Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,841 | Hads: 5,069
4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz. brown bottle with the usual screened image of the arrogant gargoyle and an indication of OAKED in the title. Into an imperial pint glass, pours a clear, dark, reddish-copper with an excellent foamy, beige head and leaves some excellent lacing. Aromas of caramel malts and an citrus/earthy notes from the chinooks. I can sense some light hints of oak when I swirl the glass smells a bit like spruce to me. Tiny hint of ginger bread. Full bodied, with a slick mouth feel. Alcohol has a numbing effect on the palate. Plenty of caramel sweetness throughout this beer. Mid-to-finish is more complex. Earthy flavors, and that spruce/oak flavor mingles with a pine dry bitterness. The Alcohol is very warm. I think the oak really magnifies the bitterness. Very good beer but a sipper. Enjoyed at room temp.

Cheers! (817 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Nice 3+ finger head. Fluffy and tan. The beer is a deep reddish brown (more red than brown) with not much visible carbonation. As it settles the aroma fills the air. Sweet citrus, very mellow, round, and smooth. Buttery hops. and now a taste... Wow. I've had arrogant bastard before but the oaked is SO much better. It's silky smooth and flavorful without having that abrasive tang that regular AB has. It has a thick and smooth mouthfeel that warms your tongue. Better than I expected, I was thinking it was one of those overrated beers that people only thought they liked because it was expensive. Not the case at all. This beer kicks some serious ass. (700 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

hazy brown with a bit of red-orange. it's got a somwehat thin, but tightly bubbled head.
piney grapefruit bomb of an aroma. upon closer inspection you find some veiled oak and fruity barleywine like caramel.
goddamn, what a fine tasting beer. it's got those sweet caramel berry-like barleywine qualities washed over by a flood of piney grapefruity hops, and wood-y oakyness and some vanilla. a load of bitterness and spicyness cleans everything up at the finish. absoluely delicious. i would love to marinate a steak in this.
medium bodied for the most part, with a slightly more than moderate carbonation.
very drinkable, a real masterpiece of a beer. (656 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

12oz. Bottle
$15.99 6-Pack
Big Red Bloomington

Oaked Bastard poured dark amber into my snifter. When held to the light I can see the clarity of this beer along with the glowing hot ruby highlights. There was a 2 finger antique white creamy head that dropped slowly to a sparse coating, thicker around the edges. Leaves moderate sticky lacing.

The smell is very unique. The first thing that comes through is the oak. It shows itself with a soft creaminess. It almost reminds me of melted vanilla ice cream. This mixes somewhat strangely with the citrus hops. Smells like a creamsicle. After some deeper smells I pull out some caramel maltiness deep inside. The oak and hops take the cake though. Sometimes I really enjoy this smell and sometimes it turns me off. Tonight I enjoy it.

The taste gets better with warmth. The oak makes things very smooth and creamy tasting. The hops have a citrus bitterness that comes through mid-palate and stays bitter after the swallow. There is a mild raw alcohol note on the swallow as well. Again, very unique.

Mouthfeel is the best part of this beer. It's medium bodied and very creamy. The mouthfeel really compliments the flavors. If it wasn't for the mouthfeel having a hand in things the flavor would have gotten a lower rating.

I can only drink one of these at a time and slowly. Too many big flavors to drink more than one.

This is a strange and interesting beer. When I first tried a bottle I didn't like it at all. I drank it too cold as well. Making my way through more bottles it gets more and more enjoyable. The flavors are hard to take in at first. They werent really expected. Definately worth a try if you see it.

Slainte! (1,681 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a dark amber/dirty copper color with a frothy one finger white head. Slightly hazy. Nice and fluffy head retention that leaves pretty nice lacing.
S: Surprisingly fruity hop presence in the nose--fruity, floral, and piney. Slight woody malt background.
T/M: Nice big hop notes--grapefruity with a bit of pine tar and sap. Stunningly dry on the tongue with a hefty level of bitterness. Oakey notes are present in the finish, but don't overtake the hop notes. Malt is present also, but not dominant. Very well balanced brew considering the oakeyness. The thought of a hop bomb crosses the mind, then the malt shoots in. It's almost like your licking a oak branch that was just used to split open a grapefruit. Pretty bold body and quite complex.
D: Are you worthy? Definitely a great tasting brew. Smooth and well balanced with a good body. They sure like their hops at Stone. Drinkable everyday... (908 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

The final major variation of Arrogant Bastard for me to try here...I have been quite impressed by Arrogant and Double Bastard, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

The pour is textbook for this beer, beautiful burnt orange colour with a 1 cm white head on top. The smell is huge, even for Bastard, and heavy on the hops...particularly grapefruit, very sweet, malty grapefruit, truly exceptional both in strength and depth.

