Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,065 | Reviews: 1,848
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Pours out as a reddish brown color with a fairly nice head.

S - Smells of oak, caramel, and sweetness. It's hard to pinpoint, but it reminds me of peaches.

T - The caramel is a huge taste right as it hits your tongue, but the hoppiness is also apparent as it develops. The oak isn't as pronounced as one might expect. The sweetness definitely comes in, and reminds me of peaches.

M - The carbonation doesn't overpower the flavor, and it goes down smooth.

O - It's a great beer, but as others have notice it is generally pricey. Nonetheless, I highly recommend trying it at least once.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a "It's not too expensive. You're too cheap!" pint glass. This beer looks more or less like regular AB Ale. It's a murky dark brown with a bit of a head.

When I stick my head in it I smell hops and thick malts. No oak smell.

The taste is where this beer is at. Oddly enough one of the primary things i taste is a vegetable stew. It sounds crazy, but here me out. You get a bit of stewed carrots and bellpepper flavor out of it. Looking past that flavor there is a definite hop taste with a finish that is quite a bit different than that of regular Bastard. After 30 seconds or so I start to get an oaky aftertaste that the oak chips provide to the already excellent Bastard ale.

Heavily carbonated as a lot of the Stone beers are. Don't chug this one.

I like this beer quite a bit, but I think I prefer normal Bastard. The decision to only put this in 6 packs has always been a little strange to me, but at the same time it kind of makes sense? I dunno, I just know it's good.

3.06/5  rDev -27.1%

I'm sorry.
For someone who described Arrogant Bastard Ale as "the Owsley acid of beer," I feel like a traitor doing this review. I fear that the oak flavoring has changed this to some strange hop-flavored bourbon stuff. All I could taste was bourbon. I don't like bourbon at all, so maybe that's why I was disappointed. Oh well, it's still better than Rainier and definitely better than Fischer. If you like the bourbon smell and taste, I'll bet this will be good for you.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Auburn color, slightly cloudy. Nice foamy head, but doesn't last long. Tons of lacing.
S - Smell is lightly hoppy and a little sweet.
T - The taste is balanced, somewhat mellow but nice. Not really a strong presence of oak, but the time in the barrel seems to have taken off some of the rough edges. The hops are apparent, but not overpowering, little bit a sweetness on the tip of your tongue.
M - Mouthfeel is slightly heavy, but not syrupy.
D - All around very drinkable beer. Flavors are nicely balanced, nothing offensive, enjoyable without getting old quickly. First glass went down fast.

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

A very dark red Almost blood red. Cream colored foam that dissipates quickly.

Malts with a wood smell. Strong presence of oak and malts.

A bitter hop taste with some malt and strong oak taste. Hops are very present.

Smooth drink with a heavy feel.

Overall a great drink. One of the best oaked beers I have ever had.

4.11/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottle from some cheap ass liquior store in Baltimore...$1.50!!!!

A- Dark borwn with a thick tan head

S- Be change up from normal arrogant bastard....obviously the oak hints and smokeyness

T- Bah-blam...lightly Chocolate woody oak taste with maybe some really dark fruitty hints....maybe cherry

M- Much more tame than his big brother, not nearlay as much od an ETOH kick and much smoother going down

D- Goes down easy, for a buck fiddy its hard to beat, a bunch of places around me sell it for 16.99 a 6 pack

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance: Deep amber color with ¼ inch cream head. Head appears to have viscosity of whipped cream. No real lacing to speak of.

Smell: Caramelly, molasses-like. Bananas and rum. Oaky.

Taste: Surprisingly balanced, based on the smell and oak-aging. Not too sweet. Starts with gentle, bubbly carbonation followed by a creamy, rich mouthfeel. Hop bitterness comes through fairly strong for the style. Definitely tasting the oak and maltiness as it finishes, and a warm heat exudes from the alcohol.

Overall: Pleasing aromas and a very well-balanced beer. A little thinner than I imagined, but other than that it is high-quality.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Deep, dark red color with cream colored head. Beautiful lacing, medium beading that becomes finer as it mellows and very nice, consistent carbonation. Solid head retention as well.

Smell: Bold citrus notes with some sweetness and hints of vanilla and cinnamon.

Taste: The citrusy hops are up front, as with regular Bastard, but this is noticeably mellowed by the oak which imparts a nice note of vanilla, cinnamon and very subtle oakiness. I only wish those notes were slightly more pronounced. The signature bitter Bastard finish is still there and in force.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly crisp, but it doesn't sacrifice the body. Well carbonated and the carbonation lasts.

Overall: An absolutely excellent tweak to an already excellent beer. When I'm in the mood for Arrogant Bastard I'll definitely be going oaked from now on. The mellowed down character with depth of flavors makes this even better!

4.71/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured into perfect pint glass

A: Deep, clear amber/copper color. Two finger of creamy, slightly tan head that stuck around for a while. The head left a lot of lacing on the glass as I drank the beer down.

S: I got a roasty malt smell that was firmly present but not overpowering. I could also smell a little biscuit scent.

