Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,850 | Hads: 5,117
4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a hazy amber with a thick beige head that dies to a thin line of bubbles. Nice lacing down the glass. Smells great, like oily citrus hops. A great woody citrus flavor with some sweet malts. Delicious. It is much more tamed than the original Arrogant Bastard. Even the bitter finish is more mellow, it's still there but not as strong. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth....I can't really find any faults with this beer, it is definitely up there with the best.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

picked a six pack of this during my superbowl beer run finally decide to crack one open and review one.
poured from the bottle into a pint glass
appearance a dark orange color with a head that stays around
smell nice aroma that is well balanced
taste ,mouthfeel and drinkablity just wonderful

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance was just of that as the regular Arrogan Bastard Ale. A nice deep reddish color with a nice tan head that stuck to the glass.

Smell was wuite similar to the reg ABA but more mellow, not as much hops but some vanilla.

Taste: Very mellow. Good. Hops weren't as pronounced but they were there. The was a very mellow flavor to the brew. A very vanilla like flavor was there. It was really good after it warmed up.

Mouthfeel was creamy and it was very drinkable. Not harsh at all. Very good.

Not worth the $70 for a 3L bottle, but benmiliron and I split the cost and now that we did it once we don't have to do it again.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale pours a dark reddish brown with an off white head that laces nicely as it fades. It came in a brown twelve ounce bottle with graphics painted on. The aroma is all about citrusy hoppy goodness. There might even be a hint of oak too, but it's way buried. Citrusy hops dominate the flavor and as it warms the oak becomes more noticeable. Excellent beer, highly recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

A - Ruby red/brown'ish/mahogany, small slightly creamy head that dissipated fast. No sediments and some ok lacing sticking around but not too much.

S - Smell is Chinook hops and some sweeter alcohol. Smells a little toasty or kinda wood like. Larger smell then normal aba but not too different. Earthy, can definitely make out some oak.

T - Taste is great, rich chinook bitter hops, mixed with a kinda wood/oak backing. Hops first, oak second, and big aftertaste of bitterness mainly wood/oak/hop bitterness. Some caramel.. and big toasty malty thing going on.

M - Starts smooth but quickly worked into a smaller bubble fizzy thing. Goes down cool/not hot/alcoholish, but a big afterthought of bitterness that hangs around.

O - Overall, this is another great ABA style, I think the smell could be stronger on the oak side, but that might be overwhelming and unbalance the taste side. Definitely a little more on the wood/oak side of things with the normal aba styling, another winner from Stone. This is better then og ABA, screaming bitterness and must have a higher IBU rating. I just wish the sixers were a little less pricey ($15.99 +). Thumbs UP~!!

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

This beer just blew my mind. The oak aroma sets you up for a complex array of flavors. Some people were saying that it has too strong of a grapefruit taste. The grapefruit is there but balances perfectly. Great head retention when poured into a glass and the color was one of the nicest hues of red I have ever seen. My friends were eve commenting on how hilarious the bottle was. This is my perfect beer and I could drink it everyday. I was worried that my $16.00 was not going to be worth it but im getting another one this weekend. Great call on this one. Fantastic!

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard is a stupendous shade of sunset coral when viewed with bright sunshine behind the glass. Fat slices of tangerine orange can be seen at the edges and are a perfect color complement to the rest of the beer. The thickly creamy head (that is somewhere between pale caramel, pastel orange and golden beige) manages to slather the glass with butter-like streamers of lace. This is a gorgeous ale.

The nose is equally as good and reminds me of a caramel malty IPA, or even a DIPA, that contains boatloads of pungent, citric zesty, spruce-like hops... which is pretty much what Arrogant Bastard is. I don't remember this much fruitiness in the standard AB, but it has been a while since I treated myself to a bomber. Strangely enough, I can't really appreciate the oakiness in the nose.

My palate must have undergone a few changes (development, I hope) since my last Stone AB because the beer isn't the crazed bitter bomb that my memory tells me it was. Actually, it's more delicous than I remember. Whether that has anything to do with the oak chips is hard to say. I was almost ready to say that I can't appreciate oak on the palate either when... hot damn... there is it, making a big splash on the finish.

