Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
WankelEngine

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: It’s moderately dark brown and slightly hazy with a reddish tint. There is a light tan head of maybe one finger with dissipates quickly, leaving a layer of foam on the top.

S: Smells delightfully of sweet malt. It is deep and earthy. There are notes of vanilla, and piney hops. There are fruity notes, with plum and citrus both being discernable.

T: The taste starts out maltier than I would have expected, but this quickly gives way to a dry hop flavor. There is a little bit of grapefruit flavor. The oak flavor is not too pronounced, but it adds a spiciness to the beer and a subtle earth tone. Finish is long and dry but not terribly bitter.

M: Fairly light with moderate carbonation. Very dry.

O: Delicious. Oak flavor gives it even more depth than the original bastard.

05-02-2011 06:15:20 | More by WankelEngine
ZenAgnostic

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance - Clear amber red body with an off white head.

Smell - Vanilla. Honey. Malt. Light grassiness. Smells great. Coffee.

Taste - Probably one of the most tasty IPAs I've ever had. Lighter than expected with some sweetness and plenty of bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Smooth with light bite. Mostly in the bitterness.

Overall Drinkability - This definitely made my list of top IPAs. I definitely recommend it. Has a good amount of complexity due to the sweetness you don't normally find in an IPA.

05-01-2011 00:15:27 | More by ZenAgnostic
BlastBeats

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

"The Arrogant Bastard Wood. Would You?"

Appearance: a dark red, almost ruby colored beer with a lightly colored off-white head that simmers on the surface for a while. The label reads "Ale Aged With American Oak Wood Chips" and proudly displays the Stone gargoyle that I'm sure we've all been accustomed to by now.

Smell: smells of tight fruit and alcohol.

Taste: the flavors from the oak chips permeate this beer in a magnificent way. The oak evens out this beer perfectly while adding a new, complex dimension to the taste. Like the other incarnations of the Arrogant Bastard, the strong grapefruit presence is maintained. Flavors of alcohol are certainly detectable, but kept nicely in check by the oak chips.

Mouthfeel: mild "bite" with reasonable carbonation.

Overall: in my opinion, the Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale is definitely superior to the "standard" Arrogant Bastard. Great stuff!

04-28-2011 07:19:48 | More by BlastBeats
plfahey

4.58/5  rDev +9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Truly blood red in color and brilliantly clear. Beige colored head with moderately good retention and some nice lacing. Lovely.

Aroma-Ass-kicking-not necessarily an a good or bad way, just I can already tell from the aroma that this is going to kick my ass. Pungent, minty, grapefruity hops and fresh oak wood with notes of sweet vanilla. Definite whiff of heady alcohol. Something sweet-coconut? bubblegum? Slight caramel malt is present as well. The aroma is evocative and intense, and the more I smell it, the more I like it.

Flavor-Wicked. Same smooth minty grapefruit hop flavor as the aroma. Sweet up front before moderately high hop bitterness kicks in. Flavors of toasted oak blend with the huge bitterness which grows to a crescendo in the finish. As the aftertaste carries on a slight caramel flavor grows alongside grapefruit flavors and a lingering, sticky bitterness.

Mouthfeel-Medium body with moderate carbonation and puckering bitterness. Still is pretty smooth with low alcohol warmth.

This beer is absurd in its complexity. Delicious, powerful, and downright intriguing. When fresh, this beer is a masterpiece.

04-26-2011 03:48:22 | More by plfahey
Avantyawn

2.83/5  rDev -32.6%

12 ounce bottle poured into imperial pint glass

A: Amazing looking deep amber brown with a huge head. Truly excellent looking.

S: I initially thought it smelled amazing, but the woody grain oakness is turning me off a bit even though, the fresh hoppy oily arrogant bastard of course smells amazing.

T: You know, I absolutely love Arrogant Bastard, but I am not digging the oaked treatment. I feel like I am drinking Arrogant Bastard and then licking an oak barrel. I don't quite get it...It just does not taste good to me.

M: The beer has a great mouthfeel, but the chalkiness of the dry oak I do not enjoy.

