Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -4%

georgeous looking beer. dark reddish brown with a big big off white/tan head that leaves an enormous ammount of lace. light smell of piney, grapefruity hops, some nice malt and it's all mixed in and blends pretty well with the smoky/oaky. tastes the same. pretty well blended. fairly silky smooth mouthfeel and pleasure drinking. glad i finally got to try this one. don't see it as a regular in my rotation, but delightful none the less.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Last of a six pack of twelve ouncers.

Red amber color, excellent clarity, topped by a fist worth of bone-china colored froth.

Oak nose, with a bit of fresh bread. Nice, but not big.

Juicy semi-sweet malt spills across the tongue. Surprisingly quick hop bite before the oak rises to the top and rides the beer into the swallow and on to the aftertaste.

Good solid medium-plus mouthfeel. Good drinkability, particularly if you like "oak".

The impression I get is that the oak wood chips nullified the hops, removing the wonderous abrasiveness of "plain ol' Arrogant Bastard". Still a good beer, but I vastly prefer the original.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

I assume this is from the 06 release, but I can't find a date for the life of me.

I'm not really sure how to review this beer. I can't taste any real oak/vanilla flavor in it. At first there wasn't even any arrogant bastard here. As it's warmed (I served it fairly warm to start with) I picked up on the bitter after taste of the normal bastard.

What you do get here is a much better balanced beer than the normal bastard. You get a nice cherry flavor to start and a strong hoppy bitterness at the end. A very smooth beer and you could chug if you wanted to (not at these prices though!) or really enjoy sipping on.

It has a great head, the color looks great. It's got a very nice complex smell.

Maybe I went into this beer expecting too much as I love oaked beers and I really enjoyed the standard AB (though imo it's slightly overrated). This beer is well worth trying even at the high prices but I'm not sure if I'd buy it again.

I expected a lot more flavor and a bit more complexity. My score is high enough to tsay this is a really good beer but I expected more, especially when this costs nearly 3 dollar per 12 oz bottle.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

So it's my 34th birthday today. Not exactly old, not exactly young. Where do I fit in? What is my place in the universe? What is the meaning of life? What should...ok enough bullshit. Leave contemplating the universe to Aristotle. I'm gonna contemplate what beers I should have today. After much thought, I decide to go with beers I haven't tried yet: Oaked Arrogant Bastard with my breakfast, Stone Imperial Russian Stout with lunch, and AleSmith Speedway Stout with dinner. Sounds like a good day to me!

Poured this puppy into a snifter so I can better sniff'er.

Looks like the color of the bottle but shows nice ruby hues in the light. Beautiful frothy head in the glass.

Smells like arrogant bastard.

Just had the arrogant bastard last night. I think this tastes slightly different, but I can't put my finger on it. I would like to claim I taste the oak, but I don't. There is a bitter alcohol warmth at the end. Nice.

Guess I'm far far too uncultured to notice a huge difference. Still a great beer and an excellent birthday morning celebratory drink.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Poured a dark ruby amber, clear. Three finger khaki-colored head with very good retention. Some visible carbonation. Very nice lacing.

Smell: Mild nose of amber ale maltiness. Hint of pine and grapefruit.

Taste: Moderate hops and moderate malts. Hops are are grapefruit/citrus with a dry bite at the end; somewhat "juicy". Smoky malts to balance out the flavor

Mouthfeel: Smooth, mildly carbonation, and a moderate hop bite. Very dry finish, with the hops lingering for a while.

Drinkability: Very nice drinking beer. Very smooth, but with excellent flavor and complexity. The flavor lasts a long time.

Buy Again? Yes.

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

A bastardization of what you get when you mix some orange, amber, brown and red color ale. Looks impressive. Smell is even more impressive, not as viscious as the non oaked version.

In fact, the oak seems to mellow out the whole ale, as opposed to offering a more complex beer necessarily. The usual chinook and cascade hop dominance with a very strong malt backbone, but the oak seems almost like they dry hopped it with oak chips as well. Mouthfeel thins through the bottle, but this remains a surprisingly drinkable beer, not nearly as demanding of a drink as the other versions of bastard ale.

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz bottle with enjoy by date of 03/14/13. So about a month before its best drinking age.

Color is dark copper or almost deep ruby-brown. Huge hints of red color. Maroon or chestnut color would be a better description. About one finger thick light tan colored head that stays for only some time. Decent lacing on the sides. Some minor bubbles.

Aroma is a mix of toasty malts, resinous hops and very very slight wood. Some very vague vanilla comes through in the nose as well. Overall strength is mild. Oak aging via chips has resulted in a subdued aroma as far as oak, wooden and vanilla fragrances are concerned. Hop aroma is not strong either. Drinks like an old ale. Alcohol does not come through.

Flavor is again very subdued. Very malt forward and strictly less hops than in its non-oaked counterpart. Slight bitterness in the finish. Caramel and toasted malts along with resinous and piney hops.

