Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,841 | Hads: 5,070
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a reddish brown with a medium tan head. Much like the regular AB, the head subsides after a bit, leaving very thick, sticky, lacings.

Huge grapefruit and sweet citrus rind aroma with some hints of pineapple, pine needle and malt.

The flavor is smoother and a bit more balanced than the regular AB. Sadly, this does equate to a lesser hop bite but the flavor is also a bit more complex. The flavor is red grapefruit, orange rind and pineapple up front. This is balanced by a nice bouquet of piney hops. There are some roasted wood flavors mid sip that give this beer a distinct taste compared to the the regular AB.

The palate is medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation.

I'm not sure that this brew could replace my love for draft AB. It is, however, a nice change from the norm and quite convenient in the six packs. (844 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I bought two bottles of this at City Wide in South Bend last week and im just now opening up the first.

A:Pours into my tulip glass dark brown with a hint of crimson. Khaki-colored head and some really sticky lacing. very pretty.

O: Smells hoppy and full of alcohol. Also some medicinal quality to the odor. Sweat and feet are both things i pick out too, im sorry to say. And, yeah, there's some oak smell.

T: Well, its certainly interesting. Quite complex. Very bitter up front and also quite piney/sprucey (funny, i don't get any oak in the flavor). Lots of nasty (good-nasty) hops and the alcohol is obvious and somewhat welcome. Some small amount of vanilla on the finish and the bitterness hangs on throughout. Tastes like A-B with a lot more alcohol and less refined.

M: Full mouthfeel, not as syrupy as I expected.

D: I don't know how i feel about his overall. Yeah, its an interesting thing to do with an already interesting beer, but it kind of just funks it up and makes it harder to drink and, well, less fun to drink. I'd rather have the Bastard straight, thanks. Next up is the Double Bastard that's in my fridge. (1,143 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

12 oz bottle, $14 for a 6er that I was very pleasantly surprised to find at Goodrich's in EL.

A: Pours a caramel-ly brown with reddish hints, small head that disappears to a ring a little quicker than I would expect.

S: Smells is more balanced than AB. Nice hop smell, but also contains some nice malt, a touch of vanilla and oak. Overall very inviting.

T: Interesting. The initial taste is similar to AB, huge blast of hop bitterness. This is cut by the smoothness created by the oak. Finishes with oak, a touch of smokey bourbon, and leaves a charcoal bitterness.

M: Full bodied with just a touch of stickyness

D: The oak smoothes it out a little, which makes it more sippable than AB, in my opinion. I feel the drinkiability for the two are similar, just in different ways.

Glad I got to try this. As stated above, I find this is just as good as AB. Both hoppy bitter beers, but whereas AB is pure hop bitterness, I find the oak finishes with kind of a 'charred' bitterness. Nice to have an oak aged beer that accentuates instead of dominates the original taste though. (1,095 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

had to get some of this after all the hype, hope it lives up to it

A - OAB pours a nutty brown with sharp scarlet highlights, atop sits a two finger thick rocky eggnog colored head, tiny scant carbonation rise through the beer

S - very strong grapefruit hits my nose first, with bitter hoppy highlights alongside some floral notes as well, at teh back is a slightly woody aroma which, of course, must be from the oaking

T - like the aroma, the grapefruit is up front and strong in the taste as well, very nice flavor, the oaked woodsiness is stronger in the taste than in the nose, and it finished with a superbly high quality hoppy finish, so bitter and potent it lingers on your palate for hours, i can still taste it (had it 45 min ago)

M&D - the mouthfeel is smooth for its potency, but you have to like strong beers obviously, otherwise very nice and balanced and layered nicely, great job stone, though i prefer regular AB (940 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this twice now. Once about a year ago out of a 3L my neighbor bought and then again recently out of the new 12oz bottles.

Pours a very deep brown with a small white head that fades quickly. Haven't had it side by side with regular AB, but I'm sure they are about right on in color.

Smell is actually hop first. Was expecting the oak and alcohol, but Stone's lust for hops comes first I guess. A little roastiness comes through with the oak.