T: The beer has a big malt taste with a biscuit and malt flavor that makes a notable appearance. There is also a subtle woodiness (oak I suppose) that is more apparent as the beer warms slightly.

M: The beer has a medium to heavy mouth feel and finishes medium long. The carbonation is medium.

O: I really, really enjoy this beer. I have had a ton of arrogant bastard over the years. In comparison, I find this version to have more of a biscuit like flavor and a subtle oak flavor. All around I think the flavors are fuller in the oaked arrogant bastard but still balanced well. I suppose the oak aging, or whatever they have done, has made the flavors more pronounced. One thing that surprised me was the obvious biscuit flavor. I don’t recall getting that flavor in the regular arrogant bastard. Once the beer warmed ever so slightly, I noticed the flavors came out wonderfully. This beer is awesome. You should drink it.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured to Tulip best before date 12/25/07.

Wonderful cherry color with a monster creamy head that wont go away; looks like frosting on top.

First smell give me great hops with a background of the rough woodsy oak that this has been aged in. A lot more to this, some of the fruity esters from the yeast coming through.

Taste is much more mellow than the original AB, smoothed out with a lot less bitter and more warmth. The bitter is still very apparent but without the resiny quality - more of a citrus bitter. The wood is apparent but not overwhelmingly so. Aftertaste is as strong as the original and reminiscent of the Double.

Great beer here and would be even better after a bit in the cellar.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A- deep red, almost blood red.
S- smells of hops and spices gives it fruity smell, enjoyable wiff.
t- taste is full bodied, with a nice bitter taste , fruityness is very much there.
M- becomes more ipa like after a few seconds
D- pretty easy to drink.

a very good beer.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my new Westvleteren souvenir chalice purchased at the Abbey by Brother Bob

A: Beautiful mahogany brown color. Tan, creamy head that leaves nice lacing on the chalice. Higher alcohol content is evident as I swirl the glass and the ale clings to the glass.

S: Complex aroma of ripe bananas and floral notes as well.

T: Hop bitterness tempered somewhat by the oak aging.

M: Medium bodied with little carbonation.

D: Easy to drink, smooth ale. The 7% ABV would not deter me from drinking a couple more.

Summary: Really excellent ale from Stone. I've had the arrogant bastard before, but the oak aging takes it to a new level.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my stone pint glass...

A-Crystal clear copper or amber in color and very nice to look at, had about a 2 finger cream or off white head with little lacing...really liked the initial thick cream head on this one

S-Sweet malts, oaky hops and molasses...smells very bittersweet has some nice floral notes as well

T-Very surprising, candy like huge malt sweetness up front with a mild bitter malt mid with a slightly oaky floral dry hops finish...wow...that's a lot of stuff going on...not as oaky as I thought it was going to be...Still taste damn good...

M-Medium bodied with decent carbonation...oaky sweet and creamy floral mouth...I think you get more of an oaky taste on the mouthfeel than just a normal sip...

O-Very nice brew, easy to drink and would drink again or recommend...it's got a pretty heavy price tag at 15 bucks but I get it for 10 at my local liquor store so it's a mega score...

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

This poured a deep amber with a robust 3+ finger off white head and a nice amount of carbonation coming up. The foam is leaving a nice lacing all the way down my glass. The nose is big and wonderful, woody, citrusy and a bit of spice. Very hoppy beer with nice pine and grapefruit notes. The mouthfeel is robust and creamy. This is a delicious beer, and overall much more drinkable than regular Arrogant Bastard (though if it is better is arguable).

3.79/5  rDev -9.8%

My memories of my first Original Arrogant Bastard are that its hoppiness slammed me upside the head and ground me under its heel. My experience of OAKED Arrogant Bastard was pleasantly and surprisingly different.

The ale poured a deep amber red into my English Pint Pub glass, forming a good sized, rocky head that quickly dissipated. What little aroma there was brought to mind warm caramel, very malty. Taste is where this brew surprised me. In contrast to its sibling's smack you in the head assertiveness, OAKED Arrogant Bastard presents a well-blended sum of its substantial parts. A strong, caramel, malty backbone blends subtly with the hops. There is a faint undertone of oak that ties together the disparate parts in a chewy, dare I say smokey, harmony. For as strong an ale as this is, you certainly don't feel it. It might be better to call this a sneaky bastard.

3.99/5  rDev -5%

After drinking half this bottle ice cold, I let the other half warm up quite a bit before pouring. The color is a bit dark with orange hue. There was nice head development that didn't hang out for the whole glass. Smells good, but I've been outside in the cold, so I can't really pick up much. Taste has a great balance of hops and malt, I really pick up the oak flavor. The oak comes through as very "fresh" and I think it would do well to age this beer some more. Mouthfeel is on par. Its not too thick or think, the carbonation is nice (a bit mild which works well). Drinkability is hard for me to judge because its such an unusual beer style. I could go for a few of these, but I really like strong flavors. Its not too alcoholic, in fact its quite drinkable for the ABV.

