2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,427 | Reviews: 1,814 | Show All Ratings:
n1ckels

3.05/5  rDev -27.6%

First impression: Is this Kool-Aid? Damn, this beer looks red and clear, you'd almost think it was a wine cooler.

Smell: Ok, I think I've nailed it: fresh cut lumber. Yes, this beer smells like sawdust, Home Depot, and all the good memories you have from your days with a circular saw.

Taste: I almost grimaced at first, because it was so oaky and bitter, it really cuts your tongue. You wonder for a second if you just put varnish or turpentine in your mouth. The more you drink it, the more pronounced the oakiness becomes, and the beer cuts less.

This beer is one of the most unique I've ever come across. It is so oily, it really looks like a wine or some sort of wood stain. If you've ever wondered what wine afficionados mean when they note a wine as being "oaky", look no further. This beer is like the crazy uncle of the tamer wood product- maple syrup.

I paid $15.99 for a six pack. Yes, cheaper than a bar, but still a costly endeavor.

03-19-2008 04:08:48 | More by n1ckels
BusyNinja

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Keep in mind that I drank this beer with a medium head cold running its course. I was hoping to taste this beer, and I sure did, but it was not over powering. A delightful mix of hops and malt, with a strong, hop presence. A dark brown, almost ruby color. Not much head, but that might be deceiving, as it took the server a while to bring my brew. Not much evidence of lace in the beginning, but nice pattern as I enjoyed my pint. As far as aroma, I smelled hops, and again, not overpowering, but I can't penalize this brew because of my head cold. I hope this beer is still around when my head cold is gone.

12-08-2006 02:01:48 | More by BusyNinja
kevinhulit

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

piney wood aroma, subtle. vibrant rust color, vaguely cloudy with cream head. sweet roasty malt with hoppy bitterness. smooth creamy bite, with lasting hangtime. earthy organic feel. begins in the nose and finishes in the back of the throat, and pleasurable through out.

02-14-2007 02:23:35 | More by kevinhulit
nwshull

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: a dark brown, that is hazy hard to see through with a moderate head.

Smell: Smells of oak chips and hops.

Taste: The taste takes some getting used to, there is an upfront oak flavor which grows in your mouth followed by the taste of caramelized sugars and hops for a finish. At the beginning of the glass I was iffy on the beer, the more I drank the more I liked it. (now I don't want it to end)

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is quite nice, moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I could drink a couple of these in the night without getting tired of it, though its alcohol is over 7 so I wouldn't be driving home from the bar.

10-11-2007 22:06:21 | More by nwshull
drums4matt

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a six-pack from Peace Street - those dudes always come through on the good stuff! I poured this one into a little de 'Proef tulip. I'm really beginning to appreciate this glass for the way it handles complex volatile aromas like those present in Oaked Arrogant Bastard.

This is really nice looking brew. It's dirty garnet colored with some ruby highlights to it. Not as actively carbonated as other Stone offerings I've experienced but this guy does hold a nice looking, dense and creamy two-finger head that's somewhere between those off-white hues and a more creamy/cappuccino color. Head holds nice and tight but dissipates after a sip or two leaving significant layers of lacing.

Interesting aroma - that much is for certain. Smells...oddly sweet. Sweet and boozy right off the bat. There are some other factors at work here lending much complexity: The malt biscuityness and a touch of sweet vanilla blend alongside the spicy hop quality and similarly-spicy-yet-fruity alcohol notes. Further agitation stirs up the grassy quality from the hops but not a crazy hop bomb, in fact, to my surprise.

Yes, this is an entirely different beer than its un-oaked counterpart. The hop quality is still immediately present but just not knock-down drag-out hops-in-your-face hoppy. There is certainly an amount of tempering of the overall flavor by oak addition. The detectable sweetness in aroma carries over to the flavor as well - I guess I'd expect a little sweetness from a beer of this weight called a "Strong Ale" and it is certainly not deleterious. The sweet is balanced by the spice notes coming from any number of sources here. I suppose I'm inclined to believe there is oak at work as I've tasted this beer un-oaked and it doesn't carry the tempered spicyness but rather allows the hop presence through with great fortitude. Some balance from muted malt flavors comes into play as the beer warms a bit; all gives way to a palate-coatingly sweet, grassy-hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is a little undercarbonated for such a full-bodied beer. There is a definite sensation of dryness and palpable alcohol on the palate. Overall drinkability is somewhat affected by the warming of this beer as the dryness can REALLY take hold at higher-than-fridge temperatures.

Overall, a good offering - no doubt about it. This is a beer created to be savored by and entice the palates of beer advocates and at $16.99 (!!!) a sixer only real beer nerds will go for it, anyway. Outside of such a context this beer almost doesn't make sense.