The beginning and middle portions of each mouthful are dominated by huge flavors of caramel, white grapefruit pith, bitter orange and pine sap. There's nothing better than Chinook unleashed. Rarely have I tasted a more aggressive ale that is so well-behaved in the mouth. Immediately after the swallow is where the caramelized sugar and oak make their move and turn a great beer into a phenomenal one.

I didn't think it was possible, but warming brings about an even greater intensity. Anyone who thinks this beer or its un-oaked brother is overrated is completely off his or her rocker. This is big beer that was brewed with bourbon-loving hopheads in mind. Since that describes me perfectly, it's no surprise that I'm in awe of what Stone has done.

How could the body/mouthfeel be anything less than fantastic? It's as firm as polished granite and is equally as smooth. It also possesses a luscious creaminess that promotes gulping rather than sipping. I find that I'm drinking waaay too fast, as much for how the beer feels as for how it tastes. Well, maybe not.

I'd have to drink Arrogant Bastard Ale and Oaked AB side by side to determine how much they actually differ. My guess is that the oak chips definitely add something of value. I did a little jig when I found out that Stone decided to release this beer in user-friendly 12 oz. bottles. I'm doing an even more enthusiastic jig now that I've had it. Smashing stuff.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

A-Dark amber color with an off white head of foam, lacing throughout the drink

S-hops and floral smell is prominent

T-strong citrus and hop taste and you can taste the difference that the oak aging makes over the normal bastard.

M-Lightly carbonated with bit of an alcohol bite at the end of the drink

D-nice smooth drink with a decent ABV. This beer benefits from the aging process. Obviously not a party beer but goes well with dinner or a night in with friends

4.82/5  rDev +15%

A- Beautiful deep dark brown with a full thick head that stayed until I drank and it had the best lacing I've ever seen

S- Earthy and smokey, lots of dark fruit, some peach, and either oranges or apricots mixed in

T- Sharp and direct...earthy but with lots of the fruit I mentioned above, but all blended perfectly

M- Soft and smooth with a little bite at the end

D- In my honest opinion, this is one of the top 5 beers ever. I don't know much but it gets my vote

4.82/5  rDev +15%

12oz bottle poured into snifter.

A: Mahogany read with a large thick cloudy dark head. Lacing all over the place and had a stronghold the whole beer.

S: Hops, malt and plenty of sweet fruit. Vanilla was the most overtaking. Inviting almost with some cherry phenols.

T: Theres the wood with the hops. The sweet hops were paired so nicely with the oakey flavorings- the vanilla mostly. Outfreakingstanding. The malt is intense for such a low abv in terms of others that just dont have what this one does.

M: Coating of the hops. Carbonation there but not too much, great texture.

D: Complexity and intricacy is through the roof. This beer is flat out fantastic. Such a smooth taste, didnt think the AB could be improved on. Not too strong to not be able to enjoy several.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Poured an Deep amber coler from an 12oz bottle with an offwhite lacing. Intial nose is sweet woody hops and citrus aroma. Taste is amazing filled with burst of tangy hops, vanilla and spice. Mouthfeel is great with a long lasting oaky finish. Can't put this beer down!

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Had this baby on tap at Anam Cara, served in a wineglass.

Poured a dark amber/brown body with a thick white head.

The nose was a beautiful mix of oak, big malt and some soft citrus piney hops.

Taste was along the same lines. Very rich, medium to full bodied, and extremely smooth from start to finish. A surprisingly big but mellowed caramel malt and citrus/piney hop bitterness and taste are actually very well balanced with an extremely noticeably woody oak touch in every sip. It ends with a lingering bitterness.

I’ve never been crazy about Arrogant bastard (always felt the double bastard and imperial stout from stone blew it away), but OMFG, this is one killer beer. The aging mellows it a lot and really brings out the malt notes and softens the bitterness. At the same time the woody/oak quality add a whole new dimension to the beer. Very nice. I wish they’d bring this out full time alongside the regular arrogant bastard in 22oz.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Darkish-amber color witha thin, brown head and some lacing. Aroma is nice and oak-ish, slightly fruity/malty as well. Taste is really strong with hops/malt upfront and a nice oak aftertaste that is somewhat dry towards the back of the throat. Second sip confirms a floral/grapefruit taste in the middle before hitting the back of the tongue. Very smooth and complex. Basically Arrogant Bastard with a nice oak feel to it. Lots of lacing left behind as well.

