Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,046 | Reviews: 1,848
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

3.91/5  rDev -6.9%

I had this one on tap at the Red Coat Tavern in Royal Oak, MI.

Wow, this is a totally different beer than the AB I had from the bottle a few weeks ago. Maybe it's the oak aging or that it was served on tap, but the hop bitterness was toned down.

Appearance was blase due to the fact that there was no head or any lacing. My first sip I was hit by a whallop of fruitiness, and after that I got the hops. Only after slurping it a bit could I taste the oak. I guess this is the first Stone that I liked(I haven't had their stouts yet), so maybe I'll sample a few more.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Pours a deep ruby-brown with an initially healthy 2-finger tan head that laces rather thickly.

S: Initial aroma of sweet, bready malts, with floral hops poking out.

T: Hop bitterness, slightly soapy, invades at first, as with a typical Stone brew. Slicht caramel maltiness breaks through, with a slight fleck of woody alcohol notes on the mid-palette. The hops, though slightly dissipating from the start, tend to return and take over the finish. Rather interesting, but at times distracting from the sweetness tasted earlier.

M: Medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation that catalyzes the reintroduction of hop bitterness. This factor I do like.

D: Ten bucks a six-pack would warrant a special occasion purchase, but something about Stone keeps me coming back for more. The 7.2 abv hits me a little harder than brews of this strength, yet I think I'm on an empty stomach.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Pours a dark rich amber color with a hint of cloudiness. The head is small and brown in color. The carbonation looks a little light but looks nice against the slightly cloudy appearance.

S - Nice smoky oak smell. I can't wait to try this beer!

T - Great taste with a nice and smooth bitter hoppy flavor. The oak is well balanced with the nutty flavor. Great hops and malts and finishes very well.

M - Great feel, not too bitter but still strong. The carbonation is subtle and finishes very nice.

D - Very drinkable though the flavor is a little strong if your having more than one or two. Great beer!

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - It has a sort of dark walnut color. Slightly cloudy, and a medium sized, tannish head. The head lasted for a very long time, and there was a nice amount of lacing.

S - I smell wood. This definitely delivers on the oak name. It has that classic ale smell with a bit of a hop bite to it.

T - This has a pretty good flavor. You can really taste the wood aged flavors, as well as some nuttiness. There is some bitter hops, as well as some spices and malt.

M/D - The carbonation is just right on this one. The strong wood flavor and hops makes this slightly harder to drink, but it is good. It has a heavy viscous feel to it.

Bottom Line: This is a high quality ale, you can tell it has been well crafted. The appearance and smell make it pretty top notch, and it delivers on the oak. It is a bit strong to drink a large amount of, but it would go nicely with some dinner.

~Cheers

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A luscious slightly cloudy brown beer with a two inch light tan foamy head. This is a damned attractive looking beer.

Smell: Sweet malt, an almost raisney smell. I can detect a bit of oak in the nose, but it isn't overpowering.

Taste: A slight bitterness with a strong sweet note is detected on the first sip. As I drink the beer, the bitterness becomes more prominent. I think the oak flavor is related to the strengthening of the bitterness as I drink the beer. The initial flavor is good, but the oak is really overwhelming my palette. The flavor is good, but I would like a little more sweetness to compliment the oak, or less oak flavor.

Mouthfeel: Good, but it doesn't stand out as anything amazing. There is a good light carbonation and a nice rich thickness.

Drinkability: With the alcohol percentage coupled with the palette crushing oak drinking more then one 12 ounce bottle in a sitting won't happen. I will drink this beer again,but this is a one/night treat.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Beer pours up nicely with a lingering soft, foamy head. The aroma is dark malt and warm brown sugar. The flavor has a lot well-rounded roasted malt character, with some faint chocolate. The bitterness from the malt and hops plays well with the sweet aroma. The mouthfeel, my favorite part, makes this beer truly extraordinary: thick, almost creamy. Alcohol comes in at a reasonable 7.2%, making this beer a good one to share with friends who might not be the biggest beer geeks. Thanks Stone, I'll definitely be picking up some more.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish brown with a thick creamy off white head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

Smell is very complex. Molasses, pine, alcohol.

Taste is very well rounded across the pallet. Oak, molasses, hops, and a nice alcohol burn at the end.

Overall, a very nice complex beer.

1.5/5  rDev -64.3%

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

I was able to enjoy a 12 ounce bottle of this recently, unfortunately the best by date had passed, but I found this to be a very enjoyable beer. The taste wasn't as significantly different than I was lead to believe, but just like most other Stone brews I found this overall satisfying. The price is pretty high in Denver, but it certainly isn't unreasonable.

4.41/5  rDev +5%

Didn't really examine the beer. Was having dinner with it.

A: Nice dark brown with a slightly brownish- white, 1 finger thick head. With superb lacing, Probably even nicer than Duvel.

S: Didn't really examine the smell. But I could get a nice clean hop note.

T: Nice bitter, not too overpowering. Bitterness just about right. Nice hops note. Smooth on the palate.

M: Clean, no carbonation, smooth as a whistle. Very drinkable.

O: Fantastic go to beer for a night out. Not too heavy to down a few pints, but strong enough to taste great.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

A: deep brownish red color, with a small tan head.

S: smells like bastard, but a bit sweeter, the hops are still present, but you can definitely tell they're more toned down due to the oak.

T: bastard toned down, woodyness is very mild, a sweet flavor I didn't notice in the original, and the hops are less obvious. definitely prefer the normal AB.

M: fantastic, easy to drink, medium carbonation

O: I enjoyed this greatly, as I do with every single Stone creation I've ever tried, but I still prefer the original better. Wish they had that available in 12oz six packs.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance: red brown color with an off white thick head with good retention and lacing on the glass
Smell: pine hobs and oak
Taste: bitterness with a pine oak and hop flavor
mouthfeel: full bodied with solid feel and crisp aftertaste
Drinkability: good not my favorite Stone but i will give it another try.

22oz bomber

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.