Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle - Pours a cloudy reddish/brown - unappealing, not pretty to look at. Ok, I'll say it, It is ugly. Smells of deep fruits and lots of alcohol. The aroma is complex with honey and pear battling a ton of other notes all screaming to be heard. First sip is tangy/bitter - also complex. There is a whole lot going on here. The oak really makes this 7.2% ABV beer seem a ton stronger. An intriguing complex ale that is spicy, bitter, and tangy. You have my attention.

ATLbeerDog, Sep 21, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

I got this beer in a trade from traquairlover as an extra but I had tried it before I decided to hang onto it for a while. I've only been holding onto it for 5 months or so but I really think it tastes better than fresher oaked AB i've had in the past. I don't know how long traquairlover himself had this beer.

Poured from bottle into tulip glass

Pours a pretty dark ruby-brown. A large, frothy tan head on top. Head holds up for a good while.

Smells of caramel malt and citrusy hops.

Wonderful hop flavor. A bit of a grassy and grapefruit vibe. Caramel malt is more pronounced than I remember fresher bottles being. I think the hop flavor is still here but the hop bite has been subdued. The head is very creamy. I think the little bit of aging has brought out the delicious malts and oak.

Great mouthfeel. Creamy and smooth with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is high. It's a tasty beer and at 7.20 abv I could drink a few.

Every time I have had this beer it's been good but this particular bottle however old it is, is a bit more interesting to me since the hops don't quite knock me over the head as is the case with most hoppy beers these days.

hellomcfly, Sep 20, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

a: appears dark brown until held to the light, which shows off its great ruby red color. Head is a tan color and leaves lots of lacing

s: caramel malt with hops, citrus, slight hint of oak and fruitiness (confirmed by other reviewers as grapefruit)

t: complex, caramel malt hits first, fades into a hoppie bite with taste of grapefruit, followed by the oak.

m: nice level of carbonation, medium thickness

d: the more I drink of it, the more I want another. The taste grows on you.

JakeSuperior, Sep 19, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Bright sherry red, a bit lighter and clearer than the original, if memory serves. The head is stalwart and the color of yellowed parchment.

Smell: The hop gang's all here - grassy, floral, and citric, with especially nice notes of rose and lavender. Malts are mostly caramelly with some peach notes and just a hint of woody spice from the oak.

Taste: Mmm... very nice, sweet, and toasty with a mildly bitter but robustly flavorful hop profile and an earthy, resinous, vaguely smoky edge of oak. More fruity and vinous than the original, and seemingly less dry - but it may only appear that way due to the subdued hops.

Mouthfeel: Dry, medium bodied, and perfectly carbonated; not too sprizy but just lively enough to carry the flavor.

Drinkability: Very interesting and tasty, and not as "arrogant" as expected.

soulgrowl, Sep 19, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -55.2%

I haven't had Arrogant Bastard in years, but figured I'd try this oaked version on tap at Monk's Kettle in case my tastes have changed. Let's see...nope. Still tastes like the absurdly over-hopped Arrogant Bastard I remember. No balance at all. Just pure hops. Maybe I'll try it again a few years from now.

waltonc, Sep 19, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A lovely bottle with plenty to read decants a deep clear almost ruby red body with one of the biggest and baddest heads that stays around for quite a while leaving tons of lacing. What a wonderful look.

Smells are oak chips, caramel malt that is tinged by a fruitiness of hop character.

The taste of this beer begins fruity and sweeet and then has a hop kick near the end that rides out with plenty of spice and grapefruit flavor that isn't overly bitter.
The mouthfeel is medium with steady carbonation that doesn't fizzle out too quickly.

I would rank this high on drinkability for the style considering it is 7% and really packs alot into that abv. Rank among the highest in the extreme category, but still keeps a reasonable abv.

I haven't had the regular Arrogant Bastard, but I am a fan of the Oaked version.

rtratzlaff, Sep 19, 2008

Malty, dark, fruity, and complex nose. Bright citric hops. Fruity esters. Slightly sour and earthy.

Pours a dark, dark burgundy/ruby hue with a mild head.

Tart fruit and rich malt greet the palate. Dry suggestions of oak, or at least woody vanilla. A good stiff hop bitterness resides in the finish and grows and spreads seemingly without bounds to the point that it is the primary flavor. Medium-thick-to-thick body, polite yet pushy carbonation.

