Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,841 | Hads: 5,069
4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

pours nice and clear reddish-brown with a straw colored 1 inch head. nice lacing. aroma is citrus and piney hops with a touch of whiskey. first taste is a woody, vanilla malt, but immediately gives way to grapefruit citrus hops of the original AB. the pineapple i love in the original AB is missing, but i guess that's part of what makes this different. finishes slightly resinous, bitter and dry. wood carries through to the end, and you can taste this flavor on your lips. surprisingly smooth and crisp at the same time. i find this slightly more enjoyable than the AB, and i'm interested in trying this with some age, although it's wonderful fresh. (651 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%

A- pours a deep brown with red hues when held up to the light, has a huge cream head that retains beautifully and laces great

S- at first smells of sweet malt and then a big grapefruit citrus, not that different from the regular Arrogant bastard

T- rich and sweet at first, almost a little bit of coffee taste but only for a split second, then followed by the big ass citric grapefruit hop bitterness at the finish

M- good carbonation, with a fairly heavy body, sticky long lasting taste in mouth

D- like its other bastard kin, shouldn't (definitey could, and have) drink more than a couple of these in a night, a good move by stone to put them in 12 oz's this year, wont look forward to it as much as the double, but will definitely be picking up a few of these each december for quite a while (806 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter.
Purchased at Merchant's in Dearborn, last bottle they had.
Served at damn near room temperature.

Pours a beautiful deep ruby red color with some amber highlights. A huge fluffy cream colored, almost yellow head forms. Tons of delicate, sticky lacing is left behind as the head fades. Good head retention. Excellent smelling brew! Big malts and hops, candy, kinda boozy, with a nice oaky aroma in the background. Some citrusy smells with hints of vanilla. Quite bitter on the tongue, duhh!! Tastes like Arrogant Bastard with wood! Lots of hops upfront with the malts taking a backseat. Creamy smooth mouthfeel, but leaves a nice crisp feeling on the tongue, kinda dry. A pleasure too drink, I like this a little better than the original. I hope to find some more, nice job Stone! (826 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Apperance: nice thick head dissipates slowly. Great retemtopn. Nice full amber color

Smell: Inticing, smells like arrogant bastard with some woodyness.

Taste: I had a leviation before this to at least have some warm up. Arrogant bastard is usually very harsh and I'm only able to sip it. This beer is nicely balanced, with some nice woodyness. Aging has done wonders. More bitterness than levitation (watered down arrogant bastard), but it's a more pleasant bitterness. YUMMY! PERFECTION. Better than the original. I reviewed arrogant bastard early on and it has a higher rating I think, but this one is better and has a nicer taste. PICK THIS UP!

Mouthfeel: Stone beers are never thick on the palate and this one is no exception. The crispness is nice however.

drinkability: the most drinkable strong ale I've had to date. (835 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Purchased at Hi-Times in Costa Mesa.

The beer poured a deep garnet with a small off-white head that quickly disappeared.

The aroma of the beer was rich dark malt, chocolate, and some vanilla.

The flavor of the beer was full of rich maltiness with a decent citrusy hop bite. The hops are very subdued compared to regular AB, which in my opinion, makes the beer much better and more balanced. The bittering of regular AB is just too coarse for it to be drinkable and appreciate the rich maltiness that's there. This version avoids that problem entirely and is a far superior beer.

The mouthfeel was medium and creamy. The carbonation was just right.

The 12oz. bottles are a welcome addition. Stone and other breweries should do this more often for their big beers. I realize the costs are higher, but it's much easier for me to take my time when I don't feel pressure to push through a 22oz bomber.

I got a six pack from the last case at Hi-Times. This stuff is going fast. So if you see it, grab it. (1,017 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Let me start off by admitting that I am not a big fan of Arrogant Bastard. It was actually the beer that got me into Stone, but in retrospect, it's probably one of my least favorites of their offerings. I appreciate the whole "You're Not Worthy" bitterness concept, but I'll go ahead and compromise my own masculinity by saying that I guess I'm not worthy because it's just a bit too bitter for me to really enjoy it...at least until I'm about halftway through the bottle and the alcohol starts to cushion the blow.

