Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Wegbier

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

So This will be my first review ever. I was a little shy but this encouraged me to get to it, I wanted to show I am "worthy"

It pours a great off white head that goes above the glass and reduces to an attractive cover. The color is dark red with a nice ruby on the sides.

I cant find much in the smell but a hint of woodiness.

The taste is great with hints citrousy hops and a cleaner finish through the oak.

Mouthfeel is full and heavy and leaves me curious on every sip to find every bit.

Drinkability is a little rough, but that is what stone wants, this no simple beer for the complacent.

03-03-2009 04:43:12 | More by Wegbier
johlendorf

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Worth the price if you can get it, especially in a single.

A = Thick two finger head, sticky lacing. Dark reddish brown.

S = Caramel, hops, slightly smoky wood.

T = This is by far my favorite Bastard! The oak aging really mellows the hops and lets rich malts make an appearance. Mature, complex taste (Grandpa Bastard?)

M = Medium body. The carbonation keeps things light.

D = I rarely have more than two or three beers in a sitting, but could easily put down a six rack.

Sublime balance.

03-02-2009 23:07:48 | More by johlendorf
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Grabbed a bottle of this for my "let's see if this is the time my suitcase gives up the ghost because of beer" return from Austin, Texas a few months ago. As I'm attending a whisky appreciation event this evening, what better way (with beer, anyway) to start things off...

This beer pours a hazy medium dark reddish copper hue, with a few fingers of thick, puffy off-white head, that settles into a cap for a while, leaving remnants of lacing around the glass. The aroma - I can smell it sitting on the table across from me - is dark roasted malts, fruity, with an acrid woodiness. The taste is big caramel malt, wrapped in the flavours of slightly charred oak - vanilla, caramelized sugars, an herbal earthiness. Then the citrus grapefruit and pine hops come crashing down over all of this, not quite balancing things, but at least making certain that all participants are present and accounted for. The body is nice and heavy, sumptuous, a mild carbonation trickling through the morass, the finish relatively light, only a slight malt stickiness and lovely mild citrus hoppiness lingering. This is a pretty decent example of the oaked beer trend of late - would that I could have more than the one of this.

From what I can remember, I like the extra complexity of this beer versus the 'regular' (heh) offering, especially the additional perceived hop components. The oak doesn't change the nature of the base beer, as other oak-aged products seem to show - well, this is Arrogant Bastard we're talking about here, so not much of a surprise, I suppose.

03-01-2009 00:09:22 | More by biboergosum
brianlg

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Probably my favorite tasting beer to date! It pours a maroon/brown color with a two finger head. Smells very sweet like honey, peanuts, and hops. The smell is very pleasant. On first sip, this beer is phenomenal! It's very delicious and tastes just how it smells. It is so smooth! I've never tried the non-oaked AB, but this beer is so good. I am definitely going back to get more!

02-28-2009 21:48:19 | More by brianlg
jculler82

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Fairly aggressive pour leaded to a 1 finger tan head over an orangish brown opaque body. Smell is sweet honey and hops. Hoppy taste balanced by bready malt and oak & alcohol (only every so often) in the finish. Nice thick creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, I'm sad I only had a single, I could have went for 1 or 2 more. Very good beer and if you have to pick between the Oaked A-B and "standard" A-B, go with the Oaked. Dangerously drinkable at 7.20%.

02-28-2009 21:31:07 | More by jculler82
FtownThrowDown

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Porus a reddish brown in color with only a small head that is quickly gone. Smell is strong dark malts and the usual Stone hopping. Taste is much the same, but remarkably the oak is really smoothing this beer out. Wasn't expecting that, but it's well done and taste's good.

02-28-2009 19:57:01 | More by FtownThrowDown
KeefD

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured a deep amber color with a small light tan head and some light lacing. Smell is deliciously hoppy, some sweet caramel, and some noticeable oakiness. Lots of bitterness in the flavor. Light pine and citrus, but a noticeable hop bitterness rather than hop flavor. Oak gives it a buttery, woody flavor, and slightly more complex and drying than the regular Bastard. Medium full body. Very tasty, nice and bitter, big beer without the overly high ABV. Good stuff, but it's been so long since I had regular Bastard that i can't remember which I like better. But this is damn good stuff.

02-27-2009 03:35:27 | More by KeefD
erz316

Indiana

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have only found this in 12 oz bottle, I am pouring it in my old speckled hen pint glass. on for round two of the arrogant bastard challenge!

