Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2006 12 oz bottle

A- cloudy brick red w/ a two finger thick and fluffy beige head, great hold on the head

S- pine and citrus can be smelled around the room at first pour, toffee, toasted malts, molasses

T- strong bitterness throughout, metallic at first, burnt wood, grassy, citrus, pine, wood flavor creeps during the middle and then comes forward at finish, toasted malts, malt sweetness up front then hop bitterness slices right in

M- smooth but hops beat down on the palette, alcoholic heat in after, dry finish

D- i honestly thought this brew would be over hyped, but it seriously knocked my socks off, one of my new favorite brews, recommended

tonistruth, Mar 04, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

It has been a few months since I had this last, and the time has really changed the flavor profile. Not neccessarily improved nor deteriorated, just... different.

Pours out a pretty bland, murky, muddy tawny color, but with good lacing and a nicely layered dirty head.

Thoughout, there is a balance of sweet layered malts, highlighted at this point by a nice chewy choco-caramel, replacing the apricots of a few months ago. Good bitterness, never abrasive or even up-front. Just a perfect balance and compliment to the malt.

I have no idea how someone could say that this is "no different" than the regular AB, especially when this beer bears only a superficial reseblance to its own incarnation of a few months ago. Vastly more balanced and layered. Again, not better, just... different.

unklesyd, Mar 03, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Thick, full caramel head that holds nicely. Bright red/copper color, opaque but not cloudy.

S - Spice and malt flavors are strong. A much darker smell than non-oaked Bastard - still strong but not a sweet.

T - Now this is a bitter beer. Man. This is difficult to express. Tastes just wonderful, but it's hard to drink. Oak is most prominent at the end, leaving a wonderful smoky aftertaste. I wonder if it isn't my ignorance toward this style of beers that is making this difficult - I believe this is my first oaked beer. Lots of hops up front but that oak is already doing it's work - it's like a heavy, muffled taste. This beer is making me think and now 2/3 of the way through I'm still finding new things. Incredible

M - Very heavy and chewy mouthfeel. This beer fights back.

D - Now I don't know how to review this. You want to drink this beer - it is delicious. But it's strong and big and I will be more than content with this 12oz bottle. It's not all that drinkable, but I think that's kinda the point.

FuzzyGuy84, Mar 03, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -25%

I tried a regular Arrogant Bastard about a year ago, and found myself not worthy. So, a year later, when I saw the Oaked AB, I thought I'd give it another shot, to see if my tastes had changed.

Well, they may have changed but I still don't care for the beer that much. Aside from a very, very slight hint of vanilla in the nose, I didn't find much oakiness in this beer.

Looked good, aromas were definite hop bomb, flavor was very bitter but not much else.

As much as I loved the Double Bastard Ale, I guess I'll never care much for it's little brother, oaked or not.

doppelmeup, Mar 02, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

This is my last bottle of some I bought in November. I've had 5 over the course of a few months and I haven't noticed a change. You know, after all of the talk of this beer, I didn't really think it was much different or better than the normal Arrogant Bastard. With that said, it's still a really good beer. I guess the issue is that it's about twice the price and is (or was) somewhat rare.
The oak aging gives it a cloudy look and it feels like a thicker texture, but compared to oak aged stouts and porters, I didn't really pick up a lot of new flavor nuances. There might be some vanilla in there, but the hops don't seem to blend with it, but more cover it up.
I think some of the hops and alcohol have mellowed out a little bit to make it more drinkable, but beyond that it's not that different. The hops are still the star of the show. I think I might pick up some different flavors in the taste, but they're subtle to the point that I can't identify them.
Maybe a taste test between this and normal AB would serve me well, but right now it's just a mellowed out version of a beer I already like.
If you can't find this beer, I'd suggest going after the normal Arrogant Bastard. It's a little more harsh, but the color's nicer.

(EDIT) After trying this on tap, I have to say that it's WORLDS better. A nearly masterpiece actually.

