Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,843 | Hads: 5,081
4.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

i like it. very smooth. dark. nice faint citrus taste, alcohol is pretty hidden. cant really find the oaked flavor though but that doesnt take anything away. this is yet another stone brew that goes straight to the top of my list.not the best but up there pretty close. if you like the original bastard you will like this (321 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a freshness date into a stemless red wine glass. Purchased at Tops Liquor in Tempe, AZ for $2.49. Left yeast sediment in the bottle.

A - Poured light brown with a nice rocky head and good lacing. Color was light brown and nearly nearly opaque.

Big hoppy and grapefruit and wood smell. Oak comes through. Minty flavor. Full bodied, smooth on the tongue. Aftertaste is earthy and lasts forever. Really liked this. (444 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter.

A:
Pours as blood red as a beer could possibly be. The fluffy two finger off-white head seems like it could stick around for days. Beautiful lacing. This is an impeccable looking brew.

S:
A malty caramel backbone. Woody (oak) and slightly earthy (tobacco) tones. Maybe a mint or menthol type sweetness. Some vanilla.

T:
This is just fantastic and the depth is unreal. Oily hops, oak, caramelized sugar, and nice pine bite at the finish. This beer rivals a lot of heavy hitters in the "lingering" category.

M:
A heavy beer that leaves a dry finish. I'm okay with the carbonation. I think any more would take away from this beer.

O:
A fantastic looking beer with an awesome head that reminds of a hefeweizen. Stone's Oaked Arrogant Bastard is worthy of it's high rating on this site. This beer is angry, and I'm sure Stone would relish the hell out of that statement.

Serving type: bottle (935 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: A middle-brown, somewhere around Diet Coke, perhaps. It's a very dark amber in hue and absolutley beautiful.

Smell: I really don't know where to go. It's bitter, but at the same time sweet, sweeter than regular AB.

Taste: It's bitter, but at the same time sweet. This Oak-aged is even sweeter than regular AB, but not by much.

Mouthfeel: Not that thick, but thicker than most ales.

Drinkability: Well, I'm working on a 3L bottle as we speak. Because once it warms its flavor significantly betters, I would rate this brew as quite drinkable; however, in order to savor as much of the beer's flavor as possible, I would suggest getting some friends to help you out when dealing with a large quanitity of this ale, such as the 3L bottle. Regardless, it's damned tasty! (789 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Wow. I've been waiting a long time to drink this and I finally am able to get a bottle.
Appearance is like a regular AB, which is not a bad thing at all.
Smell is very malty with a kind a piney hoppiness to it along with a hint of oak.
Taste is very good. Like an AB, but the little bit of oak adds a bit of complexity.
Mouthfeel wasnt what I expected. Its not too carbonated, but it also seems kinda creamy.
This is one of the best beers I've ever had. (457 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

A- Nice amber color with a thin white head..little lacing with head maintaining throughout

S- Decent roasted malt smell with hints of oak..little hop aroma present

T- Nice roasted/oaky taste with relatively low bitterness

M- Complex and pretty heavy body

D- Nice beer to sip on, goes down smoothly, definitely not a session beer. (333 characters)

Wow, this is good. I bought a 6 pack of this after already trying regular AB many times. I was blown away. Everything I liked about AB plus piney and vanilla notes that made me never want to stop drinking this stuff. The mouthfeel and especially drinkability are off the charts for me. Beautiful dark amber color, too. If oak-aging worked this well for every beer, the world would be a better place. (399 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13.6%

A large off-white head. Very creamy with excellent lacing. The overall appearance is quite intimidating, a murk dark brown/red. The aroma is great, a sweet hoppy mollasses with a light doughy scent. The palate on this beer took me off guard, I was expecting a kick your ass alcohol taste, but instead I got a medium body with very soft carbonation. The flavor was very sweet and the alcoholic finish didn't last 2 days like the Ruination IPA did. (446 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15%

A-Dark amber color with an off white head of foam, lacing throughout the drink

S-hops and floral smell is prominent

T-strong citrus and hop taste and you can taste the difference that the oak aging makes over the normal bastard.

