Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
marvin213

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

It's really brown. Browner, certainly, than your regular ale, but far from the reddish tone I might expect from an oaky beer. The head swelled nicely as I poured this into my Flying Dog pint glass, and a full layering remained as the beverage sat, waiting on my approach. All in all, it's a darker brown (not bronze) than I expected, and that disappoints me slightly. +0.5, however, for the Stone gargoyle.

I definitely smell the oak, but not as much as I had hoped. I don't know why, but this beer I have here is not very aromatic. The taste, I'm sorry to report, is also lacking. I taste an okay ale with a little oak chip flavor. It's okay, but it's not worth the hype and $17 price tag (sixer) it fetches around these parts. With no way to avoid seeing the high "A" rating this beer has before I produce my own review, I'm particularly disappointed that I don't regard this beverage more highly. With Greensboro's own Red Oak as my standard for a good oak beer, I must report that this beer is inferior to that and MAYBE slightly better than average. The gargoyle, however, won't save the rating this time.

The mouthfeel is purty good. Like I've communicated this far, I don't think this beer has a lot of character. Though I yearn for more flavor as I feel the beer, I can say that I enjoy the feel. Still, I'm determined to write an independent review. Mouthfeel is just better than average. The beer's okay, but I won't follow the first with a consecutive second. Stone is good and oak is good, but this beer is average.

04-01-2009 23:22:40 | More by marvin213
rugerj

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Nice mahogany color with a two finger head that stays and stays, nice lacing left in glass. Smell is of slight malt and hops with some earthyness mixed in. Great hop flavor that is well complimented by the slightly malty, sweet oak flavor imparted by the aging process.

Very good beer that everyone should try. The original AB by itself is a great beer. This is is complimented perfectly by the sweet woody flavor that is given by the oak aging.

04-01-2009 19:38:13 | More by rugerj
alovesupreme

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into a Maudite Snifter this beer yielded an off white head over a semi clear dark ruby body. The lazing is great, it is obviously a hoppy beer.
Lots of esters coming through with this beer. Cherry is the most obvious of the fruit aromas. Wood and alcohol are also prominent.
A bubbly mouthfeel with a hoppy syrupy body that make up the mouthfeel. A slightly bitting hop presence is felt but balanced slightly by the oak. Alcohol has a presence as well with a dominating cherry character.
A good beer from a great brewery.Very bold,if you cant take a punch this beer will knock you right out.

03-28-2009 06:07:16 | More by alovesupreme
blaje

Quebec (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Poors as a rich reddish beer reminding me of "Falnder's red" type of beer. Nice head, off-white in color, that stands out for a good five minutes.

Very complex nose. Caramel, malt (tons of it). The hops is not standing out, still citrussy though.

Mouthfeel is great, I'd say even better then the original ricipe.
Still an "aggressive" beer, but the oak tends to melloew the rough edges of the original arrogant bastard ale. It is surprisingly "smooth" even a bit creamy to me, and definetly feels more balanced then her sister.

It is worth trying for sure, but if you'd like a real thing, you should still go for the original ABA.

03-28-2009 00:54:40 | More by blaje
GodOfBeer

Ontario (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a nice mohagoney-reddish colour with a thin off-white head.

Smells very hoppy, citrusy, floral, some woody oaked aromas, as well as strawberries, and melon as the beer warms up, wonderful!

Tastes very hoppy! The oak is just noticeable, the hops just cover it up, some maltiness, light fruitiness, and very floral. Awesome beer.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel, and surprisingly drinkable for the amount of hops!

03-26-2009 04:05:49 | More by GodOfBeer
mlasher1

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

A- Nice amber color with a thin white head..little lacing with head maintaining throughout

S- Decent roasted malt smell with hints of oak..little hop aroma present

T- Nice roasted/oaky taste with relatively low bitterness

M- Complex and pretty heavy body

D- Nice beer to sip on, goes down smoothly, definitely not a session beer.