Taste is also hop forward (not a bad thing). The oak is very subdued compared to some of my recent offerings of oak aged beers. I'm a big fan of such, and was hoping for more in this. The normal arrogant bastard alcohol kick is also there

I was a fan of this beer the first time I had it. It was a while ago but I swear I remember there being more oak to it. Maybe a year of aging might take the hoppiness away and leave more of the oak. Wasn't sure how old that 3L I had was. I always though that oak is exactly what AB was missing (which is bold to say it's missing anything though). I guess I though it would compliment it very well. I'll hold on to some of these and re-visit next winter. (1,149 characters)

Pours a brownish red color with a small head that sticks around a while then disappears as you drink it. Smell is mild with a slight woody odor. Taste is solid, but it doesn't jump out at you. Very hoppy with a nice bitterness to it. Mouthfeel is medium. Overall a good beer. If given the choice between the Oaked and the regular bastard I'd choose the more fruity Arrogant bastard. (382 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

A thick, sticky pillow of foam sits atop a dark copper brew, absolutely refusing to disperse.

Malty aroma, whole-grain toastbread, hints of orange and tangerine.

Taste is excellent. A strong, juicy citric hops presense is perfectly tempered by moderately sweet malt. Fresh-baked bread notes give way to some bittering, leaves just enough pucker without being excessive. Oak is present in the background, as is a slightly mineral flavor, imparting further character into an already excellent brew.

As good as this is, I'm glad I opted for a single 12 oz bottle rather than an $18 sixer. The oak is interesting, but it doesn't make an already awesome brew that much more exceptional. (690 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -17.4%

Appears a near transparent auburn toned amber with a fluffy, ivory head that slowly fades into a dense, soapy cap. Tons of hearty, scattered lace sticks around the glass.
Smell is of caramel, flowers, mild grapefruit, pineapple, light vanilla, earthy spiciness, and gentle oak tannins that may have been missed had I not known oak chips were added to the mix. Aromas were lighter than anticipated.
Taste is spicy, sweet caramel, overly bitter of grapefruit along with gentle woody tannin flavor.
Mouthfeel is astringent, bitter, medium bodied, sweet, with the balance being out of wack and very little evidence of the American Oak.
Drinkability...I'm not believing the hype with this one. This may be one of the most over-rated beers I've seen on this site IMHO. I'm just not feeling it..."I'm not worthy." (810 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

Much anticipated bottle here, $17.00 a sixpack at the Liquor Barn stores in Louisville. I've passed up the 3 liter magnum bottle(with lock and key) several times the past three years because of price. So, the 12 oz bottle pours a hazed chestnut body with a small light beige head that quickly falls into a film. Some spiderweb lace dresses the snifter.

Aroma opens with citrusy grapefruit and pine cone notes, not unlike the unoaked version. Caramel malt whiffs are noted before the woody oak essence takes charge.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated. The oak imparts some sawdust chalkiness.

Taste largely mirrors the aromas. Bitter citrus rind and spruce pine hops, a hint of caramel, and a touch of vanilla. The oak chips lend more of an astringent feel of sawdust than vanilla and soft wood, however. Even at room temperature, this finishes somewhat abrasive and overly woody.

I would rate the original Bastard higher than this. Stone has some attractive pricing on many of their excellent offerings, but I'll pass on this one next time. (1,066 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

Same cough syrup red color with a decent tan head. I honestly do see my difference between this the the regular stuff. Lots of spicey and piney hop aroma. Huge bitterness. Long agressive finish. The oak here is subtle at best. For some reason, I am enjoying this more that the regular bottle I had a couple of weeks ago. (320 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

12/1/2006 $8.99 6 pack 7.20% No best by date, though this is 2006 release.

Appearance:

Pours a slightly hazy medium brown, speckled with plenty of orange. Topped by a ridiculous 3 inches of creamy tan foam that is very slow to settle. Looks like I'm going to have to wait to enjoy this.

Aroma:

Sweet muscat grape aroma coupled with a hint of oaked chardonnay. This was made with American oak wood chips, and it definitely imparts a wine-like nature to the nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Smooth syrupy viscous mouthfeel is accompanied by a touch of hot alcohol and some blisteringly bitter hop oils, with pine-like resin flavor characteristics. I've never loved Arrogant Bastard, but was hoping the oak imparted some quality that would raise this up, much like whatever Stone did to Double Bastard, that makes that such an exceptional beer. That quality is lacking in the Oaked, and though it is better than straight up Arrogant Bastard, it still isn't good enough for me to recommend. (997 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -27.2%

Hazed dark mahogany/ruby red appearance. Thin and bubbly dirty white head. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is all that goodness I remember from AB with just a hint of woodiness in the aroma. That pineapple tropical fruit melange brings back memories. I also get a little caramel/nougat thing going on. Taste is fairly bitter and actually a little harsh and abrasive. I'm not sure I like the effect of the oak chips here. Cuz I remember loving the hell out of the real thing. I think the chips bring a little astringency to the mix. I don't dig the aftertaste at all. All that tropical fruit goodness that I remember takes a backseat now unfortunately. To the over-riding oak chip quality. Too much for my liking.