M-Lightly carbonated with bit of an alcohol bite at the end of the drink

D-nice smooth drink with a decent ABV. This beer benefits from the aging process. Obviously not a party beer but goes well with dinner or a night in with friends (468 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a SA Perfect Pint glass,this beer is a deep copper color with a medium off white cascading head. This brew looks very good. The aroma is sweet with notes of plums and dark fruits,caramel,spices,and of course wood,with a hint of alcohol. The barrel aging is immediately obvious with oak and woodiness slowly giving way to bitter hoppiness. The mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is just about right,with the alcohol taste just barely present. The additional oak aging adds a new layer of complexity over regular Arrogant Bastard. The bitter character of this beer is the perfect foil to the delicious sweetness in the smell.  (663 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

A good looking pour. A little less dark than orig AB to me, dark ruby with a thick one finger head that sticks around.

Smells like pure goodness. Perfect balance between hops and malt with a bit of vanilla.

Hops hit good and hard with carmal and pine following. The vanilla comes through, guess thats what I'm associating the oak with.

Feels like this should be around all year. But if that was the case how often would I have an AB and would I really appreciate the oak?

Going to try my hardest to age a few but one, two, three, or four of these when needed is recomended. Keep in mind these are baby 12oz. Drinkability depends on how many you invested in. (669 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

I had this beer out of a bottle into a heavy glass mug

S: The smell is not overwhelming. You can definitely smell that distinct hop smell, as well as a caramel smell.

A: It is a dark, almost chestnut color. The head was billowing and thick

T: The taste is very complex. You get that hoppy taste, as well as a roasted taste. You also get a hint of caramel. It has a powerful aftertaste, bitter but very good.

M: The beer was mild on my palate, not too overwhelming, it was light and not too strong of a carbonation. It didn't much of a chewy feel, but left the bitter aftertaste.

Overall, this is a very good beer. I would recommend this beer and I will defintely get it again (681 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: This beer poured and beautiful dark brown with an orange/reddish brilliant hue. The head was fantastic when pouring from the bottle. Head really stuck to the inside of the glass leaving gorgeous lacing. Very impressive!

Taste: You can really taste the combination of hops right away. This really compliments the roasty dark malts flavor. After a second, the darker malts really come threw. This gives way to the roasty malts and resiny pine which in turn finishes light caramel and toffee finish.

Smell: The hop aroma is more subtle to darker malt notes, however there is no missing the oak. Not to strong on the vanilla, it smells fantastic! You almost get the warmth of a whisky.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth; somewhere between medium and full-bodied. With its sticky sweetness offset by the sharp bitterness, the whole thing is balanced out by the oak flavors which give it a great mouth feel for sure.

Overall: Really enjoyed it!! It is a complex experience for sure and pairs with just about anything worth eating. (1,029 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -25.5%

First impression: Is this Kool-Aid? Damn, this beer looks red and clear, you'd almost think it was a wine cooler.

Smell: Ok, I think I've nailed it: fresh cut lumber. Yes, this beer smells like sawdust, Home Depot, and all the good memories you have from your days with a circular saw.

Taste: I almost grimaced at first, because it was so oaky and bitter, it really cuts your tongue. You wonder for a second if you just put varnish or turpentine in your mouth. The more you drink it, the more pronounced the oakiness becomes, and the beer cuts less.

This beer is one of the most unique I've ever come across. It is so oily, it really looks like a wine or some sort of wood stain. If you've ever wondered what wine afficionados mean when they note a wine as being "oaky", look no further. This beer is like the crazy uncle of the tamer wood product- maple syrup.

I paid $15.99 for a six pack. Yes, cheaper than a bar, but still a costly endeavor. (950 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance: The beer pours a very deep amber color with plenty of thick white head. The head lasted throughout most of the life of the beer. Looks great.

Smell: There are prominent malty scents going on with this beer. I do sense the woody oak too. The hops are in the scent but nothing too prominent.

