Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
jmathis

06-11-2013 01:11:20 | More by kevrice88
livingregret

Washington

Serving Type: Bottle

Appearance: A muddy brown w/ a 1 finger head that had a good amount of lacing. The head/lacing made up for the not so nice colour

Smell: Nice smell....Citrus, flower like, and woody.

Taste/Mouthfeel: When you first take a sip you get a very nice creamy feeling to it it's followed by a big citrus flavour(Grapefruit) and ends w/ the overpowering taste of Oak. Oak Chips...this drink taste like Oak. Like the beer says...Oak. You tase A LOT of oak. Very dry finish. Overall I enjoy the beginning flavours/feel but the Oak just overshadows the other flavours at the end...and it leaves a odd taste in your mouth

Drinkability: Well I didn't care for it. The Oak just overshadows the good smell and what starts out as a good taste

09-11-2007 23:02:19 | More by livingregret
mmedina210

2.58/5  rDev -38.6%

Bought a sixer a while back and had a few with a fellow BA.

Looks like a typical Stone brew (great)

With the first whiff I was turned off. Way too much of an oak/pine presence.

The taste was the same as the smell. It tastes like you watered a X-mas tree with Arrogant Bastard and drank the end product. Reminds me of tanqueray. Hated the taste. Way too much Pine/Oak

Mouthfeel wasn't bad at all, but after the first few sips, I just gulped it down.

Not drinkable at all in my opinion.

Def. not close to one of the worst beers you can find, but I would say skip it and go for a regular Arrogant Bastard Ale, which is Superb.

02-04-2009 06:21:01 | More by mmedina210
OldManRJM

2.58/5  rDev -38.6%

This one has a nice amber color with an ivory head that does hang around.

I do not get the fruity smell that others describe, but there us a hoppy aroma to the beer. The mouth feel is smooth, it is not under or over carbonated.

The taste is quite hoppy. If this is your thing, then you will love this beer Unfortunately, I am not fan of hoppy beers - this one reminds me more of an IPA.

01-05-2014 18:16:17 | More by OldManRJM
savagearms

2.58/5  rDev -38.6%

Might have gotten a bad batch, but Overall not impressed at all, long lasting aftertaste. Thick, heavy beer. Long lasting head about 2 fingers tall, cream or off white in color, deep red/brown in color. Had a burnt coffee/wood smell, with a burnt coffee kick in the face for taste.

02-18-2011 02:00:00 | More by savagearms
Drazzamatazz

Maine

2.6/5  rDev -38.1%

A: A almost murky brown with very little head. Light does not pass completely through. Carbonation seems very present as well as some possible sediment?

S: This bottle has been cellared for over a year, yet I still detect some alcohol. Otherwise a nice combination of dates, vanilla, oak, and caramel.

T: Ut-oh. It tastes like medicine. Very herbal and slightly astringent. I had one from the pack fresh, so I know they were fine when I got them. I think this might be a little early for this one. Slightly sweet and reminiscent of some fruit I can't put my finger one, its hard to get past the crushed aspirin bitterness.

M: Highly carbonated with a medium body.

D: I doubt I'm going to finish this one, its my fault for jumping the gun though. I'll make sure to come back to this in a years time, as well as get a review for a fresh bottle as well.

02-04-2011 02:28:36 | More by Drazzamatazz
TheSSG

2.63/5  rDev -37.4%

A: Pours a thick, soapy head. Deep, almost opaque burnt sienna color. Quite lovely.

S: Bright, sweet malt aroma with a hint of old wood. Extremely nice smelling.

T: Rich coffee malt flavor turns to a bitterness (the grapefruit comment is pretty spot-on). Finish is long and toasted malt, but also tastes like a bourbon finish (would assume this is the oak and grains reacting with each other). As I keep drinking this I find it's been WAAY too heavily hopped. After every sip, that lingering bitterness just stays. It's becoming a cumulative bittering. Which is turning unpleasant.

MF: Surprisingly liquidy, was expecting a thicker, more viscous beverage.

D: It's becoming a labor to finish this; every sip ensures more of this unpleasant bitterness that isn't going away. Too much roasted malt, too much hopping. I would like to try this again if they oaked it for several months or years longer. Needs to really mellow out for such treatment; with more aging the hop bitterness would subside. Then I'd have a beverage I would be in love with.

I decided to post up a review of this because I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the only bier getting play on Beer Advocate being ones that are over the top.
While I'm sure many appreciate taking roasted malt, hop bitterness, and oak all to the Nth degree in the same bier, I do not.

I am most saddened by this because it started off so well. But, 15 minutes later, I am struggling to finish this. Balance, balance, balance. Too much going on at once.
I'm sure the back of the bottle will insist I don't have a "good enough" palate for this or some silliness, but maybe 1/2 the folks on Beer Advocate are smokers and have a numbed palate that NEEDS a blitzkrieg of flavor to get through.

Too much for a full serving. As a 4oz sample, this bier is ASTOUNDING. Undrinkable after about 6 oz.

07-25-2010 03:18:50 | More by TheSSG
JDV

2.63/5  rDev -37.4%

bottles thanks to franksnbeans and fordest
Almost thinner bodied seaming to its regular counterpart. Still reddish brown, with a somewhat muted dryly-sweet malt smell and light hops. Taste though was lighter, more muted, and much dryer and chalkier, especially in respect to the bitterness. The oak seems to have magnified the things I didn't like about the original. Not for me.