03-25-2009 23:34:52 | More by mlasher1
gatornation

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

pours a nice nice dark brown/ruby color with good lacing thru-out..the smell is earthy,woody,mossy it looks and smells very good...the taste is good not great its a woody/smokey flavor followed by a hop /alcohol taste and rounded out in a carmel/malt finish.. this beer is good and worth a try..its above average but not one that i will buy a sixer of ill stick to singles on this one.. give this one a try

03-25-2009 21:45:56 | More by gatornation
jujubeast6000

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

Reviewed 9/25/2008 (bottle):

Pours a clear, ruby red colored body, with a huge foamy whitish head, frothy and lasting. Soft aroma, some hops but woody & muted. Not too strong. Muted hoppy taste. Woody. Not a bitter aftertaste. Soft mouthfeel. Sweet aftertaste.

03-25-2009 00:15:19 | More by jujubeast6000
MunchkinDrinker

Maryland

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Pours a slightly hazy beautiful mahogany color with a reddish beige head and a thick lace all the way down. Very pretty.

S - Very earthy. There's some punch from the hops with a backing malty sweetness. The oak undertone brings it all together very nicely.

T/M - The first thing that I tasted, before the tastes sat on my tongue was the oak flavor filling my mouth. Piney/floral hops come next, followed by a huge malty mouthfeel. Very smooth for its agressiveness.

D - I think after one, you'd start to lose the deepness of the flavor, so I wouldn't drink more than one. But, I would drink it all day if I had alot of it.

03-22-2009 23:31:32 | More by MunchkinDrinker
thebarnesbomb

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

How do you round out the bite of the Arrogant Bastard Ale? Oak age it- Outstanding. An absolute pleasure to drink. It's the wiser, older brother to the original. The oak aging really mellows out this hop bite, and leaves a great blend of caramel malts to enjoy. Definitely worth it if you have a few extra bucks

03-16-2009 03:43:54 | More by thebarnesbomb
sweetbrew82

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz. into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Burnt auburn from the bottle, deep brown with amber tints in the glass. Head is impressive! It's light tan, super thick and ultra creamy with excellent retention. Super sticky foam finally sinks to a chunky halo and leaves huge webs of lace in doing so.

A: Surprisingly, it's still pretty hoppy. Citrusy, piney, and an almost herbal-like scent to them. Also, I get a toasted bread-like malt, a nice oaky/woody aroma, and a little alcohol.

T: Malty sweet for the first split-second, then the bitterness hijacks the controls. Big, oily, resinous hops are quite citrusy like brown sugar-crusted grapefruit rinds, oranges, and lemons with some pine sap drizzled over the top. Bready malt forms a very sturdy base underneath, while the caramel and oak notes add some nice depth and complexity. Nice hop bite that brings some spice to the dry finish. Outstanding!

M & D: Full-bodied, thick & chewy, and incredibly smooth. Drinkability is fantastic, I just can't get enough!

Notes: Oak-aged AB is even better than the original! The earthy wood notes add much more depth and makes it much more interesting, especially if you've been drinking the original for a long time. Great hoppy flavor, nice malty presence, and alcohol is masterfully hidden. Just great! Highly recommended

03-13-2009 23:40:26 | More by sweetbrew82
Spikester

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Dark amber with a one finger light tan head. Good amount of lacings. Aroma is peachy floral hops. Taste is citrus hops with a touch of oak tannins. Hops are big, malts are supportive but lose the battle for dominance. Proper amount of carbonation, good mouthfeel. Bitter dry finish. Alcohol is well masked. Tasty, hoppy beer.

03-12-2009 05:28:41 | More by Spikester
curasowa

4.45/5  rDev +6%

I've been eagerly anticipating this one...Poured a cloudy copper color with just a small amount of head that faded quickly without any lacing. Smell is slightly medicinal, slightly sour and kind of earthy, no doubt due to the oaking. I also get a little brown sugar. Wow, the taste is super complex. First hit has some sweetness to it, then a ton of malty body and then bitterness. Not much carbonation, with a lingering finish that is a bit drying. This beer is super smooth and creamy. This is an awesome beer, definitely lives up to the hype.

03-12-2009 00:49:11 | More by curasowa
grayburn

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

The beer pours from the bottle an amber goddess. Very heavy head, nice lacing.
The smell is a bit hoppy, more subdued than the original for sure, with some oak lingering around the edges to keep things interesting. There isn't quite as much oak as I was expecting.
The taste is again not comparable to the original. The oak is way too little, the hops are mellowed, the malt is there, but its got nobody to play with. A good tasting beer, but no bastard.
The mouth is excellent, I was expecting no less, the oak lends a nice smoothing effect.
The drinkability is this beer's strength, you can drink this until the cows come home if you are stupid enough to do so.

