Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
illidurit

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a nonic. Nice dark brown color with a tan head of 3 fingers. Lacing is incredible and the retention is stellar.

Aroma is mostly hoppy with just a faint hint that oak was involved in this beer.

Taste is a downgrade from the fresh growler I had of this. The flavors are still good but a bit out of whack. Lots of malt sweetness with a big wood note. Hops are more subdued and I don't get much bourbon at all.

Nice and smooth, very quaffable.

01-29-2008 22:11:02 | More by illidurit
tayner

Arizona

3.53/5  rDev -16%

poured a deep golden color with an off white head.

smelled of wood, hops, and lightly of malts.

Dominant flavor was oak and hops, not very well balanced out with malts.

Crisp mouthfeel, clean finish.

I am not a huge fan of oak in my beer unless it is a bourbon barrel so this one was a tad hard for me to drink as i tasted no bourbon at all, just wood and hops, but for what it is, it is okay. i wouldnt choose to drink it again over all the other choices though.

01-29-2008 12:46:41 | More by tayner
sabinelr

Washington

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

I'm sorry.
For someone who described Arrogant Bastard Ale as "the Owsley acid of beer," I feel like a traitor doing this review. I fear that the oak flavoring has changed this to some strange hop-flavored bourbon stuff. All I could taste was bourbon. I don't like bourbon at all, so maybe that's why I was disappointed. Oh well, it's still better than Rainier and definitely better than Fischer. If you like the bourbon smell and taste, I'll bet this will be good for you.

01-27-2008 22:32:10 | More by sabinelr
chriskozma

Wow, this is good. I bought a 6 pack of this after already trying regular AB many times. I was blown away. Everything I liked about AB plus piney and vanilla notes that made me never want to stop drinking this stuff. The mouthfeel and especially drinkability are off the charts for me. Beautiful dark amber color, too. If oak-aging worked this well for every beer, the world would be a better place.

01-27-2008 01:17:03 | More by chriskozma
cswhitehorse

Oregon

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

The Oaked Aged Bastard pured a reddish brown with no head or lacing. It left no mark on the sides of the glass.

The aroma was malty with sweet caramel filling the nose. I really tasted the oak and maltiness which was really powerful... It hits the back of my throat and was slightly carbonated. Enjoyable beer but I was questioning how tough I was and if I could handle their offering. To me it was similar to sipping a nice tumbler of Kentucky whiskey.

01-26-2008 22:18:16 | More by cswhitehorse
Proteus93

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

A: A deep brown pour, some red highlights. Beautiful head: foamy & creamy, great retention... latticing lace all the way down.

S: Oaky scene come through... a nice addition to the full hoppy aromas. A little bit of an earthy, somewhat musky smell in there. Some slightly sweet notes follow through at the very end.

T: Rich, bitter hops. The oak aging has done its part to add flavour and intensifies the flavour, and an incredibly full flavour it is. A bit of a kick in the ass, and not for the faint hearted.

M & D: Weighty, yet still wet... a combination few get right. The bitter body makes for a bit of a slow drink, but the have done well balancing something so intense. Not for any sort of crazy consumption, but that kinda seems to be intentional. This isn't to be treated like a bad macro on a summer day. Nonetheless, I find myself pouring every last drop I can get out of the bottle into the glass.

01-26-2008 05:40:15 | More by Proteus93
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

With all the hype with the Arrogant Bastard stuff, I was looking forward to trying the Oaked version. Picked up as a single in Colorado.

A: Thick tan head on top of a cloudy dull brown body, very interesting looking, it quickly mellowed to a thin film.

S: I can smell a lot of hops, very citrusy, a little pine.

T: The hops are really about all I can taste in this, with a hint of the oak aging, pretty unbalanced, but I do like the bitterness at the end. Pretty strong alcohol taste throughout. A little dissapointing in general though.

M: Was pretty thin and crisp in the mouth, with a good bite and a relatively dry finish, definitely interesting.

D: I had one, and it was enough, I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. The beer seemed to be lacking in balance to me.

01-23-2008 17:10:53 | More by pokesbeerdude
burnstar

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a deep murky brown with a medium sized head. Nice lacing on the sides and surface of the glass. Aroma is mostly citrusy hops. Some light oak notes. Taste is toasted and caramel malt balanced by abundant grapefruit/citrus. A dull background sweetness. Oak notes throughout. Some dark fruit as well. Complex. Fairly balanced although the hops are somewhat dominant, but that's not a bad thing. Light lingering bitterness. Really great stuff. Nice full bodied creamy mouthfeel. Pretty drinkable considering its heaviness. Overall a great beer

01-22-2008 01:19:21 | More by burnstar
irishkyle21

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours with a tanned head that drops to a faint coating but leaves behind some nice lacing as it does. Has a deep ruby color.

