Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,065 | Reviews: 1,848
4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle obtained through Double Trouble BIF

This is a beer I have been looking forward to trying. The color is a cloudy mahogany with a decent head. Smell is a little bit like fresh cut firewood. The taste has just a hint of the oak showing. Fair. I wouldn't take this above regular Arrogant Bastard. Do not misunderstand that comment though. Both are solid brews. Try this of you have the chance.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle bought as part of a 6-pack from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" orangey tan head over the slightly cloudy orangey brown brew. Head lasts nicely, with plentiful delicate lacing. Aroma is lightly woody, strong citrus and pine hops, and alcohol wafts in at the end. Taste is dominated by citrus hoppiness, with pleasing warmth upon the swallow. Maybe even a little numbness in the mouth. Mouthfeel is very smooth, and drinkability is very easy. Not quite the same beer I remember having on tap, but that was a composite of a fresh and aged sample, and it was a long Stone Night at the M&D last January.

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

Kudos to Stone for joining the raging oak trend. I love what oak can do for a beer. I had a hard time with this one though. There was too much going on. The hops dominated my brew and really didn't seem to let much of the oak or malt body come through. Maybe aging will help but to me that seems a cop out and my score is reflective of my tasting. I preferred the regular AB to this one. Apparently I am not worthy per the bottle:-)

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

A good looking pour. A little less dark than orig AB to me, dark ruby with a thick one finger head that sticks around.

Smells like pure goodness. Perfect balance between hops and malt with a bit of vanilla.

Hops hit good and hard with carmal and pine following. The vanilla comes through, guess thats what I'm associating the oak with.

Feels like this should be around all year. But if that was the case how often would I have an AB and would I really appreciate the oak?

Going to try my hardest to age a few but one, two, three, or four of these when needed is recomended. Keep in mind these are baby 12oz. Drinkability depends on how many you invested in.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Not enough Stone to go around, I'm definitely glad they downed the portion size on this one from last year's 3L and draft releases of it. 12oz much more accessible to most of us East coasters, anyways it appearsa cloudy ruby amber brown with a large foaming beige toffee toned head looks good, real good leaves even lacing in a uniform fashion around my chalice. Aroma contains moderate oak with a piney hop edge and citrus grassy notes in there as well, touch of anise or other spice effect going on for me with mild vanilla softness overall hops shine and really unite with the alcohol great smelling brewski. Flvors is great mild sharp sweet malt caramel qualities with abrassive arrogant hop doses including herbal, pine, and mild citrus peel bursts definitely some woody character somewhat minty expression as well a somewhat tamed but oh so flavorful version of Arrogant Bastard. Mouthfeel is medium to fuller in body with strudy carbonation to carry all that the gravity, definitely coats the palate and gives you that I need to brush my teeth to get the enamel back to normal feel, due to the substantial oily hop resins flowing down the palate. Drinkability is actually amazing one of those rounded out Bastards is something I could go for anytime, I definitely need to pick up a few more.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours the color of a tarnished copper still and develops a creamy, 3-finger head in the tulip glass. Recedes to a tenacious ring that leaves moderate lacing.

Smells familiarly Bastardly - wonderfully piney, and grapefruit-like with a minty-herbal edge. Smooth and seductive vanilla-bean shows through, and then a faint caramely character appears.

Taste is a wave of citrusy, piney hops at first – a wonderful, herbal bouquet of grapefruit and the floor of an evergreen forest. Herbal character is strong (mint and maybe lavender again are suggested) and give a perfume-like effervescence. Burnt toffee and caramel give a sturdy, slightly smoky malt-backbone that is huge considering how it balances the hops. The finish comes back to a crisp hoppiness. Ohhh, and dry oak was in the finish.

Full and luxurious in the mouth and a very pleasant sipper. Fine, active conditioning gives the hop bitterness a nudge, but nothing distracting (it’s an Arrogant Bastard, after all!). It’s a pleasure to see the Oak-character develop as it warms and the oak is done is a noticeable but not overpowering way, giving a refined edge to the Bastard. An awesome beer that I hope against all odds will remain in smaller than the 3L size in the future.

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

Sampled: 1.5.07

Appearance of this brew is of reddish liquefied light caramel underneath a thick head. Head is dense and colored of a darker shade of eggnog. Some lacing clings.

