Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Pours out as a reddish brown color with a fairly nice head.

S - Smells of oak, caramel, and sweetness. It's hard to pinpoint, but it reminds me of peaches.

T - The caramel is a huge taste right as it hits your tongue, but the hoppiness is also apparent as it develops. The oak isn't as pronounced as one might expect. The sweetness definitely comes in, and reminds me of peaches.

M - The carbonation doesn't overpower the flavor, and it goes down smooth.

O - It's a great beer, but as others have notice it is generally pricey. Nonetheless, I highly recommend trying it at least once.

Slyjoker87, Aug 26, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a clear rich mahogany topped by a large and lasting creamy, foamy cream-colored head.

Faint, quick whiff of oak upon uncapping. Otherwise the nose is dominated by hops, as with its unoaked little brother. Candied citrus and resiny pine notes lead the way, imparting a sense of 'green.' As I search I find the richness of the oak, but it's quite subtle, lacking the caramel/vanilla I was expecting.

Malt-forward on the palate, earthy and smooth. Oak is more apparent than on the nose, though it comes across as more of a rustic general woodiness. The hops add a big and bruising bitterness, but with little noticeable hop flavor, so taht the bitterness seems to come from the wood. As I drink, a bit of the expected oak character starts to come through, but ever so faintly. Finish is long and bitter.

Full bodied and mostly firm, with a fair edge to it. Interesting and a fine beer, but not up to expectations.

wnh, Aug 24, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Thick two-finger tan head over reddish brown beer. Good lacing but could be better.

Smells very good. Fruity hops. Taste is hop-dominated by it's mellower and creamier than you'd expect. The bottle says it's aggressively hopped, but I wouldn't say that, exactly. Less hoppy than the Arrogant Bastard anyway.

I think there are some sweetening malts in this one and they balance things out. It's on the sweet side but again, like the hoppiness, it is less sweet than the Arrogant Bastard.

Overall, a good beer. More subdued than its cousin brewed without oak chips. I like the Arrogant Bastard more, but this is a darn good beer too.

jar2574, Aug 24, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz bottle. Best by date etched at the bottom of bottle. Pours a dark cloudy brown, similar to burnt orange. Nice off white head and very sticky lacing (pint glass). The aromas are sticky hops, but not overboard, considering we're talking about Stone here. I'm picking up a ton of oranges. Lots of caramel and butterscotch as well. The oak is slightly noticeable in the nose, but takes a backseat. I really thought I'd be picking up alot more on the oak in the flavors. Now don't get me wrong, I can taste the woodsiness, which is pretty enjoyable. Wood chips really do give stong ales a different dimension without completely ruining the beer. Lots of malt as well. Mouthfeel is very nice, rich, smooth, creamy.. very easy to drink. I'm always down for one of these. It's alot more balanced than one might think. It's not quite as hoppy as the original.

As much as I like this, I'd take a regular Arrogant Bastard Ale over this any day of the week.. this is a notch below because the hops don't shine like they should. Still a nice brew from Stone.

BB1313, Aug 20, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz. bottle, marked 5/21/11, poured into a Corsendonk Belgium Ale Tulip, a tall narrow style of tulip almost a large Thistle.

I went through many style of drinking glasses for this one, but this Corsendunk glass is really it, started with a British Imp Nonic then on to a Dogfish Head Snifter and finally the glass mentioned above. The Corsendonk Tulip is the one really showed this ale at it’s finest.

Pours a huge three finger head when first poured, (but this is a narrow glass), settles down into a nice ¼” cap, attractive, sticky “lace” which lasts throughout the pour. Cloudy, yeast infused, dark amber color, beautiful Ale! The cap is easily revived with a swirl, very lively ale!

Yes the wood is the first thing to hit you in the smell, It’s not overpowering but does lend a definite Oak/Vanilla aroma first, followed by a very enjoyable yeast, some roasted malt in the back, with a faint hint of hops, then more yeast and wood, you just want to smell again and again. Extremely enjoyable!

The flavor is one of unbelievably delicious, rich, wood infused malt, distinct dark bread, yeast, rich malt, hops are here but in the background, crisp, medium sweet, superbly balanced, great carbonation, everything is in balance here, hard to find any fault. Did I mention that this ale is flat out delicious!

Very, very long finish of rich malt and distinct wood. Wow! I really like this. Makes you want to drink another and another until……..

Took a little time for me to find the right glass for this ale (don’t ever underestimate the importance of this), but after that Magic! And in picking the glass that worked, it brought out all the best qualities of this ale. I have had the unoaked versions of this ale in bottle and draft. That being said I have read more than a few comments on liking the unoaked version over the oaked, I cannot agree on this one, this stuff is excellent!