O: Overall, I love Arrogant Bastard, but not this version. Sort of a weak review, but I've already reviewed Arrogant Bastard to much acclaim, and just am not digging this variation.

04-26-2011 01:19:17 | More by Avantyawn
jsh420

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

pours clear ruby brown with a 1 finger off white head that left lacing all down the glass

smells like their ipa - lots of pine and grapefruit

taste - while i was disappointed it didnt have the oak aged flavors i was looking forward to it did still taste good - a very balanced dipa? hops punch you in the face to start then the nutty caramel malts come through on the finish

mouthfeel - medium body with good carbonation very smooth and creamy

overall this beer takes a huge hit based on its price $18 a sixer - - how in the world did they come up with this price

04-25-2011 04:23:43 | More by jsh420
daledeee

Iowa

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

An aged arrogant bastard. Some people call me that too!!

I poured this into my Hennepin glass. Very dark brown with reddish tint. Nice off white head and great lacing.

Aroma is nice grapefruit with wood and a tinge of vanilla.

Taste is worth the extra few bucks. Very up front with the initial sip. Lots of hop bitterness. Not quite grapefruit but really citrus rind inclinations. Great malt balance and not overly sweet, but just enough. This is one powerfully flavored beer, but enjoyable.

Mouth feel is quite creamy with good carbonation. Finish has yet another dose of bitterness.

Hopheads should delight in this one. Yeah, I know it has malt, but boy does it have hops too. Although this is aged with oak, I didn't notice an overwhelming leaning toward wood. Just enough to make this a really great beer. Highly recommended.

04-24-2011 00:07:37 | More by daledeee
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.03/5  rDev -4%

pour was a deep ruby red with a light brown mixed in. big creamy head that hung around forever.

lots of grapefruit with a light oak and vanilla mixed in. sweet candied malt.

this must have been the freshest i have ever had this, it was very hoppy which really helped tame the oak flavor. the big grapefruit and citrus really bonded well with the vanilla and oak.

very full, medium carbonation. oily like.

this was good, the best i've ever had oaked bastard.

04-22-2011 17:36:48 | More by hooliganlife
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A hope there’s a good reason why this is twice the price of the original Arrogant Bastard Ale at my local liquor store. Let's see:

A: Thick ruby red body with a thin tan head. Nice and dark.

S: Not a lot of nose on this one. Bit of hops with a faint hint of citrus. Touch of smokiness here and there. I’m definitely anticipating a much bigger taste than these aromas are leading me to believe.

T: Much bigger, indeed. To be honest, I didn’t really expect a whole lot of difference between this and Stone’s original ale. This, though, is definitely a more grown-up Bastard. A mellow sweetness comes across the entire palate, from first sip to last. A big Stone flash of hops comes first, heightened by floral notes and citrus. There’s a syrupy, almost candy-like bit of something in there as well (licorice/plum?). And it’s all rounded off with a dark, smoky booziness. Overall, a big, oaky body that is dry in the best way possible. Excellent.

M: A very smooth drink. Subtle carbonation gives more drinkability to this relatively heavy beer.

O: A damn good brew. I’m definitely a lot more eager to try the “Oaked” counterparts of my other favorites now that I’ve seen what a difference oak-aging can do. Definitely worth the price difference, down to the last penny.

04-22-2011 04:24:38 | More by BarryMFBurton
MoreThanWine

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Poured a 2" head with a body packed with effervesence. Lovely auburn red color blows me away. Smell was milder than I expected, some maltiness and hops. Taste at first sip seems a little salty, but a richness and hoppiness still comes through. Honestly I think the oaking cut the power of the hops down from the unoaked version. And why chips vs oak barrels? Chips are what less reputable vintners use in wine (cheaper, and although I think it's a similar effect I swear I can taste the difference in wines too). All in all this is an excellent beer but I prefer the unoaked version, which I scored higher.

04-21-2011 08:36:52 | More by MoreThanWine
ineva

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a Snifter Glass.

A:A Rufous dark cherry with a light toffee 2 1/2 finger head. A Legitimate viscous lacing, rigid cloud 9 fluff.

