Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

I have had this beer twice in my life, however, I wanted to relate an incident about this beer. A friend of mine was recently given a bottle of 1997 oaked arrogant bastard. This friend of mine is no where near being a purveyor of fine beers, as his favorite beer is Coors Light. Sadly to say, after drinking one drink of this magnificent ale, he was disgusted by its flavor and then he proceeded to pour it all down the drain. In reality, he should have poured himself down the drain instead. Obviously, when he told me this, I nearly flipped out and then I chastised him for his recklessness. His response; "Dude, it's only beer." What an ignoramous.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A: A deep red hue comes glowing out of the glass as if it is a beer from on tap right at the gates of hell. Not much of head to build from on this particular bottle.

S: The smell is amazing and the oak chips are not the first thing noticed but a malty smell and then Bam…..for some reason I am seeing a warm spiced pear dessert…..weird. Anyway, a full whiff brings in the oak chips and burnt/toasty nut smell.

T: The taste is awesome!! So much going on it is hard to explain and the aftertaste last for a very long time. The bitterness is just right and the alcohol feels so good when it touches your lips. Mmmm.

M: The brew traveled fine and the mouthfeel is good enough for me.

D: So happy I decided to try this one today. Will be looking forward to more Stone brews in the future. Definitely have to find this in the Midwest. Thanks to msbulldog25 for this brew!!

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark amber color with a modest head that drops to a film and dots the chalice with lace

Smell: Rich caramel aroma mixed with grapefruit hops; a touch of pith and pine and a hint of vanilla

Taste: Right off the bat, the grapefruit hops assualt the tastebuds but are immediately joined by caramel, vanilla, cinnamon and oak; by mid-palate and after the swallow, the hoppy flavors become even more pronounced and blast into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; a bit thinner than I would have expected

Drinkability: It is far easier to drink than one would expect for all of its arrogance

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

I assume this is from the 06 release, but I can't find a date for the life of me.

I'm not really sure how to review this beer. I can't taste any real oak/vanilla flavor in it. At first there wasn't even any arrogant bastard here. As it's warmed (I served it fairly warm to start with) I picked up on the bitter after taste of the normal bastard.

What you do get here is a much better balanced beer than the normal bastard. You get a nice cherry flavor to start and a strong hoppy bitterness at the end. A very smooth beer and you could chug if you wanted to (not at these prices though!) or really enjoy sipping on.

It has a great head, the color looks great. It's got a very nice complex smell.

Maybe I went into this beer expecting too much as I love oaked beers and I really enjoyed the standard AB (though imo it's slightly overrated). This beer is well worth trying even at the high prices but I'm not sure if I'd buy it again.

I expected a lot more flavor and a bit more complexity. My score is high enough to tsay this is a really good beer but I expected more, especially when this costs nearly 3 dollar per 12 oz bottle.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

The Oaked Bastard pours a deep hazy reddish amber with almost an inch of head, which dissipates at a moderate pace. Good looking beer. Smell is more balanced than a regular Bastard, citrus and piney hops are most prominent, but malt, grain, and yeast aromas are here too. Hints of cherry and caramel.

Does seem fruitier and more juicy than the standard Arrogant offering. The astringent, hoppy Chinook kick in the mouth is still here though, which is supported by the malty leather, oak/vanilla flavors. With the in-your-faceness of the Bastard somewhat muted, the subtleties that are revealed prove this to really be a superbly crafted world class ale.

Mouthfeel is decent, I like the juiciness, but have to take some off because of the high perceived astringency. Drinkability is good, better than the normal Bastard. I have a 3L bottle of 2005 Oaked AB waiting for me, so I hope the drinkability is damn good!

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A luscious slightly cloudy brown beer with a two inch light tan foamy head. This is a damned attractive looking beer.

Smell: Sweet malt, an almost raisney smell. I can detect a bit of oak in the nose, but it isn't overpowering.

Taste: A slight bitterness with a strong sweet note is detected on the first sip. As I drink the beer, the bitterness becomes more prominent. I think the oak flavor is related to the strengthening of the bitterness as I drink the beer. The initial flavor is good, but the oak is really overwhelming my palette. The flavor is good, but I would like a little more sweetness to compliment the oak, or less oak flavor.

Mouthfeel: Good, but it doesn't stand out as anything amazing. There is a good light carbonation and a nice rich thickness.

Drinkability: With the alcohol percentage coupled with the palette crushing oak drinking more then one 12 ounce bottle in a sitting won't happen. I will drink this beer again,but this is a one/night treat.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

from a BA trade with b0ldfacelies, 12oz. bottle poured into an Imperial Pint

A: Pours a bold, striking, vibrant reddish color featuring a huge, rocky off-white head. Like everything else about this beer, it makes a statement with its appearance.

