Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,046 | Reviews: 1,848
4.03/5  rDev -4%

A - Beautiful mahogany in color. Has think lasting tan head. Carbonation is visible. A little lacing as well.

S - Pine and citrus hops dominate the nose. Toffee malts and alcohol are in the background trying to be noticed. Also picking up a woody character towards the end of the nose.

T - Sweet up front unlike the nose this time with a citrus bitterness in the middle with tinge of alcohol and oak.

M/D/N Medium bodied and soft, with medium carbonation. Fills nice on the palate. I could see drinking plenty of this beer with no problem. Drinkability is good. Although doesnt warrant the high price tag at 18 dollars a six pack.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Amber in appearance with some ruby hightlights. A tall off white head sits on top. the head is slow to fade and leaves some lacing on the glass.
Aroma is wet oily hops up front and caramel malts. Oak aroma is real light amd sutle.
Taste is pretty good although I don't think I'll be a fan of this one.
Drinks with a good hop bite and a desent malt presence. The oak taste is quite apparent from first sip, but something is missing. I'm waiting for the bourbon bite but there is none.
The oak chips dry out the beer and make it quite bitter and puckering.
I think Arrogant Bastard is a good beer but the addition of the wood chips takes away alot of the taste and basically the character and personally of the beer.
Just good.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Alrighty then. Big ass 3-Liter bottle with copious Stone Brewing Company rhetoric screen printed on glass. Very pompous. Lock and chain. Extremely pompous. Let's see if this one lives up to the hype...

Served at cellar temperature in a pint glass. Several times.

A - Pours a light, completely clear chestnut color with rusty highlights; looks a bit like a dark cognac. Very fluffy off-white head.

S - Toasted caramel maltiness with well rounded maple and vanillin notes. Some raisins. Some wet cardboard. Really the only place the oak shines through.

T - Maltiness takes on a dry, chocolate cake character. Aftertaste is green and hoppy - quite bitter, and just as it begins to fade, it repeats again to remind you it's there. Nice, but lacking any real bravado or standout traits.

M - Watery coming into the mouth, with a bit of fizz to fill the mouth. Turns smoother as it approaches room temperature.

D - Overall, this beer is slightly underwhelming given the hype and rarity. And the math doesn't work out in favor of the consumer. The bottle is 101.4 oz., which equals 6.33 pints... maybe 8 pints if you leave room for head. At $70 a bottle, you're talking $8.75 a glass. Now, I could justify this price for a full pint on tap... but not for a glass at home from a bottle that you inevitably have to have others pitch in to finish.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

12oz bottle poured into my cigar city snifter!

A- A beautiful beer. Pours dark amber in color. When held to the light there are flashes of ruby red. A huge billowing head that has excellent retention. There is a smashing amount of sticky lacing clinging to my glass.

A- Piny hops up in the nose right away. I could smell them as soon as I cracked this one open. The wood is subdued but is definitely present.

T- Well like I was guessing from the aroma, the hops pack a punch. They lead the way here. They are followed by a spice that I can't quite finger. There is a caramel malt profile lingering in the back row. The wood comes out as the beer warms.

M- Medium in body with a nice crisp finish.

D- Pretty good, I dont know if I'd choose to drink it all night, but I was definitely wishing I had a bomber and not just a 12oz bottle.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

I'm a big fan of the original Arrogant Bastard. This one is excellent too, but I think I like the original better. This one pours nicely, and the deep red color is beautiful. The oaky flavor is lovely, but the original AB is really special. The added oak flavor is a nice twist, but not needed.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

I couldn't resist picking this up and giving it a try.

Appearance is a gorgeous deep red/amber/brown with a rich, creamy looking head. The foam fades fairly quickly to a collar - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch in thickness. The head hangs around on your glass for a while, too.

Smell: I noticed oak in the aroma of the beer immediately. This, for me, is a bit unusual as I consider my sense of smell somewhat lacking. I picked up some caramel hints along with a traditional ale aroma. The aroma from this beer is quite unique, and is especially noticeable after the beer has breathed for a bit.

Taste: This is a very interesting and complex beer. It benefits well from an opportunity to breath, in my opinion. The effect of the oak process is certainly reflected in the taste -- for me, as the beer hits the back of my throat. The open is a nicely bittered ale, decently rich in hops with a hint of bitter citrus. The initial bitterness fades a bit, replace with some oak hints combined with malt, caramel, and a grapefruit sensation. There is a lingering hops taste, but some sips produced a long caramel/malt finish as well -- very interesting.

