Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
bjoyce12

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

A slight disappointment. I figured the oaking factor would start with AB as a baseline and add a great deal of taste and depth. Not necessarily so. Yes, slightly more vanilla scents and a bit more of a chocolate and roasted malt undertone than AB, but not hugely noticeable. Bottom line: If you're a fan of AB, you'll like this one as well. Not much more, and prob not enough to justify the added cost of this over regular ol' dependable AB.

11-30-2007 17:12:03 | More by bjoyce12
AlephNull

Delaware

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Pours a slightly hazy, deep copper brown color with one finger of off-white head.

S - Wow -- fantastic aroma. A sweet, malty scent with fresh fruit characteristics. Also present are some piney citrusy hops, but that sweet malt dominates. A definite oaky scent here.

T - When that oaky scent turns into a flavor it makes a beautifully round beer. The malts still dominate this flavor early with a definite vanilla flavor. To round out the beer, the bittering hops are piney and citrusy, but not over the top. Very well balanced beer.

M- Light carbonation with a moderately heavy body. A very round feel to this beer. Finishes dry.

D- Fantastically drinkable and sessionable beer.

11-27-2007 02:14:32 | More by AlephNull
fitzy84

4.45/5  rDev +6%

This was actually on tap at the Moan and Dove. It poured with a heavy head and had a very, very dark appearance. It did, however, have some amber seen when you looked through it in light. The Oaked Arrogant Bastard had a very strong malty aroma and was wicked sweet in caramel-like flavors. It had a medium body and was really, really thick. Very desert-like. That oak-aging worked wonders for a Stone classic. Highly recommended

11-26-2007 22:20:36 | More by fitzy84
rxdrewthejew

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

A: A hazy, rusty reddish-brown. A thick tan head, slowly dissolving and plenty of lacing.

S: The oak scent is very prominent atop some molasses-like sweetness.

T: Rich, roasted and well balanced. Plenty of sweetness along with the bite of the oak. An aggressive hop finish makes this beer very well rounded.

MF: Very low carbonation and thus smooth going down, but the oak and the hops give this a sharp bite as well. Thick and chewy.

D: I think this is better than the original-the oak really balances with the sweetness. Easy to drink despite the high alcohol. Another creative brew by Stone that works really well. Nice to see this in 12 oz bottles and year-round.

11-26-2007 05:12:09 | More by rxdrewthejew
Andbrew

Poured to Tulip best before date 12/25/07.

Wonderful cherry color with a monster creamy head that wont go away; looks like frosting on top.

First smell give me great hops with a background of the rough woodsy oak that this has been aged in. A lot more to this, some of the fruity esters from the yeast coming through.

Taste is much more mellow than the original AB, smoothed out with a lot less bitter and more warmth. The bitter is still very apparent but without the resiny quality - more of a citrus bitter. The wood is apparent but not overwhelmingly so. Aftertaste is as strong as the original and reminiscent of the Double.

Great beer here and would be even better after a bit in the cellar.

11-25-2007 08:19:27 | More by Andbrew
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

2007 release 12oz. bought at the Boise Coop for $2.50/bottle. Enjoyed in a wine glass while listening to Stormshadow's "Synthesis".

Deep amber/copper pour with a 3/4 inch long lasting lt. tan head that says smell me from here. Good lacing that trails for 45 minutes plus.

Big bitter smell and pine/citrus polished off with freshly sanded wood ... toasted malts and fresh biscuits.

Taste is BIG. BITTER with enough sweetness to balance nicely. There is a looong finish here. Creamy cocoa, vanilla, harsh pine needles and grapefruit bitterness, just simply a thick thick thick palate ... sooo many things going on here ... when said and done, a dry piney/lip smacking woodiness (sp?) sticks around for ages.

For as much as I love the Stone beers, the AB and the OAB have never really done it for me, but I am not going to let my tastes alter the overall review. I know the "fizzy yellow beer" mantra, but there is something I just can't get into .... A brewing buddy says I can't stand Chinook hops .... I have little idea if there are any Chinook in here, but I just can't put my fiinger on my dislikes... that being said, I will continue to buy and try the OAB just to prove my palate wrong ... Damn Stone ... Love you guys.