Smells of caramel malt, piney grapefruity hops (lots of them) and the oak is there but hidden.

Tastes great. Lots of spicy grapefruity hops, chewy caramel malt and a shy woody oak taste. It might just be me but I found the oak to be laid back, not in a bad way. It adds just the right touch.

01-20-2008 05:54:35 | More by irishkyle21
bobsy

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

The drink pours a dark mahogany, and the tan head leaves generous sheets of lacing. Mmm...citrus and pine in the aroma, along with some oak and vanilla. This should be interesting. At first the flavour isn't as bitter as I expected, and I can taste tobacco leaves amongst a smooth vanilla-caramel sweetness. Then the pine and citrus flavours kick in, bringing a good deal of oak along for the ride, before tailing off into a pleasing bitterness. The body is medium, extremely smooth, and delicious. This is one relaxing drink.

I had extremely high expectations for this after really enjoying a bottle of Ruination I brought back from vacation, and I'm really pleased to say that I was not disappointed.

01-18-2008 15:37:26 | More by bobsy
prototypic

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: It pours a dark brown color with a hint of red in there. Head is off white and a massive two and a half fingers. Head stuck around quite a while and a beautiful web of lace lined the glass.

Smell: Very complex. Citrus scents (grapefruit, orange, mango, and maybe some pineapple) blend with rich caramel malts and give it a very sweet aroma. Hops are big and piney. To my surprise it does have a bit of a wood chip smell in there.

Taste: Very malty and sweet up front. Citrus flavors add to the mix, but aren't quite as pronounced in taste. Hops are piney and bitter. It actually balances pretty well. The wood chip or oak is noticeable, but it only adds to its distinctive character.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied. Carbonation level is excellent. At 7.2%, it's a little on the heavier side, but extremely smooth and drinkable. This is a Stone classic.

01-18-2008 02:30:01 | More by prototypic
LeftyBWS

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.
A: Rich amber-orange color mix, almost layered. Some visible carbonation up the sides. Full and thick head on the pour, but it falls down to a half-inch-thick layer that sticks. The head is off-white to tan in color, kinda frothy.
S: Full of hearty malt scents and an underlying hop smell as well. The first whiff was almost overwhelming. Takes me a few whiffs to figure out what’s there. There’s definitely some chocolate, caramel, citrus hops, berries. If I try to ignore the heavy malts, I get a nose-filling and airy but pungent bourbon smell. Maybe some sweet scents too, like honey?
T: Smooth and sweet malts, caramels and fruit lead the way. Gives way to a soft malty taste that is backed by a little hop taste, something floral and almost citrusy. Finish is creamy and smooth almost sweet, but then the lingering taste is a bit of alcohol. Overall, it is indeed complex and powerful, very flavorful, but not overwhelmingly so, and it does leave me wanting another mouthful to taste and explore.
M: Full bodied and mouth-filling, definitely. Sweet, bitter, and malty all at once. Noticeable alcohol presence, especially in the finish.
D: Kinda tough, to be sure, but the taste does leave me wanting more, and that counts for something.

01-16-2008 03:33:46 | More by LeftyBWS
deapokid

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Distinct and totally original, this Oaked Arrogant Bastard takes the balls out flavor of the traditional model and ups the ante ten fold.

Taking on a hoppy aroma and amber color, this tough guy has a soft white head with uber-thick lace and a big bubbly flavor.

Even with woody undercurrents, this ale was surprisingly smooth and tasty - even a bit fruity.

With all this flavor and distinction, it's no surprise that Stone decided to make this a wide release and not leave it sequestered to West Coast pubs and eateries.

*Update from 2/21/2010:

I wish I had elaborated on this one a bit more the first time around. On the umpteenth try, this beer's smoky and deep woody finish is so smooth and subtle that the sweet amber notes are often easy to overlook.

This is an ale of such magnitude that it's nearly impossible to comprehend all of the complex flavors at once. An absolute masterpiece.

01-15-2008 02:16:53 | More by deapokid
AaronHomoya

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz bottle I was quite excited to try.

Pours an auburn color with a nice, light tan head. Great lacing from this sticky beer.

Great aroma with sweet, spicy, citrus hops blending marvelously with vanilla and oak. Overall a smooth aroma, if one can describe smells such.