Taste starts out with an abrasive hops kick which then segues into a very heavy, citrusy bitter, which grows as it sits on my tongue. A distinct, oak imbued background is present throughout, and it seems to accentuate the malt base without dominating it. The finish on this is all sweet, gentle actually. The final swallow warms nicely and gives a kick on the way down. I really like this stuff. The flavour is not quite as aggressive as Double Bastard, but the oak in the middle and the sweet finish seemed to lend it even more character, great beer!

The mouth on this is thick, extremely viscuous, like silt from the bottom of a barrel. The drinkability, moderate: not something you're going to down quickly, but you wouldn't want to anyway.

The bottom line: My favourite of the impressive Bastard lineup, not quite as abrasive as Double, but the additional oak aspect, and sweeter finale in this one make it my pick of the lot, spectacular stuff. (1,390 characters)

4.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark amber color with a mediocre tan head. A lovely assault of hops in the nose, mostly citrus. The aroma of hops is complemented by hints of sweet malts and alcohol. The front is smooth and mellow, very sweet with little carbonation. It finishes spicy and bitter from the hops. A nice balance this brew is. A very good ale. I am not sure how much the oaked part makes so next will have to try the non-oaked.... (419 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

12oz sample from 2006
Pours a gorgeous dark amber that you can still see through. 1/2" head disappears but leaves behind nice lacing as the level of liquid lowers. Massive resiny hop smell that I can pick up 3 feet away from my face. Grapefruity hops as well. Tastes much mellower than original AB with an almost sweeter upfront taste. Slams you with a bitter, sticky and resiny aftertaste. Medium bodied with a peppery and prickly carbonation. Extremely drinkable even at 7+%. My only regret is that I didn't pick up more of these. (533 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Finally got my hands on one of these bad boys at Firewaters in A.C.

Poured a dark amber with even darker ruby highlights. Tan head faded fairly fast and left only light lacing behind.

Nice blend of scents in the aroma. Citrusy and lighter pine hops, caramel and biscuity malts, vanilla and last, but not least...oak. I thought the oak would have been right up front in my face but it wasn't and I liked that.

Wow...the taste is just...wow. A nice blend of all the different scents in liquid form. The oak is there from beginning to end, but isn't overbearing at all. You still get all of that Arrogant Bastard goodness.

Medium bodied with a crisp, dry bitterness. Very drinkable...I would love to find some more of this somewhere. Another excellent Stone product. (775 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours into a pint with a 1- finger head that is slowly dissipating with each sip, while leaving a nice lacing. The color is very dark ruby/copper.

Ive never smelled a beer like this; strong, but mellow. I can almost smell how it tastes;

smoky, chewy, not as viscous as I expected (not a bad thing), nor as alcoholic. Heavy malts, hops. Might be a little biased based on the Sierra Nevada Celebration I just finished.

Very foamy mouthfeel, so foamy it almost turns into a cream as I "swish" it around my mouth. Very drinkable and I would have to recommend it. (568 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear dark ruby with a huge tan head. The head lasts forever and leaves great lacing. The smell is very pungent with citrus hops and a creamy "bisquity" aroma. Lesser smells include vanilla and oak. The taste is a bitter blast of citrus hops followed by a creamy mixture of smoked wood,sweet malt and carmel, vanilla, and alcohol. An excellant tasting beer. The m/f is medium with all the flavors mixing perfectly making this a classic beer. A truely great beer making me feel not worthy. Cheers. (504 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Dark amber color with a thick, foamy off-white head. The head laced most of the way down the glass.

Smell: A light woody, caramel aroma. A bit bready, too. Not much hops in the nose.

Taste: This is extremely well blended with a consistent taste throughout. A good woody (oak? duh!) flavor with a mild bitterness in the end. A little spicy.

Mouthfeel: A good medium to full body...a bit chewy with good carbonation.

Drinkability: This went down smooth for a strong ale. (532 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

On tap at Coles! What a find!

Pours a hazy red/brown, small but thick off white head, nice lacing and great retention, this shit sticks. Smell is toffee, vanilla, piney resin, oak, toffee, big malts, big hops, big oak, spectacular. Taste is more of the same, toffee rich maltiness, vanilla and citrus, amazing play between the oak and the piney hops. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with medium carbonation, thought the carbonation was a touch too aggressive, nice clean bitterness. Fantastic, this deserves its high rating. (523 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this one. I'm generally not an oaked/"aged in" fan but wanted to give this one a try as I dig the original Bastard and dig Stone brews in general.

It pours a very nice ruby/copper mix in terms of colour with a decent sized head that leaves a moderate amount of residue on the glass.

The aroma was spicy and woody. General malt notes hit from all fronts along with a bit of citrus fruit from the hops. A bit of alcohol is present but not overpowering.

