Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

2.51/5  rDev -40.2%

A- Pours dark amber with ruby edges....1/2 finger head....hazy.

S- Lots of booze....some faint malts....some woodiness

T - This got worse as it warmed. Started with some woody bitterness. Turns to alcoholic grapefruit.

O- Too much booze...too much grapefruit without balance...did not like....poured this after 1/2 and grabbed something else.

2.52/5  rDev -40%

Pours a deep amber color, enticing.

Smells like wood, not surprising given the name, but a bit overbearing.

Taste was... disappointing to say the least, reminded me more of double bastard then arrogant bastard. Too strong, tasted like a piece of driftwood dunked a cheap whiskey. Alcohol was not covered at all, and greatly interfered with enjoyment.

Mouthfeel was a bit bland too, could have used more carbonation. Flat taste.

Overall, a huge let down. I hope I had an off bottle, because I really like arrogant bastard (though I hated double bastard). It just tasted wrong to me.

If you like oak aged, give it a try, otherwise, your money would be spent better elsewhere.

2.59/5  rDev -38.3%

Bought a sixer a while back and had a few with a fellow BA.

Looks like a typical Stone brew (great)

With the first whiff I was turned off. Way too much of an oak/pine presence.

The taste was the same as the smell. It tastes like you watered a X-mas tree with Arrogant Bastard and drank the end product. Reminds me of tanqueray. Hated the taste. Way too much Pine/Oak

Mouthfeel wasn't bad at all, but after the first few sips, I just gulped it down.

Not drinkable at all in my opinion.

Def. not close to one of the worst beers you can find, but I would say skip it and go for a regular Arrogant Bastard Ale, which is Superb.

2.59/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This one has a nice amber color with an ivory head that does hang around.

I do not get the fruity smell that others describe, but there us a hoppy aroma to the beer. The mouth feel is smooth, it is not under or over carbonated.

The taste is quite hoppy. If this is your thing, then you will love this beer Unfortunately, I am not fan of hoppy beers - this one reminds me more of an IPA.

2.62/5  rDev -37.6%

Serving Type: Bottle

Appearance: A muddy brown w/ a 1 finger head that had a good amount of lacing. The head/lacing made up for the not so nice colour

Smell: Nice smell....Citrus, flower like, and woody.

Taste/Mouthfeel: When you first take a sip you get a very nice creamy feeling to it it's followed by a big citrus flavour(Grapefruit) and ends w/ the overpowering taste of Oak. Oak Chips...this drink taste like Oak. Like the beer says...Oak. You tase A LOT of oak. Very dry finish. Overall I enjoy the beginning flavours/feel but the Oak just overshadows the other flavours at the end...and it leaves a odd taste in your mouth

Drinkability: Well I didn't care for it. The Oak just overshadows the good smell and what starts out as a good taste

2.63/5  rDev -37.4%

Brown body with a off white head,leaves a ring around the glass.Nice lacing also

faint Arrogant Bastard smell

Very tasty. as the beer ages it becomes very good and less bitter but still retains its Oaked flavor,its malt flavor shows up also.Its becomes less hoppy which I love.The booze is still there its still a little hard to drink

Creamy and easy going and very malty,nice carbonation also.

I think the beer has lost its kick, I had it for ther first time on xmas eve 06 and it was very bitter and now its a mear shadow of it self.I will say drink fresh whenever possible and drink it all up cause when it gets soft,its not like the Bastard its meant to be.

2.64/5  rDev -37.1%

bottles thanks to franksnbeans and fordest
Almost thinner bodied seaming to its regular counterpart. Still reddish brown, with a somewhat muted dryly-sweet malt smell and light hops. Taste though was lighter, more muted, and much dryer and chalkier, especially in respect to the bitterness. The oak seems to have magnified the things I didn't like about the original. Not for me.

2.68/5  rDev -36.2%

Might have gotten a bad batch, but Overall not impressed at all, long lasting aftertaste. Thick, heavy beer. Long lasting head about 2 fingers tall, cream or off white in color, deep red/brown in color. Had a burnt coffee/wood smell, with a burnt coffee kick in the face for taste.

2.69/5  rDev -36%

A: A almost murky brown with very little head. Light does not pass completely through. Carbonation seems very present as well as some possible sediment?

S: This bottle has been cellared for over a year, yet I still detect some alcohol. Otherwise a nice combination of dates, vanilla, oak, and caramel.

T: Ut-oh. It tastes like medicine. Very herbal and slightly astringent. I had one from the pack fresh, so I know they were fine when I got them. I think this might be a little early for this one. Slightly sweet and reminiscent of some fruit I can't put my finger one, its hard to get past the crushed aspirin bitterness.

M: Highly carbonated with a medium body.

D: I doubt I'm going to finish this one, its my fault for jumping the gun though. I'll make sure to come back to this in a years time, as well as get a review for a fresh bottle as well.

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

12oz bottle served into a Heineken half pint glass.

A- Dark hazy copper body with 2 finger creamy head that holds well considering abv, with some nice lacing.

S- Hops dominating, i would compare it to a really well aged mature cheddar. A little raisin perhaps, a vinous note, maybe could even describe it as vinegar like!

T- Its just hop domination start to finish, the well aged cheddar note comes through for me in the beginning but the sharpness of the grapefruit like hops overpower and dominate into the lingering dry finish. Malt hasnt a hope.

M- Medium body and high carbonation.

D- Its just not enjoyable for me. I understand this style is very hop focussed but this is just flat out hop domination. I can appreciate the strong hop aroma but the lack of balance has me wincing with each mouthful, crying out for a little malt sweetness. Not a style i can consider drinkable.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.