Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale is a very clear copper ale with a fluffy, yellowish sand-colored head that leaves outstanding lacing. It has a deep, dusty, sweet and spicy aroma. There are notes of brown sugar, pine, orange peel and old barrels. It is smooth and slick; medium bodied with a light, dry finish. It is a rich and well-balanced flavor-- slightly sweet and bitter with notes of candied orange peel, pine needles, rye bread and, of course, plenty of oak that rolls in to finish the flavor. Wow. This is well worth the outrageous price!

(rated Oct 11, 2008)

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours clear dark coppery brown with thick head of tan bubbles. Head lays down pretty quick with some globs of lacing. Grapefruity aroma portends strong presence of hops to come. Taste is big bitter hops. Magnificent complexity of flavors! Blindfolded, one could easily mistake this brew for an IPA due to the immense hit of sour hops. Then the sweet vanilla oakiness presents itself with carmel maltiness and a good dollop of yeasty sweetness to balance the sour hops. Some smokiness lingers in the finish, explaining the dark roasted appearance in the glass. The sour hops flavor lasts longest of all. Mouthfeel is a crisp alcohol bite followed by a slightly oily coating on the tongue.

This is a big, in-your-face ale that is not for the squeamish. I love the perfect balance of sweet and sour and the firm slap upside the head that this brew delivers. I'd be very happy to have a few Arrogant Bastards in my fridge at all times.

Aside: I love the marketing..."This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth."

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into Atlas Mason jar.

A: Nice 3 finger brown head. Over a nice dark body.

S: Those arrogant hops and arrogant malts.

T: Orange-clover-beeswax, orange zest, lemon grass, bitterness of an oak sapling branch, caramel apples, and that hop bitterness that would make someone whose never tasted hops cringe, but is oh so good when you develop a taste for it. All this ends in a crisp dry bitterness.

M: Good

D: This is a strong beer but I would say a sixer of a game of cards makes you a man. but only if you motorcycle home with a cigar in your mouth trailing a shower of sparks. A good cigar masks even this beers odeur.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Magnum. Finally broke down and bought one, and it was worth it. Pours light mahongany with a ring of foam as the head. The aroma is full of caramel, malt and oak. The taste is phenomenal. The oak tamed the previous Arrogant Bastard, making it seem deeper and mellowed in taste. The malt is sweeter and the hops are more flavorful, but without the bite. Its almost like a scotch finished in a sherry cask. I really hope this one finds a permanent place place in Stone's lineup.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a cloudy texture. There was an inch of foamy, long-lasting head and excellent lacing. Basically how an American strong ale should look.

S: Had a very hoppy nose, along with some malt and pine.

T: A surprisingly subtle flavor. Lots of hops, malt, pine and even hints of citrus. Underplayed, especially when compared to the regular Arrogant Bastard, which has a huge flavor.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: On the whole an excellent, drinkable beer with lots of character. The oak adds a interesting dimension. Very mellow.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Maybe my new favorite beer right now. Hopefully I'm "worthy" enough. Yellow fizzy beer is for wussies.

With that said I was quite pleased to try the oaked bastard. I'm a huge fan of the regular but the oaked flavor blows the original out of the water.

Started with the appearance, it pours a beautiful dark reddish, amber color. The appearance is maybe one of my favorite aspects of the beer. It had a nice creamy and frothy head on it with some bad ass lacing kicking around for a quick minute.

It smells very hoppy, almost like they're gonna jump right outta the glass and bitch smack you. Deffinaly can detect the oakiness on this bastard.

Taste started off sweet... Nice and malty with a great bitter hopp finish. I can't stress enough what the oak adds to this beer. Simply amazing. It had a pleasant mouthfeel as well. I can drink it all night long. Thanks for another kick ass brew, STONE!

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Rusty red/brown pour, cream like colored head. Smells a little bit like a sweet fruitcake. Taste mixes sweet malty biscuit with some citrus and pine. The bitterness is balanced out with the oakiness. Medium bodied with some good stickiness. I thought this was much better than the regular Arrogant, and worthy of the hype.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Okay, I've never had the regular AB ale so here goes.