11-25-2007 07:16:39 | More by JohnGalt1
Wasatch

Utah

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

2008 Vintage

Pours a cloudy dark amber color, some carbonation, not much of a head, some islands and sticky lacing around the glass. The nose is of sweet malts, a slight woodsy tone, hops, and caramel. The taste is malty and slightly bitter in the tongue, the finish is quite dry, nice undertone of caramel. Alcohol is hidden very well. Medium body, well rounded brew. Very drinkable, still an awesome brew, would still recommed if you can find it.

2007 Vintage

2006 Vintage

12oz. Bottle from Foxman and BuckEyeNation.
Been sitting on this one for about a year.

11-22-2007 21:15:48 | More by Wasatch
jeffmonarch

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

12 oz. bottle in a snifter.

A - Dark ruby red color with a light brown head.

S - Slight hints of wood, also hints of

T - Wow, really smooth initially then the after taste is full of woodsy flavor

M - Medium to full body, flavor lingers

D - Great beer, this beer has really strong flavors with a good after taste. It is highly drinkable.

11-22-2007 03:57:00 | More by jeffmonarch
dmamiano

West Virginia

3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured a nice tawny amber, almost brown.
head from the pour was immense, thick creamy off white.
Lace was also thick...clinging to the side of the glass through the whole drinking experience.
Taste was of strong malts and hoppiness...caramel and biscuit maybe came to mind.
Good mouthfeel with a bitterness from the hops that lingered long past the swallow.

11-21-2007 18:47:49 | More by dmamiano
SloMoSlovak

New Mexico

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

I've never really cared that much for the original Arrogant Bastard. It's okay, and in a style that seems to be up my alley (I love hops, bitterness, etc.), but I always thought the brewers lived up to their hype and the beer was a dare to try something just overdone.

I got this six-pack (and another) from a friend of my wife for "fixing" her computer. A good deal for 20 minutes of work in my book, and despite some ambivalence regarding the original AB, I was intrigued by the oaking.

On occasion, I do drink wine, and I normally steer clear of Chardonnay, as I'm not crazy about drinking something that tastes like wood. Oaked AB demonstrates, though, that oaking may go better with beer than wine.

Poured into a nonic, the beer was very clear, and a flat medium-dark brown. Very little head (maybe due to the new glass, just washed) but what little there was lingered almost to the end.

Nose, just hops and maybe a light toasty malt aroma...I think I detected it only because I was looking for it. No evidence of oak in the scent.

The taste was where my appreciation for this beer took off. It seems like the oaking (assuming the formula is more or less the same as the original AB) mellows out a bit of the overly-assertive bitterness. It's still there, but, I guess I'd call it "flatter" than the normal AB. Hops are on the piney side, which I think matches well with the oak, which doesn't really stand out, but rather matches harmoniously with the other elements. Malt presence is subdued, as in the aroma. It's there, but you gotta look for it.

Mouthfeel, a bit thinner than I anticipated, but I think this supported the drinkability overall. More refreshing than I thought it would be.

I'm not sure I'd search this one out, given all the other great beers out there that I already love or have yet to try, but I wouldn't hesitate to drink it again.

Update, 11/21/07

I've since finished the remaining 5 beers in the six pack. I don't need to change the scoring overall, but I wanted to note that I think my description was off a bit. I don't know what I was smoking, but I missed out on the malt flavor in this beer. It's not nearly as subdued as I originally wrote. I think the beer is still in balance, due to the Stone proclivity for hops/bitterness, but the balance definitely tips more to the malt side than I'd originally indicated.

Although I wouldn't change my score, my respect for this beer actually grew as I finished the six-pack off. I think I'd be more likely to pick this one up, too.

11-21-2007 15:51:18 | More by SloMoSlovak
ndekke39

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Found a six-pack of this at a local store. I've always liked Arrogant Bastard, so I was excited to see the Oaked version come out. I poured the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. It's a lovely ruby-copper with a small, tan head. Excellent retention throughout the process. Smells are good, but a little off. Definite notes of piny hops, a thick malty center, and the oak. However, along with the oak comes a slightly rubbery smell. Not strong, but it's still there. Taste is much better. Big taste of the hops... very citrusy and piny. Great bitterness on the center of the tongue, finishing clean with a strong, grainy touch. Some vanilla in the aftertaste. Medium-bodied - not as thick as a stout, but a couple steps up from a pale ale. Overall, very drinkable beer. The character morphed nicely as the beer warmed up. Definitely check this one out at least once!