The aroma is quite hoppy, full of juicy citrus notes. A quite peculiar and unique quality comes through on deeper inhalations, that seems to be a rich earthy honey like smell. And I mean, like, real honey; as in straight from the hive. I can only assume this comes from the wood aging, as it does not smell of what I remember from regular AB.

The flavor is immediately bitter, the particular style of hops jumping up, no doubt. The earthy honey sweetness comes though, and balances with the hop fruitiness. Its carbonation is in the mid range and coats the mouth with hop oiliness.

The beer is quite rich and a slow drinker, one 12 ouncer was more than enough. I liked it, but I didn’t think it really improved upon Arrogant Bastard, so I most likely won’t get it again. With a tag of oak aging, I was hoping for more complexity. The unique aroma & flavor described, really wasn’t that appealing to me, so I was let down somewhat in that respect. But hey, you win some, you lose some.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 fl oz brown bottle, served in an oversized wine glass.

Rustic, semi-cloudy maple with a mahogany tint. Creamy, light brown head that lingers as a thick sheet and cakes the wine glass' sides. Very durable, ringed and spotted lacing around the entire glass.

Semi-sweet light cream, honey, and vanilla. Mild toffee and a generous whaff of brown sugar. Rounded, vinous fruity esters: apple, grape; even tones of honeydew. Dry hints of oak and just a touch of sharp alcohol.

Light hints of tartness provided by some fruity esters: orange, apple, and melon. The malt character soon overtakes what is left of the citric flavors, and gives a creamy milk chocolate and light caramel flavor profile. An assertive hop bite with dry tones from the oak leave a surprisingly creamy, yet earthen aftertaste.

Full in body; creamy, earthen, and smooth. Even though there's a lot going on in this Strong Ale, it's very well rounded and proportioned.

Although I really enjoy the regular bastard, the wood chips adds some complexity in flavor and masks the alcohol even more. A ballsy, well crafted bastard.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Pours a deep walnut color with a rich dark tan head that is dense and lingers a while. After the head falls to a ring it leaves some nice sheet lace all down my glass.

Aroma is rich malty good deep citrus hops underneath. Some fruits are present and appear with vanilla hints, dry woody notes.

Taste is lots of rich malts, caramel toffee hints along with dry wood and vanilla flavors that linger thru the finish. The oak seems to mellow the Bastard a little. Still hoppy but vanilla seems to knock it down a notch. The hops also seem to add to the fruitiness and lingering spice.

Mouthfeel is a heavy medium nice mellow carbonation.

Drinkability is good an enjoyable Strong Ale, the Oak adds more character but also mellows the bastard some. But overall good but just as soon have a regular Bastard for the price. Thanks go to merlin48 for this sample.

3.7/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As much as I loved the regular ABA, the Oaked version just didn't do it for me. My wife prefers the oaked version, but I think it masks the great balance of hops/maltiness in the regular ABA and leaves a slightly acidic aftertaste in your mouth. Still a terrific beer, but I prefer the non-oaked version.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into my DFH pint glass the color of dark brewed iced tea with an inch of off white head that slowly fades and leaves a slight lacing. Smells of caramel malts, grapefruit, toasted grain. Tastes of rich, oakey wood, sweet malt, mildly bitter grapefruit and citrus. Hop bitterness comes through in the finish. Very smooth and mellow with medium carbonation. A nicely balanced beer. I could drink a few of these in an evening.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

With great thanks to SkinnyElvis for this one
12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Chunky tan head that leaves perfect rings of lace on the glass. Color is a dark chestnut brown with ruby highlights when held to the light.
Smell has a more pronounced grapefruit hops bitterness than I remember he regular AB having. Taste is so smooth. The malt sweetness blends with a slight resiny hops bitterness, Citrus and floral notes swirl around as I swallow.
This is one of the smoothest beers I've ever had. It just glides down my throat. So good!

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Pours a beautiful head that falls, but doesn't dissapate. It has a great lacing that follows the length of the glass. Brown color is dark and not too cloudy, looks great. It smells like a maltier beer with a slight hint of woodiness. The flavor is pretty bitter with hops and very malty and the woodiness really comes out in the finish. The mouthfeel was very good, no bite, nothing but pretty smooth stuff. The drinkability was very nice, I will enjoy my next few.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

This one looks like a dark and an ever so slightly cloudy iced tea with a slight bit of peach to it. The head is a simple off white irregular foam that leaves some nice lace behind.

