Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

I procrastinate every year when the 3L bottles of Oaked Arrogant Bastard are released and eventually never get it. Since it was only available in this large bottle (or if very lucky, on-tap) I never got a chance to try it. So this year when I found out it was going to be available in 6 packs, I had no excuses. Maybe one excuse – the 6 packs are generally in the $13 range – kind of a lot to pay for 6 beers. I had to try it so I didn’t think twice about it.

The color is a deep amber with a hearty head lacing all over the glass. The aroma put me off at first. It has an almost helium birthday balloon smell. That mostly dissipates and becomes an oaky, caramel. The taste is the same but a heavy malt presence. Hops break through once in awhile. The texture is thick and chewy.

Admittedly, I’m not the hugest Arrogant Bastard fan in the world. I think it’s a fine beer, but certainly it’s not near the top or my favorites as it seems to be with others. The oak aging improves it, rounding out the flavors. Definitely glad I picked it up.

sloejams, Dec 08, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -10%

Pours a super clear magnifying fiery orange/red. A modest off white to tan head is bubbly from the the profile and creamy up top. Leaves some good sticky lacing.
Sweet citrus and pine notes. A definate woody aroma coming out of this one. Some alcohol. more nice fruitiness shows up later on.
Lots of oak in this one. The oak even seems a little green. Bitterness comes through and seems much stronger than AB. Sweetness is more evident in small sips. Alcohol shows through as the beer warms.
Lighter side of full bodied. Well carbonated. Flavor sticks to the palate. The bittering oaky finish is almost cloying.
Nice to finaly try this one. I have a few that I'm gonna lay down for a while. I did enjoy this one, but think that the oakiness needs to settle a bit. Again the oak just seemed to fresh.
Will definately revisit in a couple months...

BeerRun13, Dec 07, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours nearly brown, with a hint of red. Nice two finger brown head.

Spicy vanilla oak dominates the nose with a supporting cast of American hop citrus and caramel maltiness.

Vanilla oak flavors meld with a fruit maltiness up front. Kind of like vanilla and peaches. This quickly turns into the intense citrus and lingering bitterness that I expect from regular Bastard.

Full oak induced mouthfeel, very smooth and fulfilling. This beer is great, it has alot of oak character and is surprisingly drinkable despite the cacophany of flavors pounded into the palate.

nortmand, Dec 07, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

12oz bottle, no date. Pours a rich brown with ruddy overtones and clear into an Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Two finger tan head is very creamy, displaying good retention and ample small-bubbled lacing.

The aroma consists of woody, toasty, hops and malt, along with pine, some faint citrus rind, and herb. The flavor offers all that, plus a nutty smokiness and just a spike of phenols.

The mouth is complex as hell, packed with myriad sensations and taste characteristics, yet good carbonation and a creamy notes just prior to the bitter finsh, balances out the hop onslaught.

I think it offers more complexity, and a kinder gentler overall palate than the un-oaked Bastard, making for a more drinkable cousin to the original. If warmed to a proper temp, I could drink a sixer in a night without suffering from palate trauma.

It's wicked awsome.

Osiris9588, Dec 07, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

$14 for a 6-pack at BevMo, after tax and CRV. I had to try it, simply because Stone gets so much hype. I've had some awesome Stone brews before (Arrogant Bastard wasn't one of them), but I've always felt that they had a following that was a bit too....loyal? You just have to try a beer you hear that much about!

First impression: 5-star head, stained brownish-white and clinging all over the glass. The nose is very subtle, and hints of dust.

This is the most gentle Arrogant Bastard I've ever had. The flavors all melt together in perfect harmony, something I've always thought the regular A.B. lacked.

This one's got a "brown bitterness" all over the palate. Dry bitter finish accompanied by some tannins. The fallout lasts a long time, and is exponentially bitter as time goes by.

