Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Big thanks to Viggo for including this in my CanBIF #3 package, I love Arrogant Bastard, and have not been able to sample to oak aged stuff yet.

Pours out a deep transluscent red oak, hazed and almost nearing opaque. Tall sand-coloured creamy head that eventually drops down to a quarter inch sized cap, lots of sticky lacing in its wake.

The aroma is a big hit of malt with a lot of fig and date in the profile, faint cherry, almost vinuous, like Turkish delight. Caramel, vanilla and papaya. Citrus from the hops, although the malt is most certainly in control here on the nose.

Vanilla and caramel are thrust up front on the flavour, while an intense herbal hop jumps in as well throughout. After a few sips the hops abstain from appearing until the middle, but it's a force to reckon with and soon takes control. As it warms everything seems to balance out nicely until the finish, where it is a leafy, tongue-raking hop paradise, that is the gateway to a very astringent aftertaste, the memory of all that great malt goodness just a fading shadow.

Mouthfeel is smooth and on the light side, sticky on the finish.

This stuff is pretty intense, and will follow you around for the rest of they day. Hell, it might just sleep overnight on your doorstep as well if you don't watch out. Big on the malt and on the hops, although the hops do win out in the end on that tug of war.

IronDjinn, Nov 18, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice thick ruddy head, almost amber in color. Head retention right down to the bottom. Bright hoppy taste and exceptional mouth-feel, down right to the bottom creamy. Color is a deep amber brown. Oak flavors are there but don't take over the hops and sweet alcohol taste. Which is surprising But still -- an excellent Bastard! Recommended!

jkdrummer, Nov 18, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a fresh 12 oz. long neck into the new Sam Adams curvy scientifically thoughtful glass.

The color is a ruddy glowing amber-rosewood with a fine 1/2" head.
Sheets on almost undisturbed lace all the way down the glass.

Smells just like a freshly bit into caramel apple; Vanilla dominates while the hops bring to the rear a somewhat spicy tropical fruit element. A few brisk swirls of my fancy glass evokes concord grape jelly scents smattered with brown sugar & molasses.

Wow, all the deeply sweet & malty scents took a shotgun seat position as the dry & rindy hops grabbed the wheel as soon as this glorious liquid hit my tongue. The oak chip maturation really shines on the standard Arrogant Bastard I've grown so fond of. The hops and the oak chips create a perfect dryness & bitterness for the sweet (and slightly toasty) malts to rest upon. All of the scents I described translate perfectly into the flavors, all with a bombastic bitter hop attack straight out of the gate. There's even a tiny hint of sourness at the finish, (although it could just be the unique bitter/dryness from the oak chips) which I'm really digging.

Mouthfeel is medium-to-full bodied with a perfect amount of ultra fine carbonation to keep all the flavors frolicking. A deeply flavorful and dry finish.

Drinkability is through the roof. This really works well for me. The sweet & thick malts linger underneath the potent hop ensemble all entwined with the vanilla dry oakey spotlight - blows my socks off. I'd skip dinner and just drink a few more of these!

Overall a stunningly bold and perfectly balanced ale. It's like The Avengers, The Invaders, The Fantastic Four and the Super Friends all got together and created this beer. If I were to compare this beer to a band, it'd definitely be Led Zeppelin. Full force, multi-dimensional, grimy and graceful! A perfect beer for me!

malty, Nov 18, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +4%

12 oz bottle. Its been a while since I had this one. It pours a deep amber color with a light coat of head over top. The clarity is moderate and there are a few stray bubbles, but no real carbonation present. The aroma is deep caramel with an underlying pine hop and a mellow tannin and light vanilla. It has a nice balance between the aromas. The first sip brings a very solid vanilla and tannin that moves to a full pine hop with a sweet caramel and almost sugary sweetness that fades into a solid but pleasing bitterness. I really think the vanilla on this one blends really well with the caramel and hop of the brew. I don't remember their being a a vanilla note in this one. Mouthfeel is thick, with a light carbonation. Drinkability on this one is really good. There are some big flavors but they blend well and don't make it overpowering. This one still impresses me.

