Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +6%

I love the original Bastard, but have never had the Oaked variety. 12 oz bottle, gotten in trade at a FTH function a couple of months back.

Appearance: Deep, dark red, opaque, almost stout-like in its quality, but tinged a deep crimson. Thick off-white head that leaves significant lacing. Highly enticing.

Smell: Sweet, hints of cherries, but with a strong hoppiness. The oak is very present here, overpowering the more subtle aromas. Still, it helps the sweetness of the overall scent and makes this a different experience from the original.

Taste: It's like drinking an apple tree. No, seriously. Strong fruit overtones, mostly apples but with a touch of citrus, following closely by the oaky undertones (hence the branches) and finishing with that hop bite (the leaves). It has the kind of woodsy flavor that I associate with cider, but this tastes like no cider you can imagine. It's a big off-putting at first, but... what the hell? It's fucking Stone, right? It grows on my palate quickly, just like all the other Stone beers.

Mouthfeel: Magnificent, as always with Stone. Thick, amazingly so. Like liquid bread. The hops are more subdued than in the normal Bastard, making this go down clean and easy.

Drinkability: It takes a minute to get used to, but this might go down even more easily than Arrogant Bastard. The oak helps to balance the other flavors, and while I don't think this is quite as good as the original beer, I'd definitely like to keep a few of these on-hand for the occasional taste. Fans of the original brew should give it a shot.

danielharper, Apr 04, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -29%

Twelve ounce bottle, moderate pour into a tulip glass, yields a solid two finger off-white head over a deep amber-mahogany body. Extensive lacing. Pretty beer.

Smell is nice, though not very strong. Cracker malt, pine hops, floral hops, a bit of hay and grass. The oak is definitely there.

Taste is like the smell, although in reverse order. The hops hit first, then the malt, and then the oak vanillins come on good and strong. The oak is what saves this from being an altogether mediocre tasting beer.

Mouthfeel is enriched by the oak-chip smoothness. Nice and round. Good soft carbonation.

Drinkability -- what can I say? It's west coast beer, which means the hop-load is way out of line with the style. I couldn't have more than one of these, because the complexity of the malt and oak-chip flavors are simply smashed by the over hopping. Stone has done it again: taken what might have been a really good beer and made it average by overhopping it. Somebody tell me why Stone's beers all taste like a variation on an IPA! Somebody else tell me what the attraction to Stone beers might be.

Better than the regular Arrogant Bastard, which is just one dimensionally hop-dominated. At least this has the vanilla flavors of the oak to save it from totally mediocrity. This would be a really good beer if Stone could just have held back about half the hops they put in.

ColoradoBobs, Apr 01, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

I tried this immediately following the standard Arrogant Bastard. It poured almost identically, with a dark and clear auburn color with thin light tan head. It smelled very similar too, with lots of warm citrus hops mixed with caramel malt. It tasted the same at first, with the strong orange and pine hops blended with caramel malt, but it also had a noticeable oak flavor blended in. It felt about the same as the original, watery with slight carbonation, and a smooth clean aftertaste with strong bitterness (and oak). Overall this took a great beer and made it even better, with a more unique and balance flavor.

Pencible, Mar 31, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +6%

12 oz bottle from New Beer on Chrystie St in NYC. Very hazy, if I remember much more hazy than the regular Bastard Ale, lots of tan head with huge lacing. Lots of malt in the smell, I somehow expected to smell the oak, but it's kind of hard to distinguish. The taste really blew me away. Some raisins, roasted malt sweetness, followed by the familiar Bastard Ale bitterness and the oak character coming through. I really like the regular Bastard Ale, but I think this is even better. The aging really mellowed it out, it's got a great smooth character, wonderful mouthfeel, wonderful finish that lasts and lasts. Really fantastic beer.

PlaywrightSam, Mar 28, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Pours a dark reddish brown color with a large light tan head that possesses very good retention and lacing. The aroma is malt with some oak character along with some piney hops. The taste features a very nice malt backbone with some oak and a bitter hoppy finish. Overall, this yet another stellar offering from Stone, and I would highly recommend it!

cjgator3, Mar 27, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; a deep and bold ruby with a huge light tan head that is very densely packed. The chips of oak reside along the bottom sides of the glass.

Smell: A deep, smoky, tea-like vanilla malt. Pure smoothness comes across.

Mouthfeel: Very light and smooth initially untill the hops kick in, this is one you can suck on to squeeze out all the hops. Nicely medium body with very little carbonation.

Taste: Woody and malty with nice vanilla notes. Unreal citrusy and hoppy finish. Smooth vanilla tea on the finishing exhale with the hops sneaking in one last time. Beautiful.

