Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,848 | Hads: 5,112
4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

from a BA trade with b0ldfacelies, 12oz. bottle poured into an Imperial Pint

A: Pours a bold, striking, vibrant reddish color featuring a huge, rocky off-white head. Like everything else about this beer, it makes a statement with its appearance.

S: Smells more like the best DIPAs on the planet, loads of fresh-baked cookie goodness, and a gorgeous roasted nutty quality makes this aroma a serious winner.

T/M: Again, bold is the word here. A blast of massively bitter grapefruit splashes your taste buds before giving way to the dark, roasted malt center. The grapefruit bitterness is joined by a long, aggressive piney finish. This beer doesn't so much get drank as it does ASSAULT your taste buds. Perfectly balanced carbonation makes it easy to wrestle with large gulps of this monster at a time.

D: If this beer wasn't so dang expensive, I'd buy it more often. It's ridiculously fun to drink, if not outright drinkable.

Highly recommended!

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

On tap at Coles! What a find!

Pours a hazy red/brown, small but thick off white head, nice lacing and great retention, this shit sticks. Smell is toffee, vanilla, piney resin, oak, toffee, big malts, big hops, big oak, spectacular. Taste is more of the same, toffee rich maltiness, vanilla and citrus, amazing play between the oak and the piney hops. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with medium carbonation, thought the carbonation was a touch too aggressive, nice clean bitterness. Fantastic, this deserves its high rating.

3.05/5  rDev -27.2%

Hazed dark mahogany/ruby red appearance. Thin and bubbly dirty white head. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is all that goodness I remember from AB with just a hint of woodiness in the aroma. That pineapple tropical fruit melange brings back memories. I also get a little caramel/nougat thing going on. Taste is fairly bitter and actually a little harsh and abrasive. I'm not sure I like the effect of the oak chips here. Cuz I remember loving the hell out of the real thing. I think the chips bring a little astringency to the mix. I don't dig the aftertaste at all. All that tropical fruit goodness that I remember takes a backseat now unfortunately. To the over-riding oak chip quality. Too much for my liking.

I guess they're right about this one. I'm NOT worthy.

Thanks for the brew Darren.

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

A bastardization of what you get when you mix some orange, amber, brown and red color ale. Looks impressive. Smell is even more impressive, not as viscious as the non oaked version.

In fact, the oak seems to mellow out the whole ale, as opposed to offering a more complex beer necessarily. The usual chinook and cascade hop dominance with a very strong malt backbone, but the oak seems almost like they dry hopped it with oak chips as well. Mouthfeel thins through the bottle, but this remains a surprisingly drinkable beer, not nearly as demanding of a drink as the other versions of bastard ale.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance:1/2” light tan head, reddish amber, brilliant, leaves sheets of lace on the glass Flavor: strong hop flavors that are pleasant and lingering that cause a drying astringency in the finish. The finish is drying and there is some vanilla from the oak that brings out some of the malt flavors. The hop bitterness lingers and it is aggressively hopped but has a rich malt base and some light fruit flavors that emerge at the beginning of the finish and then dissipate. Like a bitter tonic. Mouthfeel: Medium to medium full body. Medium carbonation Overall: A big beer with big flavor that can handle itself.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My 400th Review!

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a hazy red/brown colour with a large size frothy light brown coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some excellent lacing. The head lasted for around 5 few minutes before it was gone.

Smell - malts, hops, grapefruit/orange, wood, pine, caramel

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and it has a very full bodied taste. There are a lot of bold flavours going on.. I can taste lots of hops, malts, and a caramel sweetness. There are also notes of pine and a orange/grapefruit flavour. There is also a underlying woody taste from the oak aging. It finished with a malty hop aftertaste.. the hop bitterness lingered in my mouth for a short while after the beer was swallowed.

Drink - A very interesting beer that I'm happy I tried. I'm not sure I've had anything quite like it before. That being said, I'm not sure I'd seek it out again.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Served in a snifter, the beer pours a reddish/brown, with a small tan head. It smells like citrusy and piney hops, some wood (oak), and caramel. It tastes like bitter hops, wood/oak, and a bit of sweet malt. Not too bad. It starts bitter, then is sweet, then has a bitter lingering hop finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy, and also a bit oily. The drinkability is good, but not great. It's still a good beer, but I like the regular Arrogant Bastard Ale better.