kmpitz2, Nov 17, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

a: A dark slightly hazed ruby tinted brown. A huge off-white head with lots of lacing.

s: Earthy malts upfront. Some smoke and sweet alcohol also noted.

t: Up front the oaked version is similar to Arrogant Bastard (ab). A huge dry malt profile unique to the bastards hits first. The hop bite that follows is blunted somewhat by the oak. Blunted and replaced by... what? Well, that's the problem. The oak flavor is too faint to justify its taming of the hops. Still, this is a more blanced beer than ab and damn tasty.

m: Carbonation is long lasting, a good thing as this is certainly a sipper. Flavors linger nicely at the back of the throat.

d: Tough to score fairly. Comparing this to ab lowers the score quite a bit. Scored on its own merit,however, this is a beer I'd revisit.

DIM, Nov 15, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

12 oz bottle, thanks to either tayner, jasonjlewis or IntriqKen for this sample, don't know whose bottle I am drinking.

A: Pours an opaque deep red under a slightly off white head.

S: A twang grass and slightly citrus hops with some herbal/medicinal qualities, some vanilla, some nice sweet malt. Incredible complexity and equal balance on this aroma.

T: Sweet up front, slight medicinal quality and apparent wood, vanilla and anise, and some smoke in the finish along with some very tame hop bitterness. No hint of alcohol. Again, very complex and very balanced.

M/D: Mouthfeel is very nice. Medium to full bodied, creamy on the palate with no prickly carbonation. Incredible well done. Nice drinkablity as well.

Overall, an excellent,excellent beer that could be enjoyed in quanity or sipped. A more tame version of Arrogant Bastard, but one that adds its own stamp on the name.

NCSUdo, Nov 13, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

i like it. very smooth. dark. nice faint citrus taste, alcohol is pretty hidden. cant really find the oaked flavor though but that doesnt take anything away. this is yet another stone brew that goes straight to the top of my list.not the best but up there pretty close. if you like the original bastard you will like this

calebmills, Nov 12, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

Strong hoppy aroma when first opened. First sips reveal a strong bitterness along with an earthy tone. The appearance has almost the same color as the bottle it came in, a dark brown. Has moderate thin lacing and a head that reduced real quick to almost nothing. Would of liked to see a bigger head for such a hyped beer.
Nicely carbonated with a full body. Leaves a very dry bitter finish. The hop flavor and bitterness hides any other tastes that might be present. Alcohol is well hidden making it easy to drink. I'm not really getting an aged ale with oak chip tastes.Maybe the earthy tone I tasted was the oak chips. It does taste different than regular Arrogant bastard which I prefer. It does have a slight sweet finish. I'm not really impressed with this. The price they were charging was outrageous at like $16.99 a six-pack. I only bought a single.

kelticblood, Nov 12, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Presentation: bottle from Village Bottle Shoppe in W. Lafayette, IN poured into a pint glass.

A: dark brown ale wiht some ruby highlights, murky, not as shimmering as regular Bastard. A off white head builds quickly, and falls away. A bit of lace but not much.

S: Strong oak nose dominates over the malty spine of the beer. The malty sweetness is pushed to the side for the oak. Hops present, strong and aggressive, but still mellow compared to the straight Bastard I had last night. Still a fruity hop bite in nose, but not as much.

T: More oak. Good beer to learn what oak tastes like. Big malt, big hop, but neither lingers not the mouth like the regular, again overridden by the oak. Not a great, but a good blend.

M: here's the thing that's weird, is the mouthfeel is a bit thin, definately lighter than the regular. Missing the chewiness for some reason. Still good, but some interaction I don't seem to get has changed the feel of this beer.