Nonetheless, as soon as I heard that the Oaked Bastard was available in bottles (which occurred less than a week ago in my neighborhood), I had to have some. I now have two six-packs of the stuff, and I'm hoping I made a wise investment.

I poured the contents of my first bottle into my trusty Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip glass. The liquid was a deep, rich mahogany, too dark to be transparent yet perfectly clear, with a substantially tall and dense tan head that settled to about a finger's width. I swirled the glass a couple of times and the head retention was perfect.

This being the second oaked beer I've reviewed (the first being Old Yeti Oaked Imperial Stout), I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but sure enough, the odor was very similar. The smell conjured the image of being in a field of oak trees after a heavy rainstorm. More simply: wet wood. A hint of malt and even a glimpse of sweetness was also present. The overall experience was fairly appealing, but I wasn't sure how well it would translate to my taste buds.

After my first sip, I was not disappointed. Where the effects of alcohol were once required to "cushion the blow" of the bitterness of this brew, the oak aging and flavor now did the job. I could taste the gentle oak flavor up front. This was quickly chased by the trademark bitterness of the Bastard. However, whereas the normal Bastard has a tendency to burrow its way into my tongue and make me feel like someone just jammed a handful of pine needles into my tongue and then poured grapefruit juice into the wound, the oakiness seemed to leave a protective coating that provided enough of a blockade to stave off the hoppy attack while being subtle enough for my taste buds to enjoy the flavor. It's not the bitterness of the Bastard that puts me off, it's the fact that it won't go away. I could take three sips of Arrogant Bastard and the taste would linger for ten minutes. I'd rather have a chance to recover and then pummel my taste buds again at my own pace, and this Oaked variety enables me to do that.

I still can't say this is one of my favorite Stone beers: I prefer the refreshing quality of their IPA or the complexity of their Old Guardian, Ruination, or Imperial Russian Stout. I will qualify this by saying that I don't really have a basis of comparison as far as what an American Strong Ale should taste like, so I can't judge to style. I can appreciate it for what it is, though, and I will have an easy time spreading out my consumption of these over the next several months or even years and seeing how the experience evolves. (3,124 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A huge Huge thanks to fellow Buffalo area BA Orfeu for leaving some of this and a few other gems on my porch tonight!Poured into a brandy snifter a deep amber infused with some tawny brown a big fluffy almond colored head atop leaving multiple sheets of lace as it settled into a soapy-like top.The only let down of this beer in my mind was the nose seemed a bit unasumming some faint vanilla and caramel and hints of orange peel.Oh man the flavors are definently Not unassuming where to begin here caramel sweetness and woody tones at first sip the vanilla from the oak becomes prevelant a big drying spicey hoppiness really hits and hits hard just making it oh so drinkable and balanced.As the beer warms the alcohol heat comes thru more but not outta hand,oh so beautiful a beer I just loved it. (798 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Picked up a six for 14.99 and I'm a little disappointed. IMO, this brew was no different in taste, smell, appearence, and mouthfeel than Arrogant Bastard. Still a great looking ruby red w/ a 2 inch creamy amber head and left an excellent amount of lacing. The taste and aroma was similiar to AB. Malty caramel, toffee, citrus hoppy w/ a well balanced sweet-bitter ending. I failed to smell and taste any oak barrel, even after drinking 4/12 oz bottles. Well, I guess if OAB and AB are similar to me, I'll score it the same. (523 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Brown [probably similar to the "regular arrogant bastard"] orangeish red highlights.

Tan cream head, sticky lace down the sides.

First sip too cold ... lots of flavors

third sip some time later.. rich nuttyness some bittering around the tongue, but not usual hoppiness. A different flavor, somewhat like the different of regular AB but also the Oak perhaps?

Rich, complex deep flavors.

