Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
younger35

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Drank from a regular pint glass from that familiar 12oz AB bottle. Thanks to JohnGalt1 for this bad boy.

Appearance- Pours a nice deep dark hazy red. Nice big lasting head that covers the whole beer the entire session. Nice sticky, fluffy lacing spirals down the glass.
Smell- Has a subtly sweet toffee like malt smell with gentle whiffs of vanilla. Has that familiar AB citrusy hop aroma that we’ve all come to know and love. Seems more subtle than the original and double.
Taste- Starts with a very nice sweet caramely bite that is o so yummy. Nice grapefruity bitterness that really comes out in the aftertaste along with a very subtle vanilla/oakyness. The flavor really intensifies when it warms. Can slightly taste the alcohol and once the bitterness fades there’s a slight nuttyness to it.
Mouthfeel- Has that sorta dry, low carbonated feel to it that you’d expect. Very smooth and semi-creamy. Very nice.
Drinkability- As the regular AB, this one is very very tasty. Definitely a beer you could enjoy copious amounts of as I find myself drinking it faster than what I would expect. Excellent version of a excellent beer!

04-09-2007 03:55:22 | More by younger35
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Hazy, amber sort of color-a muted orange is more like it. Good enough aroma-some woodiness against a backround of hops. Big malty taste with a pleasant tongue stripping level of hops and astringency. Some definate oak flavors. though I think I was looking for more. Good body. Very drinkable though I find the oakiness detracts from being the "regular" bastard. Too little oak and too many expectations maybe. Bring on the oaked Double Bastard that has been laid down a year or two.

04-08-2007 02:20:15 | More by lackenhauser
JayQue

4.2/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A really fine beer. Reminded me of a barleywine...specifically a mixture of Brooklyn Monster Ale and Bigfoot qualities. Pours a very cloudy brown color with a good size tan head. Left good lacing on the glass. I was expecting a Bigfoot / Celebration Ale style smell, but the aroma was fairly mild. Taste was very good..a little maltiness up front, then a good long hops blast with grapefruit and piney flavors (very much like Bigfoot). The follow through is very smooth and malty (like Monster Ale). My first sip felt thin and watery. All cured by the second taste. Smooth, rich mouthfeel and great tasting throughout. Have to rate drinkability good. Has all the flavor of Monster Ale and Bigfoot with a much lower ABV. I wouldn't say no to a second one!!!!

04-07-2007 03:18:27 | More by JayQue
drumrboy22

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a belgian tulip glass.

Has a brown/red color and is moderately cloudy. Nice off-white head that left lacing around the glass.

Aroma is of heavy citrus, specifically grapefruit. The aroma is fantastic.

The citrus aspect is present in the taste as well. I know this is classified as a strong ale, but it tastes borderline barleywine or DIPA. Heavy hops with moderate malt to balance. Subtle vanilla flavors present. Not as chewy as other oaked beers, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Finish is very long and quite bitter.

Highly enjoyable beer from Stone. I'm glad they decided to release this in 12oz. bottles last time around.

04-02-2007 08:54:15 | More by drumrboy22
Boppar

New Hampshire

3.28/5  rDev -21.9%

Substantially better than Arrogant Bastard.

Pours from a bottle into a snifter a nice brown color, with some red in there, too.

Smells mostly like beer. Also some non-descript fruity sweetness. Orange rind. Maybe maple syrup? Who knows.

The taste is not as complex as I had hoped. I enjoyed the woody dry finish and to a lesser extent, the nuttiness.

The mouthfeel tended to be thin and overly-carbonated, but thankfully the latter subsided over the course of the beer.

Sessionable? Absolutely not.

Interesting concept, decent flavor. Good, but I had higher hopes.

03-31-2007 04:17:40 | More by Boppar
kajerm

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

11.2 fluid ounces of bastardly beer, which informs me of the usual arrogant nonsense and also that the label contains cadmium and may cause birth defects. Way to go, Stone!

Pours medium-brown and hazy with a slight reddish cast. Mostly fine lacing carbonation with some aesthetically-pleasing patches of big bubble bath CO2.

The smell is fairly simple, a bit of vanilla, maple syrup, medium-roasted malts, dark fruit, and some esters. Nice smell, didn't blow my doors off.

Taste is initially malty, with some mid-palate nuttiness (or at least I think it was nuttiness), oak grows stronger until it dominates. Finishes with a bit of amarillo hops, surprisingly dry.