I wasn't sure going in how aggressive, bitter hoppiness would mix with oak, but it is genius. The flavor is once again quite smooth with sweetness, oak and then hop flavors. This finishes with a building, still aggressive hop bitterness. Taste is rich and complex, somewhat like a hopped up scotch.

Mouthfeel is good and the drinkability is solid for such an arrogant beer. Certainly a fine creation by Stone.

01-14-2008 00:01:45 | More by AaronHomoya
Monkeyknife

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a bottle a cloudy dark tea color with a light beige head and very little lacing.

Aroma of caramel, brown sugar, citrusy hops, sweet malts, and a light oakiness.

The taste is lightly sweet a perfect balance of sharp hops and malts with plenty of caramel and citrus notes. The alcohol is present but well-hidden.

Medium mouthfeel, smooth and lightly carbonated.

What a terrific beer! Easy to drink but not easy to stop drinking.

01-12-2008 23:29:59 | More by Monkeyknife
Traquairlover

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

12-oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Reddish brown with good clarity, formed a small light tan head of small and medium bubbles which dissipated leaving good lacing, light but steady carbonation with small bubbles.

S = Very complex nose. I get floral, piney hops scents, together with an almost honey sweetness, and slight smokey odors which are probably coming from the oak chips. This is an exceptional nose, it smells like an IPA to which much more has been added.

T = Very satisfying taste which doesn't quite keep up with the smell, but comes close. There is a very sweet smokey malted flavor, but the bitterness of the hops is there the whole time cutting through it and carrying with it some citrusy lemon flavors through mid-palate and into the finish which is long and slightly, but not overpoweringly, bitter. I like this better than the unoaked Arrogant Bastard which is a very good beer. The complexities are great and well balanced.

M = Medium body, with light, almost foamy carbonation, leaves a good mouth coating that really aids the entire taste experience but especially the finish.

D = This is very drinkable. The only problem may be stopping yourself before having too much given the ABV.

01-12-2008 20:40:18 | More by Traquairlover
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Loved this baby. Quite a bit more than the regular AB.

Nice reddish brown murky pour with a decent head and lacing and awesome aroma of hops and earth. I think the oak adds what I thought was missing in the original. Some smokiness.

This tastes awesome. Hoppy as hell with a wonderful earthiness and maltiness lingering around in the background. I wish I could get this around my area.

All that is left is the Double Bastard and I just received a bottle in a trade yesterday so I'm trying it next.

01-12-2008 15:00:27 | More by Tilley4
lightindarkness

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz of goodness

A terrific looking pour - 2 inches of frothy head stick atop a hazed reddish brown with good copper color coming through in the light. Also in the light, some larger carbonation bubbles rise slowly but consistently from around the glass.

Smells of malt, bright and clean. Hits with rich roasted grains and light caramel, along with some smooth coconut milk and very faint zestiness of lemongrass.

Taste is very satisfying and unique, with a dominant flat middle tone of grain and lighter malts that spreads to a balance of richness and brighter bitter flavors throughout the sip. Rich woody tannins play on the tongue adding to the hop bitterness but with a much more raw grab on the palate. Supported by a wash of light caramel it finishes with some wood, earthy root, strong roasted grains, and herb. Not notably sweet, but just enough so to hold the balance.

Lingers in the mouth with a slight oily feel and some mild astringency. Leaves a lightly sticky hold. Overall very nicely balanced between bitter and full in a well bodied, full flavored brew. Carbonation is good for taste and body. A pleasing beer with good drinkability.

01-12-2008 06:33:57 | More by lightindarkness
medic25

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Picked up at Halftime Beverages (loading up on the good stuff CT can't get...). Dark brown/orange color, with a big frothy head. Nice hoppy aroma, with a little bit of citrus. Taste is incredible! Powerful hops, but in now way overwhelming. I don't know if it's the oak chips that soften things, but this is probably the smoothest beer in this class I've ever tried. For 7.2% it is extremely easy drinking; I could actually see this as a session beer. This is one I'll have to load up on the next time I go out of state.

01-11-2008 04:34:39 | More by medic25
BeerBelcher

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

I thought the bitterness in this beer was really interesting and tasted good.

This beer poured a brilliant red with minimal head composed of tiny bubbles. This beer was very evidently hoppy, and the hoppiness was earthy and unique and very interesting. Flavor was citrus-y and earthy and VERY bitter, which I thought was delicious. Mouthfeel was astringently bitter and, according to my notes, "a bit weird."

Still, this is definitely something not to be missed. I would highly recommend it.

