Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,989 | Reviews: 1,802
3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap.

A – Served to me in a pint glass. The beer appears to be a light brown, Coca-Cola in color, with a small off-white head that dissipates in no time. A ring of lacing hangs about on the perimeter of the glass. With each swig of the glass, a new ring of lacing is left in its wake.

S – Roasted grains and caramel malts. Strong notes of caramel and a nice nuttiness.

T – Malt forward, roasted notes come on strong with a light smokiness that lingers. A bit of caramel and another unidentified sweetness, reminiscent of coconut are noticed. A morsel of hops add another dimension to the brew.

M – A bit thicker than I had thought it would be, based on the initial appearance. Quite smooth.

O – A reasonably drinkable porter that seemed to pair well with a slice of cheesecake. I find it to lack the “smoked” feature it so casually advertises – while it is there, I find myself wanting a bit more. On tap it was good but not sure if I would seek this out in bottles.

Poured from a 22 oz bottle on 12/1/09

I'll start off by saying that I don't normally like smoked beers, this bottle is probably a year old

A - Pours a pitch black with 2 inches of tan foam

S - chocolate, roasted malts, hints of smokiness

T - chocolate at first, then smokiness followed by a charcoal flavor, not bad at all, smoke flavor comes in later in the mouth

M - good carbonation, smooth creamy mouthfeel

D - the smoke builds here, a nicely balanced beer, by the end of the bottle, it was too much for me, but overall i'd drink this one over most other smoked beers

22 oz bomber poured into imperial pint glass

A- half-intensity pour created a nice one-plus finger head. Velvety black appearance, light barely penetrates but creates a deep maroon color.
S- chocolate dominates at first, but not too sweet. hazlenut, mocha subtle after it warms a little.
T/M- a little sweet, gets more complex as it warms. i didnt taste the coffee as strong as everyone else seemed to, i would call it more of a light hint of mocha vs. coffee. thick in the mouth (and belly,) even with a lot of carbonation.
D- after-dinner, one per session. not my type of porter (i would rather have one i can drink as an appetizer or with steak, instead of dessert) but for its style this is very well-crafted and thought out.

3.52/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured Smoked Porter into a Belgian Tulip.

A - The liquid pours dark brown almost black with two fingers of light mocha head.

S - Roasted malt, light coffee, a touch of vanilla.

T - Roasted smoky malts, bitter coffee mid palate.

M - Medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation

O - A good beer. Just not sure I'd get it again. Cheers.

3.52/5  rDev -12%

Thanks to Hotterthanhell for this bottle...This one is a great intro Bier for non-smokers...

Pours up a fine bubbled head that drops too quick back into the deep brown/blackisch elixir thats shows hints orange around the corners of the glass. The aroma features a nice mellow smoke aroma with roasted sweet malts in the background. The hops are nice and provide an earthy touch. I did find the smoke aroma to be a bit medicinal...

The hops are earthy and come as strong as the smoke in the flavor. The roast malts are sharp and matched well with chocolate malts. The dark malts do provide a lingering bitterness. This Bier for me is somewhat stout-like due to the roast..Definatley a Robust Porter if a to be called a Porter. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and nice. Nice try by this brewery and a nice intro Bier for non-smokers. I'll stick to the Bamberg Biers...

Zum Wohl

Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Brewing Co.
Robust Porter
5.9% ABV
OG?
IBUs?
22 oz bomber with an enjoy by date of September 04, 2010 poured into a wide mouthed Gouden Carolus glass.

Appearance 5/5
As described on the bottle, dark and deep mahogany color. Clear, with a full, creamy, tan head from an aggressive pour that recedes to a thin head, but with a nice collar that leaves outstanding lacing. Inviting and true to style.

Aroma 3/5
I get no smoke at all. The first impression is a little coffee-like tartness with a burnt character. I would like to describe it better, but the aroma is weak. Dark chocolate once in a whiff. A few swirls and plenty of malty sweetness becomes evident. Even two days before it's freshness date, there's some hop aroma to be found: this is fine by me and not against the style either, but I do not deem hop aroma necessary in a dark ale of this kind. Again, this hop aroma is once in a whiff.