02-24-2008 18:44:54 | More by JDV
MmmIPA

2.65/5  rDev -36.9%

Brown body with a off white head,leaves a ring around the glass.Nice lacing also

faint Arrogant Bastard smell

Very tasty. as the beer ages it becomes very good and less bitter but still retains its Oaked flavor,its malt flavor shows up also.Its becomes less hoppy which I love.The booze is still there its still a little hard to drink

Creamy and easy going and very malty,nice carbonation also.

I think the beer has lost its kick, I had it for ther first time on xmas eve 06 and it was very bitter and now its a mear shadow of it self.I will say drink fresh whenever possible and drink it all up cause when it gets soft,its not like the Bastard its meant to be.

01-16-2007 18:49:46 | More by MmmIPA
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

2.65/5  rDev -36.9%

12oz bottle served into a Heineken half pint glass.

A- Dark hazy copper body with 2 finger creamy head that holds well considering abv, with some nice lacing.

S- Hops dominating, i would compare it to a really well aged mature cheddar. A little raisin perhaps, a vinous note, maybe could even describe it as vinegar like!

T- Its just hop domination start to finish, the well aged cheddar note comes through for me in the beginning but the sharpness of the grapefruit like hops overpower and dominate into the lingering dry finish. Malt hasnt a hope.

M- Medium body and high carbonation.

D- Its just not enjoyable for me. I understand this style is very hop focussed but this is just flat out hop domination. I can appreciate the strong hop aroma but the lack of balance has me wincing with each mouthful, crying out for a little malt sweetness. Not a style i can consider drinkable.

01-01-2011 19:21:20 | More by seanyfo
aaronh

2.68/5  rDev -36.2%

When I popped the top of this beer, an evil looking vapor slowly crept from the bottle. Pours into the glass with a moderate tan head that quickly fades. Aroma of vanilla, damp malt, and a hint of bourbon notes. Flavor is dominated by the oak notes. Dry smoky flavor has very little malt sweetness to counteract it. Hop bitterness comes in eventually, but still plays second fiddle to the wood. For this size of a beer, the mouthfeel is a bit thin. Drinakbility is OK, but I'd take regular AB, DB, or really ANYTHING else stone has to offer over this. I think I can get a couple more if anyone's intersted in trades. :) Pretty much a disappointment.

09-20-2007 01:43:46 | More by aaronh
zeledonia

2.69/5  rDev -36%

I'll preface this by saying that I don't really like the Arrogant Bastard variations that I've had (regular and double). But I'm giving oak a try anyway. Tasted 19 June 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours a pleasing mostly clear deep slightly reddish amber. Half-finger of orange-tan head, decent retention, okay lacing. Fine.

Smell is the best part of this beer, for sure. Comes through oaky, musty sweet, and deep. Like sniffing fruit (peaches, apricots) in a moist earthen wine cellar. Vanilla oak, stone fruit, and maybe a little mold. Quite nice, actually.

Taste has, unfortunately, most of what makes me dislike regular and double bastard. It's powerfully bitter in an acrid, unenjoyable way. Like aspirin crossed with onions. The first third is okay, deeply malty and semi-sweet, like a low-level doppelbock or something. But then the bitter kicks in, and the only thing that saves this from being a drainpour is the faintest hint of balance provided by the sweetness and fruit (which struggles to break through the surface).

Feel is fine. Medium-bodied, carbonation right where it should be. Lasting, which could be good, but in this case I want it to fade out more quickly.

I might finish this bottle. I might not. But I will definitely not be drinking another one. Whatever hops they put in this beer, however they add them, it doesn't agree with me. Turns out an oaky version of a beer I don't like is still a beer I don't like.

06-28-2013 19:15:50 | More by zeledonia
Frozensoul327

2.73/5  rDev -35%

A: Ruddy red color witha small head of red/tan foam. Lower carbonation. No lace. Pretty clear through the glass.

S: Dense notes of vanilla bean and rich, heavy caramel malt. A woody note is present, likely due to the oak (duh).

T: Notes of whisky, grain, alcohol, wood and wine like fruitiness. Kind of sour. No vanilla note or sweetness as hinted at in the aroma. Not my bag.

M: Light. Slightly sour and a lower level of carbonation. Dry finish reminds me of a red wine.

D: Not for me. Maybe i'm not "ready" for it. Don't know if I ever will be. This highly touted beer falls way flat in my book. When I think American Strong, this isn't what i'd like to imagine. I just don't care for this one.

01-02-2007 00:18:44 | More by Frozensoul327
DerBayer

Germany

2.73/5  rDev -35%

Hmmm looks interesting a cloudy dark ruby pretty enticing but little head

Smells of bitter hops faint caramel and some vanilla

TAstes of much the same but there it is AGAIN the same sickly aftertaste of cream soda as in Stone Imperial Stout but luckily less pronounced

Mouthfeel is moderate but refreshing carbonation with a medium body

Drinkability is well not exactly moorish

08-15-2009 19:59:16 | More by DerBayer
Intimidtor

2.73/5  rDev -35%

I have enjotyed most American Strong Ales that I've had. This one is not for me. I think I would love this beer without the oak after taste. Poured from bottle into clean glass. About 1/4 inch of head. Smelled inviting and first taste had me questioning what it was I just tasted. Continued on and it never got better. I'm not saying this is a bad beer becase many like it. Just not for me. Ill stick with Great Lakes Nosferatu for an American Strong Ale.

10-30-2009 02:15:09 | More by Intimidtor

TheMandevillian

Louisiana

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

06-17-2014 01:56:29 | More by TheMandevillian
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.