Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,841 | Hads: 5,070
4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured a reddish brown with a lingering, lacing head. Nose is high on hops with an orangey citrus and spicy herbal aroma with some undertones of wood and sweetness. Aroma is mirrored in the taste with a bold grapefruit and piney hop presence. A good amount of hop bitterness is present as well. Sweet malt tones balance the beer followed by a nice amount of oak on the finish.

Oak aging adds complexity and balance outshining the original Bastard. (448 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Notes: poured from 12 oz. bottle to snifter. Would probably pair beautifully with BBQ or smoked wings.

A: hazy, deep amber color with a medium tan head that left solid rings of lace.

S: sweet malty nose followed by hints of cherry, alcohol, wood, spice, and vanilla; a lot going on in there.

T: citrusy, grapefruit hops are perfectly balanced by solid but not overly sweet malt. The alcohol in the smell is almost nonexistent in the flavor. Once the hops dissipate, the smoky wood covers the palate and sticks around.

M: this lightly carbonated brew is slightly grainy and really lingers in the mouth, making it a real "stick to your ribs" kind of beer.

D: a perfectly balanced, flavorful brew that could easily be enjoyed in multiples without knocking you out. (766 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The oak barreling mellows out the malt flavor aftertaste yet leaves a slight hoppy flavor. Has a reddish caramel color and lovely smell. Not too hoppy and not too malty but will shock the uninitiated to strong ales from Stone. Arrogancy at its best! (252 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

I pored this from a 12 oz. bottle into a sole cup. Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorites so I was ready to try this new twist.

A- Nice tan head with fine bobbles. dark copper in color.

S- Malt with some coffee and carmal

T- Dark malt and hopps a little oak that dryed it out and left a taste that lasted on the tounge

M- Good and firm

D- A nice change but one is enough (377 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

I had this for the first time on tap at Stone Brewery for their Hoppy Fathers Day buffet... and ... WOW. I loved the oak flavor. It was very strong, and obviously the primary flavor of this beer. This coupled with the fantastic BBQ I was eating... well, they just went hand in hand.

All in all, I rated it high because how it accompanied my meal, it was faaan-tastic! I don't know if I would have loved it as much on its own... but my next BBQ, some Oaked Bastard is what I will be serving. (491 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Holy crap I just had this on tap at Mahar's in Albany. 20 ounces of amazing outstanding incredible beer, 20-25 minutes later I couldn't even think of what could possibly come next, my mind was blown at the complexity of this beer.

A- a very dark brown-red colour with an off white head that stays the entire way down, beautiful to look at.

Smell- Almost smells like a fine scotch thanks to the oak aging. I spent half my time smelling this beer, it's simply too much

Taste- I tried so hard to pick this beer apart, but it simply overwhelmed my taste buds, this beer is so complex there's too much for me to comprehend.

mouthfeel- most Stone brews have that same healthy mouthfeel, not too thin and not thick to where it makes you gag like some beers can do.

drinkability- as much as i really enjoyed this beer, I think it would be impossible for me to have more than one a night or even a week perhaps. After tonight and the other beers I tried, my mouth needs a while to recover. This beer is amazing and if you have the chance to get your hands on it, GO FOR IT, it takes an awesome thing and makes it completely different. GO STONE! (1,141 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a beautiful, clear, ruby red. Plenty of rocky head retains well and laces perfectly after each sip. This is awesome to look at.

S- Oak with just a hint of coconut rum.

T- Great malt character upfront that finishes with the oak and just a subtle hint of coconut that I mentioned in the nose. The 7.2% ABV is hidden quite well with some flavor/bitterning hops offering an even taste balance.

M- Medium to full bodied but not heavy in the least. It does not feel like syrup. I think this beer is perfectly carbonated, too.

D- American Strong Ale, baby! This is one of those beers that is just fun to drink. The flavor profile is interesting, the taste is great, and the feel is perfect. Pour me another, please! (722 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

creamy off white head, check. lovely amber hues and shades of reddish brown, check. first sniff loaded with hops, only lasting a fleeting moment until the other aromas of vanilla and maple syrup take over. this i assume must be from the oak aging, which also adds quite a nice bit of depth and complexity to the taste. sweet and savory flavors on the first sip are in juxtapose with a crushing lingering bitterness that creeps up quickly to balance out the alcohol and nutty profile of the malts. my bottle was one month past the drink y date and still very nice. would eventually like to try a fresh bottle to compare. this handles like a real beer. its solid, fun, and ripping with good qualities. (699 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

i like it. very smooth. dark. nice faint citrus taste, alcohol is pretty hidden. cant really find the oaked flavor though but that doesnt take anything away. this is yet another stone brew that goes straight to the top of my list.not the best but up there pretty close. if you like the original bastard you will like this (321 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a freshness date into a stemless red wine glass. Purchased at Tops Liquor in Tempe, AZ for $2.49. Left yeast sediment in the bottle.

