Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a hazy dark, dark, dark brown with a creamy, sticky, tan head. Initial aroma is fruity and floral - notes of dark fruit, some molasses, grapes. Initial taste is pungent raisins and prunes, and an earthy, woody flavour. Initial mouthfeel is medium bodied with an astringent edge, and a soft carbonation. Bitterness is very strongly balanced initially, and explodes in the finish with a long, drying aftertaste. Take 2 brings out some coffee-like aromas and a graininess. Still very astringent in the mouth but from floral hoppiness comes through with a grapefruitiness. No question, this is a big flavourful beer, and challenging to say the least. As far as the oak goes, I like the woody flavour I guess, but could do with a little less astringency.

allergictomacros, Jan 06, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks ddddeac for this one.
Small capped bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Dark brown with multiple reddish highlights, it is capped by a nice, creamy and thick light tan head that unfortunately goes down quite fast, leaving only a thin collar but some lacing.
Aroma is pleasant, hoppy as expected, mostly pines, but it also has a caramel, malty aroma that if it does not come all the way to forefront, it stays in the back all the time providing a nice balance. There might also be some woodiness and vanilla in the background, although that is minimal.
Full bodied, it is hoppy and bitter as expected, piney again, with the same caramelized malty notes, along with some definite woodiness. Well balanced, it is a very good brew, but not fantastic. I believe aging this might improve it a bit.

brdc, Jan 05, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Being an AB fan I was curious of the oak wood chips. This was my first experience with an oaked ale.
A- dark, amber, brown thick foamy tan head that rises quikly, very thick.
S- sweet, woody, hoppy smell
T- not as hoppy as the original arogant bastard as the oak chips mellow it out. Rich flavor, reminds me of a rich hoppy amber ale.
M- rich, thick, and good
D- the only thing wrong with the drinkability is the price at 13.99 a six pack ,even though you will not be disappointed a pleaser for sure.

livedrinkbeer, Jan 04, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

I bought a single bottle of this from my favorite beer playground, knowing that I wouldn't be able to find this (or anything from Stone in my state).

While it is clearly not a Red (Irish) ale, it is the first red colored beer that I have liked. While it is an excellent beer its not quite as exciting as I had hoped for....but my expectations for a stronger taste of the wood aging may have been misplaced.

I havent tried Arrogant Bastard so I cant differentiate the oak from what it was otherwise. Not too much head from the beer, but a healthy dose of hops (while strong, hops are far toned down from Stone IPA....which is a great beer...with the less hops it is quite a lot more drinkable, which while making for pleasant drinking, quite painful at $16/six-pack where i saw it.

Overall, an excellent beer but i dont think that i would pony up the additional $10/sixpack if it was sitting next to Stone IPA on the shelf.

Beer is deceptively smooth (I'm really not noticing that its 7.2% abv, which while I am used to that, it seems to be disappearing quite quickly (so yes, i like it!....just not quite what i expected, which was a heck of a lot). And in all fairness, I may not be educated enough to distinguish wood aging unless it is quite pungent, which wouldnt necessarily be the best way of presenting said aroma/taste.

metalitool, Jan 04, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug.

A: Pours an amber body with a small head and minimal lacing. A slightly reddish undertone was noted in the color of the body.

S: A slightly floral, earthy smell. Wood was evident as well. Malts were evident

T: A nice, malty taste with a slight spiciness in the taste. There seemed to be an oak chip aftertaste that was not uninvited and helped balance the beer overall.

M: Very smooth and silky. Prett good carbonation as well.

D: Defintely a drinkable beer. Nice and smooth body with a spicy taste made it a fairly enjoyable beer. The oak taste did well to round out the malts. Definitely a good brew.

maddogruss, Jan 02, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

My 100th review!

I'll admit that I opened this bottle past its date, but only by a couple weeks.

It pours out a dark ruby brown with a finger of off-white head. Nice lacing as I drank it. Looks good.

At first I could smell the woody, barrel aromas. Some whiffs of alcohol. Mostly very sweet.

The taste disappointed me some. It was quite oakish and woody, which was stronger than I expected, and this really accentuated the bitterness at the end. It was complemented by a black licorice flavor that was OK.