The most prominent smell I get here is bananas; slightly real, slightly laughy-taffy. There’s also a slight airy grain here backed by a slight grassy hop. Weird…

Tastes of dark caramel and a sticky, sappy oak that is immediately followed by a grapefruit and pine hop that seems to float around my mouth while being wonderfully contained by the heavy caramel malt. Dries my tongue in the finish.

Feels light to medium bodied with a light and soft carbonation.

I expected more from this one. I’m really not sure where to place this on taste alone as it doesn’t remind me much of the original AB. It’s not bad by far, but maybe a little confusing.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

My my my...
that oak really shines through. it's like the regular AB only it has a sweeter woodsy aroma, like it was roasted on the campfire. pours with a decent head that retains for a while and has some nice laciness around the rim.

Wow!
that's so much better tasting than the regular bombers i am used to. god i wish i could have this on tap. it tastes so smooth and feels so good! i don't know how to describe it accurately. this is more of an experience than something i can put into words.

this really makes me wish that i could find oak aged double bastard. if the oak aging does this to the regular arrogant bastard, i couldn't imagine how much more amazing the double bastard could taste.

stone is my lord and shepard!

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversized wine glass, it yields a slightly hazy brownish-amber body with mahogany highlights and a 1/2-finger tan head that quickly recedes to a thin sheet. Some clumps of lacing stick to the side of the glass with each sip and slowly crawl down the side of the glass back to the beer.

S: Malty scents up front -- grainy, toasted cereal and caramel -- and then wet oak. Some hints of vanilla as it warms, as well as pine. A real nice nose to it.

T: Dominated at first by oak -- young oak, it seems. Hops make themselves known in a metallic, minerally tang at the end of each sip, but the lingering taste is still oak. As it warms (and your palate gets a tad bit adjusted to that oak taste), it becomes fruitier and sweeter, with caramel and a hint of vanilla peaking through at the start of each sip. Alcohol spice also becomes evident as it warms, and I can begin to feel the alcohol warmth on the way down. Even as it warms, however, it's still real oaky at the finish, leaving a lingering taste of wood -- at times I felt it was pine, perhaps from the hops? -- but mainly just plain oak.

M: Medium-bodied and fairly low in carbonation. Pretty smooth all around in feel despite the dominant oaky flavors that really assault the mouth. Feels even smoother as it warms.

D: Good. Not "very good" (a 4.5 in my books) or "excellent" (a 5), but good. The oak feels young and is just too dominant, methinks, to make this an easy-drinking quaffing ale. In many ways it mellowed as it warmed and became easier to drink towards the bottom of the glass. I'll keep that in mind and let the bottle warm up a bit next time. . . .

Notes: I was mildly disappointed with this beer -- my 100th review on BA -- as it tastes right now. I paid $15.99 for a 6-pack, have enjoyed the regular AB in the past, love pretty much all the Stone offerings and have heard some pretty nice reviews (here and from friends); so maybe my expectations were a tad bit too high. I thought the oak imparted just too much of an astringent woodsy flavor -- I definitely get the sense that this somewhat harsh, acidic flavor came from oak chips rather than the more mellow experience that would come from barrels. Perhaps some aging will allow that caramel and vanilla flavor to come out more, and like I said, next time I'll try it a little bit warmer. Still a very good beer with the oak being an interesting addition, it's just not another awe-inspiring concoction from Stone. Either that or maybe I'm just not worthy.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz bottle. Hazy amber orange with a thin head.

Grapefruit aromas dominate. Light caramel and vanilla appear as it warms.

Flavor is mostly grapefruity hops, with some light caramel. Oak is not very prevalent, except for a dry woodiness on the finish.

Not noticeably different than regular AB, maybe aging will bring out the oak more.

2.63/5  rDev -37.4%

Brown body with a off white head,leaves a ring around the glass.Nice lacing also

faint Arrogant Bastard smell

Very tasty. as the beer ages it becomes very good and less bitter but still retains its Oaked flavor,its malt flavor shows up also.Its becomes less hoppy which I love.The booze is still there its still a little hard to drink

Creamy and easy going and very malty,nice carbonation also.