Domingo, Feb 28, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -4%

Last of a six pack of twelve ouncers.

Red amber color, excellent clarity, topped by a fist worth of bone-china colored froth.

Oak nose, with a bit of fresh bread. Nice, but not big.

Juicy semi-sweet malt spills across the tongue. Surprisingly quick hop bite before the oak rises to the top and rides the beer into the swallow and on to the aftertaste.

Good solid medium-plus mouthfeel. Good drinkability, particularly if you like "oak".

The impression I get is that the oak wood chips nullified the hops, removing the wonderous abrasiveness of "plain ol' Arrogant Bastard". Still a good beer, but I vastly prefer the original.

RonfromJersey, Feb 27, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint. Big thanks to kidadam for the hook up!

A: Pours a murky orange-brown color. Large, three finger, khaki colored head. Ample lace.

S: Grapefruit, wood, and cork aromas. Nice interplay between the citrusy hops and the oak.

T: Bitter citrus hops that are countered by a lightly sweet maltiness. The malt also takes a turn from sweet to toasted and leads straight into the flavors of oak. The oak is a compelling addition to this beer. It takes off some of the "rawness" that is very prevalent in the standard Arrogant Bastard.

M: Much smoother than standard AB. Spicy on the tongue and the hops have a pleasant resinous quality.

D: I found this to be a more enjoyable version of AB. The addition of oak chips sands off a lot of the raggedness of AB making it even more drinkable.

GbVDave, Feb 26, 2007

First of two 12oz bottles from a trade with grub. Great beer, thanks Russ!

Poured into a Church Key pint glass. Very nice, rich brown with ruby highlights and a half-inch eggshell head. Fascinating aroma; starts with a heavy hit of spicy, piney hops, which is immediately followed by a good whiff of vanilla, damp wood, and earth.

Taste is very well balanced, with more of the previously mentioned flavours plus a little more citrus hops. Surprisingly sweet aftertaste, probably from the "oak-ing". Solid mouthfeel, and very drinkable at this ABV.

I liked this a lot -- similar to the original AB, but different enough to make it worth seeking out on it's own. Looking forward to the 2nd bottle, but I'll save it for a while.

crwills, Feb 25, 2007

Thanks to jhammerly for this 12oz bottle.

Pours a dark opaque brown with a frothy two finger head that fades slowly to a soapy cap and ring. The lacing is thick, and very sticky.

Smell; citric hops are present just as they are in the regular Bastard, and the oaky vanillin aromas come out nicely. There's also a nice caramel malt backround in there as well.

Taste; citric hops and caramel malts almost compete a bit for dominance in there, with the hops coming out slightly ahead. The oak and vanilla flavors are definitely present, and really tone down the "Arrogance" of the regular beer. While this is a really good beer, personnally I prefer the regular Arrogant Bastard to this version.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability; the mouthfeel on this one is medium to full bodied with a bit of a drying effect that I assume is from the oak. The drinkability is really good.

RedHaze, Feb 22, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a chalice at 50 degrees.

A - Pours a cloudy, orange-tinted, medium-brown color with a 2-inch, off-white head. Good amount of carbonation. Truly a beautiful color.

S - Much different than I anticipated. Caramelized malt with a strong hop presence backed up by orange and piney notes. Hmm...

T - Definitely a noticable difference from the regular AB. Not as hoppy as the aroma hinted, but a slight bitterness was still present. Oaked flavors come out, met by vanilla, raisins, & plums...caramel malt still a strong flavor. Very nice, but I was expecting more wood flavors.

M - Very strong finish...body is a little thinner than I would have liked, but still a strong aftertaste.

D - I enjoyed this very much, and I can definitely see myself drinking more than one in a setting. I need to have a side-by-side sampling with the regular Arrogant Bastard to declare an outright winner.

