Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard AleOaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-15-2003

American-style Strong Ale aged on oak.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,065 | Reviews: 1,848
4.44/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a glass at about 45 degrees.

A: Nice auburn color. Midsized bubbles in the head. Head itself doesn't last long, but lacing does. A little cloudy.

S: Really nice smell. I wasn't expecting to smell the woodiness of it, but you can. Also can pick up the alcohol smell with hints of caramel and a bit of vanilla.

T: Very good. It does taste like standard Arrogant Bastard, with a lot more complexity. You can taste the oak. High hop flavor with a bit a lot of bitterness. Good malt flavor, but it plays second fiddle to the other flavors. Aftertaste will stick with you! The bottle says that they used American oak. I wonder what it would be like with French oak?

D: I wouldn't drink this with any lightly favored meal, or switch to another beer, but on it's own it is very drinkable!

Highly recommend!

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

this was the second beer i ever had to drink legally.
this beer is very expensive but sooo worth it.
you can defiantly taste the difference between oaked and normal arrogant bastard.
if you read the label on this beer it explains it fully. stone makes some good beer

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've never really cared that much for the original Arrogant Bastard. It's okay, and in a style that seems to be up my alley (I love hops, bitterness, etc.), but I always thought the brewers lived up to their hype and the beer was a dare to try something just overdone.

I got this six-pack (and another) from a friend of my wife for "fixing" her computer. A good deal for 20 minutes of work in my book, and despite some ambivalence regarding the original AB, I was intrigued by the oaking.

On occasion, I do drink wine, and I normally steer clear of Chardonnay, as I'm not crazy about drinking something that tastes like wood. Oaked AB demonstrates, though, that oaking may go better with beer than wine.

Poured into a nonic, the beer was very clear, and a flat medium-dark brown. Very little head (maybe due to the new glass, just washed) but what little there was lingered almost to the end.

Nose, just hops and maybe a light toasty malt aroma...I think I detected it only because I was looking for it. No evidence of oak in the scent.

The taste was where my appreciation for this beer took off. It seems like the oaking (assuming the formula is more or less the same as the original AB) mellows out a bit of the overly-assertive bitterness. It's still there, but, I guess I'd call it "flatter" than the normal AB. Hops are on the piney side, which I think matches well with the oak, which doesn't really stand out, but rather matches harmoniously with the other elements. Malt presence is subdued, as in the aroma. It's there, but you gotta look for it.

Mouthfeel, a bit thinner than I anticipated, but I think this supported the drinkability overall. More refreshing than I thought it would be.

I'm not sure I'd search this one out, given all the other great beers out there that I already love or have yet to try, but I wouldn't hesitate to drink it again.

Update, 11/21/07

I've since finished the remaining 5 beers in the six pack. I don't need to change the scoring overall, but I wanted to note that I think my description was off a bit. I don't know what I was smoking, but I missed out on the malt flavor in this beer. It's not nearly as subdued as I originally wrote. I think the beer is still in balance, due to the Stone proclivity for hops/bitterness, but the balance definitely tips more to the malt side than I'd originally indicated.

Although I wouldn't change my score, my respect for this beer actually grew as I finished the six-pack off. I think I'd be more likely to pick this one up, too.

This ale is in a category by itself. The brewers choice of hops, nutty flavored barley malt, makes for a very robust, complicated, tongue teasing, "ale". After taste of the hops in this beer would be a good thing...but....it disappears a bit too quickly. No problem...take another awesome sip. Loved it!

1.96/5  rDev -53.3%

I can't find the attraction to this beer. I know there are lots of people that love it, but if I wanted to suck on a grapefruit, I'd suck on a grapefruit.

I had the non-oaked version and found it barely palatable. I tried the oaked version and, while its more drinkable, it's hardly a beer that I'd say "yes please, I'd love another one!".

One of my least favorites from Stone Brewing and my least favorite strong ale.

3.61/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A little background on myself: I had a hot sauce drinking accident and burned my esophagus, mouth, tongue and skin after I vomited the mixture back up. This was 13 years ago. Since then, my beer likes have turned to the more hoppier IPAs and dry hopped brews and oaked brews because of my burnt taste buds. And now, my thoughts about this beer:

The color is a hazy orange ambery in normal light. The smell was a little skunky and oaky at first (may have been and older bottle or not temperatured correctly). By the name "Oaked" Arrogant Bastard, I was expecting oak. Might just be me, but could not taste any oak; perhaps the hops used covered up the oak??? At 7.2% ABV, it drinks more like a 5.5 or 6 ABV.

Bottom line, I would buy it again when in the mood for this style. I would also be very interested in trying a "Oaked" Double Bastard if there is such a thing.