Sampled from a 12oz bottle. I'd like to experience it in a bigger bottle; it grew on me right up to the last sip and I want more. Someday.

MrHungryMonkey, Sep 16, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

On Tap @the Blind Tiger 09-14-08

A- darker maroonish, but a full, lush, creamy-toned head, leaving lace

s-cherries, whiskey, vanilla, berries, cognac,

T- vanilla jumps up first, smothers the palate with the flavor of that sweet bean, fruit flavors join in as well, but vanilla maintains it's dominance

M- Medium mouthfeel, body, smooth, tasty

D- outstanding overall, but for some reason i enjoy the bite of the regular version of this beer better, but dont get me wrong, this one isnt bad either!

bonbini26, Sep 15, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer recently arrived in North Texas and I couldn't be more excited. Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Beautiful rich deep amber coloring, finger of head and heavy lacing. Great looking brew.

S: The oak is the predominant scent which is wonderful. The nose also picks up some of the hops as well. Rich smelling brew, gotta give it a 5. Can't imagine any better.

T & M: The standard Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorites and I enjoyed this beer as I expected. The oak definitely adds some additional complexity, especially in the finish. Perfectly balanced brew.

D: Highly drinkable, this will definitely be a stalwart in the fridge as I prefer six packs vs bombers. The standard Bastard is great but this is even better.

elniko, Sep 14, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a pint glass. This is the last of the six-pack I bought for my birthday last year (October 1st). I've read on forums that this beer is better fresh. Now I get to see for myself.

4.5 A: Dark copper, medium brown color. Thick, creamy as hell head that leaves every spot of glass lace ridden. Head retains exceptionally well.

4.5 S: Oak wood (obviously) is the strongest aroma. Earthy, floral and herbal hops. Sweet caramel and toffee on the malt end.

4.5 T: This truly is one hell of a beer. Woody foremost, followed by mint and some citrus. The woodiness places you in a saw mill or something like that, just inhaling wood essence. Finishes with a sour/bitter combination as well as with a wood aftertaste.

4.0 M: Medium body that would be perfect with both a little more creaminess and a little more biting carbonation. Warming at the end with the alcohol content.

4.0 D: Excellent beer. I would argue that aging it does make it better for most people. The biggest difference between a fresh one and an almost year old one is the aftertaste. In the fresh OAB, the woody aftertaste is even stronger than the beer taste. I personally like that about the beer, but it decreses its drinkability. The aged one has a more subdued aftertaste which is more palatable for most people.

DavoleBomb, Sep 14, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle pours a dark ruby brown with creamy khaki colored head. Nice malty aroma consisting of oak, vanilla, brown sugar and chocolate malt. The mouthfeel is medium to full with decent carbonation. Malt dominates the flavor. Oak, raisin and vanilla all come to the forefront. Piney, bitter hoppiness midway. Oak resumes along with some alcohol and lingering hop bitterness.

Arrogant Bastard itself is a great beer. Oaked Arrogant Bastard is that much better.

Winter, Sep 14, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a NB Chalice, this beer is a nice reddish-tinted brown color. It doesn't seem to have quite the same head retention as the normal bastard, but it does leave good lacing. Lots of sensuous hops in the nose, a good underlying malt, and maybe a faint oakiness... it's hard to detect over the other quite strong scents. Oakiness comes through more in the flavor, but it's not a large flavor component. It's easily as good as the ordinary version, but it doesn't seem to add much complexity or interest, to me. It does seem a tad smoother, though.

Top-notch, just like the ordinary AB, but probably not worth the 50% premium price they put on top.

allengarvin, Sep 13, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A= This beer poured a dark caramel brown color, with a 2" cream colored head. Constant big carbonaton release. Lots of lacing down the glass.

S= I found aromas of soft oak, brown sugar, pie crust, and some herbal notes.

T= I tasted soft woody oak up front blended with a mild sweetness and hints of vanilla. As each sip progressed, I also detected some hop bitterness. Finish was long and dry.

MF= Medium bodied and a little creamy on the tongue. The dryness/astringency was a bit bracing at times, but still pleasant.

D= This was a very interesting beer. I apprciated the oak flavors playing against the malt sweetness and the big hop biterness. No much to complain about but I do think this beer would benefit from further aging.

spointon, Sep 13, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Firstly let me say that I'm very envious of the BAs who've had this out of a cask.

