Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a pint glass, pours a rust color with brown tint to it and a nice fluffy head that leaves nice thick lace on the glass. Smell is a hoppy resin, biscuit and also a bit of caramel in the nose, also nice notes of vanilla and wood. Taste is very sweet with a nice sweet hop finish, overall I can't detect much of the oak in this one, but I can detect the roasted malty character of this brew. Overall this is another awesome offering from Stone, I can't wait till I can purchase this in Florida, I am hearing very soon.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Dark brown, opaque delicious looking. Aggressive pour gave almost 3 fingers of thick tan head, which strangely reminded me of swiss cheese due to some large bubbles

S - Deep woody, vanilla notes along with the expected citrus and pine fragrance. It smells absolutely amazing

T - All of the above. Plus, a fantastic mouth coating bitterness to go along with all that sweetness. This beer is really well balanced.

M - Creamy, medium-heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is spot on.

D - While I really REALLY love this beer. I can't drink too many of these. I think it's best savored slowly and one at a time.

This is a supremely well crafted beer.
Can't Recommend this enough

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

P: Presented in 12 oz., brown bottle and poured into a Hennepin flute.

A: Pours a dark tobacco amber with glints of red ruby, and a generous two-finger head with gobs of sticky lacing.

S: Citrus hops, lime, mint, pineapple, brown sugar and honey.

T: Rich, malty and sweet upfront, followed by a bracingly bitter middle. Complex taste profile with big notes of pineapple, mint, lime and brown sugar. Subtle hints of earthy wood, biscuit and alcohol lay low in the background. Aggressively hopped, yet exceptionally smooth and well-balanced. Finishes dry and somewhat sweet.

M: Full-bodied and creamy with moderate carbonation.

D: Well-crafted and much preferred to the non-oaked variety. Deceptively drinkable considering the high ABV.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got this as a freebie from a fellow (but competitor) liquor store clerk and friend. I was floored when I saw it lurking in the back of the cooler and was even more excited when he decided to hand it over at no cost.

The beer poured a gorgeous ruby with a tan head. The lacing was prevalent throughout. As for the flavor, just imagine the regular Arrogant Bastard, but with a heaping helping of oak. This stuff is phenomenal. The balance struck between big citrusy hops and rich malt is complimented greatly by the addition of oak. I wasn't expecting any alcohol flavor, and in fact I found none. This isn't much of a surprise at 7.2%, but the folks at Stone do a great job masking the alcohol in their higher abv beers nonetheless.

The smell is once again dominated by the oak with no hint of alcohol to be found by my estimation, though the citrus notes of the hops poke their way through.

By my count, there should still be four more of these suckers at the store, and if I have it my way, at least one more will be mine. I can't wait to have it again. Great beer.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Deep amber color with a somewhat lumpy, inconsistent head. Aromas of pine and fruit cocktail. The taste is very good, toasty caramel layered over with pine, fruity, and oak notes. Creamy rich body. A lot of fruitiness on the finish with more woody notes coming through late. Distinctive without being outrageous. Recommended.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

I was really looking forward to drinking this beer, especially after seeing all of the reviews. I was disappointed.

It is a nice red color with a puffy white head that laces all the way down the glass. It smells great, the oak really comes through but it also smells very sweet.

The taste in one word.... boozy. This beer tastes more like 9.5% than 7.2%. Don't get me wrong I like strong beers with an alcohol kick occasionally but this is not boozy in a good way. Strong alcohol bite, very subtle smokiness, strong, sweet malts, not too hoppy. Not very smooth.

It is very oily and thick beer and stays with you. Strong aftertaste that isn't great.

All in all I may drink this again, but I won't pay for it. I hear it is much better on tap and I may be persuaded to try it on draft but the bottle was just mediocre.

I don't know why these guys of the Arrogant line are so Arrogant, I've never had a beer of this line that was anything better than okay.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured from the bottle, into a pub glass.

A nice rich brown, with fluffy kaki head! Very pretty beer!