Overall: In spite of the notes above, this is still a pretty good beer. I'd prefer to have the regular Arrogant Bastard over this, which shows I suppose that throwing something in a barrel isn't always going to improve the beer, regardless of being more extreme (and more work). Not upset that I got the six pack, but wish I had more of the regular or gotten more Ruination.

Peer comparison: I'm off in another direction on this one, but I think I'm ok with that. Evidently the lighter mouthfeel is seen as smoothness but others, but I don't have any problem with the smoothness of the regular. Sounds like the tap version may have some subtleness not mentioned in the bottled beer, but I haven't had a chance to confirm that--sadly I live in a non-Stone state and grab it when I'm elsewhere. No one pointed to the oak as dominating as I did, which seems to be the point of reduction for me.

FightingEntropy, Nov 10, 2007
1.85/5  rDev -56.1%

I can't find the attraction to this beer. I know there are lots of people that love it, but if I wanted to suck on a grapefruit, I'd suck on a grapefruit.

I had the non-oaked version and found it barely palatable. I tried the oaked version and, while its more drinkable, it's hardly a beer that I'd say "yes please, I'd love another one!".

One of my least favorites from Stone Brewing and my least favorite strong ale.

r00tarded, Nov 09, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at the Tap house in Hampton. I'd been waiting for this one a while, and I wasn't let down. But let's not get ahead of ourselves now, only a fool would do that.

A - In a pint glass it showed up with a nice fingertip's worth of head that stuck around for a bit. Excellent lacing was shown as this swirling chestnut mixture went down. Fades to a darker brown.

S - Toasted malts and woodchips. Not an overpowering smell as I was expecting, but not unpleasant.

T - Incredible complexity, big roasty profile with spices and malt-like tastes. What amazed me about this brew was that unlike it's standard counterpart, it was nearly impossible to taste the alcohol! Of course due to it's warming effects you could still detect it. As it warmed, it became a bit sweeter and the hop bite was more apparent.

M - Naturally full bodied, perfect carbonation levels, and a nice clean finish. No residue or other nonsense.

D - Excellent, I had a few, and am looking forward to having a few more. This is probably my favorite offering from Stone. Bravo!

PhageLab, Nov 09, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Served in a pint glass, The 1" light beige head stayed around for a long time... very pillowy and left thick lacing. The beer is a deep amber.... looks GOOD!

The smell was understated. I picked up a piney/citrusy hops in the nose.

Taste: YUM! I like this stuff!... the oak aging has mellowed the strong bite of the un-oaked... Oh yes there is still a pronounced hop flavor.... a good combination of pine and grapefruit rind. The malt is there in the background to help balance things out. Plus there is a solid "woodsy" taste... kind of like getting lost in a pine forest.

Mouthfeel: I can't imagine anything better.... this is the thickest, most robust ale I've ever had.... and the creamy mouth coating lingers on and on. The carbonation level is on the low side... which, I feel, only adds to the overall creamyness of this wonderful beer!

Drinkability: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED... good stuff. I would like to do a side-by side comparison with regular Arrogant Bastard Ale.... just to appreciate the difference.

TheBierBand, Nov 05, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

I had this one on tap at the Red Coat Tavern in Royal Oak, MI.

Wow, this is a totally different beer than the AB I had from the bottle a few weeks ago. Maybe it's the oak aging or that it was served on tap, but the hop bitterness was toned down.

Appearance was blase due to the fact that there was no head or any lacing. My first sip I was hit by a whallop of fruitiness, and after that I got the hops. Only after slurping it a bit could I taste the oak. I guess this is the first Stone that I liked(I haven't had their stouts yet), so maybe I'll sample a few more.

Upgrayedd, Nov 05, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Thin white head that fell to a big ring that stuck throughout & somehow left a nice lacing along the glass. Chill hazed brown body.

S: Similar qualities as the regular Arrogant Bastard, plus an odd woodiness - but unfortunately it was all much lighter than A.B. Too light if you ask me.