JTSbeerislife, Aug 20, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a beautiful crimson/brown color with a fluffy two finger head - as I move the beer around the head remains as one and sticks together, unwilling to fade away. First sip leaves behind mountainous amount of lace. Smells of mellow malt and a rich woody punch that mingles with a bitter hop aroma and another bit that I can't quite pin down. This beer is delicious, it has a nice spice on the finish the original arrogant bastard was lacking (almost minty at the back of my palate) - bitter hops sweet oak bring it all together. The mouthfeel is borderline creamy - sipping this is very enjoyable as the complexity surrounds my tongue. Let me note the wall of lace that has unmistakably posted itself up around every bit of the glass with the exception of the "funnel" I've been drinking from. This is a good beer, a really good beer, the only disappointment for me here is that I don't have a non-oaked bastard to compare beside this. Oh well.

Enjoy

antlerwrestler19, Aug 19, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Purchased in Vermont from a very pleasant moustached woman. 12 Oz. bottle poured into a Bobcat Cafe pint glass.

A: Beautiful red/brown/amber (ripe nectarine) colour with a two-finger creamy beige foam head. Good retention and OK lacing.

S: Pine hops, molasses, caramel, cinnamon, and faint dark fruits. Detecting that earthy, musky, oak aroma. Sounds weird but can detect a bit of paprika spice. Very different and pleasing aromas.

T: Very smooth. Pine taste balanced nicely with a slightly buttered bread-like malt backbone. Finishes with a little alcohol bite and a lingering musky/woody taste that makes this a little funky (and good!).

M: Slightly oily with an appropriate viscosity level. About right amount of carbonation.

D: Should've bought the whole 6-pack! The oak chips really add a different dimension to this. A delicious offering from Stone

Digimaika2, Aug 18, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +9%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Beautiful reddish brown/dark mahogany with a great head and some pretty nice lacing.

S: The smell is very malty and bready but with a decent hop aroma noticeable as well.

T: Wonderful. The initial taste is a slight bitterness followed by the malty backbone and then the bitterness comes back full force. The lingering flavor is that of toffee, espresso, and vanilla like flavors with the hop bitterness remaining noticeable too.

M: The mouthfeel is very creamy and has a nice texture. It is not thick or thin, it is just nicely seated to accompany the flavor and appearance. Very nice.

O: This is a very good beer. I haven't had a regular Arrogant Bastard in a while so I am not sure how the two compare, but this is my first go with the oaked one and its marvelous. A great beer for anytime of the year.

jifigz, Aug 17, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -29%

Poured into a Bruery snifter, the darkest of ambers. Small head with a thin film of frothy bubbles covering the brew. Slightly sour aroma, maybe black malt? Would account for the darkness of the beer. Thick lacing

First sip different from the second sip. Bitter hops dominated at first, more palatable the second time around, partnering with the flavors of oak and malt.

Once I could look past the bitterness, there was a creamy mouthfeel that was pleasant. Too much hops, too much lingering bitterness on the tongue for me to try this one again.

Vanlingleipa, Aug 17, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pored into a pint glass.

Well, Stone have really outdone themselves this time. They said so themselves. It's true, read the label: "You won't like this beer because you're a pussy." The arrogant part is really the writing on the wall. The beer itself, while a bit hard to take in, is actually very smooth and easily drinkable and quite enjoyable. Maybe they could have called this beer "Loved Bastard" if they really wanted to rock people's world and better describe this beer, because, while it isn't the most arrogant beer I've ever had, it's still pretty damn good.

It has a cloudy brownish amber body that is pretty carbonated and a finger of off-white head that leaves a little lacing. It smells delicious: some oak, but a lot of hops along with some roasted malts and caramel. The taste follows the nose pretty closely. Actually, very well. The hops dominate at first, but a spectacular aftertaste that accentuates the oak and caramel make this truly special. The feel is fine. It's well carbonated and a bit heavier, but I could've done for something a bit creamier or thicker.

The name is a misnomer to me. Maybe it's a sign my taste buds are going down the tubes, but I just like this beer too much to feel that I'm arrogant.

P.S. I had someone else try this beer and they hated it. It was way to strong for him and he'll stick with whatever is on special at the bar that night. Guess I can be arrogant.

mmva321, Aug 16, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle poured into Bell's snifter.

A- Dark amber. Not opaque, but not far from it either. A bit of sticky reddish head.

S- Man, there's a lot going on here. Oak, but not a ton of it. Some caramel malts. A bit of sweetness, reminiscent of brown sugar. A clear, but background, hop presence. I was going to give this a 4, but as the beer opens up, the smell really begins to shine.

T- Caramel malts up front. Hop bitterness is much more pronounced in the taste v. smell. Oak on the finish, but again, not a ton of it. Hop bitterness is lingering.

