Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to Boolshot and marvz for providing this beer in the Double Trouble BIF.
Pours a crimson/brass color with 1/4" beige head that fades rather quickly. Sticky, drippy, spiderweb lacing.
Aroma is fantastic right out of the bottle. Smells like the oakless Arrogant. I don't smell the oak chips but I do smell the vanilla that previous reviewers have mentioned. The Vanilla is a nice touch.
Flavorwise: this isn't nearly as hoppy or brash as the Oakless Arrogant, but it is every bit as good. This is more mellowed out and balanced. There are still loads of citrus hops but the oak chips adds a perfect balance.
Smooth mouthfeel but lacks the Arrogance of the origional.
This is one easily quaffable beer. A 12oz bottle simply isn't enough.

wcudwight, Apr 26, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

12oz bottle courtesy of grub and shared with fisherman34. Thanks for the trade! Poured into a snifter.

Pours a very murky orange-red colour with 1/4 inch of head that dissipates quickly. Carbonation seems mild to medium. Lovely colour. Aroma is extremely heady. Sweet floral notes with resiny pine and light citrus. Lots of woody notes, a bit of raisin and vanilla.

Taste is exceptional and complex. The woody oak really comes through nicely. Flavours reminiscent of port and some raisin. Piney and herbal hops that go into a lovely caramel malt with a bit of vanilla and biscuit in the back. Cookie-like in the finish and perhaps a bit grainy. Balance is near perfect. Mouthfeel is less dry than I thought it would be, and the carbonation is about right, medium to mild. So delicious I'd have another, dangerous, as the alcohol is well hidden in my opinion. Another wonderful beer from Stone.

trevorwideman, Apr 25, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

I got this at The Party Source in Newport, KY.

Appearance: copper-brown color with a nice 1/2" head; looks great when your pour it
Smell: not much here, surprisingly; i sense a little bit of hops and raisins
Taste: similar; hops and a raisin sweetness to balance it; the taste isnt as hoppy as regular arrogant
Mouthfeel: nice, thick, full-bodied
Drinability: goes down OK; you can't chug it, but then again you wouldn't want to

This isn't quite as good as regular Arrogant, but i'd like to give this oaked another shot

Applesauce1, Apr 24, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle aquired via trade with akorsak.

A: Slightly clouded amber color, with a tan head that recedes to a thin ring. Leaves some lacing behind.

S: Similar to regular Bastard, except for the slightly smokey oak. Some vanilla smell.

T: Same as smell. Slightly astringent. Not too bad, though. No vanilla taste, too bitter.

M: Dry yet creamy smooth. Don't know if the bitterness is all from the hops or some from carbonation.

D: about the sam eas regular Bastard. Gets batter as it warms.

This OAB is a nice change of pace from the regular. Decent beer.

guinnessfan, Apr 23, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

Sampled side by side with regular Arrogant Bastard Ale, like you could call it regular. The beer poured the same deep amber almost brown as it's more common older brother with a similar head that left a little less lacing. The aroma was almost identical to it's brother, caramel malts and pine hops with just a hint of oak. The oak in the taste adds a truly unique quality to an already complex beer. My only problem is it adds just a slight astringency to the mouthfeel, nothing much, but enough to keep it from the 5 I gave it's brother. All being said, this is also a one of my absolute favorite beers, but I rank it just behind the real deal.

atsprings, Apr 22, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Bottled sample shared with trevorwideman. Murky amber in colour with strong aromas of dark caramel, pine, white grapefruit, vanilla, almond, and a hint of raisin. Very woody in the mouth (both fresh cut wood and bark), red grape skins, a bit of port (probably the combination of the caramel and grape elements), with a cookie like malt character coming through near the finish. There’s a citrus fruit + woody astringency that balances out the malt in a very interesting way. I think I like this beer a bit better than it's non-oaked counterpart. Thanks trev!

fisherman34, Apr 21, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

not too concerned with describing this one but I do feel that the numbers are about right

a: Khaki head pours big and looks good, with nice retention and lacing. The beer is a deep brown in color.