3.51/5  rDev -16.2%

Bought at Parti-Pak Liqours in Indy. I got there last three 12oz bottles. The next Time I went in there, they had a big ass magnum of the stuff on sale for about $60.

My first Oaked Arrogant Bastard.... Ohhh joyous day.

Appearance- Reminds me of a Peruvian Walnut I saw at the local exotic wood store some 2 months back. Light tan head that hngs around for awhile, but digresses to a thick foam. Very light bubbling, but some sporadic lacing sticks fast to my pint glass.

Smell- For a second or two, it smelled like BO and bananas. The Bo subsides greatly after a few more sniffs. The hops mixes a bit oddly with the oak in this offereing. Give the beer an aroma tha isn't as flattering as expected. The bananas was really of putting but unique though.

Taste- Hops and oak come together in an odd marriage. Not as pleasing as I expected. The first flavor is that of stinky, Pacific hops the lend an almost musty bitterness. The oak kicks in a little later in the middle of the palate. The some bitter bisciut hit you right after the oak and its light vanilla nuance towards the end.

Very unique, ans still worth the tiume and effort to come by it. But it definetly wasn't the orgasmic brew I had expected. I'll save one bottle for aging, with no time limit set at the moment. I will get back to you on how that turns out.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Interesting aroma with notes of pine, chocolate, vanilla, wood and malt.

Nice mahogany colour with a small, short lasting tan head.

Tasty with lots of resinous hops, plenty of bitterness and a smooth malt to back it up. Surprising well balanced. The bitterness lingers for a while but I wish there was a bit more to the hop character than just bitterness and a bit of flavour. Good.

Medium-light body with moderately-high carbonation, this is just a little gassy for me.

An interesting beer, especially as I haven't had Arrogant Bastard before. A nice way to finish off the evening.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Darkish-amber color witha thin, brown head and some lacing. Aroma is nice and oak-ish, slightly fruity/malty as well. Taste is really strong with hops/malt upfront and a nice oak aftertaste that is somewhat dry towards the back of the throat. Second sip confirms a floral/grapefruit taste in the middle before hitting the back of the tongue. Very smooth and complex. Basically Arrogant Bastard with a nice oak feel to it. Lots of lacing left behind as well.

Definitely worth the $2.50/12oz bottle. Would buy this beer again for sure.

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Best by 12-08-2009.

(A)- Pours a hazy mahogany amber color that produced a solid tan to orange colored head that dissipated after a minute or two.

(S)- A big piney yet malty sweetness. Very dry with lemon & lime citrus. Bits of butterscotch.

(T)- Again, very very dry with very piney citrus. Some light maltiness of roasted butterscotch. Finishes dry & woody.

(M)- Good carbonation level with good balance too. Very dry with light malts. Almost chewy in how dense it feels but not overly so like a stout would be.

(D)- A good beer with an extremely dry feel that is made even drier with the oak barrel. Definitely a winner, but I think I would rather just reach for the regular Arrogant Bastard; its less expensive and easier to find, and perhaps just as good.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Presentation: Drank on tap at Naja's in Redondo Beach, served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Extremely dark opaque brown, with a 1-finger whitish tan head.

Smell: Hoppy, malty, and inviting.

Taste: Strong and delicious. I guess I'm not experienced enough to tell the difference between this and the non-oak version. This tasted the same to me (although to be fair, it's been about a month since I last had arrogant bastard). Very very nice.

Notes: No problems recommending this to anyone. Very strong and addictive.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Well I had to pick this up since Lucky bastard rocked my taste buds. I like the regular Arrogant and the Double was way too yeasty so I can't wait to taste this brew

A - Pours a semi dark hazy amber with a nice half inch of head. Caked sediment in the bottom of my bottle may suggest a old bottle. Lacing looks awesome.

S - Really funky the oak and hops smell pretty strong almost woodsy. Slight caramel sweetness on the nose.

T - Wow that's pretty balanced. Starts off hoppy and bitter then the oak kicks in almost faintly kicks the bitterness down a notch and oaky wood flavors pretty strong yet smooth. Finishes sweet but not too sweet making me take another sip to re-evaluate. Impressive!

M - Medium bodied. Kind of dry but smooth.

D - Well I can see what the base was in lucky bastard! The oaking of this beer really takes it to the next level and makes me want to mix it with the regular Bastard. A very good bastard of a beer! BTW single was 3.75 but if I was able to get a sixer for under 15 bucks I would pick it up.

