Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
allforbetterbeer

Colorado

Poured into a crystal goblet, freshness date marked (though not clearly) on bottle. Cap tells me that I am not worthy.

Pours with minimal head but leaves a bit of lace behind. Body is charred brown when viewed in low light, and transforms into a amber-garnet gem when held up to light. Crystal clear.

Nose is melted toffee swimming with raisins, currents, and brown sugar lumps. Very sugary and sweet, past the point of ripe fruit. Wow. This bottle is older, perhaps almost a year since it was bottled, but it has been in a cooler in the store since then. I expect that the hops will have faded some and produced more fruitiness and sugar-sweet flavors.

The hops are still present, but they are dripping with melted brown sugar. This sweetness is somewhat balanced by the leftover hop bitterness. Other flavors present are toffee, plum, blood orange slices, and possibly a faint hint of cherries.

Mouthfeel is medium and slick from the higher ABV. Goes down with a bit of protest to be leaving the mouth so soon. Overall the drinkability is very good. I keep thinking this is a higher ABV brew because of its complexity, so I have this mental warning about drinking it fast. At 7.2 it isn't a baby, but then isn't going to bury me either.

Conclusion: I have never had original AB, and have never had Oaked AB fresh. This bottle is very good as it is, and I imagine that it would be very good fresh as well. I have never liked Stone brewery, but can't help liking their beers as every one I try is well crafted and tasty.

09-30-2010 19:46:27 | More by allforbetterbeer
gopens44

4.58/5  rDev +9%

A - Nice color. Deer red, ruby red in fact, with an exciting foamy head that lasts almost as long as the drink when poured into a pint glass. Gentle lacing.

S - I couldn't find much here other than the strong aroma of earthy, piny hops. After the ale had lost about half of it's volume, some more citrus like hints started to show up (or smell up, however it is you say it). I had expected some type of scotch or bourbon type oak hints in the smell, maybe even what you'd observe in a Cabernet, but not so much. Not a problem for me, but figured that the name implied more presence of oak than what was really taking place

T - This is why I love ales. Bitter as an old man scorned by life and women ten times over. The immense level of hops were smoothed over by the oak hints that finally made an appearance. In addition to the oak, the impressive balancing of this brew was made so by a grapefruit presence as well.

M - A touch dry yet very silky and smooth. Very nice

D - Absolutely a delight to drink. Thank you Stone Brewing for this homage to ales!

09-30-2010 13:38:05 | More by gopens44
glazeman

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter

A; This beer pours dark amber in color with a very light caramel colored head. The head was about 2 fingers in height and had moderate lacing and retention.

S: A very interesting and complex smelling beer. Some caramel apple, and a little bit of acidity up front, a nice amount of oak in the middle, and then some alcohol heat at the finish.

T: This is pretty much what I expected from having the regular version so many times. The oak aging mellows it out and adds some complexity. The hops are somewhat lost, but still come through a little bit at the finish. I really enjoy the taste of this beer, the layers are wonderful.

M: Nothing stands out to me hear, either negatively or positively. The beer as an appropriate level of carbonation and viscosity.

D: I started drinking this beer with mediocre expectations, but it ended up being pretty good. I wouldn't want to drink several of these in a night, but would be happy to have it again sometime. Although, it is pretty expensive for a six pack.

09-29-2010 22:22:25 | More by glazeman
CMW

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

A - pours a deep red color with a massive off-white head that takes some time before settling. A good amount of soapy lace is left on the side of the glass.

S - Citrus hops seem to be the main aroma. There is also a decent amount of malt with some sweetness.

T - Sweet malt is the first thing that comes through and has a candy like taste. This fades quickly and a strong rush of citrus and pine hops flow through.

M - Carbonation is medium and this is a little lighter than most american strong ales I have had.

D - I find this beer quite enjoyable but I am not sure if more than one would be in order.

09-29-2010 01:12:55 | More by CMW
Yesac

Georgia

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

A- dark ruby, slight orange hue. Medium/large tan foamy head.

S- Strong oak barrel nose, pungent hops, slight alcohol.

T- Right along with the smell, complex delicious oak, followed by zesty citrus hop profile, malt caramel finish. Very well balanced and big flavors here.

M- medium/thick body, medium carbonation, not to sticky on the palate.

D- Complex brew, big beer. Its got the looks and the taste. I'm not a fan of oaked beers really so I won't be returning to this one.