s: Smells quite nice. Really smooth and oaky with a great hop presence. Biscuity malt sweetness. Some more malt presence with some dark fruits would seal the deal. A range of fruits and a sort of subtle complexity.

m: Low-medium, smooth carbonation and a medium-full body.

t: A good taste but it doesn't wow me as much as expected. Seems a little low in the malt department. The big oak does blend nicely with the spicy hops...really damn oaky to the point that it almost overpowers things. Kinda one-dimensional. Moderate bitterness in the finish.

d: certainly drinkable

the last of a few i received for my bombing

blackie, Apr 21, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured an almost clear brown color with a small off-white head that left some lacing as I drank it. The brew has a piney hop smell to it, like its twin brother the aroma is not too pronounced. The taste is of grapefruit hops, a slight chocolate malt flavor, a bit of rubbing alcohol. I'm not sure of the differences between the oaked and non-oaked, I would need to drink them side by side, though I do know the difference from the double. It's hard to forget the double. The feel is light and fizzy, and leaves a bitter aftertaste that lingers around. This is good as a sipper but when I take a big gulp, the bitterness kills me. Good for one or two.

Gmann, Apr 21, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

Murky deep brown with shards of garnet. Foamy tan head on top that is dissipating quickly. Smell is strong ale. Not as hop heavy as you might expect. Somewhat smoother than original bastard. Good malt in the nose. Alcohol noticeable as well. This has a bite to it in the taste. Good malt, definitely subdued hop presence, but the alphas are all there. Not much aroma hops. Toasted, burnt, biscuity malts falling all over the place. There is an astrigent/medicinal effect also that I find a lot in oak-aged beers.

Mouthfeel is nice. Good carbonation, not too fizzy. Easier to drink probably than it's brother.

A nice brew, but I'll take the original bastard over the oaked.

benmiliron, Apr 11, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, screen printed bottle. Great logo, with the OAKED looking like a stamp over the AB logo. I don't see a date on it, but it has only been offered once so far in 12 oz bottles.

Appearance: Hazy reddish brown, great off white head. Very nice retention and lacing.

Smell: Malty with lots of vanilla and oak. Some hops come through in the background.

Taste: More going on here than I can describe. Much smoother than the original Arrogant, lots of oak and smooth vanilla. The hops and malt are still there though - just a bit mellower.

Overall impression: Fantastic beer, and I love that they are offering it at least occasionally in 12 oz bottles. Glad I stocked up!

rowew, Apr 11, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Drank from a regular pint glass from that familiar 12oz AB bottle. Thanks to JohnGalt1 for this bad boy.

Appearance- Pours a nice deep dark hazy red. Nice big lasting head that covers the whole beer the entire session. Nice sticky, fluffy lacing spirals down the glass.
Smell- Has a subtly sweet toffee like malt smell with gentle whiffs of vanilla. Has that familiar AB citrusy hop aroma that we’ve all come to know and love. Seems more subtle than the original and double.
Taste- Starts with a very nice sweet caramely bite that is o so yummy. Nice grapefruity bitterness that really comes out in the aftertaste along with a very subtle vanilla/oakyness. The flavor really intensifies when it warms. Can slightly taste the alcohol and once the bitterness fades there’s a slight nuttyness to it.
Mouthfeel- Has that sorta dry, low carbonated feel to it that you’d expect. Very smooth and semi-creamy. Very nice.
Drinkability- As the regular AB, this one is very very tasty. Definitely a beer you could enjoy copious amounts of as I find myself drinking it faster than what I would expect. Excellent version of a excellent beer!

younger35, Apr 09, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Hazy, amber sort of color-a muted orange is more like it. Good enough aroma-some woodiness against a backround of hops. Big malty taste with a pleasant tongue stripping level of hops and astringency. Some definate oak flavors. though I think I was looking for more. Good body. Very drinkable though I find the oakiness detracts from being the "regular" bastard. Too little oak and too many expectations maybe. Bring on the oaked Double Bastard that has been laid down a year or two.