In the mouth it was good - smooth. Mostly went down fine, but the bitter flavor was bothering me at the end.

MDekker, Jan 01, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Tried Stone’s IPA and liked it… had high hopes for this one with all the buzz surrounding the arrogant bastard, and to tell the truth, wasn’t disappointed… Copped a single 12oz from Gary’s in Madison for almost $3.00… The oak flavor really comes through… slightly bitter but very unique and different…. Appearance was exceptional… ruby-red to light brown with a frothy head… smell was somewhat bland – more so than I had expected for a beer of this quality and reputation, and the drinkability was limited by its hefty alcohol percentage… otherwise, an all-around outstanding brew that certainly warrants recognition… enjoyed this one… Recommended…

dsa7783, Jan 01, 2008

Pours a murky brown with reddish hues that has a lighter tan head. Nose is mild alcohol with some mild hops. Overall not the kick in the nose I would have expected. Flavor is a combination of wood and a tingling alcohol presence. Hops are definitely there in a deep way. Feel has a lot of carbonation to it and the liquid is pretty well bodied. I have to say that I distinctly remember my first time trying Arrogant Bastard and it left an impression. This seems to be a far cry from it and I want to say it is more subdued. Decent, but not as great as I would expect it to be.

RblWthACoz, Jan 01, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Aroma: Citrus hops and carmel malts. Candied grapefruits and a deep, resinous hop aroma woft out of the glass.

Appearance: Deep copper-red pour with a sticky tan cap.

Flavor: Carmel and citrus peel. Slightly metallic but blends well with the hop and malt profile. A pleasant background earthiness that I assume is from the oak. Very subtle and understated. Pleasant bready and grainy notes emerge as the beer warms. Finish is bitter, crisp, and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full bodied, slightly oily, and medium carbonation.

Overall impression: A lightly oaked, highly hopped, American strong ale (I say barleywine but I defer to the brewer). One of the better oaked beers as it adds character and does not overpower the beer. Worth a shot once but for the price, it probably won't be in my regular rotation. Still, Stone delivers yet again.

mattcrill, Dec 31, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +6%

12oz bottle poured into a duvel-type tulip.

A: Dark burgundy with a tan head.

S: Citrus hops and a bit of malt -- malt though barely noticeable.

T: Sweet, slightly caramel, smooth malt can be enjoyed with intense the hops showing up at the end. The taste of oak can be detected at the end. This brew for me appears more malty than the standard AB (if memory serves me well).

M: Smooth with a bit of carbonation. No real alcohol taste unlike the standard AB.

D: Too easy to drink. Smooth as heck and gets smoother as it warms.

I prefer this one over the regular AB. It is a great a brew and the oak only makes it more drinkable. Man, Stone keeps impressing me with its many brews.

Jedimaster1, Dec 28, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer pours a deep red brown with good head and moderate lace. The nose is more like double bastard than the original. Can still smell that classic arrogant hop smell, but also a thin creamy smell and just a hint of the oak. The taste follows the nose. Good hop flavors through the first taste. Then a creamy oaky, with slight vanilla taste in the middle. Then hop layers abound and the finish has some hop bitterness, but nothing like arrogant bastard. I the oak hit this bastard over the head. Nowhere near as savage as the original, but in my opinion better. The abv is very well hidden, and the oak adds a nice new layer of flavor. Pick it up and age a few for a year or two. goodness. go stone.

AKBelgianBeast, Dec 28, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a muddy brown color with very little head, probably still too cold.

Aromas of caramel, citrus, ripe orange, toasted bread, hints of wood and sweet fruits. I also pick up some earthy notes and flower petals.

Taste of wood and vanilla upfront with a great combination of caramel and bread. A bit of citrus hops and some more earthy flavors. Dates, figs, prunes and a bit of smoke as well.

Well carbonated and pretty easy to drink but it's not a type of beer I would drink all night, but great on a cold day/night.

seaoflament, Dec 27, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

Dark brown (tea colored when you hold it to light) not a lot of head, modest lacing. Aroma is woody grapefruit. Tastes hoppy with toasted caramel malt. The oak really comes through in the taste, I don’t think it improves on regular Arrogant Bastard without oak. The oak gives it an interesting new twist but Arrogant Bastard is already a damn good beer that is hard to improve on. That said I enjoyed drinking this beer. The flavor was interesting and complex with a nice bitter finish. The mouthfeel was full, carbonation was a little light. I probably won't drink this again since the Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard are better.

