Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,065 | Reviews: 1,848
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

One of my all-time favorites, oaked and on-tap. Poured into a pint glass a dark mahogany-brown with a small finger of almond colored bubbly head. Plenty of sticky, long lasting lace with the head lasting to the end.

Smells like Arrogant Bastard too me. Spicy, floral and fruity citric, with malt and pine being being tamed by the oak.

Tastes like Arrogant Bastard (imagine that) with the exception that the woodyness lends, taking some of the edge off of the normally large hop profile. It just seems to mellow the Bastard in a very nice way.

A little smoother in the mouthfeel dept. than the standard AB, a nice pleasant change to a brew that's always "spoke for itself".

Love this stuff !

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with little head, but maybe the bartender's fault. The lacing was quite pretty and oddly symmetrical.

Smell: Grapefruity hops are the major smells I get from this brew. There's a light malty back bone and a sweet fruitiness. Somewhere between plum, melon and molasses, but with none of the particular smells of the three.

Taste: Again, grapefruit as if it's a heavily hopped red ale. The alcohol is an immediate presence on the palate, but goes nicely with the rich sweet syruppy taste. There's a verry hoppy background, like most of stone's brews, but balances out with the malty foreground.

Mouthfeel: Medium to bodied with an air of hops, alcohol and what I can only assume is the effect of the oak cask all mix with the hoppy bitterness to create an amazing mouthfeel. This is a smokey, thick, bitter brew. Amazing.

Drinkability: All of the flavors, smells and alcohol are quite intense, but also constructive. This is not a session brew by any means, but takes some thinking to get through the glass. Kudos on a fantastic beer lesson; complexity 101.

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

I had this beer on tap at O'Brien's. I didnt know if I would be able to have a chance to have this beer on tap ever again. I am glad that I did.

This beer pours arusty brown color with a slight orange tint. It has a thick light tan head that fades slowly, leaving many laces.

This beer has a floral aroma. It smells quite sweet. It has a very subtle oak aroma to it. The alcohol content is notable in the aroma.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. Floral hop flavor is dominate. Behind that, I get some oak flavor. Alcohool content is there also. It has a very sweet taste. It is not quite as hoppy as Arrogant Bastard. The hops have just died down a little.

This beer is very full bodied. It leaves a sweet floral hop aftertaste. It is carbonated well.

This beer would probably not make a great session beer. The flavor is very aggressive, and therefore, after a few, it might get old. Also, the alcohol content is a little high, so drinking too many would be a problem.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured this one from a Magnum. The Bastard Wood. Would you? reads the huge bottle.

The appearance was not much differrent than the standard bastard. Dark reddish brown with a nice head that laced the glass.

The smell was hoppy with a hint of oak.

The taste was far smoother than the regular Bastard. Huge citrus hops are noticable fading to oak at the end. Smooth and complex. Pretty incredible. The mouthfeel was smooth, and the drinkabiliity was superb.

I prefer this one to the regular Bastard. It takes it to a whole new level, and it's great. Awesome stuff.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge 3litre bottle, love this bottle.

First served cold and then allowed to warm up in my cellar fridge.

Appearance - Deep dark amber in color, looks maybe just a hair darker than the regular Arrogant Bastard. Same off white head leaving awesome lacing. Maybe its just me but the Oaked seems to have better head retention.

Smell - All the great aroma of Arrogant Bastard, especially the hops but with a sweeter, maltier aroma. I would say thats some of the oak coming through?

Taste - Again still very close to the regular Arrogant Bastard, this one is sweeter and the woodiness of the oak comes through as it warms. Also a great caramel taste comes through as well, this to me is the sweeter aspect of it. When I say its taste is close to regular Arrogant, I don't want to mislead, this is still a very different beer and to me is much more suited for other occasions, this one is much nicer after a meal.

Mouthfeel - Smooth with a larger medium body than the orginal.

Drinkability - While a very drinkable beer, I was careful and could have gone the distance with my dad who went in on this bottle with me but he gave up early, guess he had homebrewed himself out earlier.