lackenhauser, Apr 08, 2007
4.2/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A really fine beer. Reminded me of a barleywine...specifically a mixture of Brooklyn Monster Ale and Bigfoot qualities. Pours a very cloudy brown color with a good size tan head. Left good lacing on the glass. I was expecting a Bigfoot / Celebration Ale style smell, but the aroma was fairly mild. Taste was very good..a little maltiness up front, then a good long hops blast with grapefruit and piney flavors (very much like Bigfoot). The follow through is very smooth and malty (like Monster Ale). My first sip felt thin and watery. All cured by the second taste. Smooth, rich mouthfeel and great tasting throughout. Have to rate drinkability good. Has all the flavor of Monster Ale and Bigfoot with a much lower ABV. I wouldn't say no to a second one!!!!

JayQue, Apr 07, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -6%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a belgian tulip glass.

Has a brown/red color and is moderately cloudy. Nice off-white head that left lacing around the glass.

Aroma is of heavy citrus, specifically grapefruit. The aroma is fantastic.

The citrus aspect is present in the taste as well. I know this is classified as a strong ale, but it tastes borderline barleywine or DIPA. Heavy hops with moderate malt to balance. Subtle vanilla flavors present. Not as chewy as other oaked beers, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Finish is very long and quite bitter.

Highly enjoyable beer from Stone. I'm glad they decided to release this in 12oz. bottles last time around.

drumrboy22, Apr 02, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -21.9%

Substantially better than Arrogant Bastard.

Pours from a bottle into a snifter a nice brown color, with some red in there, too.

Smells mostly like beer. Also some non-descript fruity sweetness. Orange rind. Maybe maple syrup? Who knows.

The taste is not as complex as I had hoped. I enjoyed the woody dry finish and to a lesser extent, the nuttiness.

The mouthfeel tended to be thin and overly-carbonated, but thankfully the latter subsided over the course of the beer.

Sessionable? Absolutely not.

Interesting concept, decent flavor. Good, but I had higher hopes.

Boppar, Mar 31, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

11.2 fluid ounces of bastardly beer, which informs me of the usual arrogant nonsense and also that the label contains cadmium and may cause birth defects. Way to go, Stone!

Pours medium-brown and hazy with a slight reddish cast. Mostly fine lacing carbonation with some aesthetically-pleasing patches of big bubble bath CO2.

The smell is fairly simple, a bit of vanilla, maple syrup, medium-roasted malts, dark fruit, and some esters. Nice smell, didn't blow my doors off.

Taste is initially malty, with some mid-palate nuttiness (or at least I think it was nuttiness), oak grows stronger until it dominates. Finishes with a bit of amarillo hops, surprisingly dry.

The mouthfeel is light but a bit creamy; unusual but kind of nice.

I wouldn't be able to put away a sixer of these while watching the game, though.

kajerm, Mar 31, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown in color with deep ruby red hues. Dense off white head pours two fingers thick with good retention. Excellent spider web like lacing that creeps all over the glass.

S: Floral. Sweet malts. Citrus. Asprin. Bread. Soft wet earth.

T: Slightly sweet malts are immediately taken over by an herbal and pine hop bitterness that tickles the tongue. A citrus juice presence is followed by slightly roasted sweet caramel malts and the taste of earth. Tea like taste is overlapped by a soft oak finish.

M: Creamy and smooth. Moderate carbonation. Slightly warming and dry.

D: Truely an enjoyable brew. Perfectly balanced and comlex. The subtle oak finish was the winning point for this beer. Insanely drinkable and dangerous. Highly recommend.

Tyrawlings, Mar 29, 2007

I have been waiting a long time for this one to come to Indiana and I finally got ahold of a six-pack of 12oz. bottles.

A vigorous pour shows amazing carbonation for an oak aged beer. The result is a huge three finger rich tan head with big fat bubbles. It sits atop a warm dark brown body. Leaves lots of lace.