A - Poured light brown with a nice rocky head and good lacing. Color was light brown and nearly nearly opaque.

Big hoppy and grapefruit and wood smell. Oak comes through. Minty flavor. Full bodied, smooth on the tongue. Aftertaste is earthy and lasts forever. Really liked this. (444 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter.

A:
Pours as blood red as a beer could possibly be. The fluffy two finger off-white head seems like it could stick around for days. Beautiful lacing. This is an impeccable looking brew.

S:
A malty caramel backbone. Woody (oak) and slightly earthy (tobacco) tones. Maybe a mint or menthol type sweetness. Some vanilla.

T:
This is just fantastic and the depth is unreal. Oily hops, oak, caramelized sugar, and nice pine bite at the finish. This beer rivals a lot of heavy hitters in the "lingering" category.

M:
A heavy beer that leaves a dry finish. I'm okay with the carbonation. I think any more would take away from this beer.

O:
A fantastic looking beer with an awesome head that reminds of a hefeweizen. Stone's Oaked Arrogant Bastard is worthy of it's high rating on this site. This beer is angry, and I'm sure Stone would relish the hell out of that statement.

Serving type: bottle (935 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: A middle-brown, somewhere around Diet Coke, perhaps. It's a very dark amber in hue and absolutley beautiful.

Smell: I really don't know where to go. It's bitter, but at the same time sweet, sweeter than regular AB.

Taste: It's bitter, but at the same time sweet. This Oak-aged is even sweeter than regular AB, but not by much.

Mouthfeel: Not that thick, but thicker than most ales.

Drinkability: Well, I'm working on a 3L bottle as we speak. Because once it warms its flavor significantly betters, I would rate this brew as quite drinkable; however, in order to savor as much of the beer's flavor as possible, I would suggest getting some friends to help you out when dealing with a large quanitity of this ale, such as the 3L bottle. Regardless, it's damned tasty! (789 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Wow. I've been waiting a long time to drink this and I finally am able to get a bottle.
Appearance is like a regular AB, which is not a bad thing at all.
Smell is very malty with a kind a piney hoppiness to it along with a hint of oak.
Taste is very good. Like an AB, but the little bit of oak adds a bit of complexity.
Mouthfeel wasnt what I expected. Its not too carbonated, but it also seems kinda creamy.
This is one of the best beers I've ever had. (457 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

A- Nice amber color with a thin white head..little lacing with head maintaining throughout

S- Decent roasted malt smell with hints of oak..little hop aroma present

T- Nice roasted/oaky taste with relatively low bitterness

M- Complex and pretty heavy body

D- Nice beer to sip on, goes down smoothly, definitely not a session beer. (333 characters)

Wow, this is good. I bought a 6 pack of this after already trying regular AB many times. I was blown away. Everything I liked about AB plus piney and vanilla notes that made me never want to stop drinking this stuff. The mouthfeel and especially drinkability are off the charts for me. Beautiful dark amber color, too. If oak-aging worked this well for every beer, the world would be a better place. (399 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13.6%

A large off-white head. Very creamy with excellent lacing. The overall appearance is quite intimidating, a murk dark brown/red. The aroma is great, a sweet hoppy mollasses with a light doughy scent. The palate on this beer took me off guard, I was expecting a kick your ass alcohol taste, but instead I got a medium body with very soft carbonation. The flavor was very sweet and the alcoholic finish didn't last 2 days like the Ruination IPA did. (446 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15%

A-Dark amber color with an off white head of foam, lacing throughout the drink

S-hops and floral smell is prominent

T-strong citrus and hop taste and you can taste the difference that the oak aging makes over the normal bastard.

M-Lightly carbonated with bit of an alcohol bite at the end of the drink

D-nice smooth drink with a decent ABV. This beer benefits from the aging process. Obviously not a party beer but goes well with dinner or a night in with friends (468 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a SA Perfect Pint glass,this beer is a deep copper color with a medium off white cascading head. This brew looks very good. The aroma is sweet with notes of plums and dark fruits,caramel,spices,and of course wood,with a hint of alcohol. The barrel aging is immediately obvious with oak and woodiness slowly giving way to bitter hoppiness. The mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is just about right,with the alcohol taste just barely present. The additional oak aging adds a new layer of complexity over regular Arrogant Bastard. The bitter character of this beer is the perfect foil to the delicious sweetness in the smell.  (663 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

A good looking pour. A little less dark than orig AB to me, dark ruby with a thick one finger head that sticks around.