Reviewed on 10/20/2009

While Arrogant Bastard Ale is becoming fairly common, one of its siblings, the oaked version, is still beneath the radar. This is essentially the same beer, but it is aged in oak casks, a process which imparts wonderful flavors and mellows the body. Oaked Arrogant Bastard pours beer-bottle brown in color with red highlights, letting little light through. The head is very frothy, vanilla in color, and leaves sheets of lacing on the glass. The aroma is subdued, with citrusy hops and sweet, spicy vanilla all amidst a mellow aged oak base.

This beer is very well balanced, appeasing an aggressive hopping with sweet malts and sour fruit esters. The woody oak flavor serves to relax the tension between the mighty flavors at odds. Each sip leaves a dry, bitter hop flavor on the tongue with the more cautious oak surrounding. The back of your throat reminds you of the past sweet vanilla malts and invites another sip. I would recommend checking out the Oaked version of the Bastard, but definitely check out Arrogant Bastard first.

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

S: Standard for Stone, I’m getting those west coast floral hops, cinnemon and a little “wet dog”… is that the oak?

A: There’s about a 1/4″ head that sticks around for while and doesn’t fully dissipate. Nice, pretty lacing happening around the edges of my glass. Deep dark reddish orange. Seriously good looking glass of beer.

T: Yum, hoppy, citrusy, malt sweetness-ow we’ve got some malty sweetness followed by a wham/bam of citrus-infused hop bitterness. Great balance, I love how the oak adds sweetness to complement the bitterness of the hops (in a way that is kind of similar to Hopslam).

My taste buds perk up and tingle when this hits them and then there is this perfectly booze lingering film on my tongue with sour hops and a caramel sweetness.

Overall: Love it. Great addition to the Arrogant Bastard Series.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance: Reddish brown, off white head, decent lacing
Smell: Pine and citrus very bright.
Taste: Good balance of sweetness and hops, some citrus. Some oaky vanilla tones appeared as the beer warmed.
Mouthfeel: Started out nice but became syrupy towards the end.
Drinkability: Definitely an eye opener, a nice taste with some boldness, but it was too much to drink more than one or two in a session. A glass of this should be savored as a treat.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

a: appears dark brown until held to the light, which shows off its great ruby red color. Head is a tan color and leaves lots of lacing

s: caramel malt with hops, citrus, slight hint of oak and fruitiness (confirmed by other reviewers as grapefruit)

t: complex, caramel malt hits first, fades into a hoppie bite with taste of grapefruit, followed by the oak.

m: nice level of carbonation, medium thickness

d: the more I drink of it, the more I want another. The taste grows on you.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: Cloudy, red amber color. Creamy brown head that dissipates slowly.
Nose: Extremely strong hoppiness. Has a nice floral scent. Get some nice chewy fruit smells in there too - like cherry.
Taste: Wow that's hoppy. Very good bitterness. Kind of smoky, too; probably from the oak chips. The bitterness really sticks around after I'm done. However there's a scunge of sweetness partnered with the bitterness that makes for a really good flavor.
Mouthfeel: It feels pretty light; not too thick. Big carbonation that I would expect with this ale.
Drinkability: Pretty good; not great. It tastes great throughout - it doesn't get flat or swilly at the end. It tastes like the 7.2% it is and the strong hop bite makes me inclined to enjoy one - okay two - before moving onto another.
Overall: Powerful IPA that slaps you in the face. I love the flavor and smokiness of this one. It's major drawback: the price. I paid over $16 for a six-pack. Worth trying, but I'm not sure I would buy again.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: a very interesting appearance. it is mostly a cloudy dark reddish-brown, but the very top 1/8 inch of the beer fades into a cloudy faint orange. not much head, a nice thin cream colored layer.

S: i get hit with the scent of grapefruit and peaches up front while the caramel lingers a little longer in the background. it is also apparent this beer has been in a barrel... a slight smokiness to it.

T: The hops are immediate - a burst of grapefruit and slight peaches that lasts through the end. a nice aftertaste of caramel and hops w/ a bit of smoke. as it warms, i can also smell and taste the pineapple as another reviewer noted.

M: is a little thicker and leaves a tasty coat of caramel and hops in your mouth.

D: I wish i could drink 3 - 4 of these at a time, but these are scarce around here, so i must savor the lone 6er I was given as a gift. this beer is a treat and if it is regularly available for purchase in your area, you must take advantage of it. it hardly gets better than this beer. I first had this beer on tap last year while in downtown San Diego*. as much as i love the bottled version, on tap was near mind-blowing.

*this past November I was in the area and had the opportunity to visit / tour the Stone brewery. while having lunch at their bistro, i was lucky enough to have a glass of a 2006 Oaked Double Bastard. talk about heaven in a glass...