Nose is sweetly hoppy but a bit mor subdued from the oak agging. Woodsy oak notes are very fresh.

As it hits your mouth this is definitly different, Bitter isnt as floral, but sharp. Leads to a very raw wood meets shoe polish kind of mouth feel. It is odd how the oak brought out the oil in the hops. Very elementaly woodsy overall. I think this one drinks better on the colder side. I'll stick with the original.

SPLITGRIN, Mar 27, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +15%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard is a stupendous shade of sunset coral when viewed with bright sunshine behind the glass. Fat slices of tangerine orange can be seen at the edges and are a perfect color complement to the rest of the beer. The thickly creamy head (that is somewhere between pale caramel, pastel orange and golden beige) manages to slather the glass with butter-like streamers of lace. This is a gorgeous ale.

The nose is equally as good and reminds me of a caramel malty IPA, or even a DIPA, that contains boatloads of pungent, citric zesty, spruce-like hops... which is pretty much what Arrogant Bastard is. I don't remember this much fruitiness in the standard AB, but it has been a while since I treated myself to a bomber. Strangely enough, I can't really appreciate the oakiness in the nose.

My palate must have undergone a few changes (development, I hope) since my last Stone AB because the beer isn't the crazed bitter bomb that my memory tells me it was. Actually, it's more delicous than I remember. Whether that has anything to do with the oak chips is hard to say. I was almost ready to say that I can't appreciate oak on the palate either when... hot damn... there is it, making a big splash on the finish.

The beginning and middle portions of each mouthful are dominated by huge flavors of caramel, white grapefruit pith, bitter orange and pine sap. There's nothing better than Chinook unleashed. Rarely have I tasted a more aggressive ale that is so well-behaved in the mouth. Immediately after the swallow is where the caramelized sugar and oak make their move and turn a great beer into a phenomenal one.

I didn't think it was possible, but warming brings about an even greater intensity. Anyone who thinks this beer or its un-oaked brother is overrated is completely off his or her rocker. This is big beer that was brewed with bourbon-loving hopheads in mind. Since that describes me perfectly, it's no surprise that I'm in awe of what Stone has done.

How could the body/mouthfeel be anything less than fantastic? It's as firm as polished granite and is equally as smooth. It also possesses a luscious creaminess that promotes gulping rather than sipping. I find that I'm drinking waaay too fast, as much for how the beer feels as for how it tastes. Well, maybe not.

I'd have to drink Arrogant Bastard Ale and Oaked AB side by side to determine how much they actually differ. My guess is that the oak chips definitely add something of value. I did a little jig when I found out that Stone decided to release this beer in user-friendly 12 oz. bottles. I'm doing an even more enthusiastic jig now that I've had it. Smashing stuff.

BuckeyeNation, Mar 25, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Executive Summary: So this one is typically love it or hate it. Well, I'm in the middle. It's good, but it's not a favorite. Interesting flavor profile and very nice structure to it. I definitely recommend folks give this a try.

Appearance: Pours a deep, murky molasses color, with ruby highlights, into my snifter with a moderate khaki head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Malt presence, but very unsweet with a noticeable hop aroma and perhaps a hint of woodiness in the nose. Almost has a character of a long-aged barleywine.

Taste: In a word, the flavor is sharp. The oak is quite obvious, laying itself across everything else that may have otherwise played a more significant role. Underneath that, you're treated to an initial sweetness, however short-lived, that transitions to bitterness and dances there at several levels. A fruity character also hangs around throughout the sip.

Mouthfeel: Very clean feeling - little in the way of carbonation and just chewy enough to make you slice your way through the different flavors. I feel like I'm unfolding different flavors as I work it around.

Drinkability: Given the sharp nature of this one, I don't think I'd have more than one in a sitting. That said, it's an enjoyable ale and one that will get you talking.

kpantz, Mar 25, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Since the release of Oaked Bastard in the 12 ounce bottle I have drank alot of Bastard. The beer was served in a Imperial Nonic.

