Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
RodBurg

Missouri

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Comes in a killer brown bottle with the infamous Stone gargoyle embossed on the front. Pours a chill hazed brown with a thick, two finger head and good lacing.

Intense smell emanating from the glass. Heavy toasty malt contrasted by floral and grapefruit hops.

Taste is phenomenal. The malt comes in first but is quickly knocked back by the crazy hop bitterness. Floral notes, grapefruit, wood, vanilla, and lemon zest are all tied together superbly. Finishes very bitter, but in a good way. A very good way.

The oak aging smoothes this monster out, blends the flavors and adds new ones. Awesome brew. Superior to the regular Bastard, which is one of my favorites.

08-25-2008 06:25:30 | More by RodBurg
SusurusIgnoramus

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%

Dark, reddish and cloudy. Looks a slight bit thick coming out of the bottle. About a finger's worth of creamy off white head. Retention is lower than I expected, but plenty of lacing. I smell mostly caramel and alcohol. A little bit of oak but I'm not sure if that's placebo effect.

I wonder if maybe this has gone bad. It HAS been sitting in the back of my fridge for at least a few months. I bought a six pack a while back and kept one to review, but only got around to it now. Carbonation is a lot less than I remember, but that may be due to poor memory. I don't taste the oak at all. Alcohol warmth and a good bit of bitterness. I taste slight caramel, but I have to really concentrate to find it. Cloves come through as well.

On second thought, I don't think it has gone bad, I just think it has been a long time since I've had it or regular Bastard. Moderate thickness. Carbonation doesn't come through well unless I hold it in my mouth. I could have a couple, but it's not what I would choose to drink often. I'm a little disappointed. It's not as good as I remember, and for the price, I would buy this very sparingly.

I feel bad not giving this beer a higher rating. Stone has consistently been one of my favorites, but I think my tastes are leaning toward different styles now.

08-22-2008 21:27:04 | More by SusurusIgnoramus
PatronWizard

4.03/5  rDev -4%

So it's my 34th birthday today. Not exactly old, not exactly young. Where do I fit in? What is my place in the universe? What is the meaning of life? What should...ok enough bullshit. Leave contemplating the universe to Aristotle. I'm gonna contemplate what beers I should have today. After much thought, I decide to go with beers I haven't tried yet: Oaked Arrogant Bastard with my breakfast, Stone Imperial Russian Stout with lunch, and AleSmith Speedway Stout with dinner. Sounds like a good day to me!

Poured this puppy into a snifter so I can better sniff'er.

Looks like the color of the bottle but shows nice ruby hues in the light. Beautiful frothy head in the glass.

Smells like arrogant bastard.

Just had the arrogant bastard last night. I think this tastes slightly different, but I can't put my finger on it. I would like to claim I taste the oak, but I don't. There is a bitter alcohol warmth at the end. Nice.

Guess I'm far far too uncultured to notice a huge difference. Still a great beer and an excellent birthday morning celebratory drink.

08-20-2008 19:29:40 | More by PatronWizard
ljbrisson

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Dark bottle with "Arrogant Bastard" written in black on a gold cap. Stone has about a half dozen different caps that I have seen. Check plus awarded for originality, check minus for not having brew-specific caps.

Appearance is a rich brown, with a thin, sandy-colored head. Vanishes quickly leaving a cap that stays throughout the duration, but leaves little lacing.

Aroma reminds me of camping with pine scent especially strong, fruitiness (berries specifically), and some spiciness.

Mouthfeel is thick, with good carbonation. A little slick and oily which brings the hop character to mind. Great mouthfeel on this one.

Taste is hoppy with a hint of citrus, specifically orange. Spices, some nuttiness. The oak is barely discernable to my untrained palate. Finishes with some good hop flavor. I don't know much about hops but I know that this beer uses them very well, balancing the hop bitterness with sweetness.

Overall this is a good beer. I was disappointed by the lack of (or my perceived lack of) oak taste and aroma. Drinkability is average, but then again I am not a huge hop lover so for those who are or who don't mind them it may be higher. Recommended!

