Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +15%

This beer just blew my mind. The oak aroma sets you up for a complex array of flavors. Some people were saying that it has too strong of a grapefruit taste. The grapefruit is there but balances perfectly. Great head retention when poured into a glass and the color was one of the nicest hues of red I have ever seen. My friends were eve commenting on how hilarious the bottle was. This is my perfect beer and I could drink it everyday. I was worried that my $16.00 was not going to be worth it but im getting another one this weekend. Great call on this one. Fantastic!

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Poured into a pint glass. Nice thick head, beautiful amber color with a slight chill haze. Lacing on the glass the entire session. The aroma is of floral hops and an earthy bonque of hops. The taste is fruity sweet, peaches and rose hips come to mind. The body is medium to full and the alcohol is well hidden. After a pint I want more, but I can say the alcohol buzz is now there. There tends to be a smoothier fell to this brew and I can only assume that it is from the oak chips.

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard is a stupendous shade of sunset coral when viewed with bright sunshine behind the glass. Fat slices of tangerine orange can be seen at the edges and are a perfect color complement to the rest of the beer. The thickly creamy head (that is somewhere between pale caramel, pastel orange and golden beige) manages to slather the glass with butter-like streamers of lace. This is a gorgeous ale.

The nose is equally as good and reminds me of a caramel malty IPA, or even a DIPA, that contains boatloads of pungent, citric zesty, spruce-like hops... which is pretty much what Arrogant Bastard is. I don't remember this much fruitiness in the standard AB, but it has been a while since I treated myself to a bomber. Strangely enough, I can't really appreciate the oakiness in the nose.

My palate must have undergone a few changes (development, I hope) since my last Stone AB because the beer isn't the crazed bitter bomb that my memory tells me it was. Actually, it's more delicous than I remember. Whether that has anything to do with the oak chips is hard to say. I was almost ready to say that I can't appreciate oak on the palate either when... hot damn... there is it, making a big splash on the finish.

The beginning and middle portions of each mouthful are dominated by huge flavors of caramel, white grapefruit pith, bitter orange and pine sap. There's nothing better than Chinook unleashed. Rarely have I tasted a more aggressive ale that is so well-behaved in the mouth. Immediately after the swallow is where the caramelized sugar and oak make their move and turn a great beer into a phenomenal one.

I didn't think it was possible, but warming brings about an even greater intensity. Anyone who thinks this beer or its un-oaked brother is overrated is completely off his or her rocker. This is big beer that was brewed with bourbon-loving hopheads in mind. Since that describes me perfectly, it's no surprise that I'm in awe of what Stone has done.

How could the body/mouthfeel be anything less than fantastic? It's as firm as polished granite and is equally as smooth. It also possesses a luscious creaminess that promotes gulping rather than sipping. I find that I'm drinking waaay too fast, as much for how the beer feels as for how it tastes. Well, maybe not.

I'd have to drink Arrogant Bastard Ale and Oaked AB side by side to determine how much they actually differ. My guess is that the oak chips definitely add something of value. I did a little jig when I found out that Stone decided to release this beer in user-friendly 12 oz. bottles. I'm doing an even more enthusiastic jig now that I've had it. Smashing stuff.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance – This one came out a pristine orange-brown in color and was brilliant. It brought up a huge, stubborn, monstrous head in every pour from the 3L bottle. The head clung to the inside of the glass leaving gorgeous lacing and went down in clumps of shaving cream-like foam.

Smell – The classic AB nose is here for sure. The malts are dark and come out a bit better though since the giant hop aroma is somewhat muted. Along with this is the oak. It’s typical American-style oak meaning no big vanilla notes. These wonderful smells fade into a nice, deep, malty caramel at the end. It gives the impression of light whisky.

Taste – The Stone hop combination comes out much more at the taste. Even with the huge, dark, roasty malts coming at you full force they are still an even match. The malts darken up more on the tongue. Finally, the roasty malts and resiny pine give way to a light caramel and toffee finish.

Mouthfeel – This seems a little lighter in the mouth than the regular AB, although I’d still consider it between medium and full-bodied. The sharp bitterness and sticky sweetness are softened by the oak flavors to give this one an incredibly smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability – I hate to use the phrase, “smooth as silk,” but man oh man was this ever so. This was one of the true pleasures in life. What a treat.

Comments – This is probably the biggest “session beer” that I’ve had to date. Skyhand and I had no trouble killing off this 3L bottle. Well worth the $60 that Stone is charging.