Appearance: The beer has a dark coppery amber coloration. The head is a creamy biege coloration. The head was two fingers high and resolved to a thin creamy foam. The beer left thick lacing behind on my glass.

Smell: The beer has very pleasing pine and earthy hops. These combine well with toasted caramel and vanilla oak. This is a much more restrained Bastard than I remember.

Taste: The beer has pine resin hops cutting across the flavor. The ber also has a load of caramel and vanilla maltyness. The finish is slightly earthy and bitter. This is dam good stuff!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is slightly bigger than medium bodied. The beer has a very creamy finish. This is a very drinkable and tasty beer. This is one Bastard who is always welcome in my house!

nlmartin, Mar 12, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a slightly hazy deep mahogany-red color. Creates a tight, pillowy 1/2" beige head with strong retention. Patterns of thick lacing adhere to the sides of the snifter.

Aromas in general were surprisingly restrained for such a complex beer. However, pleasant notes of pine and hops resin, oak, earth, toffee and some faint vanilla waft gently up from the glass.

Mouthfeel starts very smooth and creamy with a soft carbonation level. Goes down with a slight oily texture.

Flavor much bolder than the aroma. Very complex and nuanced. Initally notes of sweet caramel malts, brown sugar, vanilla bean and buckwheat honey greet the tongue. This is very quickly replaced with a very agressive grapefruit rind and wood tannin-like bitterness which immediately deletes any sense of lingering sweetness. I like hops but felt more of a sugary malt contribution would have balanced the flavors out better.

Finishes dry and crisp with a long, lingering bitterness. For only 7.2% this beer is a mouthfull.

macster, Mar 07, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

The Arrogant Bastard that happened to be Oaked poured a beautiful dark copper/amber hue with a think khaki colored head. Lace stuck to the glass throughout the entire tasting. I really thought this would have a powerful overwhelming smell, but to me, this was quite subtle. The smell is much more malty/oaky than the normal Bastard. Maybe because it's because I'm a hophead that the odor doesn't stand out to me. Taste is absolutely amazing, mild bitter hops bite the tongue but is quickly diminished by the wonderful malty/vanilla oak flavors. The feel is quite smooth with a much more carbonated feel to it than I had anticipated. Very drinkable brew, I was quite pleased with not nearly as much bite as Arrogant Bastard. I have always been a big fan of the original Bastard and have never had much experience in oaked brews, but I actually prefer this over the original because of its drinkability. I plan on experiencing more oaked brews thanks to Stone. Definitely give this one a try if you have the chance.

BeerTruth, Mar 07, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard pours a hazy mahogany color with a two fingered size creamy light tan head on top. The foam dissolves slowly down to a thin sheet on the beer leaving behind thick clumps of netted lace on the glass. An mild aroma of oak, with hoppy notes of apricot and orange citrus hovers over the beer.

This medium to full bodied beer is soft on the palate and slightly chewy with a light fizz on the tip of the tongue. The flavor begins a bit fruity with some apricot notes. Hoppy flavors of orange citrus quickly take over and there's a presence of caramel malt balancing out the hops. Throughout each sip is a presence of oak that helps soften all the hops. The beer finishes dry leaving behind some citrus hop flavors.

I thought this beer was well balanced and not nearly has hoppy as the regular arrogant bastard. The aroma was a bit more mild than I thought it would be. Otherwise a very tasty brew.

WanderingFool, Mar 07, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2006 12 oz bottle

A- cloudy brick red w/ a two finger thick and fluffy beige head, great hold on the head

S- pine and citrus can be smelled around the room at first pour, toffee, toasted malts, molasses

T- strong bitterness throughout, metallic at first, burnt wood, grassy, citrus, pine, wood flavor creeps during the middle and then comes forward at finish, toasted malts, malt sweetness up front then hop bitterness slices right in

M- smooth but hops beat down on the palette, alcoholic heat in after, dry finish

D- i honestly thought this brew would be over hyped, but it seriously knocked my socks off, one of my new favorite brews, recommended

tonistruth, Mar 04, 2007
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.