11-20-2007 22:54:43 | More by ndekke39
nightcrawler

4.2/5  rDev 0%

I enjoy a good Arrogant Bastard every now and again.

The oaked taste, however, was not as up front as I had hoped. I could smell a bit of wood in the aroma, but it is hard to find in the taste. Probably since it isn't put into a barrel, only aged on oak chips.

While I wouldn't pay a premium amount more for this beer than I would a regular Arrogant Bastard, this is still good stuff. But only slightly better than the original.

11-19-2007 17:00:16 | More by nightcrawler
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Big thanks to Viggo for including this in my CanBIF #3 package, I love Arrogant Bastard, and have not been able to sample to oak aged stuff yet.

Pours out a deep transluscent red oak, hazed and almost nearing opaque. Tall sand-coloured creamy head that eventually drops down to a quarter inch sized cap, lots of sticky lacing in its wake.

The aroma is a big hit of malt with a lot of fig and date in the profile, faint cherry, almost vinuous, like Turkish delight. Caramel, vanilla and papaya. Citrus from the hops, although the malt is most certainly in control here on the nose.

Vanilla and caramel are thrust up front on the flavour, while an intense herbal hop jumps in as well throughout. After a few sips the hops abstain from appearing until the middle, but it's a force to reckon with and soon takes control. As it warms everything seems to balance out nicely until the finish, where it is a leafy, tongue-raking hop paradise, that is the gateway to a very astringent aftertaste, the memory of all that great malt goodness just a fading shadow.

Mouthfeel is smooth and on the light side, sticky on the finish.

This stuff is pretty intense, and will follow you around for the rest of they day. Hell, it might just sleep overnight on your doorstep as well if you don't watch out. Big on the malt and on the hops, although the hops do win out in the end on that tug of war.

11-18-2007 23:14:38 | More by IronDjinn
jkdrummer

Washington

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a nice thick ruddy head, almost amber in color. Head retention right down to the bottom. Bright hoppy taste and exceptional mouth-feel, down right to the bottom creamy. Color is a deep amber brown. Oak flavors are there but don't take over the hops and sweet alcohol taste. Which is surprising But still -- an excellent Bastard! Recommended!

11-18-2007 01:32:25 | More by jkdrummer
malty

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from a fresh 12 oz. long neck into the new Sam Adams curvy scientifically thoughtful glass.

The color is a ruddy glowing amber-rosewood with a fine 1/2" head.
Sheets on almost undisturbed lace all the way down the glass.

Smells just like a freshly bit into caramel apple; Vanilla dominates while the hops bring to the rear a somewhat spicy tropical fruit element. A few brisk swirls of my fancy glass evokes concord grape jelly scents smattered with brown sugar & molasses.

Wow, all the deeply sweet & malty scents took a shotgun seat position as the dry & rindy hops grabbed the wheel as soon as this glorious liquid hit my tongue. The oak chip maturation really shines on the standard Arrogant Bastard I've grown so fond of. The hops and the oak chips create a perfect dryness & bitterness for the sweet (and slightly toasty) malts to rest upon. All of the scents I described translate perfectly into the flavors, all with a bombastic bitter hop attack straight out of the gate. There's even a tiny hint of sourness at the finish, (although it could just be the unique bitter/dryness from the oak chips) which I'm really digging.

Mouthfeel is medium-to-full bodied with a perfect amount of ultra fine carbonation to keep all the flavors frolicking. A deeply flavorful and dry finish.

Drinkability is through the roof. This really works well for me. The sweet & thick malts linger underneath the potent hop ensemble all entwined with the vanilla dry oakey spotlight - blows my socks off. I'd skip dinner and just drink a few more of these!

Overall a stunningly bold and perfectly balanced ale. It's like The Avengers, The Invaders, The Fantastic Four and the Super Friends all got together and created this beer. If I were to compare this beer to a band, it'd definitely be Led Zeppelin. Full force, multi-dimensional, grimy and graceful! A perfect beer for me!