S:Licorish sweet wet oak. Citrus grapes.

T:Vanilla warmth. Sweet toothsome caramel ego. Pistachio buttery bark.

M:Soothing fluent stirred fluid, that flawlessly flushes stabled velvet swagger down, like succulent flutter.

O:The inception of its tale.

04-21-2011 06:24:55 | More by ineva
HattedClassic

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: A beautiful orangish and slightly brown amber. I poured a one finger tan head that is still there after 30 minutes.

Smell: A complex mix of hops and sweet caramel malts. The hops appear to be more earthly. Surprisingly, I get none of the oak and a small hint of vanilla that usually accompanies oak aged beers and I think the beer is the better for it.

Taste: Same as the smell but the malts are more pronounced and complement the hops. I can detect a little bit of the oak towards the end and bitter aftertaste that seems to linger for quite a while.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation with a smooth body and slightly creamy finish.

Overall: The Oaked Arrogant Bastard is the first real microbrew that I've had after discovering craft beers. I'm glad that I found the time to review this beer after drinking it for the first time. The beer is great with its strong taste and smell. What I don't like is the price of a six-pack (17.99 is kinda of steep.).

04-20-2011 17:06:06 | More by HattedClassic
ludachris

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

The body is a deep, burnt murky amber hue that gives off honey amber highlights when held up to the light. A finger and a half of frothy and thick egg shell white head makes this beer look great in my tulip glass.

A rich, almost onion-like hoppiness is the first thing that jumps out at me. I also get musty pine notes that lie on top of grapefruit and lemon peel. A sweet and toasy malt character takes some digging to find but provides a welcomed sweetness. I have yet to have the original Arrogant Bastard so I can't pick out the differences, but I can say that, besides a slight woody note, I get next to no oak or vanilla.

The hop character that hits the palate first is hard to describe. It's something like an earthy herbal bitterness that leans towards being astringent. As it goes on, the bitterness becomes more pine-like with the addition of grapefruit rhine. A delicate sweet toasty malt character hangs out in the back as the hops do their thing. The oak aging is much more apparent in the taste, giving off notes of smokey wood and charcoal.

Medium bodied and smooth in the mouth. The level of carbonation helps to accentuate the hop bitterness which seems to largely be what this beer is centered on. The oak aging is apparent in the feel as well, giving the beer a delicate and creamy texture.

All in all, this is a solid, interesting and complex ASA. I'm happy to say that I've never really had a beer like this before and I enjoyed the experience. One day in the future I'll have this with the regular version to help me appreciate what the oak aging has done for this beer. This marks my first offering I've had from Stone and it's sure not to be the last.

04-19-2011 03:17:20 | More by ludachris
flannelman808

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Say what you want but you have got to hand it to stone for making every one of their beers look damn amazing. This one is a gorgeous auburn brown color and semi opaque. A dare I say perfect rocky head forms which is a light tan color and clings to the glass about as well as it holds together. Pancakes are ready.

S: Caramel, burnt sugar and woody note dominate the nose.

T: Nice balance between sweet caramel malty notes and the bitterness one expects from a stone brew. The oak is there but somewhat subtle. The drying woody and subtly vanilla flavors oak provides do however compliment the aforementioned base profile. All and all this is not the most complex brew, but it goes good with a burger and is a pinnacle of the style.

M: sticky

O: Good stuff but fairly one or two dimensional. This is not an A+ beer ... I don't get it!?

Serving type: growler

04-19-2011 00:23:09 | More by flannelman808
jthomp000

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Was skeptical at first, not of the beer, but the fact that I stumbled on to this one in the "scratch and dent" corner of my new favorite beer distributor. A quick google search showed that the product date stamped on the side of the case, I should be "within spec" for the lack of a better term.

Appearance - Poured a dark amber/copper color (almost brown) with a tan head.

Smell - Smells sweet like carmel

Taste - Tastes of wood and charcoal

Mouthfeel - light to medium bodied with little carbonation

Overall - Very glad I took a "chance" on this one; I do not regret it. Have never had the regular Arrogant Bastard, but it is on my "to-do" list for sure!