I got a bit of sticker shock, never paid that much for a six pack before, [12.46] but after reading the forums [and doing the math] It's really not such a bad deal after all, and maybe it would be nice to have this and other richer stone offerings in 12 oz bottles. (667 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

12 oz. bottle - Dark molasses color with a tint of red –head is tan , medium , small bubbles – nose of dark berries ( cherries ) , cinnamon , coffee grounds and orangey – taste of malts , gummy tar , spruce , hopps ( both bitter , and pine ) caramel , and some wood ( mostly cedar )- medium tart body – aftertaste is long earthy , malt and caramel (351 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Served in a large snifter.

Appearance was dark cider reddish brown. Half inch thick tan head of dense foam. This pulled back quickly, but left nice remnants of lace on the sides and a very small layer of bubbles on top of the beer.

The smell hit me at first with canned pineapple sweetness. Piney Hop resins and the slightest hint of oak.

The taste was heavily influenced by the oak. It actually seems to have toned down some of the more unbalanced flavors AB usually has. Now, I'm not saying it's well balanced, but a lot of the malt sweetness has been smoothed over by smokey oak notes. Piney, perhaps Cascade hops, are heavy in the flavor as well. Fruity malts are present but a bit muted.

The mouthfeel is thick, yet smooth. This could be a product of the oak or perhaps the aging.

Very drinkable. In my honest opinion more so than regular Arrogant bastard. I think the oak does wonders for this beer. It really smooths the flavors out. (955 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance is the same as the original. Dark burnt copper with a foamy beige two fingered head.

Aromas are of strong citrusy and piney hops. Slight oakey aroma and a hint of vanilla. I wasn't overwhelmed with the oakiness. Maybe because this is such a hoppy beer. I still think the hop is the strongest character.

Tastes of Strong, grassy, piney hops. Hints of vanilla, dark fruit, tree bark. Oak.

Very bitter full bodied mouthfeel. Like I'm chewing on a handful of hop flowers.

Overall a little too hoppy and not enough balance. No doubt this will make a lot of hop heads happy. (591 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11%

'06 release. Pours from 12 oz. bottle a dark mahogany with a finger and a half of a thick foamy beige head with excellent retention, leaving a nice thick lacing around the glass as it slowly falls.

Aroma is mostly of oak, as would be expected. But behind it there are plenty of hints of the original Bastard; grapefruit citrus hops and sweet roasted malts.

I wasn't sure what to expect on this one, and though I was surprised, I am definitely not disappointed. Compared to the original, this is very mellow, though still definitely full-flavored. The first taste is the citric grapefruit hops, but then the oak chips creep up. They sneak in with the light roasted/toffee malts in the background and go straight for the throat of the hops, creating one helluva balance. Lingering bitter aftertaste, but it is very mild.

Somewhat syrupy and oily mouthfeel, full-bodied with ample carbonation. A lot lighter bitterness than the AB, so it's definitely a step above as far as drinkability. This is one incredible brew, Stone's done it again. (1,045 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Stone IPA tulip glass.

A - Good looking beer here. Deep brown and clean filtered (if you have a powerful enough spotlight to make it through). Very nice oatmeal colored head that has a much staying power as any I have seen.

S - Mocha, burnt wood and a clean vanilla waft. Also present are the dark fruits that are present in the standard version of the Bastard.

T - OK, this is the best way I can describe this. Imagine Mr. Arrogant Bastard chilled for a few hours, listening to Barry White ... believing Barry White, and learning a thing or two. He is still arrogant and still a bastard. But this time he is smoooth.

Woody tones are very apparent and serve to mellow out the various battling flavors in the original version. The big hops and caramel malts blend together with near perfection. Very good.

M - Yep, this is most excellent. Good job Stone. Pump up that Barry on a few more beers. I love it. (947 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a clear dark amber with a nice white head and minimal lacing. Surprising considering the amount of hops here. Smell is immediately of oak, dry bittering hops, and slight malt sweetness. Taste is a blast in the face of bittering hops, dry in the back of the throat aftertaste. Oak melds pretty well with the hops and kind of eases the hop assault. Nice thick mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Very drinkable, I can see it paired with a nice sharp cheddar. (462 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is my first time ever having this beer! This beer pours a clear medium amber brown color with a foamy tan head about a finger thick upon being poured. The head shrinks rather quickly, but has good staying power after that and also has some very nice lacing. Aromas of spice, oak, malt, citrus, and some hops. Very ncie smell indeed. Tastewise it is hoppy yet sweet along with some spice and malt going on as well. You can taste the oak, which gives this beer a bit more of a bite then regular Arrogant bastard. The hop bitterness and malty sweetness are very nicely balanced. Has a crisp, bubbly, and smooth mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Surprisingly easy to drink. This beer kicks ass! Get some before it is gone for the year, as it is very limited.