A - huge frothy head, with nooks and cranies abundant, as with the lacing. the head retains very well. the color is a bit darker than the regular bastard, more like a double double bagged irish breakfast tea.

S - there is hoppiness out front , but additionally there is a grapefruit rind like bitterness that complement the hop bitterness. bits of pine, and a subtle underlay of spice.

T - initial taste is of hops, spicy and floral aspects hitting the tounge. there is a far 'deeper' aspect than the regular bastard that can be attributed to the oak chips. the finish has the hop burst that the regular bastard does and not much else beside some presence of sweet malts and dry alcohol. the aftertaste has a bit of vanilla and continues the alcohol presence.

MF&D the drinkablilty is still exceptional, but the feel is just a bit thinner that the regular bastard, something that I deem not right for this complex and bold a brew.

02-26-2009 23:23:37 | More by erz316
snpub540

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours an opaque brown color but shows maroon hues when it is held up to light. Had a 3/4" off white head that turned into some very clingy lace on the glass.

Smell is very wood and a little bit earthy. There is also some vinous smells in there.

Taste is a hop bitterness attack up front folowed by an oaky finish, with a slightly sweet maybe molasses like finish. Very dry finish.

Medium bodied feel on the palate and it is surprisingly easy to drink. It is smoother than regular AB but has a little bit more taste. One of my favorites .

02-25-2009 04:40:19 | More by snpub540
dukew456

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Lazy Magnolia glass.

Dark Amber in color, with a nice 1-finger head that eventually dissapates into a thin layer that leaves lacing down the glass.

The smell is oak, with a strong caramel malt backbone. After a good long pull, the hops in this beer come up. Very complex, and very appetizing.

The taste on this strong and malty up front, with the oak taking a backseat, but still there. The hops, mingled with an alcohol tinge, come through strong in the finish and complement the fruity characteristics very well. Tasty stuff. The mouthfeel of this bastard makes the beer for me--incredibly soft and smooth for strong ale, probably the result of the oaking.

Not the first time I've had this beer, but the first time I've reviewed it. Wow, I'll not let any jaded beer drinkers bash this one from Stone. Great stuff.

02-25-2009 02:35:50 | More by dukew456
HoustonTX

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard pours out beautifully, dark amber body with stunning ruby highlights. Thick frothy head, with lots of sticky glass coating lacing. Looks great.

Aroma is definitely a lot more woody than it's regular form. Lots of oak, pine, maple, and cherry wood. Huge hop oil notes, herbaceous, resinous, and sweet florals. Along with a hefty backing of dark sticky malts. Very delicious smell overall, highly appealing and definitely gets the mouth watering.

Taste on this one is astounding. Much more complex then regular Bastard. The hops really stand out here. Loads of sappy pine bitterness, sweet tantalizing florals, and immense amounts of citrus. The oak does a wonderful job of integrating with all of the flavor notes, especially the rich malty notes. The balance is phenomenal. Finishes dry, with lingering wood notes.

Well, what else can I say? This one takes one of our all time favorite beers, and takes it up several levels. Great complexity, and perfectly balanced. What else can you ask for?

02-25-2009 02:24:09 | More by HoustonTX
UA8

Washington

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a deep and dark burnt red with a tall and frothy tan head.

S- Scents of wood aging, vanilla , and caramelized malts.

T- Starts lean and burnt toffee sweet, mid palate expands with hints of vanilla and wood roundness. Finishes big with Herbal and piny hops. Delicious.

M- Big, soft, and round.

D- This stuff is so much of an improvement on the regular bastard, it's amazing that by just wood aging it that these flavors can pop out like they do. And at a "mere" 7.2% this stuff could make me happy man all night long.

02-25-2009 02:15:57 | More by UA8
riored4v

Colorado

Properly cellared for one year.

Poured into a Sierra Nevada Tulip glass. 1 finger, tan head. Clear, dark amber w/ hints of ruby.

Smell was malty and sweet w/ a nice smooth oakiness.

Taste had a good amount of oak upfront with a spicey, piney hop finish. Fair amount of roasted malts backed by caramel malts.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated and slightly sticky. Medium body.

Drinkability is fairly good. With the oak and maltiness, the beers feels bigger than it is.

With the cellaring the beer seemed to improve. Still has alot of oakiness and bitterness. Still tasty, but not my favorite Bastard.