The mouthfeel is soft, like many finely aged beers I've had. The body has the feel of hard water, with a slightly chalky aftertaste. The malts coat your tongue all the way down. Very subtle alcohol heat plays nice with the malts. Almost no percieved sweetness.

Cheers, Stone, this beer is great. It's almost everything I was looking to improve in the A.B. and more. Seek-find-drink this beer!

rayjay, Dec 07, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

[3.75 for a 12oz picked out of a sixer at Downtown Wine and Spirits, Somerville a couple of days ago]

Ruby beer with a killer head - not overly huge, but very pretty and long-lasting and massive lacing. Aroma is very light, actually. Pleasant, perfumy lavender and pink grapefruit. A bit of a zingy chemicalness all the way through. At first the nice caramel malts (and a little roast too) help to cover it up, but it continues past when the malt is gone. Also leaves tobacco leaves on the tongue. Medium-thick body is kind of creamy, but also becomes a bit thin and sketchy towards the end.

Eh, one is enough. This is too mellow and the finish tastes a bit like household cleanser. Overall it is a real disappointment, considering how much I like the regular bastard and most of Stone's other beers. To be honest, I would not have guessed that this was a Stone beer if I did not pour it myself, since it is not up to Stone's standard of excellence.

waughbrew, Dec 07, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a reddish brown with a medium tan head. Much like the regular AB, the head subsides after a bit, leaving very thick, sticky, lacings.

Huge grapefruit and sweet citrus rind aroma with some hints of pineapple, pine needle and malt.

The flavor is smoother and a bit more balanced than the regular AB. Sadly, this does equate to a lesser hop bite but the flavor is also a bit more complex. The flavor is red grapefruit, orange rind and pineapple up front. This is balanced by a nice bouquet of piney hops. There are some roasted wood flavors mid sip that give this beer a distinct taste compared to the the regular AB.

The palate is medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation.

I'm not sure that this brew could replace my love for draft AB. It is, however, a nice change from the norm and quite convenient in the six packs.

Estarrio, Dec 07, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -14.3%

I bought two bottles of this at City Wide in South Bend last week and im just now opening up the first.

A:Pours into my tulip glass dark brown with a hint of crimson. Khaki-colored head and some really sticky lacing. very pretty.

O: Smells hoppy and full of alcohol. Also some medicinal quality to the odor. Sweat and feet are both things i pick out too, im sorry to say. And, yeah, there's some oak smell.

T: Well, its certainly interesting. Quite complex. Very bitter up front and also quite piney/sprucey (funny, i don't get any oak in the flavor). Lots of nasty (good-nasty) hops and the alcohol is obvious and somewhat welcome. Some small amount of vanilla on the finish and the bitterness hangs on throughout. Tastes like A-B with a lot more alcohol and less refined.

M: Full mouthfeel, not as syrupy as I expected.

D: I don't know how i feel about his overall. Yeah, its an interesting thing to do with an already interesting beer, but it kind of just funks it up and makes it harder to drink and, well, less fun to drink. I'd rather have the Bastard straight, thanks. Next up is the Double Bastard that's in my fridge.

aforbes10, Dec 06, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

12 oz bottle, $14 for a 6er that I was very pleasantly surprised to find at Goodrich's in EL.

A: Pours a caramel-ly brown with reddish hints, small head that disappears to a ring a little quicker than I would expect.

S: Smells is more balanced than AB. Nice hop smell, but also contains some nice malt, a touch of vanilla and oak. Overall very inviting.

T: Interesting. The initial taste is similar to AB, huge blast of hop bitterness. This is cut by the smoothness created by the oak. Finishes with oak, a touch of smokey bourbon, and leaves a charcoal bitterness.

M: Full bodied with just a touch of stickyness

D: The oak smoothes it out a little, which makes it more sippable than AB, in my opinion. I feel the drinkiability for the two are similar, just in different ways.

