Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
JTWILDOATS

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Stone does it again!

This incredible brew pours like a beautiful amber ale, smacks like a floral IPA, warms like a world-class stout, and sits like an afternoon pale ale. To restrict this beer to the category of 'ale' does not do it justice. Stone deserves a categry of its own.

I love the traditional Stone, IPA hop taste--but well in balance with the backbone of the warming oak and syrupy flavor. This has the sophisitacted malt of a barleywine but its alcohol presence is nothing overbearing.

Instant classic.

11-03-2009 19:59:26 | More by JTWILDOATS
thespaceman

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12oz bomber into a snifter

Appearance: Pours a beautiful deep amber/brown in color, a huge billowing head on this one, with extra soapy lacing all around the glass. The head stayed firm the entire ride through, and retention was excellent.

Smell: I get alot of sweet malts up front, more so then regular Arrogant Bastard. Very subtle hop aromas are prevalent as well. Lots of darker fruit popping out here, a touch of alcohol, and some wood like aromas. Very aromatic.

Taste: Caramel malts really show up big time, compared to Arrogant Bastard, the maltiness really stands out, although a deep citrus flavor starts to show up when this warms up a bit. I also get bits of oak, dried fruit, and a really subtle candy like sweetness that overtakes the palate. Very bold and flavorful.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, the malt makes this bastard extra smooth on the tongue. Decent carbonation, a small bitterness from the hops is present but not as much as the regular AB.

Drinkability: I love how smooth this beer is, the malts really make this thing a treat to sip and savor. Letting it warm up shows the good hop aromas are still around. Coming in at 7.2% ABV, this bastard is dangerously drinkable, and very easy to session with. Although at nearly $15 a six pack, I'm glad I was able to get just a single bottle of this without killing my wallet. Overall a pleasurable experience that I will definetley come back to again.

11-03-2009 13:41:10 | More by thespaceman
feelmefoam

South Carolina

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a Stone pint glass.

Pours a beautiful dark, cloudy amber color with two fingers of cream-colored, foamy head that takes a while to diminish. When the head leaves, there is some nice sticky lacing on the outside of the glass.

A nice sweet, caramel maltiness greets me with the first sniff. Soon after, some piney, sappy hops make their way into the aroma, with some dark fruitiness following. Not too much in the way of oakiness in the nose, but it smells awesome.

When the beer first hits my tongue, I immediately notice the maltiness that was presented in the nose. The bready and caramel malt tones wash over the palate, then are chased away by some evergreen and citrus hop flavor. Just as I was about to ask, "What makes this oaked?", the oakiness shows up at the end of the sip and smooths everything out. A very complex yet delicious flavor. Easily a 5.0.

Awesome mouthfeel as well. Medium bodied with a simple amount of carbonation and an alcohol presence that isn't brutal, it warms my tongue a bit just to let me know it's there. A lot smoother than the original Arrogant Bastard, as I remember.

Mmmm... for a beer that's marketed as being aggressive, this is a lot smoother than it's non-treed brother. I really liked the original AB, this one is exceptional. The drinkability on this is insane, I could drink several in one sitting. An aggressive beer that is complex and absolutely delicious.

11-02-2009 03:04:16 | More by feelmefoam
Duhast500

Rhode Island

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a point glass.

The color is a dark orange-amber with three finger of brownish foamy head and some think lacing that takes some time to dissipate.

The smell is an oatmeal flavor mixed with a wet hoppy, funk flavor that is strong to the nose. Gives off a bit of a bready almost yeasty flavor as well.

The taste is a spicy oat flavor with some strong hop character. Some nice wet hop flavor at first with some aggressive toasty flavor in the background with some more of that funkiness..

The feel of this beer is a bit light with low carbonation and a good drinkability.

11-01-2009 23:46:30 | More by Duhast500
JerzDevl2000

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked this up a few weeks back in Totowa because it's Stone and dammit, I was able to get this in a single bottle! I"ve never had this and I've hard lots of good things about this beer. Sure enough, they're alll true...this is certainly the real deal and one of the smoothest brews that I've had in a long time.

This beer had one of the most gorgeous hues I've seen in a long time - a radiant reddish-brown with a nice head to go along with it. The lacing wasn't anywhere to be seen but that was about the only thing wrong with this. As I said before, this is very smooth and had a very woody and nutty taste to this. The hops are there - succinct and almost dry, but never overwhelming. I can't really taste the citrus or lemon flavors that a lot of reviewers have commented on but I could sense the pine and metallic notes just a bit. The aftertaste has the hop presence lingering with just a bit of lemon zest but overall, this goes down very easy for an American Strong Ale.