I really don't know where to begin with this. It's just an all-round terrific beer. In the 1960s Bernard Miles used to advertise Mackeson Stout on TV with the tagline "It looks good, it tastes good, and by golly it does you good". Of course, they wouldn't be able to use the third one of those descriptors these days but I reckon a glass of Oaked AB would be fine by me on the basis of 'A little of what you fancy does you good'. Not a beer I could drink all night but certainly something I'd like to have on hand in my fridge at all times.

I'm going to need a bigger fridge.

omnigrits, Sep 12, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a pint glass, pours a rust color with brown tint to it and a nice fluffy head that leaves nice thick lace on the glass. Smell is a hoppy resin, biscuit and also a bit of caramel in the nose, also nice notes of vanilla and wood. Taste is very sweet with a nice sweet hop finish, overall I can't detect much of the oak in this one, but I can detect the roasted malty character of this brew. Overall this is another awesome offering from Stone, I can't wait till I can purchase this in Florida, I am hearing very soon.

gunnerman, Sep 11, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Dark brown, opaque delicious looking. Aggressive pour gave almost 3 fingers of thick tan head, which strangely reminded me of swiss cheese due to some large bubbles

S - Deep woody, vanilla notes along with the expected citrus and pine fragrance. It smells absolutely amazing

T - All of the above. Plus, a fantastic mouth coating bitterness to go along with all that sweetness. This beer is really well balanced.

M - Creamy, medium-heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is spot on.

D - While I really REALLY love this beer. I can't drink too many of these. I think it's best savored slowly and one at a time.

This is a supremely well crafted beer.
Can't Recommend this enough

toweringpoo, Sep 11, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

P: Presented in 12 oz., brown bottle and poured into a Hennepin flute.

A: Pours a dark tobacco amber with glints of red ruby, and a generous two-finger head with gobs of sticky lacing.

S: Citrus hops, lime, mint, pineapple, brown sugar and honey.

T: Rich, malty and sweet upfront, followed by a bracingly bitter middle. Complex taste profile with big notes of pineapple, mint, lime and brown sugar. Subtle hints of earthy wood, biscuit and alcohol lay low in the background. Aggressively hopped, yet exceptionally smooth and well-balanced. Finishes dry and somewhat sweet.

M: Full-bodied and creamy with moderate carbonation.

D: Well-crafted and much preferred to the non-oaked variety. Deceptively drinkable considering the high ABV.

CaptainIPA, Sep 10, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Got this as a freebie from a fellow (but competitor) liquor store clerk and friend. I was floored when I saw it lurking in the back of the cooler and was even more excited when he decided to hand it over at no cost.

The beer poured a gorgeous ruby with a tan head. The lacing was prevalent throughout. As for the flavor, just imagine the regular Arrogant Bastard, but with a heaping helping of oak. This stuff is phenomenal. The balance struck between big citrusy hops and rich malt is complimented greatly by the addition of oak. I wasn't expecting any alcohol flavor, and in fact I found none. This isn't much of a surprise at 7.2%, but the folks at Stone do a great job masking the alcohol in their higher abv beers nonetheless.

The smell is once again dominated by the oak with no hint of alcohol to be found by my estimation, though the citrus notes of the hops poke their way through.

By my count, there should still be four more of these suckers at the store, and if I have it my way, at least one more will be mine. I can't wait to have it again. Great beer.

BigJim5021, Sep 10, 2008
4.2/5  rDev 0%

Deep amber color with a somewhat lumpy, inconsistent head. Aromas of pine and fruit cocktail. The taste is very good, toasty caramel layered over with pine, fruity, and oak notes. Creamy rich body. A lot of fruitiness on the finish with more woody notes coming through late. Distinctive without being outrageous. Recommended.

Flyer, Sep 08, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

I was really looking forward to drinking this beer, especially after seeing all of the reviews. I was disappointed.

It is a nice red color with a puffy white head that laces all the way down the glass. It smells great, the oak really comes through but it also smells very sweet.

The taste in one word.... boozy. This beer tastes more like 9.5% than 7.2%. Don't get me wrong I like strong beers with an alcohol kick occasionally but this is not boozy in a good way. Strong alcohol bite, very subtle smokiness, strong, sweet malts, not too hoppy. Not very smooth.