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

The aroma is quite piney and citursy. Can't detect the oak aging very much but because I know it's there I'm searching for it and I can find it. Slightly sweet malts that suggest a full-bodied experience to me.

The taste is very hoppy, but at the same time not. It's starts out extreme hoppy and then really really quickly switches to maltiness; nearly on the level of a double IPA. I usually hate beers this hoppy but the oak aging mellows the hops enough that I really enjoy this beer. I have to commend Stone for creating a beer that is this hoppy yet has been aged in oak. What a treat indeed.

For some this may be a hard chore to finish, but I pounded mine, almost accidentally. It was about 6 mo old so the hops and alcohol may have been muted compared to fresh off the press examples. Honestly, my favorite Stone beer I have ever had as their usual beers are way too Pacific coast hopped and ruin my palate, but this one, I will re-visit and that is a first for me and Stone.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured an auburn-tinged brown with a beige head that was two-finger high and sticy. The oak is a little noticeable in the smell, as is some sweetness, but the hops really come through.
A dark fruit taste mixed with some oakiness hit my tongue first. There is some sweetness in there, caramel I believe, and the hops do come through although not as powerful as some other Stone BC brews. A medium-bodied beer, full is stretching it, that goes down extremely smooth and hearty. I have to have this again.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Got this on-tap at Trappeze in Athens.

Pours a dark copper color with a one-finger off-white head that slowly dissipates into a thin layer of bubbles on top and a thick ring around the glass that leaves great lacing.

Smells very nice. Lots of sweet malt and piney hops that accompany an earthy/woody aroma. There's also a very nice floral hop aroma that decreases as the beer warms.

Tastes great. It's very sweet up front, followed shortly by a wallop of piney hops before evolving into a woody flavor and finally ending with a flavor that's somehow bitter and sweet at the same time. Every now and then I'll get a slight hint of citrus hops.

Mouthfeel is great. The beer does a good job of coating my mouth, and it's got a great thickness to it. The carbonation is a bit more subdued than the original AB and this works well with the mild oak flavor.

Drinkability is very good. I finished this beer much to faster than I should have at that point in the night, but I had a very easy time doing it. Definitely give this bad boy a shot.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a cloudy texture. There was an inch of foamy, long-lasting head and excellent lacing. Basically how an American strong ale should look.

S: Had a very hoppy nose, along with some malt and pine.

T: A surprisingly subtle flavor. Lots of hops, malt, pine and even hints of citrus. Underplayed, especially when compared to the regular Arrogant Bastard, which has a huge flavor.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: On the whole an excellent, drinkable beer with lots of character. The oak adds a interesting dimension. Very mellow.

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

The ber pours a dark brown maber, pretty clear. The head is a very light tan, rising about four fingers and has great retention and lacing.

The aroma is medium in strength with lots of oak to start and a strong alcohol finish, not very appealing or balanced.

The taste sadly loses all the oak that was in the nose. It is replaced by the harsh bitter alcohol that is straight from the regular arrogant bastard. Its just boring here.

The feel is heavy, but a lasting alcohol bitter finish.

Overall, not a big AB fan, the oak doesn't improve it.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cask @ Real Ale Fest
Oh my grannies bustle, this was my second most favorite at the Real Ale Fest, just a tad behind the Russian River OVL Stout, in fact I had several samplers of this to be sure I was able to judge its character lol.

A somewhat hazy brown, the head a tan crown that was creamy in texture, the lace a thick coating upon the glass, with the nose sweet with the aroma of malt and Oak, hints of alcohol and bubble gum, yummy is a good description. Start was ambrosial, thick with malt, the top moderate to full in its feel. Finish was moderate in it’s a acidity, the hops delightful, quite dry and a bit of a tummy warmer, one damn fine beer in this old dawg’s book.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a brilliant amber with copper highlights and a frothy one inch beige head that dissipates slowly, leaving thick, holy lacing.

Resin, pine, and grapefruit open the aroma, with fresh cut grass and slightly dank cannabis rounding out the hop profile. There's some caramel malt sweetness buried in there somewhere, along with toasty oak. Notes of dark fruits...raisins, prunes, and figs, emerge.

Flavor is a juxtaposition of sweet and bitter. There's an initial promise of bitterness, which the malt overcomes mid palate, but resiny, herbal hops take back the profile in the finish. Grapefruit, tea, fresh cut grass, resin, burnt caramel, and oak are on the laundry list of flavor notes. Lightly burnt toast flavors emerge as it warms.