Taste: This beer hits you with sweet malt flavors right off the bat. The oak aged factor is definitely noticeable, and I think I really like it. Later on the hops bitterness really comes through. I feel like I'm tasting some alcohol, but it really doesn't have that high of a ABV rating.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and sticky. Nothing wrong with that but it does affect the drinkability.

Drinkability: Because of the strong malt and sweetness of this beer, it seems to be a little strong. I could drink a couple of these maximum. (832 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5%

I'm a big fan of Arrogant Bastard...but they were out of it so I figured I would try Oaked. I didn't find it much different than the Bastard...but that's not a bad thing!

The head was of the off white two finger variety which lasted quite awhile and then laced very nicely. Nice balance of hops and malt in the aroma. Decent mouthfeel...a little thin but not bad by any means. Strong malt flavor with a nice balance of bitterness. Not a stong hop flavor or aroma but a nice finish. Everything an ale should be.

This is an enjoyable beer. Not much different from the regular Arrogant Bastard but I'll take what I can get here in Connecticut! (642 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Keep in mind that I drank this beer with a medium head cold running its course. I was hoping to taste this beer, and I sure did, but it was not over powering. A delightful mix of hops and malt, with a strong, hop presence. A dark brown, almost ruby color. Not much head, but that might be deceiving, as it took the server a while to bring my brew. Not much evidence of lace in the beginning, but nice pattern as I enjoyed my pint. As far as aroma, I smelled hops, and again, not overpowering, but I can't penalize this brew because of my head cold. I hope this beer is still around when my head cold is gone. (608 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

piney wood aroma, subtle. vibrant rust color, vaguely cloudy with cream head. sweet roasty malt with hoppy bitterness. smooth creamy bite, with lasting hangtime. earthy organic feel. begins in the nose and finishes in the back of the throat, and pleasurable through out. (270 characters)

4.19/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: a dark brown, that is hazy hard to see through with a moderate head.

Smell: Smells of oak chips and hops.

Taste: The taste takes some getting used to, there is an upfront oak flavor which grows in your mouth followed by the taste of caramelized sugars and hops for a finish. At the beginning of the glass I was iffy on the beer, the more I drank the more I liked it. (now I don't want it to end)

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is quite nice, moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I could drink a couple of these in the night without getting tired of it, though its alcohol is over 7 so I wouldn't be driving home from the bar. (680 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a six-pack from Peace Street - those dudes always come through on the good stuff! I poured this one into a little de 'Proef tulip. I'm really beginning to appreciate this glass for the way it handles complex volatile aromas like those present in Oaked Arrogant Bastard.

This is really nice looking brew. It's dirty garnet colored with some ruby highlights to it. Not as actively carbonated as other Stone offerings I've experienced but this guy does hold a nice looking, dense and creamy two-finger head that's somewhere between those off-white hues and a more creamy/cappuccino color. Head holds nice and tight but dissipates after a sip or two leaving significant layers of lacing.

Interesting aroma - that much is for certain. Smells...oddly sweet. Sweet and boozy right off the bat. There are some other factors at work here lending much complexity: The malt biscuityness and a touch of sweet vanilla blend alongside the spicy hop quality and similarly-spicy-yet-fruity alcohol notes. Further agitation stirs up the grassy quality from the hops but not a crazy hop bomb, in fact, to my surprise.

Yes, this is an entirely different beer than its un-oaked counterpart. The hop quality is still immediately present but just not knock-down drag-out hops-in-your-face hoppy. There is certainly an amount of tempering of the overall flavor by oak addition. The detectable sweetness in aroma carries over to the flavor as well - I guess I'd expect a little sweetness from a beer of this weight called a "Strong Ale" and it is certainly not deleterious. The sweet is balanced by the spice notes coming from any number of sources here. I suppose I'm inclined to believe there is oak at work as I've tasted this beer un-oaked and it doesn't carry the tempered spicyness but rather allows the hop presence through with great fortitude. Some balance from muted malt flavors comes into play as the beer warms a bit; all gives way to a palate-coatingly sweet, grassy-hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is a little undercarbonated for such a full-bodied beer. There is a definite sensation of dryness and palpable alcohol on the palate. Overall drinkability is somewhat affected by the warming of this beer as the dryness can REALLY take hold at higher-than-fridge temperatures.

