Overall, a huge let down. I hope I had an off bottle, because I really like arrogant bastard (though I hated double bastard). It just tasted wrong to me.

If you like oak aged, give it a try, otherwise, your money would be spent better elsewhere.

2.45/5  rDev -41.7%

A- Pours dark amber with ruby edges....1/2 finger head....hazy.

S- Lots of booze....some faint malts....some woodiness

T - This got worse as it warmed. Started with some woody bitterness. Turns to alcoholic grapefruit.

O- Too much booze...too much grapefruit without balance...did not like....poured this after 1/2 and grabbed something else.

2.5/5  rDev -40.5%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.