Mouthfeel: This beer has a bit of a "bite" to it, but as a strong ale, I would expect that. This bite isn't from aggressive carbonation (which I don't care for), but is from the power and complexity of this beer. Some people may not like the acidic feeling on the back of the throat (if they even experience it), but to me, it added to the overall experience.

Drinkability: I prefer to drink this beer slowly, allowing it to warm up a bit and to breathe. At 7.2% ABV, it might be a bit high for a session beer -- and some might find the powerful, complex character of this beer too much for a session. Nevertheless, it is an enjoyable drinking experience, and I rated it as such.

I would not recommend this as a first step for one moving away from BMCs, and perhaps not even as a second step. Just like DIPAs, it isn't going to be a beer that ushers in a gentle transition! Other selections might be recommended for that purpose. It is, however, clearly a world-class American Strong Ale, and excellently represents this style. For the experienced drinker of specialty/craft beers, this is a must-try.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Hazy, dark brown in color with a ginormous mound of froth that takes 5 minutes to decline to a blanket of tan head with monsterous lacing. The aroma suggests a boozy malted milk shake with herbal qualities and evergreen brown sugar. Nice. The flavor delivers a really wild cotton candy malt with sprucey tinges. Quite sweet with a nutty brown sugar idea. There's a slight medicinal flavor here, but still very sweet. This is solidly medium bodied but it has a bit of an aqueous feel with very delicate carbonation. Like it's original incarnation, this Arrogant Bastard is a very enjoyable brew. No disappointments here.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Dark brown ale with an expanding fizz of off white head, goes from about one finger at the end of the pour to two+ fingers that stay for several minutes. Spotty lacing.

Aromas are strong and woody, with an herbal backing. Lesser notes of florals and citrics from the hopping, while there is also some sweetness of thick, alcoholic malt.

Dark pine oil hopping anchors the flavor, herbals follow, featuring a bit of mint. The malt is thick and sweet, also noticeably oaky. Creamy and thick, a large beer, somewhat challenging. Dry finish with big wood notes.

Interesting twist on their Strong Ale, this is a very decent oaked brew, and a must for fans of the Bastard.

12oz bottle poured into a pint

Pours a murky mahogany color with tiny bits of yeast suspended in the body. Head was a two finger beige pillow that took a while to fade and left huge chunks of lace.

Smells of wood, smoke, vanilla, piney hops, and caramel fill the nostrils. Minus the hops, and it reminds me of a scotch I once had, whose name escapes me right now.

Taste is more sweet caramel and wood. Hints of pine and honey round out the backside of the swirl in my mouth.

This really reminds me of a scotch, very tame and mellow mouthfeel. Creamy and medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good, surprising considering the oak aging and the alcohol content.

This was a perfect celebratory beer after my alma mater Saint Joseph's routed villanova by 22. Perfect.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

A- Copper/brown. Tan, lacy foam. Looks very good.

S- Syrupy malt, grapefruit hops.

T- This brew attacks strong and straight up the middle with a dominating strike of grapefruit-bitter hops. Mid-palate is rich malt. The finish is overwhelmingly, aggressively hop bitterness. A touch of barrel char? The vanillin oak slightly attenuates the edge compared to the Arrogant.

M, D- CO2 level is very lively and gives bouyancy to the significant weight. ABV just detectable. A substantial beer, this.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Bottle from Bear World in Watertown.

A - Bright. Amber with ruby notes. A fluffy two finger head of big tight bubbles sits there with a light brown colour. Nice rings of thin lace all the way down and a half finger of retention.

S - Huge caramel mixing with citrus hops. Woody and earthy as well.

T - I can only get a bit of vanilla from the oak. Sweet caramel and earth flow towards resinous hops with a minty/herbal and grapefruity character. A distinct woody note is there after a while.

M - Nice and bitter with gentle carbonation and a medium body.

O/D - Pretty solid, yet I can't see the oak imparting too much character on this to make a significant difference. A tasty beer, but it seems like oak influence takes away from what was great about the original. Still a great beer, yet building on something that didn't need tampering with.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

I poured this beer into a pint glass, it has a nice dark amber body with not a lot of head. The smell is of roasted malts and some citrus hops comes through. The taste is a little of oak and roasted malts up front, then some bitter hops hits the back of the tongue. It has a nice mouth feel and overall a good and balanced beer.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured from the bottle, into a pub glass.

A nice rich brown, with fluffy kaki head! Very pretty beer!

Smell, to be expected, there was some Oak character in there, not as much as I would have expected, I had to search for it. Has a very sweet smell, almost like candy. Had some real bourbon/cognac quality to it. Very complex nose.