Overall, a good offering - no doubt about it. This is a beer created to be savored by and entice the palates of beer advocates and at $16.99 (!!!) a sixer only real beer nerds will go for it, anyway. Outside of such a context this beer almost doesn't make sense. (2,536 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - poured a medium brown/amber color with a cream-colored head that disappeared quickly.

S - apple cider, vanilla, malty, slight hoppiness

T - a nice carbonated brew with slight bitter and hoppy character. I really enjoyed the balance of flavors.

The oak flavor was not as apparent as it is in wine (at least to my palate). (327 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

(12 oz bottles) I drank this beer in my hotel room on a recent visit to San Jose. I bought the beer and many others to ship home but I couldn't help trying this one the night I purchased it. Used the water glass in the hotel room.

Poored a nice clear amber/brown color similar to root beer with light tan head that dissipated early. Nice lacing on the glass.

Smell is sweet caramel malts, floral hops, and oak. Very well balanced smell.

Taste has a nice hop bitterness that balances the sweetness very well. I also pick up the oak and carmel in the middle before the citrus and piney hops comes back at the end.

Great carbonation level and mouthfeel makes this very drinkable but not really a session beer. Perfect for a night in the hotel room. (750 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 20oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Dark brown / amber with a pretty thick head that turns into an awesome lace. Looks about as badass as its bottle.

S - Woody and fruity. I smell passion fruit or grapefruit, along with some pine maybe? The aroma is intense, and one of the best parts of this brew.

T - Awesome. A hint of booze makes its way through, which adds to the beer significantly. I taste fruit and wood mostly. Strong malts for that bread aftertaste, and super strong hops. This baby is BITTER, which is just the way I like it!

M - Silky smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation. Dry finish. Like I said, this brew is bitter, and it sticks around. Have you ever eaten 80% cocoa dark chocolate? Think about how that made your mouth feel, and apply it to this beer.

D - Pretty easy to drink, but I wouldn't want more than one over the course of a night. Did I mention it tastes delicious?

This is one of my favorite beers ever. It is fantastic. The non-oaked version is also fantastic. DEFINITELY recommended, but you have to like a strong beer which is damn bitter. Otherwise, this isn't the beer for you. (1,129 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

A: nice dark red body with a light tan red head. deffinently looks "oaked"

S: richer version of the arrogant bastard blend of sharp hops. just a subtle hint of citrus.

T: the oaked adds a nice blended smoothness to the beer over the regular arrogant bastard with a slight "taste" of age. light malt with the nice sharp (but smoothed) sharp hop bite. when cold there is a slight "hollowness" that closes as it gradually warms.

M: surprisingly smooth and creamy and nicely refreshing for such an aggressive beer. leaves a nice tingle in the mouth. (554 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a standard beer mug, this beer is a dark amber, cloudy copper color..almost like an old copper penny with some dirt on it..although I must add, if this beer were an old penny, it would surely be the most delicious coin I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

When you smell this beer, you think you know what to expect in the taste....the woody oak, bitter hops and fantastic sweetness are all well accounted for by the nose...but when the taste buds indulge themselves, the mouth could easily brag to the nose about what it's missing!

The taste? hops hops hops! and the oak aging has seeped its way into this beer for sure. This, along with certain fruits make the immediate taste a very bitter one... a bitterness that lingers pleasantly for a long, long time. Beyond the bitterness, it's pure complexity and balance that give this such a world class taste. Almost like a fine wine, grapes and grapefruit are apparent, and the alcohol is well hidden. If you don't like a bitter beer, you might want to pass this one up...but you'll be missing out on a fantastic brew. Easily one of my favorite beers I've ever tasted.

The mouthfeel is creamy and full bodied! despite the high alcohol, it's very drinkable....how drinkable? if I had more i'd be drinking it all night. (1,283 characters)

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.