Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a clear ruby brown color with one finger light off white head.

Scent of sharp piny hops, sweet malts, some sugars and young oak.

Taste is similar, caramel, young oak, a hint of vanilla, strong malts and some sweet fruits lingering behind it all.

Mouthfeel is clean and sharp, but lighter than I had hoped.

I enjoyed this beer, but there is something about it that isn't quite there.

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was stoked to get a hold of one of these "arrogant" concoctions. A friend of mine brought it back from a visit to Austin, TX.

It has a rich, opaque, dark amber tone with a creamy, off white head, which didn't stick around for long.

The nose was kind of surprising. I was expecting the wood to come through stronger than it did. As it was, it was hardly noticeable in this instance. It hints citrus, brown sugar, and a touch of oak to accompany the hops. I gathered all the above in the taste with more of the oak coming through. Not as boozy a flavor as many strong ales; this being more akin to an IPA.

The mouthfeel was lighter than the appearance advertised, initially. With each drink the texture increased. By the fifth drink or so it was more robust, but still lighter than I would have thought prior.

All in all this was a solid beer. What else should one expect from Stone?

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, that I've been saving for over a year, served in a standard pint glass.

L - murky amber color with a light tan head that left some decent starry sky lacing.

S - malty sweet aroma, similar to a good dopplebock.

T - malty sweet flavor with a light woody taste and light bitterness bringing up the rear.

F - medium/full bodied with a thick, heavy feel.

D - highly drinkable, a 'must try' for all beer lovers.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Big thanks to KarlHungus for sharing

A- Pours a semi cloudy burnt orange color, with a tan head. Very interesting combination. Nice lacing.

S- The oaky vanilla dryness can be picked out pretty easily as well as a slight smokiness. There is a nice hoppy edge popping out as well.

T- Nice light peach, green apple skins, then a dry oakiness coats the palette and is joined by a dry hoppy finish.

M- Low carbonation is nice. The oak is not overpowering.

D- Not a terribly sessionable brew, but definitely a nice beer that wouldn't be a bad idea to seek out if you've never had it.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Stone has finally made its way to Georgia. I've read all the hype, now I'm able to sample the brews.

So, I'm reading the side of the bottle....oh my...that really hurt. I had no idea I was such an unworthy piece of crap!

This pours a dark, hazy brown. 1/4" of head that stuck around for a while.

Smell is mostly of hops.

The taste is, well, like the bottle said, I'm not worthy. There's a lot going on, and I probably can't really decipher it all. It's hoppy, mostly citrusy. There's also some smooth caramel malts. SO confusing. It almost seems like a contradiction to say, but it's quite hoppy and quite smooth at the same time. It's got a medium body. Not too heavy. Alcohol is there, but it's not overpowering.

Drinkability is excellent. For a while, I was on a hoppy beer kick, but I've gotten away from the hoppy beers now. But even if you're not a fan of really hoppy beers, this is a must try. It's hoppy, but so well done and balanced, it isn't overpowering and well, they just did a great job with it.

My first Stone has pleased me greatly and I look forward to enjoying more of their work! They're lucky, after that shot at my self esteem on the bottle...

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Got this on-tap at Trappeze in Athens.

Pours a dark copper color with a one-finger off-white head that slowly dissipates into a thin layer of bubbles on top and a thick ring around the glass that leaves great lacing.

Smells very nice. Lots of sweet malt and piney hops that accompany an earthy/woody aroma. There's also a very nice floral hop aroma that decreases as the beer warms.

Tastes great. It's very sweet up front, followed shortly by a wallop of piney hops before evolving into a woody flavor and finally ending with a flavor that's somehow bitter and sweet at the same time. Every now and then I'll get a slight hint of citrus hops.

Mouthfeel is great. The beer does a good job of coating my mouth, and it's got a great thickness to it. The carbonation is a bit more subdued than the original AB and this works well with the mild oak flavor.

Drinkability is very good. I finished this beer much to faster than I should have at that point in the night, but I had a very easy time doing it. Definitely give this bad boy a shot.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance: Deep amber brown with a good head and lacing on the glass.

Smell: Roasted malt.

Taste: Sweet malt with an oak and roasted coffee finish. Strong hops bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy.

Drinkability: This isn't my type of beer because of the strong hops bitterness, but I could definitely see the quality of this brew in the taste and mouthfeel elements.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a deep, reddened amber color with a big creamy yellowish head that leaves some patchy lace as it drops. Aromas of dark, pungent hops, peaches, cherries, pineapple, and woody vanilla. Sugary malts and a hint of bread too. Similarly complex flavor. Sweet orange and grapefruit, caramel, and tobacco complimented by a solid rindy bitterness. Oily, leathery, slightly winey, and obviously delicious. Not overly oaked, which is a good thing. Slickly smooth, comforting mouthfeel.