Taste was very good. Malty, with some hops to come in after. Had some fruity, citrus qualities, and again, you can taste a hint of woody oak.

A drinkable beer, but in low quantities, not one I would want more then one or two of.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

On tap at the Meddlesome Moth in Dallas.

Looks brown/garnet and leaves lacing all over.

Mostly citrusy/grapefruit hops with a faint oakiness.

Big grapefruit flavor. Malt and oaky goodness lay behind the initial bitter hop punch. Leaves a hop and oak aftertaste.

Dry, faint carbonation, and a medium body.

My first foray into the Arrogant Bastard lineup and I am won over. All the hops and oak flavor got a little tiresome towards the end but still a great brew.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Pours a clear dark amber with a nice white head and minimal lacing. Surprising considering the amount of hops here. Smell is immediately of oak, dry bittering hops, and slight malt sweetness. Taste is a blast in the face of bittering hops, dry in the back of the throat aftertaste. Oak melds pretty well with the hops and kind of eases the hop assault. Nice thick mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Very drinkable, I can see it paired with a nice sharp cheddar.

12oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a clear dark amber color with two fingers of dense white foam. Retention and lacing are both superb.

S: Malts balanced between bready and sweet caramel are the most dominate flavors. Close behind this I get significant citrus and pine hop aroma. Spicy and vanilla oak round out the aromas.

T: Interesting, lots of flavor packed in this for the ABV. The beer starts of with lots of bready malts with a bit of toffee sweetness. On the dry side for the style, but what characterizes this style anyways? I get lots of hop bitterness and piney hop flavor. Spicy wood flavor is there, but not overbearing. It mixes well with the bready malts and piney hops.

M: Medium to low thickness with average carbonation. This is an easy drinking beer and the mouthfeel works well for it, but it's not in your face like a lot of American Strong Ale mouthfeels.

O: This has the hops of an IPA and and a great malt profile with a strong bready and toffee flavor. Very strong flavors without intense bitterness, sweetness, or ABV. The sum of the parts is what creates the intensity. Oakiness adds an additional complexity. I really enjoyed this.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Let me start off by admitting that I am not a big fan of Arrogant Bastard. It was actually the beer that got me into Stone, but in retrospect, it's probably one of my least favorites of their offerings. I appreciate the whole "You're Not Worthy" bitterness concept, but I'll go ahead and compromise my own masculinity by saying that I guess I'm not worthy because it's just a bit too bitter for me to really enjoy it...at least until I'm about halftway through the bottle and the alcohol starts to cushion the blow.

Nonetheless, as soon as I heard that the Oaked Bastard was available in bottles (which occurred less than a week ago in my neighborhood), I had to have some. I now have two six-packs of the stuff, and I'm hoping I made a wise investment.

I poured the contents of my first bottle into my trusty Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip glass. The liquid was a deep, rich mahogany, too dark to be transparent yet perfectly clear, with a substantially tall and dense tan head that settled to about a finger's width. I swirled the glass a couple of times and the head retention was perfect.

This being the second oaked beer I've reviewed (the first being Old Yeti Oaked Imperial Stout), I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but sure enough, the odor was very similar. The smell conjured the image of being in a field of oak trees after a heavy rainstorm. More simply: wet wood. A hint of malt and even a glimpse of sweetness was also present. The overall experience was fairly appealing, but I wasn't sure how well it would translate to my taste buds.

After my first sip, I was not disappointed. Where the effects of alcohol were once required to "cushion the blow" of the bitterness of this brew, the oak aging and flavor now did the job. I could taste the gentle oak flavor up front. This was quickly chased by the trademark bitterness of the Bastard. However, whereas the normal Bastard has a tendency to burrow its way into my tongue and make me feel like someone just jammed a handful of pine needles into my tongue and then poured grapefruit juice into the wound, the oakiness seemed to leave a protective coating that provided enough of a blockade to stave off the hoppy attack while being subtle enough for my taste buds to enjoy the flavor. It's not the bitterness of the Bastard that puts me off, it's the fact that it won't go away. I could take three sips of Arrogant Bastard and the taste would linger for ten minutes. I'd rather have a chance to recover and then pummel my taste buds again at my own pace, and this Oaked variety enables me to do that.

I still can't say this is one of my favorite Stone beers: I prefer the refreshing quality of their IPA or the complexity of their Old Guardian, Ruination, or Imperial Russian Stout. I will qualify this by saying that I don't really have a basis of comparison as far as what an American Strong Ale should taste like, so I can't judge to style. I can appreciate it for what it is, though, and I will have an easy time spreading out my consumption of these over the next several months or even years and seeing how the experience evolves.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Glad to finally get a shot at this beer after my local beer store got it in, surprisingly.

