Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,848 | Hads: 5,113
4.65/5  rDev +11%

Appearance is enjoyably as expected. Has a little bit of that extra translucence that comes with macro-production, but the deep amber coloring is gorgeous and the head and retention is perfect.

Smell also betrays some macro qualities, but it's an enjoyable scent to say the least.

The taste of this beer is fucking awesome. A wonderful amount of wood (though I'd take a touch more), and very well balanced to boot. An improvement of the Arrogant Bastard.

Could go for a bit more hoppy crispness in the mouthfeel, but it's damn solid none the less. Just a touch more mellow than desired, particularly for a 'wood-chipped' beer. This is, in my opinion, the only quality of the beer that is inferior to the original AB.

Overall, a wonderfully accessible, albeit entry-level wood-affected beer. There are, of course, many with a more genuine wood contribution. But in terms of a widely accessible high quality brew... I'll have another.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

Let me preface this review by saying the following:

I don't like the regular Arrogant Bastard Ale.

Yes, I DO like Ruination, but Arrogant Bastard just didn't appeal to me the same way. But seeing how The Bros said that this is superior to Arrogant Bastard (a perfect 100 to AB's 98), I figured that maybe the oaked nature of this beer would have a better taste.

I was not wrong to think that. Everything about this tastes like Arrogant Bastard; hops and malt hit the palate and ride hard...there's a lot more flavor in the middle, I can't really describe it, but it slowly turns into a bitterness. Might be the smoky oaked aspect. And the bitterness is much more agreeable in this one. I think the malt flavor is a little more sweeter, more caramel-like, reminding me of a red ale. It even looks a little like a red, a deep red-copperish color, thats slightly lighter than regular AB in my opinion.

I don't know what really makes this so much better than the original. Maybe its because the bitterness is a little more subdued, making this easier to drink. Maybe its that extra taste of oak that gives my palate something else to focus on. But whatever it is, I can say that while I don't like Arrogant Bastard, I LOVE Oaked Arrogant Bastard. Highly Recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

I've been wanting to try this for a while, but couldn't bring myself to cough up the $20 per six pack. And then bam! I was browsing the singles section at beer run and they had one for tree fiddy. This stuff is nice. It's got a beautiful color, smell, and taste. It's really smooth and drinkable. I think it may be worth the $20 next time.

4.65/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark, reddish brown mahogany color. Hint of smokey oak and grapefruit. Some of the oak comes through on the palate, but it's subtle and adds to the roasted flavor of the malt. Hop bitterness is present as well. Very nice balance of smoky peat and tangy grapefruit, some apricot. Full bodied with a nice long finish that is neither dry nor wet. Leaves a warm feeling in the mouth, body, and soul!

4.66/5  rDev +11.2%

Served from a 12 oz. brown bottle into an Arrogant Bastard pint glass I got for Christmas. 7.2% alcohol.

Color: Red, i've never seen color like this before. It's amazing. Cream colored pillowy lacy head, with good retention.

Aroma: mild hop aroma, mild malt aroma, perfectly balanced all at once, but on top of those mild aromas, there's definitely an oak quality and a touch of smokiness, almost like burnt wood.

Flavor: Sweet caramelly malt, burnt sugars with a heavy mouth feel followed by a complex string of hop flavors which is spicy but not floral nor fruity. Bitterness meets you halfway in the middle, and sort of stays with you at one strong level until it finally fades into a dry finish.

Overall: Wow. This is incredibly complex and quite aggressively hopped. The bottle says I'm not worthy, and it may be right. I'm very surprised that when i poured this beer and smelled it for the first time that I wasn't knocked off my chair onto my own bastard ass with the smell of hops and malt. What I expected was an over-the-top ale that was going to blow my mind with intense maltiness and off-the-chart hops flavor, and I also expected it to be almost chewy like oatmeal. What I got was an incredible surprise because it is a very aggressive beer, but it is so well balanced that you hardly notice the aggressiveness. The balance between the hops and the bitterness is incredible with the added burnt oak flavor. The hop bitterness and flavor does a great job at hiding the high alcohol content. So in the end, it won't be the flavor or aroma that knock my own arrogant ass off the chair, but the sneaky 7.2% alcohol instead.

