Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
2.05/5  rDev -51.2%

This ale was quite a disappointment. My friend said this was his favorite beer so I had to try it. I had the double bastard ale and was blown away by the alcohol, I had this one and was just blown away by the nasty overall taste. The finish was a serious woody chemical taste akin to Varathane on hard rock maple.

the details

A- Pours dark amber with 1/2 finger head. semi cloudy

S- Very very malty, smooth yet very strong chemical smell

T- Strong hop on the front end

M- medium carbonation

D- Too strong on the back end, way too much oaky taste. Not sure this flavor belongs in beer.

I have a lot of respect for what Arrogant Bastard is trying to accomplish with their aggressive brand of beers but this is a bit over the top. But then again, maybe that's the whole point.

beck2008, Feb 12, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

I've been wanting to try this for a while, but couldn't bring myself to cough up the $20 per six pack. And then bam! I was browsing the singles section at beer run and they had one for tree fiddy. This stuff is nice. It's got a beautiful color, smell, and taste. It's really smooth and drinkable. I think it may be worth the $20 next time.

morenone, Feb 12, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

This beer pours a deep, rich mahogany with a one finger beige head. It looks identical to the regular Arrogant Bastard. It smells of bitter citrus hops and has a light sweet maltiness to it. There is also a good and strong presence of oak, earthiness, and light smoke. It's definitely a slight upgrade to the AB. The flavors consist of mild hop bitterness to pair with a whole ton of earthiness followed by a nice and subtly sweet malt backbone. There's a lot of wood, dirt, tree bark going on yet in a pleasant manner. There are also light vanilla accents. It drinks exceptionally smooth and medium bodied. It leaves behind an appealing oaky/vanilla bitter hop flavor in the after taste. I find this to be much more appealing than the original AB. It has a lot more character. I wouldn't say it's necessarily easy to drink though. Like the AB, this one gets to be a little much after awhile. I couldn't drink more than one at a sitting. Solid beer though.

aasher, Feb 11, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

L: Poured into a tulip glass. Clear, with a beautiful deep red color and an off-white head that disappears for the most part kinda quickly, except for some lingering on the sides. Good lacing. Not really carbonated except for a stream of bubbles coming straight up from the bottom center of the glass.

S: Not sure if I'm smelling this right after looking at other reviews, but kind of fruity, maybe currants. Not really any hop aroma for me. A sniff halfway through the glass reveals some wood scent.

T: Great blend of hop bitterness and malts up front. The hop bitternes lingers on the edges of the tongue. A definite woodiness and vanilla comes through as well, which greatly smooths it out, especially compared to the un-oaked version.

F: Great mouthfeel. Exactly what I love to drink. Not syrupy, but it deifnitely has some weight on the tongue. Almost not carbonation tingliness.

D: I drank this pretty slowly because I was doing some work and 7.2% kinda requires you drink it slow, but even if I was free to get drunk, I'd probably need a serious break after 2 or 3 of this heavy brew. But just drinking one was fantastic.

AbyssJunkie13, Feb 10, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter.
A) Brick red in color. Off-white head quickly disappears. Hard to see through because of the color, but doesn't appear to be much carbonation.
S) Hops. Not a very strong aroma, but the hops are noticable.
T) Very well balanced beer with a strong presence of both hops and malt. Much more mellow then the regular arrogant bastard and the double bastard. Wonderful oak and vanilla notes from the aging.
M/D) Full bodied beer. Very soft in the mouth. Before the finish, takes on an almost syrupy consistency. Very drinkable beer, but one that should be enjoyed once in a while, not an everyday session beer.

goalie33, Feb 09, 2011
4.2/5  rDev 0%

I have always loved Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale. My first experience with the Oaked style left me quite happy.

The pour and appearance was just like the Arrogant Bastard.
The aroma was also so very similar.

Now thats where the comparison stopped!. There was a distinct smooth oak feel right from the start. I really believe that all the different beers that incorporate Oak, Rum or other type of wooden barrels make a distinct point.

I had this in a six pack and it was somewhat pricier than the 22oz Arrogant Bastard.

It was great to compare this one with the normal Arrogant Bastard Ale

rdilauro, Feb 09, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

poured into a tulip

A.

A very beautiful looking beer. Dark ruby red color with about 2 fingers off very fluffy and frothy off-white head. The lacing in this is a thing of beauty

S.

First smell I get is a nice little malt aroma. Some slightly sweet malts intertwined with some hop aroma (a little mix of citrus and pine). A hint of booze and wood in here as well.

T.