Taste 3/5
Sweet to begin with, with some roasty bitterness in the finish. Hoppy bitterness is also present. The coffee-like tartness of smell is very present, and compliments the initial sweetness. The taste wasn't impressive but the aftertaste is better and flavorful with specialty malts. Finish leans towards bitter but is not dry by any means: it is medium-long; there's bitterness, there's roast, and there's sweet. This will make a good session beer paired with food, but on its own, it's not much of an experience.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Thin and unimpressive. Glad that this beer was warm enough or it would've been harsh, which might be desirable in an IPA or Pilsner, but would've been thoroughly confusing here. Carbonation is at a suitable level.

Drinkability 5/5
It's low in alcohol, it has light body, so you could drink a few, but the question I'd ask myself is, what's the point? Yet, the fact remains that it could be a solid session beer.

3.52/5  rDev -12%

Probably my least favorite offering by this great brewery. the appearance in my tumbler is impressive, but that's about where it stops. Not a bad brew by any stretch; just not a favor to my liking. The body seems too thin. The aroma is a pleasant burnt, cloyiness that is not very pungent. This is the second time I have had this and the taste didn't differ.

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: It poured a very dark brownish/black color that some reddish tints when held up to the light. A nice dark tan head formed and left a lace of foam on the glass.

Smell: As soon as I poured it into the glass, I could smell the smoked malt. That pretty much drowned everything else out and that was all I could smell. I might have served this beer a little too cold which would mask some of the flavors. I'll have to revisit this one.

Taste: The smoked malt was the most prevelant and obvious flavor given the name of the beer. I though Stone did a good job of still have the "regular" malt flavor come through and mix with the smoked, but the smoked flavor overpowered anything else.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation was the first thing that I noticed. It was very smooth and didn't overpower like i was expecting after the first sip. It was gone as quick as it came in.

Drinkability: Overall, I think this is a good beer. Something I'll probably keep in my fridge, but possibly in small quantities. The smoked flavor started to bother me a little towards the end of the beer. I think I could enjoy one or two of these in a session and then have to move on. I started to think about an odd analogy for this...so here it is...but i warned you, it's odd. It's like when you meet this hot girl who smokes. The sex will probably be great, but she'll taste like an ashtray...I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Hey....at least you got laid!! :-)

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Drank on-tap at Deep Ellum, Allston, MA

Poured a deep brown/black with a two-finger, bubbly, cocoa-colored head that slowly faded to a thick ring of lace. Large, irregular-shaped patches of lacing coated the glass.

Aroma was was quite subtle at first but became somewhat more noticeable as the beer warmed. Dark malts, bittersweet chocolate and coffee beans came through in the nose.

Taste was rather mild and tame. The beer was somewhat sharp up front (I believe this was due to the alcohol) before the roasted malts, bitter espresso and hints of dark chocolate became apparent. By mid-palate the hops kicked in and lasted well into the finish, where they became quite strong. The lingering aftertaste consisted of a mix of roasted malts and a moderate smokiness.

Mouthfeel was rather thin (yet creamy) and the body was fairly light for the style.

I expected more in general from this beer (more intensity, more complexity and more body). Overall, this was a disappointment.

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance - Very dark brown, almost black body with a dark-cream head.

Smell - A little stale and cardboard like. Slight chocolate malt and coffee.

Taste - Very oaky and nutty. Plenty of alcohol and with astringency to boot.

Mouthfeel - Very clean body and very little residue. A little too flat.

Overall Drinkability - Decent porter. Could use some more carbonation and more complexity. Good but a little too one dimensional.

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for picking one of these up during his last trip into ILinwaah. I saw this for years on shelves in Wisconsin and never picked it up.

A: First off I drink so many sours now when I do drink other styles I get excited to actually see head and solid retention. This one certainly fits the bill. Pitch black body. Huge two or three fingers of cream hued head. Long lasting retention and thick lace rings left behind. Looks great.