The flavour hits on all of the aromas quite nicely and in a well-balanced way. The oak flavour is present throughout and makes for a nice compliment to the rest of the flavours in the beer: citrus hops, earthy malt and spicy notes all blend for a great flavour experience. There is some general sweetness from vanilla and caramel that comes though here and there that was not so noticeable in the aroma. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a bit oily, and sort of sharp in the mouth, if that makes any sense.

I really dug this one. It had some bite and different flavour but was balanced enough that no one flavour or aroma overpowers you. It's one of my favourites within the oaked phenomenon, if not my favourite. I still am not a huge fan of the beer oaking process overall, but I'd be more than happy to drink this one again and if you are into oaked beers, you're bound to love this one... (1,384 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

Quite cloudy, dark, nearly mocha brown. Tight headed head dies quickly. Small amount of lace.

A blend of smells with each whiff, the first one was earthy, like decaying leaves. The second smell was a stong fresh hop with light dry malt. One of the most interesting aromas I've experienced.

Strong bitter hop up front. Although its aged on oak, I cannot taste it. This is a smooth beer with full body which provides good counterpoint to the powerful hop. This bitterness lasts from sip to swallow to aftertaste, which lasts a very long time.

This is not a balanced beer, but it is a rich, full beer with wonderful bitterness. (633 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Very pretty beer- quite dark, with deep ruby and garnet colors when held to the light. It has a tan foamy head that stays for a few minutes, then retreats to a thin layer of foamy film that leaves lacing around the rim. Smells... green. Green and woodsy. Piney. Definitely green, foresty things, backed up with a booze punch and a little bit of sweetness.

Taste is also green, with more alcohol coming through. The sweetness makes itself better known, with vanilla and malty flavors, though it still keeps a backseat to the woodsyness, and hop bitterness. The hops have an earthy feel to them, melding well with the oaked woodsyness. There's a nice finishing biscuityness towards the end of the sip that finishes very nicely.

Mouthfeel is slick and smooth, full. This is a very very tasty brew, alcohol is deceivingly tasty and/or sneaky. This is definitely less harsh than the regular Bastard, which I also enjoy. I'm not sure whether or not I prefer one to the other... have to have a side by side comparison. However, this one really is more well-rounded and easier to drink. Less sweet than I recall, but then it has been a while. An excellent brew. (1,159 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Served at about 38F into a Dead Guy Ale pint (stirring up West Coast rivalry) from 12 oz silkscreened bottle.
Aroma at the bottleneck was malty, a hint of hops.
Pour was peculiar, very hazy, looked like silty fluid. Excellent head developed, 1"+ tan and foamy, left a great lace.
Looks in the glass very hazy, silty, nearly opaque brown.
Aroma good, malty and rich.
Taste is full of caramel, lots of malt and pungent hops, very enjoyable. Finishes with a very delectable lingering smoky aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is thick and rich, with a subtle siltyness in the background. What is that stuff? Starch? Residue from the oak chips?
Drinkability is awesome. Complexity and carmel match the 7.2% alcohol well, making this a very balanced beer. Like other top beers, wish I'd bought two of these instead of just one so that I could have another! (845 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Oaked Arrogant Bastard in a 12 ounce bottle. Lovely indeed.
It's really hard for a beer to look more appealing than this one; a deep, dark chestnut color and a radiant almost ruby color when held to the light. A generous tan head that settles to a consistent foam and lacing that writes a story on the glass.
Smells... deep. This is not fizzy yellow fare in the least. Rich malt scents; smells quite a bit like a bourbon soaked fruit laden cake. Enticing and appealing.
The inital taste hits like the original Arrogant Bastard but quickly smoothes out to what I can only describe as maple syrup. This makes for a silky texture in the finish, along with persistent hop resins to let you know that this is still a Stone brewery brew.
As dense as this is I couldn't see drinking more than a 12 ounce serving or two at a time but I would definately break this out to warm up a cold night. Where most wood aged beers tend to come off as way too woody to the point where they lose their identities, the oak in this has to wrassle with the deep malts and pungent hops making for a terrific balance of strength, depth and rich texture. Even those that don't like Arrogant Bastard should give this a try. Noteworthy at the very very least. (1,234 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Keep in mind that I drank this beer with a medium head cold running its course. I was hoping to taste this beer, and I sure did, but it was not over powering. A delightful mix of hops and malt, with a strong, hop presence. A dark brown, almost ruby color. Not much head, but that might be deceiving, as it took the server a while to bring my brew. Not much evidence of lace in the beginning, but nice pattern as I enjoyed my pint. As far as aroma, I smelled hops, and again, not overpowering, but I can't penalize this brew because of my head cold. I hope this beer is still around when my head cold is gone. (608 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

I procrastinate every year when the 3L bottles of Oaked Arrogant Bastard are released and eventually never get it. Since it was only available in this large bottle (or if very lucky, on-tap) I never got a chance to try it. So this year when I found out it was going to be available in 6 packs, I had no excuses. Maybe one excuse – the 6 packs are generally in the $13 range – kind of a lot to pay for 6 beers. I had to try it so I didn’t think twice about it.