03-09-2009 18:29:56 | More by grayburn
HalenRush

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Purchased at the North Coast Co-Op, Eureka, CA.

A - Poured into a New Belgium snifter with a thick, tightly beaded head. Color was a nice walnut brown.

S - The oak is definately present, but has a bit of a sour smell to it. I don't know enough about oak and what it imparts to tell if this is a flaw or not. Aging is present.

T - I detect German Carafa in this brew, but don't know if that is actually an ingredient. The malt has a moderate roasted flavor. Hop bitterness is buried in the roasted flavor.

M - Big aged mouthfeel with a lot of warmth at the end.

D - Not a quaffer. Its good and holds its own, but I wouldn't have more than two in a session. If that sour smell went away it would be more drinkable.

03-09-2009 01:35:26 | More by HalenRush
rodney45

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

I picked up a 6 pack for 14 bucks, and honestly wanted to hate it... i was honestly blown away. Upon pour I recieved a hint of peach and grapefruit, and upon first taste i was blown away... its hoppy, but its flavor compensates for the overwhelming audacity of its marketing campaign. The notes in the beer cannot be described, and ive seen nothing short of perfection in this Ive had 4, and im pretty toppled... The stone brewery has become a favorite of mine over the years, I expect good things to come, and thank god i can get this beer on the east coast. You can taste the difference between the oak aged, and the regular brew. If you can find it, get at least two sixers... the only problem with this brew is that its hard to find. Upon tasting the first beer, i raised my hands up, and said yes.... yes....

03-07-2009 06:11:18 | More by rodney45
dakid618

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle received in trade with kiefdog. Pours a deep red color with a half finger of off white head that leaves a steady coat of lacing around the glass. Smell is definitely oaky and roasty. Taste is oaky up front but is followed by sweet Belgian-like yeast and malt tastes. It's hard to pick out specific flavors. This beer gets way better as it warms. Pretty thick mouthfeel that really coats the mouth and leaves an oaky aftertaste. Drinkabilty is as good a full flavored strong ale can be. My first beer from Stone and I'm fairly impressed.

03-06-2009 02:49:29 | More by dakid618
cmoney311

Wisconsin

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

A: a very interesting appearance. it is mostly a cloudy dark reddish-brown, but the very top 1/8 inch of the beer fades into a cloudy faint orange. not much head, a nice thin cream colored layer.

S: i get hit with the scent of grapefruit and peaches up front while the caramel lingers a little longer in the background. it is also apparent this beer has been in a barrel... a slight smokiness to it.

T: The hops are immediate - a burst of grapefruit and slight peaches that lasts through the end. a nice aftertaste of caramel and hops w/ a bit of smoke. as it warms, i can also smell and taste the pineapple as another reviewer noted.

M: is a little thicker and leaves a tasty coat of caramel and hops in your mouth.

D: I wish i could drink 3 - 4 of these at a time, but these are scarce around here, so i must savor the lone 6er I was given as a gift. this beer is a treat and if it is regularly available for purchase in your area, you must take advantage of it. it hardly gets better than this beer. I first had this beer on tap last year while in downtown San Diego*. as much as i love the bottled version, on tap was near mind-blowing.

*this past November I was in the area and had the opportunity to visit / tour the Stone brewery. while having lunch at their bistro, i was lucky enough to have a glass of a 2006 Oaked Double Bastard. talk about heaven in a glass...

03-06-2009 01:19:03 | More by cmoney311
Thanby

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Deep mahogany color with a thick tan head and good lacing. Smells of thick hops, pineapple and a robust roasted malt. First taste is big hops that penetrate the whole flavor, but are mellowed somewhat by the oak. Lots of pineapple and a potent malt, hints of vanilla and a hoppy finish. Easy to drink if you're a hop-head like me, has a nice bite without going overboard. A fantastic variation of a fantastic beer, quite addictive.