02-24-2009 00:46:47 | More by riored4v
JimmieFrisbee

Rhode Island

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a very dark reddish brown with red/orange highlights, with a thick, creamy beigish head. Five minutes later, I've yet to take a sip but the head remains -- great retention.

Smell gives a hop spiciness, with a strong malty base behind it. Hints of alcohol in the scent almost stings the nose. Am I worthy? The bottle suggests I am not.

First sip hits hard initially... hard to tell if its the malt, hops, or alcohol. It all kinds of comes at once. It finishes surprisingly clean. Second sip, I realized how balanced the flavor is. Hard to isolate the parts I thought I identified in the smell, but I'm sure its all there. The maltiness really comes through on the back of the tongue, and I think the hops come through a spicy bitterness (not "hot" spicy, but they seem to be something other than just bitter -- for some reason, spicy is the only word I can come up with).

Nice full mouthfeel. Certainly nothing watery or light about it. Surprisingly drinkable given how intense the smell is, but don't know if I'd be having more than one or two in a night.

I don't have the regular Arrogant Bastard handy for comparison, but I believe if I had a choice between the two, I would choose the oaked version. Something about the finish seems more mellow. Very good, one I would definitely get again, but as I said not more than two in a night.

02-23-2009 21:04:29 | More by JimmieFrisbee
jimj21

Connecticut

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

On the Night of the Barrels, I thought it appropriate to have something aged with wood. 12 ounce bottle poured into a Portsmouth Brewery tulip. Stone has great bottle art, and this is no exception. Pour leaves two fingers of light tan head, which fades to a small cap. There is a small amount of lacing. This beer is a dark amber color. Holding it to the light creates orange highlights around the edges.
The smell is hops, sweet malt, and a bit of oak.
Taste starts out very hoppy, followed by sweet caramel and some citrus. The finish is both hops and oak. A bit of wood and vanilla can be tasted throughout each sip. The oak character really helps to balance this beer, but there is still a lot of delicious, hoppy, bitterness.
Mouthfeel is very creamy. Carbonation is perfect. The alcohol warms the throat a little as it goes down.
Drinkability is pretty high. Nothing is too overpowering, as all ingredients work to balance the others. This is my first beer from Stone and it lived up to the hype. I look forward to drinking more.

02-21-2009 02:45:23 | More by jimj21
cottonkoozie

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Great. Light fluffy head hangs around and leaves lacing down the glass. Good brown color with red hues.

S - Hops at first, but the wood and malts start to come through. Smells great.

T - Amazing. Lots of hops, lots of malts, and the wood aged taste is great. I really can't even describe this in any other form than exceptional.

M - Could be a little fuller, but still very good.

D - This stuff is great, but I couldn't really see myself drinking more than one of these.

Wow, this an amazing beer. I'm really glad I picked this one up, and will be getting this one again. The taste is hard to describe just because its so complex. Truly a great beer. Although somewhat expensive, it is definitely fell worth a try. If you have never tried it at least pick up a single if you see it.

02-21-2009 02:09:05 | More by cottonkoozie
Backer2004

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Found this at a BP for $2 a bottle, yes you heard me right. Since I am such a fan of the regular Arrogant Bastard, I had to pick this up the first time I saw it. Just a bit of piney taste compared to the regular one. I prefer the non-oaked one in fact, but still a very very good beer. For the price, you cannot beat it.

02-21-2009 01:36:18 | More by Backer2004
HalfFull

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a clear reddish amber into a pint glass. Topped with a medium rich inch of tan head initially, shrinking by mid pint to a thin surface film and throwing off a fair amount of lacing all along.

Oak jumps out as I pour the glass. A fair amount of woody hops lie beneath the oak and mix well with a moderate malt structure, a bit of caramel. I would say that the oak enhances the smell of this brew vs. its standard version.

Taste and feel are a bit diminished on the other hand though still very nice. Pick up some moderate caramel malts initially with more earthy hops later on. Occasional blasts of oak. Finishes with a touch of bitterness then a lasting confluence of oak and hops and spice. Feel is a touch thinner than the standard version, or perhaps just different from a bottle, and it does firm up a bit with some warming. Good marks for drinkability, not too sweet or dry, well balanced given the flavors and ABV.

The Bastard(in any of its forms) is Stone's best year round beer in my opinion, and Worthy of its label..

Serving type: growler

02-17-2009 00:55:45 | More by HalfFull
jlb307

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Deep amber with an off-white head. Good lacing once the head was gone.

