Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've never really cared that much for the original Arrogant Bastard. It's okay, and in a style that seems to be up my alley (I love hops, bitterness, etc.), but I always thought the brewers lived up to their hype and the beer was a dare to try something just overdone.

I got this six-pack (and another) from a friend of my wife for "fixing" her computer. A good deal for 20 minutes of work in my book, and despite some ambivalence regarding the original AB, I was intrigued by the oaking.

On occasion, I do drink wine, and I normally steer clear of Chardonnay, as I'm not crazy about drinking something that tastes like wood. Oaked AB demonstrates, though, that oaking may go better with beer than wine.

Poured into a nonic, the beer was very clear, and a flat medium-dark brown. Very little head (maybe due to the new glass, just washed) but what little there was lingered almost to the end.

Nose, just hops and maybe a light toasty malt aroma...I think I detected it only because I was looking for it. No evidence of oak in the scent.

The taste was where my appreciation for this beer took off. It seems like the oaking (assuming the formula is more or less the same as the original AB) mellows out a bit of the overly-assertive bitterness. It's still there, but, I guess I'd call it "flatter" than the normal AB. Hops are on the piney side, which I think matches well with the oak, which doesn't really stand out, but rather matches harmoniously with the other elements. Malt presence is subdued, as in the aroma. It's there, but you gotta look for it.

Mouthfeel, a bit thinner than I anticipated, but I think this supported the drinkability overall. More refreshing than I thought it would be.

I'm not sure I'd search this one out, given all the other great beers out there that I already love or have yet to try, but I wouldn't hesitate to drink it again.

Update, 11/21/07

I've since finished the remaining 5 beers in the six pack. I don't need to change the scoring overall, but I wanted to note that I think my description was off a bit. I don't know what I was smoking, but I missed out on the malt flavor in this beer. It's not nearly as subdued as I originally wrote. I think the beer is still in balance, due to the Stone proclivity for hops/bitterness, but the balance definitely tips more to the malt side than I'd originally indicated.

Although I wouldn't change my score, my respect for this beer actually grew as I finished the six-pack off. I think I'd be more likely to pick this one up, too.

SloMoSlovak, Nov 21, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours a very dark amber or light brown with a half finger creamy colored head. Laces awesomely. Head sticks around forever...love it

S- getting a little oak, but mostly some sweet smelling hops and dark malt. Smells yummy

T- getting some great oak flavor along with some nice hoppy bitterness...thats all, really. I'd almost like a little more character to it, but its good regardless.

M- nice body, pretty thick.

D- hides the ABV well. The bitterness and lack of anything aside from the oak flavor could be offputting, but whatever.

bigfnjoe, Aug 01, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Pours a dark maroon color with moderate carbonation. Half inch head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S - The hops are there to shake your hand along with plenty of citrus notes.

T - Well-balanced really is not the right word here, but there is plenty of malt for sweetness and plenty of hops for bitterness. The oak really brings out the sweetness of the malt that brings a great contrast. I know sounds odd but the hops win out in this brew which is a fantastic mouthful.

M - Pleasingly thick with nice warmth from the 7.2 abv.

D - The beer's only weakness, one is enough.

RichieS2, Jun 06, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Single poured into a pint glass. Nice dark ruby red/bown in color, fast dissipating head and noticeable lacing. Nothing to crazing in the aromatics department, some nice woody notes, like campfire wood and some malt. You get a nice mellow hit of the oak throughout the spiel. Flavor is of earthy wood is played well with the backdrop of the malt. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a great carbonation effect. Some of that wood sticks to the palate until you cleanse it with some more. Drinkability just went up a notch, thats for reminding me...

5 stars

BuffaloTapHugger, Apr 26, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

The aroma is surprisingly weak, but some light, caramel-like malt is present, along with light pine and citrus with a touch of woodiness. The light tan head is very long-lasting; the body is a dark reddish amber. The flavor is very malty with roasted malt and bread crust, which becomes a little sweeter towards the finish; there are some flavorful, spruce-like, resiny hops. The carbonation and bite are agreeably moderate; a woody, husky tingle hangs around; and there is considerable dryness from the alcohol.