Mouth feel is medium bodied. Moderate to low carbonation. Drinks very easy and smooth. Hides the alcohol, though there is not much to hide at just above 7%.

Non-Oaked version is slightly better.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

A: A fat cap of cream head tops an amber on the verge of brown body.

S: Big citrus and pine, mostly pine, burst through. A woodsy scent is coming though, with dark tannins breaking out.

T: The bitterness is bitter mix of bitter tannin and hops. I can't pick any of the fruit out of the hops however. Lots of toasty, caramel and chocolate malt lingers below with some solvent alcohol.

M: Feels pretty great on the tongue, but nothing special.

D: One of these is enough for me. Delicious but it wears down the palate.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Tasted in Wells, ME on August 2nd, 2009.

The beer is dark amber color and looks, from what I remember, quite similar to the original version. Head is a little bit thin but sticks to the glass like crazy. The aroma is mainly malts with a touch of caramel. To me it is similar to the original version. My nose is not getting anything more. The taste is a bit different. The awesome bitterness is still here with a touch of woods behind. Slightly maple. The drinkability is good but I think the original has more. The beer is medium body. What still amaze me of this beer, Oaked or Un-Oaked Arrogant Bastard I mean, is the feeling in the mouth... very good.

A very good beer in my opinion. However, if I had to pick one of the two, I would pick the original... just my two cents.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

appearance: Handsome caramel. Slight off white head with thick lacing that recedes quickly.
smell: Buttery oak and that cutting Stone hops.
taste: As the nose advertised. This was has a year behind it. Better than the fresh version for my taste. Still not the balance I was hoping for.
mouthfeel: Full, creamy and carbonated.
I'm a relative newbie and fully respect it's probably my unrefined palate that doesn't recognize a superior beer here. All the top reviewers love this. I'll revisit in a few years.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

At the Stone store on Pasadena.

Everything you expect from Arrogant Bastard with a soft oaky touch. Seems to moderate the hop character all around. Citrus aroma is knocked back letting the malt show a bit more, and some of the bitterness and hop flavor are replaced by a sweeter, malty woody character.

Interesting twist. Probably makes it more drinkable as the palate doesn't get wrecked so quickly. But then is it really still AB?

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

3 liter bottles shared with myself. Dark brownish red with a huge fluffy tan head that seemed to stay around forever while covering the glass was thick lace rings. Sweet caramel and fruits with that arrogant bastard hoppiness backing it up. Very light woody notes as it warmed but they were minimal. Sweet caramel covered dark fruits over some bitter citric hops. Nice balance overall. Some woody notes were more apparent here than in the nose and seemed like it came out more than when I tried it fresh. Dry citric bitter fruity finish that sticks with you for awhile. It seemed a bit to mellowed at this point though. Pretty solid mouthfeel with good thickness and creaminess. I find the regular version to be more drinkable but this was still fairly easy to get through a bottle that big. Glad I drank it now because I can’t see this getting better with more age.

12 oz. bottle:

Pours hazed brownish amber with a thin off-white head that stays around.

The smell is of brown sugar and caramel with citrus, pine and floral notes. Oaky/woody background lets you know that this was oak-aged.

The taste is a heaping of malt - brown sugar, caramel/toffee with plenty of citrus and pine backing it up. Oak and vinuous notes, with some acidity, dominate the long, very dry, finish.

Full-bodied and rich in texture.

I like this one...but, personally I would probably choose the non-oaked Arrogant Bastard over it. I had this at a tasting awhile back and wanted to have it on a fresh palate - I still feel that while the oak is interesting (and I've had barrel-conditioned brews that really enhanced the flavors) it almost interferes with its great natural taste (call me a "party-pooper" I suppose). Still in all, it's a great beer...the Double Bastard still takes it all of the three, though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've never really cared that much for the original Arrogant Bastard. It's okay, and in a style that seems to be up my alley (I love hops, bitterness, etc.), but I always thought the brewers lived up to their hype and the beer was a dare to try something just overdone.

I got this six-pack (and another) from a friend of my wife for "fixing" her computer. A good deal for 20 minutes of work in my book, and despite some ambivalence regarding the original AB, I was intrigued by the oaking.

On occasion, I do drink wine, and I normally steer clear of Chardonnay, as I'm not crazy about drinking something that tastes like wood. Oaked AB demonstrates, though, that oaking may go better with beer than wine.

Poured into a nonic, the beer was very clear, and a flat medium-dark brown. Very little head (maybe due to the new glass, just washed) but what little there was lingered almost to the end.

Nose, just hops and maybe a light toasty malt aroma...I think I detected it only because I was looking for it. No evidence of oak in the scent.

