Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,848 | Hads: 5,113
4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - poured a medium brown/amber color with a cream-colored head that disappeared quickly.

S - apple cider, vanilla, malty, slight hoppiness

T - a nice carbonated brew with slight bitter and hoppy character. I really enjoyed the balance of flavors.

The oak flavor was not as apparent as it is in wine (at least to my palate).

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

(12 oz bottles) I drank this beer in my hotel room on a recent visit to San Jose. I bought the beer and many others to ship home but I couldn't help trying this one the night I purchased it. Used the water glass in the hotel room.

Poored a nice clear amber/brown color similar to root beer with light tan head that dissipated early. Nice lacing on the glass.

Smell is sweet caramel malts, floral hops, and oak. Very well balanced smell.

Taste has a nice hop bitterness that balances the sweetness very well. I also pick up the oak and carmel in the middle before the citrus and piney hops comes back at the end.

Great carbonation level and mouthfeel makes this very drinkable but not really a session beer. Perfect for a night in the hotel room.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 20oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Dark brown / amber with a pretty thick head that turns into an awesome lace. Looks about as badass as its bottle.

S - Woody and fruity. I smell passion fruit or grapefruit, along with some pine maybe? The aroma is intense, and one of the best parts of this brew.

T - Awesome. A hint of booze makes its way through, which adds to the beer significantly. I taste fruit and wood mostly. Strong malts for that bread aftertaste, and super strong hops. This baby is BITTER, which is just the way I like it!

M - Silky smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation. Dry finish. Like I said, this brew is bitter, and it sticks around. Have you ever eaten 80% cocoa dark chocolate? Think about how that made your mouth feel, and apply it to this beer.

D - Pretty easy to drink, but I wouldn't want more than one over the course of a night. Did I mention it tastes delicious?

This is one of my favorite beers ever. It is fantastic. The non-oaked version is also fantastic. DEFINITELY recommended, but you have to like a strong beer which is damn bitter. Otherwise, this isn't the beer for you.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

A: nice dark red body with a light tan red head. deffinently looks "oaked"

S: richer version of the arrogant bastard blend of sharp hops. just a subtle hint of citrus.

T: the oaked adds a nice blended smoothness to the beer over the regular arrogant bastard with a slight "taste" of age. light malt with the nice sharp (but smoothed) sharp hop bite. when cold there is a slight "hollowness" that closes as it gradually warms.

M: surprisingly smooth and creamy and nicely refreshing for such an aggressive beer. leaves a nice tingle in the mouth.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a standard beer mug, this beer is a dark amber, cloudy copper color..almost like an old copper penny with some dirt on it..although I must add, if this beer were an old penny, it would surely be the most delicious coin I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

When you smell this beer, you think you know what to expect in the taste....the woody oak, bitter hops and fantastic sweetness are all well accounted for by the nose...but when the taste buds indulge themselves, the mouth could easily brag to the nose about what it's missing!

The taste? hops hops hops! and the oak aging has seeped its way into this beer for sure. This, along with certain fruits make the immediate taste a very bitter one... a bitterness that lingers pleasantly for a long, long time. Beyond the bitterness, it's pure complexity and balance that give this such a world class taste. Almost like a fine wine, grapes and grapefruit are apparent, and the alcohol is well hidden. If you don't like a bitter beer, you might want to pass this one up...but you'll be missing out on a fantastic brew. Easily one of my favorite beers I've ever tasted.

The mouthfeel is creamy and full bodied! despite the high alcohol, it's very drinkable....how drinkable? if I had more i'd be drinking it all night.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Most of the times I’ve had this it has been very fresh, plenty of citrus and bitter in the finish that keeps you coming back for more. I like this beer. If you like Arrogant Bastard but can’t handle the bitterness try this. I feel that this really is the crowning achievement of Stone Brewing.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Dark, reddish and cloudy. Looks a slight bit thick coming out of the bottle. About a finger's worth of creamy off white head. Retention is lower than I expected, but plenty of lacing. I smell mostly caramel and alcohol. A little bit of oak but I'm not sure if that's placebo effect.

I wonder if maybe this has gone bad. It HAS been sitting in the back of my fridge for at least a few months. I bought a six pack a while back and kept one to review, but only got around to it now. Carbonation is a lot less than I remember, but that may be due to poor memory. I don't taste the oak at all. Alcohol warmth and a good bit of bitterness. I taste slight caramel, but I have to really concentrate to find it. Cloves come through as well.

On second thought, I don't think it has gone bad, I just think it has been a long time since I've had it or regular Bastard. Moderate thickness. Carbonation doesn't come through well unless I hold it in my mouth. I could have a couple, but it's not what I would choose to drink often. I'm a little disappointed. It's not as good as I remember, and for the price, I would buy this very sparingly.

I feel bad not giving this beer a higher rating. Stone has consistently been one of my favorites, but I think my tastes are leaning toward different styles now.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

A.-in a thick glass mug it had a very good head, a little ove a inch thick with nice retention and good lacing. it is a deep rich amber color..almost cherry sunburst in the light..very little settlement

S.-very aromatic,has a distinct oaky smell and the hops are well defined. well balanced with the malt

T.-like the smell the taste is very simular with a medium nutty and a hint of fruit aftertaste..very tastey overall

M.-@ 41* It has a playfull crisp mouthfeel. lots of bubblesand smooth going down the throat.