Rating: I'm giving this one five out of five coals, BUT...it's not because i think it's the best tasting beer i've ever had, but because it's so well crafted. I almost expect a gargoyle to fly out of the bottle and punch me in the face. It's almost a magical beer with it's incredible balance. The bastard who came up with this brew deserves to be arrogant.

4.66/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Into a pint glass:

A: hazy brown body that gives a one finger white head and dies within twenty seconds, no carbonation to be seen rising. Some ringy lacing appears.

S: wonderful amounts of oak but not overbearing and has some hops appear.

T: well balanced between the oak and the hops and malts done extremely well.

M: light to medium, no carbonation was felt, sessionable

O: ok, well, I thought the "arrogant bastard" was just an ok beer, but this is way better. Everything is perfectly balanced. Personally, I think the "oaked" version of this makes the regular "arrogant bastard" look like a kindergartener.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Magnum. Finally broke down and bought one, and it was worth it. Pours light mahongany with a ring of foam as the head. The aroma is full of caramel, malt and oak. The taste is phenomenal. The oak tamed the previous Arrogant Bastard, making it seem deeper and mellowed in taste. The malt is sweeter and the hops are more flavorful, but without the bite. Its almost like a scotch finished in a sherry cask. I really hope this one finds a permanent place place in Stone's lineup.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

12-oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Reddish brown with good clarity, formed a small light tan head of small and medium bubbles which dissipated leaving good lacing, light but steady carbonation with small bubbles.

S = Very complex nose. I get floral, piney hops scents, together with an almost honey sweetness, and slight smokey odors which are probably coming from the oak chips. This is an exceptional nose, it smells like an IPA to which much more has been added.

T = Very satisfying taste which doesn't quite keep up with the smell, but comes close. There is a very sweet smokey malted flavor, but the bitterness of the hops is there the whole time cutting through it and carrying with it some citrusy lemon flavors through mid-palate and into the finish which is long and slightly, but not overpoweringly, bitter. I like this better than the unoaked Arrogant Bastard which is a very good beer. The complexities are great and well balanced.

M = Medium body, with light, almost foamy carbonation, leaves a good mouth coating that really aids the entire taste experience but especially the finish.

D = This is very drinkable. The only problem may be stopping yourself before having too much given the ABV.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a standard beer mug, this beer is a dark amber, cloudy copper color..almost like an old copper penny with some dirt on it..although I must add, if this beer were an old penny, it would surely be the most delicious coin I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

When you smell this beer, you think you know what to expect in the taste....the woody oak, bitter hops and fantastic sweetness are all well accounted for by the nose...but when the taste buds indulge themselves, the mouth could easily brag to the nose about what it's missing!

The taste? hops hops hops! and the oak aging has seeped its way into this beer for sure. This, along with certain fruits make the immediate taste a very bitter one... a bitterness that lingers pleasantly for a long, long time. Beyond the bitterness, it's pure complexity and balance that give this such a world class taste. Almost like a fine wine, grapes and grapefruit are apparent, and the alcohol is well hidden. If you don't like a bitter beer, you might want to pass this one up...but you'll be missing out on a fantastic brew. Easily one of my favorite beers I've ever tasted.

The mouthfeel is creamy and full bodied! despite the high alcohol, it's very drinkable....how drinkable? if I had more i'd be drinking it all night.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

A ton of thanks to Akorsak for hooking me up with this beer in a trade. Now unfortunately I have been bitten by the bug of its greatness. I am hooked and I want more. So whether I should thank you or curse you is undecided friend.;-) You did only give me what I asked for so the burden of consequence lies on me and the gratitude owed is all yours Adam. =)

Appearance: Pours a deep copper ruby brown color with a thick just off-white head and lots of lacing.

Smell: Rich dark aroma of wood, sap, caramel or maple, raisins, papaya, vanilla, gentle fruity but assertive hops and hints of alcohol.

Taste: In a beer already as fantastic as Arrogant bastard it comes to question why oak age? I think the flavor is not drastically altered but the rough edges are smooth and one dimension to an already complex beer is added. Wood. And it is delicious and now even more drinkable. Along with the citrus grapefruit pine hop character and the malty caramel and dark fruit attribute, is a delightful vanilla bourbon flavor that finishes of with a hint of wood and sublime dryness that is amazing.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is what stood out to me the most in this version of Arrogant Bastard. The beer seems perfectly condition with extremely fine carbonation and then the hops give a velvety soft texture that is impeccable and sensuous.