Update – Popped the ’06 right after it came out. This is edgy right off the shelf. The oak is raw. I keep checking my cheeks for splinters. This has a lot of spank that needs to be cellared out unless of course you like a little smack to go along with your bastard, which of course we all do. I suggest drinking fresh and aging as well.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

12oz bottle poured into snifter.

A: Mahogany read with a large thick cloudy dark head. Lacing all over the place and had a stronghold the whole beer.

S: Hops, malt and plenty of sweet fruit. Vanilla was the most overtaking. Inviting almost with some cherry phenols.

T: Theres the wood with the hops. The sweet hops were paired so nicely with the oakey flavorings- the vanilla mostly. Outfreakingstanding. The malt is intense for such a low abv in terms of others that just dont have what this one does.

M: Coating of the hops. Carbonation there but not too much, great texture.

D: Complexity and intricacy is through the roof. This beer is flat out fantastic. Such a smooth taste, didnt think the AB could be improved on. Not too strong to not be able to enjoy several.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance: Dark, dark brown with a hint of red. The whitish tan head is perfect. The lacing is perfect. The carbonation is great.

Smell: It smells like a particular kind of hops that I love. The same hops are used in New Belgium's "dig" beer. It's very fruity, like mangoes and plums.

Taste: Awesome. Very complex and difficult to sort through. Perfect malt/hop balance. Woody, fruity,...

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick body, creamy, no carbonation sting (which I actually like).

I love this beer. It's in my top 5.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Picked up at Halftime Beverages (loading up on the good stuff CT can't get...). Dark brown/orange color, with a big frothy head. Nice hoppy aroma, with a little bit of citrus. Taste is incredible! Powerful hops, but in now way overwhelming. I don't know if it's the oak chips that soften things, but this is probably the smoothest beer in this class I've ever tried. For 7.2% it is extremely easy drinking; I could actually see this as a session beer. This is one I'll have to load up on the next time I go out of state.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

This is truly one of the best Strong Ales. Beautiful dark amber color with a nice white head. Taste is quick to announce the oak , malts , hops & woods. Smooth drinker, with a nice mouth feel that is not overwhelming with any one flavor or to heavy. Easy drinker that is not to heavy yet very smooth. Just a great brew all around. Just need the stores to stock it more often here in NY.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

I picked up a 6 pack for 14 bucks, and honestly wanted to hate it... i was honestly blown away. Upon pour I recieved a hint of peach and grapefruit, and upon first taste i was blown away... its hoppy, but its flavor compensates for the overwhelming audacity of its marketing campaign. The notes in the beer cannot be described, and ive seen nothing short of perfection in this Ive had 4, and im pretty toppled... The stone brewery has become a favorite of mine over the years, I expect good things to come, and thank god i can get this beer on the east coast. You can taste the difference between the oak aged, and the regular brew. If you can find it, get at least two sixers... the only problem with this brew is that its hard to find. Upon tasting the first beer, i raised my hands up, and said yes.... yes....

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Served from the always attractive 3L bottle. Luckily we had a new garbage can anda bunch of ice around to chill this bad boy. I have to give the apperance/presentation a 5 because this bottle is so damn cool with the lock and all. The beer itself poured beautifully and looked exacctly like the "un-Oaked" Arrogant Bastard we poured side-by-side. A creamy, frothy head that cascades down the sides of the Arrogant Bastard flute-like glass. The head on the oaked AB lasted the entire glass and then some. Fluffy, soft bubbles formed a nice stiff heaed atop this beer. The aroma is hoppy and sweet but not nearly as stong with the hops as the regular AB. A bit of citrus in the nose as well. The flavor is smoky sweet with a burnt wood flavor. This beer is very very smooth. A lot of the hoppiness has mellowed out to make this a more malty tasting brew. Notes of currant, caramel, and mango fill in the flavor well. It is a slight bit thinner in the mouth but is still very velvety and smooth on the palate. Aging with oak is a definate improvement upon an already exceptional beer.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Fantastic beer. I love the regular Arrogant Bastard, and this is even better. Dark maroon/brown with a decent head. Smells and tastes like Stone for sure - HOPS. Bitter and heavy and full of flavor - very complex beer - this is Stone at its best. I've had three 12oz bottles and I feel great. This is great beer.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Darkish-amber color witha thin, brown head and some lacing. Aroma is nice and oak-ish, slightly fruity/malty as well. Taste is really strong with hops/malt upfront and a nice oak aftertaste that is somewhat dry towards the back of the throat. Second sip confirms a floral/grapefruit taste in the middle before hitting the back of the tongue. Very smooth and complex. Basically Arrogant Bastard with a nice oak feel to it. Lots of lacing left behind as well.

