1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a pint glass, amber with creamy head with great retention and lacing. Smell was toasty and malty sweetness then piney and oiily hops. Taste was of big caramel malts up front, then earthy hops smoothed by the oak aging. Dry smooth finish from the wood. Fantastic beer, one of my go-tos.

stingrayvr6, May 10, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz bottle drank from a standard american pint glass. there was a best by date on the bottle and it wasnt up yet, but i cant remember what it was.

A- this one pours out a reddish brown colored body with a finger and a half of off white colored head. the head lasts a while, leaving behind small spots of lacing.

S- sweet caramel and toffee malts. a little bit of vanilla from the oak. a little bit of booze. tons of piny and citric hops. lots of grapefruit.

T- the taste follows suit. starts off with sweet caramel and toffee like malts that eventually get over powered by the grapefruit and pine flavored hops. slight astringency from the oak.

M- medium to full bodied and well carbonated. there is a nice dryness form the oak chips.

D- easy to drink and a nice change of pace from the original bastard, but i think the original one edges this one out. even more so when the price point comes into play.

jwinship83, May 10, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Was very excited to try this beer, after reading all of the reviews and reading about it in Naked Pint. Appearance: reddish, really no head to speak of, little lacing. Smell: grapefruity hops and wood. Taste: hops is the most prominent taste but as it goes down, there's some dark fruit maybe and yes, a hint of mint. I let this one warm up a little. So glad I did; it grows with complexity as you continue to sample it and drink it at room temperature. It's truly delicious but the slight bitter after taste will keep me from actively seeking this one out again.

Zekezilla, May 10, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Free 12 oz bottle from Warehouse Liquors, Wabash Ave., Chicago. They like when you bring them homebrew.

Pours syruply into a 16 oz pint glass and is an opaque amber-brown w/ chill and barely transparent when warmer. The head is tan with dense, tightly-packed bubbles.

Tart earthy smell of with some vanilla and some raisin. Also a barleywine malt aroma smell like a high-alcohol beer, though is neither fusel nor astringent. Dark berries or prune and some oakiness is evident and subtle.

Not as thick as I would have thought, but fills the mouth fully.

Oak is mostly in the nose though some vanillin is preent in the flavor. To me just as good as regular arogant bastard, which I could interchange frequently without regret.

tapman, May 09, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

best by date of 6/17/10, poured into a beer glass.

Very pretty reddish brown. You could pick up chicks at a party based on the appearance of this beer alone.

Lovely smell, won't bore you with what I think I smell. I don't think that "smell" should even be a category, [typical example of over analyizing]. "smell" is a sub category of "taste" and it is ultimately the taste that counts.

OK, here we are at the only category that matters to me. I love it. There is a sweetness that rescues my tongue from the hoppy assault. The rich maltyness is what I love about it though.
I'm not aware of any "oaky stuff" going on, if it had not have been mentioned on the label I would not have been "looking" for it.
Overall, this is very good...but not enough to make me want to throw down a prayer rug in the direction of San Diego County. For me there are still better beers to be had for less money.

industrialswill, May 08, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Was super excited to try this beer after what I'd heard about it.
Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Beer pours a smooth brown/copper, almost deep red hue. Creamy head with not a ton of retention. Lacing was pretty sticky but not overwhelmingly so.

Smell is awesome. Floral is definitely present, as is the "oaked" smell, as marked on the bottle. Smells a little woody. Also has some fruity undertones, maybe a little citrus. The easiest to notice is the floral vs malt battle. Both smells are in your face and balance well together.

The taste surprisingly different than the smell. You can taste the oak much more than you can smell it. Not a bad thing, but its much more there in the taste. The same is true of the citrus smell. Not as present in the taste. Overall the taste is a little dry, more hoppy than malty, though a balance is there. And you can tell they fight in the taste as much as they do in the smell. I agree with another review that said this left him wanting a little more of the fruit taste that was in the smell. At the same time, it's still an enjoyable flavor for sure.

The mouthfeel is a little dry like I said before. Good carbonation though and it's not too heavy at all.

Last but not least, the drinkability is quite good. The abv is up over 7% but you wouldn't know. The other flavors eat up the alcohol. I probably couldn't drink more than 3 in a session without getting sick of it, but I'd enjoy the hell out of those three.

kmdawber, May 05, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours into a pint glass a deep brown body. Slight orange light to it. Light brown head that has large bubbles throughout the 2 inch width. Great lacing, leaves evidence of every sip.