06-03-2009 16:58:16 | More by drums4matt
GitcheGumee

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance: The beer pours a very deep amber color with plenty of thick white head. The head lasted throughout most of the life of the beer. Looks great.

Smell: There are prominent malty scents going on with this beer. I do sense the woody oak too. The hops are in the scent but nothing too prominent.

Taste: This beer hits you with sweet malt flavors right off the bat. The oak aged factor is definitely noticeable, and I think I really like it. Later on the hops bitterness really comes through. I feel like I'm tasting some alcohol, but it really doesn't have that high of a ABV rating.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and sticky. Nothing wrong with that but it does affect the drinkability.

Drinkability: Because of the strong malt and sweetness of this beer, it seems to be a little strong. I could drink a couple of these maximum.

01-17-2010 23:48:48 | More by GitcheGumee
ccampo

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 20oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Dark brown / amber with a pretty thick head that turns into an awesome lace. Looks about as badass as its bottle.

S - Woody and fruity. I smell passion fruit or grapefruit, along with some pine maybe? The aroma is intense, and one of the best parts of this brew.

T - Awesome. A hint of booze makes its way through, which adds to the beer significantly. I taste fruit and wood mostly. Strong malts for that bread aftertaste, and super strong hops. This baby is BITTER, which is just the way I like it!

M - Silky smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation. Dry finish. Like I said, this brew is bitter, and it sticks around. Have you ever eaten 80% cocoa dark chocolate? Think about how that made your mouth feel, and apply it to this beer.

D - Pretty easy to drink, but I wouldn't want more than one over the course of a night. Did I mention it tastes delicious?

This is one of my favorite beers ever. It is fantastic. The non-oaked version is also fantastic. DEFINITELY recommended, but you have to like a strong beer which is damn bitter. Otherwise, this isn't the beer for you.

12-07-2010 23:43:20 | More by ccampo
dankman38

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Most of the times I’ve had this it has been very fresh, plenty of citrus and bitter in the finish that keeps you coming back for more. I like this beer. If you like Arrogant Bastard but can’t handle the bitterness try this. I feel that this really is the crowning achievement of Stone Brewing.

10-22-2007 02:08:45 | More by dankman38
SusurusIgnoramus

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Dark, reddish and cloudy. Looks a slight bit thick coming out of the bottle. About a finger's worth of creamy off white head. Retention is lower than I expected, but plenty of lacing. I smell mostly caramel and alcohol. A little bit of oak but I'm not sure if that's placebo effect.

I wonder if maybe this has gone bad. It HAS been sitting in the back of my fridge for at least a few months. I bought a six pack a while back and kept one to review, but only got around to it now. Carbonation is a lot less than I remember, but that may be due to poor memory. I don't taste the oak at all. Alcohol warmth and a good bit of bitterness. I taste slight caramel, but I have to really concentrate to find it. Cloves come through as well.

On second thought, I don't think it has gone bad, I just think it has been a long time since I've had it or regular Bastard. Moderate thickness. Carbonation doesn't come through well unless I hold it in my mouth. I could have a couple, but it's not what I would choose to drink often. I'm a little disappointed. It's not as good as I remember, and for the price, I would buy this very sparingly.

I feel bad not giving this beer a higher rating. Stone has consistently been one of my favorites, but I think my tastes are leaning toward different styles now.

08-22-2008 21:27:04 | More by SusurusIgnoramus
deaconsmith

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

A.-in a thick glass mug it had a very good head, a little ove a inch thick with nice retention and good lacing. it is a deep rich amber color..almost cherry sunburst in the light..very little settlement

S.-very aromatic,has a distinct oaky smell and the hops are well defined. well balanced with the malt

T.-like the smell the taste is very simular with a medium nutty and a hint of fruit aftertaste..very tastey overall

M.-@ 41* It has a playfull crisp mouthfeel. lots of bubblesand smooth going down the throat.

D.- it is one to take slower..prety good drinkability but very rich and slightly thick.

there is a definate signature taste. I think it is a very well crafted brew..i would recomend it

09-27-2008 21:14:46 | More by deaconsmith
BeelzeBrew

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into a standard beer mug, this beer is a dark amber, cloudy copper color..almost like an old copper penny with some dirt on it..although I must add, if this beer were an old penny, it would surely be the most delicious coin I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

When you smell this beer, you think you know what to expect in the taste....the woody oak, bitter hops and fantastic sweetness are all well accounted for by the nose...but when the taste buds indulge themselves, the mouth could easily brag to the nose about what it's missing!