Smell, to be expected, there was some Oak character in there, not as much as I would have expected, I had to search for it. Has a very sweet smell, almost like candy. Had some real bourbon/cognac quality to it. Very complex nose.

Taste was very good. Malty, with some hops to come in after. Had some fruity, citrus qualities, and again, you can taste a hint of woody oak.

A drinkable beer, but in low quantities, not one I would want more then one or two of.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Special thanks to my boy, hurleymanvw, for giving me this brew after our tasting. Since we are going to have Stone here in GA soon, I figure it's time to drink this bad boy.

A- Deep, dark brown with mahogony and almond colors thrown in as highlights. No head to speak of; very oily looking, not much carbonation or 'sparkle' to this one yet.

S- Sweet from the malt to the tune of molasses and brown sugar but also hoppy and fruity. The alcohol warms you in the chest and the vanilla and oak round out the nose. Very complex and not overpowering; balanced but deep.

T- Wow, sweet up front but instantly after that, the hops hit you with a earthy and rich taste. The oak is thrown in mostly 3/4 of the way through and enhances the bitterness a little more and also adds a vanilla-like presence. It definitely puts a spin on things. The alcohol is subtle, but detectable in the final taste. Again, very complex but nothing over the top. All flavors meld together nice and evenly.

M- Oily and medium. Medium carbonation.

D- For the drink and the experience, it is very nice. A session beer it is not. I like it and will make it a staple in my fridge if we get this offering in my area.

Cold 12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Slightly red in the glass when held up to the light. Beer pours a dark amber brown with a medium dark tan head that quickly falls.

Aroma is VERY nice: toasty caramel, very sweet, slightly nutty. First sip is very strong. Alcohol. Blunt and bitter. Carbonation is up front but as the taste lingers it becomes a little bit more complex, earthy. The aftertaste is, as expected, the added oak for this variety.

It's got a not-quite-IPA bitterness, along with a huge malt profile. I'm not sure they're really going for balance here, but they're not too far off. But it's not a great beer, it's just strong.

A pricey 6-pack. When will Stone make an arrogant bastard English style mild ale? Huh? I didn't realize English Mild was too American-Mass-Market for them. Or maybe their palette is not sophisticated enough.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Crimson hues with a light tan head. Would like to see more lacing and retention. Aroma consists of spicy hops, vanilla, malt and oak. The taste is hoppy to the extent of being a little too bitter for my liking. The aftertaste is also too acidic and is actually giving me some wicked acid reflux. Oak and vanilla can also be found in the flavor, but are almost silenced by the bitterness. The mouthfeel is the best part of this entirely cocky beer. Characterized by a smooth creaminess and perfect carbonation. However, I found the bitterness and astringency of this one to be a little overpowering, thus limiting the drinkability. I personally prefer regular AB.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz single - one of those beers i have always wanted to try but never wanted to buy a 6 pack of.

appearance: poured into a snifter- its beauty is apparent right away - dark garnet body with a huge creamy beige head thats fluffyness remains strong throughout and laces the entire rim of the snifter - NICE!

smell: lovely sweet cherries, cognac, vanilla, big time oak chips, white chocolate...just tons of complexity here

taste: In my opinion, this knocks the socks off the standard arrogant bastard, which i dont seem to enjoy as much as i used to. The flavor profile is driven off the jagged oak presence that leaves behind traces of vanilla bean and white chocolate before the bitter hopped out core is reached. There is some light booze but the resiny hops steal the show after the initial oak blast.

mouthfeel: fairly smooth, bitter hop afterbite

drinkability: high

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The oak chips are really noticeable, even more so than I thought and definitely adds a different element to the beer, although AB itself is one damn fine beer. Hazy deep amber color with a nice tan head with lacing. Aroma is oak, vanilla, fruit (cherries?) and roasted malt and this part is more enjoyable than the original. I get the wood chips right away in the flavor with some smoky malts, a little sweet and tart with a dry hop finish. Seems perhaps a bit more mellow than the original AB which is probably the aging. I may prefer the standard AB, which is a little more in your face but they are both excellent and very well done.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

On tap at Frisco's the other day. Have had this beer on a number of occasions previously, but really enjoyed it last night.