Overall this has been my favorite new beer experience in a long, long time. While it is a bit pricey, in my mind it was well worth it.

3.67/5  rDev -12.6%

Cask pull at the Falling Rock Taphouse (Denver). Presented a half-finger light-brown head that clings and keeps hanging around. Super cloudy brown (reddish) liquid. Smells caramel with light bourbony oak. Dark oak, american. Touch of alcohol sting in my nostrils. After sitting a while, the piney hops became much more apparent.

Tastes super-creamy mouthfeel, but light body. Delicious oak character. Vanilla and a touch toasty. AB hop umph is absent or covered. Dry woody finish. Touch of bitter and grassy, perhaps that's the hops beginning to show themselves. After sitting a while, I get a hint of hazelnut and chocolate. A settled piney hop flavor, like this beer has been aged. Nearly absent carbonation.

Okay, this last 1/3 of the beer has sat at least a half hour. Oranges early in the taste. Esters are low, which was deceiving, as the mouthfeel sets up an expectation. Just a little bit of alcohol heat. Touch of cherry sour. Cascade hop smell and flavor. IMO, this beer was fairly disappointing. Needs more sweet and some esters to accompany the mouthfeel and fill out the beer.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Finally got a chance to try this brew I've been longing after during Dark Lord Day. Poured carefully from the huge 3L bottle into my New Glarus glass a deep brilliant amber red color with a healthy white head on top of the brew. As I put my nose to the glass I got some nice rich caramel maltiness along with big piney and citric hop resins. A touch of frutiness with a wonderful oaky, woody aroma. Hints of vanilla and toffee. Really enjoyable and a step up for me from regular AB.

First sip brings a ruch of caramelized fruity malts along with a smooth oak flavor that really adds a nice element to the brew. Resinous, piney bitter hops roll in as the beer goes down with a solid bitterness. Finishes a bit dry with a lovely lingering woodiness coupled with a touch of vanilla. An awesome amalgamation of flavors that I personally really enjoyed.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit creamy with laid back carbonation, making this really easy to drink. A tasty oak aged brew that still on the lower end of the abv spectrum for these kinda beers. I'd happily drink much more of this if given the chance. Maybe I'll have to plunk down the change for a bottle of my own someday, but for now I'll just have to be thankful for whoever the kind soul was that brought this and allowed me the opportunity to sample it! Stone strikes again!

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Pour: 8th Anniversary ed. (Nov 05) 3L bottle to tulip glass (over, and over, and over) but the rating's only of the first glass). The pour comes up with about half liquid, half light-brown-colored head that's foamy and long lasting. Leaves excellent lacings along glass and surface of beer when given the time to extinguish itself. The beer is the color of cherry wood stain.

Nose: Incredibly aromatic and complex. This beer could be used as an example of the potential in the depth of beer scents. The smell of black cherries jumped at me right out of the bottle, before I'd even had the chance to pour the glass. Smells sweet, of soda or candy, cherries, plums and vanilla.

Mouth: Most prominently smoky and bitter, the fruity entrance of this beer does not meet the expectations set by the complex aroma. Also, I would prefer that the beer maintained a more strongly carbonated mouth-feel, but I think that the size of the head (which remained consistent to the very last glass of the bottle) uses up a fair amount of the bubbles. The oakiness, while very interesting and enjoyable, seems to be so bitter as to cover up the much needed malty sweetness. A little unbalanced, but over-all an enjoyable 3L celebration.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Alrighty then. Big ass 3-Liter bottle with copious Stone Brewing Company rhetoric screen printed on glass. Very pompous. Lock and chain. Extremely pompous. Let's see if this one lives up to the hype...

Served at cellar temperature in a pint glass. Several times.

A - Pours a light, completely clear chestnut color with rusty highlights; looks a bit like a dark cognac. Very fluffy off-white head.

S - Toasted caramel maltiness with well rounded maple and vanillin notes. Some raisins. Some wet cardboard. Really the only place the oak shines through.