Poured a deep crisp amber from a 12oz bottle to a grand pilsner glass. Foamy lacy big head. This beer looks impressive.
smell is really citric hoppyness with some major sweet pungent malt. It smells intense.
ok the first sip I was like "whoa this is weird" second sip "whoa this is good" third sip " this is frickin awesome" it reminds me of a more on the malty side IPA. It's very complex. there's alot going on in this beer. It's not for the weak of heart. I was wondering if it would be as good as they hype it up to be in their little rant on the back of the bottle (hilarious) Mouthfeel is nice small bubbled carbonation, strangely east to knock back.
drinkability is not soo good though because it's 7.2%
I could only drink like two of these.
It's really good.

3.06/5  rDev -27.1%

Bottle. Pours a deep somewhat murky brown with a ring of off-white head. Aroma of raisins and sweet caramel malt. Flavor is very sweet and malty. No oak. No hops. Very underwhelming. It's a shame because regular AB is so good. Not a good beer to oak age apparently.
Aroma: 6/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 6/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 13/20
3.2/5

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into my favorite Maudite snifter from a single buy. Didn't want to venture on the expensive six-pack until I tried a single. I will be buying more for sure!

The appearance is of a caramal amber color with a quickly dissolving head. A small head of white clings to the sides throughout the session. Lacing is nice.

Oak smelling with a complex structure of different scents.

I like this much better than the original Arrogrant Bastard though that is a high class brew.

Highly recommended and very drinkable. A repeat customer is born! Now off to find the 3Litre bad boy!

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from tap into a nonic pint glass at TJs.

A: A reddish brown with a nice fluffy two finger off white head. Wonderful full glass lacing.

S: Piney earthy hops up front with a nice smooth sweetness. Very nice.

T: The piney earthy hops jump out at you from the onset. Medium body is hoppy but malty sweet, the finish is where you can really pick up the oak and vanilla flavors. Finish is bitterness. Wow, this is a great beer on tap.

M: Medium to full, it really coats the mouth. No real alcohol taste and the bitterness lingers.

D: Medium to high. These slide right down.

Overall a great, great beer that is significantly better on draft. Amazing what they can do with an oak barrel. Pick this beer up if you have the chance, you will not be disappointed.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Well, it is what it says on the label, an oaked Arrogant Bastard. It is probably unfortunate that I'm reviewing this beer during Double Bastard season. I love the amplified flavors of the stronger version. On the other hand, this beer tones down those flavors with a very refined but strong oak taste. A part of me misses the full bore of the pure stuff. This is a beer to pair against AB and thus appreciate its additions. Paired with Double Bastard (I'm not doing so directly but I've just had a lot recently), the oaked version is just a touch lacking. Then again, this seems to follow the Arrogant Bastard hierarchy. Double Bastard is the best drink to hold while you look down your nose at other beers, but the oaked has a more refined arrogance. It tastes like oak, probably the most arrogant of wood flavors. It's bitter and almost chalky and just dares you not to like it. It's the kind of taste that people tell you that you have to learn to like and, damn it, they're right. The appearance is the cherry on top with the color of an oak-aged brandy and a soapy head with plenty of lacing. It's just a difficult beer to describe without referencing Arrogant Bastard and firmly establishes itself as an even more snobbish version of AB. I mean I love it, but a duck's a duck. My only real thought while I drink it is how the oak really came through. You won't confuse this beer with the normal version. It's the kind of beer to get drunk to while you quietly judge a crowd of people and they come up decidedly lacking.

4.51/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer practically taunted me into drinking it. Reading the label made me feel unworthy of such a fine brew, and after tasting it, I have to agree. I have no where near the amount of beer tasting experience needed to adequately describe this brew. But I will give it my best shot.

It pours a dark reddish brown color, looks amazing in a glass. Leaves a thin head with a fairly good retention and good lacing. Smells of hops with a slight hint of malt. Taste is indescribable. At first it is hoppy, but then a fine malt taste overwhelms on the finish. Exceptionally drinkable. One of the best beers I have had in some time. I will definitely be trying more beers from Stone in the future.