Definitely worth the $2.50/12oz bottle. Would buy this beer again for sure.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Worth the price if you can get it, especially in a single.

A = Thick two finger head, sticky lacing. Dark reddish brown.

S = Caramel, hops, slightly smoky wood.

T = This is by far my favorite Bastard! The oak aging really mellows the hops and lets rich malts make an appearance. Mature, complex taste (Grandpa Bastard?)

M = Medium body. The carbonation keeps things light.

D = I rarely have more than two or three beers in a sitting, but could easily put down a six rack.

Sublime balance.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

I had this for the first time on tap at Stone Brewery for their Hoppy Fathers Day buffet... and ... WOW. I loved the oak flavor. It was very strong, and obviously the primary flavor of this beer. This coupled with the fantastic BBQ I was eating... well, they just went hand in hand.

All in all, I rated it high because how it accompanied my meal, it was faaan-tastic! I don't know if I would have loved it as much on its own... but my next BBQ, some Oaked Bastard is what I will be serving.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured this one into a pint glass. The beer has a reddish-brown amber color to it, with a nice off-white (slightly yellowish) head. The head is nice and sudsy and leaves lacing down the sides of the glass.

The aroma is, like most Stone beers, hoppy. Lots of hop aroma for a beer that is technically not an IPA. Underneath the earthy hop aroma is a strong, sweet malt smell that lets you know there is substance to this beer. There is also a slightly woody/piney aroma mixed with vanilla that mingles with the two dominant characters.

The flavor is like heaven on earth. Or hell, if you're more into that. Wow, this stuff tastes amazing. Somewhat syrupy sweet malts mix with a strong dose of citrus-laden, bitter hops. Delicious and well balanced. Vanilla notes are there as well and help smooth things out. The most hidden flavor is the oak, but the wood taste is still there and well done. Enough oak to give this beer a more refined flavor, but not enough to turn it into a woody mess.

The mouthfeel is rich and creamy. The head sustains very well throughout the drinking of beer and aids in trapping many of the aromatics from escaping.

The drinkability is superb and somewhat scary. The 7.2% ABV is virtually unnoticeable and could easily creep up on you. I could drink this nectar of the gods all night. Excellent job Stone! The regular Arrogant Bastard is a great beer, but this has got to be one of the best beers I have ever had.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from bottle into point glass.

A-Pours a very clear and clean looking deep amber/mahogany color. Off white head that laces all the way down to the last drop.

S-Very grainy and woody. Smells like biscuits and the oak aromas cut through. Good hop presence as well.

T/M-Wowers!!! What a beer!!! Tastes just like it smells. The oak flavoring hits in at the very end. Grains and hops are balanced well and the hops combine with the oak for a nice piney/earthly finish.

Overall this beer is one of a kind. Thanks to CrazyMacHarris99 for this perfect specimen.

Drink em' if ya got em'

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured in to a chalice from a 12 oz bottle. No date.

A- Great looking brew, nice two finger head, off white with a meringue consistency. Excellent retention.

S- This runs the gamut from caramel to biscuit to licorice with just a hint of the oak wood.

T- Fantastic flavor which is much drier than the aroma would lead you to believe. There is a nice malt sweetness that is instantly replaced by some bitterness that hits at the back of the palate. Hop bitterness as well as some oak tannins that create an astringent finish that lingers. The oak really comes through in the after taste. Oh, yeah, some alcohol too...

M- Full bodied, almost chewable. Pleasant carbonation adds to the smoothness.

O- If you are growing weary of the over exhuberant hoppiness of IPA's and DIPA's but still like something with a bitter kick, this does it. Wish I had bought a six pack. Next time I'd like to try this next to the un-oaked version just for fun. Excellent!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

This was my perfect beer of 2008. From the beautiful brown that bounces all around the glass to the mouth feel which is heavy enough to know you have something in there but not enough to suggest that you're having a meal. The ABV is in perfect balance with the brew's more earthy flavors. From the first sip to the last there is no wandering of flavor. This beer is in your mouth, to the point, and gone until the next sip. The after taste is pleasant and not a loiterer. You can smell this brew from a foot away though its ABV doesn't suggest how strong it actually was. All in all, I recommend this beer to anyone, and as a guy who cooks everything with beer; I must say that using this to cook would be insulting to its true purpose. Put it in a glass.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Beautiful deep, dark red amber. Decent head. Lovely.