Very satisfying. It's "extreme" without getting "ridiculous". I loves me some Stone and I'm so glad I can now pick this up whenever I want.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

A.-in a thick glass mug it had a very good head, a little ove a inch thick with nice retention and good lacing. it is a deep rich amber color..almost cherry sunburst in the light..very little settlement

S.-very aromatic,has a distinct oaky smell and the hops are well defined. well balanced with the malt

T.-like the smell the taste is very simular with a medium nutty and a hint of fruit aftertaste..very tastey overall

M.-@ 41* It has a playfull crisp mouthfeel. lots of bubblesand smooth going down the throat.

D.- it is one to take slower..prety good drinkability but very rich and slightly thick.

there is a definate signature taste. I think it is a very well crafted brew..i would recomend it

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

I would love to get my hands on that 3 Liter ceramic bottle with the lock up top! That would be awesome!

it pours a red amber color with a nice big brown tinted head. good lacing too. the nose is dark cherries, roasty malts, slight sour oak. the taste is oaky, dark cherries, roasted malts, bitter as hell! medium body, low smoothe carbo, a very smoothe brew. This brew makes me wanna eat oak aged babies!

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks to jtrockchalk for this one.

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date. Poured into a snifter. Thick and creamy off white head, 2 fingers deep.
The color is a bit darker then the regular AB, with a bit of hazyness to it.
Some bubbly retention, thick sticky lace.

Smells of plums, brown sugar, mellow hop aroma, sweet malt and a touch of roastyness.

Upfront the sweet malt hits my tounge, then through the middle its some carbonation, oaky roasted flavors. Hops kick in at the swallow with a good kick of pine flavor.
Finish is smokey, with more bittering hops, yet still sweet.
Creamy mouthfeel, evenly carbonated.

Excellent!

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle - Pours a cloudy reddish/brown - unappealing, not pretty to look at. Ok, I'll say it, It is ugly. Smells of deep fruits and lots of alcohol. The aroma is complex with honey and pear battling a ton of other notes all screaming to be heard. First sip is tangy/bitter - also complex. There is a whole lot going on here. The oak really makes this 7.2% ABV beer seem a ton stronger. An intriguing complex ale that is spicy, bitter, and tangy. You have my attention.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

I got this beer in a trade from traquairlover as an extra but I had tried it before I decided to hang onto it for a while. I've only been holding onto it for 5 months or so but I really think it tastes better than fresher oaked AB i've had in the past. I don't know how long traquairlover himself had this beer.

Poured from bottle into tulip glass

Pours a pretty dark ruby-brown. A large, frothy tan head on top. Head holds up for a good while.

Smells of caramel malt and citrusy hops.

Wonderful hop flavor. A bit of a grassy and grapefruit vibe. Caramel malt is more pronounced than I remember fresher bottles being. I think the hop flavor is still here but the hop bite has been subdued. The head is very creamy. I think the little bit of aging has brought out the delicious malts and oak.

Great mouthfeel. Creamy and smooth with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is high. It's a tasty beer and at 7.20 abv I could drink a few.

Every time I have had this beer it's been good but this particular bottle however old it is, is a bit more interesting to me since the hops don't quite knock me over the head as is the case with most hoppy beers these days.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

a: appears dark brown until held to the light, which shows off its great ruby red color. Head is a tan color and leaves lots of lacing

s: caramel malt with hops, citrus, slight hint of oak and fruitiness (confirmed by other reviewers as grapefruit)

t: complex, caramel malt hits first, fades into a hoppie bite with taste of grapefruit, followed by the oak.

m: nice level of carbonation, medium thickness

d: the more I drink of it, the more I want another. The taste grows on you.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Bright sherry red, a bit lighter and clearer than the original, if memory serves. The head is stalwart and the color of yellowed parchment.

Smell: The hop gang's all here - grassy, floral, and citric, with especially nice notes of rose and lavender. Malts are mostly caramelly with some peach notes and just a hint of woody spice from the oak.

Taste: Mmm... very nice, sweet, and toasty with a mildly bitter but robustly flavorful hop profile and an earthy, resinous, vaguely smoky edge of oak. More fruity and vinous than the original, and seemingly less dry - but it may only appear that way due to the subdued hops.

Mouthfeel: Dry, medium bodied, and perfectly carbonated; not too sprizy but just lively enough to carry the flavor.

Drinkability: Very interesting and tasty, and not as "arrogant" as expected.

1.92/5  rDev -54.3%

I haven't had Arrogant Bastard in years, but figured I'd try this oaked version on tap at Monk's Kettle in case my tastes have changed. Let's see...nope. Still tastes like the absurdly over-hopped Arrogant Bastard I remember. No balance at all. Just pure hops. Maybe I'll try it again a few years from now.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A lovely bottle with plenty to read decants a deep clear almost ruby red body with one of the biggest and baddest heads that stays around for quite a while leaving tons of lacing. What a wonderful look.

Smells are oak chips, caramel malt that is tinged by a fruitiness of hop character.

The taste of this beer begins fruity and sweeet and then has a hop kick near the end that rides out with plenty of spice and grapefruit flavor that isn't overly bitter.
The mouthfeel is medium with steady carbonation that doesn't fizzle out too quickly.

I would rank this high on drinkability for the style considering it is 7% and really packs alot into that abv. Rank among the highest in the extreme category, but still keeps a reasonable abv.