The mouthfeel is light but a bit creamy; unusual but kind of nice.

I wouldn't be able to put away a sixer of these while watching the game, though.

03-31-2007 04:00:56 | More by kajerm
Tyrawlings

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown in color with deep ruby red hues. Dense off white head pours two fingers thick with good retention. Excellent spider web like lacing that creeps all over the glass.

S: Floral. Sweet malts. Citrus. Asprin. Bread. Soft wet earth.

T: Slightly sweet malts are immediately taken over by an herbal and pine hop bitterness that tickles the tongue. A citrus juice presence is followed by slightly roasted sweet caramel malts and the taste of earth. Tea like taste is overlapped by a soft oak finish.

M: Creamy and smooth. Moderate carbonation. Slightly warming and dry.

D: Truely an enjoyable brew. Perfectly balanced and comlex. The subtle oak finish was the winning point for this beer. Insanely drinkable and dangerous. Highly recommend.

03-29-2007 22:10:06 | More by Tyrawlings
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

I have been waiting a long time for this one to come to Indiana and I finally got ahold of a six-pack of 12oz. bottles.

A vigorous pour shows amazing carbonation for an oak aged beer. The result is a huge three finger rich tan head with big fat bubbles. It sits atop a warm dark brown body. Leaves lots of lace.

Nose is sweetly hoppy but a bit mor subdued from the oak agging. Woodsy oak notes are very fresh.

As it hits your mouth this is definitly different, Bitter isnt as floral, but sharp. Leads to a very raw wood meets shoe polish kind of mouth feel. It is odd how the oak brought out the oil in the hops. Very elementaly woodsy overall. I think this one drinks better on the colder side. I'll stick with the original.

03-27-2007 14:26:14 | More by SPLITGRIN
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard is a stupendous shade of sunset coral when viewed with bright sunshine behind the glass. Fat slices of tangerine orange can be seen at the edges and are a perfect color complement to the rest of the beer. The thickly creamy head (that is somewhere between pale caramel, pastel orange and golden beige) manages to slather the glass with butter-like streamers of lace. This is a gorgeous ale.

The nose is equally as good and reminds me of a caramel malty IPA, or even a DIPA, that contains boatloads of pungent, citric zesty, spruce-like hops... which is pretty much what Arrogant Bastard is. I don't remember this much fruitiness in the standard AB, but it has been a while since I treated myself to a bomber. Strangely enough, I can't really appreciate the oakiness in the nose.

My palate must have undergone a few changes (development, I hope) since my last Stone AB because the beer isn't the crazed bitter bomb that my memory tells me it was. Actually, it's more delicous than I remember. Whether that has anything to do with the oak chips is hard to say. I was almost ready to say that I can't appreciate oak on the palate either when... hot damn... there is it, making a big splash on the finish.

The beginning and middle portions of each mouthful are dominated by huge flavors of caramel, white grapefruit pith, bitter orange and pine sap. There's nothing better than Chinook unleashed. Rarely have I tasted a more aggressive ale that is so well-behaved in the mouth. Immediately after the swallow is where the caramelized sugar and oak make their move and turn a great beer into a phenomenal one.

I didn't think it was possible, but warming brings about an even greater intensity. Anyone who thinks this beer or its un-oaked brother is overrated is completely off his or her rocker. This is big beer that was brewed with bourbon-loving hopheads in mind. Since that describes me perfectly, it's no surprise that I'm in awe of what Stone has done.

How could the body/mouthfeel be anything less than fantastic? It's as firm as polished granite and is equally as smooth. It also possesses a luscious creaminess that promotes gulping rather than sipping. I find that I'm drinking waaay too fast, as much for how the beer feels as for how it tastes. Well, maybe not.

I'd have to drink Arrogant Bastard Ale and Oaked AB side by side to determine how much they actually differ. My guess is that the oak chips definitely add something of value. I did a little jig when I found out that Stone decided to release this beer in user-friendly 12 oz. bottles. I'm doing an even more enthusiastic jig now that I've had it. Smashing stuff.

03-25-2007 15:36:57 | More by BuckeyeNation
kpantz

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Executive Summary: So this one is typically love it or hate it. Well, I'm in the middle. It's good, but it's not a favorite. Interesting flavor profile and very nice structure to it. I definitely recommend folks give this a try.

Appearance: Pours a deep, murky molasses color, with ruby highlights, into my snifter with a moderate khaki head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Malt presence, but very unsweet with a noticeable hop aroma and perhaps a hint of woodiness in the nose. Almost has a character of a long-aged barleywine.

