Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,844 | Hads: 5,090
4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours a gorgeous dark reddish brown. It maintained a nice off white head

S - Nice hint of vanilla from oak chips, followed by almost a hoppy citrus and pine, malts. Very nice

T - Time and oak did this wonders. Loving the vanilla/oak from the barrell chips. I was surprised by the smokiness of it.

M - Very smooth, there's a nice crispness from the alcohol, which is very well balanced.

D - I found this to be very drinkable. The smokiness of it started off as a problem but as it warmed, really blended well with everything else.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

I'm a big fan of the original Arrogant Bastard. This one is excellent too, but I think I like the original better. This one pours nicely, and the deep red color is beautiful. The oaky flavor is lovely, but the original AB is really special. The added oak flavor is a nice twist, but not needed.

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Pours a nice dark, but clear, ruby red, with bubbles visible. Color reminds me almost of a port wine or fortified wine. Looks very appealing.

S: Strong smell of hops, but also some sweetness and a bit of a caramel aroma. The hops are the strongest smell, but some complexity in the aroma.

T: Very strong hops and bitterness powers this one from start to finish. Tastes a lot like an IPA. The oak really only comes in at the end, but is a nice touch. The bitterness is really what lingers here, though.

M: Good mouthfeel. Smooth, with some tingle from the carbonation.

O: This is a nice beer, though one has to really enjoy IPA-type hoppiness and bitterness to like it. The oak adds some complexity to the taste. I have not tried the non-Oaked version of this beer, so I don't know how they compare, but this one is pretty good.

2.59/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This one has a nice amber color with an ivory head that does hang around.

I do not get the fruity smell that others describe, but there us a hoppy aroma to the beer. The mouth feel is smooth, it is not under or over carbonated.

The taste is quite hoppy. If this is your thing, then you will love this beer Unfortunately, I am not fan of hoppy beers - this one reminds me more of an IPA.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A wickedly bitter Oaked IPA. You have to be ready for it. Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes it's just overwhelmingly bitter, but that's not its fault. It is what it is, you just have to be ready. It compares favorably with DFH Burton Baton, both hoppy Oaked Ales. I find the Burton to be a little sweeter and maltier with even better mouth feel. But the Burton is 10% ABV and boozier. Both are great, and both are currently in my fridge. I've taken a few aside and aged them both. The Burton definitely ages better, in fact, I would say the Arrogant Bastard did not age well. Get it fresh and enjoy it for what it is, a no apology Oaked hop bomb. I very much prefer Oaked Arrogant Bastard to its non-Oaked version.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into the Stone AB pint glass.

A- Pours a copper color with reddish tints and a faint redness accompanies the impressive off-white three finger head. As the head dissipates, albeit nice and slowly, there is a quality lacing sticking to the sides of the glass.

S- This offers a similar balance of the bouquet of piney hops and roasty, toasty malt backbone as the original with a very faint hint of smoked wood. I like the unique twist to this one.

T- Hops up front, with a timely counter attack of malt to round it out. The oak/wood presence is definitely more prevalent in the flavor than it was in the nose. This one has more of a smoky finish than the original, and honestly, it's hard to say if that is better or worse. I guess it's just different. They are both pretty stinking tasty.

M- Medium bodied, slightly astringent with a puckering in the back. Not off-putting, just attention-getting.

D- Like the original AB, this is a very assertive beer with a "Thank you sir, can I please have another?" conundrum of palette punishment being overcome by the primal urge for another. Great beer, but the one area I found it to be inferior to the original is with it's drinkability. There is a lingering smoke to this one that is very interesting and tasty (would undoubtedly pair wonderfully with food) but is a little more to handle than the AB.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Purchased at the North Coast Co-Op, Eureka, CA.

A - Poured into a New Belgium snifter with a thick, tightly beaded head. Color was a nice walnut brown.

S - The oak is definately present, but has a bit of a sour smell to it. I don't know enough about oak and what it imparts to tell if this is a flaw or not. Aging is present.

T - I detect German Carafa in this brew, but don't know if that is actually an ingredient. The malt has a moderate roasted flavor. Hop bitterness is buried in the roasted flavor.

M - Big aged mouthfeel with a lot of warmth at the end.

D - Not a quaffer. Its good and holds its own, but I wouldn't have more than two in a session. If that sour smell went away it would be more drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Dark brown/red with bright highlights. Thin white head. Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

S- Hops, grass, some carmels, slight hint of oak.

T- Hops up front. Taste leads to some faint citrus, fruity notes, carmels, a little grass, and the perfect taste of oak. The oak flavor really enhances as the beer warms.

M- Oily in the mouth. Give my tongue a nice, sharp bitter feel.

D- Very drinkable. Id have no problem putting a few of these down.