08-20-2008 18:38:47 | More by ljbrisson
thekevlarkid

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Solid one finger sand colored head. Great lacing that bands to my glass and great retention too. Appealing color of hazy amber with orange highlights. Fantastic aroma dominated by floral hops, grapefruit and some malts underneath. Deeply complex and yet drinkable. Malt flavor is forward, then hop bitterness and finally an oak finish. Medium/light carbonation. Exceptionally smooth with a great mouthfeel. Top notch brew in every way and maybe even better than the original (it is slightly more enigmatic). Continues to develop as it warms and a must-try for all beer aficionados.

08-20-2008 16:16:24 | More by thekevlarkid
Lexluthor33

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours Reddish brown with a decent sized head and a creamy looking lace.
The aroma was of herbal hops and fruits.
The taste was just sensational. Herbal,fruits then some mild bitterness with the citrus /wood notes resting in perfect balance.Some alcohol,but not much.
The feel was smooth,crisp and creamy. Mild carbonation and a medium body.

Notes: A spectacular brew. I loved the Arrogant Bastard,but if given the choice Oak Bastard will always get my vote. Simply a different brew,and something I can brag about having tried.
Whenever I find this I will buy this!

08-20-2008 04:27:13 | More by Lexluthor33
thisisshsas

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

A- deep red, almost blood red.
S- smells of hops and spices gives it fruity smell, enjoyable wiff.
t- taste is full bodied, with a nice bitter taste , fruityness is very much there.
M- becomes more ipa like after a few seconds
D- pretty easy to drink.

a very good beer.

08-18-2008 23:22:38 | More by thisisshsas
Wetpaperbag

Washington

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

I've aged this beer for about 3 months or so.

A- A sexy brown/reddish beer with a nice one finger width head. The head itself has large and small bubbles and is quite thick.

S- Wonderful hop aroma comes through quite a bit. But as a hop smell goes the oak smell also comes though and mellows out the hops in a great way.

T- Wow this is a superb beer! There is a wonderful hop taste that blends into the oak taste. It is almost buttery! Man this beer is so smooth. You take an already great beer like the Arrogant Bastard and age it in oak, wow, just an amazing combination.

M- Feels great in the mouth.

D- Yes please!

08-17-2008 01:46:18 | More by Wetpaperbag
xare

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Lovely rich orangey color with nice head that laces. The aroma is of oak and a touch of malt and hops. Taste is actually pretty good but a bit strange as it's almost as if you're eating some oak wood - which is why it's labeled as Oaked. In any case, excellent flavor profile with the addition of oak flavor.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clear, not bitter (surprisingly), and clean. Carbonated excellently with a touch of bitterness from the hops and the alcohol doesn't burn too much.

Drinkability is quite low due to the high ABV. I would definitely search this beer out again though but it's not high up on my list as I wouldn't be able to drink anything else for the night after one of these.

08-16-2008 21:00:28 | More by xare
tedpeer

Iowa

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

12 ounce poured into a pint.

A - Pours a deep red with moderate head that quickly settled to 1/8th inch. Good lacing to the end.

S - Oak, citrus from the hops.

T - Hoppy, slightly bitter. The oak mellows it just a bit. Slight alcohol warmth.

M - Creamy, Medium carbonation.

D - Alcohol is well hidden.

08-16-2008 20:32:08 | More by tedpeer
webmanspidey

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Caramelish brown / burnt orange color with a small amount of head when poured into the chalice.

Smells of hops, caramel, fruit, vinegar.

Very bitter and hoppy but much more balanced than IPAs. Maybe my palate is not experienced enough.. but I don't notice any oak.

Alcohol is masked very well and I could have a few of these without flinching.