I guess they're right about this one. I'm NOT worthy.

Thanks for the brew Darren. (795 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%

A clear dark ruby body beneath a frothy beige head is poured from a 12fl.oz. bottle.
It has a citrus, ruby-red grapefruit and concord grape nose.
It tastes juicy and bitter, like overestimating a bite out of a grapefruit and grabbing an immoderate amount of rind. There's an initial malt sensation, but it quickly subsides as the hop flavor grows and finishes bitter and dry at the end. I don't want to call it subtle or mellow because there isn't anything delicate about it, but the flavor progresses slowly enough that the drinker is not overwhelmed by the striking level of hops; it's like an Arrogant Bastard in slow motion. (631 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours out like really dark ice tea with a small amount of the white stuff.
Smell is fruity and hoppy. Orange and plum and piney hops mixed with a slight sugary aroma.
Taste is very bitter with a caramely sweetness that lingers for a while ending in just the bitterness of the dark bitter hop. Almost like an apple drink with a bitter aftertaste. Really nice.
Mouthfeel is very clean and the hops/oak seem to make the tounge .go through all kinds of changes during the sip.
Drinkability is high here if you like the hop/oak. It is really nice.
I could drink a bunch of these if they didn't cost so much. (608 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

I have been trying to track a down a six pack of this beer for a good solid month now, and finally I came acrss it tonight. Pours a lovely ruby red coloration, with a nice sticky white lacing that holds well through the course of the glass. At first musky grain was the only smell I was getting, but after letting it warm up a bit, I picked up on some nice peach and nectarine smells. Taste was big on hops up front, followed by the fruit characters in the background. There was also a certain bitter rye taste after swallowing, mixed with lingering warm alcohol. This is a pretty big beer to be honest, at least on the palate. I was a bit surprised that the alcohol content wasn't a bit higher. I could sit down with a six pack of these and probably finish them off in a night. Having said that, it was much mroe ejoyable sipping this one, and letting it warm a bit to get the full range of flavors and aromas. I must admit that I've never really liked the unoaked Arrogant Bastard, but this one hit the spot with me. I didn't really pick up on the oak addition, but none the less, I liked it alot. Definitely recommended if you can find it. (1,142 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

One of several 12 oz. bottles I bought from the 2006 release; poured to a standard pint glass. Silkscreened bottle label includes a defintion of "Arrogance" and an "Enjoy by" date of 01.19.07.

A: Chestnut brown w/ruby highlights. Clear with a small light tan head and decent lace.

S: Spicy sweet smell with bountiful hops and a notable oak smell. Savory.

T: Gigantic hops - drippy, resinous and potent. Smoky oak barrel aging is subtle, with a pungent and tannic flavor of sappy wood chips. Bitterness is balanced but notable.

M: Hoppy backbone, spicy and piney. Sweet finish with a full mouthfeel. Hops overpower the malts.

D: A fine beer but not one I'd drink everyday. I'd imagined this would be 'amazing' and instead it's just 'very good' with hints of oak-aging. Still I would drink this again, many times over. Try this (if you can find some) and enjoy! (874 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer poured a deep dark brown, almost root beer colored. With a slightly brownish white head that did not last very long at all. There was a fair amount of lacing, but the beer almost look flat when you poured it, but it was not flat at all. The smell was a slightly oak malt smell with a hint of nuttiness.

The taste of this beer was very good a nutty malty flavor with a nice balance of hops and a really nice hint of smoke. This beer had a nice mouthfeel with the CO2 being perfect and slight thickness to it. Also this beer was very smoothe with a nice bite at the end.