Glad I got to try this. As stated above, I find this is just as good as AB. Both hoppy bitter beers, but whereas AB is pure hop bitterness, I find the oak finishes with kind of a 'charred' bitterness. Nice to have an oak aged beer that accentuates instead of dominates the original taste though.

mjd83goblue, Dec 05, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

had to get some of this after all the hype, hope it lives up to it

A - OAB pours a nutty brown with sharp scarlet highlights, atop sits a two finger thick rocky eggnog colored head, tiny scant carbonation rise through the beer

S - very strong grapefruit hits my nose first, with bitter hoppy highlights alongside some floral notes as well, at teh back is a slightly woody aroma which, of course, must be from the oaking

T - like the aroma, the grapefruit is up front and strong in the taste as well, very nice flavor, the oaked woodsiness is stronger in the taste than in the nose, and it finished with a superbly high quality hoppy finish, so bitter and potent it lingers on your palate for hours, i can still taste it (had it 45 min ago)

M&D - the mouthfeel is smooth for its potency, but you have to like strong beers obviously, otherwise very nice and balanced and layered nicely, great job stone, though i prefer regular AB

sinstaineddemon, Dec 05, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Had this twice now. Once about a year ago out of a 3L my neighbor bought and then again recently out of the new 12oz bottles.

Pours a very deep brown with a small white head that fades quickly. Haven't had it side by side with regular AB, but I'm sure they are about right on in color.

Smell is actually hop first. Was expecting the oak and alcohol, but Stone's lust for hops comes first I guess. A little roastiness comes through with the oak.

Taste is also hop forward (not a bad thing). The oak is very subdued compared to some of my recent offerings of oak aged beers. I'm a big fan of such, and was hoping for more in this. The normal arrogant bastard alcohol kick is also there

I was a fan of this beer the first time I had it. It was a while ago but I swear I remember there being more oak to it. Maybe a year of aging might take the hoppiness away and leave more of the oak. Wasn't sure how old that 3L I had was. I always though that oak is exactly what AB was missing (which is bold to say it's missing anything though). I guess I though it would compliment it very well. I'll hold on to some of these and re-visit next winter.

Callenak, Dec 04, 2006

Pours a brownish red color with a small head that sticks around a while then disappears as you drink it. Smell is mild with a slight woody odor. Taste is solid, but it doesn't jump out at you. Very hoppy with a nice bitterness to it. Mouthfeel is medium. Overall a good beer. If given the choice between the Oaked and the regular bastard I'd choose the more fruity Arrogant bastard.

treedoctor5002, Dec 04, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

A thick, sticky pillow of foam sits atop a dark copper brew, absolutely refusing to disperse.

Malty aroma, whole-grain toastbread, hints of orange and tangerine.

Taste is excellent. A strong, juicy citric hops presense is perfectly tempered by moderately sweet malt. Fresh-baked bread notes give way to some bittering, leaves just enough pucker without being excessive. Oak is present in the background, as is a slightly mineral flavor, imparting further character into an already excellent brew.

As good as this is, I'm glad I opted for a single 12 oz bottle rather than an $18 sixer. The oak is interesting, but it doesn't make an already awesome brew that much more exceptional.

shirfan, Dec 03, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -19%

Appears a near transparent auburn toned amber with a fluffy, ivory head that slowly fades into a dense, soapy cap. Tons of hearty, scattered lace sticks around the glass.
Smell is of caramel, flowers, mild grapefruit, pineapple, light vanilla, earthy spiciness, and gentle oak tannins that may have been missed had I not known oak chips were added to the mix. Aromas were lighter than anticipated.
Taste is spicy, sweet caramel, overly bitter of grapefruit along with gentle woody tannin flavor.
Mouthfeel is astringent, bitter, medium bodied, sweet, with the balance being out of wack and very little evidence of the American Oak.
Drinkability...I'm not believing the hype with this one. This may be one of the most over-rated beers I've seen on this site IMHO. I'm just not feeling it..."I'm not worthy."

weeare138, Dec 03, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Much anticipated bottle here, $17.00 a sixpack at the Liquor Barn stores in Louisville. I've passed up the 3 liter magnum bottle(with lock and key) several times the past three years because of price. So, the 12 oz bottle pours a hazed chestnut body with a small light beige head that quickly falls into a film. Some spiderweb lace dresses the snifter.

