Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

3L bomber (2004 version) at our Septoberfest party. The beer is cloudy dark reddish-brown color with a thick tan head that has good retention. Patches of lacing. Woody, citrusy hops aroma with lots of malt. Full-bodied with a subtle oak character which infuses the already-tasty Arrogant Bastard with an interesting new dimension. Flavors of malt, fruit and piney hops are all present. Hops become steadily more pronounced. The finish is hoppy and malty with a lingering citrus and apricot aftertaste. Really good.

Dogbrick, Dec 13, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Had this on tap. Deep, deep red with a little bit of froth on the top - no real head per se. Smells boldly of citrus and oily hops. Very complex taste. Everything the aroma promises and then some. Woody notes and hints of pine in addition to the citrus and hops. I think I discover something new about it every time I have this. Obviously this is a lot like Arrogant Bastard, but still wholly unique. It seems a little more confident, while Arrogant Bastard acts like it's got something to prove (though it proves itself with flying colors, to be sure). Will definitely have this again if it's on tap. Heck, for special occasions, I may even fork over the big bucks and pick up a six pack.

atrus138, Dec 13, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale pours a deep red brown with a nice yellowish head that lingers and leaves some nice lacing down the glass. The aroma is sweet dark and fruity malts, with an almost vinous character. The flavor is dry malts at first, with hints of bittersweet chocolate. The flavor is quickly dominated by a strong hop bitterness pungent grapefruit and some pine. I think the oak has cut down a bit on the sweetness of the beer, making it seem a bit dryer, but it doesn't seem to be an overpowering flavor.

ericj551, Dec 13, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

Sometimes fermented drinks contain aromas or flavors that are very distinctively suggestive of something specific (in contrast to the ubiquitous "descriptors" imposed on them by imaginative reviewers!)

This beer smells like Pepto Bismol. I suspect this is a phenomenon of some kind of interference pattern with the last beer I drank (the perfect Hook Norton Twelve Days.) Because within a few minutes it begins to smell more like candycane. Of course, it also smells like brown bread and whisky and caramel.

Nice glossy sweet attack of caramel and butter gives way evenly to fairly intense resiny bitterness. Hard cinnamon candy flavored hops, with lemon and pepper. Pasteurized apple juice sweetner with dried marshmallow. Wood flavors are subdued but serve to structure the large volume of texture and sweetness. The finish is polished and relentlessly bitter.

putnam, Dec 11, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a dark ruby color with an off white head that dissipates quickly to lace on the sides of the glass. The smell is an odd mix of hops, pine, and grapefruit. The taste is of grapefruit and pine with a little beer in there too. I couldn't drink to many of these, in fact I like the non oak version much better. It was nice to try, but not one of my favorites.

johnnnniee, Dec 09, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Wow, I never thought I'd come across a 12oz bottle of this beer in Vermont. Good for Stone. I love Arrogant Bastard Ale, but this beer makes "Oaked" into a dirty word. The oak coloring really throws off an otherwise great beer. Hey, it's still a great beer even though it's been oaked.

scottum, Dec 07, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz. bottle: This one pours a reddish mahogany brown color, with a bit of a light brown head on it. It leaves a small amount of lacing. The aroma is an interesting mix of oak and pine. Perhaps a bit of caramel in there also. The flavor is interesting. The oakiness is definitely up front. It is a complex taste. A bit of piney bitterness on top, with some of the sweetness hitting you later.

Boto, Dec 07, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

12oz bottle poured to my Samuel Smith Imperial pint glass.
Copper color with some red hues and a shade of orange marmalade around the edges with the light.
Aroma-boozy, not a pure oak aroma but a barrell or bourbon aroma is there. As it warms, that insane Stone hop aroma comes through and ther is an essence of pine rosin.
Mouthfeel-immediate hop bitterness, very astringent and medicinal. I have not had many oaked beers but this carries one hell of an edgy taste. Something not quite hoppy is in there competing for supreme bitterness on the palate. A froth releases a very minute malty sweetness. Finishes with a medicinal bitterness that lingers. I love AB and this has another aggressive bitter edge that just exudes all that is Stone. This brew backs up every word that is printed on the AB bottles- YES! I am worthy. Very well done but for me only good as a one-timer every once in a while.