08-16-2008 02:14:05 | More by webmanspidey
Hornet2003

British Columbia (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

The oaked version of Arrogant Bastard seems quite similar to the original version. All the same elements that made the original a classic are well entrenched in this beer. The difference comes in the addition and not subtraction/supplementation of ingredients. The bitterness is still definitely there along with the strong caramel malty presence. The oak chips seem to add a bit of vanilla and a bit more sharpness to the taste. In my mind, this is perfect since this is Arrogant bastard, an in-your-face beer by all rights. There is also a creaminess in the mouthfeel that makes it easy enough to drink despite its aggressive nature. The head leaves a creamy lace as you drink.

Overall, pricey yet well-executed idea by Stone. Not a daily drinker, but a nice treat.

08-11-2008 03:05:54 | More by Hornet2003
opwog

3.4/5  rDev -19%

This was cask conditioned "American Oak." I have to say that I was not a big fan of the Oaked Bastard when I had it in the bottle, but I thought that I should still give this one a shot.

Alas, I am still not a fan of the Oaked Bastard on cask either, but for completely different reasons. Where I found the bottled version to be too tight and overly strong with the wood taste and feel, I found the cask to actually be a nicer balance of wood to hops and malts. The head was better and lasted quite a while for a cask. But the biggest problem here is that I think that Bastard is a a beer in any form that has to be served cold. Many beers are fine (or even better) at room temperature, but Bastard is not one of them (IMHO). Overall, as I said before, the balance of elements was better on this one than other Bastards, but that still doesn't mean that it is well balanced across the horizon of all ales.

08-10-2008 19:02:31 | More by opwog
kosmoraios

Washington

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a deep mahogany color with some ruby tints in it. 1-finger off-white head that lingers.

Aroma is of citrussy hops and caramel with a hint of the promised oak.

Taste is dominated by the hops, piney and floral with some grapefruit citrus. Deep caramel malt is evident. The woody flavor of the oak is there, but it's subtle, not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is peppery and full with an oily finish and pleasant aftertaste.

Pretty drinkable for the ABV.

08-09-2008 16:27:30 | More by kosmoraios
Revvy

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

Notes- Poured into a Belgian Goblet for tasting purposes.

Appearance - Poured a deep/dark reddish brown, with a beautiful 1/4" creamy head which dissapated within a few minutes, leaving a nice lacing on the curve of the goblet and a surface layer of both large and small bubbles that remained on the surface of the beer throughout the drinking session.

Aroma - Cold, the ale has an almost smoky/woody aroma mixed with both resinous and floral hops, along with hints of brown sugar and bourbon. The wood nose that comes through is definitely oak, and it predominates the aromas. There is also a hint of coffee.

As the ale warms, the coffee, oak, bourbon comes richly to the surface, yet the hops still clearly comes through the center of the aroma...very citrussy.

At the warmest there is even a surprising hint of roasted coconut coming through.

Overall, the aroma is very porter-like...

Mouthfeel - The best word to describe the mouthfeel is "tangy," there is definitely a hop "bite" to it that touches the tip of the tongue, roof of the mouth and the back of the throat upon swallowing. My favorite salty snack is wasabi coated peas, and the bite is very similar, though not as hot.The bite dissipates quickly and the ale coats the mouth smoothly, like a Belgian strong ale...or a chcolate milkshake, but with a bit more carbonation.

This definitely warms as it goes down..at about the half way mark in the glass one feels a warming of the belly.

Taste - There is a lot going on here...The flavors are nearly identical to the aromas...chocolate, toffee, coffee, oak, bourbon, smoke, and a definite hop bitterness...but the hops are mellowed, or smoothed over by the oak aging, which drops it out of the level of "hop bomb" like it's un-aged brother...It moves it into the realm of chocolate/coffee stout.

The flavors are there from cold to room temp, but grow more pronounced as it warms. A noticeable smokiness comes through as it warms, either from smoked grain or because of a toasting of the oak...it is not overpowering, like in a Rauchbier, it reminds me of a porter I once tried that had peat smoked malt as 1/32 of the grainbill...just a hint in aroma and flavor.

Overall - This is an amazing ale...at 7.2% ABV it is not a Barleywine, but in terms of drinking pleasure...taste, aroma, mouthfeel, it could very well be. Maybe drinking it in a different glass would have changed this impression, but in my Belgian maudite goblet it brings the barleywine tendencies out...