Aroma opens with citrusy grapefruit and pine cone notes, not unlike the unoaked version. Caramel malt whiffs are noted before the woody oak essence takes charge.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated. The oak imparts some sawdust chalkiness.

Taste largely mirrors the aromas. Bitter citrus rind and spruce pine hops, a hint of caramel, and a touch of vanilla. The oak chips lend more of an astringent feel of sawdust than vanilla and soft wood, however. Even at room temperature, this finishes somewhat abrasive and overly woody.

I would rate the original Bastard higher than this. Stone has some attractive pricing on many of their excellent offerings, but I'll pass on this one next time.

merlin48, Dec 02, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -25%

Same cough syrup red color with a decent tan head. I honestly do see my difference between this the the regular stuff. Lots of spicey and piney hop aroma. Huge bitterness. Long agressive finish. The oak here is subtle at best. For some reason, I am enjoying this more that the regular bottle I had a couple of weeks ago.

tjthresh, Dec 02, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

12/1/2006 $8.99 6 pack 7.20% No best by date, though this is 2006 release.

Appearance:

Pours a slightly hazy medium brown, speckled with plenty of orange. Topped by a ridiculous 3 inches of creamy tan foam that is very slow to settle. Looks like I'm going to have to wait to enjoy this.

Aroma:

Sweet muscat grape aroma coupled with a hint of oaked chardonnay. This was made with American oak wood chips, and it definitely imparts a wine-like nature to the nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Smooth syrupy viscous mouthfeel is accompanied by a touch of hot alcohol and some blisteringly bitter hop oils, with pine-like resin flavor characteristics. I've never loved Arrogant Bastard, but was hoping the oak imparted some quality that would raise this up, much like whatever Stone did to Double Bastard, that makes that such an exceptional beer. That quality is lacking in the Oaked, and though it is better than straight up Arrogant Bastard, it still isn't good enough for me to recommend.

cbl2, Dec 01, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -29%

Hazed dark mahogany/ruby red appearance. Thin and bubbly dirty white head. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is all that goodness I remember from AB with just a hint of woodiness in the aroma. That pineapple tropical fruit melange brings back memories. I also get a little caramel/nougat thing going on. Taste is fairly bitter and actually a little harsh and abrasive. I'm not sure I like the effect of the oak chips here. Cuz I remember loving the hell out of the real thing. I think the chips bring a little astringency to the mix. I don't dig the aftertaste at all. All that tropical fruit goodness that I remember takes a backseat now unfortunately. To the over-riding oak chip quality. Too much for my liking.

I guess they're right about this one. I'm NOT worthy.

Thanks for the brew Darren.

Bighuge, Nov 30, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

A clear dark ruby body beneath a frothy beige head is poured from a 12fl.oz. bottle.
It has a citrus, ruby-red grapefruit and concord grape nose.
It tastes juicy and bitter, like overestimating a bite out of a grapefruit and grabbing an immoderate amount of rind. There's an initial malt sensation, but it quickly subsides as the hop flavor grows and finishes bitter and dry at the end. I don't want to call it subtle or mellow because there isn't anything delicate about it, but the flavor progresses slowly enough that the drinker is not overwhelmed by the striking level of hops; it's like an Arrogant Bastard in slow motion.

delicious, Nov 30, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours out like really dark ice tea with a small amount of the white stuff.
Smell is fruity and hoppy. Orange and plum and piney hops mixed with a slight sugary aroma.
Taste is very bitter with a caramely sweetness that lingers for a while ending in just the bitterness of the dark bitter hop. Almost like an apple drink with a bitter aftertaste. Really nice.
Mouthfeel is very clean and the hops/oak seem to make the tounge .go through all kinds of changes during the sip.
Drinkability is high here if you like the hop/oak. It is really nice.
I could drink a bunch of these if they didn't cost so much.