D.- it is one to take slower..prety good drinkability but very rich and slightly thick.

there is a definate signature taste. I think it is a very well crafted brew..i would recomend it

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

This is just badass. No other way to put it.

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass. Deep amber body, persistent quarter inch of tan foam, lots of lacing.

Nose is lots of deep toasty malt, some bready yeast scent, hops surprisingly recessed but present.

Taste is just exceptional. Very deep and malty with a nice hop aftertaste, surprisingly little alcohol flavor for a 7.2% beer, you kind of have to be looking for it to notice.

Drinkability... well, this is a strong ale to sit with and savor, one that will sit in the glass and wait for you without going flat or stale. Smoother than regular AB.

What can one say? Stone continues to impress. One of the best things I've had in months.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Was skeptical at first, not of the beer, but the fact that I stumbled on to this one in the "scratch and dent" corner of my new favorite beer distributor. A quick google search showed that the product date stamped on the side of the case, I should be "within spec" for the lack of a better term.

Appearance - Poured a dark amber/copper color (almost brown) with a tan head.

Smell - Smells sweet like carmel

Taste - Tastes of wood and charcoal

Mouthfeel - light to medium bodied with little carbonation

Overall - Very glad I took a "chance" on this one; I do not regret it. Have never had the regular Arrogant Bastard, but it is on my "to-do" list for sure!

3.07/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured this from the bottle into a mug.

Looked and smelled good, dark.

First taste was bitterness, and water. I hate when I can pick up on the water in a beer. Besides that it did have a decent body, and I appreciate dark beers, but I have just never been able to appreciate any of the Arrogant Bastard brews.

Mouthfeel was pretty carbonated and bitter. If you like bitter, you will like this one, but not the most bitter I've had.

Overall, I finished it. That's about it.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

I stopped drinking this after the price increase gosh maybe 8 years ago now...Found it on tap the other day and its all I have been drinking, the oak flavors elavate the Arrogant Bastard to outstanding heights

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Starts with a finger of brown head that slowly receders to a ring around the glass. Beautiful lacing surrounds the glass as you drink it. The beer itself is a cloudy ruby red.

Smell: The initial smell is of strong hops and malts. A oaked smell comes through the strong aroma. Could be a bit stronger in smell though.

Taste: There is a very strong complex taste to this beer that only gets better as you drink it. Besides the obvious strong malts and hops, the oak taste is present but not overwhelming. Overall, great but powerful taste.

Mouthfeel: This is hands down the best mouthfeel I'd gotten from a beer so far. It's got great carbonation and just a silky smooth finish that makes you want to drink more.

Drinkability: When I first started drinking this, I didn't think I would be able to drink more then one but the more I drink of this, the more I think I could drink a couple.

This is overall just a great beer. I can't wait to buy some more and keep it in my fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

There are a ton of reviews on how it looks and tastes so here are some other things to keep in mind.

Don't look at the beer as you drink it. It is going to throttle your taste buds and throat as it is, no need to provoke it by trying to stare it down. Remember your not worthy and give the beer the respect it deserves and you will not have any problems. I know some of you laugh, but seriously I think this beer goes down so much better when you are not "thinking" about it and just savoring it.

This is not a beer you break out every day. I save it for a particularly hard week. On Friday I will take a bottle pour it and savor it while relaxing. This is not a work week kind of beer IMO.

This is also not a chugging beer, savor every moment (and at almost 3 bucks a bottle you better savor it)

Overall this is one of my all time favorite beers, though for the money, drinking it ALL the time will get expensive.

2.59/5  rDev -38.2%

Bought a sixer a while back and had a few with a fellow BA.

Looks like a typical Stone brew (great)

With the first whiff I was turned off. Way too much of an oak/pine presence.

The taste was the same as the smell. It tastes like you watered a X-mas tree with Arrogant Bastard and drank the end product. Reminds me of tanqueray. Hated the taste. Way too much Pine/Oak

Mouthfeel wasn't bad at all, but after the first few sips, I just gulped it down.

Not drinkable at all in my opinion.

Def. not close to one of the worst beers you can find, but I would say skip it and go for a regular Arrogant Bastard Ale, which is Superb.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Wow! This is easily the best beer I've tasted so far this year.

It's beautifully balanced with a smooth, caramely sweet taste up front and a hoppy finish with a bit -- but not too much -- of bitterness.

Stone Ruination is one of the beers that really drew me into craft brewing movement last year. But I like Oaked Arrogant Bastard more. It's not as bitter as Ruination and more drinkable.

You definitely get what you pay for with Oaked -- it's well worth the price.

4.4/5  rDev +5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth snifter.

Mahogany, reddish with a white finger head and some lacing.

Hops, citrus and a faint hint of oak.

Caramel, hops but not quite as hop heavy as i'm used to from stone, then oak as well.