T - Maltiness takes on a dry, chocolate cake character. Aftertaste is green and hoppy - quite bitter, and just as it begins to fade, it repeats again to remind you it's there. Nice, but lacking any real bravado or standout traits.

M - Watery coming into the mouth, with a bit of fizz to fill the mouth. Turns smoother as it approaches room temperature.

D - Overall, this beer is slightly underwhelming given the hype and rarity. And the math doesn't work out in favor of the consumer. The bottle is 101.4 oz., which equals 6.33 pints... maybe 8 pints if you leave room for head. At $70 a bottle, you're talking $8.75 a glass. Now, I could justify this price for a full pint on tap... but not for a glass at home from a bottle that you inevitably have to have others pitch in to finish.

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%

I'm with Hero....got to try it at Dark Lord Day. A big hearty TANKS (in a brogue) to whomever placed this on the tasting tables! I was SO tempted to have this with one of the donuts...

Nice dark copperish colour with a loose, uneven tan head. (The head reaaly was kind of unattractive...maybe just my pour...also seemed to have a greenish hue- but that could have been due to the translucent plastic Solo cup. Next year, I bring my own real glass.)

The smell was all abut fruity amltiness and floral hops. Very nice.

Flavour was, as you might expect, a bit woody, with a nice velvety sweet maltiness and a nice licorice hint. Very nice, but I really expected a tad moore oomph.

Thick and even on the tonuge, the carbonation seemed not very present- but that could have been due tot he bottle being turned up so many times by the time I go to it.

Drinkable? Does the pope shit int he woods? OK, maybe not. But yeah. OH yeah.

Be well
-UF

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Had the pleasure of trying this from a gigantic 3-liter bottle at the Dark Lord Day festivities. For some reason, "oaked" beers were very abundant..Weyerbacher Heresy, Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, BA Dark Lord, and this beauty (among others)

Dark reddish color & thick beige head. Love the woody oak character. Huge toasted malts and resinous hops make up the majority of flavor, with some subtle vanilla tagged on. Remains very smooth down to the last drop. I truly prefer the oaked version over the regular Arrogant Bastard. The oak really adds another dimension of flavor and complexity to the already great brew. I think bottling this in a 3-liter is just downright hilarious, but it's probably the coolest looking bottle you'll ever come across.

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%

A good pour with nice creamy tan head. Dark amber in color.

Smells of toasty oak and vanilla. Hints of caramel, roasted chocolate malt.

Much smoother than it's unoaked sibling. Cinnamon, vanilla, toasty oak. Very well integrated and somewhat complex. A much higher RS than the unoaked version. Still good hop component and big roasty malt flavors. Smooth creamy mouthfeel. Would love to drink a whole 3 liter.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at the beer summit - this was the first beer I drank and I had a full glass of it, so I feel that I can review it.

Basically fairly similar to the regular AB, except much more mellowed. I don't think this is solely a product of the aging, the oak really helps out (I've had a bottle of AB that had been aged for a while). I think a lot of the strong hop presence has been taken over by some wood flavors.

Still a helluva powerful brew, but powerful in a more palatable way. I love AB, but maybe because it tests my fortitude. The oaked AB is lovable because it tastes fantastic.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Happy to get the chance to try this one on tap at Redbones in Somerville, didn't know it was available on tap, as I had only seen the super sized bottles. Anyway, poured the expected dark dark murky amber, with a tan, thick head, and leaving tons of sheeting and sticky lacing. Nose of heavy malts and some coca-cola. Strong, heady brew, lots of malty/hoppy goodness, more cola, vanilla, dark honey and Stone ballysness, oak/wood present but certaintly not overpowering, would love to have the chance to do a side by side tasting of the oaked and non oaked versions. Fine brew from the Stone crew.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Bought this puppy during my visit to Stone this spring. Finally served it up tonight opposite some homemade chili and cornbread.

