Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Callenak

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Had this twice now. Once about a year ago out of a 3L my neighbor bought and then again recently out of the new 12oz bottles.

Pours a very deep brown with a small white head that fades quickly. Haven't had it side by side with regular AB, but I'm sure they are about right on in color.

Smell is actually hop first. Was expecting the oak and alcohol, but Stone's lust for hops comes first I guess. A little roastiness comes through with the oak.

Taste is also hop forward (not a bad thing). The oak is very subdued compared to some of my recent offerings of oak aged beers. I'm a big fan of such, and was hoping for more in this. The normal arrogant bastard alcohol kick is also there

I was a fan of this beer the first time I had it. It was a while ago but I swear I remember there being more oak to it. Maybe a year of aging might take the hoppiness away and leave more of the oak. Wasn't sure how old that 3L I had was. I always though that oak is exactly what AB was missing (which is bold to say it's missing anything though). I guess I though it would compliment it very well. I'll hold on to some of these and re-visit next winter.

12-04-2006 23:13:24 | More by Callenak
treedoctor5002

Pours a brownish red color with a small head that sticks around a while then disappears as you drink it. Smell is mild with a slight woody odor. Taste is solid, but it doesn't jump out at you. Very hoppy with a nice bitterness to it. Mouthfeel is medium. Overall a good beer. If given the choice between the Oaked and the regular bastard I'd choose the more fruity Arrogant bastard.

12-04-2006 22:45:30 | More by treedoctor5002
shirfan

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

A thick, sticky pillow of foam sits atop a dark copper brew, absolutely refusing to disperse.

Malty aroma, whole-grain toastbread, hints of orange and tangerine.

Taste is excellent. A strong, juicy citric hops presense is perfectly tempered by moderately sweet malt. Fresh-baked bread notes give way to some bittering, leaves just enough pucker without being excessive. Oak is present in the background, as is a slightly mineral flavor, imparting further character into an already excellent brew.

As good as this is, I'm glad I opted for a single 12 oz bottle rather than an $18 sixer. The oak is interesting, but it doesn't make an already awesome brew that much more exceptional.

12-03-2006 18:42:53 | More by shirfan
weeare138

3.4/5  rDev -19%

Appears a near transparent auburn toned amber with a fluffy, ivory head that slowly fades into a dense, soapy cap. Tons of hearty, scattered lace sticks around the glass.
Smell is of caramel, flowers, mild grapefruit, pineapple, light vanilla, earthy spiciness, and gentle oak tannins that may have been missed had I not known oak chips were added to the mix. Aromas were lighter than anticipated.
Taste is spicy, sweet caramel, overly bitter of grapefruit along with gentle woody tannin flavor.
Mouthfeel is astringent, bitter, medium bodied, sweet, with the balance being out of wack and very little evidence of the American Oak.
Drinkability...I'm not believing the hype with this one. This may be one of the most over-rated beers I've seen on this site IMHO. I'm just not feeling it..."I'm not worthy."

12-03-2006 02:59:08 | More by weeare138
merlin48

Kentucky

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Much anticipated bottle here, $17.00 a sixpack at the Liquor Barn stores in Louisville. I've passed up the 3 liter magnum bottle(with lock and key) several times the past three years because of price. So, the 12 oz bottle pours a hazed chestnut body with a small light beige head that quickly falls into a film. Some spiderweb lace dresses the snifter.

Aroma opens with citrusy grapefruit and pine cone notes, not unlike the unoaked version. Caramel malt whiffs are noted before the woody oak essence takes charge.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated. The oak imparts some sawdust chalkiness.

Taste largely mirrors the aromas. Bitter citrus rind and spruce pine hops, a hint of caramel, and a touch of vanilla. The oak chips lend more of an astringent feel of sawdust than vanilla and soft wood, however. Even at room temperature, this finishes somewhat abrasive and overly woody.

I would rate the original Bastard higher than this. Stone has some attractive pricing on many of their excellent offerings, but I'll pass on this one next time.

12-02-2006 19:57:29 | More by merlin48
tjthresh

Indiana

3.15/5  rDev -25%

Same cough syrup red color with a decent tan head. I honestly do see my difference between this the the regular stuff. Lots of spicey and piney hop aroma. Huge bitterness. Long agressive finish. The oak here is subtle at best. For some reason, I am enjoying this more that the regular bottle I had a couple of weeks ago.

12-02-2006 18:01:11 | More by tjthresh
cbl2

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

12/1/2006 $8.99 6 pack 7.20% No best by date, though this is 2006 release.