The taste? hops hops hops! and the oak aging has seeped its way into this beer for sure. This, along with certain fruits make the immediate taste a very bitter one... a bitterness that lingers pleasantly for a long, long time. Beyond the bitterness, it's pure complexity and balance that give this such a world class taste. Almost like a fine wine, grapes and grapefruit are apparent, and the alcohol is well hidden. If you don't like a bitter beer, you might want to pass this one up...but you'll be missing out on a fantastic brew. Easily one of my favorite beers I've ever tasted.

The mouthfeel is creamy and full bodied! despite the high alcohol, it's very drinkable....how drinkable? if I had more i'd be drinking it all night.

10-04-2009 06:19:07 | More by BeelzeBrew
shir0043

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

(12 oz bottles) I drank this beer in my hotel room on a recent visit to San Jose. I bought the beer and many others to ship home but I couldn't help trying this one the night I purchased it. Used the water glass in the hotel room.

Poored a nice clear amber/brown color similar to root beer with light tan head that dissipated early. Nice lacing on the glass.

Smell is sweet caramel malts, floral hops, and oak. Very well balanced smell.

Taste has a nice hop bitterness that balances the sweetness very well. I also pick up the oak and carmel in the middle before the citrus and piney hops comes back at the end.

Great carbonation level and mouthfeel makes this very drinkable but not really a session beer. Perfect for a night in the hotel room.

02-15-2011 06:14:12 | More by shir0043
LuDookie

2.98/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured this from the bottle into a mug.

Looked and smelled good, dark.

First taste was bitterness, and water. I hate when I can pick up on the water in a beer. Besides that it did have a decent body, and I appreciate dark beers, but I have just never been able to appreciate any of the Arrogant Bastard brews.

Mouthfeel was pretty carbonated and bitter. If you like bitter, you will like this one, but not the most bitter I've had.

Overall, I finished it. That's about it.

02-12-2013 22:52:54 | More by LuDookie
RolandoHH

Mexico

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Beautiful dark, reddish brown color, with an inch-thick beige head with decent retention. Minimal lacing.

S - Toasted malts and spicy hops mix in an appropriately oaky character. Alcohol present in the aroma.

T - Toasted grains with citrus and spice notes that leaves a woody aftertaste. The oak brings things together nicely. Dry, thanks to the mix of oak and hops, with an alcohol kick.

M - Fairly smooth, all things considered.

O - Not all that different from the original Arrogant Bastard Ale, but still a welcome development with something to offer.

10-22-2013 05:07:49 | More by RolandoHH
jopl

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Starts with a finger of brown head that slowly receders to a ring around the glass. Beautiful lacing surrounds the glass as you drink it. The beer itself is a cloudy ruby red.

Smell: The initial smell is of strong hops and malts. A oaked smell comes through the strong aroma. Could be a bit stronger in smell though.

Taste: There is a very strong complex taste to this beer that only gets better as you drink it. Besides the obvious strong malts and hops, the oak taste is present but not overwhelming. Overall, great but powerful taste.

Mouthfeel: This is hands down the best mouthfeel I'd gotten from a beer so far. It's got great carbonation and just a silky smooth finish that makes you want to drink more.

Drinkability: When I first started drinking this, I didn't think I would be able to drink more then one but the more I drink of this, the more I think I could drink a couple.

This is overall just a great beer. I can't wait to buy some more and keep it in my fridge.

12-28-2006 04:40:23 | More by jopl
chimney

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

A: nice dark red body with a light tan red head. deffinently looks "oaked"

S: richer version of the arrogant bastard blend of sharp hops. just a subtle hint of citrus.

T: the oaked adds a nice blended smoothness to the beer over the regular arrogant bastard with a slight "taste" of age. light malt with the nice sharp (but smoothed) sharp hop bite. when cold there is a slight "hollowness" that closes as it gradually warms.

M: surprisingly smooth and creamy and nicely refreshing for such an aggressive beer. leaves a nice tingle in the mouth.

08-25-2007 23:11:49 | More by chimney
cwachtel

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

I'm a big fan of Arrogant Bastard...but they were out of it so I figured I would try Oaked. I didn't find it much different than the Bastard...but that's not a bad thing!

The head was of the off white two finger variety which lasted quite awhile and then laced very nicely. Nice balance of hops and malt in the aroma. Decent mouthfeel...a little thin but not bad by any means. Strong malt flavor with a nice balance of bitterness. Not a stong hop flavor or aroma but a nice finish. Everything an ale should be.

This is an enjoyable beer. Not much different from the regular Arrogant Bastard but I'll take what I can get here in Connecticut!

11-03-2007 20:53:00 | More by cwachtel
mmedina210

2.58/5  rDev -38.7%

Bought a sixer a while back and had a few with a fellow BA.

Looks like a typical Stone brew (great)

With the first whiff I was turned off. Way too much of an oak/pine presence.