CDBeerDisappear, Dec 21, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from the bottle to a deep amber-orange, with a nice fluffy light tan head that lingered well and left good lacing. Nose was a complex mix of malty sweet oak and some citrus hops, with a hint of alcohol sneaking in late in the glass. Mouthfeel was tingly and the taste leaned more to the malt side than the hops. Finish was long and pleasant, but while this was a good beer, I’m much more a fan of the non-oaked, hop dominant version of this beer.

kimcgolf, Dec 21, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -14.3%

Aroma: Caramel, citrus, coconut, vanilla.

Looks: Dark reddish-brown. Average sized off-white head with poor head retention. Some lace was left behind, but not much.

Taste: A little bit of smokiness, pine, coconut, malty sweetness, citrus. Alcohol is tasted and felt (hot). It has a long bitter finish. Layers of flavours. It is complex & I am having a bit of trouble accurately describing it in further detail.

Mouthfeel: Fine carbonation, in lower than average volumes. Medium bodied.

Overall, it's a great Beer, but I have my suspicions that this is not just the regular Arrogant Bastard Ale that has been aged with oak chips, but that they tweaked the recipe a smidge first.

BrewSomerville, Dec 19, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -19%

nice-looking head. deep red color

i think i smell NW hops, but just maybe. i don't smell much evidence of the oak, however

the oak comes across strongly in the flavor. it's a woodiness that is hard to ignore. robust malt profile, featuring that brown-sugar-and-port-and-butterscotch sweetness that stone is so good at. bitter

not very dynamic, not that i didn't see that coming

bruachan, Dec 19, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

This has to be one of the great american beers. Not the ones with the commercials showing their medals for best american pale yellow light with no head pilsner, but real beers.

Color is a beautiful red/brown haze with a wonderful tan head that didn't fade and laced as I drank it down.

The aroma is probably the most earthly I can remember, with some piny hops, and a hint spicy citrus. It really reminded me of walking with the woods.

The taste is a wonderfully balanced molasses burning on a camp fire, sprinkled with hops and finishing with just the slightest hint of alchohol.

High alchohol, so be careful, but 3 or 4 shouldn't be too much trouble.

Overall, an excellent/superior beer that I highly recommend.

Prosit!

HotterThanHell, Dec 18, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

This oaked ASA pours a really atractive woody, ruby cedar with a tight kakai head. The foam holds well and leaves some good sagging lace.
A really impressive looking beer. The appearance might even create the illusion of, or cause me to perceive more of that oak character. Beats me, but I did seem pick up a lot more of it than than others I sampled it with. Mainly I think, because many people are searching for that sometimes harsher bourbon barrel aged flavor. But that is nowhere to be found in this brew (and that is certainly not a bad thing).

The aroma is largely of caramel malt and some very nice spicy hops. There is a bit of an oak related vanilla note as well. Burnt sugar and molasses provide a great deal of sweetness. The oak character is more earthy and rustic than bourbon barrel. Attractive and pungent nonetheless.

Initially there is earthy burnt caramel malt and lots of those deep, piny, hops. Some citrus is detectable too. Boisterous but not harsh. A hint of faint smoke that could probably be mistaken for some really heavily caramelized/burnt sugar. Piny with a raw sweetness. Very complex and not at all harsh. The flavors blend seamlessly.

Medium bodied with a semi-dry finish. The carbonation is middle-of-the-road as well and brightens the whole deal up a bit. The flavor and texture really seem to linger on the tongue. Really well crafted and a very interesting adaptation of the style.

letsgopens, Dec 16, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a rather dark, slightly hazy, amber-copper color. Nice dense head, amber-white colored, leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell: Has a somewhat complex aroma ranging from florals to strong hops.

Taste: Lots of hoppy citrus and pine, but balanced with an earthy flavor that I presume comes with the oak. Aftertaste is light grapefruit and more of the earthy flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation is quite light, but still provides an enjoyable subdued tingly feel.