Taste: In a word, the flavor is sharp. The oak is quite obvious, laying itself across everything else that may have otherwise played a more significant role. Underneath that, you're treated to an initial sweetness, however short-lived, that transitions to bitterness and dances there at several levels. A fruity character also hangs around throughout the sip.

Mouthfeel: Very clean feeling - little in the way of carbonation and just chewy enough to make you slice your way through the different flavors. I feel like I'm unfolding different flavors as I work it around.

Drinkability: Given the sharp nature of this one, I don't think I'd have more than one in a sitting. That said, it's an enjoyable ale and one that will get you talking.

03-25-2007 04:11:37 | More by kpantz
nlmartin

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Since the release of Oaked Bastard in the 12 ounce bottle I have drank alot of Bastard. The beer was served in a Imperial Nonic.

Appearance: The beer has a dark coppery amber coloration. The head is a creamy biege coloration. The head was two fingers high and resolved to a thin creamy foam. The beer left thick lacing behind on my glass.

Smell: The beer has very pleasing pine and earthy hops. These combine well with toasted caramel and vanilla oak. This is a much more restrained Bastard than I remember.

Taste: The beer has pine resin hops cutting across the flavor. The ber also has a load of caramel and vanilla maltyness. The finish is slightly earthy and bitter. This is dam good stuff!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is slightly bigger than medium bodied. The beer has a very creamy finish. This is a very drinkable and tasty beer. This is one Bastard who is always welcome in my house!

03-12-2007 12:04:57 | More by nlmartin
macster

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a slightly hazy deep mahogany-red color. Creates a tight, pillowy 1/2" beige head with strong retention. Patterns of thick lacing adhere to the sides of the snifter.

Aromas in general were surprisingly restrained for such a complex beer. However, pleasant notes of pine and hops resin, oak, earth, toffee and some faint vanilla waft gently up from the glass.

Mouthfeel starts very smooth and creamy with a soft carbonation level. Goes down with a slight oily texture.

Flavor much bolder than the aroma. Very complex and nuanced. Initally notes of sweet caramel malts, brown sugar, vanilla bean and buckwheat honey greet the tongue. This is very quickly replaced with a very agressive grapefruit rind and wood tannin-like bitterness which immediately deletes any sense of lingering sweetness. I like hops but felt more of a sugary malt contribution would have balanced the flavors out better.

Finishes dry and crisp with a long, lingering bitterness. For only 7.2% this beer is a mouthfull.

03-07-2007 04:29:15 | More by macster
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

The Arrogant Bastard that happened to be Oaked poured a beautiful dark copper/amber hue with a think khaki colored head. Lace stuck to the glass throughout the entire tasting. I really thought this would have a powerful overwhelming smell, but to me, this was quite subtle. The smell is much more malty/oaky than the normal Bastard. Maybe because it's because I'm a hophead that the odor doesn't stand out to me. Taste is absolutely amazing, mild bitter hops bite the tongue but is quickly diminished by the wonderful malty/vanilla oak flavors. The feel is quite smooth with a much more carbonated feel to it than I had anticipated. Very drinkable brew, I was quite pleased with not nearly as much bite as Arrogant Bastard. I have always been a big fan of the original Bastard and have never had much experience in oaked brews, but I actually prefer this over the original because of its drinkability. I plan on experiencing more oaked brews thanks to Stone. Definitely give this one a try if you have the chance.

03-07-2007 00:47:26 | More by BeerTruth
WanderingFool

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard pours a hazy mahogany color with a two fingered size creamy light tan head on top. The foam dissolves slowly down to a thin sheet on the beer leaving behind thick clumps of netted lace on the glass. An mild aroma of oak, with hoppy notes of apricot and orange citrus hovers over the beer.

This medium to full bodied beer is soft on the palate and slightly chewy with a light fizz on the tip of the tongue. The flavor begins a bit fruity with some apricot notes. Hoppy flavors of orange citrus quickly take over and there's a presence of caramel malt balancing out the hops. Throughout each sip is a presence of oak that helps soften all the hops. The beer finishes dry leaving behind some citrus hop flavors.

I thought this beer was well balanced and not nearly has hoppy as the regular arrogant bastard. The aroma was a bit more mild than I thought it would be. Otherwise a very tasty brew.