What can I say. I could gloat about it's gorgeous deep brown color and frothy, billous head. It's alluring, and startlingly complex scent.

I could complain about the difficulty in pouring the first glass from this 3L monstrosity and about the disappointing lack of availability in bombers so that I could imbibe this bitch more frequently (although I hear it's on tap at the Publick House...)

But I'd rather wallow in the wonderful depth of character and flavor. I love big, bold, hoppy beers. And that's here... but it's not predominant. There's an alcoholic sweetness that stands out, the oak is mellow and distant. The distinct AB hops are right in the middle, not attacking up front or lingering behind. Superb balance... but it's not quite as astonishing as I was hoping for. Great, great beer, but between the anticipation and the pour and how it sat in the glass I expected this to be something I would be traveling back to San Diego this week for. It was worth it, but just shy of perfection.

That's faint criticism at best, and I can't wait to compare the on-tap variety.

4.07/5  rDev -3.1%

on tap into a pint glass.

clear copper amber with half an inch of white head.

caramel, vanilla, and floral hops in the aroma. much more balanced than the regular AB.

flavor is similarly balanced. grassy hops with caramel malts, vanilla and a bourbon soaked finish. medium-high carbonation and a medium mouthfeel. better than the regular AB, which is overwhelmingly hoppy in the flavor; the aging has mellowed out the hops and allowed the malts to shine through.

4.31/5  rDev +2.6%

On tap @ TPH in Brookline for $5 on 4/13/06. Served in a pint glass.

This beer is really all over the map. It is very good, no doubt. It is very attractive in the glass, with a supple head. The mouthfeel is very full and creamy, which I appreciate. Many beers sacrifice a full-body for the sake of drinkablility, but this is not one. The taste is a wonderfully complex mess. The bourbony oak flavor is pretty distinct, but far from overwhelming. The hops are very mellow, and I keep having to pinch myself to remind myself that I'm drinking Arrogant Bastard. The kick just isn't there; rather, there is a wonderfully complex taste that is nutty, fruity, and just overall delicious. While I'm not sure I could drink it all night, I consider this beer a treat. I have been very critical of the one-sidedness of regular Arrogant Bastard, but I find the Oak-Aged to be very good.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a hazy brown with a modest bone white head. A decent patchwork of foam adorns the glass. The aroma is heavy on citrusy hops with an anchoring malt sweetness. The taste is, well, hoppy with lots of pine resin and grapefruit rind. A robust malt backbone brings cookie dough to the mix, which is just as quickly beaten down by the lupulin onslaught. Oak and vanilla notes are somewhat restrained, though they show more as the pint warms. The finish is bitter, resiny and long.

an exceptional beer, I was lucky enough to find this at the fantastic Linwood Grille in Boston.

3.81/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a beautiful ruby color, with a substantial rocky head, that diapates slowy with tons of lacing.... Looks great in the glass, plus anything coming out of a 3 liter bottle wins points just for being cool.

Smell is malty, caramel, and hops. little else to speak of.

Flavor is surprisingly subdued... Malt up front, with hint of vanilla and oak, finishing solidly bitter from the hops. Oddly, I find this to be more bitter than the regular bastard, yet not have the same hop flavor or amora. Mouthfeel is rather thin, but still substantial. Drinkability is moderate.

Oddly, I prefer the standard Arrogant Bastard over the oaked version. I had such hig hopes for this, but it just didn't quite deliver. A solidly good beer all around, but not nearly as good as I had hoped... IMO, save your money and stick with the standard A.B.

4.61/5  rDev +9.8%

Simply delicious. I picked up a growler of this from the new brewery and shared it with some good friends. They are both admitted foodies, and I have been trying to share some of my favorite beers with them. This one went down as a favorite amongst all. We've all had good old AB, but oaked AB is something special! It just goes down so smooth, the oak lends the perfect finish to the brew. We finished the growler within a couple of hours, and had a great time in the process.

Highly recommended.