S - Strong malt smell. Slight roast character. Overall, not a very distinguishable smell. Would have liked more hops or specialty grains in this smell.

T - Spicy taste to this. Doesn't have a huge bite, but has a lingering hop taste. No alcohol taste. Slight malt sweetness near the end; good backbone. Almost a coffee taste upon retro olfaction. I think I'm tasting something hickory or smokey, but that might just be my imagination. There's definitely something complex behind the initial flavor that makes you want more.

MF - Smooth body. Very comforting to drink. Large beer, but won't fill you up.

D - Good drinkability, but I can't see myself having more than 2 or 3 in a night. Too strong to enjoy past one or two. Complex enough to get time after time though.

MikeBrandman, May 05, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. Nice golden/ruby color on this one, with a large, tan two-finger head. Little to no haze present, decent retention, and some pretty sticky lacing.

Smell: Pretty intriguing aroma here, with floral, wood, and citrus notes vying for their share of my attention. I'm also picking up some yeasty influence and a touch of dark fruits reminiscent of a Trappist ale. Good malt presence also, with hardly any alcohol discernible in the nose.

Taste: Surprisingly dry given the smell of this beer. I can taste the oak influence, and the hops definitely have their place as well. It seems to me that there could be a little more malt punch though; I found myself wanting more of the dark fruit flavor that the smell suggested. I only bought one of these, but I would be interested to try an aged bottle. Perhaps a little time would smooth things out a bit.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with adequate carbonation. Again, a little dryness and astringency prevented all the flavors from coming to the party.

Drinkability: I liked the beer, but I don't think I could have too many of these. The tannins in this one are a bit much.

BuckyFresh, May 05, 2010

A: Nice appearance. Very dark with a medium brown head and nice lacing.

S: Very nice nose. I can smell the "oak" effect, but the Arrogant Bastard is still here with a malty, hoppy nose. Quantity is a bit lacking but this isn't an especially strong brew so I'll give it a pass.

T: The taste is great. You have to try the Arrogant Bastard first, but the low-down is in-your-face medium to dark malts with pungent hops and a woody aftertaste from the oaking. The oaking has the effect of smoothing things out significantly (the Arrogant Bastard is really in-your-face) but at the same time, in my opinion, subdues some of the "arrogance" of the brew and detracts from what the beer originally was. I would say most normal people would prefer this over the regular Arrogant Bastard because it's clearly more refined and homogeneous...in fact, in most ways, this is a "better" beer, however, it's my review, and I'm saying I like the regular better.

M: Perfect carbonation but the oaking makes the mouthfeel a little awkward.

D: This stuff is extremely strong. I'm glad I only got a small bottle!

JohnL9013, May 02, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured in to a Duvel tulip

A - Poured a very deep amber/light brown with moderate carbonation and one finger of cinnamon-white head.

S - Malts with sweet caramel and dark fruit in the background.

T - Sweet malts with some bitter citrus hops on the finish. I don't get a lot of the oak/vanilla that I expected, but there is a subtle oak taste in the background. Definitely some alcohol present in this one as well. The hops are very predominant as I continue to drink this and they dominate the oak palate that I was looking forward to tasting.

M - Medium body, light carbonation.

D - This was one different and very enjoyable. I would buy this again and would love to try it fresh on tap.

TheSevenDuffs, Apr 30, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale pours into a pint glass a beautifully clear garnet/copper color with a thick off-white head. Retention is good and the beer exhibits lots of lacing.

The scent of this beer is big on the hops. Spicy, floral, citrus notes and thick resinous pine are all here. There is a slightly sweet background.

The taste is very nice: The hop bitterness beautifully complements a spicy and slightly peppery old oak taste. The malty sweet backbone shines through along with the actual hop flavours of thick citrus fruits. Medium-bodied and appropriately carbonated, OABA is wonderfully drinkable.

MrHassellYaHurd, Apr 30, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +4%

A - Pours a gorgeous dark reddish brown. It maintained a nice off white head

S - Nice hint of vanilla from oak chips, followed by almost a hoppy citrus and pine, malts. Very nice

T - Time and oak did this wonders. Loving the vanilla/oak from the barrell chips. I was surprised by the smokiness of it.