03-06-2009 00:26:43 | More by Thanby
Voonder

Alberta (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours very dark brown with ruby tones. Almost no head. Smell - plums, hint of oak, sweet malts. Taste - bold and bitter hops plus some whiskey-like taste upfront. plum fruitiness with some alcohol. Very bold strong beer, a bit off balance on hoppy side. Full body, semi-dry finish. Very interesting combo of fruitiness, maltyness and bitternes. Very unique. drinkable for ABV.

03-05-2009 06:41:21 | More by Voonder
Rayek

Colorado

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Deep mahogany with nice clarity and fairly active carbonation from small bubbles. Big and tight cream head has excellent retention and leaves a heavy lace.

S: Heavy on the citrus with grapefruit and lemon. As the nose lingers, the aromas of molasses and dark fruits sneak through.

T: Citrus hops dominate out of the gate. Grapefruit and lemon aromas carry through to the flavor. Malt comes on with a thick layer of molasses and burnt oak. Sweet/bitter balance seems better than in the non-oaked version. Finishes tart and dry.

M: The silky smooth medium body feels great in the mouth.

D: I really liked this. It grew on me as I drank it. Not a beer to hurry through. Doing that would cut short the complexities that emerge over the whole experience. The oak adds an extra complexity and smoothness to the mix that I really liked.

03-03-2009 16:01:58 | More by Rayek
Wegbier

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

So This will be my first review ever. I was a little shy but this encouraged me to get to it, I wanted to show I am "worthy"

It pours a great off white head that goes above the glass and reduces to an attractive cover. The color is dark red with a nice ruby on the sides.

I cant find much in the smell but a hint of woodiness.

The taste is great with hints citrousy hops and a cleaner finish through the oak.

Mouthfeel is full and heavy and leaves me curious on every sip to find every bit.

Drinkability is a little rough, but that is what stone wants, this no simple beer for the complacent.

03-03-2009 04:43:12 | More by Wegbier
johlendorf

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Worth the price if you can get it, especially in a single.

A = Thick two finger head, sticky lacing. Dark reddish brown.

S = Caramel, hops, slightly smoky wood.

T = This is by far my favorite Bastard! The oak aging really mellows the hops and lets rich malts make an appearance. Mature, complex taste (Grandpa Bastard?)

M = Medium body. The carbonation keeps things light.

D = I rarely have more than two or three beers in a sitting, but could easily put down a six rack.

Sublime balance.

03-02-2009 23:07:48 | More by johlendorf
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Grabbed a bottle of this for my "let's see if this is the time my suitcase gives up the ghost because of beer" return from Austin, Texas a few months ago. As I'm attending a whisky appreciation event this evening, what better way (with beer, anyway) to start things off...

This beer pours a hazy medium dark reddish copper hue, with a few fingers of thick, puffy off-white head, that settles into a cap for a while, leaving remnants of lacing around the glass. The aroma - I can smell it sitting on the table across from me - is dark roasted malts, fruity, with an acrid woodiness. The taste is big caramel malt, wrapped in the flavours of slightly charred oak - vanilla, caramelized sugars, an herbal earthiness. Then the citrus grapefruit and pine hops come crashing down over all of this, not quite balancing things, but at least making certain that all participants are present and accounted for. The body is nice and heavy, sumptuous, a mild carbonation trickling through the morass, the finish relatively light, only a slight malt stickiness and lovely mild citrus hoppiness lingering. This is a pretty decent example of the oaked beer trend of late - would that I could have more than the one of this.

From what I can remember, I like the extra complexity of this beer versus the 'regular' (heh) offering, especially the additional perceived hop components. The oak doesn't change the nature of the base beer, as other oak-aged products seem to show - well, this is Arrogant Bastard we're talking about here, so not much of a surprise, I suppose.

03-01-2009 00:09:22 | More by biboergosum
brianlg

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Probably my favorite tasting beer to date! It pours a maroon/brown color with a two finger head. Smells very sweet like honey, peanuts, and hops. The smell is very pleasant. On first sip, this beer is phenomenal! It's very delicious and tastes just how it smells. It is so smooth! I've never tried the non-oaked AB, but this beer is so good. I am definitely going back to get more!

02-28-2009 21:48:19 | More by brianlg
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.