Drinkability: Complex yet smooth, I found myself gulping rather than sipping and constantly wanting more. Another very impressive offering from my favorite brewery.

joezak5, Mar 27, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Dark ruby/chestnut body... moderate offwhite head... nice lacing...

S: Nice oak and vanilla scents over some background hops and malts...

T: Nice sweet maltiness hits you first.. caramel, vanilla, oak and a slightly bitter soft hop character... well balanced and in harmony...

M: Smooth, oily, medium bodied... flavors stick in your mouth

D: A treat... enjoyed it and it can easily be recycled for two glasses in a row.

callmemickey, Mar 25, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Opened 12 fluid ounce bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Pours nice 1" head, dies down quickly. Ale is a mahogany colored brew, mostly translucent.

Smell is of hops and malts. I'd expected to smell oak, but none on nose. Taste is very hoppy - I don't taste any woodiness, if anything the oak has increased the body of the ale as it seems a little more full of body.

Drinks real nice, very great beer, a good sipper. As it warms up, the flavors come alive.

mattster, Mar 25, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Picked up a single 12 oz. bottle for 2.99. This is my 3rd "bastard" beer as I have had arrogant bastard and double bastard.

A- This one poured a dark ruby color with some mahogony hues. 2 finger creamy head. This beer sure was sticky and stuck to my glass even after I had cleaned it pretty good.

S- Smell was woody and oaky almost like a fine wine. There was some vanilla and port scents.

T- Taste was malty and sweet. The hops are not as pronouced and present as they are in other arrogant bastard beers. When I think of a SAB, I think "hops." This one is more on the maltier side, but it fits the oak finish. Surely some caramel and vanilla on the tongue.

M- Mouthfeel was sleek and oily. Do not expect a ton of carbonation, this one dosen't have a ton.

D- I enjoyed this a lot. Stone has made a really classy and drinkable beer here.

DavidSeanNJ, Mar 22, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle, BBD of 10/31/07 on the bottom of the bottle, poured into a Delirium tremens tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark reddish brown color, completely opaque. The head formed a cant one finger thick and faded into some lacing.

Aroma: Thin malt and some oak. There may be more but I'm suffering from a cold at present.

Taste: Very complex. At first I got some sweet roasted and caramel malts, then it turns bitter in the middle as the oak comes through. The finish is mainly roasted malts and oaky, along with a light smoke taste, lingering for a while.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied but very smooth, the alcohol was hidden quite well but I felt the effects the further along I got. The carbonation was light, and with all the flavors that fit nicely.

Overall: I didn't realize until after I poured that it was past the best before date, and if it had came out badly I wasn't going to review it. But even with the date it was still quite tasty. I will pick up a fresher bottle sometime in the future, and if there are appreciable differences I will note them here.

FenwaySquid, Mar 22, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into my Delirium Tremens snifter, the Oaked Arrogant Bastard is a dark amber with a fairly large, foamy tan head that is very long lasting, leaving moderate lace.

Smell is apricot ester, woodsy spice and lime hops and vanilla, like an older mans cologne, quite nice.

Taste is very full and rounded, I really like this more then the original, smoother and more complex. The hops are tempered while the wood sugars provide added depth of flavor and balance the lingering dry, bitter finish. A lot of American Strong's have a kitchen sink feel and come off a bit amateurish, but this is clearly a finely crafted beer.

Mouthfeel is smooth and oily, soft and lighter bodied, very nice.

Drinkability is rather high, although the complexity begs savoring, not slamming. Definitely better then original Arrogant Bastard IMHO, I'm not sure why I let this sit in the back of my cellar for so long before busting it out tonight, a few months old served at cellar temp.

ccrida, Mar 20, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

First impression: Is this Kool-Aid? Damn, this beer looks red and clear, you'd almost think it was a wine cooler.

Smell: Ok, I think I've nailed it: fresh cut lumber. Yes, this beer smells like sawdust, Home Depot, and all the good memories you have from your days with a circular saw.

Taste: I almost grimaced at first, because it was so oaky and bitter, it really cuts your tongue. You wonder for a second if you just put varnish or turpentine in your mouth. The more you drink it, the more pronounced the oakiness becomes, and the beer cuts less.

This beer is one of the most unique I've ever come across. It is so oily, it really looks like a wine or some sort of wood stain. If you've ever wondered what wine afficionados mean when they note a wine as being "oaky", look no further. This beer is like the crazy uncle of the tamer wood product- maple syrup.

I paid $15.99 for a six pack. Yes, cheaper than a bar, but still a costly endeavor.

n1ckels, Mar 19, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -18.3%

A - Pours a clear deep reddish brown with 1 fingers worth of light tan head.