Overall, quite bitter and dry but stimulating and flavorful. I found the aroma a little disappointing but was otherwise pleased.

fipoceilz7, Oct 15, 2014
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Growler poured into a Duvel tulip. Deep reddish brown body with an impressively voluminous head that stands a finger or so proud of the rim for a minute. Very slow rate of head reduction, intricate soapy and sticky lacing. Awesome looking beer.

Just like regular AB, a ton of caramel and brown sugar greet the nose, accompanied by a blast of pine and citrus hops that are at least a strong as the hops. The oak presence isn't at all unpleasant, but I'm not sure it improves things necesarily. In fact, it seems to somewhat blunt the raw power of the hops, particulary in the bitterness error. Not to say the big bad Bastard is tamed; indeed, it's still a force to be reckoned with. The oak simply seems to provide a certain smoothness while coaxing out lots of sweet and buttery subtleties from the malt profile. I prefer regular AB, but the oaked version is very nice as well. I'm curious how it would handle some cellar time. Possibly it would evolve into an exceedingly smooth sipper.

PDXHops, Aug 27, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hello, Oak. Nice to meet ya'.

Poured from the bottle into a belgian snifter. This beer has an alluring appearance. Sort of an opaque, brown-apricot color, with a creamy one-finger head that dissipates a bit too soon. Leaves traces of lace along the side of the glass, but nothing terribly intricate. The aroma is pleasant. Oaky, for sure, but with some subtle hints of undetectable fruit. Maybe some vanilla, maybe some molasses? The taste is where the OAB shines, though. Malty and sweet up front, with definite oak notes. But the hops strike hard and fast, cutting through just about everything else and leaving a trail of grapefruit and pine down the back of the throat. Wow. What a lip-smacker this is. I really, really like the way this beer tastes. Sturdy, if not overwhelming mouthfeel. It's been a while since my last Arrogant Bastard, but I can't imagine why after having this one. This just made my top-20 list of American craft brews. I'm definitely not worthy....

Atlas1, Jan 31, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a SA Perfect Pint glass,this beer is a deep copper color with a medium off white cascading head. This brew looks very good. The aroma is sweet with notes of plums and dark fruits,caramel,spices,and of course wood,with a hint of alcohol. The barrel aging is immediately obvious with oak and woodiness slowly giving way to bitter hoppiness. The mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is just about right,with the alcohol taste just barely present. The additional oak aging adds a new layer of complexity over regular Arrogant Bastard. The bitter character of this beer is the perfect foil to the delicious sweetness in the smell.

MikeM40, May 28, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz bottle with no freshness date. They must have missed this bottle during the stamping process. Other bottles on the shelf were marked 4-10-12, so I know that this is a relatively fresh bottle.

Pours reddish-brown in color with a tan colored head that stood about one finger tall after the pour. Nice ruby red hues when you hold it up to the light. The head has settled a thin layer, but there is plenty of lacing on the sides of the glass.

The aroma is more malt-heavy than I anticipated. I'm also getting juicy hops and just a bit of wood.

Taste: Malt greets the palate first, but is quickly followed up by some moderate hop bitterness. The oak flavor is very subtle and comes out about midway. There's a bit of sweetness that helps balance of the other flavors. I'm getting mostly malt in the finish although the hops linger a bit too.

Medium-full bodied, and the juicy hop character adds an almost syrupy texture. Moderate to low carbonation.

A nice strong ale overall.

Morey's Bottom Line: This is honestly a bit tamer than I was expecting. It's still a very tasty and somewhat unique beer. The oak is very mild and this seems less hoppy than the original bastard.

Morey, Feb 21, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Deep crimson ruby red with flecks of dark auburn brown. Half an inch of beautiful caramel tan head. Beautiful lace grips the sides of my glass with every grip and does not want to let go.

S - Smoky, oaky, sweet bourbon? Very complex.

T - Very smooth. Very bold. The sweet, creamy, malty deliciousness is balanced by a kick of some zesty hops that taste like citrus fruit to me

M - Some vanilla and spice in a medium mouthfeel that masks the carbonation splendidly. Very warming beer. A nice balanced bitter aftertaste remains for quite some time.

D - A tremendous beer. Need to get me a sixer of this asap!

Overall, this in one tremendous beer that only gets better and more complex as it warms up. Really top-notch!