Appearance:

Pours a slightly hazy medium brown, speckled with plenty of orange. Topped by a ridiculous 3 inches of creamy tan foam that is very slow to settle. Looks like I'm going to have to wait to enjoy this.

Aroma:

Sweet muscat grape aroma coupled with a hint of oaked chardonnay. This was made with American oak wood chips, and it definitely imparts a wine-like nature to the nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Smooth syrupy viscous mouthfeel is accompanied by a touch of hot alcohol and some blisteringly bitter hop oils, with pine-like resin flavor characteristics. I've never loved Arrogant Bastard, but was hoping the oak imparted some quality that would raise this up, much like whatever Stone did to Double Bastard, that makes that such an exceptional beer. That quality is lacking in the Oaked, and though it is better than straight up Arrogant Bastard, it still isn't good enough for me to recommend.

12-01-2006 20:26:33 | More by cbl2
Bighuge

2.98/5  rDev -29%

Hazed dark mahogany/ruby red appearance. Thin and bubbly dirty white head. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is all that goodness I remember from AB with just a hint of woodiness in the aroma. That pineapple tropical fruit melange brings back memories. I also get a little caramel/nougat thing going on. Taste is fairly bitter and actually a little harsh and abrasive. I'm not sure I like the effect of the oak chips here. Cuz I remember loving the hell out of the real thing. I think the chips bring a little astringency to the mix. I don't dig the aftertaste at all. All that tropical fruit goodness that I remember takes a backseat now unfortunately. To the over-riding oak chip quality. Too much for my liking.

I guess they're right about this one. I'm NOT worthy.

Thanks for the brew Darren.

11-30-2006 04:34:54 | More by Bighuge
delicious

Vermont

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

A clear dark ruby body beneath a frothy beige head is poured from a 12fl.oz. bottle.
It has a citrus, ruby-red grapefruit and concord grape nose.
It tastes juicy and bitter, like overestimating a bite out of a grapefruit and grabbing an immoderate amount of rind. There's an initial malt sensation, but it quickly subsides as the hop flavor grows and finishes bitter and dry at the end. I don't want to call it subtle or mellow because there isn't anything delicate about it, but the flavor progresses slowly enough that the drinker is not overwhelmed by the striking level of hops; it's like an Arrogant Bastard in slow motion.

11-30-2006 03:35:37 | More by delicious
peabody

Kentucky

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours out like really dark ice tea with a small amount of the white stuff.
Smell is fruity and hoppy. Orange and plum and piney hops mixed with a slight sugary aroma.
Taste is very bitter with a caramely sweetness that lingers for a while ending in just the bitterness of the dark bitter hop. Almost like an apple drink with a bitter aftertaste. Really nice.
Mouthfeel is very clean and the hops/oak seem to make the tounge .go through all kinds of changes during the sip.
Drinkability is high here if you like the hop/oak. It is really nice.
I could drink a bunch of these if they didn't cost so much.

11-30-2006 03:33:50 | More by peabody
jamie2dope

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

I have been trying to track a down a six pack of this beer for a good solid month now, and finally I came acrss it tonight. Pours a lovely ruby red coloration, with a nice sticky white lacing that holds well through the course of the glass. At first musky grain was the only smell I was getting, but after letting it warm up a bit, I picked up on some nice peach and nectarine smells. Taste was big on hops up front, followed by the fruit characters in the background. There was also a certain bitter rye taste after swallowing, mixed with lingering warm alcohol. This is a pretty big beer to be honest, at least on the palate. I was a bit surprised that the alcohol content wasn't a bit higher. I could sit down with a six pack of these and probably finish them off in a night. Having said that, it was much mroe ejoyable sipping this one, and letting it warm a bit to get the full range of flavors and aromas. I must admit that I've never really liked the unoaked Arrogant Bastard, but this one hit the spot with me. I didn't really pick up on the oak addition, but none the less, I liked it alot. Definitely recommended if you can find it.

11-29-2006 23:27:56 | More by jamie2dope
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

One of several 12 oz. bottles I bought from the 2006 release; poured to a standard pint glass. Silkscreened bottle label includes a defintion of "Arrogance" and an "Enjoy by" date of 01.19.07.

A: Chestnut brown w/ruby highlights. Clear with a small light tan head and decent lace.

S: Spicy sweet smell with bountiful hops and a notable oak smell. Savory.

T: Gigantic hops - drippy, resinous and potent. Smoky oak barrel aging is subtle, with a pungent and tannic flavor of sappy wood chips. Bitterness is balanced but notable.

M: Hoppy backbone, spicy and piney. Sweet finish with a full mouthfeel. Hops overpower the malts.