M- Nicely carbonated. Heavy of medium. Coats the mouth nicely with a mix of sweet malts and bitter hops.

O- Very good. At the price I don't get it often, but I enjoy it when I do.

fsvan, Aug 11, 2011

This ale is in a category by itself. The brewers choice of hops, nutty flavored barley malt, makes for a very robust, complicated, tongue teasing, "ale". After taste of the hops in this beer would be a good thing...but....it disappears a bit too quickly. No problem...take another awesome sip. Loved it!

samwello, Aug 10, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

On tap at St. James Infirmary

Very dark, opaque color. Some head that retained for a couple of sips.

Smell is not too noteworthy, but there is some wood in there.

Taste is a huge slap on the tongue. A "strong" ale to be sure. The oakey finish is cool, but overall it feels very dry and bitter. It was hard to finish my 13 oz. glass because it's such a bastard! The flavor is complex and commendable, but it's just not easy to enjoy.

It's been a while since I had a regular Bastard, but if my memory serves me right, I prefer that one to this. The OAKED is a cool beer to try because it is unique and complex, but at the end of the day, the regular one is less expensive and still quite tasty. I'll be trying the Double Bastard this week and I'm excited to see how that compares.

I'm also wondering if the batch the Bros. had from 2003 is substantially different from the one I tried. I'll never know!

TheRealBigC, Aug 10, 2011

Poured a nice dark rusty red color with about 2 fingers of head on the topside. This is a very nice looking brew.

Nose: First whiff I get a big hop presence. Then when it warms up some you get more of the earthy malts. Also get that oak smell back there.

Taste: It's a perfect mixture of bitter and sweetness. Good balance of the hop bite and sweet caramel malt notes. It's bitter enough and smooth enough to make you want another.

Mouth: Medium body brew. It coats your mouth with flavor but it's not syrupy.

Overall: This is a very nice brew. Good for anytime of the year. Something that I see myself picking up quite frequently.

Jenkster4, Aug 10, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

First off I have to thank my friend Steve for the bottle. Now I have had the regular Bastard before but it has been so long that I don't remember much about it all outside of the fact that I liked it. I have been wanting to try this one for a while now and glad that I finally got the chance to.

I poured the 12oz bottle into my DFH snifter glass to find a dark, hazy amber body with a two inch cream colored head that left a nice sticky lacing around the glass.

In the aroma I get a bit of hops, caramel malt and of course some hints of wood.

The taste was great, the caramel malts hit you first with a heavy dose of hops in the middle with a nice amount of bitterness to end on. The oak is done just right, on the mellow side and as dominate as you might expect.

This is a very smooth, easy beer to drink and I could easily put a few down in one sitting. To me the alcohol is barely noticeable
Overall a great beer and glad that I got a chance to enjoy it and I will defiantly pick it up again in the future.

Dan3279, Aug 07, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

This is one of my favorite beers starting from the first time I had one many years ago. It is about time that I reviewed this favorite.

It smells great. You get tons of hops from the top and there is a lot of oakiness. The coloring is a deep brown.

The flavors are strong and complex. You get the ale, the hoppiness, and the oak. All mesh really well. The balance is impressive considering how many strong flavors are in there.

This is an exceptional beer. It costs a little more than most, but it is definitely worth it.

ummswimmin, Aug 07, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a "It's not too expensive. You're too cheap!" pint glass. This beer looks more or less like regular AB Ale. It's a murky dark brown with a bit of a head.

When I stick my head in it I smell hops and thick malts. No oak smell.

The taste is where this beer is at. Oddly enough one of the primary things i taste is a vegetable stew. It sounds crazy, but here me out. You get a bit of stewed carrots and bellpepper flavor out of it. Looking past that flavor there is a definite hop taste with a finish that is quite a bit different than that of regular Bastard. After 30 seconds or so I start to get an oaky aftertaste that the oak chips provide to the already excellent Bastard ale.

Heavily carbonated as a lot of the Stone beers are. Don't chug this one.

I like this beer quite a bit, but I think I prefer normal Bastard. The decision to only put this in 6 packs has always been a little strange to me, but at the same time it kind of makes sense? I dunno, I just know it's good.

20ozmonkey, Aug 06, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Look: the beer pours a clear dark-brown-amber with a light-brown head.
Smell: Malts, oak, caramel citrus and pine hops
Taste: Malts, caramel citrus, some wood and pine hops. Aftertaste is dry bitter full of pine and grapefruit
Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation
Overall: Nice beer. Very well balanced

rvdoorn, Aug 05, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Dark red beautiful color. The head is about an inch thick and looks delicious as it sticks arund for a bit.

Aroma: Malt caramel, oak and a minimal hop aroma.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, creamy, and chewy. This beer has a great mouthfeel.

