Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,848 | Hads: 5,114
2.1/5  rDev -49.9%

This ale was quite a disappointment. My friend said this was his favorite beer so I had to try it. I had the double bastard ale and was blown away by the alcohol, I had this one and was just blown away by the nasty overall taste. The finish was a serious woody chemical taste akin to Varathane on hard rock maple.

the details

A- Pours dark amber with 1/2 finger head. semi cloudy

S- Very very malty, smooth yet very strong chemical smell

T- Strong hop on the front end

M- medium carbonation

D- Too strong on the back end, way too much oaky taste. Not sure this flavor belongs in beer.

I have a lot of respect for what Arrogant Bastard is trying to accomplish with their aggressive brand of beers but this is a bit over the top. But then again, maybe that's the whole point.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Dark brown-reddish appearance with an off-white head. Decent retention with exceptional lacing.

Smells of oak, herbs, and a bit of citrus. Taste is first a bit piney from the hops, followed by citrus and a bit of mint, which finishes with a malty body and a clean oak flavor.

The oak adds a higher level of smoothness to this brew and increases its drinkability. Definitely one of my go to beers.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Curse Stone and their fickle distribution scheming! As the last dregs of their beer drain down our parching Canadian throats, apparently not to be replenished in the foreseeable future, I'm left to ruefully sip my last OAB and type this ode to its brilliance.

It's a clear brew, the colour of a fresh conker-shell. It smells a bit weird: some molasses, greenery, a herbal tang that is in no way reflected in the flavour, but oh well.

The strength of this beer is the way it grows in your mouth and slugs you with three waves of flavour: a sweet acidity, followed by a resoundingly warm malt explosion that takes over your whole mouth, then as it subsides, a fine bitterness lurking at the back of your tongue. The whole effect is tied together with smoke.

I could glug it for hours but it'd kick my arse and, well, there isn't any left anyway.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Deep brown with a 1/2" tan head with lacing

S - Malts, caramel, and oak

T - Sweet up front with fruits and caramel, hop bitterness and the oak flavor at the end. Very nice.

M - Medium-bodied and well carbonated. A bit sticky too.

D - This is a phenomenal beer from Stone. I'm impressed with just about everything they put out and this is no exception. It seems like I taste something new with every sip. Recommended.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

355mL bottle into snifter
A - Pours a dark amber with a finger of cream-coloured head.
S - Primarily sweet oakyness with a little hops citrus below it.
T - The oak wood flavours are very obvious up front and combine with the hops to form a piney flavour. On the finish, they separate more definitely into grapefruit and oak. Tastes much maltier than normal Arrogant Bastard, but that may just be the oak.
M - Moderate body with light carbonation and a medium finish.
O - I prefer the non-oaked Arrogant Bastard, but the oaked variant is still a good beer. The combination of the rich oak flavours and the citrusy hops strikes me as a bit unusual, but still quite good. Would get again.

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%

A NOTE: Price is factored in here. $20 before tax on a six pack, $60 on a case. I am trying to judge by style standards, but you should be aware of what this costs.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Corsedonk Christmas Chalice.

Appearance: A very solid ruby, lightening toward the edges in the light. Head is noticeable, but not overall important to the final appearance. The lacing really defines appearance here, and there is a beautiful lace down the side of the glass.

Smell: It's a strong ale, aged in oak. I don't know what to say. The scent is there, it isn't mindblowing and it isn't terrible. It's average.

Taste: To me, this is why you buy this (expensive) level of beer. And it totally fulfills. I had a bottle 2 years ago and thought it was the best beer I ever had or ever would. Now, it is still very good, very strong and assertive, but the "arrogance" has certainly been toned down when expectations are adjusted to a wider scope of available beer. Still delicious, and still worth the money for the taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice, lingering oak. Otherwise pretty standard, for better or for worse, strong ale feel. Honestly, I have some trouble separating this from "dark" strong ales and the original Belgian-styles, so I cannot say it has something great going. The above average is for the nice oak presence.

Overall: A solid beer that costs too much. If you can buy it, buy it. If you could get another strong ale, or even a nice barley or aged DIPA, for a lesser price, try that instead.

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours into a pint with a 1- finger head that is slowly dissipating with each sip, while leaving a nice lacing. The color is very dark ruby/copper.

Ive never smelled a beer like this; strong, but mellow. I can almost smell how it tastes;

smoky, chewy, not as viscous as I expected (not a bad thing), nor as alcoholic. Heavy malts, hops. Might be a little biased based on the Sierra Nevada Celebration I just finished.