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Notes- Poured into a Belgian Goblet for tasting purposes.

Appearance - Poured a deep/dark reddish brown, with a beautiful 1/4" creamy head which dissapated within a few minutes, leaving a nice lacing on the curve of the goblet and a surface layer of both large and small bubbles that remained on the surface of the beer throughout the drinking session.

Aroma - Cold, the ale has an almost smoky/woody aroma mixed with both resinous and floral hops, along with hints of brown sugar and bourbon. The wood nose that comes through is definitely oak, and it predominates the aromas. There is also a hint of coffee.

As the ale warms, the coffee, oak, bourbon comes richly to the surface, yet the hops still clearly comes through the center of the aroma...very citrussy.

At the warmest there is even a surprising hint of roasted coconut coming through.

Overall, the aroma is very porter-like...

Mouthfeel - The best word to describe the mouthfeel is "tangy," there is definitely a hop "bite" to it that touches the tip of the tongue, roof of the mouth and the back of the throat upon swallowing. My favorite salty snack is wasabi coated peas, and the bite is very similar, though not as hot.The bite dissipates quickly and the ale coats the mouth smoothly, like a Belgian strong ale...or a chcolate milkshake, but with a bit more carbonation.

This definitely warms as it goes down..at about the half way mark in the glass one feels a warming of the belly.

Taste - There is a lot going on here...The flavors are nearly identical to the aromas...chocolate, toffee, coffee, oak, bourbon, smoke, and a definite hop bitterness...but the hops are mellowed, or smoothed over by the oak aging, which drops it out of the level of "hop bomb" like it's un-aged brother...It moves it into the realm of chocolate/coffee stout.

The flavors are there from cold to room temp, but grow more pronounced as it warms. A noticeable smokiness comes through as it warms, either from smoked grain or because of a toasting of the oak...it is not overpowering, like in a Rauchbier, it reminds me of a porter I once tried that had peat smoked malt as 1/32 of the grainbill...just a hint in aroma and flavor.

Overall - This is an amazing ale...at 7.2% ABV it is not a Barleywine, but in terms of drinking pleasure...taste, aroma, mouthfeel, it could very well be. Maybe drinking it in a different glass would have changed this impression, but in my Belgian maudite goblet it brings the barleywine tendencies out...

I found regular Arrogant Bastard to be very much a hop bomb (which I can only take in small doses) but this version is mellowed quite a lot. It is mellow, but it is not "sissified," this is still a very aggressive ale. Think Arnold Swarzenagger in a tuxedo in "True Lies" as opposed to Arnold Swarzenagger as Conan the Barbarian.

The hoppiness still is reminiscent of bashing your head against the wall, but this wall is padded, like in a mental ward...The complexity of the aromas and flavors, especially the smokey/oakiness, makes this very drinkable...

Despite the Arnold comment, this is a very sexy beer...It's a hot blonde in a velvet dress, with a stiletto in her garter belt. The kind of woman, where after a night of unforgettable passion, you wake up in an ice filled bathtub missing a kidney...and spend the rest of your life wanting another night with her.

This made my top 10 list of beers.

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured an Deep amber coler from an 12oz bottle with an offwhite lacing. Intial nose is sweet woody hops and citrus aroma. Taste is amazing filled with burst of tangy hops, vanilla and spice. Mouthfeel is great with a long lasting oaky finish. Can't put this beer down!

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%

L: Poured into a tulip glass. Clear, with a beautiful deep red color and an off-white head that disappears for the most part kinda quickly, except for some lingering on the sides. Good lacing. Not really carbonated except for a stream of bubbles coming straight up from the bottom center of the glass.

S: Not sure if I'm smelling this right after looking at other reviews, but kind of fruity, maybe currants. Not really any hop aroma for me. A sniff halfway through the glass reveals some wood scent.

T: Great blend of hop bitterness and malts up front. The hop bitternes lingers on the edges of the tongue. A definite woodiness and vanilla comes through as well, which greatly smooths it out, especially compared to the un-oaked version.

F: Great mouthfeel. Exactly what I love to drink. Not syrupy, but it deifnitely has some weight on the tongue. Almost not carbonation tingliness.

D: I drank this pretty slowly because I was doing some work and 7.2% kinda requires you drink it slow, but even if I was free to get drunk, I'd probably need a serious break after 2 or 3 of this heavy brew. But just drinking one was fantastic.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured into a pint glass. This beer has an amazing appearance and smell. Great taste and complex flavors. Malt is brought out by the oak, but still a nice hop bite on the finish. There is a rich, creamy mouthfeel -- not unlike the taste you get from a beer on nitro tap. A very enjoyable beer to drink. Despite what other tasters say, I could drink these all day long.