M - Very smooth, there's a nice crispness from the alcohol, which is very well balanced.

D - I found this to be very drinkable. The smokiness of it started off as a problem but as it warmed, really blended well with everything else.

Espenoza, Apr 28, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Very excited to try this one, been looking for it for a month or so. Finally found it at Thornton Grill in Sperryville, VA.

Pours a fairly deep reddish brown with a light tan good sized head that stays around nicely and leaves some decent lacing down the glass. Nice looking brew.

Smells of a bit of vanilla up front, followed by a nice hit of grapefruit and pine, with a touch of citrus. Little bit of a floral aroma.

Taste is very very good. Grapefruit, pine, and citrus hop flavors are balanced by some vanilla and caramel. Just a great flavor for a strong ale. Not too overpowering, so it's also very drinkable. I had high hopes for this one, and it didn't disappoint at all.

HURTemHIZZY, Apr 27, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

I like this more than the standard Arrogant Bastard. Pours a Brownish red with some copper tones and foamy cream colored head. The nose is filled citrus, vanilla, grapefruit and red fruit. Hoppy aromas with a nice touch of oak. The malts and hops intermingle with notes of grapefruit and red berries. The oak nicely balances the hops

WhatsNewinBooze, Apr 24, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from Buffalo, pours a rich butterscotch amber with a finger of fluffy head which keeps at least a thin sweater on top.

Nose is a nice mix of floral and light fruity hops, a fair bit of butterscotch coming through, pretty sweet, bready malt, just a hint of alcohol. Not as hefty as expected.

Pretty damn balanced. Light caramel and bready malt, butterscotch and vanilla, just a hint of earthy wood. Citrus hops, citrus rind and touch of grassiness, gives a pleasant, strong resiny drying finish. Slight brown sugar, sweet juiciness in the middle. Creamy body, long finish. Pretty hard to pick anything wrong out of this one. Nothing too bold, everything there, extremely drinkable.

Damn. I wish had access to this.

ritzkiss, Apr 24, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into a tulip.

A- Real dark caramel red body topped with a nice bubbly off-white head with some serious staying power. Nice.

S- Caramel comes back in the malts with a little bit of licorice and oaky vanilla. Finishes with some subtle citrus hoppy smoothness. Complex and compelling.

T- Really smooth, even more than a Stroh's Light, if you can believe that. Very dry from the oak aging, but what it loses in malt sweetness, it gains in oaky vanilla and smoke. After taste is a little pilsy. Nice, but doesn't punch you right in the tongue the way I expected.

M- Thick as they come, coats like crazy, this is serious stuff.

D- I could drink a ton of these if I had to.

Never had the non-oaked variety of Arrogant Bastard, but I want to try it. Good stuff, my friends.

rawthar, Apr 23, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -22.1%

12 oz bottle. Beer was about a month past the drink-by date when sampled. Apparently this is not supposed to matter much..

Pours translucent ruby brown, good tan head. Smell is earthy malts, a bit of must; in fact, with nice sweet notes. First taste is a sheet of (one-dimensional) hops that turns into the customary AB fruity, butterscotchy, malty thing, followed by a super-dry finish that I can only liken to "sucking on a wood chip." Not my thing, but I'm glad I tried it once.

sixerofelixir, Apr 22, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +10%

Poured into a Sam Adams beer glass from a Stone 12oz bottle. This beer is beautiful.

It has a hard ruby color that is just perfect. I would kill to get this color with my homebrew. Crystal clear too.

Beautiful light colored head.

The nose is nice floral hops and a great malt edge. The taste is much more mellow and not even close to the intense hop left hook of the standard AB. Its oak character has mellowed this quite nicely. I get grapefruit and malt up front. Nice clean finish. There is a great citrus tart flavor to this beer. I personally feel it blows the regular version of Arrogant Bastard out of the water.

I would happily drink this all the time. I guess my only criticism is that this thing is $3.75 for a 12oz. I would love to add it to my rotation of commercial beers but its just too damn expensive.

elvisnj, Apr 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz bottle poured into mug

A: Beer pours a hazy brown, with red highlights, with 1 and a half fingers of tan head that dissipates slowly, leaving nice lacing

S: Some woodiness, with sweet malts, and some earthy and piney hops.