S - Not getting much off this. Slight malt maybe.

T - First I get a nice clean flavor, hard to believe. Then some good roast and malt followed up by hoppy finish. I don't get any alcohol from this, which is surprising.

M - Full and slightly astringent.

D - A bit much for daily drinking, and I don't really taste much if any oak. Worth a try, but not anything supper special.

enfield249, Mar 17, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

UPDATE: 01/08/08, bottle courtesy of a friend, poured into a cervoise.

It's been a year or so of reviews later, so I thought I'd revisit an old favorite. It's still a great looking beer, nicely colored, with a gorgeous, fluffy, creamy head with great retention and lacing. I'm gonna knock both the aroma and the taste down half a point - they're still both pleasantly complex and well-balanced, with notes of plums, cherries, spice, vanilla, and wood in addition to the regular array of Arrogant Bastard notes, but I'm just slightly less impressed with them at this point. The mouthfeel is still exceptional - silky and velvety, creamy and smooth. All in all, still a great beer, though just not QUITE as great as I remember it.

***
Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Similar to the regular ABA, perhaps slightly darker. It's a deep mahogany with a rip-roarin', gorgeous head with great retention, sticky lacing, and slow, lazy carbonation. It's picturesque, but since I know what's coming, I can't stare at it for too long.

Smell: Alcohol, oily, bitter hops - pretty much every hop note in the book, too, with pleasant herbal/earthy notes mingling with tart citrus, fruity notes intertwined with woody/piney notes and spices, cinnamon, vanilla - and a nice, sweet, fruity presence play over a grainy, earthy background. Incredibly strong smelling.

Taste: Cinnamon, vanilla, plums and other sweet fruits, minty, juniper-berry wood notes, piney hop bitterness, citric explosions of orange and grapefruit, a sweet, toasty, caramel and toffee backbone - I counted no less than 10 distinct tasting notes in this beer. I'm really dazzled by it. My friend pointed out that in most of the cases, these tasting notes are more than artificial - you're not getting just the cinnamaldehyde, or the vanillin, but the entire flavor experience. It's not artificial tasting at all. It's just plain fantastic.

Mouthfeel: As creamy and luscious as I remember it being, a sheer delight on the tongue.

Drinkability: High alcohol content, and it's a ridiculously sweet and complex beer, so I don't feel safe giving it higher than a 4.0. The addition of the oak does cut down on some of the astringent qualities present in the original ABA, but honestly, I'm afraid too much of this beer might give me a sensory overload.

An improvement over the regular ABA, if I could have imagined such a thing being possible. A true "beer experience," but again, not for the faint of heart. This is a very complex sipping beer, to be savored and enjoyed in a relaxed environment. So grab your favorite snifter, that velvet smoking jacket you've been looking for an excuse to wear, and take a load off - this beer's that good.

CrellMoset, Mar 16, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

This came in an awesome 12 oz silkscreened bottle. I don't know what it costs to silkscreen instead of use a typical label, but it sure looks cool. Especially with Stone's whole gargoyle thing.

Pours a beautiful mahogany color with a reddish tint and a slight head.

Has a sweet smell with floral hops which are strong but not too strong, with a little oaky smell and a hint of vanilla.

Tastes resinous with an oily citrus hop flavor. There is also a toffee/caramel sweetness, and a woody finish that adds vanilla and a light smoke flavor. Very complex and tasty.

The body is full and oily with a dry finish.

This is an awesome and complex beer. I wasn't sure about the concept of messing with Arrogant Bastard (I've only tried a couple of times and loved it), but the oaky flavor is a positive addition. Very smooth. I agree with the bottle... I'm not worthy.

Tasted on 3/8/08.

tmitch75, Mar 14, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Poured into an imperial pint glass, this beer pours a clear deep amber color with a thick tan head that settles to a thin layer, leaving minimal spotty lacing on the glass.

S- Sweet malts, oak, and dark fruits with some hops in the background. Carmel and toffee come out as the beer warms.

T- Big malty sweetness at first with a nice woody flavor from the oak chips. The pronounced bitterness kicks in shortly after.

M- Thick and slightly coating with little carbonation.

D- The oak flavor actually makes this more drinkable than the regular Arrogant Bastard Ale. It sort of cuts that brash quality that the original Bastard posseses. Both beers are great, but I prefer this one over the other. At 7.2%, this isn't really sessionable and the rich flavor profile makes this a beer that I would only want a couple of in a night. The oak flavor never gets boring though.

One of my favorite beers. Highly recommended.