S: Smells more like the best DIPAs on the planet, loads of fresh-baked cookie goodness, and a gorgeous roasted nutty quality makes this aroma a serious winner.

T/M: Again, bold is the word here. A blast of massively bitter grapefruit splashes your taste buds before giving way to the dark, roasted malt center. The grapefruit bitterness is joined by a long, aggressive piney finish. This beer doesn't so much get drank as it does ASSAULT your taste buds. Perfectly balanced carbonation makes it easy to wrestle with large gulps of this monster at a time.

D: If this beer wasn't so dang expensive, I'd buy it more often. It's ridiculously fun to drink, if not outright drinkable.

Highly recommended!

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

This has been in the cellar for about a year, and I figured something this low in ABV should be rotated out.

Poured into pint glass. Red, clear. Decent head. Not bottle conditioned.

Smell is is a nice mixture of of citrusy hops and sweet malt.

This beer has a malty rich, molasses flavor upfront. A drying hop aftertaste that seems to go along with the oaked chip infusion.

Mouthfeel is medium. I'd expect a younger version would feel thinner with a larger hop profile.

Overall drinkability of this beer is great. Almost a session beer. The 7.2% is almost unbelievable for a beer with this much flavor.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

Hazy, russet-brown with tawny influences; I like the color. Perfectly compacted and yet frothy beige head. At the apex the foam was slightly more than one finger tall. Head retention was excellent; the bubbles were slow to fade to a thick, soapy cap. However, the subsequent lacing was spotty and not all that noteworthy. Overall, the appearance is respectable but there was nothing memorable about it.

The nose is lovely. It was been a long while since I have had Arrogant Bastard and in my mind it has lost some of its luster for some reason. I began to think it was overrated (and it is to some degree). Well, after smelling this I have been reminded. I was wrong. Deep, romantic caramel, toffee and sweet maltiness; hints of dark fruits soaked in rum. Raisins, chocolate cake… a terrific boozy oak barrel quality arrives at the end. Hops are not as robust as I would have though. Sure, I can detect their bright zippy citrus and spruce notes, which I like. IMO, the nose seems more barleywine-like than DIPA. Moderate-high potency; very chatty and articulate… I love the nose! I can’t wait to take a sip.

In a word (or two): Damn tasty! I can’t believe this beer is only 7.2% ABV! It drinks much bigger (read: 12% ABV)! Big, boozy heat and lots of rum/vodka/bourbon flavors (but not overwhelming); big, prickly/bitter hops (lots of citrus and spruce flavors) with a finish of caramel malt. Suggestions of dark fruits are found from start to finish. The hops are very pronounced. Otherwise I don’t find much more beyond taste-bud slapping alcohol, hops, and malt. Maybe I am being too simplistic. Maybe I’d like more malt complexities. I love the hop profile, it is fairly complex. Unlike the nose, the palate is more DIPA-like then barleywine… I’m okay with that. Hell, I really like the flavor profile.

Slightly bigger than medium-full; low but natural carbonation. I like the mouthfeel; it is somewhat lazy but not sluggish. The carbonation does a great job allowing the flavors to slide over the tongue and then linger. Big aftertaste, sweet/malty with plenty of hops and oak; the combination is awesome.

I want a plate of cheese and fresh fruit. I want another bottle (or three). There is a certain malty vibe in Oaked AB that reminds me of Free State’s Old Backus Barleywine. Clearly though, Oaked AB is a big-ass malty DIPA. I am not “down” with the American Strong Ale term. WTF is it? Either it is a Barelywine or a DIPA. Simple as that. Screw labels. Is it tasty? Hell yeah. Is it drinkable? Oh, hell yes. I haven’t sat down and reviewed a beer this good in a long time. I needed this. Thank you, BuckeyeNation! This beer was great.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Pours an hazy orangish copper with a fairly well-retained light tan head that eventually leaves behind a generous lace. Fruity malt sweetness with a firm orangey hop character in the aroma. In the palate a somewhat astringent citrus hop spice overshadows the otherwise firm, slightly fruity malt backbone (with a definite honey character). The distinct oaky character contributes to the complexity.

Did a side-by-side comparison of this one with the regular AB: Arrogant Bastard is slightly richer, with a better balance, while the Oaked AB is a bit smoother, more refined and slightly more complex. Both were equally enjoyable and very drinkable, especially considering how rich they are.

Anyway, recommended…

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

-Poured from a bottle, this beer looks wonderful with a rich brown copper color, nice head/good retention.

-The aroma is amazing; hint of smokey wood, wonderful vanilla tones, some coffee scents, baking cookies, hot chocolate.