T: As the smell, the taste is less hoppy & less powerful than regular AB. Plus the odd woody quality from the smell was there too - overall taste wasn't bad, but the oak certainly didn't add anything I liked & interfered with what I liked so much in the normal AB.

M: Medium body, lightly carbonated. Very smooth. Typical Stone excellent mouthfeel.

D: Very drinkable with the alcohol well hidden. Solid offering, but not in the same league with the other Stone brews.

OKCNittany, Nov 05, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

I'm a big fan of Arrogant Bastard...but they were out of it so I figured I would try Oaked. I didn't find it much different than the Bastard...but that's not a bad thing!

The head was of the off white two finger variety which lasted quite awhile and then laced very nicely. Nice balance of hops and malt in the aroma. Decent mouthfeel...a little thin but not bad by any means. Strong malt flavor with a nice balance of bitterness. Not a stong hop flavor or aroma but a nice finish. Everything an ale should be.

This is an enjoyable beer. Not much different from the regular Arrogant Bastard but I'll take what I can get here in Connecticut!

cwachtel, Nov 03, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Many thanks to JohnGalt1 for this bottle

A - Completely opaque mahogany brown color. Rocky light brown head fades to thick patches. Lacing is good.

S - Sweet hops and caramely malt with a very musty woody smell, green-like bitter and slightly creamy.

T/M - Starts out creamy with a sharp bitterness, quickly the earthy woody flavors come in with hints of vanilla. Sugary sweetness and green bitterness lead a finish of sweet caramely oakiness.

D - Overall some very interesting flavors on this one. Worth a try but I don't know if I would ever choose this over a regular AB.

umustdrink, Nov 02, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer poured a clear brown with a 1” tan, rocky head. The aroma is initially of hops, but later gives way to malty sweetness. The taste follows the aroma. The hops are bold in the beginning and it is followed by a sweet malty oak flavor in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied and seems suited. Overall, this is a delicious beer….quite drinkable and highly recommended.

barefootbrewer, Nov 01, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle with Best by of 02/19/07. Opened at 45F and enjoyed in a snifter.

-This brew pours beautifully. It has a perfect ¼" beige head and is a murky raspberry brown. It reminds me of a red lambic.

-Nose of roasted honey covered hops. A woody vanilla sent lingers in the background. As it warms, the hops become a more prevalent.

-What a delicious ale. Some light tartness is accompanied by a sweet compilation of oaked hops and barley. The body is light and almost refreshing. I am not usually a fan of oaking high IBU beers, but this is yet another perfectly balanced beverage from Stone.

-Overall I found this more mature than Arrogant Bastard, but lacking some of the complexity found in Double Bastard. Does our future hold an Oaked Double Bastard? Anyway, it pairs well with a cheese platter and most Italian cuisines.

rye726, Oct 30, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

Purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle last week. Pours a dark brown with a head that fades quickly to a thin cap. Some slight lacing. Smells slightly sour and woody- not acetic, but some wood sourness. There are also earthy/spicy hops and some rough tannins. The taste is somewhat similar, the somewhat harsh and spicy taste of the regular arrogant bastard has been smoothed out by the oak, but the oak introduces its own version of roughness. Nevertheless, its still fairly tasty as it is a fairly harmonious union between oak and hops and malt. Mouthfeel is a little tannic and rough- could be smoother. I miss some of the vanilla notes that come from full barrel aging. Just okay, and probably not worth the money.

Georgiabeer, Oct 28, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Hazy chocolate-brown color, with a minimal tan head.

Smell: Caramel and butter, sweet malt with a touch of hops.

Taste: The oak flavor stands out and matures the taste of standard Arrogant Bastard. The smoky flavors clean up the sweetness and balance all flavors.

Mouthfeel: Great bite with a lingering finish. The carbonation level gives it a life of its own.

Drinkability: Excellent. More drinkable in quantity that regular Arrogant Bastard. Very satisfying complexity.