Again, I really like this beer. I pick up the oak immediately, but think that its too "raw" Its almost like chewing on an oak chip. If you favor a good whiskey, check this stuff out.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

This American Strong Ale poured a medium amber color from the firkin. Small sized white foamy head. The aroma is caramel malt, earthy hops and a bunch of oak. A medium to full bodied American Strong Ale. The malts are caramel and fruity. The hops are grapefruity and floral. The oak flavors are mostly in the back end and the finish. Yeah it's double bastard and all that implies, but the oak aging has mellowed the beer a little, the oak and malts go well together here. Another beer that does very well as a live firkin ale. Very smooth taste. Nice soft carbonation. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean and crisp. Aftertaste is bitter.

3.91/5  rDev -6.9%

I had this one on tap at the Red Coat Tavern in Royal Oak, MI.

Wow, this is a totally different beer than the AB I had from the bottle a few weeks ago. Maybe it's the oak aging or that it was served on tap, but the hop bitterness was toned down.

Appearance was blase due to the fact that there was no head or any lacing. My first sip I was hit by a whallop of fruitiness, and after that I got the hops. Only after slurping it a bit could I taste the oak. I guess this is the first Stone that I liked(I haven't had their stouts yet), so maybe I'll sample a few more.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Pours a deep ruby-brown with an initially healthy 2-finger tan head that laces rather thickly.

S: Initial aroma of sweet, bready malts, with floral hops poking out.

T: Hop bitterness, slightly soapy, invades at first, as with a typical Stone brew. Slicht caramel maltiness breaks through, with a slight fleck of woody alcohol notes on the mid-palette. The hops, though slightly dissipating from the start, tend to return and take over the finish. Rather interesting, but at times distracting from the sweetness tasted earlier.

M: Medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation that catalyzes the reintroduction of hop bitterness. This factor I do like.

D: Ten bucks a six-pack would warrant a special occasion purchase, but something about Stone keeps me coming back for more. The 7.2 abv hits me a little harder than brews of this strength, yet I think I'm on an empty stomach.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Pours a dark rich amber color with a hint of cloudiness. The head is small and brown in color. The carbonation looks a little light but looks nice against the slightly cloudy appearance.

S - Nice smoky oak smell. I can't wait to try this beer!

T - Great taste with a nice and smooth bitter hoppy flavor. The oak is well balanced with the nutty flavor. Great hops and malts and finishes very well.

M - Great feel, not too bitter but still strong. The carbonation is subtle and finishes very nice.

D - Very drinkable though the flavor is a little strong if your having more than one or two. Great beer!

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - It has a sort of dark walnut color. Slightly cloudy, and a medium sized, tannish head. The head lasted for a very long time, and there was a nice amount of lacing.

S - I smell wood. This definitely delivers on the oak name. It has that classic ale smell with a bit of a hop bite to it.

T - This has a pretty good flavor. You can really taste the wood aged flavors, as well as some nuttiness. There is some bitter hops, as well as some spices and malt.

M/D - The carbonation is just right on this one. The strong wood flavor and hops makes this slightly harder to drink, but it is good. It has a heavy viscous feel to it.

Bottom Line: This is a high quality ale, you can tell it has been well crafted. The appearance and smell make it pretty top notch, and it delivers on the oak. It is a bit strong to drink a large amount of, but it would go nicely with some dinner.

~Cheers

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A luscious slightly cloudy brown beer with a two inch light tan foamy head. This is a damned attractive looking beer.

Smell: Sweet malt, an almost raisney smell. I can detect a bit of oak in the nose, but it isn't overpowering.

Taste: A slight bitterness with a strong sweet note is detected on the first sip. As I drink the beer, the bitterness becomes more prominent. I think the oak flavor is related to the strengthening of the bitterness as I drink the beer. The initial flavor is good, but the oak is really overwhelming my palette. The flavor is good, but I would like a little more sweetness to compliment the oak, or less oak flavor.

Mouthfeel: Good, but it doesn't stand out as anything amazing. There is a good light carbonation and a nice rich thickness.

Drinkability: With the alcohol percentage coupled with the palette crushing oak drinking more then one 12 ounce bottle in a sitting won't happen. I will drink this beer again,but this is a one/night treat.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Beer pours up nicely with a lingering soft, foamy head. The aroma is dark malt and warm brown sugar. The flavor has a lot well-rounded roasted malt character, with some faint chocolate. The bitterness from the malt and hops plays well with the sweet aroma. The mouthfeel, my favorite part, makes this beer truly extraordinary: thick, almost creamy. Alcohol comes in at a reasonable 7.2%, making this beer a good one to share with friends who might not be the biggest beer geeks. Thanks Stone, I'll definitely be picking up some more.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish brown with a thick creamy off white head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

Smell is very complex. Molasses, pine, alcohol.

Taste is very well rounded across the pallet. Oak, molasses, hops, and a nice alcohol burn at the end.

Overall, a very nice complex beer.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

I was able to enjoy a 12 ounce bottle of this recently, unfortunately the best by date had passed, but I found this to be a very enjoyable beer. The taste wasn't as significantly different than I was lead to believe, but just like most other Stone brews I found this overall satisfying. The price is pretty high in Denver, but it certainly isn't unreasonable.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.