D: A fine beer but not one I'd drink everyday. I'd imagined this would be 'amazing' and instead it's just 'very good' with hints of oak-aging. Still I would drink this again, many times over. Try this (if you can find some) and enjoy!

11-29-2006 00:18:55 | More by msubulldog25
BradBLR

4.2/5  rDev 0%

This beer poured a deep dark brown, almost root beer colored. With a slightly brownish white head that did not last very long at all. There was a fair amount of lacing, but the beer almost look flat when you poured it, but it was not flat at all. The smell was a slightly oak malt smell with a hint of nuttiness.

The taste of this beer was very good a nutty malty flavor with a nice balance of hops and a really nice hint of smoke. This beer had a nice mouthfeel with the CO2 being perfect and slight thickness to it. Also this beer was very smoothe with a nice bite at the end.

Another great beer from Stone and I really enjoyed getting this beer in a 12 oz. bottle. Worth a try if you are a fan of regular Arrogant Bastard.

11-27-2006 20:42:20 | More by BradBLR
GPHarris

Alabama

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz. bottle

a - poured a tan two fingers thick head into a tumbler. body is reddish-brown with a slight haziness. head retention is great leaving nice lace and sheeting.
s - oak with a slight pine hoppiness.
t - very hoppy in the front, vanilla maltiness in the middle and the oak comes through at the finish.
m - really dances on the tongue. good carbonation.
d - nice brew, the first time i had this i loved it and this seems to not have the same punch. the first time i had it it had been aged a while and i am planning on doing the same with the others that came with this six pack. i also need to do a side by side with the regular AB to get a good comparison.

11-27-2006 15:34:39 | More by GPHarris
Litterbean

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a dark red/orange with a fluffy off-white head.

The smell is dominated by the hops. The oakiness (is that word?) is muted in the nose but it's there, beyond the pungent hops. Very good smell, what one would expect from a Stone beer.

Taste is noticeably smoother than regular Bastard. The oak is indeed there in the taste. A nice woody, vanilla flavor is blended with the bitter, citrusy hops. The malts are sweet and the aftertaste leaves the faint lingerings of oak on the tongue. A fine beer.

11-27-2006 04:16:13 | More by Litterbean
Naes

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

This oaked bastard pours murky brown in color with a thick light tan head.
The smell is very similar to the regular arrogant bastard, but with a slight sense of oak. It’s mostly fruity and citrus hop aromas.
The flavor begins with some caramel malt, then moves to citrus and piney hops with a slight alcohol presence. The oak is mostly present in the aftertaste.
Mouth fell is medium in body, creamy and moderately carbonated.
Another winner from stone.

11-27-2006 01:24:14 | More by Naes
biking4beer

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Deep ruby brown. Pours a light, frothy, and brown one finger head. Nice lacing.

Smells of caramel malts, orange citrus, and slight pine comes through as it warms.

Taste. Whoa. Not what I was expecting. Good grapefruit bitterness. Slight caramel. No alcohol to speak of like with regular AB.

This is a nice smooth beer that coats the mouth well. Good even carbonation. However, it's super bitter(in a good way) and one at a time is probably enough.

I'm not a big fan of regular AB, but this is one tasty beer. The oak aging advertisement is misleading. I was expecting the typical flavors from oaking, but this one is much more bitter than regular AB. So much so that it overwhelms much of the other flavors. I would like to get ahold of one of these that has had some cellar time to see if it makes it more balanced.

11-26-2006 19:53:38 | More by biking4beer
BBM

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Had a chance to finally try the Arrogant Bastard. This time, oaked. The beer pours a deep brown with ruby highlights. A thin white head rests atop it. The aroma is exquisite. Dark fruits, big hops, and oak scent, all blend together for a wonderful nose.

The taste is just as goodas the smell. Complex hops hit the palate first; certainly dark fruits, pine, and floral. Then the malt backbone comes through to balance out the flavor, followed by a slightly bitter finish. Thoughout the beer there is an oak/woody taste that just compliments it perfectly. What a wonderfully complex and interesting beer.

Mouthfeel is full, but the finish is a little dry. Highly drinkable. Highly reccomended. I shouldn't have had this one before the original, because there's no where for this beer to go but down. An absolutely outstanding brew.

11-25-2006 14:02:26 | More by BBM
isaac

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev +9%

12 oz. to snifter:

A - Dark, almost opaque brown, somewhat dull. creamy, fingered-head that quickly faded to light lacing.

S - Oily, juicy, wonderful hops with a bit of alcohol and mild sweetness.

T - Bitter. Starts off creamy then fades into mint, followed closely by piney hops and citrus. finish is a big hops and alcohol punch to the gullet. Oh, yeah, and throughout is the constant presence of slight oak and woodiness.