SargeC, Oct 28, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Excellent! A nice dark, very deep, copper color with great head and nice lacing. It has a nice deep scent, nice hops in it, along with a bit of a smoky feel. Great taste, again a nice shot of hops along with the smoky feel. Goes down very smooth regardless of type, and even more so when you consider that it's a higher ABV beer. Excellent choice anytime! (Although you should never feel bad if you can't find the oaked and can only find the straight Arrogant Bastard.)

JamesS, Oct 27, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

The look is clearer than expected, although there is some haze. Deep mahogany brownish red, with a large rocky head.

The oak is present in the smell but doesn't hijack the rest of the aroma. Heavy alcohol of the srong ale is there too. The oak worries me a bit, for I fear that it's going to dominate the rest of the beer's properties. Hops are bitter grapefruit.

The smoky oak flavor allays my fears as it is a compliment to the strong alcohol of the rest of the ale. The oak is the hook, the accent; it's not the end-all, be-all. The dark alcohol/strong flavor remains. Spicy when it warms up.

Feels smooth but with a little gritty chunkiness. Not too thick but not watery either. A tad prickly. This is actuall a very pleasant, strong drink. Not one you can guzzle all night long but a formidable strong oaked ale.

williamherbert, Oct 27, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Deep mahogany body that pours with fairly thick and creamy off-white head. Head fades to 1/2 finger and has great retention. Plenty of lacing is left behind in the glass. Dark red can be seen without light-but when held up to the light the red is much more noticeable.

S- Nice complex nose. A bouquet of different hop aromas hit the nose first followed by chocolate malt, caramel malt, and vanilla oak.

T- Some hop flavors along with a big oak flavor upfront. Caramel malt is subtle in the background-but still provides plenty of balance. Hop bitterness really comes out for the finish along with a big piny hop flavor. Left to linger is an abundance of oak and chocolate malt with hints of hop bitterness. Taste is bigger and more complex-but much milder than regular AB.

M- Low to medium carbonation and fairly thick body. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy.

D- I like this on much better than regular AB. The flavor is much more complex yet not as aggressive which makes for a nice strong ale. I will certainly have this one again. The only edge regular AB has is its sharp spicy character.

PittBeerGirl, Oct 26, 2007

12 0z. bottle> fat-ass snifter

Pours out looking solid and vibrant with crimson red hues on a brown-amber body, bold carbonation creates a massive 2" smooth and clumpy mocha-cream colored head with plenty of bubbles on top but dissipates moderately slow and leaves plenty of sticky lacing in it's wake. a constant thin, bubbly covering last for the duration.

There's a big, sweet and very herbal hop scent rolling out of the glass including some classic cascade scent's, like pineapple, and assorted acidic fruits, then becoming very green and herbal but certainly floral. Underneath the hops you have a sugar-house like smokiness and a smooth buttery malt.

"Agressive hops" is what stands out most, very complex with a very acidic fruit edge with pineapple standing out most and quickly becoming very herbal, not spicey but earthy. The malt balance is subtle and smooth that includes a semi-bitter oak smokiness and toffee-like sweetness, the malt never really becomes bold and them balance is dominated by hops. The alcohol heat adds further balance and is not too high or in-your-face. Very delightful.

This one feels full, slick and smooth but with a nice lively carbonated bite. Very nice feel.

high-grade american Strong ale. I would only ask for a slightly bigger, if not smoother malt presence.

GratefulBeerGuy, Oct 25, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz bottle from Bevmo. This is the summer 2007 batch. .Pours a rich dark red color with a generous off white head that dissipates slowly. Aroma is strong with citrus and hops. Flavor is complex with biter hops in the forefront, rich malts, hazelnuts, and a bit of caramelized apple. Mouthfeel is full, silky smooth and satisfying. Finish is long with vanilla and slightly sweet. The oak aging really mellows out this concoction. This is a superb beer. Recommended

likestoswallow, Oct 24, 2007
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.