Tdizzle, Mar 13, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

a-- hazy mud brown color, head fades but hangs around

s - oak -- boozy -- toasted malts

t-- hops blend well with the oak, vanillan from the oak -- oak seems to dry out the flavor -- not much residual sweetness

m-- clean - dry -- good carbonation

d- not too heavy, higher alcohol, hops linger good could not drink too much

mully, Mar 13, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Just found this beer at my local pick a pack (Omega Pizza at 22nd and South, Philly--well worth a visit for good selection, decent food, and friendly staff, by the way). Threw it in at the end instead of a Philly Pale and very glad I did. Amber color, not a lot of head, but a big hoppy/oaky nose and a full mouth. This is a big beer with mucho character. A touch dry, but this did not take away from its delivery. Because of its bigness and its 7.2%, not an ideal session beer. Definitely a new regular though. Highly recommended.

pollard5, Mar 07, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a ruby red/brown color with a nice fine tan head.

Smell is fairly sweet but not overpowering. I can smell a bit of alcohol. The taste is quite good. Fairly strong alcohol taste, but I always enjoy a little of that. The hops are good, floral and pleasant. I can taste the presence of the oak aging. I would like to a side-by-side with this and the regular ABA.

I've always thought that aging was nice but not really worth the price. This one might be an exception. It's quite nice. I love Stone brews.

bassmantin, Mar 07, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Got from gottajiboo2 in a trade.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a deep red - almost looks like a barleywine. Smells like orange peel and alcohol. Can't quite pick anything out of the nose or from the taste. Taste is relatively complex. Very well balanced between the malts and the hops. It's definitely not as hoppy as I though it would be. Overall, a very solid brew.

jdubjacket, Mar 06, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -6%

Enjoyed this beer on 1/25/08. Poured a very dark copper with a thin brown head. Bubbles cling to the side of the glass the the head falls. A bit fruity in the nose, with some sweeter overtones. Not as much hoppiness as I was expecting, but it wasn't overbearing, which is a plus. Had some overtones that reminded me of baker's chocolate, as well as some smokiness. The body was a bit more on the heavy side, and there was a bit too much carbonation. I probably couldn't drink more than one at a time, but I could see it being paired quite nicely w/ some Ben & Jerry's.

jeremy13586, Mar 06, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Beer is from the first time Oaked Bastard was made into 6 packs. Severely limited at the time and bottle is probably about 2 years old. Poured from 120z bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

Appearance- Pours an amber brown with a 1.5 finger head of splotchy foam. Red hues shine through the light. Lacing is virtually not there.

Smell- Cascade and Centennial hops. Big oak and thick 60 lovibond toasted malts coming to a toffee-like center with more over the top hoppiness in the finish.

Taste- Malt and oak sweetness with a big hoppy smash coming in later as if hit with a rubber mallet. Oak lingers giving vanilla and cashew tones with more lingering walnuts and bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Big carbonation and thick mouthfeel. Overly cloying with hops. Somewhat warming and sticky.

Drinkability- Not greatly drinkable. There was once a time when I could go to a bar and drink nothing but the bastard, but I think time has run it's course on me and no longer will the bastard set me free. I love other beers from stone, but arrogant has eluded me in my old age. Even on oak and with age, I can't say that this is the best beer in town anymore.

blakesell, Mar 05, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

It poured a nice foamy light-brown head. The color is a brown/deep-red cloudy beer. Not necessarily inviting, but also not for the light-hearted.

Malty scent but I can't quite place it between smoky/woodsy. The hops are aromatic and fruity/citrusy.

Definately that fruity taste turning into a hoppy/bitter finish.

Heavy taste but overall good mouthfeel. You can feel the higher ABV.

Not difficult to drink a few of these. I remember when I worked at a restaurant that had this on tap (briefly). People who didn't like the regular ABA loved the Oaked ABA. It took some of that initial harshness out of the beer. Both beers are great though.

toolbrew, Mar 05, 2008

Here's another epic beer from the brewers at Stone Brewing Co. out in California. It poured into my crystal tasting snifter with a nice foamy head that quickly dissipated. There was a good bit of lacing on the inside of the glass. The aroma was nice and woody along with a fresh pinch of hops. The oak chips do a wonderful job of drying out the initial A.B. The taste is sublime, a mellow mixture of vanilla and toffee with a nice hop bitterness. This is a truly awesome brew worthy of trying. The only question is, are you worthy of trying it?

steelcutoats, Mar 01, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

This brew pours a decent dark golden brown. The smell is almost all alcohol. The taste is a lot of vanilla and caramel. It's pretty nice on the palate. I like this brew. The mouth has a lot of hops sticking around.

Overall, this is a nice brew. It's very rich and complex. Another fantastic Stone product.

iconoklaztor, Feb 29, 2008
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.