Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -35%

I have enjotyed most American Strong Ales that I've had. This one is not for me. I think I would love this beer without the oak after taste. Poured from bottle into clean glass. About 1/4 inch of head. Smelled inviting and first taste had me questioning what it was I just tasted. Continued on and it never got better. I'm not saying this is a bad beer becase many like it. Just not for me. Ill stick with Great Lakes Nosferatu for an American Strong Ale.

2.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours a beautiful clear reddish-brown. Nice 1" head, light tan with great retention. Thick and creamy leaving great lacing.
Smell is hops, a hint of grapefruit and the absolute faintest hint of malt.
Taste is hops, malt, grapefruit, faint oak note.
Medium body, medium effervescence with a crisp tingle up front and a smooth finish. ABV is not noticed at all. Mostly hops aftertaste with a slight caramel note. No oak noticed at all and little malt.
A decent beer but not up to the expectations of a Stone brew.

2.83/5  rDev -32.6%

12 ounce bottle poured into imperial pint glass

A: Amazing looking deep amber brown with a huge head. Truly excellent looking.

S: I initially thought it smelled amazing, but the woody grain oakness is turning me off a bit even though, the fresh hoppy oily arrogant bastard of course smells amazing.

T: You know, I absolutely love Arrogant Bastard, but I am not digging the oaked treatment. I feel like I am drinking Arrogant Bastard and then licking an oak barrel. I don't quite get it...It just does not taste good to me.

M: The beer has a great mouthfeel, but the chalkiness of the dry oak I do not enjoy.

O: Overall, I love Arrogant Bastard, but not this version. Sort of a weak review, but I've already reviewed Arrogant Bastard to much acclaim, and just am not digging this variation.

2.93/5  rDev -30.2%

Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard pours mahogany-red in color with a massive beige head wich leaves a mess of lace on the glass as it retreats, clarity is unsurpassed.

Aroma is sweet, vanilla and alcohol.

Flavor starts bitter lemon with mild sweet tea middle, bitter spicy fade.

Smooth and fairly thin, the ale seems to lose every bit of carbonation about half way through .

Drinkability suffers, thin, lack of carbonation, flavors stacked to the bitter side.

2.98/5  rDev -29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured this from the bottle into a mug.

Looked and smelled good, dark.

First taste was bitterness, and water. I hate when I can pick up on the water in a beer. Besides that it did have a decent body, and I appreciate dark beers, but I have just never been able to appreciate any of the Arrogant Bastard brews.

Mouthfeel was pretty carbonated and bitter. If you like bitter, you will like this one, but not the most bitter I've had.

Overall, I finished it. That's about it.

2.98/5  rDev -29%

Twelve ounce bottle, moderate pour into a tulip glass, yields a solid two finger off-white head over a deep amber-mahogany body. Extensive lacing. Pretty beer.

Smell is nice, though not very strong. Cracker malt, pine hops, floral hops, a bit of hay and grass. The oak is definitely there.

Taste is like the smell, although in reverse order. The hops hit first, then the malt, and then the oak vanillins come on good and strong. The oak is what saves this from being an altogether mediocre tasting beer.

Mouthfeel is enriched by the oak-chip smoothness. Nice and round. Good soft carbonation.

Drinkability -- what can I say? It's west coast beer, which means the hop-load is way out of line with the style. I couldn't have more than one of these, because the complexity of the malt and oak-chip flavors are simply smashed by the over hopping. Stone has done it again: taken what might have been a really good beer and made it average by overhopping it. Somebody tell me why Stone's beers all taste like a variation on an IPA! Somebody else tell me what the attraction to Stone beers might be.

Better than the regular Arrogant Bastard, which is just one dimensionally hop-dominated. At least this has the vanilla flavors of the oak to save it from totally mediocrity. This would be a really good beer if Stone could just have held back about half the hops they put in.

2.98/5  rDev -29%

Hazed dark mahogany/ruby red appearance. Thin and bubbly dirty white head. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is all that goodness I remember from AB with just a hint of woodiness in the aroma. That pineapple tropical fruit melange brings back memories. I also get a little caramel/nougat thing going on. Taste is fairly bitter and actually a little harsh and abrasive. I'm not sure I like the effect of the oak chips here. Cuz I remember loving the hell out of the real thing. I think the chips bring a little astringency to the mix. I don't dig the aftertaste at all. All that tropical fruit goodness that I remember takes a backseat now unfortunately. To the over-riding oak chip quality. Too much for my liking.

I guess they're right about this one. I'm NOT worthy.

Thanks for the brew Darren.

2.98/5  rDev -29%

Poured into a Bruery snifter, the darkest of ambers. Small head with a thin film of frothy bubbles covering the brew. Slightly sour aroma, maybe black malt? Would account for the darkness of the beer. Thick lacing

First sip different from the second sip. Bitter hops dominated at first, more palatable the second time around, partnering with the flavors of oak and malt.

Once I could look past the bitterness, there was a creamy mouthfeel that was pleasant. Too much hops, too much lingering bitterness on the tongue for me to try this one again.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.