09-27-2010 02:43:35 | More by Yesac
ryantaussig

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Beautiful brown/amber hue with a creamy and surprisingly sturdy head. Lacing absolutely everywhere, clings on like a champ. Smells of hops as well as subtle aromas of alcohol, malts, and wood. Tastes of hops and sweet malt come through strongly with a finish focused on the woody notes. Dry after the finish, but not as much as expected which is nice. Goes down easily.

A very good brew I would have in the middle of a tasting group. It's strong enough to burn out the pallet for white ales, but won't do any damage on the way to an IPA or very malty Stout as a nightcap. Perfect middle of the progression beer. I'd suggest it as a session beer were the price tag a bit smaller. Still worth every penny though.

09-25-2010 19:05:31 | More by ryantaussig
jsanford

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a pint glass

A - Pours a ruddy brown-amber with a creamy, 1-finger khaki head. Nice retention and lacing.

S - Sweet malts, earthy hops and citrus dominate with a bit of caramel and vanilla from the oak.

T - Sweet caramel-y malt with a bitter, earthy hop finish that's tempered nicely by the oak aging. Very well-rounded and smooth with little hint of the ABV.

M - Very smooth and creamy with a medium body and sharp carbonation.

D - Quite drinkable, especially with the plate of BBQ I had for lunch. I'll seek this pairing out again!

09-25-2010 18:35:44 | More by jsanford
Mora2000

The beer pours a dark reddish-amber color with a tan head. The aroma is pine and orange hops along with some oaked notes. I also detect some alcohol in the aroma. The flavor is a great mix of caramel malt and orange citrus. The oak then comes in, with the addition of some vanilla notes. Low to medium bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very good beer. The oak aging has really toned down the bitterness from the regular, non-oaked version.

09-25-2010 04:26:56 | More by Mora2000
kbutler1

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle. Pours a dark reddish brown color with a tan head, actually looks really good in my opinion. Good lace. Malty oak nose with a slight hops aroma. Sweet earthy upfront flavor with a more than expected hop bitterness presence at the end. Medium mouthfeel. Another solid beer from Stone.

09-24-2010 14:29:17 | More by kbutler1
Chizoad

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

I have had an irrational aversion to Stone beers. I think it's time I changed my mind because they brew some amazing things, including the Oaked AB (I think AB should no longer be Anheuser-Busch).

Poured from a bottle two months past its best by date into a pilsner glass. I loved the way this beer looked. Rich reds at the bottom of the glass, and deep brown where you look through more liquid. High clarity. Frothy 3 inch tan head that left great lacing and eventually settled to a half-finger.

Rich malty aroma with raisins and dates occasionally blossoming forth.

Excellent flavor, bit malt backbone with piney bitterness smoothing it out. This reminds me of a strong dark tripel blended with an IPA. The raisin and dates stand out here, just like the nose.

A little undercarbonated for my taste, but the medium body of this beer is spot on for the style. Surprisingly drinkable, especially for me considering I have often been overwhelmed by the mounting bitterness of some of the Stone offerings.

09-22-2010 19:08:20 | More by Chizoad
InebriatedJoker

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

poured into my favorite beer drinking glass -

had a thin head that didn't last long -

dark cloudy amber color with lots of bubbles -

smell was strong - but not skunky

the taste was an explosion of barley and aggressive Hops -

you definitely get a taste to remember with this ale -
the drinkablity is best when drinking it slow

this is an aggressive ale, you probably won't like it unless you truly know what a very good ale should taste like -

09-21-2010 22:39:15 | More by InebriatedJoker
tvandragt

4.58/5  rDev +9%

(Aged for six months prior to enjoying. Poured into Russian River tulip)

Pour: Thick, deep brown, dark hazel, luxurious head, light carbonation.

Nose: Thick, heavy cream, pine, sweet corn, cashews, pepper and cherries.

Taste: Dynamic and intriguing. A complex natural spiciness, balanced with smoky-sweet oak and beech wood. Notes of cherry, sweet corn, pine, black pepper, cashew and lime zest. Nutmeg and clove in the finish.

Heavy body. Good linger.

09-21-2010 07:20:14 | More by tvandragt
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A: A clear red-brown color with a light tan head. The head itself is frothy, about 2 fingers, with great head retention and leaving amazing amount of lace on the glass.

S: A complex & very pleasing aroma of oak, sweet vanilla, pine hops, caramel & toasted malts.

T: A massive piney hops assault on my tongue. A bitter aftertaste with vanilla hints from the oak. Mild malts are in the background, but are hidden with the aggressive hoppy flavor.

