Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

This came in an awesome 12 oz silkscreened bottle. I don't know what it costs to silkscreen instead of use a typical label, but it sure looks cool. Especially with Stone's whole gargoyle thing.

Pours a beautiful mahogany color with a reddish tint and a slight head.

Has a sweet smell with floral hops which are strong but not too strong, with a little oaky smell and a hint of vanilla.

Tastes resinous with an oily citrus hop flavor. There is also a toffee/caramel sweetness, and a woody finish that adds vanilla and a light smoke flavor. Very complex and tasty.

The body is full and oily with a dry finish.

This is an awesome and complex beer. I wasn't sure about the concept of messing with Arrogant Bastard (I've only tried a couple of times and loved it), but the oaky flavor is a positive addition. Very smooth. I agree with the bottle... I'm not worthy.

Tasted on 3/8/08.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Poured into an imperial pint glass, this beer pours a clear deep amber color with a thick tan head that settles to a thin layer, leaving minimal spotty lacing on the glass.

S- Sweet malts, oak, and dark fruits with some hops in the background. Carmel and toffee come out as the beer warms.

T- Big malty sweetness at first with a nice woody flavor from the oak chips. The pronounced bitterness kicks in shortly after.

M- Thick and slightly coating with little carbonation.

D- The oak flavor actually makes this more drinkable than the regular Arrogant Bastard Ale. It sort of cuts that brash quality that the original Bastard posseses. Both beers are great, but I prefer this one over the other. At 7.2%, this isn't really sessionable and the rich flavor profile makes this a beer that I would only want a couple of in a night. The oak flavor never gets boring though.

One of my favorite beers. Highly recommended.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

a-- hazy mud brown color, head fades but hangs around

s - oak -- boozy -- toasted malts

t-- hops blend well with the oak, vanillan from the oak -- oak seems to dry out the flavor -- not much residual sweetness

m-- clean - dry -- good carbonation

d- not too heavy, higher alcohol, hops linger good could not drink too much

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Just found this beer at my local pick a pack (Omega Pizza at 22nd and South, Philly--well worth a visit for good selection, decent food, and friendly staff, by the way). Threw it in at the end instead of a Philly Pale and very glad I did. Amber color, not a lot of head, but a big hoppy/oaky nose and a full mouth. This is a big beer with mucho character. A touch dry, but this did not take away from its delivery. Because of its bigness and its 7.2%, not an ideal session beer. Definitely a new regular though. Highly recommended.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a ruby red/brown color with a nice fine tan head.

Smell is fairly sweet but not overpowering. I can smell a bit of alcohol. The taste is quite good. Fairly strong alcohol taste, but I always enjoy a little of that. The hops are good, floral and pleasant. I can taste the presence of the oak aging. I would like to a side-by-side with this and the regular ABA.

I've always thought that aging was nice but not really worth the price. This one might be an exception. It's quite nice. I love Stone brews.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Got from gottajiboo2 in a trade.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a deep red - almost looks like a barleywine. Smells like orange peel and alcohol. Can't quite pick anything out of the nose or from the taste. Taste is relatively complex. Very well balanced between the malts and the hops. It's definitely not as hoppy as I though it would be. Overall, a very solid brew.

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Enjoyed this beer on 1/25/08. Poured a very dark copper with a thin brown head. Bubbles cling to the side of the glass the the head falls. A bit fruity in the nose, with some sweeter overtones. Not as much hoppiness as I was expecting, but it wasn't overbearing, which is a plus. Had some overtones that reminded me of baker's chocolate, as well as some smokiness. The body was a bit more on the heavy side, and there was a bit too much carbonation. I probably couldn't drink more than one at a time, but I could see it being paired quite nicely w/ some Ben & Jerry's.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Beer is from the first time Oaked Bastard was made into 6 packs. Severely limited at the time and bottle is probably about 2 years old. Poured from 120z bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

Appearance- Pours an amber brown with a 1.5 finger head of splotchy foam. Red hues shine through the light. Lacing is virtually not there.