Very foamy mouthfeel, so foamy it almost turns into a cream as I "swish" it around my mouth. Very drinkable and I would have to recommend it.

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured a reddish brown with a lingering, lacing head. Nose is high on hops with an orangey citrus and spicy herbal aroma with some undertones of wood and sweetness. Aroma is mirrored in the taste with a bold grapefruit and piney hop presence. A good amount of hop bitterness is present as well. Sweet malt tones balance the beer followed by a nice amount of oak on the finish.

Oak aging adds complexity and balance outshining the original Bastard.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Notes: poured from 12 oz. bottle to snifter. Would probably pair beautifully with BBQ or smoked wings.

A: hazy, deep amber color with a medium tan head that left solid rings of lace.

S: sweet malty nose followed by hints of cherry, alcohol, wood, spice, and vanilla; a lot going on in there.

T: citrusy, grapefruit hops are perfectly balanced by solid but not overly sweet malt. The alcohol in the smell is almost nonexistent in the flavor. Once the hops dissipate, the smoky wood covers the palate and sticks around.

M: this lightly carbonated brew is slightly grainy and really lingers in the mouth, making it a real "stick to your ribs" kind of beer.

D: a perfectly balanced, flavorful brew that could easily be enjoyed in multiples without knocking you out.

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The oak barreling mellows out the malt flavor aftertaste yet leaves a slight hoppy flavor. Has a reddish caramel color and lovely smell. Not too hoppy and not too malty but will shock the uninitiated to strong ales from Stone. Arrogancy at its best!

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

I pored this from a 12 oz. bottle into a sole cup. Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorites so I was ready to try this new twist.

A- Nice tan head with fine bobbles. dark copper in color.

S- Malt with some coffee and carmal

T- Dark malt and hopps a little oak that dryed it out and left a taste that lasted on the tounge

M- Good and firm

D- A nice change but one is enough

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

I had this for the first time on tap at Stone Brewery for their Hoppy Fathers Day buffet... and ... WOW. I loved the oak flavor. It was very strong, and obviously the primary flavor of this beer. This coupled with the fantastic BBQ I was eating... well, they just went hand in hand.

All in all, I rated it high because how it accompanied my meal, it was faaan-tastic! I don't know if I would have loved it as much on its own... but my next BBQ, some Oaked Bastard is what I will be serving.

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Holy crap I just had this on tap at Mahar's in Albany. 20 ounces of amazing outstanding incredible beer, 20-25 minutes later I couldn't even think of what could possibly come next, my mind was blown at the complexity of this beer.

A- a very dark brown-red colour with an off white head that stays the entire way down, beautiful to look at.

Smell- Almost smells like a fine scotch thanks to the oak aging. I spent half my time smelling this beer, it's simply too much

Taste- I tried so hard to pick this beer apart, but it simply overwhelmed my taste buds, this beer is so complex there's too much for me to comprehend.

mouthfeel- most Stone brews have that same healthy mouthfeel, not too thin and not thick to where it makes you gag like some beers can do.

drinkability- as much as i really enjoyed this beer, I think it would be impossible for me to have more than one a night or even a week perhaps. After tonight and the other beers I tried, my mouth needs a while to recover. This beer is amazing and if you have the chance to get your hands on it, GO FOR IT, it takes an awesome thing and makes it completely different. GO STONE!

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a beautiful, clear, ruby red. Plenty of rocky head retains well and laces perfectly after each sip. This is awesome to look at.

S- Oak with just a hint of coconut rum.

T- Great malt character upfront that finishes with the oak and just a subtle hint of coconut that I mentioned in the nose. The 7.2% ABV is hidden quite well with some flavor/bitterning hops offering an even taste balance.

M- Medium to full bodied but not heavy in the least. It does not feel like syrup. I think this beer is perfectly carbonated, too.

D- American Strong Ale, baby! This is one of those beers that is just fun to drink. The flavor profile is interesting, the taste is great, and the feel is perfect. Pour me another, please!

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

creamy off white head, check. lovely amber hues and shades of reddish brown, check. first sniff loaded with hops, only lasting a fleeting moment until the other aromas of vanilla and maple syrup take over. this i assume must be from the oak aging, which also adds quite a nice bit of depth and complexity to the taste. sweet and savory flavors on the first sip are in juxtapose with a crushing lingering bitterness that creeps up quickly to balance out the alcohol and nutty profile of the malts. my bottle was one month past the drink y date and still very nice. would eventually like to try a fresh bottle to compare. this handles like a real beer. its solid, fun, and ripping with good qualities.