03-07-2007 00:45:57 | More by WanderingFool
tonistruth

Nevada

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2006 12 oz bottle

A- cloudy brick red w/ a two finger thick and fluffy beige head, great hold on the head

S- pine and citrus can be smelled around the room at first pour, toffee, toasted malts, molasses

T- strong bitterness throughout, metallic at first, burnt wood, grassy, citrus, pine, wood flavor creeps during the middle and then comes forward at finish, toasted malts, malt sweetness up front then hop bitterness slices right in

M- smooth but hops beat down on the palette, alcoholic heat in after, dry finish

D- i honestly thought this brew would be over hyped, but it seriously knocked my socks off, one of my new favorite brews, recommended

03-04-2007 08:06:26 | More by tonistruth
unklesyd

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

It has been a few months since I had this last, and the time has really changed the flavor profile. Not neccessarily improved nor deteriorated, just... different.

Pours out a pretty bland, murky, muddy tawny color, but with good lacing and a nicely layered dirty head.

Thoughout, there is a balance of sweet layered malts, highlighted at this point by a nice chewy choco-caramel, replacing the apricots of a few months ago. Good bitterness, never abrasive or even up-front. Just a perfect balance and compliment to the malt.

I have no idea how someone could say that this is "no different" than the regular AB, especially when this beer bears only a superficial reseblance to its own incarnation of a few months ago. Vastly more balanced and layered. Again, not better, just... different.

03-03-2007 23:09:52 | More by unklesyd
FuzzyGuy84

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Thick, full caramel head that holds nicely. Bright red/copper color, opaque but not cloudy.

S - Spice and malt flavors are strong. A much darker smell than non-oaked Bastard - still strong but not a sweet.

T - Now this is a bitter beer. Man. This is difficult to express. Tastes just wonderful, but it's hard to drink. Oak is most prominent at the end, leaving a wonderful smoky aftertaste. I wonder if it isn't my ignorance toward this style of beers that is making this difficult - I believe this is my first oaked beer. Lots of hops up front but that oak is already doing it's work - it's like a heavy, muffled taste. This beer is making me think and now 2/3 of the way through I'm still finding new things. Incredible

M - Very heavy and chewy mouthfeel. This beer fights back.

D - Now I don't know how to review this. You want to drink this beer - it is delicious. But it's strong and big and I will be more than content with this 12oz bottle. It's not all that drinkable, but I think that's kinda the point.

03-03-2007 21:58:51 | More by FuzzyGuy84
doppelmeup

3.15/5  rDev -25%

I tried a regular Arrogant Bastard about a year ago, and found myself not worthy. So, a year later, when I saw the Oaked AB, I thought I'd give it another shot, to see if my tastes had changed.

Well, they may have changed but I still don't care for the beer that much. Aside from a very, very slight hint of vanilla in the nose, I didn't find much oakiness in this beer.

Looked good, aromas were definite hop bomb, flavor was very bitter but not much else.

As much as I loved the Double Bastard Ale, I guess I'll never care much for it's little brother, oaked or not.

03-02-2007 01:55:48 | More by doppelmeup
Domingo

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

This is my last bottle of some I bought in November. I've had 5 over the course of a few months and I haven't noticed a change. You know, after all of the talk of this beer, I didn't really think it was much different or better than the normal Arrogant Bastard. With that said, it's still a really good beer. I guess the issue is that it's about twice the price and is (or was) somewhat rare.
The oak aging gives it a cloudy look and it feels like a thicker texture, but compared to oak aged stouts and porters, I didn't really pick up a lot of new flavor nuances. There might be some vanilla in there, but the hops don't seem to blend with it, but more cover it up.
I think some of the hops and alcohol have mellowed out a little bit to make it more drinkable, but beyond that it's not that different. The hops are still the star of the show. I think I might pick up some different flavors in the taste, but they're subtle to the point that I can't identify them.
Maybe a taste test between this and normal AB would serve me well, but right now it's just a mellowed out version of a beer I already like.
If you can't find this beer, I'd suggest going after the normal Arrogant Bastard. It's a little more harsh, but the color's nicer.

(EDIT) After trying this on tap, I have to say that it's WORLDS better. A nearly masterpiece actually.

02-28-2007 23:57:53 | More by Domingo
RonfromJersey

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Last of a six pack of twelve ouncers.

Red amber color, excellent clarity, topped by a fist worth of bone-china colored froth.

Oak nose, with a bit of fresh bread. Nice, but not big.