3.61/5  rDev -14%

12oz bottle from Whole Foods in Portland. Pours a hazy copper body with a half inch of light tan head. Lemon, grapefruit, pith, pine, with some woodiness. Tastes citrussy, with pine, pith, lemon, grapefruit, wood, vanilla... Um, cat pee notes? Hints of caramel and toffee in the aftertaste. A little aqueous in the mouthfeel with light carbonation. This beer grew on me, but I must say I was much more impressed with regular Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard. Still, I'd love to try it on tap.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

I love just about anything from Stone. The attitude alone makes me feel like they're challenging me to drink whatever they make, so hey, I'm a sucker for their advertising if nothing else. Despite what they tell me though, I feel I'm worthy :)

Appearance: Poured a nice deep reddish/copper color - a little cloudy and hardly any head at all despite a fairly hefty pour to try to bring it out. What did form disappeared quite quickly.

Smell: Bitter. The hops are very apparent and the alcohol is definitely apparant as well in the back -- really came out as I worked my way through the glass and it warmed just a little bit.

Taste: Extra bitter -- hoppy and just a slight (very slight) taste of something sweet at the end. I can't quite put my finger on what it is though, not really fruity, but not really sugary like a caramel either, so I can't say for sure what it was -- very interesting.

Mouthfeel: Awesome -- made me salivate a ton and quickly dries. I'd say a touch a sticky oilyness to it as well and it was very pleasurable. Not a strong carbonation, so it was the hops doing the work in terms of what it did to my mouth.

Drinkability: For lack of a better term, this beer was f-u-n fun to drink. It was extra bitter and that made it worthwhile alone; but yes, this beer has a high drinkability. The ABV is a little high, so I'd likely take it easy and not drink a ton of it, but it was so much fun and such a great taste that it's worth it... So yeah, just make arrangements to get a driver or drink this bad-boy at home.

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

Just flat out delicious, with a beautiful balance of oak, malt, and alcohol. This is one to go out of your way for on tap.

Pours a deep brown red with a thin white head, huge streamers of carbonation, and amazing lacing. The smell is surprisingly slight but malty and sweet. The Flavor is vast, reddish, sweet, with cherry, wood, and smoke, like tobacco. The mouthfeel is large and round, viscous and carbonated. The beer has a nice hop bitterness and a deliciously bitter, woody finish.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Deep ruby body with a slight haze, thin head with just a smattering of lacing

The oak and hops mingle nicely; both are very strong but neither overpower one another.

The oak comes through much more in the flavor. There is a slight vanilla taste and a bit of tannic action. The hops balance the oak and leave a nice bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel is very full, slightly drying, very very nice.

My only qualm is that the oak could be a little less to let the base flavors shine through, but other than that, a near perfect oaked beer.

3.92/5  rDev -6.7%

Big thanks to ThirstyHopHead for including this as an extra.

Bit of a chill hazed dark rum colored amber and is topped with a quickly forming toasted marshmallow head that fades into a thickish ring, while leaving behind some lattice-work lacing that could stand to stick around longer.

Smells like red gummi worms, I'll let this warm up a bit...really like no beer I've ever smelled, gummi worm is still there but blended with a thick, resiny pine aroma. Not really picking up oak notes, but again it could just be too cold right now...little bit more warmth yields a slightly sweet vanilla aroma but again, not very much oakiness.

Sugary fruitiness to open opens up to a slightly creamy, slightly grainy maltiness. Oak tannins are finally apparent and mix well with the notes of vanilla I am picking up here. All of this mixes together as the fruitiness reasserts itself into a wonderfully complex flavor profile. The fruitiness here is not grapefruit or orange or mango, it's not any of these things. The flavor is a bit difficult to describe. The fruitiness is one the sweeter side, vanilla and honey, but nothing overpowering and all blends well with a sweet, underlying oakiness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and leaves a long and lasting bitterness down the center of the tongue long after the last drop empties from the glass. Carbonation does not do much for be and could stand to be just the sligthest bit snappier, felt a bit uneven in places, that is to say, I thought the consistency of the beer could stand to be just a bit thicker, more substantive. Other than that I could not put this beer down, it has a beguiling flavor that you can't really put your finger on. The most import thing, however, is that this beer tastes good and that I would be more than happy to try another if I could get my hands on one.

