Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

APPEARANCE: The Arrogant Bastard pours the same color as a nice Barleywine. It has a nice, thick head at first - about an inch - but it quickly dissipates and leaves very little lacing.

SMELL: Surprisingly it is a little weak on aroma. A little oak and some light hoppy aromas come through. It smells good, just very toned down.

TASTE: A strong dose of caramel greets the tongue up front. It isn't too sweet, by any means though. The wood quickly takes over though and dominates the majority of the sip. Oddly, the wood seems to supply a little more sweetness than the caramel flavors. The finish kicks with a decent dry citrus and mild pine flavor.

MOUTHFEEL: Rich and full-bodied with a very dry and palate cleansing finish.

OVERALL: This is a big beer. It is also a unique beer. I've had plenty of beers that have seen some oak, but this one has such an intense oak flavor that when I first tasted it I was unsure whether or not I really liked it. After getting over the initial shock, though, I was able to thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the Oaked Arrogant Bastard.

StoneTSR, Jul 27, 2012
4.49/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Purchased in Attleboro, MA.

A- Pours a deep amber, clear body with a thick, gushing off white head that reduces very slowly and leaves chunky, sticky foam 1/2" thick on the sides of the glass. Very appealing.

S- Very floral with citrus zest, a big malty caramel backbone, oak barrel, and pine sap.

T- The oak chips really punch you in the face the second this beer hits thee tongue - lots of vanilla, caramel, and butterscotch upfront. This progresses into an aggressive hop bite with lots of pine, resin, citrus, and floral notes. The finish is borderline astringent. All of this is sitting on a medium-heavy roasted malt backbone that gives it subtle notes of toffee, chocolate and caramel.

M- Medium-heavy body, medium carbonation.

Overall a hugely complex beer. The oak chips really take this beer to a whole new level and add a lot of nice flavors. I could probably only drink one of these in a sitting but it's good nonetheless.

gcamparone, Apr 13, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

CB_Crowe, Nov 07, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

ImFlyerThanYou, Apr 30, 2014
3.95/5  rDev -6%

Presentation: bottle from Village Bottle Shoppe in W. Lafayette, IN poured into a pint glass.

A: dark brown ale wiht some ruby highlights, murky, not as shimmering as regular Bastard. A off white head builds quickly, and falls away. A bit of lace but not much.

S: Strong oak nose dominates over the malty spine of the beer. The malty sweetness is pushed to the side for the oak. Hops present, strong and aggressive, but still mellow compared to the straight Bastard I had last night. Still a fruity hop bite in nose, but not as much.

T: More oak. Good beer to learn what oak tastes like. Big malt, big hop, but neither lingers not the mouth like the regular, again overridden by the oak. Not a great, but a good blend.

M: here's the thing that's weird, is the mouthfeel is a bit thin, definately lighter than the regular. Missing the chewiness for some reason. Still good, but some interaction I don't seem to get has changed the feel of this beer.

Overall: In spite of the notes above, this is still a pretty good beer. I'd prefer to have the regular Arrogant Bastard over this, which shows I suppose that throwing something in a barrel isn't always going to improve the beer, regardless of being more extreme (and more work). Not upset that I got the six pack, but wish I had more of the regular or gotten more Ruination.

Peer comparison: I'm off in another direction on this one, but I think I'm ok with that. Evidently the lighter mouthfeel is seen as smoothness but others, but I don't have any problem with the smoothness of the regular. Sounds like the tap version may have some subtleness not mentioned in the bottled beer, but I haven't had a chance to confirm that--sadly I live in a non-Stone state and grab it when I'm elsewhere. No one pointed to the oak as dominating as I did, which seems to be the point of reduction for me.