I found regular Arrogant Bastard to be very much a hop bomb (which I can only take in small doses) but this version is mellowed quite a lot. It is mellow, but it is not "sissified," this is still a very aggressive ale. Think Arnold Swarzenagger in a tuxedo in "True Lies" as opposed to Arnold Swarzenagger as Conan the Barbarian.

The hoppiness still is reminiscent of bashing your head against the wall, but this wall is padded, like in a mental ward...The complexity of the aromas and flavors, especially the smokey/oakiness, makes this very drinkable...

Despite the Arnold comment, this is a very sexy beer...It's a hot blonde in a velvet dress, with a stiletto in her garter belt. The kind of woman, where after a night of unforgettable passion, you wake up in an ice filled bathtub missing a kidney...and spend the rest of your life wanting another night with her.

This made my top 10 list of beers.

08-08-2008 01:34:18 | More by Revvy
flipshevanel

Arizona

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

A large off-white head. Very creamy with excellent lacing. The overall appearance is quite intimidating, a murk dark brown/red. The aroma is great, a sweet hoppy mollasses with a light doughy scent. The palate on this beer took me off guard, I was expecting a kick your ass alcohol taste, but instead I got a medium body with very soft carbonation. The flavor was very sweet and the alcoholic finish didn't last 2 days like the Ruination IPA did.

08-01-2008 04:01:03 | More by flipshevanel
roadhouse

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appears a dark red-orange with a two finger light tan head. Some lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma is dominated by the oak. Behind that is some citrusy hops, caramel malt, and a bit of alcohol.

Taste has the same characteristics. Grapefruity hops up front, followed by a short burst of sweet caramel malt that gets taken over by the hops and oak. A touch of alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, nice soft carbonation.

It has been some time since I tried the regular Arrogant Bastard but I remember it being much different. The oak really adds a lot of complexity, but at the same time takes away from the spotlight a lot of the character that I liked about the regular. Can't see myself drinking more than one of these in a sitting but either way, good stuff.

07-31-2008 22:18:11 | More by roadhouse
mrsoul12

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

This American Strong Ale poured a medium amber color from the firkin. Small sized white foamy head. The aroma is caramel malt, earthy hops and a bunch of oak. A medium to full bodied American Strong Ale. The malts are caramel and fruity. The hops are grapefruity and floral. The oak flavors are mostly in the back end and the finish. Yeah it's double bastard and all that implies, but the oak aging has mellowed the beer a little, the oak and malts go well together here. Another beer that does very well as a live firkin ale. Very smooth taste. Nice soft carbonation. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean and crisp. Aftertaste is bitter.

07-30-2008 11:56:25 | More by mrsoul12
sabrills70

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

12oz brown bottle from asix pack I purchased while visiting DC this summer. Pours a hazy meduim brown with a creamy 2 finger head, great longevity and beautiful lace. Lovely citrus hop aromas, but not overwhelming. Behind the hop is a just right malt smells mixed with a hint of yeast. Upon the first sip, the creaminess of it is beautiful. The initial malt flavors fade somewhat quickly into the hops. IMHO the hops a bit sharp. Nice bitterness in the aftertaste. It could stand some aging to completely smooth it out but it is still an excellent beer.

07-27-2008 02:13:32 | More by sabrills70
objectivemonkey

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz. bottle, into a DFH tulip pint.

Pours a deep mahogany hue, pretty clear, with a pretty smooth and foamy two inch head, leaving lacing on the glass in long streaks and blobs. Much hop is immediately present in the nose, the oak lending its influence, a hefty dosing of malt very much active.

Taste, mmmm... Its definitely of AB pedigree, but the oak aging settles it down a bit, providing some tannins and vanilla, the slightest hint of wood. I'm not going to say it has refined AB, but it seems a bit more complex, shady, more an enigma, if possible. The hops are hefty and well oiled, the mouth is hefty and lively, and the joy, its a great drinkin beer. Everything is quite excellent, perhaps just not exquisite.