I haven't had the regular Arrogant Bastard, but I am a fan of the Oaked version.

Malty, dark, fruity, and complex nose. Bright citric hops. Fruity esters. Slightly sour and earthy.

Pours a dark, dark burgundy/ruby hue with a mild head.

Tart fruit and rich malt greet the palate. Dry suggestions of oak, or at least woody vanilla. A good stiff hop bitterness resides in the finish and grows and spreads seemingly without bounds to the point that it is the primary flavor. Medium-thick-to-thick body, polite yet pushy carbonation.

Sampled from a 12oz bottle. I'd like to experience it in a bigger bottle; it grew on me right up to the last sip and I want more. Someday.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

On Tap @the Blind Tiger 09-14-08

A- darker maroonish, but a full, lush, creamy-toned head, leaving lace

s-cherries, whiskey, vanilla, berries, cognac,

T- vanilla jumps up first, smothers the palate with the flavor of that sweet bean, fruit flavors join in as well, but vanilla maintains it's dominance

M- Medium mouthfeel, body, smooth, tasty

D- outstanding overall, but for some reason i enjoy the bite of the regular version of this beer better, but dont get me wrong, this one isnt bad either!

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer recently arrived in North Texas and I couldn't be more excited. Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Beautiful rich deep amber coloring, finger of head and heavy lacing. Great looking brew.

S: The oak is the predominant scent which is wonderful. The nose also picks up some of the hops as well. Rich smelling brew, gotta give it a 5. Can't imagine any better.

T & M: The standard Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorites and I enjoyed this beer as I expected. The oak definitely adds some additional complexity, especially in the finish. Perfectly balanced brew.

D: Highly drinkable, this will definitely be a stalwart in the fridge as I prefer six packs vs bombers. The standard Bastard is great but this is even better.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a pint glass. This is the last of the six-pack I bought for my birthday last year (October 1st). I've read on forums that this beer is better fresh. Now I get to see for myself.

4.5 A: Dark copper, medium brown color. Thick, creamy as hell head that leaves every spot of glass lace ridden. Head retains exceptionally well.

4.5 S: Oak wood (obviously) is the strongest aroma. Earthy, floral and herbal hops. Sweet caramel and toffee on the malt end.

4.5 T: This truly is one hell of a beer. Woody foremost, followed by mint and some citrus. The woodiness places you in a saw mill or something like that, just inhaling wood essence. Finishes with a sour/bitter combination as well as with a wood aftertaste.

4.0 M: Medium body that would be perfect with both a little more creaminess and a little more biting carbonation. Warming at the end with the alcohol content.

4.0 D: Excellent beer. I would argue that aging it does make it better for most people. The biggest difference between a fresh one and an almost year old one is the aftertaste. In the fresh OAB, the woody aftertaste is even stronger than the beer taste. I personally like that about the beer, but it decreses its drinkability. The aged one has a more subdued aftertaste which is more palatable for most people.

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle pours a dark ruby brown with creamy khaki colored head. Nice malty aroma consisting of oak, vanilla, brown sugar and chocolate malt. The mouthfeel is medium to full with decent carbonation. Malt dominates the flavor. Oak, raisin and vanilla all come to the forefront. Piney, bitter hoppiness midway. Oak resumes along with some alcohol and lingering hop bitterness.

Arrogant Bastard itself is a great beer. Oaked Arrogant Bastard is that much better.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a NB Chalice, this beer is a nice reddish-tinted brown color. It doesn't seem to have quite the same head retention as the normal bastard, but it does leave good lacing. Lots of sensuous hops in the nose, a good underlying malt, and maybe a faint oakiness... it's hard to detect over the other quite strong scents. Oakiness comes through more in the flavor, but it's not a large flavor component. It's easily as good as the ordinary version, but it doesn't seem to add much complexity or interest, to me. It does seem a tad smoother, though.

Top-notch, just like the ordinary AB, but probably not worth the 50% premium price they put on top.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A= This beer poured a dark caramel brown color, with a 2" cream colored head. Constant big carbonaton release. Lots of lacing down the glass.

S= I found aromas of soft oak, brown sugar, pie crust, and some herbal notes.

T= I tasted soft woody oak up front blended with a mild sweetness and hints of vanilla. As each sip progressed, I also detected some hop bitterness. Finish was long and dry.

MF= Medium bodied and a little creamy on the tongue. The dryness/astringency was a bit bracing at times, but still pleasant.

D= This was a very interesting beer. I apprciated the oak flavors playing against the malt sweetness and the big hop biterness. No much to complain about but I do think this beer would benefit from further aging.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Firstly let me say that I'm very envious of the BAs who've had this out of a cask.

I really don't know where to begin with this. It's just an all-round terrific beer. In the 1960s Bernard Miles used to advertise Mackeson Stout on TV with the tagline "It looks good, it tastes good, and by golly it does you good". Of course, they wouldn't be able to use the third one of those descriptors these days but I reckon a glass of Oaked AB would be fine by me on the basis of 'A little of what you fancy does you good'. Not a beer I could drink all night but certainly something I'd like to have on hand in my fridge at all times.

I'm going to need a bigger fridge.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.