ByTor2112, Dec 07, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Got this as part of a shipment from South Bay Drugs. Thanks Joey.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into an AB glass.

Appearance - Murky translucent honey brown/mahogany. It produced a 1 1/2 finger head that slowly dissipated to a thin crown. Left behind a little bit of lacing.

Smell - It smells more subdued than the normal AB. The vanilla and oak notes compete with the piney hop scents for dominance. There is a slight sweetness to the scent that is reminiscent of burnt caramel or toffee.

Taste - It tastes very similar to the normal AB, just with oaky vanilla and woody tones. The deep, almost roasty, caramel-like malts intermingle very well with the vanilla tones from the oak at the beginning of the flavor, and the piney hops round out the flavor with a bitter oaky finish. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. The carbonation level is a little low for my tastes. The prickly sensations on the tongue start strong as it touches the tip of the tongue and then die off completely by the time it reaches the throat. It has a good mouthfeel, just not enough carbonation IMO.

Drinkability - This is amazingly easy to drink. It isn't quite as harsh as the normal AB - the oak flavors smooth off the harsh edges. I love the original AB, but if Stone sold this stuff in Texas, I could easily see myself reaching for this one over the original AB the majority of the time. Very tasty stuff.

Stone is awesome.

MiguelMandingo, Dec 05, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

A- Pours nicely, dark deep opaque red. Finishes with a good two finger rich brown head that laces and sticks to the glass.

S- Kinda dissappointed on the smell. Not a whole lot to it. Strong hops flavor that dominates all others.

T- Good taste, rich, with some complex hops taste. A light flavor of oak adds very well to the taste.

M- Good mouthfeel, thick for an ale, but enjoyable. Starts off with a heavy feel, smooth on the tongue and finishes leaving a slight bite at the end.

D- Good drinkablitiy. The bite on the back end and the weight of the beer makes it a little more difficult to make into a session beer but I'd drink it again.

DackAchan, Dec 04, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Brilliant ruby. Thick beige head that doesn't last long but can be amply revived. Nice blotchy lace.

Smells sweet, rich, complex. Dark caramelized malt, brown sugar, black currant, wood, vanilla, solvent, brown apple, rye whiskey. Hints of leather, banana oil and toasted almond. Cohesive and good.

Well balanced taste of pronounced solventy and fruity esters; sweet dark malts; savory dry wood, leather, rye whiskey, nuts; earthy, vegetal hop bitterness like grilled radicchio. Finishes dry and bitter, with lingering wood and esters.

Tasty and interesting stuff, and quite different from the normal version.

Beerzebub, Dec 04, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

From notes taken 12/02/07.

12 oz brown screen-painted bottle. Gargoyle. Oaked. Enjoy by 10/31/07. Since it's loaded with hops and alcohol, which are essentially preservatives, I'm not worried. I shall decant to a Brandy glass.

Pours cloudy brown with ruby highlights. Adorned with a tightly beaded creamy head that laces well. A soft aroma of American hops and, of course, oak. It's not as in-your-face as it is with the unoaked Bastard.

Alike on the tongue, we have a smoother, more mature Bastard. Yes, there's a big hoppy bite but it's deeply ingrained into the matrix of an oak barrel. The hops don't linger as long either. In their stead is a woody, earthy aftertaste.

edskirk3, Dec 04, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a deep brownish amber with an off white head. Decent retention and some lacing down the glass. Smell is pretty subtle and not easy to pick much up from. Citrus hops and some sweet malt are evident. Taste is much bigger than the smell was. Nice citrus hops and caramel malt backbone. The oak is apparent in the finish and does a great job of rounding this brew off. I've had the regular and this does seem more balanced with the oak taking away some of the bitterness. Mouthfeel is about medium and very nice. Super smooth is an understatement. I could drink a few of these no problem but one at a time seems about right. Overall better than I expected and I'd surely have it again.

Thanks for the extra, NCSUdo!

ncvbc, Dec 01, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

A slight disappointment. I figured the oaking factor would start with AB as a baseline and add a great deal of taste and depth. Not necessarily so. Yes, slightly more vanilla scents and a bit more of a chocolate and roasted malt undertone than AB, but not hugely noticeable. Bottom line: If you're a fan of AB, you'll like this one as well. Not much more, and prob not enough to justify the added cost of this over regular ol' dependable AB.

bjoyce12, Nov 30, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Pours a slightly hazy, deep copper brown color with one finger of off-white head.