Definitely worth the $2.50/12oz bottle. Would buy this beer again for sure.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

12oz bottle poured into a small snifter... Let's see what this is all about!

A - Pours a hazy reddish-brown body with a ruby-red glow to it. Nice creamy light golden head. Very solid head retention. Not much in the way of carbonation.

S - Incredible! I could definitely smell that vanilla oakiness to it. Apart from that, very nice pungent hoppiness, some pronounced maltiness and some pepper and fruit notes (grapefruit, cherry, maybe raisins). As intriguing as it may get.

T - Some vanilla and caramel, immediately followed by a strong hop bite (very citrus-like, mostly grapefruit notes, reminiscent of many good American IPA's) and hints of dark fruit. Also some peppercorn-like spiciness. The finish is dry; it has got some bitterness, a bit of breadiness, and plenty of oak. Delicious!

M - Medium-bodied, with very moderate carbonation. Very intense mouthfeel. The beer is literally bursting with flavour. It coats the mouth very nicely, too.

D - I only had one bottle, which went down quite smoothly, but I got the impression you would want to enjoy this one in moderation.

This was my first Stone beer, and needless to say it knocked my socks off!

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Poured into a pint glass. Nice thick head, beautiful amber color with a slight chill haze. Lacing on the glass the entire session. The aroma is of floral hops and an earthy bonque of hops. The taste is fruity sweet, peaches and rose hips come to mind. The body is medium to full and the alcohol is well hidden. After a pint I want more, but I can say the alcohol buzz is now there. There tends to be a smoothier fell to this brew and I can only assume that it is from the oak chips.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance – This one came out a pristine orange-brown in color and was brilliant. It brought up a huge, stubborn, monstrous head in every pour from the 3L bottle. The head clung to the inside of the glass leaving gorgeous lacing and went down in clumps of shaving cream-like foam.

Smell – The classic AB nose is here for sure. The malts are dark and come out a bit better though since the giant hop aroma is somewhat muted. Along with this is the oak. It’s typical American-style oak meaning no big vanilla notes. These wonderful smells fade into a nice, deep, malty caramel at the end. It gives the impression of light whisky.

Taste – The Stone hop combination comes out much more at the taste. Even with the huge, dark, roasty malts coming at you full force they are still an even match. The malts darken up more on the tongue. Finally, the roasty malts and resiny pine give way to a light caramel and toffee finish.

Mouthfeel – This seems a little lighter in the mouth than the regular AB, although I’d still consider it between medium and full-bodied. The sharp bitterness and sticky sweetness are softened by the oak flavors to give this one an incredibly smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability – I hate to use the phrase, “smooth as silk,” but man oh man was this ever so. This was one of the true pleasures in life. What a treat.

Comments – This is probably the biggest “session beer” that I’ve had to date. Skyhand and I had no trouble killing off this 3L bottle. Well worth the $60 that Stone is charging.

Update – Popped the ’06 right after it came out. This is edgy right off the shelf. The oak is raw. I keep checking my cheeks for splinters. This has a lot of spank that needs to be cellared out unless of course you like a little smack to go along with your bastard, which of course we all do. I suggest drinking fresh and aging as well.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Dark, dark brown with a hint of red. The whitish tan head is perfect. The lacing is perfect. The carbonation is great.

Smell: It smells like a particular kind of hops that I love. The same hops are used in New Belgium's "dig" beer. It's very fruity, like mangoes and plums.

Taste: Awesome. Very complex and difficult to sort through. Perfect malt/hop balance. Woody, fruity,...

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick body, creamy, no carbonation sting (which I actually like).

I love this beer. It's in my top 5.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Picked up at Halftime Beverages (loading up on the good stuff CT can't get...). Dark brown/orange color, with a big frothy head. Nice hoppy aroma, with a little bit of citrus. Taste is incredible! Powerful hops, but in now way overwhelming. I don't know if it's the oak chips that soften things, but this is probably the smoothest beer in this class I've ever tried. For 7.2% it is extremely easy drinking; I could actually see this as a session beer. This is one I'll have to load up on the next time I go out of state.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