T: Sweet, tart, oaky woodiness, followed by the sweet malts, then the piney, earthy hops. The hops in this are more subdued than in the original arrogant bastard, making it quite different from the original. Finishes with a bit of citrus bitterness

M: Medium bodied with lots of carbonation

D: Definitely a sipper, but very drinkable. Very complex and enjoyable

Overall, this is definitely more complex than the original, not as bitter, but it is its own beer really. I really enjoyed this one.

cdbooth219, Apr 22, 2010

Pretty much side by side with the regular arrogant bastard.

Poured from a bottle without a date into a becher. Beer is brown and hazy forms a thin off white head of medium bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate.

Aroma is strong, lots of malts, nice hop character and a slight tinge of alcohol. This one has some woodsy, oak aroma to it, still smells good.

Still medium bodied and lots of carbonation. The flavor of the oak is there as well but the hops seem off in this one. The bitterness isn't matched with the original and I don't like it as much.

drabmuh, Apr 20, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

This was really good. I'm not sure exactly what "Oak Aged" means, but if they just added wood chips into Arrogant Bastard and let them soak for awhile, I would say it added a slight sharpness to the taste. It still has a nice, smooth dark flavor to it, but I could almost get the taste of cut wood somewhere in the mix.

professorninja, Apr 18, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: Poured a dark ruby amber, clear. Three finger khaki-colored head with very good retention. Some visible carbonation. Very nice lacing.

Smell: Mild nose of amber ale maltiness. Hint of pine and grapefruit.

Taste: Moderate hops and moderate malts. Hops are are grapefruit/citrus with a dry bite at the end; somewhat "juicy". Smoky malts to balance out the flavor

Mouthfeel: Smooth, mildly carbonation, and a moderate hop bite. Very dry finish, with the hops lingering for a while.

Drinkability: Very nice drinking beer. Very smooth, but with excellent flavor and complexity. The flavor lasts a long time.

Buy Again? Yes.

jonziefle, Apr 17, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my arrogant bastard pint glass, the bottle cap reads "hated by many, loved by few." Appears daaarrrk red to brown in the glass with a nice tan head that dissipates quickly but clings to the sides well. Glows red when held up to the light.

The smell is surprisingly mellow for a stone offering but it's not lacking in goodness, a bit of wood and alcohol esters are there but they definitely threw some extra finishing aromatic hops in there too because I get a little floral balance to the woody alcohol.

The taste is great, definitely more flavor here than the regular arrogant bastard. There is a prominent citrus flavor that is quite spiced up, followed by the bitter hopping coupled with the wood from the oak chips which give it an almost sour bite. Finishes pretty smooth, spicey and herbal in the end which is a great ending to an awesome beer, it seriously leaves my mouth with the feeling I get after having a mint!

Mouthfeel is great, not amazingly exceptional or anything but it makes its presence known. The spiciness and citrus with that minty finish make the feel for sure.

Very drinkable, it's a sipper for sure and puts a smile on my face ever time I take a drink. Overall, great brew, not as good as the double bastard in my opinion but it does go down a slightly different road with the oak chip aging it goes through. Pretty cool flavors come out of that additional wood that aren't present in regular arrogant bastard which make this bad boy all worth it!

dwilson01, Apr 16, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Served in a sniffer, this bottle is about a year old. The beer is a slightly cloudy dark red with a decent tan head that thins to a film and leaves a ton of lacing.

Aroma is strong malt sweetness, dark fruits and faint floral hops and oak. Flavor is oaky and bitter with some malt sweetness in the background. It's interesting, the flavor and aroma profiles are actually quite different.

Mouthfeel is a bit dry, but the bitterness sticks around for a little while. It's the kinda beer you only have once an a while, the six pack lasted me almost a year.

mjaskula, Apr 15, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance- dark brown very dark in color, clear with little to no carbonation, moderate white tan head slowly fades away to what become a white bubble lacing,

Smell- very strong hop smell, but this is the most definite part where it differs from the regular arrogant bastard, oak and vanilla malt kicks into play from this,

Taste- great balance of bold hops and malts to create pleasant and great flavor

Mouthfeel- heavy smooth and complex

Drinkability- I love the balance and complexity on this beer, one thats a pleasure to drink and you would want to drink all night cuz its hard to switch else where after

Stunner97, Apr 14, 2010
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.