Appearance: Oaked AB pours a clear burgandy color with a couple fingers of cream colored head. Retention and lacing are both great.

Smell: Toasted malts and caramel form the base of this beer. I definitely get some hops as well, but those are really smoothed out by the oak character. I can definitely tell this beer has been mellowed a bit by the oaking.

Taste: Toasted malts and caramel, as well as some cherry-like fruits. A good amount of hops on the back end, as well as a pleasant amount of oakiness. Like I said before, the oak really smooths this beer out a lot, especially compared to its bretheren.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is slightly under medium bodied with nice fine carbonation. Not quite creamy, but still pretty good. This beer is more drinkable than the rest of the related strong ales, but not much more so. In the end though, the oak really does nice things to this beer.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

A= pours a nice brownish amber color with a beautiful off white head that is on it's way to a mocha color but doesn't make it but maybe halfway between mocha and white. The head is really nice and thick with great retention and lacing.

S= Pungent for sure. As the cap hissed when I cracked the beer I could almost immediatly smell the hoppy deliciousness. Nice piney hops to it like the regular AB bu this one is just a little different. A nice malty character to it just like the AB as well. Great caramel malts and sweetness to it. The oak is more subdued and you have to search for it but it is there. What is more noticable is a certain cinnimon smell that I would suspect is just a combination of sweet malts and oaky vanilla.

T= The hops hit you up front on the tip of your tongue. They flow over your tongue and give way to a nice sweet malty mid section. The great caramel and toffee flavors come through as well as some oakiness but again the oak has to be searched for a little more. The cinnimon that I smelled isn't around instead the finish leads to a slight vanilla from the oak and some woodyness. Just when you think the finish was the smoothest thing ever the hops come and bite the back of your tongue leaving a lasting finish.

M= Smooth and coating. Not too light or to heavy.

D= Pretty good. Decent beer and just a layer more complexity than the regualr AB.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

georgeous looking beer. dark reddish brown with a big big off white/tan head that leaves an enormous ammount of lace. light smell of piney, grapefruity hops, some nice malt and it's all mixed in and blends pretty well with the smoky/oaky. tastes the same. pretty well blended. fairly silky smooth mouthfeel and pleasure drinking. glad i finally got to try this one. don't see it as a regular in my rotation, but delightful none the less.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Last of a six pack of twelve ouncers.

Red amber color, excellent clarity, topped by a fist worth of bone-china colored froth.

Oak nose, with a bit of fresh bread. Nice, but not big.

Juicy semi-sweet malt spills across the tongue. Surprisingly quick hop bite before the oak rises to the top and rides the beer into the swallow and on to the aftertaste.

Good solid medium-plus mouthfeel. Good drinkability, particularly if you like "oak".

The impression I get is that the oak wood chips nullified the hops, removing the wonderous abrasiveness of "plain ol' Arrogant Bastard". Still a good beer, but I vastly prefer the original.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

So it's my 34th birthday today. Not exactly old, not exactly young. Where do I fit in? What is my place in the universe? What is the meaning of life? What should...ok enough bullshit. Leave contemplating the universe to Aristotle. I'm gonna contemplate what beers I should have today. After much thought, I decide to go with beers I haven't tried yet: Oaked Arrogant Bastard with my breakfast, Stone Imperial Russian Stout with lunch, and AleSmith Speedway Stout with dinner. Sounds like a good day to me!

Poured this puppy into a snifter so I can better sniff'er.

Looks like the color of the bottle but shows nice ruby hues in the light. Beautiful frothy head in the glass.

Smells like arrogant bastard.

Just had the arrogant bastard last night. I think this tastes slightly different, but I can't put my finger on it. I would like to claim I taste the oak, but I don't. There is a bitter alcohol warmth at the end. Nice.

Guess I'm far far too uncultured to notice a huge difference. Still a great beer and an excellent birthday morning celebratory drink.

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

A bastardization of what you get when you mix some orange, amber, brown and red color ale. Looks impressive. Smell is even more impressive, not as viscious as the non oaked version.

In fact, the oak seems to mellow out the whole ale, as opposed to offering a more complex beer necessarily. The usual chinook and cascade hop dominance with a very strong malt backbone, but the oak seems almost like they dry hopped it with oak chips as well. Mouthfeel thins through the bottle, but this remains a surprisingly drinkable beer, not nearly as demanding of a drink as the other versions of bastard ale.

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.