Drinkability: After each sip my entire range of sense begin to call for more. It is so do drinkable that the dryness left on my plate beckons for more. Then as the sweet caramel malt and dry wood tones seep back out on to my cheeks, my palate begs for more. And by the time my taste buds taste the full effect of the long lingering aftertaste, my taste buds are *demanding* more of this beer NOW! I was fortunate enough to receive two bottles in trade but I must own a case as soon as possible!!

Hope this is helpful.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

The beer i took to see the resumption of the Champions League 2010. Poured in a pint glass. Look: Reddish amber color, like a ruby, two fingers of creamy and beige head, very good lacing; Smell: Wood, floral and pine hops, some honey too; Taste: Wood, pine hops, little vanilla and malt in the middle, earth hops and more woods at the finish; Mouthfeel: Dry, woody, extra bitter, robust body; Drinkability: Seems wooden juice with alcohol, world class.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

If your a fan of arrogant bastard this is a must try. The oak ageing adds a whole new level to an already fine brew. Appearance was the same as the original but when I leaned in for a whiff it was a whole new brew. Woody, hoppy, with a heavy malt body that seems to be the boss. It is actually a settled down version of the original...all the tastes are a bit more subtle and add in a richer body and the wood and you have a gem. Had this at Naja's at a beer advocate social after hearing the guys talking about it. Thanks for the heads up...great great brew.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Stone always seems to please and this gem is no exception. I never take offense to the arrogance of the label. I just put my lips together and move on. Appearance is a rich amber with nice head and wonderful beige lacing. Smell is toasted bread, piney floral hops. Tastes: the malt is abundant and toasted but complemented nicely by the plethora of hopalisciousness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Overall a wonderful American strong ale with complexity that even I am incapable of capturing using mere human language. Cheers.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

On tap at Coles! What a find!

Pours a hazy red/brown, small but thick off white head, nice lacing and great retention, this shit sticks. Smell is toffee, vanilla, piney resin, oak, toffee, big malts, big hops, big oak, spectacular. Taste is more of the same, toffee rich maltiness, vanilla and citrus, amazing play between the oak and the piney hops. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with medium carbonation, thought the carbonation was a touch too aggressive, nice clean bitterness. Fantastic, this deserves its high rating.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

I have had this beer twice in my life, however, I wanted to relate an incident about this beer. A friend of mine was recently given a bottle of 1997 oaked arrogant bastard. This friend of mine is no where near being a purveyor of fine beers, as his favorite beer is Coors Light. Sadly to say, after drinking one drink of this magnificent ale, he was disgusted by its flavor and then he proceeded to pour it all down the drain. In reality, he should have poured himself down the drain instead. Obviously, when he told me this, I nearly flipped out and then I chastised him for his recklessness. His response; "Dude, it's only beer." What an ignoramous.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

A: deep brownish red color, with a small tan head.

S: smells like bastard, but a bit sweeter, the hops are still present, but you can definitely tell they're more toned down due to the oak.

T: bastard toned down, woodyness is very mild, a sweet flavor I didn't notice in the original, and the hops are less obvious. definitely prefer the normal AB.

M: fantastic, easy to drink, medium carbonation

O: I enjoyed this greatly, as I do with every single Stone creation I've ever tried, but I still prefer the original better. Wish they had that available in 12oz six packs.

from a BA trade with b0ldfacelies, 12oz. bottle poured into an Imperial Pint

A: Pours a bold, striking, vibrant reddish color featuring a huge, rocky off-white head. Like everything else about this beer, it makes a statement with its appearance.

S: Smells more like the best DIPAs on the planet, loads of fresh-baked cookie goodness, and a gorgeous roasted nutty quality makes this aroma a serious winner.

T/M: Again, bold is the word here. A blast of massively bitter grapefruit splashes your taste buds before giving way to the dark, roasted malt center. The grapefruit bitterness is joined by a long, aggressive piney finish. This beer doesn't so much get drank as it does ASSAULT your taste buds. Perfectly balanced carbonation makes it easy to wrestle with large gulps of this monster at a time.