M - Nice, medium to thick body. Pairs well with taste.

D - High. I loved this beer, especially as it warmed up.

11-25-2006 02:06:04 | More by isaac
PhiloPsych

This beer is really fantastic! It is smoother, cleaner, and more drinkable--just a tad less harsh--than the regular Arrogant Bastard. The color is great, the head is beautiful, too. Seriously the best beer I have ever had. For my taste, this beer is perfect!! I look forward to making this my annual Thanksgiving treat.

11-25-2006 00:26:24 | More by PhiloPsych
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

3.08/5  rDev -26.7%

The six-packs have come!!!

Pours a fairly dark reddish/amber color with a nice light tan head that sticks around for a while. Terrific lacing to speak of as well.

Smell is of maltiness, some muted hints of oak, and spicy hops.

Taste is of biscuity malts up front and transforms into a huge rush of astringent and aspirin-like bitter hops. Huge notes of oakiness in the finish and some vanilla up front. Like the original Bastard, it isn't very smooth of a beer, which does negatively affect it.

Mouthfeel is very velvety with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is middle of the road. One or two 12oz bottles or a single bomber is enough for me. I actually prefer the original Arrogant Bastard to this, which I even feel is overrated a tad.

11-24-2006 23:42:56 | More by Doomcifer
chadspivey

4.45/5  rDev +6%

12 oz. bottle , thanks to witbier for the opportunity

A: pours a dark copper color with a two finger off' white head. Half-way through the glass, still a good 1/4 inch head.

S: smells just like regular Arrogant Bastard. Maybe small hints of oak, but that could be my sub-conscious. .

T: Very smooth and delicious. starts malty kind of piney in the middle. Bitterness at the end, complimented by hints of vannilla

M: very smooth. kinda creamy, pretty thick, alomost like a cask conditioned. really in my opinion, it's a perfect mouthfeel.

D: unbelievable. I'm almost finished with my glass, and I feel like I could drink this all night. Only have the one though... :(

Wow. This is truly a craft beer. The best beer i've had in a while. gotta get some more...

Some advice, don't just get a 12 oz., get something bigger. 12 oz. is just a tease.

11-24-2006 01:47:08 | More by chadspivey
briman

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours fairly dark, hazy, reddish amber color. Quarter-inch off-white head with decent retention. Moderate lacing.

Aroma is woody with caramel malt, and some mild to moderate pine & citrus hop notes.

Flavor is malty upfront with the hops starting to dominate through the middle. The finish is dry with a fairly strong grapefruit hop bitterness that lingers well into the finish. I get the vanilla notes more in the aftertaste than anywhere else. It seems to sneak out from behind the bitterness.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Balance is excellent. Alcohol is well hidden in the taste, with just a slight warming affect.
Just as intense as the regular version, with just a little bit more complexity.

11-23-2006 00:56:49 | More by briman
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured ruby red with a pillowy 2 fingers deep tan colored head. Great head retention & pretty good lacing

S: Rich biscuitty malt, then herbal & citrus hops move in. Smokeyness as it warms

T: Caramel, oakyness & dryness up front. Vanilla follows, along with herbal & citrus hops. Hints of cherry follow with some alcohol warming. Finishes dry, with hints of cherry & grapefruitty hops, that some how works

MF: Medium bodied, low carbonation & pretty good balance. Great smooth body

Drinks pretty easy, this is very tasty brew & somewhat complex, not sure I think this rates $16 a sixer though
(about $4-5 over priced IMO), a great, if overpriced beer from a brewery that usually is a pretty good value for the quality delivered

11-22-2006 06:47:34 | More by russpowell
GCBrewingCo

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

The beer poured into the glass lightly hazy amber golden with a tannish, tall and long lasting head which coated the glass from top to bottom.

The aroma was citrusy with a strong presence of grapefruits, oranges and also a grassy and resinous hop character. Malt was secondary to the hop aromatics and contained a sizable caramel presence.

The flavor was mellow and smooth by comparison to the aroma. With a tannin character imparted from the oak and a vanilla presence the hops became smooth as silk with a citrusy and still grassy presence, but smooth instead of aggressive and rough. The malt flavor of caramel was well done and kept the overwhelming flavor and bittering of the hops in check. The oak was well done as well and never overpowering.

The finish was dry with long lasting citrusy and grassy bittering into the aftertaste and beyond. The body was medium full and had a creamy character from the moderate level of carbonation. I can certainly see why this one is a favorite. The smooth flavor coupled with the assertive nose really leads to a winning combination.

12 ounce bottle.

11-21-2006 22:58:40 | More by GCBrewingCo
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.