JohnnyM2002, Feb 21, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap! @ Sierra Grille in Northampton, MA

Served in a snifter glass for four American dollars, can't go wrong with that. I find oaked aged beers to have a watery, or thin appearance, this one was no exception. Not quite the beast in appearance as it's descendent, but a hell of a lot more complex. Crazy notes of Riesling, and sherry rich mellowness on the tongue. Warming on through the nose, with a cracking scotch-like inhalation.

As time as gone on Stone beers have leveled a bit for me. The BA hype, the reality that it's a nationwide "micro", and a ridiculous fanatic fan base, have all been factors. This one, however, lives up to the hype.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Feb 17, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

One of the many 12oz bottles I purchased. The color is identical to arrogant bastard as is the color and quality of the head. Dark red-orange and almost brown. The smell is hoppy and very nice. I think I smell caramel also. The taste is also slightly similar to regular bastard but smoother. I am not sure if I can taste the oak but this definitely tastes awesome. The mouthfeel might be the best part; very creamy. If you like Arrogant Bastard you should definitely get your hands on this stuff (if you can).

ArrogantB, Feb 16, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Very similar to regular Arrogant Bastard with its garnet hue, big off-white head and nice sticky lacing. There is, perhaps, more of a touch of brown around the edges of the glass.

S- Sweet hoppy goodness! Hops hit you first with citrus and pine notes. The malt is also very present as caramel aromas abound. The malt and hops combine with fruity esters and perhaps a touch of vanilla to form a very nice aroma.

T- Mmm, definitely a bit different than regular Bastard. Big malt and hop flavors are there, but their intensity is somewhat muted. The bitterness, likewise, is not as strong, although not weak by any means. Definite oaky, vanilla tones on the finish, which are quite pleasant.

M- Great mouthfeel. I think this is the area that was improved the most by the oak aging. Incredibly smooth, even a bit creamy. Exceptional.

D- Pretty high due to its smoothness. Alcohol is a bit high and it's certainly not a session beer. Other than that, it's great. I'd have a couple.

There aren't really any striking differences between this and regular Arrogant Bastard. What differences exist are pretty subtle. I can't really say it's an improvement, but it's certainly very good in its own right. Not one that I'd have as a regular even if it was more available (and cheaper). It's still definitely worth checking out, especially for Bastard fans. Recommended.

vtfan77, Feb 15, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has a dark red hue and a dark cream colored head that lasts for a while...at least 15 minutes. It wasn't thick at all at that point, but still there. It has a good strong piney and malty aroma. The beer is fairly creamy feeling, and then the hop flavor hits. It is a little too hoppy for my tastes, but definitely within style.

drseamus, Feb 14, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

piney wood aroma, subtle. vibrant rust color, vaguely cloudy with cream head. sweet roasty malt with hoppy bitterness. smooth creamy bite, with lasting hangtime. earthy organic feel. begins in the nose and finishes in the back of the throat, and pleasurable through out.

kevinhulit, Feb 14, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date - served on 2/1/07. It pours a very mildly hazed crimson with a two inch, pitted khaki head that leaves rings of lace. It smells of pineapple, sweet mango, grapefruit, guava, caramel?, and some toasted malts. It has a medium to high bitterness with lots of tropical hops on the palate, contributing mango, guava, papaya, pineapple, and white grapefruit, with piney/green notes appearing later. In addition there are toasted/caramel malts and oak that is more of a presence than an actual flavor, along with perhaps some vanilla. The body is medium to thick with medium carbonation and a tannic dryness that begins light but becomes stronger, and it leaves a long finish. It is pretty drinkable, but perhaps I was expecting more. It is still a good beer, and one that utilizes hops nicely. I tried it on-tap while in Boston for the EBF and found the oak presence to be stronger and the beer perhaps even more drinkable than the bottled version.

mmmbeer, Feb 13, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Looks like the bastard I think I know, with a ruddy body and some nice spidery lacing pushing itself around the glass. A lot of nice thin and spread out spots begin to form with some sips, which makes it better.

Smell: Apricot and fruity sweetness dominate, I think, from the oak chips. The aroma, however, is completely floral, vanilla, citrus hops, cream, strawberry, woodiness, smoke, and the end aroma of slightly toasted malt.