Part of that is because the alcohol is seemingly only the number on the bottle. It doesn't feel anywhere close to 7.20% and I would almost qualify this as a session beer, regardless of how high that % is. This is an absolute winner and worthy of the accolades that everyone has given it on here. This is a beer that's strong in craft and taste but not in it's punch. A worthy achievement indeed!

11-01-2009 07:40:26 | More by JerzDevl2000
EgadBananas

Louisiana

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Very much like the normal arrogant. I find this to be a tad smoother. Theres still a lot of crisp, hoppy bitterness to the smell and taste. Theres also a hint of something citrus in there as well. The alcohol taps you on the shoulder just to let you know its there.

This is great, and I would probably take this over the normal Bastard due to it's inhanced comlexity and hightened drinkability.

10-31-2009 23:37:19 | More by EgadBananas
BevMoAndrew

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Served into a Bruery Tulip glass at about 45 degrees.

Shows a ruby/brown color in the glass with a thick froth. Louds of chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, dark berries, cirtus hops, oak, and vanilla dominate the nose & palate. This is an outstanding brew!

10-30-2009 02:38:34 | More by BevMoAndrew
Intimidtor

2.73/5  rDev -35%

I have enjotyed most American Strong Ales that I've had. This one is not for me. I think I would love this beer without the oak after taste. Poured from bottle into clean glass. About 1/4 inch of head. Smelled inviting and first taste had me questioning what it was I just tasted. Continued on and it never got better. I'm not saying this is a bad beer becase many like it. Just not for me. Ill stick with Great Lakes Nosferatu for an American Strong Ale.

10-30-2009 02:15:09 | More by Intimidtor
boogyman

Washington

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Love the regular ABA, am looking forward to the oaked version.

A- Pours a dark amber to a brownish color. Looks very clear with some bubbles comes up from the bottom. The thick 2 finger head has good retention and doesn't fully go away during the drink. Suds hang around the sides of the glass as I drink. Lacing is pretty sticky hanging around a while.

S- First thing I smell is the citrus hoppyness of the beer. At the same time though, I also get some ever so slight burnt woody smell. The fruityness does dominate the nose, however.

T- Wow, pretty crazy on the flavors. It starts off with some citrus grapefruit lemony flavors then morphs into some woody burnt oakyness then back to the hops then a nice tingle of the boozyness. It is like my palate can't decide what it wants to do. I am loving the taste of this brew.

M- Carbonation is perfect. I can feel the carbonation but it does not bite too hard and at the same time it is smooth going down. Boozyness is perfect, hoppy bitter alcohol taste lingers in the mouth begging for the next sip to wash it down and replace it for more.

D- I most definitely could have myself many of these in one session. I think I may like this more then the original. I am gonna be going back to buy some more of this.

10-29-2009 02:00:52 | More by boogyman
Blitzstyle

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a pint glass nice three fingers of head and some great laceing. Deep amber color.

Smells roasted malts and some sweetness some coffee hints as well.

Taste caramell and honey with some earthy under tones and some boozeyness. Nice hoppy bitterness.... Beer still has a nice head on it bout half way done with it.

Big mouthfeel medium heavy body almost porterish.

Really great in taste but packs a punch.

10-28-2009 21:34:10 | More by Blitzstyle
advill88

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

A - Beautifully dark with a hint of gold and a thick, creamy half-inch head.

S - Incredible smell like roasted malts and honey with some rich coffee.

T - Wow...some incredibly complex flavors going on here. A strong taste of hops with strong malty flavors of roasted coffee and hints of chocolate rounding out the flavor. Incredibly balanced.

M - Medium body with just enough carbonation, but not enough to take away from the incredible creamy smoothness present here.

D - Despite the relatively high alcohol content and very strong flavors, I can safely say that I could easily put away at least several of these at a time if I were so inclined.

What a wonderfully complex but balanced beer; I can't say I've ever had anything like it. I didn't think the regular Arrogant Bastard could be surpassed, but this definitely does so.

10-28-2009 20:31:02 | More by advill88
devilben02

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a deep mahogany color with a thin head. The aroma isn't very distinct at first, with just a hint of malt sweetness. As it warms, however, scents of fruit and alcohol come out. In contrast to the mild aroma, there is nothing non-distinct about the flavor. Every sip is jam-packed with flavor, with a rich, dry fruitiness and notes of caramel contrasting with a potent, woodsy hop bitterness. The heat of the alcohol is apparent, but it is not overwhelming, and the rich smoothness of the beer helps to tame the booziness. Despite the many-faceted boldness in the flavor, it is quite drinkable. Two thumbs up... enjoyed every sip.