04-18-2011 22:29:18 | More by jthomp000
ggilman

Maine

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured down the middle of a tulip glass from a 12oz. bottle, produces a one finger foamy head, that settles quickly with minimal lacing. The hazy, sediment filled dark ruby tobacco burst strong ale gives off unidentified fruit and sweetness in the nose. I was beginning to have my doubts about this bastard of a beer until I tasted it. Wow! Rich and complex. Bitterness up front and all around, evens out with a caramel malt finish. The bitterness lingers, without any leafy hop presence. Smoky, roasty, oak notes with hints of vanilla. Alcohol and fruity esters start to appear as you work your way through the pint. The imparted oak characteristics coat your mouth, and become present in great depth. It's starting to taste like a campfire. As it warms, bitterness increases up front with currant, tobacco and chocolate. I can't get over how much is coming out of this beer. Roasted malts start to dominate at the end. The flavor of this beer is it's strong point, but the mouthfeel is a close second. Crisp carbonation pairs well with a medium-thick body. The 7.2% is like a smack in the face from the gargoyle who sits on the front of the bottle, daring you to drink. Thank you sir, may I have another! I'm not worthy!

04-18-2011 22:24:02 | More by ggilman
mattgreger

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Beer of the Night - Stone Brewing Company - Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - American Strong Ale - 7.20% ABV

Picked this bottle up in Capones Bottle Shop In East Norriton.

The pour on this brew was very nice. As you look at the colors, it is a dark brown, a bit of reddish streaks throughout. It had a great, light tan head that had a little bit of retention that last just a few minutes. This brew left a great lacing as it slide down the sides of snifter that I had poured it into.

The aroma on this brew is also very nice. It has a great smokey, wood aroma that comes out in the front of this brew. It quickly feeds into a great aroma of floral hops, which comes with some sugars and just a touch of alcohol bourbon. As the brew sits and warms, the Oak is present more then ever, and is a great addition to the already good Arrogant Bastard. It finishes with some more of the nice bourbon notes and the hops, that comes off nice and citrussy.

This is a great tasting brew. Its super complex and gets better as the brew warms in the glass. The flavors follow the aromas pretty well. There are some great notes of chocolate, toffee/coffee, bourbon, and a great smokey, oak flavor. It has a great hop bitterness as well. They aren't overkill though, because the oaked process mellowed them out and gives this brew an almost stout likeness. The warming of the brew gives life to the name sake of the it, but putting forward, the bourbon, oak, and smokey flavors. Its a great brew.

The mouthful on this brew is very good. It has that alcohol tingle, the hoppy bitterness. This is a great medium bodied brew that gives you everything you look for in the style. Its smooth and packs a punch that gives you a run for the money, but leaves you wanting more.

Its kind of funny, you look at the bottle on this brew, and the label says "Your Not Worthy." Its very true. This brew is a great representation of the style. I have had the original Arrogant Bastard, which is also an amazing brew. This brew steps it down, but not in a bad way. It gives it a more reserved, almost elegant version of teh brew. It still hop strong and a great brew. I can't wait to get my hands on another bottle of this brew. Until you have tried other respresentions of this sytle, your truely Not Worthy to have this brew.

04-18-2011 21:02:54 | More by mattgreger
seeswo

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours golden brown with a big tan head that sits for a while. A touch of oak appears along side hops and a sugary caramel in the nose (or something like that). My wife thinks it smells like an asian sauce of some sort and, after the suggestion, I didn't disagree. The flavor is big hops atop that light caramel flavor with the faintest hint of oak. You could slip this past someone as Arrogant Bastard in my opinion without them knowing. That said, this is a very solid beer anyway. Big carb and a bit of lingering sweetness accompany the hoppy finish. Overall, a darn good beer, oak or little to no oak. A bit more complexity from the oak - vanilla and wood, would have melded with the caramel flavor and the hops to make a dream beer.

