Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
3.36/5  rDev -20%

12oz bottle purchased from Claredon Wines in Boston for $3.25. Pours a ruby brown with ample head but little carbonation. Surprisingly little aroma. Flavour is of nice roasted malts. But I'm not getting much oak in the flavour. Sure, it's a nice beer - but at its price, I am hoping for something more special. I also wasn't enthralled with the regular Arrogant Bastard, so maybe I'm just not programmed right for this beer.

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

355ml bottle bought from Beersofeurope.co.uk...

Poured a deep coppery orange colour. Mocha tan head poured tight, thick and foamy with a meringue like top then faded slowly to wispy covering... barely any carbonation... lots of sticky lacing lines...

Aroma - Lots of toasted toffee and caramel maltiness followed by noticeable oakiness, strong citrusy and peppery hop notes, dark fruits (strong blackcurrents, figs, some cherries), some booziness, toasted nuts, earthy, light liquorice, some orange, malt loaf, burnt sugar sweetness, some faint coffee traces...

Taste is a bit of a let down after the good aromas - nothing seems to meld very well... Strong and harsh oaky notes to the fore followed by toasted bready and toffee malts, noticeable alcohol burn, piney hop resin, fruit cake notes, light treacle sweetness, ripe fruits (raisins, spicy apples, bitter oranges), butterscotch and vanilla, metallic traces, some medicinal notes...

Feel - Sharp initially then a little smoothness comes through... medium... too harsh and boozy to be very drinkable..

Overall - A bit of a disappointment this one... i love AB but this just wasn't for me...

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a N'Ice Chouffe stemgoblet in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are moderately high, but Stone has disappointed me a bit in the past.

A: Pours a three finger head of decent cream, fair thickness, and pretty good retention for the above-average ABV. Colour is a nontransparent dark copper. It leaves a bit to be desired.

Sm: A musty mixture of hops, oak, and yeast. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Pleasant hops balance with the surprisingly restrained oak tone and the welcome yeasty notes for a pretty good balance of flavour. No alcohol is detectable. That said, it's pretty simple - an unexpected characteristic considering Stone's preoccupation with appearing to be the big bad bastards in the room. It's good but boring, and the oak aging doesn't seem to significantly alter the beer in comparison to the regular version.

Mf: Smooth and wet, capitulating to consumer interest yet suiting the flavours. All in all, it's well made.

Dr: While it won't satisfy fans of complex, intense beers (contrary to Stone's marketing), it remains a good beer I'd have again on draught. Don't expect anything incredible; you won't find it here. It hides its ABV well. The price isn't bad here in California, but I imagine this is far from the truth in other states.

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

Darker red than the arrogant bastard. Also a bit darker head that doesn't grow as high and very little lacing to it.

Smells like hops, pine,caramel malts, and a hint of bourbon at the end.

Tastes a lot like the original at first. The hops right up front then a caramel flavor followed by the piney taste. It finishes however with a weird bourbon flavor. Somehow it just doesn't taste right to me. Like they used pressboard bourbon barrels or something.

Medium bodied decent carbonation to it. Nice and smooth right up til the end when the wood chip flavor kicks in.

I truthfully wouldn't ever get this on my own. I just don't like the flavor that the "oaked" adds to it. I'll drink, but only when I am not the one paying for it.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours a deep murky red with a frothy light tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is caramel, fruits and raw hops with some woody vanilla.

The flavor is sweet caramel and melon with a strong harsh grassy (almost medicinal) bitter finish that lingers into the aftertaste. The bitterness mellows as it warms and becomes more vanilla oak. The mouthfeel is medium and kind of watery.

Overall, more one-sided and harsher bitterness than I remember the regular Arrogant Bastard.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

Aroma - A mild aroma with citrus and floral hops. The oak comes through in the aroma.

Appearance - Deep copper in color with a light tan head. The head poured 1 1/2 finger widths, but dissipated to 3/4 finger widths. Slight haze. Good lacing.

Flavor - Some citrus hop flavor. Caramel. Malty, but not sweet/cloying. Smokey? Has malt backbone, but bitterness dominates. The bitterness lingers on the finish.

Mouth feel - Medium body. Average carbonation.