Another great beer from Stone and I really enjoyed getting this beer in a 12 oz. bottle. Worth a try if you are a fan of regular Arrogant Bastard. (731 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle

a - poured a tan two fingers thick head into a tumbler. body is reddish-brown with a slight haziness. head retention is great leaving nice lace and sheeting.
s - oak with a slight pine hoppiness.
t - very hoppy in the front, vanilla maltiness in the middle and the oak comes through at the finish.
m - really dances on the tongue. good carbonation.
d - nice brew, the first time i had this i loved it and this seems to not have the same punch. the first time i had it it had been aged a while and i am planning on doing the same with the others that came with this six pack. i also need to do a side by side with the regular AB to get a good comparison. (674 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a dark red/orange with a fluffy off-white head.

The smell is dominated by the hops. The oakiness (is that word?) is muted in the nose but it's there, beyond the pungent hops. Very good smell, what one would expect from a Stone beer.

Taste is noticeably smoother than regular Bastard. The oak is indeed there in the taste. A nice woody, vanilla flavor is blended with the bitter, citrusy hops. The malts are sweet and the aftertaste leaves the faint lingerings of oak on the tongue. A fine beer. (506 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -10.3%

This oaked bastard pours murky brown in color with a thick light tan head.
The smell is very similar to the regular arrogant bastard, but with a slight sense of oak. It’s mostly fruity and citrus hop aromas.
The flavor begins with some caramel malt, then moves to citrus and piney hops with a slight alcohol presence. The oak is mostly present in the aftertaste.
Mouth fell is medium in body, creamy and moderately carbonated.
Another winner from stone. (459 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Deep ruby brown. Pours a light, frothy, and brown one finger head. Nice lacing.

Smells of caramel malts, orange citrus, and slight pine comes through as it warms.

Taste. Whoa. Not what I was expecting. Good grapefruit bitterness. Slight caramel. No alcohol to speak of like with regular AB.

This is a nice smooth beer that coats the mouth well. Good even carbonation. However, it's super bitter(in a good way) and one at a time is probably enough.

I'm not a big fan of regular AB, but this is one tasty beer. The oak aging advertisement is misleading. I was expecting the typical flavors from oaking, but this one is much more bitter than regular AB. So much so that it overwhelms much of the other flavors. I would like to get ahold of one of these that has had some cellar time to see if it makes it more balanced. (870 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

Had a chance to finally try the Arrogant Bastard. This time, oaked. The beer pours a deep brown with ruby highlights. A thin white head rests atop it. The aroma is exquisite. Dark fruits, big hops, and oak scent, all blend together for a wonderful nose.

The taste is just as goodas the smell. Complex hops hit the palate first; certainly dark fruits, pine, and floral. Then the malt backbone comes through to balance out the flavor, followed by a slightly bitter finish. Thoughout the beer there is an oak/woody taste that just compliments it perfectly. What a wonderfully complex and interesting beer.

Mouthfeel is full, but the finish is a little dry. Highly drinkable. Highly reccomended. I shouldn't have had this one before the original, because there's no where for this beer to go but down. An absolutely outstanding brew. (836 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

12 oz. to snifter:

A - Dark, almost opaque brown, somewhat dull. creamy, fingered-head that quickly faded to light lacing.

S - Oily, juicy, wonderful hops with a bit of alcohol and mild sweetness.

T - Bitter. Starts off creamy then fades into mint, followed closely by piney hops and citrus. finish is a big hops and alcohol punch to the gullet. Oh, yeah, and throughout is the constant presence of slight oak and woodiness.

M - Nice, medium to thick body. Pairs well with taste.

D - High. I loved this beer, especially as it warmed up. (551 characters)

This beer is really fantastic! It is smoother, cleaner, and more drinkable--just a tad less harsh--than the regular Arrogant Bastard. The color is great, the head is beautiful, too. Seriously the best beer I have ever had. For my taste, this beer is perfect!! I look forward to making this my annual Thanksgiving treat. (319 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -26.3%

The six-packs have come!!!

Pours a fairly dark reddish/amber color with a nice light tan head that sticks around for a while. Terrific lacing to speak of as well.

Smell is of maltiness, some muted hints of oak, and spicy hops.

Taste is of biscuity malts up front and transforms into a huge rush of astringent and aspirin-like bitter hops. Huge notes of oakiness in the finish and some vanilla up front. Like the original Bastard, it isn't very smooth of a beer, which does negatively affect it.

Mouthfeel is very velvety with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is middle of the road. One or two 12oz bottles or a single bomber is enough for me. I actually prefer the original Arrogant Bastard to this, which I even feel is overrated a tad. (755 characters)

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.