The taste was the same as the smell. It tastes like you watered a X-mas tree with Arrogant Bastard and drank the end product. Reminds me of tanqueray. Hated the taste. Way too much Pine/Oak

Mouthfeel wasn't bad at all, but after the first few sips, I just gulped it down.

Not drinkable at all in my opinion.

Def. not close to one of the worst beers you can find, but I would say skip it and go for a regular Arrogant Bastard Ale, which is Superb.

02-04-2009 06:21:01 | More by mmedina210
Shaon94

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

There are a ton of reviews on how it looks and tastes so here are some other things to keep in mind.

Don't look at the beer as you drink it. It is going to throttle your taste buds and throat as it is, no need to provoke it by trying to stare it down. Remember your not worthy and give the beer the respect it deserves and you will not have any problems. I know some of you laugh, but seriously I think this beer goes down so much better when you are not "thinking" about it and just savoring it.

This is not a beer you break out every day. I save it for a particularly hard week. On Friday I will take a bottle pour it and savor it while relaxing. This is not a work week kind of beer IMO.

This is also not a chugging beer, savor every moment (and at almost 3 bucks a bottle you better savor it)

Overall this is one of my all time favorite beers, though for the money, drinking it ALL the time will get expensive.

08-18-2010 15:17:09 | More by Shaon94
MLucky

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

This is just badass. No other way to put it.

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass. Deep amber body, persistent quarter inch of tan foam, lots of lacing.

Nose is lots of deep toasty malt, some bready yeast scent, hops surprisingly recessed but present.

Taste is just exceptional. Very deep and malty with a nice hop aftertaste, surprisingly little alcohol flavor for a 7.2% beer, you kind of have to be looking for it to notice.

Drinkability... well, this is a strong ale to sit with and savor, one that will sit in the glass and wait for you without going flat or stale. Smoother than regular AB.

What can one say? Stone continues to impress. One of the best things I've had in months.

10-16-2010 05:28:11 | More by MLucky
Rick187

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth snifter.

Mahogany, reddish with a white finger head and some lacing.

Hops, citrus and a faint hint of oak.

Caramel, hops but not quite as hop heavy as i'm used to from stone, then oak as well.

Medium body with good carbination. Very good mouth feel.

Seems very drinkable to me. The hops aren't overbearing and goes down very easily.

01-28-2011 00:28:06 | More by Rick187
AdamF

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Wow! This is easily the best beer I've tasted so far this year.

It's beautifully balanced with a smooth, caramely sweet taste up front and a hoppy finish with a bit -- but not too much -- of bitterness.

Stone Ruination is one of the beers that really drew me into craft brewing movement last year. But I like Oaked Arrogant Bastard more. It's not as bitter as Ruination and more drinkable.

You definitely get what you pay for with Oaked -- it's well worth the price.

01-28-2011 07:44:50 | More by AdamF
jthomp000

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Was skeptical at first, not of the beer, but the fact that I stumbled on to this one in the "scratch and dent" corner of my new favorite beer distributor. A quick google search showed that the product date stamped on the side of the case, I should be "within spec" for the lack of a better term.

Appearance - Poured a dark amber/copper color (almost brown) with a tan head.

Smell - Smells sweet like carmel

Taste - Tastes of wood and charcoal

Mouthfeel - light to medium bodied with little carbonation

Overall - Very glad I took a "chance" on this one; I do not regret it. Have never had the regular Arrogant Bastard, but it is on my "to-do" list for sure!

04-18-2011 22:29:18 | More by jthomp000
ZachStone625

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice, reddish-brown color with a half-inch sweet head on top in my chilled glass mug. Got a lot of small bottles at the BevMo here in Silverdale and had a few of these with my dad.

This is a lot like the base Arrogant Bastard, with intense malty and roasted fronts with a subtle dried fruit flavor followed by a kick in the pants floral hop and bitter finish, but with a nice sweetness and rounded edge to it made obvious by the oak aging. You can definitely tell the difference between this and the regular Arrogant Bastard - if you liked the Bastard in its glory but want something a bit more drinkable yet with the same complexity, go for this. It's the same but with the edge off, and an added woody sweetness to make it more like Bastard Oaked Beer Candy.

As I reviewed the Bastard, I would say Intense, or Aggressive, but I'm also adding another couple of words: Drinkable. Approachable. Same dog, with less bite. Give it a try and enjoy, you'd be hard pressed to not like this one.

08-12-2012 05:19:49 | More by ZachStone625
Ry_Swell_Guy

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Similar too it's brother the Arrogant Bastard, the Oak aged version is very good, adding a bit of a twist to our already "Hoprific" friend. The smell is great, the taste is better! respectable ABV and, as always a very cool bottle! If you like Stone beers, give this one a try.

07-05-2013 19:17:10 | More by Ry_Swell_Guy
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.