2.94/5  rDev -30%

Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard pours mahogany-red in color with a massive beige head wich leaves a mess of lace on the glass as it retreats, clarity is unsurpassed.

Aroma is sweet, vanilla and alcohol.

Flavor starts bitter lemon with mild sweet tea middle, bitter spicy fade.

Smooth and fairly thin, the ale seems to lose every bit of carbonation about half way through .

Drinkability suffers, thin, lack of carbonation, flavors stacked to the bitter side.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a dark garnet with a thin, foamy tan head.

S - Mild and sweet. Vanilla and woody goodness slap each other around on the way up to my nose holes.

T - Also very mild and sweet. Again, vanilla, now some malt, rather toasty malt at that.

M - Medium to thin body, pleasant mouthfeel, doesn't linger on the cheeks too much.

D - Oh so very drinkable. Delicious.

4.11/5  rDev -2.1%

$1.75 12 oz single from Sharkie's in State College, PA. Sweet!

Lightly hazy, dark brown with a small, tan, creamy head. Good retention and lacing. Smell was rather surprisingly mild. Caramel maltiness, vanilla, just a touch of wood and very light hops. The taste was much more pronounced. Woody roasted malts of front, big citrus kick in the middle, and the oak really shows up on the finish. Great flavors and excellent balance. It has a medium body, resiny texture turning dry, and moderate carbonation. Yes, this is a very good beer, but I don't think it lived quite up to the hype my friends created for me about this beer. Still, defeinitely worth trying though.

4.11/5  rDev -2.1%

Found a bottle of this hiding out in the back of my closet mixed with some other beers I bought over the summer. Good find.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Chimay goblet.

A- Oaked Arrogant Bastard pours a dark mahogany with little head. Lots of lacing with this one.
S- Not as strong as I expected, kind of mellow actually. I smell lots of sweet malts, less citrusy hops than expected, some vanilla and oak.
T- Also mellower than I expected. The hops take a back seat in the flavor to the sweet caramel malts, but are definitely present. Some woody (I wouldn't necessarily say oak if it wasn't on the label) flavors and vanilla as well,
M- Thick, creamy, wonderful.
D- Lot's of flavor here and the abv isn't high enough to stop you from coming back for more.

This is really a tasty beer. The woody taste reminds me a lot of the Founders Curmudgeon I drank the other night. Even at $17.99 a six pack this one is a good buy.

3.84/5  rDev -8.6%

Picked up a single 12 oz bottle at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH. Poured into a tulip pint glass.

A: Pours a dark amber/copper color with a slightly off-white head. Head reduces to a thin film with a little more head at the rim. Good amount of lacing.

S: Picked up some earthiness, hops, and a slight woodsy smell, but I had to search for the scents. It was hard to pick up much aroma.

T: Some hoppy bitterness and bite that is really smoothed out by a slight woodsy flavor. Not sure if this is a psychological thing because of the "Oaked" naming.

M: Very creamy for an amber brew. I felt it had lots of carbonation, but in a smooth sense; like a lot of tiny bubbles.

D: I could drink a good amount of these, with the slight bitterness being the only thing that would possibly hold me back from drinking more.

I was curious how this would compare to the original Arrogant Bastard, that I wasn't too crazy about (too much bite and bitterness), but this one had a lot of the good flavor without it being too powerful.

3.45/5  rDev -17.9%

From notes:

It poured a dark amer color with some creamy head. The nose was really oaky, but nice. The flavor was a slight oak but not as dry as you would expect from the nose then just lots of hops so you get oak and hops no real malt showing through. Overall its an interesting beer but I would like more malt in there.

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%

Having this one on Thanksgiving after a good post dinner nap. Pours a pretty dark cherry red with a thin, quickly fading tan head. Some spots of lacing are left behind. Smells of dark fruits (cherries, figs, raisins) hops, and roasted malts. Tastes of vanilla, hops, sweets, smoked wood and toasted malts. A smack of syrup is left on the lips. Mouth-feel is medium-bodied and is warmed with a good alcohol heat. This beer is just one of the many things I have to give thanks for today.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.