I think the beer has lost its kick, I had it for ther first time on xmas eve 06 and it was very bitter and now its a mear shadow of it self.I will say drink fresh whenever possible and drink it all up cause when it gets soft,its not like the Bastard its meant to be.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Dark red color, off-white head that retains somewhat, but leaves no lacing. Lightly toasted smell, oak and pine make up the majority of the smell. Not overpowering, but still nice. Smooth malty flavors at the forefront, moving into oak flavors that are greeted with a bit of a piney/oak finish. Less than medium carbonation, medium bodied. This is very smooth, I think this is my favorite of the "Bastard" series. Definitely would buy again.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer has a warm amber red body with a creamy tan head that fades to a thick ring around the rim and leave a sip line after each drink.

S- This beer has a toasted malt note with a slight sweetness and some dark toasted notes in the background. There is a piney green hop finish. As it warms the soft note of wet wood comes through as does a caramel malt aroma.

T- This beer has a big oaky taste for the first few sips but the hoppy grapefruit note comes through. The big hoppy bitterness is the major player in this beer. The hop bitterness hangs on after each sip and lingers for a while. There are some sweet caramel malt notes that start to come through after the hops senses die off.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat at all.

D- This beer has a big bitterness punch from the hops which is nice but
it really makes me crave some hops flavors that are missing. The flavors are blended very nicely making this a smooth drinking beer with some nice big flavors.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

The body is reminds me of a pale ale diluted with a triple. Very nice to look at with a boisterous head and tons of lacing. It collects along the sides of the glass as I drink and really is wonderful to look at.

Nose is of sharp pine, contrasted with sweet malt that reminds me of sugary cherries that have no trace of tartness whatsoever.

Taste begins bitter, then gives way to lots of malt sweetness and is covered up by the oak. It really tastes wonderful and I must say that this seems to me perhaps the perfet way to enjoy this beer. I like this beer without the oak but with it it somehow seems complete.

I'm so glad Stone finally gave us a way to buy this beer aside from in the massive magnums. It was definitely worth the wait.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Snagged a few bottles from Union Jack's in Glenside and poured at cellar temperature. You can smell the Oak clearly in the pint glass. The Oak flavor complements the Arrogant Bastard without overwhelming it. Easy to drink for a big beer but I like my brews strong. I am not a huge "Oaked" fan but this is a beer that pulls it off.

Cheers.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance - pours a pleasant iced tea color, a rather large head forms up quickly, posting rings and rings of thick lace all over.

Aroma - aggressive citrus and pine out of the gate, as expected. Just a slight wet wood odor, nearly imperceptible with the intense resinous thing going on. Develops some biscuity character and more easily detected oak as it sets up.

Taste - the bastard is as good as ever. Solid, heavy malt flavor in front, quickly layered with piny, resinous hops. The oak provides a soft edge more than an in your face oak or whiskey effect. It's great.The swallow gives rise to the full hop profile, going bitter with grapefruit rind and drying the palate considerably. The finish is just vaguely warm of alcohol, but mostly just a subdued hop burn.

Mouthfeel - smooth as can be, the carbonation is ramped up to match the intensity of flavors here - good idea.

Drinkability - a fun six pack to enjoy and share. Don't know if I'd buy it again, but it's one well put together brew.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a snifter, the beer pours a reddish/brown, with a small tan head. It smells like citrusy and piney hops, some wood (oak), and caramel. It tastes like bitter hops, wood/oak, and a bit of sweet malt. Not too bad. It starts bitter, then is sweet, then has a bitter lingering hop finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy, and also a bit oily. The drinkability is good, but not great. It's still a good beer, but I like the regular Arrogant Bastard Ale better.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks Akorsak for the trade.

Pours a deep, rich reddish gold with a tan, long lasting head. Aroma wasn't impressive by itself, but has a subtle depth that works well with the taste. Citrus and faint wood. Hops upfront with a strong malt backbone, a dry finish, then the wood comes out at the very end. Long lasting aftertaste, as if dry hopping is going on in my mouth. Very round and satisfying mouthfeel, more substantial than most IPAs, medium carbonation. Drinkability is excellent, even with the strong palate of flavors.

Very reminiscent of European beers. Strong but balanced with layers of depth.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.