01-11-2008 02:57:47 | More by BeerBelcher
wagenvolks

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

As an aside, the first time I reviewed Oaked ABA, 12/1/2006, I was a both inebriated and inexperienced with the review process

Overall: B 3.65; A-4.5 S-4.0 T-3.5 M-2.5 D-3.0

Hopefully, it will impress me a bit more this time around.

12 oz. bottle pours a hazy, brownish amber body with a khaki head that retreats to a large patch of bubbles and a foam ring. Good retention & lacing. The aroma is very good: a blend of a wildflowers, orange zest, cedar resin, and gobs of caramel malt.

Now, I immensely enjoy the taste of both Arrogant and Double Bastard Ale (I also enjoy alot of oak-aged beers). But the oaken notes in this brew just don't do that much for me. Sure, it's big and bold and complex as hell, but it doesn't hold a flame to the enjoyable Double/ArrogantB Ales. Nevertheless, the oak does add some bitter, vanilla, palate-busting enjoyment to the usual malty, caramel, hop-rich taste of the Arrogant family. However, the blend is just too disparate for my liking. Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than ABA, but the hops and oak seem to compete to "out-bitter" each other on the finish.

So where does that leave me? About the same as my original assessment, surprisingly. Complexity and flavor-changes? You betcha. Drinkable brew? Not exactly...I'll be aging my last bottle for a while to see if it improves.

01-09-2008 04:43:45 | More by wagenvolks
allergictomacros

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a hazy dark, dark, dark brown with a creamy, sticky, tan head. Initial aroma is fruity and floral - notes of dark fruit, some molasses, grapes. Initial taste is pungent raisins and prunes, and an earthy, woody flavour. Initial mouthfeel is medium bodied with an astringent edge, and a soft carbonation. Bitterness is very strongly balanced initially, and explodes in the finish with a long, drying aftertaste. Take 2 brings out some coffee-like aromas and a graininess. Still very astringent in the mouth but from floral hoppiness comes through with a grapefruitiness. No question, this is a big flavourful beer, and challenging to say the least. As far as the oak goes, I like the woody flavour I guess, but could do with a little less astringency.

01-06-2008 03:50:48 | More by allergictomacros
brdc

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks ddddeac for this one.
Small capped bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Dark brown with multiple reddish highlights, it is capped by a nice, creamy and thick light tan head that unfortunately goes down quite fast, leaving only a thin collar but some lacing.
Aroma is pleasant, hoppy as expected, mostly pines, but it also has a caramel, malty aroma that if it does not come all the way to forefront, it stays in the back all the time providing a nice balance. There might also be some woodiness and vanilla in the background, although that is minimal.
Full bodied, it is hoppy and bitter as expected, piney again, with the same caramelized malty notes, along with some definite woodiness. Well balanced, it is a very good brew, but not fantastic. I believe aging this might improve it a bit.

01-05-2008 00:49:16 | More by brdc
livedrinkbeer

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Being an AB fan I was curious of the oak wood chips. This was my first experience with an oaked ale.
A- dark, amber, brown thick foamy tan head that rises quikly, very thick.
S- sweet, woody, hoppy smell
T- not as hoppy as the original arogant bastard as the oak chips mellow it out. Rich flavor, reminds me of a rich hoppy amber ale.
M- rich, thick, and good
D- the only thing wrong with the drinkability is the price at 13.99 a six pack ,even though you will not be disappointed a pleaser for sure.

01-04-2008 08:14:54 | More by livedrinkbeer
metalitool

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

I bought a single bottle of this from my favorite beer playground, knowing that I wouldn't be able to find this (or anything from Stone in my state).

While it is clearly not a Red (Irish) ale, it is the first red colored beer that I have liked. While it is an excellent beer its not quite as exciting as I had hoped for....but my expectations for a stronger taste of the wood aging may have been misplaced.

I havent tried Arrogant Bastard so I cant differentiate the oak from what it was otherwise. Not too much head from the beer, but a healthy dose of hops (while strong, hops are far toned down from Stone IPA....which is a great beer...with the less hops it is quite a lot more drinkable, which while making for pleasant drinking, quite painful at $16/six-pack where i saw it.

Overall, an excellent beer but i dont think that i would pony up the additional $10/sixpack if it was sitting next to Stone IPA on the shelf.

Beer is deceptively smooth (I'm really not noticing that its 7.2% abv, which while I am used to that, it seems to be disappearing quite quickly (so yes, i like it!....just not quite what i expected, which was a heck of a lot). And in all fairness, I may not be educated enough to distinguish wood aging unless it is quite pungent, which wouldnt necessarily be the best way of presenting said aroma/taste.

01-04-2008 04:51:48 | More by metalitool
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.