Smells like pure goodness. Perfect balance between hops and malt with a bit of vanilla.

Hops hit good and hard with carmal and pine following. The vanilla comes through, guess thats what I'm associating the oak with.

Feels like this should be around all year. But if that was the case how often would I have an AB and would I really appreciate the oak?

Going to try my hardest to age a few but one, two, three, or four of these when needed is recomended. Keep in mind these are baby 12oz. Drinkability depends on how many you invested in. (669 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

I had this beer out of a bottle into a heavy glass mug

S: The smell is not overwhelming. You can definitely smell that distinct hop smell, as well as a caramel smell.

A: It is a dark, almost chestnut color. The head was billowing and thick

T: The taste is very complex. You get that hoppy taste, as well as a roasted taste. You also get a hint of caramel. It has a powerful aftertaste, bitter but very good.

M: The beer was mild on my palate, not too overwhelming, it was light and not too strong of a carbonation. It didn't much of a chewy feel, but left the bitter aftertaste.

Overall, this is a very good beer. I would recommend this beer and I will defintely get it again (681 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: This beer poured and beautiful dark brown with an orange/reddish brilliant hue. The head was fantastic when pouring from the bottle. Head really stuck to the inside of the glass leaving gorgeous lacing. Very impressive!

Taste: You can really taste the combination of hops right away. This really compliments the roasty dark malts flavor. After a second, the darker malts really come threw. This gives way to the roasty malts and resiny pine which in turn finishes light caramel and toffee finish.

Smell: The hop aroma is more subtle to darker malt notes, however there is no missing the oak. Not to strong on the vanilla, it smells fantastic! You almost get the warmth of a whisky.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth; somewhere between medium and full-bodied. With its sticky sweetness offset by the sharp bitterness, the whole thing is balanced out by the oak flavors which give it a great mouth feel for sure.

Overall: Really enjoyed it!! It is a complex experience for sure and pairs with just about anything worth eating. (1,029 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -25.5%

First impression: Is this Kool-Aid? Damn, this beer looks red and clear, you'd almost think it was a wine cooler.

Smell: Ok, I think I've nailed it: fresh cut lumber. Yes, this beer smells like sawdust, Home Depot, and all the good memories you have from your days with a circular saw.

Taste: I almost grimaced at first, because it was so oaky and bitter, it really cuts your tongue. You wonder for a second if you just put varnish or turpentine in your mouth. The more you drink it, the more pronounced the oakiness becomes, and the beer cuts less.

This beer is one of the most unique I've ever come across. It is so oily, it really looks like a wine or some sort of wood stain. If you've ever wondered what wine afficionados mean when they note a wine as being "oaky", look no further. This beer is like the crazy uncle of the tamer wood product- maple syrup.

I paid $15.99 for a six pack. Yes, cheaper than a bar, but still a costly endeavor. (950 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance: The beer pours a very deep amber color with plenty of thick white head. The head lasted throughout most of the life of the beer. Looks great.

Smell: There are prominent malty scents going on with this beer. I do sense the woody oak too. The hops are in the scent but nothing too prominent.

Taste: This beer hits you with sweet malt flavors right off the bat. The oak aged factor is definitely noticeable, and I think I really like it. Later on the hops bitterness really comes through. I feel like I'm tasting some alcohol, but it really doesn't have that high of a ABV rating.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and sticky. Nothing wrong with that but it does affect the drinkability.

Drinkability: Because of the strong malt and sweetness of this beer, it seems to be a little strong. I could drink a couple of these maximum. (832 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5%

I'm a big fan of Arrogant Bastard...but they were out of it so I figured I would try Oaked. I didn't find it much different than the Bastard...but that's not a bad thing!

The head was of the off white two finger variety which lasted quite awhile and then laced very nicely. Nice balance of hops and malt in the aroma. Decent mouthfeel...a little thin but not bad by any means. Strong malt flavor with a nice balance of bitterness. Not a stong hop flavor or aroma but a nice finish. Everything an ale should be.

This is an enjoyable beer. Not much different from the regular Arrogant Bastard but I'll take what I can get here in Connecticut! (642 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Keep in mind that I drank this beer with a medium head cold running its course. I was hoping to taste this beer, and I sure did, but it was not over powering. A delightful mix of hops and malt, with a strong, hop presence. A dark brown, almost ruby color. Not much head, but that might be deceiving, as it took the server a while to bring my brew. Not much evidence of lace in the beginning, but nice pattern as I enjoyed my pint. As far as aroma, I smelled hops, and again, not overpowering, but I can't penalize this brew because of my head cold. I hope this beer is still around when my head cold is gone. (608 characters)

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.