Smell- Cascade and Centennial hops. Big oak and thick 60 lovibond toasted malts coming to a toffee-like center with more over the top hoppiness in the finish.

Taste- Malt and oak sweetness with a big hoppy smash coming in later as if hit with a rubber mallet. Oak lingers giving vanilla and cashew tones with more lingering walnuts and bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Big carbonation and thick mouthfeel. Overly cloying with hops. Somewhat warming and sticky.

Drinkability- Not greatly drinkable. There was once a time when I could go to a bar and drink nothing but the bastard, but I think time has run it's course on me and no longer will the bastard set me free. I love other beers from stone, but arrogant has eluded me in my old age. Even on oak and with age, I can't say that this is the best beer in town anymore.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

It poured a nice foamy light-brown head. The color is a brown/deep-red cloudy beer. Not necessarily inviting, but also not for the light-hearted.

Malty scent but I can't quite place it between smoky/woodsy. The hops are aromatic and fruity/citrusy.

Definately that fruity taste turning into a hoppy/bitter finish.

Heavy taste but overall good mouthfeel. You can feel the higher ABV.

Not difficult to drink a few of these. I remember when I worked at a restaurant that had this on tap (briefly). People who didn't like the regular ABA loved the Oaked ABA. It took some of that initial harshness out of the beer. Both beers are great though.

Here's another epic beer from the brewers at Stone Brewing Co. out in California. It poured into my crystal tasting snifter with a nice foamy head that quickly dissipated. There was a good bit of lacing on the inside of the glass. The aroma was nice and woody along with a fresh pinch of hops. The oak chips do a wonderful job of drying out the initial A.B. The taste is sublime, a mellow mixture of vanilla and toffee with a nice hop bitterness. This is a truly awesome brew worthy of trying. The only question is, are you worthy of trying it?

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

This brew pours a decent dark golden brown. The smell is almost all alcohol. The taste is a lot of vanilla and caramel. It's pretty nice on the palate. I like this brew. The mouth has a lot of hops sticking around.

Overall, this is a nice brew. It's very rich and complex. Another fantastic Stone product.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

I poured a 12 ounce bottle purchased from the Beer Shoppe in Yakima, Washington into a Commemorative Heidelberg, Germany mug.

A: An aggressive pour resulted in a body that was somewhere between a bright rich copper and brick orange and a massive white head. The head was dense and sticky and receded slowly to a even cover over the liquid and fed a layered even curtain of lace.

S: The aroma was rich with the smell of sweet toasted malts, vanilla, and woody smoked earthy oak.

T: It tasted of sweet toasted malts, spices,t caramel, complex citrus and bitter profiles and smoky and woody flavors. The brew benefited from a rest before consuming allowing some of the sharpness of the hops to smooth out and blend in with the malts and oak flavors.

M: It was medium bodied with a nice sweet malt base complemented by bitter and floral hops and a very clean finish that resulted in a nearly dry and clean aftertaste.

D: Very pleasant brew with a complex and varied taste, outstanding appearance, and excellent mouth feel. It is a bit overhopped for my taste but like other Stone products this beer balanced a massive hop presence with other strong flavors.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Solid thick lingering head with solid lace, inviting red amber color, slight carbonation visible

S - Rich hoppy smell with hints of citrus, namely lime

T - Slightly bitter and smokey with a hint of bananas

M - At first creamy and smooth but turns try and puckering as it lingers

D - A very slow drink... One would be my limit...

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Bought a six pack of bottles for....get this...$14. Yikes!

Pours with a good 1" head. Creamy white head and lacing. Dark amber color. Clear, no floating remnants. Medium carbonation. The color is very rich and enticing.

The smell is one of a kind. A Smokey Coffee scent. More like a porter. Earthy, like one would expect from a single malt scotch. Nothing else like it in the beer world.

Taste is also very unique. Similar to Arrogant Bastard (unoaked). Except a bit more balanced due to the woody/oak flavor. I'm not sure the taste is better than AB, just different. You can taste the alcohol and a bit of extra bitterness in the finish.

This feels thick and has a very dry finish. Coats your mouth, very smooth.