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

I must say that i have noting to complain about when it comes to the beer itself. This is an excellent ale in my taste. Better then this you cant find. The mouthfeel and the taste is really outstanding compared to the nice "non-oaked" version. The darkness is not overwhelming for my taste and the smell is just outstanding.

Even the label looks good! http://www.arrogantbastard.com/oaked/images/OAKEDpic.jpg

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Beautiful dark, reddish brown color, with an inch-thick beige head with decent retention. Minimal lacing.

S - Toasted malts and spicy hops mix in an appropriately oaky character. Alcohol present in the aroma.

T - Toasted grains with citrus and spice notes that leaves a woody aftertaste. The oak brings things together nicely. Dry, thanks to the mix of oak and hops, with an alcohol kick.

M - Fairly smooth, all things considered.

O - Not all that different from the original Arrogant Bastard Ale, but still a welcome development with something to offer.

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a wide mouth snifter

A - Pours a nice dark brown/ amber color with a half inch of really light tan head which it retained the whole time. Light carbonation, nice lacing all the was down

S - hoppy, malty, and oak and the end, very satisfying smell

T - Malt, then hops, and leaves the mouth full of that great oak flavor which hangs around for a while.

M - Sat on the tounge for plenty of time, i felt real light carbonation, nice overall feel

O - A great brew to really get everything you can out of an American strong ale, like others I would be interested in trying one right off the line fresh

2.1/5  rDev -49.9%

This ale was quite a disappointment. My friend said this was his favorite beer so I had to try it. I had the double bastard ale and was blown away by the alcohol, I had this one and was just blown away by the nasty overall taste. The finish was a serious woody chemical taste akin to Varathane on hard rock maple.

the details

A- Pours dark amber with 1/2 finger head. semi cloudy

S- Very very malty, smooth yet very strong chemical smell

T- Strong hop on the front end

M- medium carbonation

D- Too strong on the back end, way too much oaky taste. Not sure this flavor belongs in beer.

I have a lot of respect for what Arrogant Bastard is trying to accomplish with their aggressive brand of beers but this is a bit over the top. But then again, maybe that's the whole point.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Dark brown-reddish appearance with an off-white head. Decent retention with exceptional lacing.

Smells of oak, herbs, and a bit of citrus. Taste is first a bit piney from the hops, followed by citrus and a bit of mint, which finishes with a malty body and a clean oak flavor.

The oak adds a higher level of smoothness to this brew and increases its drinkability. Definitely one of my go to beers.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Curse Stone and their fickle distribution scheming! As the last dregs of their beer drain down our parching Canadian throats, apparently not to be replenished in the foreseeable future, I'm left to ruefully sip my last OAB and type this ode to its brilliance.

It's a clear brew, the colour of a fresh conker-shell. It smells a bit weird: some molasses, greenery, a herbal tang that is in no way reflected in the flavour, but oh well.

The strength of this beer is the way it grows in your mouth and slugs you with three waves of flavour: a sweet acidity, followed by a resoundingly warm malt explosion that takes over your whole mouth, then as it subsides, a fine bitterness lurking at the back of your tongue. The whole effect is tied together with smoke.

I could glug it for hours but it'd kick my arse and, well, there isn't any left anyway.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Deep brown with a 1/2" tan head with lacing

S - Malts, caramel, and oak

T - Sweet up front with fruits and caramel, hop bitterness and the oak flavor at the end. Very nice.

M - Medium-bodied and well carbonated. A bit sticky too.

D - This is a phenomenal beer from Stone. I'm impressed with just about everything they put out and this is no exception. It seems like I taste something new with every sip. Recommended.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

355mL bottle into snifter
A - Pours a dark amber with a finger of cream-coloured head.
S - Primarily sweet oakyness with a little hops citrus below it.
T - The oak wood flavours are very obvious up front and combine with the hops to form a piney flavour. On the finish, they separate more definitely into grapefruit and oak. Tastes much maltier than normal Arrogant Bastard, but that may just be the oak.
M - Moderate body with light carbonation and a medium finish.
O - I prefer the non-oaked Arrogant Bastard, but the oaked variant is still a good beer. The combination of the rich oak flavours and the citrusy hops strikes me as a bit unusual, but still quite good. Would get again.

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%

A NOTE: Price is factored in here. $20 before tax on a six pack, $60 on a case. I am trying to judge by style standards, but you should be aware of what this costs.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Corsedonk Christmas Chalice.

Appearance: A very solid ruby, lightening toward the edges in the light. Head is noticeable, but not overall important to the final appearance. The lacing really defines appearance here, and there is a beautiful lace down the side of the glass.

Smell: It's a strong ale, aged in oak. I don't know what to say. The scent is there, it isn't mindblowing and it isn't terrible. It's average.