10-27-2009 13:05:22 | More by devilben02
CHILLINDYLAN

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Dark semi-opaque browned amber with red highlights. Good chunk of creamy tanned head. With sticky lacing.

Sweet toasty caramel with an earthy oak and woody aroma. The hops are earthy pine, herbal, and a touch of grapefruit. The alcohol is also apparent.

Roasty earthy woody oaky. Toasty toffee. Pine, spicy resins, hint of grapefruit. Bitterness is smooth and mellow with earthy pine and oak. Warming alcohol bite that goes so well with this oaky brew.

Smooth, mellowed beast, dry, nice full body.

Great character in this beer. Quite a monster that has been aged and mellowed.

10-23-2009 00:45:23 | More by CHILLINDYLAN
SkunkWorks

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

I saw this in my local beer store after not seeing it anywhere for the longest time so I decided to pick it up and I am glad I did. It pours a dark orange, almost brown, with a solid head formation (better than Arrogant Bastard if I recall correctly). The lacing it leaves lingers for a few minutes before dissipating.

As for the taste, imagine a more mild, drinkable Arrogant Bastard. The oak definitely takes away a lot of Arrogant Bastard's harshness and makes it a less challenging beer. It retains the bitterness but adds a bit of complexity.

Overall, I love this beer! Another hit by Stone. I'm glad I have five more sitting in my beer fridge. Definitely pick this one up!

10-22-2009 03:06:56 | More by SkunkWorks
mynie

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Really? I've never had this before? Hmm...

The bottle says it expires today.

Aside from that, pours absolutely wonderful considering its ABV. Deep, dark translucent orange red with a thick, tight, and retentive head that like the layer of suds above a mopbucket.

Smells like caramel, hops, and smoothness. Were I not accustomed to wonderfully oak aged beers, I wouldn't pick it up. It's not a bourbon aging, remember. It's just deep, soft woodiness that comes across like vanilla and fragrant cigar tobacco.

Tastes like it smells only somehow smoother. Big, thick toffee malts without any icky syrupiness or other painfully intense nodes. Soft vanilla wood in the middle, finishing on thick, bitter sour American hops.

Super intense yet also super smooth and drinkable. World class.

10-22-2009 02:55:19 | More by mynie
thain709

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

A - A deep amber that show cases both mahogany and ruby highlights...the head is a creamy tan color and stands about two fingers...nice lacing

S - A hop bouquet focusing on the floral and citrus hops...lots of bright orange and grapefruit...there is a faint malt presence

T - The malts really come into play in the flavor...they were really hidden in the nose but they pair nicely with the assertive hops in this one...they play a role but they aren't the star...the hops are definitely the star with the orange, lemon, and grapefruit flavors really standing out...I could not detect the oakiness as much but I'm guessing it pairs with the malts and blends together to take the hops down in bitterness...the ending is neither bitter nor sweet...it's solid

M - Medium bodied...the cask added some creaminess but I wanted a lingering bitterness

D - This one was good but I think I would take a regular Arrogant Bastard...the hops are perfect in this one and the oak only shines through to take the hops down a notch

Serving type: cask

10-20-2009 13:02:59 | More by thain709
kenito799

3.78/5  rDev -10%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Hazy dark amber brew with a rocky foamy tan head that leaves beautifully intricate lacing. Looks great.

Aroma is powerfully delicious, caramelized apricot, grapefruit, pine. I don't detect oak. The hoppiness of this string beer hits hard up front, with full-on grapefruity bitterness, balnced breifly by a rich mouthfeel then a lingering very bitter finish. Very delicious, but a bit exhausting and bit unbalanced. I would believe this to be a DIPA. I also can't quite tell what the oak brings to this...I would like to taste this and regular AB side by side to compare.

10-20-2009 01:33:55 | More by kenito799
vdread

Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale
bottle to glass

pours a dark orange with an off white, evenly lacing head. smells of hops, tart cherries, understated malt. LOADED with flavor! tastes of bready caramel malts, spiciness, and orange hops bitterness. the taste is a more distinct and polished version of its little brother. mouthfeel is a little dry with some alcohol astringency.

this guy is strong (a healthy ABV) and bursting with flavor. it's good for occasional drinking, but i can't see myself drinking this regularly.

10-19-2009 23:32:03 | More by vdread
cavedave

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

The pour results in placing a dark, clear, brown/ruby gem into my snifter. Languishing above is a beautiful two finger head, which diminishes slowly to a persistent ring and bubbly cap. A gentle swirl produces lush mountain ranges of lace cling. Mmm.