-Imediately the hops and alcohol take over with slight spicey undertones. Oak is strong, maybe to much so. Slight maltiness.
Wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd Be. Overall it was solid.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Finally get to sample this...12oz bottle from jayjaye as an extra in a recent trade...thanks...

Garnet red body, nice and clear. The typical Stone head retention and size. Initially a solid three fingers of dense khaki that reduced to a thin creamy foam layer. Beautiful lace grips the glass all over.

Aroma is lighter than I remember with the original. Some caramel sweetness. A little floral, citrus and a touch of pine hops. Seems similar to the original.

Taste comes through with a lot more of the oak, it has a more robust wood flavor than some of the other oak beers I've had. Lacks that harsh woodiness, which is a good thing. Caramel body again with some dinner roll malt flavors. Pine resin and light citrus hops round it out. Good stuff once again.

Nice full mouthfeel. Low carbonation doesn't overrun the flavors. Overall the drinkability is superb. I could drink this all the time. Its less upfront than the original and a bit smoother overall without the harsh hops. Good stuff.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to Boolshot and marvz for providing this beer in the Double Trouble BIF.
Pours a crimson/brass color with 1/4" beige head that fades rather quickly. Sticky, drippy, spiderweb lacing.
Aroma is fantastic right out of the bottle. Smells like the oakless Arrogant. I don't smell the oak chips but I do smell the vanilla that previous reviewers have mentioned. The Vanilla is a nice touch.
Flavorwise: this isn't nearly as hoppy or brash as the Oakless Arrogant, but it is every bit as good. This is more mellowed out and balanced. There are still loads of citrus hops but the oak chips adds a perfect balance.
Smooth mouthfeel but lacks the Arrogance of the origional.
This is one easily quaffable beer. A 12oz bottle simply isn't enough.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz bottle courtesy of grub and shared with fisherman34. Thanks for the trade! Poured into a snifter.

Pours a very murky orange-red colour with 1/4 inch of head that dissipates quickly. Carbonation seems mild to medium. Lovely colour. Aroma is extremely heady. Sweet floral notes with resiny pine and light citrus. Lots of woody notes, a bit of raisin and vanilla.

Taste is exceptional and complex. The woody oak really comes through nicely. Flavours reminiscent of port and some raisin. Piney and herbal hops that go into a lovely caramel malt with a bit of vanilla and biscuit in the back. Cookie-like in the finish and perhaps a bit grainy. Balance is near perfect. Mouthfeel is less dry than I thought it would be, and the carbonation is about right, medium to mild. So delicious I'd have another, dangerous, as the alcohol is well hidden in my opinion. Another wonderful beer from Stone.

3.89/5  rDev -7.4%

I got this at The Party Source in Newport, KY.

Appearance: copper-brown color with a nice 1/2" head; looks great when your pour it
Smell: not much here, surprisingly; i sense a little bit of hops and raisins
Taste: similar; hops and a raisin sweetness to balance it; the taste isnt as hoppy as regular arrogant
Mouthfeel: nice, thick, full-bodied
Drinability: goes down OK; you can't chug it, but then again you wouldn't want to

This isn't quite as good as regular Arrogant, but i'd like to give this oaked another shot

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle aquired via trade with akorsak.

A: Slightly clouded amber color, with a tan head that recedes to a thin ring. Leaves some lacing behind.

S: Similar to regular Bastard, except for the slightly smokey oak. Some vanilla smell.

T: Same as smell. Slightly astringent. Not too bad, though. No vanilla taste, too bitter.

M: Dry yet creamy smooth. Don't know if the bitterness is all from the hops or some from carbonation.

D: about the sam eas regular Bastard. Gets batter as it warms.

This OAB is a nice change of pace from the regular. Decent beer.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Sampled side by side with regular Arrogant Bastard Ale, like you could call it regular. The beer poured the same deep amber almost brown as it's more common older brother with a similar head that left a little less lacing. The aroma was almost identical to it's brother, caramel malts and pine hops with just a hint of oak. The oak in the taste adds a truly unique quality to an already complex beer. My only problem is it adds just a slight astringency to the mouthfeel, nothing much, but enough to keep it from the 5 I gave it's brother. All being said, this is also a one of my absolute favorite beers, but I rank it just behind the real deal.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottled sample shared with trevorwideman. Murky amber in colour with strong aromas of dark caramel, pine, white grapefruit, vanilla, almond, and a hint of raisin. Very woody in the mouth (both fresh cut wood and bark), red grape skins, a bit of port (probably the combination of the caramel and grape elements), with a cookie like malt character coming through near the finish. There’s a citrus fruit + woody astringency that balances out the malt in a very interesting way. I think I like this beer a bit better than it's non-oaked counterpart. Thanks trev!