Eric (770 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Ok...seriously it's sort of hard to review this beer because it honestly does assault your taste buds halfway through the bottle and your impression changes quickly.
Pours beautifully in the glass...a little less head than on regular AB, but still sticky and lasting the entire drink of dark golden amber.
Aromas are all about the grapefruit peel hops.
Taste...wow...I can immediately taste the oak...it seems to actually mellow out the effects of the extreme hops and creates a marriage or blending between sweet amber malts and the hops.
This really balances out AB much more than the 'in your face' of fresh standard AB.
This one is really much more sessionable.
And it is reallly amazing with my curried chicken and rice. (731 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok, well I've had the regular AB, so I thought I'd see how this differs.
Same amber, brownish color as the AB. Perhaps a bit darker. Good foaming head.
Smells of grapefruit, lemon, flowers and pine (or is it oak?) I thought it was more pine, but maybe that's from the hops.
Tastes very nice. Good citrus/grapfruit taste. Blends nice with the malt. There's the oak. A bit more of a 'tinge' of oak. Nice rich flavor. Combines well with more of the fruity flavors
A good feel. Light syrup. a bit thicker than AB.
Can drink very easily (537 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

One of my all-time favorites, oaked and on-tap. Poured into a pint glass a dark mahogany-brown with a small finger of almond colored bubbly head. Plenty of sticky, long lasting lace with the head lasting to the end.

Smells like Arrogant Bastard too me. Spicy, floral and fruity citric, with malt and pine being being tamed by the oak.

Tastes like Arrogant Bastard (imagine that) with the exception that the woodyness lends, taking some of the edge off of the normally large hop profile. It just seems to mellow the Bastard in a very nice way.

A little smoother in the mouthfeel dept. than the standard AB, a nice pleasant change to a brew that's always "spoke for itself".

Love this stuff ! (703 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with little head, but maybe the bartender's fault. The lacing was quite pretty and oddly symmetrical.

Smell: Grapefruity hops are the major smells I get from this brew. There's a light malty back bone and a sweet fruitiness. Somewhere between plum, melon and molasses, but with none of the particular smells of the three.

Taste: Again, grapefruit as if it's a heavily hopped red ale. The alcohol is an immediate presence on the palate, but goes nicely with the rich sweet syruppy taste. There's a verry hoppy background, like most of stone's brews, but balances out with the malty foreground.

Mouthfeel: Medium to bodied with an air of hops, alcohol and what I can only assume is the effect of the oak cask all mix with the hoppy bitterness to create an amazing mouthfeel. This is a smokey, thick, bitter brew. Amazing.

Drinkability: All of the flavors, smells and alcohol are quite intense, but also constructive. This is not a session brew by any means, but takes some thinking to get through the glass. Kudos on a fantastic beer lesson; complexity 101. (1,098 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

I had this beer on tap at O'Brien's. I didnt know if I would be able to have a chance to have this beer on tap ever again. I am glad that I did.

This beer pours arusty brown color with a slight orange tint. It has a thick light tan head that fades slowly, leaving many laces.

This beer has a floral aroma. It smells quite sweet. It has a very subtle oak aroma to it. The alcohol content is notable in the aroma.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. Floral hop flavor is dominate. Behind that, I get some oak flavor. Alcohool content is there also. It has a very sweet taste. It is not quite as hoppy as Arrogant Bastard. The hops have just died down a little.

This beer is very full bodied. It leaves a sweet floral hop aftertaste. It is carbonated well.