Overall Impression - A drinkable beer. The oak is interesting. It seems the oak subdues the hop flavor making it bitter with out the nice hop flavor.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Expected more from this beer being oaked age. Poured light body, smells of malts and oak. Taste is thin with hints of vanilla with a burn from the alcohol at the end.

On tap at St. James Infirmary

Very dark, opaque color. Some head that retained for a couple of sips.

Smell is not too noteworthy, but there is some wood in there.

Taste is a huge slap on the tongue. A "strong" ale to be sure. The oakey finish is cool, but overall it feels very dry and bitter. It was hard to finish my 13 oz. glass because it's such a bastard! The flavor is complex and commendable, but it's just not easy to enjoy.

It's been a while since I had a regular Bastard, but if my memory serves me right, I prefer that one to this. The OAKED is a cool beer to try because it is unique and complex, but at the end of the day, the regular one is less expensive and still quite tasty. I'll be trying the Double Bastard this week and I'm excited to see how that compares.

I'm also wondering if the batch the Bros. had from 2003 is substantially different from the one I tried. I'll never know!

3.31/5  rDev -21.2%

It's really brown. Browner, certainly, than your regular ale, but far from the reddish tone I might expect from an oaky beer. The head swelled nicely as I poured this into my Flying Dog pint glass, and a full layering remained as the beverage sat, waiting on my approach. All in all, it's a darker brown (not bronze) than I expected, and that disappoints me slightly. +0.5, however, for the Stone gargoyle.

I definitely smell the oak, but not as much as I had hoped. I don't know why, but this beer I have here is not very aromatic. The taste, I'm sorry to report, is also lacking. I taste an okay ale with a little oak chip flavor. It's okay, but it's not worth the hype and $17 price tag (sixer) it fetches around these parts. With no way to avoid seeing the high "A" rating this beer has before I produce my own review, I'm particularly disappointed that I don't regard this beverage more highly. With Greensboro's own Red Oak as my standard for a good oak beer, I must report that this beer is inferior to that and MAYBE slightly better than average. The gargoyle, however, won't save the rating this time.

The mouthfeel is purty good. Like I've communicated this far, I don't think this beer has a lot of character. Though I yearn for more flavor as I feel the beer, I can say that I enjoy the feel. Still, I'm determined to write an independent review. Mouthfeel is just better than average. The beer's okay, but I won't follow the first with a consecutive second. Stone is good and oak is good, but this beer is average.

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%

12 oz bottle. Beer was about a month past the drink-by date when sampled. Apparently this is not supposed to matter much..

Pours translucent ruby brown, good tan head. Smell is earthy malts, a bit of must; in fact, with nice sweet notes. First taste is a sheet of (one-dimensional) hops that turns into the customary AB fruity, butterscotchy, malty thing, followed by a super-dry finish that I can only liken to "sucking on a wood chip." Not my thing, but I'm glad I tried it once.

3.28/5  rDev -21.9%

Substantially better than Arrogant Bastard.

Pours from a bottle into a snifter a nice brown color, with some red in there, too.

Smells mostly like beer. Also some non-descript fruity sweetness. Orange rind. Maybe maple syrup? Who knows.

The taste is not as complex as I had hoped. I enjoyed the woody dry finish and to a lesser extent, the nuttiness.

The mouthfeel tended to be thin and overly-carbonated, but thankfully the latter subsided over the course of the beer.

Sessionable? Absolutely not.

Interesting concept, decent flavor. Good, but I had higher hopes.

3.26/5  rDev -22.4%

[3.75 for a 12oz picked out of a sixer at Downtown Wine and Spirits, Somerville a couple of days ago]

Ruby beer with a killer head - not overly huge, but very pretty and long-lasting and massive lacing. Aroma is very light, actually. Pleasant, perfumy lavender and pink grapefruit. A bit of a zingy chemicalness all the way through. At first the nice caramel malts (and a little roast too) help to cover it up, but it continues past when the malt is gone. Also leaves tobacco leaves on the tongue. Medium-thick body is kind of creamy, but also becomes a bit thin and sketchy towards the end.

Eh, one is enough. This is too mellow and the finish tastes a bit like household cleanser. Overall it is a real disappointment, considering how much I like the regular bastard and most of Stone's other beers. To be honest, I would not have guessed that this was a Stone beer if I did not pour it myself, since it is not up to Stone's standard of excellence.

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.