1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,421 | Reviews: 1,814 | Show All Ratings:
katan

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev -18.5%

12 oz bottle. no date to be found.

A - Pours an amber color, leaning more towards the red side. Head formation is light, but what was there had a pleasant looking mocha color. Head similar to a porter. No hazing of note.

S - An unusual head. Most a phenolic flavors, with some kind of edgy background that I assume comes from the oak aging. Some fruitiness that at times as been associated with oxidation.

T - Starts off with a light smoky flavor that moves into a very potent phenolic flavor. Finishes with that rough edginess of the wood. The particular wood would be hard to discern, but it is certainly there. Continues big time in the aftertaste.

M - Oily and edgy. Biting and acidic. Alcohol is very warming. Carbonation is noticeable.

D - More of a one off beer. The notes from the wood aging begin to dominate the taste buds. Alcohol, both in flavor and in content, are strong enough to reduce sessionability.

All and all a good beer. Glad I tried it, but I'm guessing this just isn't my style.

12-21-2008 23:12:18 | More by katan
Westsidethreat

2006

A: Color of a ten year tawney. Cloudy and murky, loads of toffee highlights. Head has a medium creaminess, khaki colored.

S: Clay, band aid, caramel, bit of vanilla and over ripe peach.

T: Begins very oakey, extremely oakey actually. Actually oak is all I can taste and not necessarily in a positive way. Its not subtle, there aren't wisps of vanilla, its just oak. That's where the band aid smell came from because its coming thru in the beer too. Finishes lightly fruity and very bitter with more oak. As it warms, some depth does break thru but too little too late.

The thing about the oak is, this beer isn't aged in barrels. Oak chips are added and you can tell. The oak completely dominates the Arrogant Bastard. A good oaking should highlight the flavors, not dominate.

M: Medium body, full mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

D: Don't get me wrong, I still finished every sip of this beer. Perhaps I got a bad bottle but I doubt it. I've got the rest of the six pack to update my reviews if I feel its necessary. I'm a huge fan of barrel aged beers...I love the complexity it adds to the brew. This one simply has too much oak.

11-19-2006 23:21:48 | More by Westsidethreat
KarlHungus

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

This brew pours a dark mahogany color with a large, billowy, tannish-white head. Lacing is thorough, and sticks all over to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of grapefruit, grapes, and oak. The taste is of brash hops, and abrasive oak. It is like drinking a board. Nothing is in harmony. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer. I guess it could be considered a good beer, if you are looking for something with a lot of flavor, but don't care whether or not those flavors work well together.

01-09-2007 00:00:06 | More by KarlHungus
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

Brown opaque with small lasting head. Aroma of smoked oak, pepper, leafy hops and vegetables. Taste is very woody and plenty of hops. Damn, so much oak. Great palate, Stone-like. This one was a little too much for me but I can say it was interesting to taste.

08-23-2010 18:19:56 | More by Luk13
GolgiIPAratus

Sampled: 1.5.07

Appearance of this brew is of reddish liquefied light caramel underneath a thick head. Head is dense and colored of a darker shade of eggnog. Some lacing clings.

The aroma is quite hoppy, full of juicy citrus notes. A quite peculiar and unique quality comes through on deeper inhalations, that seems to be a rich earthy honey like smell. And I mean, like, real honey; as in straight from the hive. I can only assume this comes from the wood aging, as it does not smell of what I remember from regular AB.

The flavor is immediately bitter, the particular style of hops jumping up, no doubt. The earthy honey sweetness comes though, and balances with the hop fruitiness. Its carbonation is in the mid range and coats the mouth with hop oiliness.

The beer is quite rich and a slow drinker, one 12 ouncer was more than enough. I liked it, but I didn’t think it really improved upon Arrogant Bastard, so I most likely won’t get it again. With a tag of oak aging, I was hoping for more complexity. The unique aroma & flavor described, really wasn’t that appealing to me, so I was let down somewhat in that respect. But hey, you win some, you lose some.

01-24-2007 17:40:04 | More by GolgiIPAratus
farrago

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

Two fingers easy of light tan colored foam, islands of larger bubbles, however, displays very good retention and density, thick brushes of lacing. Light cloud to the redwood colored liquid, near to opaque, more of a zinc orange further out. There's a flatness to the nose, not necessarily a lack of scents per se, just a certain lack of vigor in the vanilla, chocolate base as well as the creamy whiskey notes and golden raisin, red cherry, apricot scents, this leaves extra room for the hops, grains and grasses to assert themselves whereas otherwise they would come off as more contained. Medium-bodied, whipped up and foamy in the mouth to no obvious specific end, More oomph in the caramel, vanilla fudge, mocha flavors, some sweet cedar as well. Same goes for a mild elevation in the nectarine, apricot, pineapple, peach fruit but, truly, not much. Some orange to lemon citrus yet surprisingly light. Seems to depend more on brute power than offering a richer array of flavors. Telltale astringency through the finish puts out any final thought of flavors reverberating.