11-18-2007 00:47:52 | More by malty
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

12 oz bottle. Its been a while since I had this one. It pours a deep amber color with a light coat of head over top. The clarity is moderate and there are a few stray bubbles, but no real carbonation present. The aroma is deep caramel with an underlying pine hop and a mellow tannin and light vanilla. It has a nice balance between the aromas. The first sip brings a very solid vanilla and tannin that moves to a full pine hop with a sweet caramel and almost sugary sweetness that fades into a solid but pleasing bitterness. I really think the vanilla on this one blends really well with the caramel and hop of the brew. I don't remember their being a a vanilla note in this one. Mouthfeel is thick, with a light carbonation. Drinkability on this one is really good. There are some big flavors but they blend well and don't make it overpowering. This one still impresses me.

11-17-2007 04:09:20 | More by kmpitz2
DIM

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

a: A dark slightly hazed ruby tinted brown. A huge off-white head with lots of lacing.

s: Earthy malts upfront. Some smoke and sweet alcohol also noted.

t: Up front the oaked version is similar to Arrogant Bastard (ab). A huge dry malt profile unique to the bastards hits first. The hop bite that follows is blunted somewhat by the oak. Blunted and replaced by... what? Well, that's the problem. The oak flavor is too faint to justify its taming of the hops. Still, this is a more blanced beer than ab and damn tasty.

m: Carbonation is long lasting, a good thing as this is certainly a sipper. Flavors linger nicely at the back of the throat.

d: Tough to score fairly. Comparing this to ab lowers the score quite a bit. Scored on its own merit,however, this is a beer I'd revisit.

11-15-2007 13:28:41 | More by DIM
NCSUdo

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

12 oz bottle, thanks to either tayner, jasonjlewis or IntriqKen for this sample, don't know whose bottle I am drinking.

A: Pours an opaque deep red under a slightly off white head.

S: A twang grass and slightly citrus hops with some herbal/medicinal qualities, some vanilla, some nice sweet malt. Incredible complexity and equal balance on this aroma.

T: Sweet up front, slight medicinal quality and apparent wood, vanilla and anise, and some smoke in the finish along with some very tame hop bitterness. No hint of alcohol. Again, very complex and very balanced.

M/D: Mouthfeel is very nice. Medium to full bodied, creamy on the palate with no prickly carbonation. Incredible well done. Nice drinkablity as well.

Overall, an excellent,excellent beer that could be enjoyed in quanity or sipped. A more tame version of Arrogant Bastard, but one that adds its own stamp on the name.

11-13-2007 01:16:50 | More by NCSUdo
calebmills

West Virginia

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

i like it. very smooth. dark. nice faint citrus taste, alcohol is pretty hidden. cant really find the oaked flavor though but that doesnt take anything away. this is yet another stone brew that goes straight to the top of my list.not the best but up there pretty close. if you like the original bastard you will like this

11-12-2007 03:40:46 | More by calebmills
kelticblood

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%

Strong hoppy aroma when first opened. First sips reveal a strong bitterness along with an earthy tone. The appearance has almost the same color as the bottle it came in, a dark brown. Has moderate thin lacing and a head that reduced real quick to almost nothing. Would of liked to see a bigger head for such a hyped beer.
Nicely carbonated with a full body. Leaves a very dry bitter finish. The hop flavor and bitterness hides any other tastes that might be present. Alcohol is well hidden making it easy to drink. I'm not really getting an aged ale with oak chip tastes.Maybe the earthy tone I tasted was the oak chips. It does taste different than regular Arrogant bastard which I prefer. It does have a slight sweet finish. I'm not really impressed with this. The price they were charging was outrageous at like $16.99 a six-pack. I only bought a single.

11-12-2007 01:38:31 | More by kelticblood
FightingEntropy

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Presentation: bottle from Village Bottle Shoppe in W. Lafayette, IN poured into a pint glass.

A: dark brown ale wiht some ruby highlights, murky, not as shimmering as regular Bastard. A off white head builds quickly, and falls away. A bit of lace but not much.

S: Strong oak nose dominates over the malty spine of the beer. The malty sweetness is pushed to the side for the oak. Hops present, strong and aggressive, but still mellow compared to the straight Bastard I had last night. Still a fruity hop bite in nose, but not as much.