Sweet malty taste that turns into a nice little bitter bite. Pretty boozy tasting however. The finish is booze and bitterness with a slightly woodsy dry end.

M.

medium bodied with loads of carbonation. Leaves a linger bitter aftertaste that is somewhat dry.

D.

A little boozy and pricey for my taste, but a nice sipping beer. Easily available and decent tasting which are the strongest traits in this category but doubt I'd seek this out again.

cetherid, Feb 09, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very active, dense fluffy off-white head with excellent retention, reddish-copper color, good clarity and leaves thick lacing.

Rich caramel malty sweetness and bright, pungent floral and fruity hops join together and produce a superdeluxe aroma. I can faintly feel, but don't really smell, the booze when I take a deep inhale.

Caramel malty first, then woody, with medium hop bitterness through the middle. Hop flavors are not as pronounced as in the nose, or as much as the malty base and the bitterness. But I do detect piny, floral, and grapefruit rind influences coming on strong for the home stretch. The bitterness lingers and grows.

Well carbonated, rich full body, medium viscosity, bitter finish that lingers.

I'm sure I've had this before, but it's been a while, I think. I've never been all that impressed by any of the Bastards. But I used to drink my beers too cold, and maybe they were old or something? Whatever, I'm impressed now. This beer has an interesting malt forward start and a strong San Diego finish. Very good beer. Looking forward to my next one.

sprucetip, Feb 04, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Tawny amber colour, 1.5 finger creamy off-white head, good retention and lacing.

S: Herbal, a bit of citrus, and a weird distracting metallic undertone.

T: Bitter spicy hops up front, with good caramel malt toward the middle, leading into sharp hoppy biting finish. Oak isn't very prevalent, but is slightly noticeable in the finish/aftertaste with light notes of vanilla and butter.

M: Medium body, alcohol well hidden.

D: The addition of the oak was a nice added dimension, but to be honest, I think I prefer the original version for its straight up hop assault.

MattyV, Feb 04, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -38.1%

A: A almost murky brown with very little head. Light does not pass completely through. Carbonation seems very present as well as some possible sediment?

S: This bottle has been cellared for over a year, yet I still detect some alcohol. Otherwise a nice combination of dates, vanilla, oak, and caramel.

T: Ut-oh. It tastes like medicine. Very herbal and slightly astringent. I had one from the pack fresh, so I know they were fine when I got them. I think this might be a little early for this one. Slightly sweet and reminiscent of some fruit I can't put my finger one, its hard to get past the crushed aspirin bitterness.

M: Highly carbonated with a medium body.

D: I doubt I'm going to finish this one, its my fault for jumping the gun though. I'll make sure to come back to this in a years time, as well as get a review for a fresh bottle as well.

Drazzamatazz, Feb 04, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Dark tawny caramel color with a large, very full, creamy, thick off-white head. Retention is very good and it finally settles into

S - A very strong caramel malt base that provides a base to plenty of citrus hops. Loads of grapefruit and orange, some piny aroma as well. Some brown sugar as well. Maybe touches of vanilla and even more faint oaky woodiness, but nothing really would make me think this was an oaky beer. Good mix of malt and hops.

T - Like the nose suggested, there is a big caramel malt and brown sugar backbone. Has some citrus, particularly grapefruit, hoppy flavors, but it is more bitter/astringent grapefruit rather than a slightly sweet juicy flavor. Has some of the piny flavors toward the finish. Again a faint vanilla and oaky flavor but nothing overly strong. A bit of a minty/herbal finish.

M - Medium body with average carbonation. Very smooth almost slick feel.

D - I had no problem finishing 12 oz. but it satisfied me for a while. It just lacked something that made me really want to come back for another on a regular consistency.

Notes: I enjoyed this, but just wasn't blown away by it. Pretty much what you would expect with a lot of caramel malt and a lot of hoppy bitterness. Not much oakiness comes out.

FreshHawk, Feb 03, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a beautifully dark brown hue with a quickly thinning one finger head. Mild lacking on the side of the glass.

S: The smell of this beer almost turned me away from trying it. To me at first smell it reminded me of a locker room. I know it's an unappealing thought, but that's what it reminded me of. The more I drank, the better the smell was. The flavor profile helped identify the smells.

T: It's almost like I'm licking a pine tree. It's the pineyness of a good IPA and I can taste the hops for sure.

M: Light bodied heavily carbonated with a nice bite to it.

D: The more I drank the more I enjoyed it. It will be interesting to see how my thoughts will change over the rest of the six pack (just not in one, or two, or three, sittings for that matter).