S: Roasted dark malts, black coffee, hints of chocolate and mild hops. Not much smoke though. Not complaining since I hate smoke beers.

T: Dry cocoa powder, black coffee and a rather robust hop profile. Wow who would have ever thought? A Stone beer that's hop loaded. Way to go Stone. We get it already. Not much smoke. Again not complaining.

M: Medium body with light carbonation.

O: Just another porter.

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a mahogany color with a half finger tan head with a somewhat uneven ring of lacing.

Scent roasted malts and cocoa powder with smoke and a hint of oak.

Taste of smoke and light cocoa with some roasted malts and alcohol. Not as balanced as it could be, but that doesn't mean it's bad by any means.

Mouthfeel is smooth and flat.

I didn't enjoy this beer as much as I could have, it's too smokey for my taste. I could recommend it to try, but I don't know if I will be picking this one up again.

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance- ½ in light mocha color head. Dark black with brown edges. Head fades at medium pace. Nice lacing and cant see carbonation due to its so dark.

Smell- Stronger scent. Maybe smoke with lots of malts, and light hops?

Taste- Smokey aftertaste with a light bitterness to it but not much. Malty, don’t know what flavor that I’m tasting (after reading others reviews on BA it made sense and I tasted it that it’s a light coffee taste). Can taste the smokiness though especially when it warms up comes out pretty strong and in aftertaste. Not to hoppy I believe. There’s a light bitterness to it probably from the hops coming through. Flavors come out more when it warms.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with light carbonation but it is there as a light bite at first.

Drinkabilty- Wish I could tell what the taste is (found out it is probably coffee), tastes familiar. It’s better the more I drank. This did make me want to try more porters. Was kind of glad when it was over

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

22oz. Bomber from Party Source poured into a pint glass.

A: 2finger+ Tan head. Good retention and lacing. Pours pitch black letting no light through.

S: Actually kinda citrusy. Some plum/fig notes. Nice and sweet smelling smoke. Reminds me of my smoker filled with hardwood chips soaked in cider.

T/M: BIG smokey malts! Hops are there but are mostly dominated by the smoke. Tasty but probably a little extreme for me. More dark fruits add a touch of sweetness. Body isn't nearly as heavy as I had thought it to be. Getting some slight sourness at the finish.

D: As I said before, it's probably a little too extreme yet for me but I can appreciate it for what it is. Would work good sipping during a winter movie night. This bomber will be enough. I'll try this again around jan. 2009 and see what I think then.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Bomber into a Brooklyn snifter.

Appearance: A near-opaque blackness with bursts of deep red at the bottom of the glass toward the light. Initial head is huge and billowing, but nothing much after that sticks at all and there's little lacing left around the glass, even with subsequent pours.

Smell: More like an oak-aged porter with its woody aromas and mild vanilla, along with subdued and mild roasted malts. Balanced, and seemingly quality stuff, but I expect more from Stone, and this aroma seems to be mimicking so many darker beers I've had lately, which is a bit disappointing.

Taste: Some woodiness, roasted malts, mild coffee. Finishes slightly sour, though a nice subdued roasted malt flavor seems to be there for a while, even though it lacks depth. Smoke? I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, though it lacks creaminess and carbonation and pulls toward a bit of slickness and oiliness.

Drinkability: For all the hype about this beer at least I've been hearing, I'm not unimpressed, just not very impressed. There seem to be many comparable porters across the board, and many better ones. I'm not sure if I can't tell the smoke from anything else, but I was hoping for some predominance, which was something I didn't get. A decent one out of a snifter, but nothing I'll be seeking out again.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Nice black pour, if not a bit watery. Good smell, but where's the smoke? Just kidding, no false advertising puns from now on. Taste was very pleasant, malt and roast all over, with slightly lingering roastiness. East to drink, with just the right amount of carbonation. Maybe the wateriness coming through again. Overall the porter of choice for the supermarket shopper, but nothing that will leave you drooling for more.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a pretty nice translucent brown with a minimal tan head and good lacing. Aroma is pretty light an airy, with only a little bit coming from the smoke. I'd say the best thing about this beer is the blend of the smoke with the roasted malt. It's very subtle, though and I think they could make it a lot more noticeable. Pretty easy to drink but the water quality doesn't quite fit in with the taste of the beer. This beer got a lot of hype and it's decent but if it wasn't in a big Stone bottle I probably wouldn't think much of it.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