S - Wow -- fantastic aroma. A sweet, malty scent with fresh fruit characteristics. Also present are some piney citrusy hops, but that sweet malt dominates. A definite oaky scent here.

T - When that oaky scent turns into a flavor it makes a beautifully round beer. The malts still dominate this flavor early with a definite vanilla flavor. To round out the beer, the bittering hops are piney and citrusy, but not over the top. Very well balanced beer.

M- Light carbonation with a moderately heavy body. A very round feel to this beer. Finishes dry.

D- Fantastically drinkable and sessionable beer.

AlephNull, Nov 27, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

This was actually on tap at the Moan and Dove. It poured with a heavy head and had a very, very dark appearance. It did, however, have some amber seen when you looked through it in light. The Oaked Arrogant Bastard had a very strong malty aroma and was wicked sweet in caramel-like flavors. It had a medium body and was really, really thick. Very desert-like. That oak-aging worked wonders for a Stone classic. Highly recommended

fitzy84, Nov 26, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

A: A hazy, rusty reddish-brown. A thick tan head, slowly dissolving and plenty of lacing.

S: The oak scent is very prominent atop some molasses-like sweetness.

T: Rich, roasted and well balanced. Plenty of sweetness along with the bite of the oak. An aggressive hop finish makes this beer very well rounded.

MF: Very low carbonation and thus smooth going down, but the oak and the hops give this a sharp bite as well. Thick and chewy.

D: I think this is better than the original-the oak really balances with the sweetness. Easy to drink despite the high alcohol. Another creative brew by Stone that works really well. Nice to see this in 12 oz bottles and year-round.

rxdrewthejew, Nov 26, 2007

Poured to Tulip best before date 12/25/07.

Wonderful cherry color with a monster creamy head that wont go away; looks like frosting on top.

First smell give me great hops with a background of the rough woodsy oak that this has been aged in. A lot more to this, some of the fruity esters from the yeast coming through.

Taste is much more mellow than the original AB, smoothed out with a lot less bitter and more warmth. The bitter is still very apparent but without the resiny quality - more of a citrus bitter. The wood is apparent but not overwhelmingly so. Aftertaste is as strong as the original and reminiscent of the Double.

Great beer here and would be even better after a bit in the cellar.

Andbrew, Nov 25, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

2007 release 12oz. bought at the Boise Coop for $2.50/bottle. Enjoyed in a wine glass while listening to Stormshadow's "Synthesis".

Deep amber/copper pour with a 3/4 inch long lasting lt. tan head that says smell me from here. Good lacing that trails for 45 minutes plus.

Big bitter smell and pine/citrus polished off with freshly sanded wood ... toasted malts and fresh biscuits.

Taste is BIG. BITTER with enough sweetness to balance nicely. There is a looong finish here. Creamy cocoa, vanilla, harsh pine needles and grapefruit bitterness, just simply a thick thick thick palate ... sooo many things going on here ... when said and done, a dry piney/lip smacking woodiness (sp?) sticks around for ages.

For as much as I love the Stone beers, the AB and the OAB have never really done it for me, but I am not going to let my tastes alter the overall review. I know the "fizzy yellow beer" mantra, but there is something I just can't get into .... A brewing buddy says I can't stand Chinook hops .... I have little idea if there are any Chinook in here, but I just can't put my fiinger on my dislikes... that being said, I will continue to buy and try the OAB just to prove my palate wrong ... Damn Stone ... Love you guys.

JohnGalt1, Nov 25, 2007

2008 Vintage

Pours a cloudy dark amber color, some carbonation, not much of a head, some islands and sticky lacing around the glass. The nose is of sweet malts, a slight woodsy tone, hops, and caramel. The taste is malty and slightly bitter in the tongue, the finish is quite dry, nice undertone of caramel. Alcohol is hidden very well. Medium body, well rounded brew. Very drinkable, still an awesome brew, would still recommed if you can find it.