peabody, Nov 30, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

I have been trying to track a down a six pack of this beer for a good solid month now, and finally I came acrss it tonight. Pours a lovely ruby red coloration, with a nice sticky white lacing that holds well through the course of the glass. At first musky grain was the only smell I was getting, but after letting it warm up a bit, I picked up on some nice peach and nectarine smells. Taste was big on hops up front, followed by the fruit characters in the background. There was also a certain bitter rye taste after swallowing, mixed with lingering warm alcohol. This is a pretty big beer to be honest, at least on the palate. I was a bit surprised that the alcohol content wasn't a bit higher. I could sit down with a six pack of these and probably finish them off in a night. Having said that, it was much mroe ejoyable sipping this one, and letting it warm a bit to get the full range of flavors and aromas. I must admit that I've never really liked the unoaked Arrogant Bastard, but this one hit the spot with me. I didn't really pick up on the oak addition, but none the less, I liked it alot. Definitely recommended if you can find it.

jamie2dope, Nov 29, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

One of several 12 oz. bottles I bought from the 2006 release; poured to a standard pint glass. Silkscreened bottle label includes a defintion of "Arrogance" and an "Enjoy by" date of 01.19.07.

A: Chestnut brown w/ruby highlights. Clear with a small light tan head and decent lace.

S: Spicy sweet smell with bountiful hops and a notable oak smell. Savory.

T: Gigantic hops - drippy, resinous and potent. Smoky oak barrel aging is subtle, with a pungent and tannic flavor of sappy wood chips. Bitterness is balanced but notable.

M: Hoppy backbone, spicy and piney. Sweet finish with a full mouthfeel. Hops overpower the malts.

D: A fine beer but not one I'd drink everyday. I'd imagined this would be 'amazing' and instead it's just 'very good' with hints of oak-aging. Still I would drink this again, many times over. Try this (if you can find some) and enjoy!

msubulldog25, Nov 29, 2006
4.2/5  rDev 0%

This beer poured a deep dark brown, almost root beer colored. With a slightly brownish white head that did not last very long at all. There was a fair amount of lacing, but the beer almost look flat when you poured it, but it was not flat at all. The smell was a slightly oak malt smell with a hint of nuttiness.

The taste of this beer was very good a nutty malty flavor with a nice balance of hops and a really nice hint of smoke. This beer had a nice mouthfeel with the CO2 being perfect and slight thickness to it. Also this beer was very smoothe with a nice bite at the end.

Another great beer from Stone and I really enjoyed getting this beer in a 12 oz. bottle. Worth a try if you are a fan of regular Arrogant Bastard.

BradBLR, Nov 27, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz. bottle

a - poured a tan two fingers thick head into a tumbler. body is reddish-brown with a slight haziness. head retention is great leaving nice lace and sheeting.
s - oak with a slight pine hoppiness.
t - very hoppy in the front, vanilla maltiness in the middle and the oak comes through at the finish.
m - really dances on the tongue. good carbonation.
d - nice brew, the first time i had this i loved it and this seems to not have the same punch. the first time i had it it had been aged a while and i am planning on doing the same with the others that came with this six pack. i also need to do a side by side with the regular AB to get a good comparison.

GPHarris, Nov 27, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a dark red/orange with a fluffy off-white head.

The smell is dominated by the hops. The oakiness (is that word?) is muted in the nose but it's there, beyond the pungent hops. Very good smell, what one would expect from a Stone beer.

Taste is noticeably smoother than regular Bastard. The oak is indeed there in the taste. A nice woody, vanilla flavor is blended with the bitter, citrusy hops. The malts are sweet and the aftertaste leaves the faint lingerings of oak on the tongue. A fine beer.

Litterbean, Nov 27, 2006
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.