M: A creamy texture, full body, and a carbonation that was tingly on my tongue. Much needed after the brutal hop attack it endured.

D: I don't see myself drinking a lot of these because I'm not a big fan of the style. Put that aside, it's a great beer for its style, couldn't drink it alone.

09-20-2010 23:49:28 | More by BrewCrew2010
AdamBear

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

A-opaque amber brown, a treat to see, good amount of white head

S-you can smell the oak, i also smell honey and vanilla as well. Smell wonderful!

T-wow very complex. the beer hits you with some quality hops. The fact they've been oak aged is very evident. Bittery and hoppy after-taste with oaked lacing within, the vanilla is there as well

M-low carbonation, very smooth and creamy finish

D-not too shabby, a lot of the complexity slowly fades but the oakness stays very well!

09-19-2010 06:34:46 | More by AdamBear
claspada

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

The aroma is quite piney and citursy. Can't detect the oak aging very much but because I know it's there I'm searching for it and I can find it. Slightly sweet malts that suggest a full-bodied experience to me.

The taste is very hoppy, but at the same time not. It's starts out extreme hoppy and then really really quickly switches to maltiness; nearly on the level of a double IPA. I usually hate beers this hoppy but the oak aging mellows the hops enough that I really enjoy this beer. I have to commend Stone for creating a beer that is this hoppy yet has been aged in oak. What a treat indeed.

For some this may be a hard chore to finish, but I pounded mine, almost accidentally. It was about 6 mo old so the hops and alcohol may have been muted compared to fresh off the press examples. Honestly, my favorite Stone beer I have ever had as their usual beers are way too Pacific coast hopped and ruin my palate, but this one, I will re-visit and that is a first for me and Stone.

09-17-2010 23:19:02 | More by claspada
SteelKettle

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance: red brown color with an off white thick head with good retention and lacing on the glass
Smell: pine hobs and oak
Taste: bitterness with a pine oak and hop flavor
mouthfeel: full bodied with solid feel and crisp aftertaste
Drinkability: good not my favorite Stone but i will give it another try.

22oz bomber

09-15-2010 21:16:28 | More by SteelKettle
newk340

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Beer 2 of Bastard Bash

A: a translucent mauve color with very little head and no lacing that lingers.

S: a warm aroma of malts and barley with underlying hints of oak.

T: subtle hops compliment malts and barley to start while a dry oak/woody flavor rounds out each sip.

MF/D: a simple buzz of carbonation teases the mouth with various cacophony of flavors leaving the tastebuds aching for more. a clear step up from the arrogant bastard.

09-15-2010 00:56:57 | More by newk340
hoplover82

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Pours an amazingly clear red rose color with a very creamy off white head that has very good retention and lacing.

The aroma is a very balanced blend of oak and pine hops and slightly burned caramel.

The flavor is much of the same except of coarse the hefty hefty bitterness that comes like a train. Some sweet bicuit dough as well comes into play. But the pine-y hops I think shine through it all. Along with a woody oak finish to top if off for good measure.

The mouthfeel could not be any creamier, HUGE, yet has a refreshing hoppy bitter finish that lingers forever.

Because of the amount of bitterness in this beer, it is very drinkable. Quite refreshing I might add. Palate cleansing. Very drinkable!

09-15-2010 00:24:50 | More by hoplover82
adam42381

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep mahogany brown with hints of ruby and a fluffy tan 3 finger head. Great head retention. Very nice lacing throughout.

Smell: Toasted malt and caramel with hints of citrus, pineapple and floral hops. Hints of alcohol are present as the beer begins to warm.

Taste: Blast of bitter grapefruit up front followed by malt and caramel with a hint of spice in the middle then ending with bitter citrus at the finish. Aftertaste is very bitter, reminiscent of a lemon peel. Not a bad thing necessarily. A slight alcohol flavor comes out as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. The hops are a little sticky.

Drinkability: Very good drinkability. You could knock a few back over the course of an evening.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. I would recommend this to the hopheads out there.

09-14-2010 02:01:26 | More by adam42381
KAP1356

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an East End pint glass...

A - Poures a copper, almost mahogany color with a small, 1/4 of a finger eggshell white head that fades quite quickly.

S - Oak and hops right up front. The hops seem to be a mix of pine and citrus. There also seems to be a slight spice note to this aroma as well. The malts are there and add a nice

T - Wow. I am not quite sure why, but this tastes extremelly reminisent of the 2009 Anchor Our Special Ale...just with waaay more hops. Some spices and an almost gingerbread quality to this. The oak is there obviously, hops as well. A caramel malt backbone rounds out the flavor profile nicely.