Poured out a dark brown color with a brief flash head and minimal lacing, smells and taste mostly of chocolate, coffee, and has a very accessibly light licorice / smoke character to it. Seriously, it's really quite light on the smoke for your typical smoked beer. In that regards, it could serve as an introduction to the style for the neophyte....medium body and carbonation, a fairly by-the-books porter that just happens to have an exciting accent of smoke along for the ride. However, I personally have come to expect a lot more smoke from a smoked beer than what has been presented to me in this brew...

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Stone Smoked Porter: Yup, it’s a smoked porter. You can see a hint of color if you hold this brew up to the light. The head is thin and off-white. The aroma is very earthy. Lots of malt tones come through in the flavor, but stay balanced and not too sweet. The finish brings on the smoky flavors and a bit of bitter aftertaste. Overall, I am not a big smoked porter fan, but if you like this style the Stone rendition lives up to its namesake.

A - pours a jet black with a HUGE head

S - smells of sweet malts, and that's about it

T - the taste is good. There are some chocolate malts, a little bit of caramel, subtle coffee, and a touch of smokiness. The flavors are not bold, but easy to pick out. The flavors meld nicely to deliver a delicious porter.

M - full bodied and a good amount of carbonation

D - I guess I was expecting a lot more smoke and burnt malts. The sweet chocolate taste is what made this really shine. This was a good beer - nothing flashy, yet it held my interest.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: Nice dark brown hue with a small, frosty white head.

Aroma: Smoky malt and hops. Coffee and mocha also present.

Taste: Smoke and coffee throughout, with a hoppy dryness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Coating, but dry. Coffee and chocolate give it good body.

Drinkability: Stronger than most porters I have had, but still a great interpretation. Will try again when I can.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured black, darker than some stouts and certainly darker than most Porters, with about 1/2 inch of light tan head that had low retention and some lacing.

The aroma featured rich malts supporting the even, balanced (there's a word rarely used about Stone) smokiness. There was just a trace of hops poking through in the background. The taste was surprisingly crisp, well-defined malts providing the base for the just-right amount of of smoke and that hint of hops.

The body was good, solid and even. As usual with smoke beers, drinkability depends on your tolerance for the smoke. I found this to be much easier to drink than most of the style, I might even have 2 in a row.

Overall, a very nice beer, worth trying when you see it.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into some kind of beer pint glass. The color is black with a little amber at the edges. There is a thin light tan head.

The aroma is mildly sweet and chocolatey.

The taste is bitter sweet with a hefty dose of chocolate. The finish is a bit drier and a little crisp.

The mouthfeel is light to medium with a good prickly carbonation.

Tasty but not as smokey as one would hope.

Reviewed solo.

Appearance: deep and dark brown with little head

Smell: roasted coffee and powdered dark chocolate.

Taste: opens with a mild coffee bitter as a smoky and coffee bitter/ sour comes in as a mild malt profile finishes the sip leaving a mildly smoky coffee bitter.

Moutfeel: light bodied and rather dry. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I would have this again and recommend this to someone who enjoys a smoky porter that have a rich coffee bitter/ sour in the middle to end.

3.49/5  rDev -12.8%

Black body with a small one finger brown head that didnt last to long.Nice lacing and some bubbles coming up to the top of the beer.Some darkfruit and roasted smells and chocolate bitterness towards the end of the taste.I taste some bite from the smoke and maybe some vanilla in there as well.Mouthful is just right,with the right amount of carbonation and very coating.Mouthful is a bit heavy But its nothing I wouldnt like to have more of in this type of beer.Great beer and well worth the wait and hype,I would recommend people to check this out when they see it.It cost me $7.00 for a bottle,the first few times I saw it for that price I thought it was a bit steep but I caved in and had a great time with the beer.Great Job STONE!

Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing Co.