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

The local rep for Stone is named Marty Saylor, and when he mentioned Stone had a keg of Oaked AB on tap at Kinfolk's in Manitou Springs, nearby, I was there!! Not sure I would ever have paid $70 for the mega-bottle it comes in had I not tasted it first, but now I am a believer! I met Marty there, and savored this beer (which no one would consider a session beer all day long. OMG.)

Appearance is a red-brown with ivory foam and lace that sticks around. Aroma contained a matrix of flowers, oak, grapefruit hops and spices. Initial taste possessed an awesome blend of massive hops, sweet malt, citrus, mint, mouthfeel is milkshake-creamy, perfect carbonation, balsam and is followed by a ingeniously crafted smoooth middle in which the oaking is present, and the finish is a crescendo that screams: MORE MORE MORE!

p.s. My friends at Stone in Escondido, CA have started making Oaked Arrogant available in six-packs!! Yay!! The price is about double for other beer, but then, the flavor is about double too...

4.16/5  rDev -1%

Apparently this has been on-tap at a Boston bar or two recently but my tasting was done from one of those large 3 litre bottles. my brother gave it to me as a graduation gift from law school this past spring and I have been sitting on it since. Really want to taste this beer on-tap.

Poured a deep =, burnt red in color that was leaning just a bit toward brown. The head with every pour was huge. I was afraid it was going to be flat even though it had one of those rubber swing-top stoppers. Sheet-like lacing all over the interior of the glass. Nose had hints of dark fruit (figs mostly) with molasses and just a slight tang of hops.

flavor is a very melllow complex. There is a whole lot going on but not too much of any one thing. The oak adds a dimension that really brings the flavor home and keeps everything subdued and enjoyable. More strong molasses andsome deep-woods piney hops give a nice sweet base with a just slightly bitter bite to it all. Got some black cherry, fig and raisin flavors out of it also. Full body that was extremely smooth and not-quite creamy. Absolutely amazingly drinkable and enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev -6%

On tap at BW3 in Indy. A 10 oz. pour, served in a chalice. Mahogany in color and cloudy. Thin white head which disappeared immediately. Hop aroma is restrained by the oakyness. Good caramel and toffe like flavors as in the original AB, but the hops are much softer, along with a slight smoky flavor. This is much more smooth than the original. The body seemed a bit lighter to me. Still very good, but lost some of the in your face hoppy character that I enjoy from the original. All in all, a good treat, and a good chance to compare what adding some oak character does to an already great beer.

4.56/5  rDev +8.6%

So I stopped by Cole's for a late lunch one day last week, and I see that they've got AB on the beer list. I order it, and the server comes back and says, "All we have is the Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard -- is that okay?" Is that okay? Hell, yes, lady!
Served up as a full pint, Oaked Bastard is a cloudier version of the garnet-brown hued "regular" stuff. 1/2" of thick beige froth. The nose, unfortunately, was a bit more subdued than I expected -- perhaps from being served a little on the cold side? Anyway, Chinook vapors and roasted caramel malts wafted up, just not as strong as the non-oaked AB I've sampled. The taste is certainly that of the Bastard I know and love, yet different: softer, rounder, fruitier, more vanilla hints (the oak probably?) -- yet the brutal hops and malts abide. The mouthfeel on OAB is creamier and smoother. Medium bodied and chewy. I went back for more the other day and it was gone. :( Blessed nectar.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

A few of us (including grub, Wintermute, and TheBeerFruit) shared this one on New Year's Eve alongside the standard Arrogant Bastard. It was quite an educational experience, as far as what using oak can do to a beer. You could pick out all the character of the Arrogant Bastard, but with a little something extra. Our bottle poured with just a bit of haze and the lacing was thick and clumpy throughout. There was an earthy woodiness that melded nicely into the aroma and flavour, kind of filling in the gaps between the other characters. There was also a light vanilla flavour that was quite nice. The texture was creamy and smooth as silk. Overall, this is just a little better balanced and more complex than your garden variety Bastard (and I'm not knocking the original here) and definitely a treat.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.