T: More oak. Good beer to learn what oak tastes like. Big malt, big hop, but neither lingers not the mouth like the regular, again overridden by the oak. Not a great, but a good blend.

M: here's the thing that's weird, is the mouthfeel is a bit thin, definately lighter than the regular. Missing the chewiness for some reason. Still good, but some interaction I don't seem to get has changed the feel of this beer.

Overall: In spite of the notes above, this is still a pretty good beer. I'd prefer to have the regular Arrogant Bastard over this, which shows I suppose that throwing something in a barrel isn't always going to improve the beer, regardless of being more extreme (and more work). Not upset that I got the six pack, but wish I had more of the regular or gotten more Ruination.

Peer comparison: I'm off in another direction on this one, but I think I'm ok with that. Evidently the lighter mouthfeel is seen as smoothness but others, but I don't have any problem with the smoothness of the regular. Sounds like the tap version may have some subtleness not mentioned in the bottled beer, but I haven't had a chance to confirm that--sadly I live in a non-Stone state and grab it when I'm elsewhere. No one pointed to the oak as dominating as I did, which seems to be the point of reduction for me.

11-10-2007 23:44:47 | More by FightingEntropy
r00tarded

1.85/5  rDev -56%

I can't find the attraction to this beer. I know there are lots of people that love it, but if I wanted to suck on a grapefruit, I'd suck on a grapefruit.

I had the non-oaked version and found it barely palatable. I tried the oaked version and, while its more drinkable, it's hardly a beer that I'd say "yes please, I'd love another one!".

One of my least favorites from Stone Brewing and my least favorite strong ale.

11-09-2007 20:41:37 | More by r00tarded
PhageLab

4.2/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the Tap house in Hampton. I'd been waiting for this one a while, and I wasn't let down. But let's not get ahead of ourselves now, only a fool would do that.

A - In a pint glass it showed up with a nice fingertip's worth of head that stuck around for a bit. Excellent lacing was shown as this swirling chestnut mixture went down. Fades to a darker brown.

S - Toasted malts and woodchips. Not an overpowering smell as I was expecting, but not unpleasant.

T - Incredible complexity, big roasty profile with spices and malt-like tastes. What amazed me about this brew was that unlike it's standard counterpart, it was nearly impossible to taste the alcohol! Of course due to it's warming effects you could still detect it. As it warmed, it became a bit sweeter and the hop bite was more apparent.

M - Naturally full bodied, perfect carbonation levels, and a nice clean finish. No residue or other nonsense.

D - Excellent, I had a few, and am looking forward to having a few more. This is probably my favorite offering from Stone. Bravo!

11-09-2007 17:50:36 | More by PhageLab
TheBierBand

4.45/5  rDev +6%

Served in a pint glass, The 1" light beige head stayed around for a long time... very pillowy and left thick lacing. The beer is a deep amber.... looks GOOD!

The smell was understated. I picked up a piney/citrusy hops in the nose.

Taste: YUM! I like this stuff!... the oak aging has mellowed the strong bite of the un-oaked... Oh yes there is still a pronounced hop flavor.... a good combination of pine and grapefruit rind. The malt is there in the background to help balance things out. Plus there is a solid "woodsy" taste... kind of like getting lost in a pine forest.

Mouthfeel: I can't imagine anything better.... this is the thickest, most robust ale I've ever had.... and the creamy mouth coating lingers on and on. The carbonation level is on the low side... which, I feel, only adds to the overall creamyness of this wonderful beer!

Drinkability: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED... good stuff. I would like to do a side-by side comparison with regular Arrogant Bastard Ale.... just to appreciate the difference.

11-05-2007 21:41:26 | More by TheBierBand
Upgrayedd

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

I had this one on tap at the Red Coat Tavern in Royal Oak, MI.

Wow, this is a totally different beer than the AB I had from the bottle a few weeks ago. Maybe it's the oak aging or that it was served on tap, but the hop bitterness was toned down.

Appearance was blase due to the fact that there was no head or any lacing. My first sip I was hit by a whallop of fruitiness, and after that I got the hops. Only after slurping it a bit could I taste the oak. I guess this is the first Stone that I liked(I haven't had their stouts yet), so maybe I'll sample a few more.

11-05-2007 15:30:27 | More by Upgrayedd
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.