Taste: To me, this is why you buy this (expensive) level of beer. And it totally fulfills. I had a bottle 2 years ago and thought it was the best beer I ever had or ever would. Now, it is still very good, very strong and assertive, but the "arrogance" has certainly been toned down when expectations are adjusted to a wider scope of available beer. Still delicious, and still worth the money for the taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice, lingering oak. Otherwise pretty standard, for better or for worse, strong ale feel. Honestly, I have some trouble separating this from "dark" strong ales and the original Belgian-styles, so I cannot say it has something great going. The above average is for the nice oak presence.

Overall: A solid beer that costs too much. If you can buy it, buy it. If you could get another strong ale, or even a nice barley or aged DIPA, for a lesser price, try that instead.

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours into a pint with a 1- finger head that is slowly dissipating with each sip, while leaving a nice lacing. The color is very dark ruby/copper.

Ive never smelled a beer like this; strong, but mellow. I can almost smell how it tastes;

smoky, chewy, not as viscous as I expected (not a bad thing), nor as alcoholic. Heavy malts, hops. Might be a little biased based on the Sierra Nevada Celebration I just finished.

Very foamy mouthfeel, so foamy it almost turns into a cream as I "swish" it around my mouth. Very drinkable and I would have to recommend it.

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured a reddish brown with a lingering, lacing head. Nose is high on hops with an orangey citrus and spicy herbal aroma with some undertones of wood and sweetness. Aroma is mirrored in the taste with a bold grapefruit and piney hop presence. A good amount of hop bitterness is present as well. Sweet malt tones balance the beer followed by a nice amount of oak on the finish.

Oak aging adds complexity and balance outshining the original Bastard.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Notes: poured from 12 oz. bottle to snifter. Would probably pair beautifully with BBQ or smoked wings.

A: hazy, deep amber color with a medium tan head that left solid rings of lace.

S: sweet malty nose followed by hints of cherry, alcohol, wood, spice, and vanilla; a lot going on in there.

T: citrusy, grapefruit hops are perfectly balanced by solid but not overly sweet malt. The alcohol in the smell is almost nonexistent in the flavor. Once the hops dissipate, the smoky wood covers the palate and sticks around.

M: this lightly carbonated brew is slightly grainy and really lingers in the mouth, making it a real "stick to your ribs" kind of beer.

D: a perfectly balanced, flavorful brew that could easily be enjoyed in multiples without knocking you out.

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The oak barreling mellows out the malt flavor aftertaste yet leaves a slight hoppy flavor. Has a reddish caramel color and lovely smell. Not too hoppy and not too malty but will shock the uninitiated to strong ales from Stone. Arrogancy at its best!

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

I pored this from a 12 oz. bottle into a sole cup. Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorites so I was ready to try this new twist.

A- Nice tan head with fine bobbles. dark copper in color.

S- Malt with some coffee and carmal

T- Dark malt and hopps a little oak that dryed it out and left a taste that lasted on the tounge

M- Good and firm

D- A nice change but one is enough

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

I had this for the first time on tap at Stone Brewery for their Hoppy Fathers Day buffet... and ... WOW. I loved the oak flavor. It was very strong, and obviously the primary flavor of this beer. This coupled with the fantastic BBQ I was eating... well, they just went hand in hand.

All in all, I rated it high because how it accompanied my meal, it was faaan-tastic! I don't know if I would have loved it as much on its own... but my next BBQ, some Oaked Bastard is what I will be serving.

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Holy crap I just had this on tap at Mahar's in Albany. 20 ounces of amazing outstanding incredible beer, 20-25 minutes later I couldn't even think of what could possibly come next, my mind was blown at the complexity of this beer.

A- a very dark brown-red colour with an off white head that stays the entire way down, beautiful to look at.

Smell- Almost smells like a fine scotch thanks to the oak aging. I spent half my time smelling this beer, it's simply too much

Taste- I tried so hard to pick this beer apart, but it simply overwhelmed my taste buds, this beer is so complex there's too much for me to comprehend.

mouthfeel- most Stone brews have that same healthy mouthfeel, not too thin and not thick to where it makes you gag like some beers can do.

drinkability- as much as i really enjoyed this beer, I think it would be impossible for me to have more than one a night or even a week perhaps. After tonight and the other beers I tried, my mouth needs a while to recover. This beer is amazing and if you have the chance to get your hands on it, GO FOR IT, it takes an awesome thing and makes it completely different. GO STONE!

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a beautiful, clear, ruby red. Plenty of rocky head retains well and laces perfectly after each sip. This is awesome to look at.

S- Oak with just a hint of coconut rum.

T- Great malt character upfront that finishes with the oak and just a subtle hint of coconut that I mentioned in the nose. The 7.2% ABV is hidden quite well with some flavor/bitterning hops offering an even taste balance.

M- Medium to full bodied but not heavy in the least. It does not feel like syrup. I think this beer is perfectly carbonated, too.

D- American Strong Ale, baby! This is one of those beers that is just fun to drink. The flavor profile is interesting, the taste is great, and the feel is perfect. Pour me another, please!

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.