04-10-2010 03:47:29 | More by farrago
Marty30

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter at 45 degrees.

A. Very dark ruby red shines through when I hold it up to the light.About a 2 finger tan head appears as I pour this aggresively,but dissapates very quickly.Decent carbonation.Good sticky laceing.

S. I,m not sure if it's because this was poured right out of the fridge,but I,m not getting to much in the smell. I get hoppy piney notes first and I definately am getting the wood chips also some caramel malts in there,a little faint.

T. Quit hoppy and bitter,Oak definately comes through along with the hop bitterness.Hints of caramel and vanilla possibly,more hopps than I expected,not much else.

M. Medium mouthfeel,carbonation stings my tounge as this goes down.

Overall its not my favorite of the Bastard line up but I like what they did with this.I want to get this again in the future.If you enjoy the style I would say get this.

04-03-2011 03:34:33 | More by Marty30
BlurryVisi0n

Served into a tulip.

Appearance: A superior dark amber. Light orange head comes off the body maybe 1/4".

Smell: Smell, really this beer hints of flowery pine.

Taste: Comes off bitter and piney. Kinda like a piney and flowery ale like I said above but in all honesty looks and smells like your normal IPA but serves much much more smoother than that, Almost too smooth with a hint of wood.

Mouth: Medium/heavy carbonation, but compliments the sour taste bitter taste.

Overall: Pretty good beer comes off like a watered down IPA. The way this was sold to me was like it was the best ale made since sliced bread. Stone never fails in making a good beer but this by far isn't their greatest accomplishment.

12-12-2011 04:14:46 | More by BlurryVisi0n
AgentMunky

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into a brandy snifter.

A: Rich ruby in the shade that grows lighter and more brilliant in the light. A finger of head fades quickly.

S: Soft, sweet, and round. Loads of malt. Floral vanilla? Weird fruit. Cough syrup, but no hops.

T: Completely different from what I had on tap many moons ago. Hops are present as unpleasant bitterness on the end/aftertaste. The rest is aggressively alcoholic (bourbon-y?) malty-vanilla sweetness that is oppressive, but not unpleasant.

M: Carbonation would be a welcome relief from the the vanilla-sweetness of the maintaste. A bit thick/sticky.

O: The beer grows on me, but I am still dubious as to the overall worth. This iteration is a bit malt-heavy for me, with not enough oak (just wannabe bourbon influence).

04-26-2012 06:50:53 | More by AgentMunky
DrewV

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Copper-amber with a 2-finger tan head. Oily lace trails down the glass as the head recedes.

S: Somewhat muted, but piney hops make their way to the front. Slight oaky smell, but nothing dramatic. A solid sweet malt base can be detected.

T: Like the original Arrogant Bastard, but slightly less powerful and with a noticeable trailing woodiness. The malt base is stronger than you might expect, almost lager-like. Pretty well balanced overall.

M: Quite thin. Much thinner than I expected from a "big" beer like this. Carbonation definitely needs to be higher.

O: Meh, it's good, but definitely nothing I would seek out again. I guess I was expecting something "bigger", but in fact I found the opposite. Hints of oak, no bourbon, faint vanilla, thin body, and a reserved flavor overall. Plus, it's expensive. All things considered, I'll look elsewhere for my next brew.

11-18-2012 18:37:14 | More by DrewV
oggg

Cask @ Real Ale Fest 6/04 Carlsbad

This beer is a hazy/murky brown, with a big bubbled foam. The aroma was just slightly hoppy, with some malt, and the smell of wet wood. On tasting, I got a restrained bitterness coupled with sweet malt and a mild roastiness. It seem to change on me and was sometimes sweet, sometimes dry. I'm not good at picking out vanilla. I just couldn't get a hold of this beer -- not clean enough, not hoppy enough...

I almost wet my pants when this beer appeared at the festival, but I was sorta disappointed when I finally got it.

Serving type: cask

06-18-2004 05:15:42 | More by oggg
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a dark ruby color with an off white head that dissipates quickly to lace on the sides of the glass. The smell is an odd mix of hops, pine, and grapefruit. The taste is of grapefruit and pine with a little beer in there too. I couldn't drink to many of these, in fact I like the non oak version much better. It was nice to try, but not one of my favorites.