JAStheAce, Jun 05, 2009

49th review on BA
bottle to pint
enjoy by 6/10 so not the freshest one

App- Very murky brown with gold and orange highlights. Poured with almost no head but it was an off tan color and it looked very creamy in the glass.

Smell- Sugary, a little roasted malt and some vanilla.

Taste- It's drinking like a much bigger beer and it's got a creamy texture with a nice bitter after taste. I don't get much of the oak flavor and attributes but I know from memory it tastes different than the regualar bastard.

Mouth- Medium bodied, nice carbonation. Doesnt leave the mouth dry or smacking your lips with sweetness from the vanilla and candied fruit.

Drink- It's a very good beer. Could have a few during a sitting & @ 7.2 would make the night a lot more fun too. Would like to have the next one paired to really highlight a cuisine.

FosterJM, Nov 13, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Fairly aggressive pour leaded to a 1 finger tan head over an orangish brown opaque body. Smell is sweet honey and hops. Hoppy taste balanced by bready malt and oak & alcohol (only every so often) in the finish. Nice thick creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, I'm sad I only had a single, I could have went for 1 or 2 more. Very good beer and if you have to pick between the Oaked A-B and "standard" A-B, go with the Oaked. Dangerously drinkable at 7.20%.

jculler82, Feb 28, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

2009 bottle poured into a few taster glasses.

A - Pours murky brown with a small half finger tall off-white head leaving very little lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of rich caramel malt, toffee, citric hops, and some earthy wood tannins from the wood chips. This has a lot going on but they all complement each other leaving a complex yet enjoyable nose.

T - Starts off with a big hit of sweet caramel and toffee from all that malt slowly giving way to a mix of dulled citric hops, vanilla, and pallet drying wood tannins. The dryness carries over to the finish, mixing with a bit of the sweetness from the malt, and lingers for some time. Overall I enjoyed this one, it was complex yet enjoyable. I am not sure I could have more than one at a time but once in a while is fine by me.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. It has an overall slick feel with a mix of malted sweetness and tannin dryness in the finish, lingering for some time.

O - I think I enjoy oaked bastard more than the regular version. This one is more complex and keeps you on your toes, while the regular version is a bit one dimensional. Pretty good stuff.

orangesol, Jun 02, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours clear dark copper with red highlights. A large ecru fluffy head has good retention and tons of lacing.

Smell is very strongly earth-wood. It has a hint of bourbon like smokiness as well.

Flavor is almost mellow? Wood permeates the entire taste, while not overpowering it. Hops are understated and the malt is very roasty, which goes well with the wood.

Texture is smooth, the aging takes out the punch.

While it's not the ABA I first drank, it is it's own animal. The wood is a tad over powering for me, but definitely unique.

DOA

Drinkerofales, Feb 25, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

A: A hazy, rusty reddish-brown. A thick tan head, slowly dissolving and plenty of lacing.

S: The oak scent is very prominent atop some molasses-like sweetness.

T: Rich, roasted and well balanced. Plenty of sweetness along with the bite of the oak. An aggressive hop finish makes this beer very well rounded.

MF: Very low carbonation and thus smooth going down, but the oak and the hops give this a sharp bite as well. Thick and chewy.

D: I think this is better than the original-the oak really balances with the sweetness. Easy to drink despite the high alcohol. Another creative brew by Stone that works really well. Nice to see this in 12 oz bottles and year-round.

rxdrewthejew, Nov 26, 2007

12 oz Bottle poured mahogany brown slight white head into a pint glass

Aromas of citrus pine and wood

Flavors of hops, hops, and hops along with some pine mellowed some by the oak

Nice clean mouthfeel

Drinkability : well one is enough at a time, it would be great with spicy chicken wings and yes I will buy it again

joepais, Feb 01, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Dark brown, little head disappeared quickly.

S: Floral and fruity, the oak is very noticeable.

T: Same as smell, explosive maltiness. Orange citrus malt hints

M: Full-bodied lots of favor with a clear finish.

D: One of my favorite beers, with a flavor demanding moderation

IPAescotch, Jul 11, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle from jungle Jim's in cincinatti into a weizen glass.

A: minimal head on a cloudy brown red beer. Translucent to opaque.

S: I can't smell anything. Maybe a little sweet with some malts.