The smell seems not as strong as regular AB. but it's been a while since my last AB. It brings back memories though, as sweet citus, mild spicy notes, even milder yeast and floral hints effervesce gently into my nasal pleasure centers.

The flavor seems gentler as well, perhaps not in amplitude, but in a way of mixing the flavors that makes it less abrupt. Delicious. Gentle malt notes of bread and light caramel mingle with sweet citrus (mmm,orange rind, grapefruit, tangerine), very mild oak notes, and crest into an herbal/floral/bitter finish that is clean and juicy side of dry. The beer has warmed now, and the oak is starting to shine, nice, it really mixes in well, also some light vanilla sneaking in, the finish is drier and longer. Wow.

Like its oakless brother, OAB has perfect mouthfeel for a strong ale. It promotes a finish of astounding clarity, cleanliness, and flavor.

Drinkability? Off the charts. Careful with this one.

10-16-2009 23:01:01 | More by cavedave
jt31914

12 oz. Bottle:

A: 3/4 fingers of head, murky brown and hazy color. No head retention or carbonation rising.

S: Smells like sweet honey, cloves and oak with some hops thrown in. Wonderful smell.

T: Great taste, slightly bitter oak taste with sweet honey clove taste complementing it. Simple but not overdone, this is a fantastic brew.

M: Smooth and pleasant.

D: Very drinkable and relaxing to drink

To me this is very much superior to the regular Arrogant Bastard.

10-15-2009 05:10:04 | More by jt31914
velosuds

Oregon

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

From a 12oz. bottle into a clear pint glass. Single purchased at John's Market Place for $2.79.

A-pours a beautiful copper red brown with a one to two finger cream-colored head with strong retention. Lacing is even all the way down the glass.

S-Citrusy and floral hops with some faint malt aroma. Smell is not quite as good as AB. Perhaps the oak chips affected this as I think it did the taste.

T-Hop bitterness at the beginning that finishes with a mellow woody taste. I don't like this as well as AB that is more balanced and sweet.

M-Very smooth and creamy without being oily or buttery. Nice.

D-Like the original AB, the 7.2% ABV is dangerously masked. I don't notice it in the taste. Very drinkable. But I guess I learned I don't like wood in my beer.

10-15-2009 03:34:10 | More by velosuds
far333

Connecticut

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%

Reddish copper colored with a head of off-white foam that rises up thickly and then settles out to a thin cap of uneven soapy bubbles.

Low aroma of floral and citrus hops, faint maltiness.

Flavor of muted malt upfront, citrus hops, and strong woody, earthy flavors. Hints of vanilla poke through, but it's mostly woody. Not so much oaky, just woody and becoming more one-dimensional as I sip.

Moderate carbonation, full mouthfeel, but very tannic and puckery. Average drinkability, I don't think the oak does anything better for an already very good beer.

10-13-2009 22:24:41 | More by far333
ImusBeer

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Mainly got this one due to the fact it was aged in oak.

It poured a dark amber with a very small off white head.

My nose detected the pine hoppiness and little else, the taste was mostly pine with some molasses and then some of the oak I was waiting for.

The mouthfeel was mainly Hoppy and tangy, light carbonation. This is good very complex beer, I'll be enjoying this one again.

10-09-2009 16:16:24 | More by ImusBeer
FloppyDog

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Pours a deep amber-brown, almost like a scotch ale. Very minimal head, although I tried.

Aroma is of citrusy and spicy hops with a slight oak profile. Sweet malts and alcohol round out the aroma.

Taste is a pleasant balance of grainy malt and loud hop bitterness. Oak pleasantly lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouth feel is fairly viscous (solid medium to medium-full). The carbonation is just right for the amount of bitterness present in this brew.

Overall, a deep and complex offering. Enjoyable.

10-09-2009 02:26:27 | More by FloppyDog
PorterLambic

2.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours a beautiful clear reddish-brown. Nice 1" head, light tan with great retention. Thick and creamy leaving great lacing.
Smell is hops, a hint of grapefruit and the absolute faintest hint of malt.
Taste is hops, malt, grapefruit, faint oak note.
Medium body, medium effervescence with a crisp tingle up front and a smooth finish. ABV is not noticed at all. Mostly hops aftertaste with a slight caramel note. No oak noticed at all and little malt.
A decent beer but not up to the expectations of a Stone brew.

10-04-2009 18:40:12 | More by PorterLambic
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.