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

i like it. very smooth. dark. nice faint citrus taste, alcohol is pretty hidden. cant really find the oaked flavor though but that doesnt take anything away. this is yet another stone brew that goes straight to the top of my list.not the best but up there pretty close. if you like the original bastard you will like this

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a freshness date into a stemless red wine glass. Purchased at Tops Liquor in Tempe, AZ for $2.49. Left yeast sediment in the bottle.

A - Poured light brown with a nice rocky head and good lacing. Color was light brown and nearly nearly opaque.

Big hoppy and grapefruit and wood smell. Oak comes through. Minty flavor. Full bodied, smooth on the tongue. Aftertaste is earthy and lasts forever. Really liked this.

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter.

Pours as blood red as a beer could possibly be. The fluffy two finger off-white head seems like it could stick around for days. Beautiful lacing. This is an impeccable looking brew.

A malty caramel backbone. Woody (oak) and slightly earthy (tobacco) tones. Maybe a mint or menthol type sweetness. Some vanilla.

This is just fantastic and the depth is unreal. Oily hops, oak, caramelized sugar, and nice pine bite at the finish. This beer rivals a lot of heavy hitters in the "lingering" category.

A heavy beer that leaves a dry finish. I'm okay with the carbonation. I think any more would take away from this beer.

A fantastic looking beer with an awesome head that reminds of a hefeweizen. Stone's Oaked Arrogant Bastard is worthy of it's high rating on this site. This beer is angry, and I'm sure Stone would relish the hell out of that statement.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: A middle-brown, somewhere around Diet Coke, perhaps. It's a very dark amber in hue and absolutley beautiful.

Smell: I really don't know where to go. It's bitter, but at the same time sweet, sweeter than regular AB.

Taste: It's bitter, but at the same time sweet. This Oak-aged is even sweeter than regular AB, but not by much.

Mouthfeel: Not that thick, but thicker than most ales.

Drinkability: Well, I'm working on a 3L bottle as we speak. Because once it warms its flavor significantly betters, I would rate this brew as quite drinkable; however, in order to savor as much of the beer's flavor as possible, I would suggest getting some friends to help you out when dealing with a large quanitity of this ale, such as the 3L bottle. Regardless, it's damned tasty!

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Wow. I've been waiting a long time to drink this and I finally am able to get a bottle.
Appearance is like a regular AB, which is not a bad thing at all.
Smell is very malty with a kind a piney hoppiness to it along with a hint of oak.
Taste is very good. Like an AB, but the little bit of oak adds a bit of complexity.
Mouthfeel wasnt what I expected. Its not too carbonated, but it also seems kinda creamy.
This is one of the best beers I've ever had.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

A- Nice amber color with a thin white head..little lacing with head maintaining throughout

S- Decent roasted malt smell with hints of oak..little hop aroma present

T- Nice roasted/oaky taste with relatively low bitterness

M- Complex and pretty heavy body

D- Nice beer to sip on, goes down smoothly, definitely not a session beer.

Wow, this is good. I bought a 6 pack of this after already trying regular AB many times. I was blown away. Everything I liked about AB plus piney and vanilla notes that made me never want to stop drinking this stuff. The mouthfeel and especially drinkability are off the charts for me. Beautiful dark amber color, too. If oak-aging worked this well for every beer, the world would be a better place.

3.62/5  rDev -13.6%

A large off-white head. Very creamy with excellent lacing. The overall appearance is quite intimidating, a murk dark brown/red. The aroma is great, a sweet hoppy mollasses with a light doughy scent. The palate on this beer took me off guard, I was expecting a kick your ass alcohol taste, but instead I got a medium body with very soft carbonation. The flavor was very sweet and the alcoholic finish didn't last 2 days like the Ruination IPA did.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

A-Dark amber color with an off white head of foam, lacing throughout the drink

S-hops and floral smell is prominent

T-strong citrus and hop taste and you can taste the difference that the oak aging makes over the normal bastard.

M-Lightly carbonated with bit of an alcohol bite at the end of the drink

D-nice smooth drink with a decent ABV. This beer benefits from the aging process. Obviously not a party beer but goes well with dinner or a night in with friends

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a SA Perfect Pint glass,this beer is a deep copper color with a medium off white cascading head. This brew looks very good. The aroma is sweet with notes of plums and dark fruits,caramel,spices,and of course wood,with a hint of alcohol. The barrel aging is immediately obvious with oak and woodiness slowly giving way to bitter hoppiness. The mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is just about right,with the alcohol taste just barely present. The additional oak aging adds a new layer of complexity over regular Arrogant Bastard. The bitter character of this beer is the perfect foil to the delicious sweetness in the smell.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.