The beer pours a dark, rootbeer amber color with very good head retention and lacing. The nose is fairly complex and attractive, consisting of some nice citrus from hops, intermingled with vanilla, honey and butter from the oak aging. The oak aging really seems to tame some of the hoppiness I normally get from regular arrogant bastard. The flavors on the palate replicate the nose, and the oak aging gives this beer a very long, smooth mouthfeel. The beer finishes well, with the Oak cutting down on the bitterness a bit. Abv. is pretty well disguised, though I can't imagine downing more then one or two of these at a sitting.

A nice beer from Stone...

Pours a deep amber orange color with a big beige head that remains for the entire beer. Nice lacing. The aroma is of wood, tropic fruits, citris and just a hint of oak. The flavor is very floral, malty, piney and oak. Medium body, average carbonation. Long dry woody finish.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Comes in a killer brown bottle with the infamous Stone gargoyle embossed on the front. Pours a chill hazed brown with a thick, two finger head and good lacing.

Intense smell emanating from the glass. Heavy toasty malt contrasted by floral and grapefruit hops.

Taste is phenomenal. The malt comes in first but is quickly knocked back by the crazy hop bitterness. Floral notes, grapefruit, wood, vanilla, and lemon zest are all tied together superbly. Finishes very bitter, but in a good way. A very good way.

The oak aging smoothes this monster out, blends the flavors and adds new ones. Awesome brew. Superior to the regular Bastard, which is one of my favorites.

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%

Dark, reddish and cloudy. Looks a slight bit thick coming out of the bottle. About a finger's worth of creamy off white head. Retention is lower than I expected, but plenty of lacing. I smell mostly caramel and alcohol. A little bit of oak but I'm not sure if that's placebo effect.

I wonder if maybe this has gone bad. It HAS been sitting in the back of my fridge for at least a few months. I bought a six pack a while back and kept one to review, but only got around to it now. Carbonation is a lot less than I remember, but that may be due to poor memory. I don't taste the oak at all. Alcohol warmth and a good bit of bitterness. I taste slight caramel, but I have to really concentrate to find it. Cloves come through as well.

On second thought, I don't think it has gone bad, I just think it has been a long time since I've had it or regular Bastard. Moderate thickness. Carbonation doesn't come through well unless I hold it in my mouth. I could have a couple, but it's not what I would choose to drink often. I'm a little disappointed. It's not as good as I remember, and for the price, I would buy this very sparingly.

I feel bad not giving this beer a higher rating. Stone has consistently been one of my favorites, but I think my tastes are leaning toward different styles now.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

So it's my 34th birthday today. Not exactly old, not exactly young. Where do I fit in? What is my place in the universe? What is the meaning of life? What should...ok enough bullshit. Leave contemplating the universe to Aristotle. I'm gonna contemplate what beers I should have today. After much thought, I decide to go with beers I haven't tried yet: Oaked Arrogant Bastard with my breakfast, Stone Imperial Russian Stout with lunch, and AleSmith Speedway Stout with dinner. Sounds like a good day to me!

Poured this puppy into a snifter so I can better sniff'er.

Looks like the color of the bottle but shows nice ruby hues in the light. Beautiful frothy head in the glass.

Smells like arrogant bastard.

Just had the arrogant bastard last night. I think this tastes slightly different, but I can't put my finger on it. I would like to claim I taste the oak, but I don't. There is a bitter alcohol warmth at the end. Nice.

Guess I'm far far too uncultured to notice a huge difference. Still a great beer and an excellent birthday morning celebratory drink.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Dark bottle with "Arrogant Bastard" written in black on a gold cap. Stone has about a half dozen different caps that I have seen. Check plus awarded for originality, check minus for not having brew-specific caps.