Drinkability is limited. This is a very rich offering and I could probably go for a couple pints.

Very unique twist on what is probably one of the best beers out there....Arrogant bastard. Must try for any Stone fan.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours from the 12oz bottle a bright crimson with decent head which laces the glass upon dissipation.
Smells very strongly of hops, some orange/grapefruit notes and, yes, wood.
Flavors of citric grapefruit, pine-nut, and a dry oak. The yeast makes itself known, as does a distinctive hop bite. The malts kick in by the end as to not allow the hops to steal the show. There is alot going on in this brew.
It stays very lively in the mouth, allowing the distinctive flavors to power themselves around. Leaves a puckering tangyness which throbs the lower mouth & gums after swallowing.
Drinkability, as with the traditional ABA, depends on one's tolerance for hops malt & yeast which knock you over the head with their presence. For myself, and many others, it's a much-welcome presence in the beer world.

2.63/5  rDev -37.4%

bottles thanks to franksnbeans and fordest
Almost thinner bodied seaming to its regular counterpart. Still reddish brown, with a somewhat muted dryly-sweet malt smell and light hops. Taste though was lighter, more muted, and much dryer and chalkier, especially in respect to the bitterness. The oak seems to have magnified the things I didn't like about the original. Not for me.

3.53/5  rDev -16%

12 oz from total wine.

A - Dark maroon with lots of capuccino colored head. Dissipates slow with light legs.

S - Red Cherries, oak chips, anise, and honey.

T - Oaky, malty, and cherries.

M - Chewy, slightly bitter and dry. Not liking the ending bitterness. Way too much earthy hops.

D - The mouthfeel really throws off this beer. I really like the regular one though.

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance is dark brown with a moderate amount of foam. Smells of oak and spices. Taste was somewhat disappointing; the oak flavor dominates everything else. There was a bit of spices, maybe some cinnamon in there, but overall the flavor was on the weak side aside from the oak. It's hard to believe this is the case with a Stone beer, who make some of the best I've tasted, but this one wasn't all that impressive. It was OK to drink while taking my time, but I wouldn't have wanted another one anytime soon.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Pours a deep copper color with huge, frothy, pillowy off-white head. Leaves a large amoun of lacing on the glass as it dissipates.

S: Smell of citrus and charred oak and a light floral aroma

T/M: Amazing brew is the first thing I think of after this sip. Wonderful taste of bitter grapefruit and a light amount of oak. Closes with a litle vanilla and oak and perfect hop bitterness. Perfectly medium body and with medium amount of carbonation. Light amount of oily hops left on the palette.

D: Great beer that is dangerously drinkable.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured cool into a pint, picked up at Thirsty's in York.

A - A deep copper/burnished amber w/ a full khaki cap of about 2 fingers w/ a rocky consitency.

S - Bitter citrus notes w/ a light vanilla, woody aroma that has subtle smoke and plenty of oak odors. Slight candied malt scents are subdued beneath the big woody nose.

M - Big malty smoothness w/ dry oaky nuttiness and big NW hops adding piney sharpness.

T - Huge woody flavor w/ smoky toast notes and subtle fruity sweetness w/ caramel malt and a pine bite w/ citrus flavored hops. Fruit is cherry and fig-like w/ spicy nutmeg and clove notes. There are gentle hints of caramelized brown sugar and toffee rounding out the vast complexities in this extreme ale.

D - A boozy and intensely oak flavored ale, bery tasty w/ plenty of hops and flavor, yet not the most drinkable beer for my taste. This was paired w/ a salad my brother made w/ tons of ginger and lime w/ cilantro and scotch bonnets. There was also a garlic aioli w/ raw egg dijon mustard and chives with redskin roasted potatos- which was even more intense when paired w/ this ale. My brother tried to burn my mouth w/ a fiery orange habanero in the dressing and the oaked bastard seemed tame next to his full-on ginger lime dressing.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Given to me by my friend who is in the navy. I have always wanted to try this beer and i am glad i get to now. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A- a hazy, cloudy red amber color. A 2 finger lacy head ends after pouring and has some good hanging around power. the lacy head is tinted tan.