3.95/5  rDev -6%

not too concerned with describing this one but I do feel that the numbers are about right

a: Khaki head pours big and looks good, with nice retention and lacing. The beer is a deep brown in color.

s: Smells quite nice. Really smooth and oaky with a great hop presence. Biscuity malt sweetness. Some more malt presence with some dark fruits would seal the deal. A range of fruits and a sort of subtle complexity.

m: Low-medium, smooth carbonation and a medium-full body.

t: A good taste but it doesn't wow me as much as expected. Seems a little low in the malt department. The big oak does blend nicely with the spicy hops...really damn oaky to the point that it almost overpowers things. Kinda one-dimensional. Moderate bitterness in the finish.

d: certainly drinkable

the last of a few i received for my bombing

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured an almost clear brown color with a small off-white head that left some lacing as I drank it. The brew has a piney hop smell to it, like its twin brother the aroma is not too pronounced. The taste is of grapefruit hops, a slight chocolate malt flavor, a bit of rubbing alcohol. I'm not sure of the differences between the oaked and non-oaked, I would need to drink them side by side, though I do know the difference from the double. It's hard to forget the double. The feel is light and fizzy, and leaves a bitter aftertaste that lingers around. This is good as a sipper but when I take a big gulp, the bitterness kills me. Good for one or two.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Murky deep brown with shards of garnet. Foamy tan head on top that is dissipating quickly. Smell is strong ale. Not as hop heavy as you might expect. Somewhat smoother than original bastard. Good malt in the nose. Alcohol noticeable as well. This has a bite to it in the taste. Good malt, definitely subdued hop presence, but the alphas are all there. Not much aroma hops. Toasted, burnt, biscuity malts falling all over the place. There is an astrigent/medicinal effect also that I find a lot in oak-aged beers.

Mouthfeel is nice. Good carbonation, not too fizzy. Easier to drink probably than it's brother.

A nice brew, but I'll take the original bastard over the oaked.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, screen printed bottle. Great logo, with the OAKED looking like a stamp over the AB logo. I don't see a date on it, but it has only been offered once so far in 12 oz bottles.

Appearance: Hazy reddish brown, great off white head. Very nice retention and lacing.

Smell: Malty with lots of vanilla and oak. Some hops come through in the background.

Taste: More going on here than I can describe. Much smoother than the original Arrogant, lots of oak and smooth vanilla. The hops and malt are still there though - just a bit mellower.

Overall impression: Fantastic beer, and I love that they are offering it at least occasionally in 12 oz bottles. Glad I stocked up!

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Drank from a regular pint glass from that familiar 12oz AB bottle. Thanks to JohnGalt1 for this bad boy.

Appearance- Pours a nice deep dark hazy red. Nice big lasting head that covers the whole beer the entire session. Nice sticky, fluffy lacing spirals down the glass.
Smell- Has a subtly sweet toffee like malt smell with gentle whiffs of vanilla. Has that familiar AB citrusy hop aroma that we’ve all come to know and love. Seems more subtle than the original and double.
Taste- Starts with a very nice sweet caramely bite that is o so yummy. Nice grapefruity bitterness that really comes out in the aftertaste along with a very subtle vanilla/oakyness. The flavor really intensifies when it warms. Can slightly taste the alcohol and once the bitterness fades there’s a slight nuttyness to it.
Mouthfeel- Has that sorta dry, low carbonated feel to it that you’d expect. Very smooth and semi-creamy. Very nice.
Drinkability- As the regular AB, this one is very very tasty. Definitely a beer you could enjoy copious amounts of as I find myself drinking it faster than what I would expect. Excellent version of a excellent beer!

3.82/5  rDev -9%

Hazy, amber sort of color-a muted orange is more like it. Good enough aroma-some woodiness against a backround of hops. Big malty taste with a pleasant tongue stripping level of hops and astringency. Some definate oak flavors. though I think I was looking for more. Good body. Very drinkable though I find the oakiness detracts from being the "regular" bastard. Too little oak and too many expectations maybe. Bring on the oaked Double Bastard that has been laid down a year or two.

4.16/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A really fine beer. Reminded me of a barleywine...specifically a mixture of Brooklyn Monster Ale and Bigfoot qualities. Pours a very cloudy brown color with a good size tan head. Left good lacing on the glass. I was expecting a Bigfoot / Celebration Ale style smell, but the aroma was fairly mild. Taste was very good..a little maltiness up front, then a good long hops blast with grapefruit and piney flavors (very much like Bigfoot). The follow through is very smooth and malty (like Monster Ale). My first sip felt thin and watery. All cured by the second taste. Smooth, rich mouthfeel and great tasting throughout. Have to rate drinkability good. Has all the flavor of Monster Ale and Bigfoot with a much lower ABV. I wouldn't say no to a second one!!!!

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.