04-16-2011 01:36:04 | More by seeswo
Snow81

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Muddy amber that is thick and cloudy with big lace that sticks to the sides of my glass

Head: Dark rich tan head

Smell: Caramelized caramel glaze that is candy

Taste: Malty sweet dark bitter citric with a hint of heat on the back end

Weight: Heavy to medium body with low to medium carbonation

Finish: Sweet bitter hop

04-11-2011 15:43:33 | More by Snow81
explorer83

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Very good beer that I can't wait to cellar and compare to new regular Arrogant Bastard. The oak aging is evident, but the differences between this beer and KBS bourbon barrel-aged are numerous.

The oak aging adds depth to this decent beer, without being overbearing as would be the case if you bourbon/whiskey barrel-aged the beer.

04-10-2011 04:53:52 | More by explorer83
muletrane

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (best by 5/18/11) into a snifter.

A: Pours a murky dark brown with a reddish hue. Thick off white head with moderate lacing.

S: Sweet aroma overall with a little bit of hops and some oaky notes.

T: Nice well balanced flavor. Sweet up front, dry hop bitterness in the finish. Slightly oaky as well.

M: Moderately heavy body with light carbonation. Very dry bitter mouthfeel overall. Gets more and more dry as it warms. I definitely needed a palate cleanser after this one.

Overall this is a good offering from Stone. I enjoyed it more than original AB.

04-10-2011 02:11:24 | More by muletrane
Azurescens

Washington

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz bottle with no freshness date poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/9/11

A: Pours a dark red brown with fluffy beige head. Great retention and lots of rings of lacing left around glass.

S: Nothing really stands out too much in the nose, a blend of citrus and grassy hops, alcohol, and dark malt with a touch of oak.

T: Starts with a bitter hop bite that fades leaving a wonderfully balanced and complex taste of sweet hop resins, caramel malt, dark fruit and a nice woody vanilla note as well.

M: Nice and smooth, medium bodied and a noticible tingle from the moderate carbonation.

O: Good combination of hop, malt and oak flavors, they all blend really nicely with eachother witout any of them being overpowering.

04-10-2011 00:42:22 | More by Azurescens
Gatch

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Finally bought a 12-oz. bottle of Oaked Bastard. Been waiting to try it for years.

A - Copper in color with a fluffy, off-white head. Sticks to the glass like glue.

S - Woody of course, sweet malt, a bit of alcohol.

T - Delicious balance of sweetness and a bit a of hops on the finish. The sweet malt stays on the palate for a while.

M/D - Sweet but not cloying. Smooth without much carbonation. Every sip is enjoyable and gets better as it warms to room temperature. Very drinkable and definitely recommended.

04-09-2011 05:23:27 | More by Gatch
socon67

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours red/brown with a foamy head on top. Very dark and opaque with noticable carbonation.

S - Notes of pine, spice, and hoppiness.

T - This is a real mellow flavored strong ale. The early sweetness of caramel malts changes to a mixture of peppery spices, and ends with a tangible oaken finish. The rep from stone mentioned it is "infused" with this flavor. Pretty neat.

M - Very smooth for a stong ale, and the wood notes make it quite pleasant for the palate.

O - A unique and tasty beer. One of Stone's best!

Serving type: growler

04-08-2011 21:07:26 | More by socon67
rrski198

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Huge caramel billowy head. Almost like caramel colored whip cream. Sticks around for quite some time. Sticky lacing all over. Very nice deep brown with red hues around the sides.

S: Burnt earthy caramel with leafy piney hops. Hints of spice from the booze and hops

T: dark roasted sweet malt with a big time bitter bite. Earthy, woody, dirty flavors in the finish. This is a complex and balanced beer. I am left with the bitterness surrounding my mouth as the sweetness fades. Very, very nice.

M: Sweet up front, big time hop bite that really encompasses the whole mouth and leaves a real lingering bitterness and dryness. The carbonation and rye add to the hops spice and "punch."

O: Stone is as good as it gets and for them to throw some oak into arrogant bastard and enhance its already stellar flavor, is just another example of pure genious. I love the West Coast brewers and their use of hops in beer and this is one of the best.

04-08-2011 20:39:14 | More by rrski198
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.