Comments: There is a definite rustic cabin feel to this beer. I feel like I should be drinking it by the fire in the middle of the woods. Unfortunately the price point of $22/six pack is not inviting me back for more.

circlenine, Feb 02, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Tilted Kilt in Charlotte, served in a pint glass.

The beer pours a ruby red color with orange-ish highlights. The smallish off white/tan head recedes fairly quickly leaving behind a fair amount of sticky lacing

The nose is full of citrus hops, caramel malts, brown sugar, and a bit of oaky vanilla. The alcohol is much more present here than in the regular AB. The alcohol seems to gain in intensity as the beer warms.

The taste is grapefruit hops, caramel malts, brown sugar sweetness, just a slight bit of vanilla, and just a mild alcohol burn. Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Really quite a smooth beer for all of the complexities it has to offer. As the beer warms the oaky vanilla tones seem to open up a little more and become much more noticable. Very nice

Really a terrific beer, I think I prefer this to the regular AB, as it seems to be a bit more complex and less focused on just the hops

CBlack85, Feb 01, 2011
4.2/5  rDev 0%

A. Pours the color of aged copper with a slight haze and an off-white cream colored head with good retention.

S. If this beer tastes as good as it smells then I am in love. It is sweet and boozy with a sharp citrus hop smell as well as a constant woodiness. Strong fig tones help to balance the grapefruit nose.

T. The taste starts with the sweet, smooth taste of figs then fades to a dry citrus hop taste, but a woody taste lingers in the background throughout. The flavor is very complex, it is hoppy, but not at all bitter.

M. Medium mouthfeel with lasting carbonation. Both flavorful and complex without being too stressful on the palate.

D. I actually prefer this one to the original (non-oaked) version and could drink it all night long without getting bored.

hopstradamus, Jan 31, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours red with just enough light penetrating it that allows you to see through the glass. I took a sniff before swirling and got faint hop aroma and took another sniff after swirling and got a pineapple aroma which is kind of weird but I'm not complaining since I love pineapple. I'm not sure if this arrogant bastard was aged in oak because I'm not tasting any signs of it. Very smooth with no alcohol burn which is not surprising since the ABV is only 7.2% Very little hop presence with a sweet kick. I like this version of arrogant bastard better then the regular arrogant bastard since that just leaves me really thirsty.

BigB415, Jan 31, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle
Served in snifter.

A - Copper colored body with amber highlights. Two fingers of beige head.

S - I am immediately met with oak and vanilla aromas. Once I stick my nose in there I get some caramel malt. I'm not picking up any hops.

T - The oak is noticeable. The hops are quite muted compared to the non oaked version. There is enough hops to balance this beer.

M - Medium. I get an almost chalky sensation on my tongue.

D - This is a fine brew. I love barrel aged beers. As I mentioned before, the hops are more subtle, but it is such a enjoyable experience.

buschbeer, Jan 30, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +9%

Wow! This is easily the best beer I've tasted so far this year.

It's beautifully balanced with a smooth, caramely sweet taste up front and a hoppy finish with a bit -- but not too much -- of bitterness.

Stone Ruination is one of the beers that really drew me into craft brewing movement last year. But I like Oaked Arrogant Bastard more. It's not as bitter as Ruination and more drinkable.

You definitely get what you pay for with Oaked -- it's well worth the price.

AdamF, Jan 28, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

I drank this alongside the regular arrogant bastard so that I could see how the oaking changed the flavour. Both brews had pretty much the same colour, a cloudy darkish brown colour. The oaked version had a smaller head (0.5 cm instead of 3 cm). The oaked ale has a weaker smell, I guess I lot of the hoppiness faded during the aging. That doesn't really leave that much smell, just some slightly spicy breadiness. The taste is pretty similar to the regular ale: a lovely bready hop flavour. The oaked version is a little drier with some extra woodiness. The aftertaste is slightly different; it's woody, musty and slightly metallic. It's still good, but I prefer it un-oaked.

vandemonian, Jan 28, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Opened 5 days before it's best-by date.

Pours a beautiful ruby when held up to the light and is capped by fat, sand-colored head that leaves a good deal of lacing and pops back up with just a little agitation.

For this late in its recommended life, I'm surprised how prominent the hops remain in the nose, though they're aren't remarkably strong. Citric and piney hops are complimented by a mellow caramel sweetness. The oak is there but really takes the back seat; there's just a tad of vanilla and toast, but this ratio shifts favorably as the beer warms.

Like in the aroma, the hops hit the palate first, but the reminder that this was aged over oak chips comes not far behind. The wood and vanilla flavors at once seem to mellow out the hops and to stand so far apart from them. It seems a slightly odd to me to take such an aggressively hopped beer as AB and introduce it to such subtle flavors, but, on the other hand, an over-oaked version would probably be worse.