S- it has an oak smell to it. Obviously right! It smells yeasty and somewhat malty as well. A great smell and very inviting. i cant wait for the taste.

T- So good when it hits the lips. I can taste the oak from which it was aged in. I also can taste a hint of smoked/burnt caramel/wood flavor. Not too hoppy and and just the right amount of malts and yeast cleanse my palate. Just the way i like it.

As i move it around in my mouth it feels like a party of malted hops and barley is exploding my mouth. A great creamy feeling flows down my throat. I can still taste the beer in my mouth 30 seconds to one minute later. A great beer. I would love a case of this to store.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass. Dark amber color with a nice head. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Bubbles continued to rise from the bottom throughout the drinking.

Smelled citrusy with a little sweetness

Subtle grapefruit flavors with a very clean finish. Not much aftertaste. Less bite than the regular Arrogant Bastard, the oak seems to have done it some good.

Mouthfeel is very nice, very smooth

Drinkability is great. But for the alcohol content, I could drink these all night.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

After drinking half this bottle ice cold, I let the other half warm up quite a bit before pouring. The color is a bit dark with orange hue. There was nice head development that didn't hang out for the whole glass. Smells good, but I've been outside in the cold, so I can't really pick up much. Taste has a great balance of hops and malt, I really pick up the oak flavor. The oak comes through as very "fresh" and I think it would do well to age this beer some more. Mouthfeel is on par. Its not too thick or think, the carbonation is nice (a bit mild which works well). Drinkability is hard for me to judge because its such an unusual beer style. I could go for a few of these, but I really like strong flavors. Its not too alcoholic, in fact its quite drinkable for the ABV.

Again, I really like this beer. I pick up the oak immediately, but think that its too "raw" Its almost like chewing on an oak chip. If you favor a good whiskey, check this stuff out.

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%

It's been a while since I've had this so today's review will be just like I'm having it for the first time.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Sam Adams glass a brownish amber with some orange hues to it. The head starts at 1-2 fingers and drops eventually to a massive collar and a hazy and full surface of foam. Rings of lacing mark the sizes of my swallows all the way down the glass.

SMELL: The nose is strong on the familiar piny, herbal, and slightly citrusy and resinous Arrogant Bastard hop profile. Some oak and vanilla do make it through, though in lighter amounts. A bready malt base backs everything up and balances the beer out.

TASTE: The taste is surprisingly mild on the flavor of the hops and sweetness of malt, but it's made up for in the strength of the oak flavors. It lasts from nearly the start through the entire finish. The hops outshine the malt by a pretty decent margin, though I wish both were amped up a bit more as the emptiness that they give the beer makes me want more. As it is with the piny hops and the woody oak flavors, it's a Christmas tree in a glass.

MOUTHFEEL: Could this possibly be too thin? I don't know if I've grown accustomed to bigger beers so much that this seems like it could be beefed up considerably. The lightness is a little refreshing though even if the beer is slightly syrupy. Carbonation is only slightly higher than average and is where it should be.

DRINKABILITY: It certainly does well here. As far as wood-aged beers go, this is one of the more easy drinkers that I've had. I have always wondered why this doesn't come in bombers. There are many of Stone's beers that are harder to get through than this one.

Okay, it's a nice beer and fun to compare to the original. Definitely recommended to try, but for me it probably won't repeat in my fridge too often - especially for the price.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to london1o1 for the good trade

A- pours a pretty dark slightly red brown with what was originally a pretty fluffy head but quickly faded into a thin lace on top, with bubbles clinging to the side

S- malts and oak are the majority of the scents, some undertone hops that are pretty solid.

T- it starts with a big amber malt flavors with a nice hop bitterness with it, slowly fades into the full hops and then fades into the really strong wood flavor that formed an awesome finish that was really lingering and delicious

M- has a full bodied lightly carbonated creamy body.

D- another solid beer from stone, i really like the oak flavors but the ageing on the arrogant bastard makes that part a little worse but it is still a great beer

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.