Taste: Much like a Barley wine this beer has a chewy caramel taste with a bit of a hop bite, a pleasant oak presence, and the typical stone bitterness that lingers for a loooong time in the mouth. This beer would be a dream to have on cask!

Overall: Great beer at a great price!

ChanChan, Aug 04, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard is the even louder and more ostentatious big brother to the regular Arrogant Bastard, and announces itself to the nose with a dual kick of massive malts and hops. Big caramelized brown sugars, wheat and sourdough breads, and toasted grains are accompanied by grapefruit and citrus hop aromas.

On the tongue, the brew is immediately malty, with vanillas, brown sugars, chocolate malts, pecans, and fruit esters (both dark, like figs, and light, like apricots and oranges). A strong hop backing brings in a tremendous grapefruit kick, which helps to hide the medium-strong alcohol bite lurking around the edges. The addition of oak aging does bring wood-like undertones, but also serves to slightly temper the bitter hops, and make the brew more nuanced. The aftertaste is largely hops, although strong sugars still linger. Mouthfeel is medium, and carbonation is medium to medium-high.

Overall, this is excellent fare, and worth the price over the regular six-pack of Arrogant Bastard. Fans of the brand will find even more of the flavors they loved in the original, but in a nicely elite form.

jondeelee, Aug 04, 2011

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (no date) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 2-finger tan-colored head that slowly recedes to a thick, clumpy covering. The body is a hazy dark reddish brown. Thick lacing clings to the glass throughout consumption.

Just like regular Arrogant Bastard but with a little woodiness. Spicy and floral hops notes meet earthy malt with a woodiness apparent in the background.

Spicy and earthy, like regular Arrogant Bastard, but a little toned down. The hops are not quite as present which allows the sweet, caramelized malts to come through a little more. The sweetness is perfectly complimented by a dry woodiness.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer, like regular Arrogant Bastard, coats your mouth decently without become very sticky. It is very drinkable as well as easily sippable.

The oak definitely adds a new dimension to this beer. However, I don't really like it quite as much as the original Arrogant Bastard as the lack of hops hurts the balance found in the original. It is definitely delicious and enjoyable, but just not quite as great as its base beer.

output01x, Aug 01, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

A fine example of a beer that is cut above the rest, and knows it. It has a whopping, bold taste that is surprisingly very nice. And it smells just as surprisingly good. This is a man's beer, sporting strong, vivid character with a clean finish. Tasted great with barbeque.

leansean88, Jul 31, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

My first Stone tasting! Quite a bit more expensive than other beers availble by the bottle at Four Firkins, so Arrogant Bastard is perhaps an apt name for the brewer. They better walk the talk.

Candidly, this was drunk from a bottle at a drive-in movie, so I have no idea what it looks like. I'll assume it looks like a beer, and give it a free pass.

A highly spiced and earthy aroma, somewhat wooden. Pretty good, the hops are definitely in there! Similar notes show up in terms of test. Definitely an agressive hops profile, with malt, citrus, pine(?!, yeah, I suck at this). I do find it takes me a while to down the whole bottle, despite the middling ABV.

Good beer. Very good beer. Maybe even very very good. With the number of great beers that can be had for less though, I'm not sure very very good is enough for this beer. Still recommended, definitely try one for yourself.

lurpy1, Jul 30, 2011
4.2/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass

Color is a deep ruby, amber red with an off white head that is huge. Lacing is very sticky that hangs around-super thick. I smell a little carmel malt and Oak. Hops are lingering in the air. The taste is very hoppy with a lot of Oak flavor that is wonderful. They really knocked this one out of the park with the oak. It changes the beer from the original AB to where this beer is more mellow. It's very bitter, but the oak adds a smoothness and improves drinability.

Overall, this is a great beer(a little too expensive though) that keeps me coming back for more.

JDizzle, Jul 21, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my stone pint glass...

A-Crystal clear copper or amber in color and very nice to look at, had about a 2 finger cream or off white head with little lacing...really liked the initial thick cream head on this one

S-Sweet malts, oaky hops and molasses...smells very bittersweet has some nice floral notes as well

T-Very surprising, candy like huge malt sweetness up front with a mild bitter malt mid with a slightly oaky floral dry hops finish...wow...that's a lot of stuff going on...not as oaky as I thought it was going to be...Still taste damn good...

M-Medium bodied with decent carbonation...oaky sweet and creamy floral mouth...I think you get more of an oaky taste on the mouthfeel than just a normal sip...

O-Very nice brew, easy to drink and would drink again or recommend...it's got a pretty heavy price tag at 15 bucks but I get it for 10 at my local liquor store so it's a mega score...

DrinkThemAll, Jul 19, 2011
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.