The color is a deep amber with a hearty head lacing all over the glass. The aroma put me off at first. It has an almost helium birthday balloon smell. That mostly dissipates and becomes an oaky, caramel. The taste is the same but a heavy malt presence. Hops break through once in awhile. The texture is thick and chewy.

Admittedly, I’m not the hugest Arrogant Bastard fan in the world. I think it’s a fine beer, but certainly it’s not near the top or my favorites as it seems to be with others. The oak aging improves it, rounding out the flavors. Definitely glad I picked it up. (1,052 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a super clear magnifying fiery orange/red. A modest off white to tan head is bubbly from the the profile and creamy up top. Leaves some good sticky lacing.
Sweet citrus and pine notes. A definate woody aroma coming out of this one. Some alcohol. more nice fruitiness shows up later on.
Lots of oak in this one. The oak even seems a little green. Bitterness comes through and seems much stronger than AB. Sweetness is more evident in small sips. Alcohol shows through as the beer warms.
Lighter side of full bodied. Well carbonated. Flavor sticks to the palate. The bittering oaky finish is almost cloying.
Nice to finaly try this one. I have a few that I'm gonna lay down for a while. I did enjoy this one, but think that the oakiness needs to settle a bit. Again the oak just seemed to fresh.
Will definately revisit in a couple months... (850 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours nearly brown, with a hint of red. Nice two finger brown head.

Spicy vanilla oak dominates the nose with a supporting cast of American hop citrus and caramel maltiness.

Vanilla oak flavors meld with a fruit maltiness up front. Kind of like vanilla and peaches. This quickly turns into the intense citrus and lingering bitterness that I expect from regular Bastard.

Full oak induced mouthfeel, very smooth and fulfilling. This beer is great, it has alot of oak character and is surprisingly drinkable despite the cacophany of flavors pounded into the palate. (571 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

12oz bottle, no date. Pours a rich brown with ruddy overtones and clear into an Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Two finger tan head is very creamy, displaying good retention and ample small-bubbled lacing.

The aroma consists of woody, toasty, hops and malt, along with pine, some faint citrus rind, and herb. The flavor offers all that, plus a nutty smokiness and just a spike of phenols.

The mouth is complex as hell, packed with myriad sensations and taste characteristics, yet good carbonation and a creamy notes just prior to the bitter finsh, balances out the hop onslaught.

I think it offers more complexity, and a kinder gentler overall palate than the un-oaked Bastard, making for a more drinkable cousin to the original. If warmed to a proper temp, I could drink a sixer in a night without suffering from palate trauma.

It's wicked awsome. (861 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

$14 for a 6-pack at BevMo, after tax and CRV. I had to try it, simply because Stone gets so much hype. I've had some awesome Stone brews before (Arrogant Bastard wasn't one of them), but I've always felt that they had a following that was a bit too....loyal? You just have to try a beer you hear that much about!

First impression: 5-star head, stained brownish-white and clinging all over the glass. The nose is very subtle, and hints of dust.

This is the most gentle Arrogant Bastard I've ever had. The flavors all melt together in perfect harmony, something I've always thought the regular A.B. lacked.

This one's got a "brown bitterness" all over the palate. Dry bitter finish accompanied by some tannins. The fallout lasts a long time, and is exponentially bitter as time goes by.

The mouthfeel is soft, like many finely aged beers I've had. The body has the feel of hard water, with a slightly chalky aftertaste. The malts coat your tongue all the way down. Very subtle alcohol heat plays nice with the malts. Almost no percieved sweetness.

Cheers, Stone, this beer is great. It's almost everything I was looking to improve in the A.B. and more. Seek-find-drink this beer! (1,194 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -22.2%

[3.75 for a 12oz picked out of a sixer at Downtown Wine and Spirits, Somerville a couple of days ago]

Ruby beer with a killer head - not overly huge, but very pretty and long-lasting and massive lacing. Aroma is very light, actually. Pleasant, perfumy lavender and pink grapefruit. A bit of a zingy chemicalness all the way through. At first the nice caramel malts (and a little roast too) help to cover it up, but it continues past when the malt is gone. Also leaves tobacco leaves on the tongue. Medium-thick body is kind of creamy, but also becomes a bit thin and sketchy towards the end.

Eh, one is enough. This is too mellow and the finish tastes a bit like household cleanser. Overall it is a real disappointment, considering how much I like the regular bastard and most of Stone's other beers. To be honest, I would not have guessed that this was a Stone beer if I did not pour it myself, since it is not up to Stone's standard of excellence. (956 characters)

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.