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

Stone did an excellent job adding a little extra on top of their already magnificent line of beers. The experience you get from drinking this brew is what makes it so good. Full of flavor, smell, and leaves you feeling good. Not quite as much of a hop gives it a smoothness you don't always find in Stone brews.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a nice dark cooper color wkth a good sized head and a good amount lacing on the glass.

S: Citrus hops and smokey oak tones dominate the smell

T: A complex dark malt taste with heavy hopping and flavors reminiscent of grapefruit. The oak tones are subtle and superbly incorporated, giving this beer a nice touch.

M: Nice an thick with adequate carbonation, a medium body that's just right for the style.

O: A skillfully crafted brew; the enhancement of the Arrogant Bastard series with Oak tones takes an excellent beer and succeeds in making a captivating variation. If you don't enjoy it, "You're not worthy."

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer smells great looks like a dark chocolate color. Smell is very sweet with fruit aroma but taste is very bitter with extreme beer taste quality head is medium to high. All in all it was to bitter for me but i would definatly try it agian. Plus i did not taste the oak? maybe my pallete is not as refined as i thoght it was?

3.94/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I really liked the Arrogant Bastard Ale, so I was intrigued by the "oaked" variation here. In my opinion, overall, its not as good.
A - Pleasing dark amber colour. Almost red, like a wine. I was surprised at how dark it is. Moderate head.
S - Like other reviewers, I think the smell is pretty good. Distinct pine needle aroma of the hops but not overwhelming; a slightly nutty flavor with a sweet fruity aroma wafting through.
T - Starts with a bit of a subdued bitterness (not in your face hoppiness like some of their other beers) that is quickly passed by an intriguing sweet fruit flavor. Finishes with a nice astringent bitterness. Good but not amazing and for some reason doesn't taste as balanced to me.
M - Smooth, moderate carbonation, pretty good.
O - Not an "amazing" beer but not horrible. If you don't like Arrogant Bastard Ale or Stone Brewing's overall style, you won't like this. If you do, its worth a try—I think it is pretty good.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is another great beer in the bastard family from stone. A deep amber color is just tempting immediately. You can pick up on the oaken notes in the smell and taste immediately. Low carbonation. The oak notes are very much imparted in the taste. A good hop character still shines through as well. A must try to have at least tasted. I prefer the arrogant or double bastard over the oaked. Although, the oaken bastard is very good.

4.91/5  rDev +16.9%

First, this is one of the best ales available.

A: Head pours copper-red color. The head disappears but leaves sticky residue. There's a nice lacing.

S: Smells definitely of oak, other woods, and lots of pine/citrus hops.

T: Outstanding taste. Dry oak, strong hops, bitter pine, arrogance, and hints of caramel.

M: Medium-heavy body, very filling. Dry finish..

O: A little mellower than regular AB, but a better taste. This is truly a favorite. Not as sweet as original.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Being an AB fan I was curious of the oak wood chips. This was my first experience with an oaked ale.
A- dark, amber, brown thick foamy tan head that rises quikly, very thick.
S- sweet, woody, hoppy smell
T- not as hoppy as the original arogant bastard as the oak chips mellow it out. Rich flavor, reminds me of a rich hoppy amber ale.
M- rich, thick, and good
D- the only thing wrong with the drinkability is the price at 13.99 a six pack ,even though you will not be disappointed a pleaser for sure.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Very hoppy, but not overpowering, as I do not like the bitter hops. The oak clearly made a difference and seemed to mellow out some of the bitter overtones. I got a hint of vanilla, which was surprising.

It was an aggressive beer, but not overpowering. I feel it went down easier than expected, which could be bad, but I haven't like most of Stone's Brew before, so this was a very splendid surprise. I'd highly recommend it.

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into a newly christened DFH signature glass. This bottle was purchased in Southern California 4 days ago and driven back to Utah.

A-dark brown with a minimal head. Belgian lace lingered.

S-Complex. Carmel with some mild oak. No bourbon or other spirit aroma.

T-hop bitterness present up front with some carmelly malt
(special B? or just crystal). Tastes of mild oak with hops.
Finishes with a definite oak presence, although restrained, and
intermingled with hops and sweetness that lingers on the back
of the throat. Complex overall.

M-(see above) upfront easy to drink; however, the finish cranks
ups the taste buds and lingers (hops, sweetness, carmelly
flavors). Not to thick but still a tad sweet for me.

D-Even though the finishing gravity is likely relatively low
(1.014-1.017), as Stone tends to mash on the low end, the
sweet finish limits its drinkability. As with all Stones brews,
which I highly respect, the proprietary English yeast strain
leaves a sweetness, which I find limits drinkability. I do prefer
the oaked version because the oak gives a added complexity.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.