Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

I had the oaked AB in a glass stein.

Appearance- The half-finger of egg - shell, custard foam is nice and smooth. The body is a dark amber with copper highlights.

Smell- The nose is sweet and estery with a slight oak and vanilla scent.There are also some flavor hops in play that give the nose a tangerine and grapefruit impression.

Taste- The bitterness is readily apparent at the front of the drink. It is also prominently sweet with tangerines and a hint of oakiness and vanilla. That bitterness really sticks to the cheeks! There is more of the vanilla and oak in the finish.

Mouth feel- The body is very creamy and the carbonation is well done. This is a very easy drink considering how bitter it is.

Overall- The oak and vanilla flavors imparted compliment this bitter monster in a fantastic way. On top of that, the feel makes this enjoyable beer even better. I would have this again, gladly.

2.5/5  rDev -40.5%

1.5/5  rDev -64.3%

First had: bottle from ?

I've had this a few times, but I'm not sure where I first tried it. Strange that I haven't reviewed it yet, but oh well.

Pours a dark brown with amber tints, a small, solid cap of white head that leaves some attractive lacing on the glass. Sweet aroma, caramel and malty goodness, boozy oak, vanilla. Taste follows the aroma, sweet caramel, burnt caramel, oak, hints of booze and vanilla, strong with a bitter finish infused with notes of citrus pith and pine needles. Mouthfeel is full but not too heavy. Another heavy hitter from Stone, very good overall, but not for lightweights.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Review is of 09/10 side by side. Picked out qualities of both.

Murky light brown/red color. Well above average head retention, good lacing.

Smells like candied caramel with some hoppiness.

Arrogant! Familiar. A little vanilla in there...mega hopped. Daddy like.

Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation.

May not be the best but definitely the quintessential oak aged strong ale. For sure worth a try!

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into my Chimay glass.

Appeared a slightly see through dark brown color with some red tones. Didn't pour it aggresively enough, so the head was pretty small and dissipated quickly.

Smelled of candied fruits, such as orange and grapefruit. Slight molasses smell at the tail.

Tastes great, suprisingly smooth with a nice hoppy finish. Sweeter than I anticipated. Not sure I detect the oak chips as much as I thought I would. Overall pretty tasty - I found myself taking another sip right after putting it down.

Medium mouthfeel - carbonation seems spot on. Left a nice burning hop sensation.

Overall this is a tasty brew. It was alot more drinkable than I anticipated. I find this to be more drinkable than regular Arrogant Bastard. Well done.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

3.57/5  rDev -15%

12 oz bottle into Duvel tulip (like a beer microscope)

A - A beautiful deep dark brown. Poured aggressively and achieved a nice two finger light tan head - looks healthy. Head eventually settles to a nice little layer with decent retention and re-formation, good lacing. Bottle artwork is pretty typical Stone machismo and tiny text. It's cool but I'm a little over it.

S - Not as strong as I'd expect - a pleasant but faint hop aroma. Some malt appeared as it warmed up.

T - Took a few sips while this was maybe a little too cold - I'll let it warm up a little. Even when cold, though, the flavor is complex and changes as it lingers. Pretty cool. Mostly hop flavor, for me. It's been too long since I've had the regular version, so it's hard for me to pinpoint the differences of this oak version. The oak isn't really pronounced. I honestly am not sure I'd even pick up on it without being told it's supposed to be there.

M - Smooth going down, surprisingly thin. A bitter aftertaste leaves a dry heat all over your mouth. This is where some of the flavor complexity reveals itself, though.

O - It's good, but I'm not going gaga over this beer. I actually wonder if it has to do with the glass. I'd like to try it again out of something closer to a pint glass. I have very fond memories of this from about a year ago, but this didn't live up. Maybe that's the problem? I don't know. Maybe I'm just not "worthy." Definitely worth trying. I'm sure I'll have it again.

4.41/5  rDev +5%

A- Dark orangish brown, a little bit hazy. About a quarter of finger of head slightly orange colored, good retention. Nice lacing that clings to the glass the entire time drinking.

S- Sweet hops smell. Smells great. Hops are the most prevalent, with a sweet vanilla smell (not the syrupy vanilla smell type). A bit of an oak smell as well.

T- A very sweet hoppy taste, but not overly sweet. The classic sweet hoppy grapefruit taste comes out. Light sweet/piney oak finish.

M- Very smooth and drinkable. Medium bodied. Very well balanced throughout. Leaves a great aftertaste that lingers in your mouth for awhile after drinking.

O- This was a great beer. I enjoyed this beer more and more with every sip. Perfect balance between hops and sweetness (reminded me a little bit of the 90 minute) and the oak definitely added a little bit of character to it. My only complaints are that I wish it was more affordable (payed $20 for a 6-pack), but it was definitely worth the price.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.