07-24-2008 02:31:36 | More by objectivemonkey
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

This was everything I thought it would be and more. The pour was a semi-cloudy dark red colour with a thick, tightly knit sand coloured head. Head was easily a finger and a half, perhaps two fingers thick and stayed in place for some time. It looked like something out of an ad, really. Smell was dominated by hops. Period. However, it was a sweet smell, and not sweet malt, though malt was present. The only other beer I can think of right off that had this powerful sweet hops smell is 3F's Dreadnaught. I have had several brews that had that, but only those two so assertively. Taste, too, is commanded by hops, with little noticeable malt (to me, I know it's there, though). This is certainly a brew for the hop lover. I'm not a huge American hops fan, but I still appreciate and enjoy this immensely. Mouthfeel is fairl heavy, but right where it needs to be IMO. A fine ale, indeed.

07-21-2008 01:50:24 | More by SilentSabre
SeanRedd

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Oakey Dokey, the bastard has busted my balloon knot. As if the motherfucker wasn't nasty enough, now he takes a bath in oak tea! He wears a polluted cloud of a head, and a subsiding period of a dress. Burnt caramel covered shards of dock wood splinter the tongue. Burnt Sugars become slightly bitter over cinnamon swirl toast. The sonofabitch offers me a slice of vanilla ice cream cake at the end with no reach around in sight. I'm rollin with the bastard goddamit, and your ass is smellin sweet!

07-21-2008 01:23:05 | More by SeanRedd
Reagan1984

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

After recently trying Arrogant Bastard for the first time I was excited to try this Oak Aged version. I was not disappointed.

Beautiful looking beer! Deep Red/Amber in color and extremely clear. No visible carbonation. A one finger head formed and then retreated to begin it's work at leaving lacing on the inside of my glass. It did a fine job and left plenty.

Aroma has a hop punch and some floral notes, but I really detect black cherry or some other fruit. I didn't look back but I think that I mentioned a tropical fruit note in the regular Arrogant Bastard. There seems to be more depth to this aroma and it may be the Oak aging.

Taste is just wonderful. Well balanced, a touch of vanilla but again I get the slightest cherry taste in the background. The nice hop flavor and bite remains but there is a new depth that I assume is added by the oak. In the finish you can sense more than just the hops. I'm not sure I would have pegged it as oak if I didn't know.

The beer is so smooth it's amazing. This, of course, leads to a supreme mouth feel and drinkability.

I have a new friend. He is an Arrogant Bastard! Oaked or non Oaked, I don't care. But you need to try both.

Great Beer.

07-19-2008 01:11:32 | More by Reagan1984
hckyfn9999

Missouri

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a mahogany color with a huge, thick, off-white colored head that has great retention and leaves sheets of lace. Aroma is of citrus, caramel, vanilla, dark fruit, and alcohol.

Very complex taste. Loads of hops that are citrusy and herbally. Big malt backbone with sweet caramel, and a touch of vanilla from the oak and a fruity aftertaste. Goes down very easy. A damn good beer. Too bad its not available here and this is my last one from a trip to Vegas.

07-11-2008 02:38:47 | More by hckyfn9999
Stonebreaker

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Beautiful deep, dark red amber. Decent head. Lovely.

Smell: Has that faint, not overly sweet, chocolate malt smell, that I immediately recognize, I can tell this beer by smell alone, after just the first one.

Taste: This is some delicious stuff, I don't pretend to taste all the singular notes that make up this brew, but the hops are there, right on point, there's definitely some chocolate, some dubbel like sweetness. Shit....IS GOOD...IS VERY GOOD!!

Mouthfeel: Rich and chewy, there's got to be a assload of malt in this one.

Drinkability: The richness of this beer, not to mention the price tag do not exactly meld with a session type beer, but I could easily drink myself into a cashless stupor with this one. Worth the hype.

07-10-2008 21:27:21 | More by Stonebreaker
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.