Taste: I love what the oak does to this as far as balance: apricot dominates, with some strawberry, vanilla, cream, woodiness, slight smoke, slight roasted chocolate, a bit of citrus and lemongrass, and the finish initially dominated by hops into a long finish where the creaminess lingers with the fruit slowly behind, lingering on the tongue with a tinge of bitter hops before the apricot dominates at the finish, along with some oakiness, breadiness, slight chocolate, and cream making it an ultimately, and surprisingly unsuspecting, dessert beer. For real? That's what I'm getting.

Mouthfeel: Maybe it's the complexity of the brew, but I feel like there's too much carbonation right now, albeit just a bit. It's not bad with everything else that's going on, and it doesn't take away from it that much, but who knows, maybe some years could do great things.

Drinkability: Even though this is chips instead of barrel, they're certainly doing a lot for the beer, and improving upon a beer that's already pretty fantastic. Don't let anyone tell you that it's the barrel way or the highway. Sorry, silly joke. At any rate, this is a fantastic beer that, even in its greenness, has improved a great deal, or has even discovered some unforseen beautiful things along the way. In my opinion, worth the high price tag, even if it is around $15 for a six pack. I was a skeptic, but right now I'm a believer.

asabreed, Feb 12, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Bottle courtesy of HogTown Harry via trade- much thanks Harry! I poured the twelve ounce bottle into a tumber- looks similar to normal AB- a little cloudy, deep caramel with an off white. Also smells typical AB, sweet, but the wood is noticable. Taste is just fantastic- in your face hoppy, but with a great malt backbone and the oakey flavour. The oak is defintely there- but not overpowering. It reminded me of the oak in Old Yeti. I think it really matches well with the style of AB. Mouthfeel is of a great body, medium carbonation and bitter/woody finish. I could drink many of these- but alas this is my only bottle. A great treat, that even the wife thought was delicious (who would have thunk it?). A great beer from Stone

oakbluff, Feb 12, 2007

--2006 Vintage--

A: Pours a hazy, reddish brown. Thick, off white head that lasts until mid glass.

S: Sweet and fruity with subtle hints of vanilla. Malt aroma dominates. However, a citrusy hop smell balances nicely.

T: Complex, caramel malt flavors with slight hints of fruit, vanilla, and oak. Citrusy and spicy hop flavors round everything out. Finishes dry, almost astringent. A little too dry in my opinion, though still excellent. Aging this might mellow it out perfectly.

M: Medium bodied with perfect level of carbonation. Very smooth and balanced. Excellent mouthfeel.

D: Higher ABV prevents this from being a session beer, but it's very drinkable nonetheless. Great balance definitely helps. I'd love to see what a year in the cellar does to this brew. A side by side comparison with the standard Arrogant Bastard is a must, also.

BassAssassin, Feb 11, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

From 12oz bottle. Painfully descriptive as always.
Pours with a tapioca coloured head, a thick outside rim would stay, also leaves thick sheets of lacing. A very sullied, fairly dark, ruby coloured body. Plenty of different shades are showcased in the light. A vineous, resiny, hop addled aroma. A good blend of hops, the oak very present. Drinkability exceptional, even with the higher alchohol percentage I could see drinking this all night. The oak very ripe in the mouthfeel. Nice sticky aftertaste that lingers. Offers great complexity in the taste. Slightly sweet notes, really smooth malts. Grew even smoother as it warms - certainly let this one warm, allow the flavours to really come out.
Thanks for another incredible beer Dr.Jay!

biegaman, Feb 11, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Bottle courtesy of Beerandblues2: Poured a dark brown color ale with a nice medium brown foamy head with good retention. Aroma of citrus hops with some nice caramel malt. Taste is sweeter then expected with lots of caramel malt and a medium bitter finish with some citrusy hops. Body is definitely above average with some medium carbonation. I thought the oak presence was quite subtle and overall this is more reminiscent to a barleywine then an American Strong Ale but enjoyable nonetheless.