It is very oily and thick beer and stays with you. Strong aftertaste that isn't great.

All in all I may drink this again, but I won't pay for it. I hear it is much better on tap and I may be persuaded to try it on draft but the bottle was just mediocre.

I don't know why these guys of the Arrogant line are so Arrogant, I've never had a beer of this line that was anything better than okay.

Brew33, Sep 05, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured from the bottle, into a pub glass.

A nice rich brown, with fluffy kaki head! Very pretty beer!

Smell, to be expected, there was some Oak character in there, not as much as I would have expected, I had to search for it. Has a very sweet smell, almost like candy. Had some real bourbon/cognac quality to it. Very complex nose.

Taste was very good. Malty, with some hops to come in after. Had some fruity, citrus qualities, and again, you can taste a hint of woody oak.

A drinkable beer, but in low quantities, not one I would want more then one or two of.

buffettfan, Sep 03, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Special thanks to my boy, hurleymanvw, for giving me this brew after our tasting. Since we are going to have Stone here in GA soon, I figure it's time to drink this bad boy.

A- Deep, dark brown with mahogony and almond colors thrown in as highlights. No head to speak of; very oily looking, not much carbonation or 'sparkle' to this one yet.

S- Sweet from the malt to the tune of molasses and brown sugar but also hoppy and fruity. The alcohol warms you in the chest and the vanilla and oak round out the nose. Very complex and not overpowering; balanced but deep.

T- Wow, sweet up front but instantly after that, the hops hit you with a earthy and rich taste. The oak is thrown in mostly 3/4 of the way through and enhances the bitterness a little more and also adds a vanilla-like presence. It definitely puts a spin on things. The alcohol is subtle, but detectable in the final taste. Again, very complex but nothing over the top. All flavors meld together nice and evenly.

M- Oily and medium. Medium carbonation.

D- For the drink and the experience, it is very nice. A session beer it is not. I like it and will make it a staple in my fridge if we get this offering in my area.

MMAJYK, Sep 03, 2008

Cold 12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Slightly red in the glass when held up to the light. Beer pours a dark amber brown with a medium dark tan head that quickly falls.

Aroma is VERY nice: toasty caramel, very sweet, slightly nutty. First sip is very strong. Alcohol. Blunt and bitter. Carbonation is up front but as the taste lingers it becomes a little bit more complex, earthy. The aftertaste is, as expected, the added oak for this variety.

It's got a not-quite-IPA bitterness, along with a huge malt profile. I'm not sure they're really going for balance here, but they're not too far off. But it's not a great beer, it's just strong.

A pricey 6-pack. When will Stone make an arrogant bastard English style mild ale? Huh? I didn't realize English Mild was too American-Mass-Market for them. Or maybe their palette is not sophisticated enough.

hreb, Sep 01, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Crimson hues with a light tan head. Would like to see more lacing and retention. Aroma consists of spicy hops, vanilla, malt and oak. The taste is hoppy to the extent of being a little too bitter for my liking. The aftertaste is also too acidic and is actually giving me some wicked acid reflux. Oak and vanilla can also be found in the flavor, but are almost silenced by the bitterness. The mouthfeel is the best part of this entirely cocky beer. Characterized by a smooth creaminess and perfect carbonation. However, I found the bitterness and astringency of this one to be a little overpowering, thus limiting the drinkability. I personally prefer regular AB.

itcomesnpints, Sep 01, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz single - one of those beers i have always wanted to try but never wanted to buy a 6 pack of.

appearance: poured into a snifter- its beauty is apparent right away - dark garnet body with a huge creamy beige head thats fluffyness remains strong throughout and laces the entire rim of the snifter - NICE!

smell: lovely sweet cherries, cognac, vanilla, big time oak chips, white chocolate...just tons of complexity here

taste: In my opinion, this knocks the socks off the standard arrogant bastard, which i dont seem to enjoy as much as i used to. The flavor profile is driven off the jagged oak presence that leaves behind traces of vanilla bean and white chocolate before the bitter hopped out core is reached. There is some light booze but the resiny hops steal the show after the initial oak blast.

mouthfeel: fairly smooth, bitter hop afterbite

drinkability: high

dirtylou, Aug 30, 2008
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.