In any case, the finish is quite bitter and dry, which I don't recall from the original AB; my guess is that the beer pulled some tannins form the oak. The lingering bitterness hangs around the duration of the entire glass, which I think makes it slightly less drinkable.

The mouthfeel is above average, but nothing spectacular. Pretty good offering from Stone, but given its price tag, I'll probably stick with the regular unless I'm in the mood for a treat.

Sneers, Jan 28, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth snifter.

Mahogany, reddish with a white finger head and some lacing.

Hops, citrus and a faint hint of oak.

Caramel, hops but not quite as hop heavy as i'm used to from stone, then oak as well.

Medium body with good carbination. Very good mouth feel.

Seems very drinkable to me. The hops aren't overbearing and goes down very easily.

Rick187, Jan 28, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard | 350 ml. | 7.2% ABV | vintage

Brewer: Stone Brewing Co.
Style: American Strong Ale
Glass: brandy snifter

Appearance:
Deep crimson, translucent, still, with an exquisite ring of lace.

Aroma:
Hops oils and the faint smack of oaky alcohol.

Taste:
It opens with a prodigious and delicious malt base, but quickly segues into oily hops, bread crust, and the faintest touch of brandy. The oak profile isn't strong, but manifests itself mid-sip. Hops tell an underdog story, rising from obscurity onto center stage; mint leaves and juicy grapefruit dominate 'til and through the finish.

Mouthfeel:
Medium-bodied with potent levels of carbonation. It's even, smooth, and clear, though one would hope for a heftier feel.

Harmony:
From what I remember of Arrogant Bastard, I was expecting a maltier brew. But that wasn't in the offing. Instead, a terrifically oily hop profile won the day, balancing oaky malts with cutting citrus and grassy herbs.

Would I get it again?:

Bottled: ?
Served: January 26, 2011

Price = $2.99 at Whole Foods

BeerNemesis, Jan 27, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was absolutely famished when I came to have this beer. Always a good sign.

Some cloudy deep orangish brown to the eye with orange highlights.Thick dense billowing head.

Oh sweet lord that is good. This is a tasty beer.A firm dry dense bitterness which is very intense yet incredibly balanced. Those wood chips are so so well integratedI wouldn't have believed it had I not tasted it myself. Lots of good sticky lacing all over the inside of that glass.

Dee-lish.

Zimbo, Jan 25, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 12 oz bottle poured into my duvel tulip after a killer dinner.

A- a hard pour yields a huge three finger of tan head that holds for a good bit then slowly settles to a massive amount chunky lace all over the glass. Hazy dark red brown in color with a solid glow to it.

S- toasted bread, caramel, faded resiny hops, some light citrus.

T- opens up with a toffee and caramel sweetness then rolls very hard off the cliff and smashes you into a mouthful of wood. I mean tons of oak and at first is almost a bit off putting. The hops pick up a bit and add and bitter grapefruit and pine resin touch. The wood smooths out after awhile and brings some vanilla into the mix. Long bitter woody finish.

M- a bit above medium in body and a bit less in carb. Semi dry tannic finish.

D- the first time I had this beer it was so woody I was barely able to drink it now after many years and many oak aged beers I can deal with this level of wood. That being said I think this one takes the cake as the woodiest brew I've had. The chips do a real number on this one. If your into wood this one is for you.

oglmcdgl, Jan 25, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance:
Deep amber-brownish color, hazy. Lots of fine bubbles. Head looks thick and chunky.

Aroma:
Fruity, resiny, sweet malts, maybe some hint of oak character.

Taste/Body:
Sweet malts up front along with bitter hops at the backend, very resiny. Fruity character, ripe black cherries. I notice there's a little oak character in the taste, but I barely taste it. Body is medium, carbonation is nice.

Finish/Aftertaste:
Smooth finish, slight bitter aftertaste, a little dry.

Overall Impressions:
It's a very good brew.

mjurney, Jan 22, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance - Poured a dull head that does not stick. Slightly cloudy. No visual carbonation w/o agitation. Light amber color.

Smell - Strong hops smell. Slight woody and smokey smell. Citrus. Slight boozy.

Taste - Similar to smell, the woodyness shined through somewhat. citrus was stronger in the taste. a light yeast flavor. bitter(unpleasent) aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Great carbonation. crisp.

Drinkability - ? Great drinkability, smells of booze, but does not taste of it nearly as much.

Glass: snifter

bisonkron, Jan 19, 2011
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.