2007 Vintage

2006 Vintage

12oz. Bottle from Foxman and BuckEyeNation.
Been sitting on this one for about a year.

Wasatch, Nov 22, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

12 oz. bottle in a snifter.

A - Dark ruby red color with a light brown head.

S - Slight hints of wood, also hints of

T - Wow, really smooth initially then the after taste is full of woodsy flavor

M - Medium to full body, flavor lingers

D - Great beer, this beer has really strong flavors with a good after taste. It is highly drinkable.

jeffmonarch, Nov 22, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured a nice tawny amber, almost brown.
head from the pour was immense, thick creamy off white.
Lace was also thick...clinging to the side of the glass through the whole drinking experience.
Taste was of strong malts and hoppiness...caramel and biscuit maybe came to mind.
Good mouthfeel with a bitterness from the hops that lingered long past the swallow.

dmamiano, Nov 21, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

I've never really cared that much for the original Arrogant Bastard. It's okay, and in a style that seems to be up my alley (I love hops, bitterness, etc.), but I always thought the brewers lived up to their hype and the beer was a dare to try something just overdone.

I got this six-pack (and another) from a friend of my wife for "fixing" her computer. A good deal for 20 minutes of work in my book, and despite some ambivalence regarding the original AB, I was intrigued by the oaking.

On occasion, I do drink wine, and I normally steer clear of Chardonnay, as I'm not crazy about drinking something that tastes like wood. Oaked AB demonstrates, though, that oaking may go better with beer than wine.

Poured into a nonic, the beer was very clear, and a flat medium-dark brown. Very little head (maybe due to the new glass, just washed) but what little there was lingered almost to the end.

Nose, just hops and maybe a light toasty malt aroma...I think I detected it only because I was looking for it. No evidence of oak in the scent.

The taste was where my appreciation for this beer took off. It seems like the oaking (assuming the formula is more or less the same as the original AB) mellows out a bit of the overly-assertive bitterness. It's still there, but, I guess I'd call it "flatter" than the normal AB. Hops are on the piney side, which I think matches well with the oak, which doesn't really stand out, but rather matches harmoniously with the other elements. Malt presence is subdued, as in the aroma. It's there, but you gotta look for it.

Mouthfeel, a bit thinner than I anticipated, but I think this supported the drinkability overall. More refreshing than I thought it would be.

I'm not sure I'd search this one out, given all the other great beers out there that I already love or have yet to try, but I wouldn't hesitate to drink it again.

Update, 11/21/07

I've since finished the remaining 5 beers in the six pack. I don't need to change the scoring overall, but I wanted to note that I think my description was off a bit. I don't know what I was smoking, but I missed out on the malt flavor in this beer. It's not nearly as subdued as I originally wrote. I think the beer is still in balance, due to the Stone proclivity for hops/bitterness, but the balance definitely tips more to the malt side than I'd originally indicated.

Although I wouldn't change my score, my respect for this beer actually grew as I finished the six-pack off. I think I'd be more likely to pick this one up, too.

SloMoSlovak, Nov 21, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Found a six-pack of this at a local store. I've always liked Arrogant Bastard, so I was excited to see the Oaked version come out. I poured the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. It's a lovely ruby-copper with a small, tan head. Excellent retention throughout the process. Smells are good, but a little off. Definite notes of piny hops, a thick malty center, and the oak. However, along with the oak comes a slightly rubbery smell. Not strong, but it's still there. Taste is much better. Big taste of the hops... very citrusy and piny. Great bitterness on the center of the tongue, finishing clean with a strong, grainy touch. Some vanilla in the aftertaste. Medium-bodied - not as thick as a stout, but a couple steps up from a pale ale. Overall, very drinkable beer. The character morphed nicely as the beer warmed up. Definitely check this one out at least once!

ndekke39, Nov 20, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

I enjoy a good Arrogant Bastard every now and again.

The oaked taste, however, was not as up front as I had hoped. I could smell a bit of wood in the aroma, but it is hard to find in the taste. Probably since it isn't put into a barrel, only aged on oak chips.

While I wouldn't pay a premium amount more for this beer than I would a regular Arrogant Bastard, this is still good stuff. But only slightly better than the original.

nightcrawler, Nov 19, 2007
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.