Phyl21ca, Feb 09, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours nice, a good orange-gold sort of look about it. A dark-cream head is a bit thin, likely due to my bad pour into a pint glass.

S: Has a unique, almost-apple scent about it, certainly not an off-putting aroma. A good deal more enticing than many similar beers I've tried.

T: Hot Dog, we have a wiener. A brisk beer with enough complexity to lend an interesting taste without being overly hoppy (I'm not a huge hop head, for point of disclosure). Some slight vanilla aftertaste, possibly from the oak.

M: Feels great, not too harsh but it's got enough bite to remind your that you're drinking a real beer with a slightly elevated ABV. Will not overwhelm you, even after a couple of pints.

D: You can drink this all day long, period. A solid, balanced beer that will appeal to both beer enthusiasts and casual drinkers alike. Try using this to ween your friends onto more adventurous beers.

monkeynaut, Feb 08, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard
12 oz bottle
Medium pour in an English pint
Recent brewing, argued over 02/07

Poured a hazy ruddy brown with a large mostly lacing beige yellowish frothy head with good lacing.

Smelt of strong fresh pineapple, mango, and other tropical fruit, some light oak and caramel.

Taste was upfront strong bittersweet grapefruit and light fruit punch sweetness followed by a strong roasted grain and oak bitter taste with some light fruity sweetness on a long bitter hops finish. Palate was medium bodied, watery yet a bit oily, softly carbonated and moderately astringent.

Overall, the aroma is divine. The flavor delivers, and, although surprisingly light on the palate, it balances out the strong flavors. By far my favorite of the arrogant bastard variations.

xav33, Feb 04, 2007
4.2/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm quite surprised by how different the oak chips have made my beloved bastard. Thanks to Zorro for the bottles.

The beer pours to a very dark nutty brownish ruby color. Plenty of creamy off-white head, and excellent retention. Lacing sticks to the glass quite well. Very little apparent carbonation.

The smell is great. Huge berry and vanilla oakiness. It damn near dulls the perception of any other aromas. Only a feint hint of the intense chinook hoppiness of the the regular bastard. Has a creamy, malty aroma hidden beneath the oak chips as well. Quite a different beast (or bastard), indeed.

The taste is great. Not quite as much of the rough cohumulone chinnook bitterness of the original bastard, but in exchange it has extract a rough tannic astringency from the oak chips. I like it, however. The oak also imparts a more of a berry-like fruitiness not present in the regular. Smooth and creamy malt flavors up front followed by a strong vanilla bean character and a well rounded lingering hops flavor. Lots of tannins in the finish, as well as a bit of a piny bitterness and chocolate. A hint of smoke as well. Perhaps they charred the oak chips?

The body is fairly full and creamy. The carbonation has been smoothed out a bit. The tannins from the oak are a bit harsh, however. Drinkability suffers as a result. It would be a real treat to drink it every once in a while, and it is easily more complex and interesting than the regular bastard, but four out of five times, I would probably opt to drink the regular. That being said, I am very stoked by this beer.

neonbrown82, Feb 03, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Let's see what some oak chips do to my AB.
12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter glass

A - Nice deep red mahogany/chestnut wood colored brew with about a finger of tan head. Leaves nice lacing rings.

S - Smell does have some vanilla character, obviously imparted from the wood over that harsh AB smell. Smells nice, giving it a fruitier aroma than the original AB. The smell overall is more subdued. is that a plus or minus? Neither, but a different, aofter smell.

T - The oak has imparted a woody, roasted flavor to the brew. In addition, the flavor has mellowed somewhat, making the AB a little less aggressive. Definitely a pleasant/different experience.

M - Nice full, creamy body.

D - Interesting to say the least. A nice sipper to relax with.

Notes: Pretty damn good. Not better than AB, not worse than AB, simply a brew with some subtle changes. Shows what adding some wood can do for a beer.

EStreet20, Feb 03, 2007
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.