Drinkability: Not a good session beer due to the strength of flavor and alcohol, but nevertheless quite drinkable. Take it slow...

Though I honestly can't taste the oak in here, I can definitely tell that this is a variation of the regular Arrogant Bastard ale. Though I've grown to enjoy the AB in the past couple years (from initially disliking it), I think that this is superior due to the balancing out of strong flavors with others in order to create a complex (but not overly so) beer. Highly recommended.

mithrascruor, Dec 16, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

A- Pours a deep reddish mahogany, with a finger of fluffy white head that leaves decent spidery lacing on the glass.

S- Strong smells of pine, carmel, pineapple. There's also a taste in this beer I can't identify. Maybe it's something to do with the oak, but I think I would recognize that. Hmm...

T- I'm not detecting a lot of oakiness in this beer. It is however, a very intense flavor. There's a piney syrupy hop flavor throughout, accompanied heartily by a sweet carmel malt flavor. Some slight alcohol in the aftertaste, but nothing too overpowering.

M- Syrupy, as expected, but what isn't expected is the good level of carbonation. Nice.

D- A delicious beer, but not worth the incredible build up that I gave it. I need to taste the normal AB again to better compare, but for now I'd say I might as well just get that and save the money.

zdk9, Dec 14, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

I have been drinking standard issue AB for many moons and find it to be a very well balanced and drinkable ale. The oaked version is a cut below in my opinion. Very attractive burnt orange hues. I expected oak in the nose but didn't really find any. The blast of white grapefruit pith is ever present from start to long after finish. Something in this beer leaves an unpleasant lingering sourness that I don't find in the regular AB. It's still very good stuff though, being a Bastard at heart.

korndog, Dec 14, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

3L bomber (2004 version) at our Septoberfest party. The beer is cloudy dark reddish-brown color with a thick tan head that has good retention. Patches of lacing. Woody, citrusy hops aroma with lots of malt. Full-bodied with a subtle oak character which infuses the already-tasty Arrogant Bastard with an interesting new dimension. Flavors of malt, fruit and piney hops are all present. Hops become steadily more pronounced. The finish is hoppy and malty with a lingering citrus and apricot aftertaste. Really good.

Dogbrick, Dec 13, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Had this on tap. Deep, deep red with a little bit of froth on the top - no real head per se. Smells boldly of citrus and oily hops. Very complex taste. Everything the aroma promises and then some. Woody notes and hints of pine in addition to the citrus and hops. I think I discover something new about it every time I have this. Obviously this is a lot like Arrogant Bastard, but still wholly unique. It seems a little more confident, while Arrogant Bastard acts like it's got something to prove (though it proves itself with flying colors, to be sure). Will definitely have this again if it's on tap. Heck, for special occasions, I may even fork over the big bucks and pick up a six pack.

atrus138, Dec 13, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale pours a deep red brown with a nice yellowish head that lingers and leaves some nice lacing down the glass. The aroma is sweet dark and fruity malts, with an almost vinous character. The flavor is dry malts at first, with hints of bittersweet chocolate. The flavor is quickly dominated by a strong hop bitterness pungent grapefruit and some pine. I think the oak has cut down a bit on the sweetness of the beer, making it seem a bit dryer, but it doesn't seem to be an overpowering flavor.

ericj551, Dec 13, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Sometimes fermented drinks contain aromas or flavors that are very distinctively suggestive of something specific (in contrast to the ubiquitous "descriptors" imposed on them by imaginative reviewers!)

This beer smells like Pepto Bismol. I suspect this is a phenomenon of some kind of interference pattern with the last beer I drank (the perfect Hook Norton Twelve Days.) Because within a few minutes it begins to smell more like candycane. Of course, it also smells like brown bread and whisky and caramel.

Nice glossy sweet attack of caramel and butter gives way evenly to fairly intense resiny bitterness. Hard cinnamon candy flavored hops, with lemon and pepper. Pasteurized apple juice sweetner with dried marshmallow. Wood flavors are subdued but serve to structure the large volume of texture and sweetness. The finish is polished and relentlessly bitter.

putnam, Dec 11, 2007
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.