Juicy semi-sweet malt spills across the tongue. Surprisingly quick hop bite before the oak rises to the top and rides the beer into the swallow and on to the aftertaste.

Good solid medium-plus mouthfeel. Good drinkability, particularly if you like "oak".

The impression I get is that the oak wood chips nullified the hops, removing the wonderous abrasiveness of "plain ol' Arrogant Bastard". Still a good beer, but I vastly prefer the original.

02-27-2007 22:44:08 | More by RonfromJersey
GbVDave

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint. Big thanks to kidadam for the hook up!

A: Pours a murky orange-brown color. Large, three finger, khaki colored head. Ample lace.

S: Grapefruit, wood, and cork aromas. Nice interplay between the citrusy hops and the oak.

T: Bitter citrus hops that are countered by a lightly sweet maltiness. The malt also takes a turn from sweet to toasted and leads straight into the flavors of oak. The oak is a compelling addition to this beer. It takes off some of the "rawness" that is very prevalent in the standard Arrogant Bastard.

M: Much smoother than standard AB. Spicy on the tongue and the hops have a pleasant resinous quality.

D: I found this to be a more enjoyable version of AB. The addition of oak chips sands off a lot of the raggedness of AB making it even more drinkable.

02-26-2007 00:19:32 | More by GbVDave
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

First of two 12oz bottles from a trade with grub. Great beer, thanks Russ!

Poured into a Church Key pint glass. Very nice, rich brown with ruby highlights and a half-inch eggshell head. Fascinating aroma; starts with a heavy hit of spicy, piney hops, which is immediately followed by a good whiff of vanilla, damp wood, and earth.

Taste is very well balanced, with more of the previously mentioned flavours plus a little more citrus hops. Surprisingly sweet aftertaste, probably from the "oak-ing". Solid mouthfeel, and very drinkable at this ABV.

I liked this a lot -- similar to the original AB, but different enough to make it worth seeking out on it's own. Looking forward to the 2nd bottle, but I'll save it for a while.

02-25-2007 22:43:47 | More by crwills
RedHaze

Nebraska

Thanks to jhammerly for this 12oz bottle.

Pours a dark opaque brown with a frothy two finger head that fades slowly to a soapy cap and ring. The lacing is thick, and very sticky.

Smell; citric hops are present just as they are in the regular Bastard, and the oaky vanillin aromas come out nicely. There's also a nice caramel malt backround in there as well.

Taste; citric hops and caramel malts almost compete a bit for dominance in there, with the hops coming out slightly ahead. The oak and vanilla flavors are definitely present, and really tone down the "Arrogance" of the regular beer. While this is a really good beer, personnally I prefer the regular Arrogant Bastard to this version.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability; the mouthfeel on this one is medium to full bodied with a bit of a drying effect that I assume is from the oak. The drinkability is really good.

02-22-2007 02:35:34 | More by RedHaze
JohnnyM2002

Maryland

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a chalice at 50 degrees.

A - Pours a cloudy, orange-tinted, medium-brown color with a 2-inch, off-white head. Good amount of carbonation. Truly a beautiful color.

S - Much different than I anticipated. Caramelized malt with a strong hop presence backed up by orange and piney notes. Hmm...

T - Definitely a noticable difference from the regular AB. Not as hoppy as the aroma hinted, but a slight bitterness was still present. Oaked flavors come out, met by vanilla, raisins, & plums...caramel malt still a strong flavor. Very nice, but I was expecting more wood flavors.

M - Very strong finish...body is a little thinner than I would have liked, but still a strong aftertaste.

D - I enjoyed this very much, and I can definitely see myself drinking more than one in a setting. I need to have a side-by-side sampling with the regular Arrogant Bastard to declare an outright winner.

02-21-2007 01:36:08 | More by JohnnyM2002
FLAbeergutinMASS

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap! @ Sierra Grille in Northampton, MA

Served in a snifter glass for four American dollars, can't go wrong with that. I find oaked aged beers to have a watery, or thin appearance, this one was no exception. Not quite the beast in appearance as it's descendent, but a hell of a lot more complex. Crazy notes of Riesling, and sherry rich mellowness on the tongue. Warming on through the nose, with a cracking scotch-like inhalation.

As time as gone on Stone beers have leveled a bit for me. The BA hype, the reality that it's a nationwide "micro", and a ridiculous fanatic fan base, have all been factors. This one, however, lives up to the hype.

02-17-2007 00:55:11 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.