S: Bitter and woody (natch).

T: Dry and hoppy with a long aftertaste. Not overpowering, though. Very rich, smacks of alcohol.

M: Almost creamy in feel. Decent balance with the carbonation.

D: Easy drinking and well-balanced. I would definitely have again.

02-15-2009 20:21:08 | More by jlb307
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Stone always puts out some great brews and this one is no exception. I loved their regular Arrogant Bastard and the Double Bastard is a beast. I decided I had to try the Oaked Arrogant Bastard. At nearly sixteen bucks a sixer this stuff is damn expensive. Oh well it's only money right?

This one was poured into a Duvel glass. The color (dark woodsy brown), head (off white beautiful lacing), and clarity (or rather lack there of) are identical to the Arrogant Bastard.

The Aroma is extremely oaky but this is not found in the taste - as much. The oak lends a barrier to the hop smells and brings out the sacchrin sweet malt aromas that were previously muted.

The taste is playful and almost belgian-like sweetness is cut short by a massive hop and oak attack that finishes with a harsh but tasty hop bite.

Mouthfeel is a bit light for my taste of an American Strong Ale - which I would not classify this...really more of a double bock but nevertheless a great brew.

I think this is a very drinkable brew but at 7.2% I would not be looking for much more than two of these. Great beer to watch the game with a Blue cheese burger.

02-15-2009 18:59:31 | More by PerzentRizen
ArrogantDeadGuy

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

This was my perfect beer of 2008. From the beautiful brown that bounces all around the glass to the mouth feel which is heavy enough to know you have something in there but not enough to suggest that you're having a meal. The ABV is in perfect balance with the brew's more earthy flavors. From the first sip to the last there is no wandering of flavor. This beer is in your mouth, to the point, and gone until the next sip. The after taste is pleasant and not a loiterer. You can smell this brew from a foot away though its ABV doesn't suggest how strong it actually was. All in all, I recommend this beer to anyone, and as a guy who cooks everything with beer; I must say that using this to cook would be insulting to its true purpose. Put it in a glass.

02-15-2009 14:23:24 | More by ArrogantDeadGuy
gabe23

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Dark amber color with a nice creamy head. Lacing looks great and occurs all the way to the bottom of the glass. Slightly cloudy instead of clear like the un-oaked version.

S - Hoppy aroma with some fruity sweetness deep in the background. It has some earthiness, but I can't say I detect a specific oak fragrance. Some alcohol, but it blends nicely.

T - Starts sweet with a bit of smokiness, but citrusy hops hit you quickly. The bitter hops flavor seems to cling to the inside of your mouth until the next drink. It's fairly dry with a nice, green aftertaste.

M - Full and substantial, but still goes down smooth.

D - This is an easy drinking beer with good balance. Honestly, I don't think this is any better than the regular Arrogant Bastard, but it's a nice change of pace. Another winner for Stone.

02-15-2009 04:22:50 | More by gabe23
projectflam86

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

A- Beautiful amber color with a creamy tan head that pours thick and has good sticky lacing.

S- Smells strongly of piney hops and wood chips. Slight fruit overtones but not much. There is a light malt sweetness as well.

T- Rich hearty malt flavor with a bit of vanilla and strong hops. Little bit of caramel with a slight piney aftertaste. Strong hops + hearty malt = nice balance.

M- Full and creamy with a good amount of carbonation but also a little bit dry with a heavy amount of alcohol bitterness.

D- Great tasting and relatively easy to drink considering high ABV. Highly recommended.

02-15-2009 00:36:28 | More by projectflam86
SidVicious619

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Poured an Deep amber coler from an 12oz bottle with an offwhite lacing. Intial nose is sweet woody hops and citrus aroma. Taste is amazing filled with burst of tangy hops, vanilla and spice. Mouthfeel is great with a long lasting oaky finish. Can't put this beer down!

02-13-2009 23:36:23 | More by SidVicious619
BierFan

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. No freshness date was given on the bottle.

Appearance: Thin film of a light tan head. Clear dark brownish red body. No carbonation. Looks pretty potent.

Smell: Slight aroma of oak and hops.

Taste: Mmmmm. This bottle is fresher than I thought it would be. Oak and citrus comprise the majority of the taste. This is a really well constructed ale. I wish I didn't already have a buzz going so I could enjoy it more.

02-11-2009 01:19:49 | More by BierFan
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.