The taste was where my appreciation for this beer took off. It seems like the oaking (assuming the formula is more or less the same as the original AB) mellows out a bit of the overly-assertive bitterness. It's still there, but, I guess I'd call it "flatter" than the normal AB. Hops are on the piney side, which I think matches well with the oak, which doesn't really stand out, but rather matches harmoniously with the other elements. Malt presence is subdued, as in the aroma. It's there, but you gotta look for it.

Mouthfeel, a bit thinner than I anticipated, but I think this supported the drinkability overall. More refreshing than I thought it would be.

I'm not sure I'd search this one out, given all the other great beers out there that I already love or have yet to try, but I wouldn't hesitate to drink it again.

Update, 11/21/07

I've since finished the remaining 5 beers in the six pack. I don't need to change the scoring overall, but I wanted to note that I think my description was off a bit. I don't know what I was smoking, but I missed out on the malt flavor in this beer. It's not nearly as subdued as I originally wrote. I think the beer is still in balance, due to the Stone proclivity for hops/bitterness, but the balance definitely tips more to the malt side than I'd originally indicated.

Although I wouldn't change my score, my respect for this beer actually grew as I finished the six-pack off. I think I'd be more likely to pick this one up, too.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours a very dark amber or light brown with a half finger creamy colored head. Laces awesomely. Head sticks around forever...love it

S- getting a little oak, but mostly some sweet smelling hops and dark malt. Smells yummy

T- getting some great oak flavor along with some nice hoppy bitterness...thats all, really. I'd almost like a little more character to it, but its good regardless.

M- nice body, pretty thick.

D- hides the ABV well. The bitterness and lack of anything aside from the oak flavor could be offputting, but whatever.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Pours a dark maroon color with moderate carbonation. Half inch head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S - The hops are there to shake your hand along with plenty of citrus notes.

T - Well-balanced really is not the right word here, but there is plenty of malt for sweetness and plenty of hops for bitterness. The oak really brings out the sweetness of the malt that brings a great contrast. I know sounds odd but the hops win out in this brew which is a fantastic mouthful.

M - Pleasingly thick with nice warmth from the 7.2 abv.

D - The beer's only weakness, one is enough.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Single poured into a pint glass. Nice dark ruby red/bown in color, fast dissipating head and noticeable lacing. Nothing to crazing in the aromatics department, some nice woody notes, like campfire wood and some malt. You get a nice mellow hit of the oak throughout the spiel. Flavor is of earthy wood is played well with the backdrop of the malt. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a great carbonation effect. Some of that wood sticks to the palate until you cleanse it with some more. Drinkability just went up a notch, thats for reminding me...

5 stars

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

The aroma is surprisingly weak, but some light, caramel-like malt is present, along with light pine and citrus with a touch of woodiness. The light tan head is very long-lasting; the body is a dark reddish amber. The flavor is very malty with roasted malt and bread crust, which becomes a little sweeter towards the finish; there are some flavorful, spruce-like, resiny hops. The carbonation and bite are agreeably moderate; a woody, husky tingle hangs around; and there is considerable dryness from the alcohol.

Overall, quite bitter and dry but stimulating and flavorful. I found the aroma a little disappointing but was otherwise pleased.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Growler poured into a Duvel tulip. Deep reddish brown body with an impressively voluminous head that stands a finger or so proud of the rim for a minute. Very slow rate of head reduction, intricate soapy and sticky lacing. Awesome looking beer.

Just like regular AB, a ton of caramel and brown sugar greet the nose, accompanied by a blast of pine and citrus hops that are at least a strong as the hops. The oak presence isn't at all unpleasant, but I'm not sure it improves things necesarily. In fact, it seems to somewhat blunt the raw power of the hops, particulary in the bitterness error. Not to say the big bad Bastard is tamed; indeed, it's still a force to be reckoned with. The oak simply seems to provide a certain smoothness while coaxing out lots of sweet and buttery subtleties from the malt profile. I prefer regular AB, but the oaked version is very nice as well. I'm curious how it would handle some cellar time. Possibly it would evolve into an exceedingly smooth sipper.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hello, Oak. Nice to meet ya'.

Poured from the bottle into a belgian snifter. This beer has an alluring appearance. Sort of an opaque, brown-apricot color, with a creamy one-finger head that dissipates a bit too soon. Leaves traces of lace along the side of the glass, but nothing terribly intricate. The aroma is pleasant. Oaky, for sure, but with some subtle hints of undetectable fruit. Maybe some vanilla, maybe some molasses? The taste is where the OAB shines, though. Malty and sweet up front, with definite oak notes. But the hops strike hard and fast, cutting through just about everything else and leaving a trail of grapefruit and pine down the back of the throat. Wow. What a lip-smacker this is. I really, really like the way this beer tastes. Sturdy, if not overwhelming mouthfeel. It's been a while since my last Arrogant Bastard, but I can't imagine why after having this one. This just made my top-20 list of American craft brews. I'm definitely not worthy....

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.