Appearance is a rich brown, with a thin, sandy-colored head. Vanishes quickly leaving a cap that stays throughout the duration, but leaves little lacing.

Aroma reminds me of camping with pine scent especially strong, fruitiness (berries specifically), and some spiciness.

Mouthfeel is thick, with good carbonation. A little slick and oily which brings the hop character to mind. Great mouthfeel on this one.

Taste is hoppy with a hint of citrus, specifically orange. Spices, some nuttiness. The oak is barely discernable to my untrained palate. Finishes with some good hop flavor. I don't know much about hops but I know that this beer uses them very well, balancing the hop bitterness with sweetness.

Overall this is a good beer. I was disappointed by the lack of (or my perceived lack of) oak taste and aroma. Drinkability is average, but then again I am not a huge hop lover so for those who are or who don't mind them it may be higher. Recommended!

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Solid one finger sand colored head. Great lacing that bands to my glass and great retention too. Appealing color of hazy amber with orange highlights. Fantastic aroma dominated by floral hops, grapefruit and some malts underneath. Deeply complex and yet drinkable. Malt flavor is forward, then hop bitterness and finally an oak finish. Medium/light carbonation. Exceptionally smooth with a great mouthfeel. Top notch brew in every way and maybe even better than the original (it is slightly more enigmatic). Continues to develop as it warms and a must-try for all beer aficionados.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours Reddish brown with a decent sized head and a creamy looking lace.
The aroma was of herbal hops and fruits.
The taste was just sensational. Herbal,fruits then some mild bitterness with the citrus /wood notes resting in perfect balance.Some alcohol,but not much.
The feel was smooth,crisp and creamy. Mild carbonation and a medium body.

Notes: A spectacular brew. I loved the Arrogant Bastard,but if given the choice Oak Bastard will always get my vote. Simply a different brew,and something I can brag about having tried.
Whenever I find this I will buy this!

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

A- deep red, almost blood red.
S- smells of hops and spices gives it fruity smell, enjoyable wiff.
t- taste is full bodied, with a nice bitter taste , fruityness is very much there.
M- becomes more ipa like after a few seconds
D- pretty easy to drink.

a very good beer.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

I've aged this beer for about 3 months or so.

A- A sexy brown/reddish beer with a nice one finger width head. The head itself has large and small bubbles and is quite thick.

S- Wonderful hop aroma comes through quite a bit. But as a hop smell goes the oak smell also comes though and mellows out the hops in a great way.

T- Wow this is a superb beer! There is a wonderful hop taste that blends into the oak taste. It is almost buttery! Man this beer is so smooth. You take an already great beer like the Arrogant Bastard and age it in oak, wow, just an amazing combination.

M- Feels great in the mouth.

D- Yes please!

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Lovely rich orangey color with nice head that laces. The aroma is of oak and a touch of malt and hops. Taste is actually pretty good but a bit strange as it's almost as if you're eating some oak wood - which is why it's labeled as Oaked. In any case, excellent flavor profile with the addition of oak flavor.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clear, not bitter (surprisingly), and clean. Carbonated excellently with a touch of bitterness from the hops and the alcohol doesn't burn too much.

Drinkability is quite low due to the high ABV. I would definitely search this beer out again though but it's not high up on my list as I wouldn't be able to drink anything else for the night after one of these.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

12 ounce poured into a pint.

A - Pours a deep red with moderate head that quickly settled to 1/8th inch. Good lacing to the end.

S - Oak, citrus from the hops.

T - Hoppy, slightly bitter. The oak mellows it just a bit. Slight alcohol warmth.

M - Creamy, Medium carbonation.

D - Alcohol is well hidden.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Caramelish brown / burnt orange color with a small amount of head when poured into the chalice.

Smells of hops, caramel, fruit, vinegar.

Very bitter and hoppy but much more balanced than IPAs. Maybe my palate is not experienced enough.. but I don't notice any oak.

Alcohol is masked very well and I could have a few of these without flinching.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.