D: If this beer wasn't so dang expensive, I'd buy it more often. It's ridiculously fun to drink, if not outright drinkable.

Highly recommended!

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

One of my favorite beers... Similar to the standard AB, but the oak gives this one a bit of character that is lacking in many beers. Pours reddish brown, with minimal head. Nice sticky lacing and swirls on the top though. The aroma is more malt and earthy wood to me than it is hoppy. The flavor is hoppy, but that just seems like part of it. Arrogant bastard is very hoppy, and it makes no excuses that it is designed to be hoppy, the oaked version just seems to have hops as part of the mix. The malt stands out a bit more, probably because the hops mellow with the addition of the oak aging time. The oaked version of this is a touch sweeter, a lot mellower, and has a bit more character in mouthfeel thanks to the tannins from the wood.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

This version of the bastard is amazing. Hands down! I love the regular bastard, but this really blows the regular bastard away. The pour is a little darker than the chestnut brown it's more rich. Not quite a brown, but not a chestnut brown. It has a two finger tan head that wacks your nose with an oak and grain smell. You can also catch the hops and malts, but the oak is the dominant. The taste is amazing. Almost like the bastard, but with the oak flavor sealed in. The oak gives this beer more of an earthy feel. The mouthfeel is hoppy and smooth. Again if you love hops, the drinkability is great!

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

I stopped drinking this after the price increase gosh maybe 8 years ago now...Found it on tap the other day and its all I have been drinking, the oak flavors elavate the Arrogant Bastard to outstanding heights

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: It’s moderately dark brown and slightly hazy with a reddish tint. There is a light tan head of maybe one finger with dissipates quickly, leaving a layer of foam on the top.

S: Smells delightfully of sweet malt. It is deep and earthy. There are notes of vanilla, and piney hops. There are fruity notes, with plum and citrus both being discernable.

T: The taste starts out maltier than I would have expected, but this quickly gives way to a dry hop flavor. There is a little bit of grapefruit flavor. The oak flavor is not too pronounced, but it adds a spiciness to the beer and a subtle earth tone. Finish is long and dry but not terribly bitter.

M: Fairly light with moderate carbonation. Very dry.

O: Delicious. Oak flavor gives it even more depth than the original bastard.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

I tried this immediately following the standard Arrogant Bastard. It poured almost identically, with a dark and clear auburn color with thin light tan head. It smelled very similar too, with lots of warm citrus hops mixed with caramel malt. It tasted the same at first, with the strong orange and pine hops blended with caramel malt, but it also had a noticeable oak flavor blended in. It felt about the same as the original, watery with slight carbonation, and a smooth clean aftertaste with strong bitterness (and oak). Overall this took a great beer and made it even better, with a more unique and balance flavor.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Had this on tap. Deep, deep red with a little bit of froth on the top - no real head per se. Smells boldly of citrus and oily hops. Very complex taste. Everything the aroma promises and then some. Woody notes and hints of pine in addition to the citrus and hops. I think I discover something new about it every time I have this. Obviously this is a lot like Arrogant Bastard, but still wholly unique. It seems a little more confident, while Arrogant Bastard acts like it's got something to prove (though it proves itself with flying colors, to be sure). Will definitely have this again if it's on tap. Heck, for special occasions, I may even fork over the big bucks and pick up a six pack.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: Crystal clear, ruby red colored with nice lacing.

Smell: Malt aroma with some vanilla. not alot here.

Taste: Ahh. Wonderful balnce of malts, smoke, hop flavor, and the oakiness which in my opinion lend amost a cinnamony flavor to the beer. This is the best oaked beer I've had. The oak is just a perfect flavor adjunct to the malt/hops balance of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Drinkability: If they weren't so expensive, I'd be drinking these all the time. Wonderful beer.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer looks perfect; transparent dark-brown ruby with a big mocha tinged head.

Smells only slightly less hoppy than regular AB, but still has the massive chocolate, malty body with a hint of vanilla.

A rounder taste that AB, much less sharp. Hugely malty with west coast floral hoppiness. Maybe a hint of vanilla; but oddly I definitely pick up bourbon.

Creamy, big, not syrupy.

I drink it everyday ... one a day. JUst what you would expect from Oaked AB. Fantastic.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.