T: the best part. Full hop flavor with some oaky, tree-y flavor. It feels very naturey.

M: full, but not overwhelming. refreshing hop blast, and no stickiness afterwards.

O: a little overhyped for me, but still good. Full, tasty. Good for drinking in a log cabin, if you have lots of money to spend on it. And the log cabin.

beerme626, Apr 07, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Growler fill from Stone Brewing Co.

Pours a very dark crimson-brown with a small foamy 1/4 inch head that settles to a small cap. Small streaks and dots of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of hops, sweet malt, and some oak wood aromas. There is also an earthy, herby aroma I am getting as well. Taste is of some toasted malt, herbal hops, and a woody earth-like flavor that tones down the overall hop flavors. A mild hop bitterness lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a smooth but slightly flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer where the oak gives Arrogant Bastard's hop overload a bit of a toning down.

UCLABrewN84, Sep 28, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

A- Pours nicely, dark deep opaque red. Finishes with a good two finger rich brown head that laces and sticks to the glass.

S- Kinda dissappointed on the smell. Not a whole lot to it. Strong hops flavor that dominates all others.

T- Good taste, rich, with some complex hops taste. A light flavor of oak adds very well to the taste.

M- Good mouthfeel, thick for an ale, but enjoyable. Starts off with a heavy feel, smooth on the tongue and finishes leaving a slight bite at the end.

D- Good drinkablitiy. The bite on the back end and the weight of the beer makes it a little more difficult to make into a session beer but I'd drink it again.

DackAchan, Dec 04, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a nonic. Nice dark brown color with a tan head of 3 fingers. Lacing is incredible and the retention is stellar.

Aroma is mostly hoppy with just a faint hint that oak was involved in this beer.

Taste is a downgrade from the fresh growler I had of this. The flavors are still good but a bit out of whack. Lots of malt sweetness with a big wood note. Hops are more subdued and I don't get much bourbon at all.

Nice and smooth, very quaffable.

illidurit, Jan 29, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a dark brown-copper hue with a thin dark beige head. Aroma is a mix of sweet toffee, smoked oak, and a hint of citrus. The oak barrel taste is definitely there as well as some alcohol, like a weak alcohol scotch/whiskey. A good amount of thickness, and little carbonation, which I like in a thick beer. for 7.2% ABV, not too strong on the alcohol taste which makes it very drinkable. A decent anytime beer based on pure taste. However, a bit pricey at $3 a bottle at a supermarket.

Evocatus, Mar 05, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz bottle drank from a standard american pint glass. there was a best by date on the bottle and it wasnt up yet, but i cant remember what it was.

A- this one pours out a reddish brown colored body with a finger and a half of off white colored head. the head lasts a while, leaving behind small spots of lacing.

S- sweet caramel and toffee malts. a little bit of vanilla from the oak. a little bit of booze. tons of piny and citric hops. lots of grapefruit.

T- the taste follows suit. starts off with sweet caramel and toffee like malts that eventually get over powered by the grapefruit and pine flavored hops. slight astringency from the oak.

M- medium to full bodied and well carbonated. there is a nice dryness form the oak chips.

D- easy to drink and a nice change of pace from the original bastard, but i think the original one edges this one out. even more so when the price point comes into play.

jwinship83, May 10, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Dark, nut brown in color. Thin bubbly brown head fades away quickly. Sheets of lacing as you drink.

S - A floral hop aroma and a hint of the oak. Also a light smoked aroma comes through.

T - A little sweet at first followed by a good kick of earthy and spicy hops. Almost a mint taste in there as well. The oaked taste comes through late but is not very strong.

M/D - A creamy and smooth feel and very drinkable. Alcohol is surprsingly well masked given the higher ABV.

ckeegan04, Jul 04, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into my DFH pint glass the color of dark brewed iced tea with an inch of off white head that slowly fades and leaves a slight lacing. Smells of caramel malts, grapefruit, toasted grain. Tastes of rich, oakey wood, sweet malt, mildly bitter grapefruit and citrus. Hop bitterness comes through in the finish. Very smooth and mellow with medium carbonation. A nicely balanced beer. I could drink a few of these in an evening.

ClockworkOrange, Jan 23, 2007
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.