Smell: Has that faint, not overly sweet, chocolate malt smell, that I immediately recognize, I can tell this beer by smell alone, after just the first one.

Taste: This is some delicious stuff, I don't pretend to taste all the singular notes that make up this brew, but the hops are there, right on point, there's definitely some chocolate, some dubbel like sweetness. Shit....IS GOOD...IS VERY GOOD!!

Mouthfeel: Rich and chewy, there's got to be a assload of malt in this one.

Drinkability: The richness of this beer, not to mention the price tag do not exactly meld with a session type beer, but I could easily drink myself into a cashless stupor with this one. Worth the hype.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass at fridge temperature; allowed to warm over 45 minutes or so.

A: Pours a dark brown which shows ruby against the light. A rather off-white head forms and quickly settles to a tight cap. Some lacing down the glass. The beer is completely clear and shows lively carbonation.

S: As it warms, the beer releases hop aromatics and apple skin notes. The oak is very subtle, contributing a mild vanilla note.

T: Green apple and pear predominate at first, yielding to some American hops. The oak contributes some tannic spiciness and very subtle vanilla that is really present only in the finish and more so as the beer warms. The beer ends dry and bitter, but without any astringency or harshness.

M: Light to medium-bodied, the beer dances on my tongue.

D: At over 7% abv, this fairly strong ale should be harder to drink. Unlike most oaked ales I have had, this one is actually refreshing and welcoming. I wish I had bought a 6 pack instead of the lone bottle.

Overall: Most oaked beers, whether stouts or otherwise, show a lot of oak. Not so this one. The use of oak is masterful, allowing the oak to support the rest of the beer without in any way dominating it. This is an outstanding beer, worthy of seeking out and worth every penny of its not insubstantial price. It is an elite American ale.

poured into duvel glass.

A: pours dark brownish red-orange, with a light brown one finger head, no true lacing due to swirling, but dose lace after swirling.

S: very mellow in comparison to AB, takes a few minutes to open up, light oak, roasted malt, slight citrus, earthy, smoky and fruity

T: again mellow, yet very complex. light hidden flavors, sweet yet bitter. smoky charred oak, caramel, chocolate . coffee is noticed more on aftertaste. hops are lightly citrus,

M: this wont make sense, light but thick, thick in flavor light on tongue, carbonation is medium to mild.

D: needs to be sipped over atleast an hour, flavors come out of hiding from refridgerator cold to room temperature. amazing brew.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Poured from growler into a tulip glass which showed off this beer's beautiful garnet, deep dark cranberry color - it's redder than I expected. The head maintained itself well, a very light cream colored delight that left tenacious lacing and ultimately subsided into a sticky collar.

Smell: The aroma of this beer is simply stunning. HUGELY fruity, but in a good way! Almost no alcohol present in the nose, impressive for upwards of 7%, leaving a delicious hop bouquet undisturbed for my nose's pleasure.

Taste: Wow. Wow wow wow - stuningly smooth considering what this beer came from - the original Arrogant Bastard. The oak aging has worked wonders here smoothing out the harsher, more savage elements of the original into a truly refined delight for the senses.

There's no doubt about who's boss - it's the hops! Still, in a strange way this beer achieves balance. As the brew warms up, the alcohol becomes slightly more present, but it's never overpowering owing to the fact that it could never outshine the delicious hops in this brew. Alcohol is most noticable in the aftertaste, which by the way is delicious - appropriately bitter and woody - and lasts for about 10 minutes if you let it.

Overall: This was without a doubt one of the best beers I have ever tasted. Everyone and their mother is "wood aging" everying these days, but the tecnique was put to perfect use in this brew. I'm really not a fan of the original Arrogant Bastard, but the Oaked version seemed to take out all the flaws and accentuate all the positive attributes.

In conclusion - this beer is quite rare, but if you ever have the opportunity to try it, DO IT!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

where do i start...poured a beautiful brownish red. nice three quarter inch head. steady carbonation. smells nice with hops and rich malts. the flava, oh the flava, wonderful mix of hop and malts with a hint of roasted - um wood? nice and smooth. the label says hated by many, well not hated by me. this beer kicks ass and takes names.

suckem up and movem out. cant wait to try on tap.

giblet

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.