M - Moderate carbonation but still a strong bigger body to this one. Really coats the mouth well.

D - Much smoother and easier to drink than the regular bastard. With the abv the same, I could easily pick this one over the other anyday.

09-14-2010 00:41:18 | More by KAP1356
LiquidCucumber

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Deep dark red, almost mahogany. Not much of a head on this one, but has a ring of foam that leaves nice lacing.

S - Hops and oak jump out first. A touch of sweet malt hides in the background. I am surprised that the oak comes through as much as it does on the nose.

T - Oaky, caramelly malts that are sharply punctuated by grassy and piney hops. There are also some hints of citrus from the hops, but the oak seems to cut a lot of the sharp bitterness that is present in the regular AB.

M - Moderate carbonation and a little light on the body but still pretty hefty. Coats the mouth with a slick collection of flavors.

D - I could drink these all night, probably even easier to drink than the regular. Of course you probably won't like it... at least that's what the bottle says.

09-13-2010 01:10:10 | More by LiquidCucumber
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%

I had this on tap at Hard Times Cafe in Woodbridge, VA. I usually try this one at least once a year, but this is the first time I've reviewed it:

A: Dark caramel color, a bit cloudy, moderately carbonated, and about an inch worth of head.

S: Bouquet of flowers, however, there is a bit of earthiness to it also. On second thought, is that earthiness or staleness?

T: Not the most refreshing thing I've tasted. There is a kind of unsettling, sour taste to this brew. I notice the same thing in the Sublimely Self-Righteous. The finish is nice and smooth though and this, in my opinion, is where the Oaked AB differs from the regular flagship version.

M: The hoppy sourness clings to the taste buds like crazy and just lingers! I noticed quite a bit of frothy lacing.

D: I always want to route for this beer (as I do many of Stones IPA and "Strong Ales"), but every time drink this brew, I notice the same unpleasantness time and time again. I'm sure others with disagree and that's fine, but this beer just doesn't do it for me.

09-12-2010 01:36:44 | More by Chaney
FSUplumber

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

I pored this from a 12 oz. bottle into a sole cup. Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorites so I was ready to try this new twist.

A- Nice tan head with fine bobbles. dark copper in color.

S- Malt with some coffee and carmal

T- Dark malt and hopps a little oak that dryed it out and left a taste that lasted on the tounge

M- Good and firm

D- A nice change but one is enough

09-11-2010 00:42:00 | More by FSUplumber
TexIndy

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating info. Was a mostly clear ruby color with slight carb streams. It had about a finger of foam that settled into a good collar and covering film. Slow sliding lace with plenty sticking.

The aroma was a combination of grapefruit and pine hops mixed with caramel malts with slight oak and vanilla aromas. Was good but not great. The taste was also a mix of pine and caramel malt. The oak came thru more but the vanilla was gone. Just didn't do much for me and I love the regular version. So either a bad bottle (but can't tell cause they didn't date it) or just don't like the oak effect. Mouthfeel was medium with good carb. Didn't like the aftertaste.

Overall, a good but not great beer for me. I'll stick to the regular Bastard. Will need to re-try just to make sure I didn't have a bad one. Avail here in TX. Rotation - one re-sample to make sure but probably one is enough [RS;O]

09-07-2010 02:02:21 | More by TexIndy
twiggamortis420

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz bottle without a freshness date pours a very hazed, reddish-copper color with a large topping of tan foam. Retention is excellent as it slowly fades to a canyonous patchwork of chunky head with tons of lacing.

Nose is sweet with spicy wood undertones and a shitload of caramel maltiness. Hops are a bit milder than on the regular AB, but there are still some piney and citric notes in there.

Oooh, vanilla and oak flavors really smooth this bastard out. Nice. Plenty of both malt and hops, the former being a bit sweet and very much burnt caramel. Hops are subdued pine resin flavors and a healthy dose of pithy bitterness. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy and coats the mouth easily with oaky goodness. I really have never seen the great appeal for the original Arrogant Bastard, but the 'Oaked' version stands out as a pretty damn good beer. The flavors seem to come together much better and does not show the same roughness as the unoaked version. This one is pretty smooth and tasty. I bought this as a single, but now I think I will spring the 14 bucks for a sixer and see how it progresses over a year or two in the cellar.

09-06-2010 22:43:55 | More by twiggamortis420
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.