Medium body with good carbination. Very good mouth feel.

Seems very drinkable to me. The hops aren't overbearing and goes down very easily.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice, reddish-brown color with a half-inch sweet head on top in my chilled glass mug. Got a lot of small bottles at the BevMo here in Silverdale and had a few of these with my dad.

This is a lot like the base Arrogant Bastard, with intense malty and roasted fronts with a subtle dried fruit flavor followed by a kick in the pants floral hop and bitter finish, but with a nice sweetness and rounded edge to it made obvious by the oak aging. You can definitely tell the difference between this and the regular Arrogant Bastard - if you liked the Bastard in its glory but want something a bit more drinkable yet with the same complexity, go for this. It's the same but with the edge off, and an added woody sweetness to make it more like Bastard Oaked Beer Candy.

As I reviewed the Bastard, I would say Intense, or Aggressive, but I'm also adding another couple of words: Drinkable. Approachable. Same dog, with less bite. Give it a try and enjoy, you'd be hard pressed to not like this one.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Similar too it's brother the Arrogant Bastard, the Oak aged version is very good, adding a bit of a twist to our already "Hoprific" friend. The smell is great, the taste is better! respectable ABV and, as always a very cool bottle! If you like Stone beers, give this one a try.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

A: A deep red hue comes glowing out of the glass as if it is a beer from on tap right at the gates of hell. Not much of head to build from on this particular bottle.

S: The smell is amazing and the oak chips are not the first thing noticed but a malty smell and then Bam…..for some reason I am seeing a warm spiced pear dessert…..weird. Anyway, a full whiff brings in the oak chips and burnt/toasty nut smell.

T: The taste is awesome!! So much going on it is hard to explain and the aftertaste last for a very long time. The bitterness is just right and the alcohol feels so good when it touches your lips. Mmmm.

M: The brew traveled fine and the mouthfeel is good enough for me.

D: So happy I decided to try this one today. Will be looking forward to more Stone brews in the future. Definitely have to find this in the Midwest. Thanks to msbulldog25 for this brew!!

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Ruby Red Amber and brilliantly clear. White head lingers a little.
S: Slight caramel sweetness, little to no hops
T: Hoppy/Oak flavor, kinda nutty w/ a dry oak after taste. Moderate-high bitterness and smooth alcohol.
M: Medium full body complements the bitterness very well.
D: If you can handle the hop/oak flavor/bitterness this is very drinkable

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

This was really good. I'm not sure exactly what "Oak Aged" means, but if they just added wood chips into Arrogant Bastard and let them soak for awhile, I would say it added a slight sharpness to the taste. It still has a nice, smooth dark flavor to it, but I could almost get the taste of cut wood somewhere in the mix.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The head was minimal and quickly disappeared into nothing but a thin foam ring with some bubbly continents in the middle. A murky red-copper color, kind of like Dr. Pepper, but with lots of fine sediment flecks throughout. at the end there was a small pile of dark brown sediment on the bottom of my glass.

S: A spicy hoppy smell up front with a hint of coriander and it leaves a slight tingle in the nostrils. The smell is great and strong, but lacks endurance.

T: There is a lot going on here. Starts out with a subtle, slightly sweet orange zest flavor that transitions into a spicy, tongue tingling, cock-punching, hoppyness. After the swallow you get a lingering bitterness.

M: smooth at first, then it seams to foam up your mouth even though the carbonation is mild. It gives your tongue a good tingle, then leaves you with dry bitterness like an ex girlfriend.

D: I could easily drink a bomber of this, but after that i would probably prefer to mix it up with something else. The hops are intense and delicious, but the bitterness yearns for something more soothing afterward. like a cuddle.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

I've been wanting to try this for a while, but couldn't bring myself to cough up the $20 per six pack. And then bam! I was browsing the singles section at beer run and they had one for tree fiddy. This stuff is nice. It's got a beautiful color, smell, and taste. It's really smooth and drinkable. I think it may be worth the $20 next time.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

I bought a single bottle of this from my favorite beer playground, knowing that I wouldn't be able to find this (or anything from Stone in my state).

While it is clearly not a Red (Irish) ale, it is the first red colored beer that I have liked. While it is an excellent beer its not quite as exciting as I had hoped for....but my expectations for a stronger taste of the wood aging may have been misplaced.

I havent tried Arrogant Bastard so I cant differentiate the oak from what it was otherwise. Not too much head from the beer, but a healthy dose of hops (while strong, hops are far toned down from Stone IPA....which is a great beer...with the less hops it is quite a lot more drinkable, which while making for pleasant drinking, quite painful at $16/six-pack where i saw it.

Overall, an excellent beer but i dont think that i would pony up the additional $10/sixpack if it was sitting next to Stone IPA on the shelf.

Beer is deceptively smooth (I'm really not noticing that its 7.2% abv, which while I am used to that, it seems to be disappearing quite quickly (so yes, i like it!....just not quite what i expected, which was a heck of a lot). And in all fairness, I may not be educated enough to distinguish wood aging unless it is quite pungent, which wouldnt necessarily be the best way of presenting said aroma/taste.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.