This beer would probably not make a great session beer. The flavor is very aggressive, and therefore, after a few, it might get old. Also, the alcohol content is a little high, so drinking too many would be a problem. (993 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Poured this one from a Magnum. The Bastard Wood. Would you? reads the huge bottle.

The appearance was not much differrent than the standard bastard. Dark reddish brown with a nice head that laced the glass.

The smell was hoppy with a hint of oak.

The taste was far smoother than the regular Bastard. Huge citrus hops are noticable fading to oak at the end. Smooth and complex. Pretty incredible. The mouthfeel was smooth, and the drinkabiliity was superb.

I prefer this one to the regular Bastard. It takes it to a whole new level, and it's great. Awesome stuff. (574 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge 3litre bottle, love this bottle.

First served cold and then allowed to warm up in my cellar fridge.

Appearance - Deep dark amber in color, looks maybe just a hair darker than the regular Arrogant Bastard. Same off white head leaving awesome lacing. Maybe its just me but the Oaked seems to have better head retention.

Smell - All the great aroma of Arrogant Bastard, especially the hops but with a sweeter, maltier aroma. I would say thats some of the oak coming through?

Taste - Again still very close to the regular Arrogant Bastard, this one is sweeter and the woodiness of the oak comes through as it warms. Also a great caramel taste comes through as well, this to me is the sweeter aspect of it. When I say its taste is close to regular Arrogant, I don't want to mislead, this is still a very different beer and to me is much more suited for other occasions, this one is much nicer after a meal.

Mouthfeel - Smooth with a larger medium body than the orginal.

Drinkability - While a very drinkable beer, I was careful and could have gone the distance with my dad who went in on this bottle with me but he gave up early, guess he had homebrewed himself out earlier.

Overall this has been my favorite new beer experience in a long, long time. While it is a bit pricey, in my mind it was well worth it. (1,336 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

Cask pull at the Falling Rock Taphouse (Denver). Presented a half-finger light-brown head that clings and keeps hanging around. Super cloudy brown (reddish) liquid. Smells caramel with light bourbony oak. Dark oak, american. Touch of alcohol sting in my nostrils. After sitting a while, the piney hops became much more apparent.

Tastes super-creamy mouthfeel, but light body. Delicious oak character. Vanilla and a touch toasty. AB hop umph is absent or covered. Dry woody finish. Touch of bitter and grassy, perhaps that's the hops beginning to show themselves. After sitting a while, I get a hint of hazelnut and chocolate. A settled piney hop flavor, like this beer has been aged. Nearly absent carbonation.

Okay, this last 1/3 of the beer has sat at least a half hour. Oranges early in the taste. Esters are low, which was deceiving, as the mouthfeel sets up an expectation. Just a little bit of alcohol heat. Touch of cherry sour. Cascade hop smell and flavor. IMO, this beer was fairly disappointing. Needs more sweet and some esters to accompany the mouthfeel and fill out the beer. (1,095 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Finally got a chance to try this brew I've been longing after during Dark Lord Day. Poured carefully from the huge 3L bottle into my New Glarus glass a deep brilliant amber red color with a healthy white head on top of the brew. As I put my nose to the glass I got some nice rich caramel maltiness along with big piney and citric hop resins. A touch of frutiness with a wonderful oaky, woody aroma. Hints of vanilla and toffee. Really enjoyable and a step up for me from regular AB.

First sip brings a ruch of caramelized fruity malts along with a smooth oak flavor that really adds a nice element to the brew. Resinous, piney bitter hops roll in as the beer goes down with a solid bitterness. Finishes a bit dry with a lovely lingering woodiness coupled with a touch of vanilla. An awesome amalgamation of flavors that I personally really enjoyed.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit creamy with laid back carbonation, making this really easy to drink. A tasty oak aged brew that still on the lower end of the abv spectrum for these kinda beers. I'd happily drink much more of this if given the chance. Maybe I'll have to plunk down the change for a bottle of my own someday, but for now I'll just have to be thankful for whoever the kind soul was that brought this and allowed me the opportunity to sample it! Stone strikes again! (1,332 characters)

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.