FightingEntropy, Nov 10, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +9%

So I stopped by Cole's for a late lunch one day last week, and I see that they've got AB on the beer list. I order it, and the server comes back and says, "All we have is the Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard -- is that okay?" Is that okay? Hell, yes, lady!
Served up as a full pint, Oaked Bastard is a cloudier version of the garnet-brown hued "regular" stuff. 1/2" of thick beige froth. The nose, unfortunately, was a bit more subdued than I expected -- perhaps from being served a little on the cold side? Anyway, Chinook vapors and roasted caramel malts wafted up, just not as strong as the non-oaked AB I've sampled. The taste is certainly that of the Bastard I know and love, yet different: softer, rounder, fruitier, more vanilla hints (the oak probably?) -- yet the brutal hops and malts abide. The mouthfeel on OAB is creamier and smoother. Medium bodied and chewy. I went back for more the other day and it was gone. :( Blessed nectar.

orfeu, Jan 20, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

The body is a deep, burnt murky amber hue that gives off honey amber highlights when held up to the light. A finger and a half of frothy and thick egg shell white head makes this beer look great in my tulip glass.

A rich, almost onion-like hoppiness is the first thing that jumps out at me. I also get musty pine notes that lie on top of grapefruit and lemon peel. A sweet and toasy malt character takes some digging to find but provides a welcomed sweetness. I have yet to have the original Arrogant Bastard so I can't pick out the differences, but I can say that, besides a slight woody note, I get next to no oak or vanilla.

The hop character that hits the palate first is hard to describe. It's something like an earthy herbal bitterness that leans towards being astringent. As it goes on, the bitterness becomes more pine-like with the addition of grapefruit rhine. A delicate sweet toasty malt character hangs out in the back as the hops do their thing. The oak aging is much more apparent in the taste, giving off notes of smokey wood and charcoal.

Medium bodied and smooth in the mouth. The level of carbonation helps to accentuate the hop bitterness which seems to largely be what this beer is centered on. The oak aging is apparent in the feel as well, giving the beer a delicate and creamy texture.

All in all, this is a solid, interesting and complex ASA. I'm happy to say that I've never really had a beer like this before and I enjoyed the experience. One day in the future I'll have this with the regular version to help me appreciate what the oak aging has done for this beer. This marks my first offering I've had from Stone and it's sure not to be the last.

ludachris, Apr 19, 2011

sbanacho, May 24, 2012

fsck, Jun 16, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz brown bottle from asix pack I purchased while visiting DC this summer. Pours a hazy meduim brown with a creamy 2 finger head, great longevity and beautiful lace. Lovely citrus hop aromas, but not overwhelming. Behind the hop is a just right malt smells mixed with a hint of yeast. Upon the first sip, the creaminess of it is beautiful. The initial malt flavors fade somewhat quickly into the hops. IMHO the hops a bit sharp. Nice bitterness in the aftertaste. It could stand some aging to completely smooth it out but it is still an excellent beer.

sabrills70, Jul 27, 2008

Andrew041180, Apr 25, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: translucent amber/brown hue, nice 1/2" head that reduces to lacing rings

S: complex aroma, citrus hops and slight oak harshness

T: a deeply complex beer with a nice malt backbone, bitting citrusy hops followed by the dryness from the american oak. Tasty

M&d: good mouthfeel, the oak abd hops are drying. Very drinkable, but I probbably could not do more than 2 at a session

Cheers!!!

UDbeernut, Jun 01, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Bottle courtesy of HogTown Harry via trade- much thanks Harry! I poured the twelve ounce bottle into a tumber- looks similar to normal AB- a little cloudy, deep caramel with an off white. Also smells typical AB, sweet, but the wood is noticable. Taste is just fantastic- in your face hoppy, but with a great malt backbone and the oakey flavour. The oak is defintely there- but not overpowering. It reminded me of the oak in Old Yeti. I think it really matches well with the style of AB. Mouthfeel is of a great body, medium carbonation and bitter/woody finish. I could drink many of these- but alas this is my only bottle. A great treat, that even the wife thought was delicious (who would have thunk it?). A great beer from Stone

oakbluff, Feb 12, 2007
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.