This is truly one of the best Strong Ales. Beautiful dark amber color with a nice white head. Taste is quick to announce the oak , malts , hops & woods. Smooth drinker, with a nice mouth feel that is not overwhelming with any one flavor or to heavy. Easy drinker that is not to heavy yet very smooth. Just a great brew all around. Just need the stores to stock it more often here in NY.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Served from the always attractive 3L bottle. Luckily we had a new garbage can anda bunch of ice around to chill this bad boy. I have to give the apperance/presentation a 5 because this bottle is so damn cool with the lock and all. The beer itself poured beautifully and looked exacctly like the "un-Oaked" Arrogant Bastard we poured side-by-side. A creamy, frothy head that cascades down the sides of the Arrogant Bastard flute-like glass. The head on the oaked AB lasted the entire glass and then some. Fluffy, soft bubbles formed a nice stiff heaed atop this beer. The aroma is hoppy and sweet but not nearly as stong with the hops as the regular AB. A bit of citrus in the nose as well. The flavor is smoky sweet with a burnt wood flavor. This beer is very very smooth. A lot of the hoppiness has mellowed out to make this a more malty tasting brew. Notes of currant, caramel, and mango fill in the flavor well. It is a slight bit thinner in the mouth but is still very velvety and smooth on the palate. Aging with oak is a definate improvement upon an already exceptional beer.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Fantastic beer. I love the regular Arrogant Bastard, and this is even better. Dark maroon/brown with a decent head. Smells and tastes like Stone for sure - HOPS. Bitter and heavy and full of flavor - very complex beer - this is Stone at its best. I've had three 12oz bottles and I feel great. This is great beer.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Worth the price if you can get it, especially in a single.

A = Thick two finger head, sticky lacing. Dark reddish brown.

S = Caramel, hops, slightly smoky wood.

T = This is by far my favorite Bastard! The oak aging really mellows the hops and lets rich malts make an appearance. Mature, complex taste (Grandpa Bastard?)

M = Medium body. The carbonation keeps things light.

D = I rarely have more than two or three beers in a sitting, but could easily put down a six rack.

Sublime balance.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

I had this for the first time on tap at Stone Brewery for their Hoppy Fathers Day buffet... and ... WOW. I loved the oak flavor. It was very strong, and obviously the primary flavor of this beer. This coupled with the fantastic BBQ I was eating... well, they just went hand in hand.

All in all, I rated it high because how it accompanied my meal, it was faaan-tastic! I don't know if I would have loved it as much on its own... but my next BBQ, some Oaked Bastard is what I will be serving.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured this one into a pint glass. The beer has a reddish-brown amber color to it, with a nice off-white (slightly yellowish) head. The head is nice and sudsy and leaves lacing down the sides of the glass.

The aroma is, like most Stone beers, hoppy. Lots of hop aroma for a beer that is technically not an IPA. Underneath the earthy hop aroma is a strong, sweet malt smell that lets you know there is substance to this beer. There is also a slightly woody/piney aroma mixed with vanilla that mingles with the two dominant characters.

The flavor is like heaven on earth. Or hell, if you're more into that. Wow, this stuff tastes amazing. Somewhat syrupy sweet malts mix with a strong dose of citrus-laden, bitter hops. Delicious and well balanced. Vanilla notes are there as well and help smooth things out. The most hidden flavor is the oak, but the wood taste is still there and well done. Enough oak to give this beer a more refined flavor, but not enough to turn it into a woody mess.

The mouthfeel is rich and creamy. The head sustains very well throughout the drinking of beer and aids in trapping many of the aromatics from escaping.

The drinkability is superb and somewhat scary. The 7.2% ABV is virtually unnoticeable and could easily creep up on you. I could drink this nectar of the gods all night. Excellent job Stone! The regular Arrogant Bastard is a great beer, but this has got to be one of the best beers I have ever had.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from bottle into point glass.

A-Pours a very clear and clean looking deep amber/mahogany color. Off white head that laces all the way down to the last drop.

S-Very grainy and woody. Smells like biscuits and the oak aromas cut through. Good hop presence as well.

T/M-Wowers!!! What a beer!!! Tastes just like it smells. The oak flavoring hits in at the very end. Grains and hops are balanced well and the hops combine with the oak for a nice piney/earthly finish.

Overall this beer is one of a kind. Thanks to CrazyMacHarris99 for this perfect specimen.

Drink em' if ya got em'

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.