Body is fairly full, with moderate carbonation and light alcohol warmth. They'd a bit of hop astringency present.

Great, complex beer. A little too resiny bitter for my liking, but still very good in all other respects.

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%

A-Pours a dark brown with shades of red on the outer layer of the brew. The beer boasts a thick fluffy and creamy head that retains and refuses to fade off. This beer leaves great lacing as well. Looks exceptional.

S-Great hoppiness erupts from the beer. I am actually finding this version to be a bit hoppier in the nose. The deep malty undertones mix great with the sneaky oak notes.

T-I find that the oak completely adds a new dimension to such a great beer. I do indeed enjoy the oaked version of Arrogant Bastard more. The hops are mixed with some luscious caramel maltiness. I get some slick vanilla flavor. The woodiness really enhances the flavor in my opinion. A hint of candied cherry is there too, which I find in all Arrogant Bastard versions. Quite complex and delicious.

M-Great slickness. Does the oakiness enhance the mouthfeel? I find it does. Smooth and creamy.

D-I am gulping this single 12 oz. far too fast. Alcohol is masked well. Great drinker.

Of the normal Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and Double Bastard (I have not tried Lukcy Basartd) I love the Oaked the best. I find it to add some great complexinty. Not all beers are better when oaked; I find oaked IPAs to be less delicious. However, Arrogant Bastard is a perfect beer to be oaked. Awesome.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Reviewed from notes 1/9/2011

A: hoppy and sweet at the same time, perhaps a small hint of vanilla and oak

Ap: a reddish-brown hue with a 1½ finger tan colored head. left decent lacing on the glass.

B/T: mild carbonation, smooth, medium body, rather dry

Af: sweet up front, but very bitter on the backend. hoppiness very present. the bitterness lingers on the tongue

O: a decent brew, well balanced, not necessarily a beer you need more than one of at a time.

3.99/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle purchased from Beers of the World in Rochester, NY.

Pours a very dark brown, with a foamy one inch head, and a good amount of lacing down the glass.

Smells like strong woody oak, searing piney hops, and lots of sweet malt.

The taste is similar. They really capture the earthy smoky oak flavor in this one very nicely, it's like sucking on an oak tree covered in lupulin. It's quite hoppy, as imagined, with lots of grapefruit and pine, but the oak aging smooths the flavors out considerably and makes them more palatable. There's some sweet malt and vanilla flavors in the background.

Medium bodied, crisp, dry mouthfeel, a slow sipper.

Probably the best "Bastard" due to the increased restraint that the oak-aging brings.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

12oz single - one of those beers i have always wanted to try but never wanted to buy a 6 pack of.

appearance: poured into a snifter- its beauty is apparent right away - dark garnet body with a huge creamy beige head thats fluffyness remains strong throughout and laces the entire rim of the snifter - NICE!

smell: lovely sweet cherries, cognac, vanilla, big time oak chips, white chocolate...just tons of complexity here

taste: In my opinion, this knocks the socks off the standard arrogant bastard, which i dont seem to enjoy as much as i used to. The flavor profile is driven off the jagged oak presence that leaves behind traces of vanilla bean and white chocolate before the bitter hopped out core is reached. There is some light booze but the resiny hops steal the show after the initial oak blast.

mouthfeel: fairly smooth, bitter hop afterbite

drinkability: high

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

I remember the Old Days, when this used to be a highly anticipated seasonal. Those days are GONE. Best by 13th Feb 2012, which puts this at just shy of 3 months old (or is it 6?)

Pouring a clear, dark cherry wood with a dense, light brown head with excellent retention and lacing, this looks great. The nose has plenty of pine hops, along with a noticeable oaky vanilla. In addition, there's some fruity hop character as well,with mango, oranges and a little papaya. Some dark caramel is also noticeable.

The palate opens with a blend of juicy pine bitterness, citrus fruit, and an immediate oak tickling. There's vanilla, some raw oak character that makes the hops a little cheesey. The mid palate allows the malt character to shine, complex but still light, with caramel, candied fruits, a little bit of burnt sugar, even a little bit of bread. Drying on the finish with some oak, a nice piney bitterness and a little bit of burnt sugar, this beer is medium-light in body and moderately carbonated. The mouthfeel is quite nice here. A good beer.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.