12-09-2007 06:27:54 | More by johnnnniee
dancinwillie

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours big and bold. It didn't seem like I was going to get a head on it, so halfway through, more aggressive I became. Head was there, and it was one of those cascading beauties that you usually see with Imperial Stouts. Brownish when I look at it on the table, orange hued when held up to the light. Topped by the aforementioned head, thick and creamy, the color off-white, with bright orange highlights. Some nice lacing as the head retreats.

Aroma is strong in this one, citrus and caramel mainly.

Caramel is my first impression, followed quickly by red grapefruit. As far as the "oaking" of this beer, I have to say that it's on the low spectrum. Some general woodiness, a bit of vanilla, I'm not quite sure how to interpret, but it's pretty good. I'd like to do a side by side with the original, as well as the double. For some reason, I was under the impression that this was barrel aged, and that this would have more of a bourbon flavor. I'm happy to say it's not. I'm not a fan generally of those flavors, therefore, I'm happier with this than I anticipated. Digressions aside, this is a very tasty beer. A bit of alcohol warmth as the temperature of the beer drops, but not anywhere near a "bite." The downside here, is the hops seem quite a bit less assertive. I wish they were more up front.

Mouthfeel is good, very full bodied and surprisingly, quite refreshing.

Overall, I could drink a few, but definitely not what I'd call a session beer. More like a special occasion beer. Still, a fine beer, but I prefer the original AB much better.

01-07-2009 03:45:47 | More by dancinwillie
ThreeWiseMen

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Had this on-tap at Spike's tonight (as well as Tuesday night). I'm loving "Most Arrogant Bar in the Country" week!

Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Crystal clear orange-brown body with randomly-placed shades of red. Head is initially foamy and khaki-colored, but eventually settles as a creamy, sticky cap. Very nice head retention on the whole and lots of web-like lacing.

Smell: Big, buttery oak dominates the nose. A better description might be buttered popcorn with some sweet oak and hints of vanilla. Sweet and pleasant. Hardly comparable to regular Arrogant Bastard.

Taste: Buttery oak, caramel, and resinous piney hops. Not much bitterness unfortunately. Similar to regular Arrogant Bastard, but oakier/butterier and all around dulled.

Mouthfeel: This felt surprisingly watery. Carbonation was very low (borderline flat) and body was definitely thin. On top of that, bitterness and alcoholic kick were both weak.

Drinkability: While this was certainly smoother and easier than regular AB, I really missed that extra arrogance. Oaked Arrogant Bastard on-tap was just too flat and dull. Still tasty though.

11-13-2009 07:45:16 | More by ThreeWiseMen
nickadams2

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

A_Pours a purplish,burgundy with a one finger tan head. Looks amazing.

S_Huge oak aroma,subdued hops,and sweet malt.

T_Really really strong oak presence. Floral hops and sweet malt. The oak dominates for sure.

M_Medium bodied. Coats the mouth nicely.

D_Decent brew. Definitely better than the regular. But with the huge amount of oak its a definite sipper. One bottle is hard enough to get through.

09-04-2010 17:11:14 | More by nickadams2
chalsk

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Attractive aroma. A sour, vinegar like smell. Nice bodied appearance, but very thin on the palate, watery. The flavor is thin too. A slight bitter, then oak with a malty finish. The poor balance is what turns me off. The different aspects of beer are not working in harmony.

11-26-2010 01:45:35 | More by chalsk
MatthewWilde

Sample: 1 bottle 2012

A: Ruby red with hints of orange, minimal internal carbonation, very minimal head, translucent

S: Quite strange in my opinion, I can appreciate elements of oak and citrus, but it's over powered by a soy sauce/asparagus menagerie of scents that I certainly can't say I enjoy

T: Despite the rave reviews I remain unimpressed, takes on a definite woody characteristic, but any real flavors seem lost this nebulous alcohol-infused void, still nice sweet and bitter balance

M: Pretty smooth, a bit deterred by the nose and flavor, but drinkable, moderate oak aftertaste, and a bit drying on the palate

O: Perhaps I got a rogue bottle, but as it is fresh and the seals are intact I'm confident in declaring this beer over-rated, and while it has some redeemable qualities, not reminiscent of the quality I've come to expect from Stone

05-09-2012 00:47:31 | More by MatthewWilde
rawfish

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a ruddy brown color with a dirty sheet colored, finger high head. Tight froth with both great retention and lacing.

Caramel malt with some light chocolate aroma an even mix of vinous dark fruit, medicinal hops, alcohol and oak chips. Steady and heavy aroma that highlights more alcohol and medicinal hops and grape than the chocolate and oak.

Molasses, toffee, simple syrup malt profile. Very sweet in the forefront before medicinal and pine hops smash down the sweetness with a bitter kick that never really gets to it's potential as the oak smooths out this beer. The oak really aids in keeping this going as the sweetness and the bitterness don't get to follow through in the after taste.

Syrupy, viscous but less heavy than it feels on the tongue. Carbonation is average and the oak attempts to create a drying feel. Alcohol is evident despite the strong malt profile.

Higher marks overall because I know in my head that this beer is well built with full flavor and is balanced. The combination of grapey fruit, syrupy malt and medicinal/pine hops is not my favorite. The oak brings out an interesting dimension but only serves to increase the booze and palate bashing flavors. More of a double ESB with oak, not my favorite.

05-16-2012 04:47:48 | More by rawfish
tayner

Arizona

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured a deep golden color with an off white head.

smelled of wood, hops, and lightly of malts.

Dominant flavor was oak and hops, not very well balanced out with malts.

Crisp mouthfeel, clean finish.

I am not a huge fan of oak in my beer unless it is a bourbon barrel so this one was a tad hard for me to drink as i tasted no bourbon at all, just wood and hops, but for what it is, it is okay. i wouldnt choose to drink it again over all the other choices though.

01-29-2008 12:46:41 | More by tayner
MisterClean

12 oz from total wine.

A - Dark maroon with lots of capuccino colored head. Dissipates slow with light legs.

S - Red Cherries, oak chips, anise, and honey.

T - Oaky, malty, and cherries.

M - Chewy, slightly bitter and dry. Not liking the ending bitterness. Way too much earthy hops.

D - The mouthfeel really throws off this beer. I really like the regular one though.

02-24-2008 05:25:49 | More by MisterClean
david18

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure what the big deal is here. It pretty much tastes the same as the regular Arrogant Bastard, the one advantage is that you can get it in 12 ounce bottles. worth getting if that' s importnat to you and if the per ounce price is not much higher than the standard.

07-21-2009 23:37:04 | More by david18
DoctorDog

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic. "Best by 09 08 09" printed lightly on the bottom of the bottle.

A- Clear reddish amber. Pours with 2+ fingers of creamy tan head, which fades very slowly to a solid cap; incredible retention. Ample lacing.

S- Bit of pine/herbal hoppiness....perhaps some oaken notes. Light maltiness. Hints of metallic aroma.

T- Pine & herbal hop, hints of malty sweetness, smoky/charcoal/wood, metallic twinge. A lot going on with the interjection of oak...interesting, but not completely working for me.

M- Moderate carbonation with a pretty full feel. Actually fairly creamy, and goes down smooth....oiliness builds and coats as consumed. Quite good here.

D- Ok. The oakiness would seems to dull my palate pretty rapidly, so I don't think I'd ever opt for more than one 12 oz'er at a time.

Future outlook: This was alright, but for my money, wasn't as good as "regular" AB. Probably won't revisit anytime soon.

08-05-2009 01:42:46 | More by DoctorDog
punkrkr27

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark ruby brown pour with a small dense tan head. Mellow grapefruit and vanilla aroma with hints of dark fruit. Malty vanilla and oak flavor up front, slightly nutty flavor in the middle, little bit of honey, leading to a dry and bitter finish. Medium body.

08-11-2010 16:17:21 | More by punkrkr27
kbnooshay

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured a dark ruby brown color with a small but frothy off white head. Body is slightly hazy. Nice lacing is coating the glass in an even fashion.

Aroma is malty and has lots of sweetness. Brown sugar and caramel dominates. Hops take the backseat but are there. Not sure if I smell any oak.

Taste is super rich. Flavors in the vein of molasses, maple syrup, and caramel dominate. There is definitely some oak in there. Hop bitterness comes in way too late though. This is kinda one dimensional. And the dimension is sweetness.

Feel is slick and tingly.

This isn't awful, but i much prefer stones stouts, or IPAs.

08-23-2010 01:35:41 | More by kbnooshay
haazer

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

Sampled at the Winter Beerfest in Philly.

A- A very dark, ruby/emerald stone appearance. Red and orange tints throughout. No head on this, seems like it may be flat.

S- Cherry aroma is first, followed by earthy and oaky notes.

T- Tastes somewhat like cherry pitts, nice and sweet. Oak flavors and flower petals add a nice herbal flavor. Some hoppiness detected in the background.

M- Very smooth, slightly astringent. Medium bodied brew. Almost no carbonation.

D- Easily drinkable, goes down easy. I have to say I kind've put this beer on a pedestool heading into the festival as one of my must try's and was a little let down. Maybe I'll have to revesit this one later.

02-16-2011 00:52:27 | More by haazer
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.